PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Sell Dann

dilem
17-05-2017, 09:21 PM
Purely from a financial sense, it seems like our wage bill has crept up very quickly. Benteke Wilf certainly over 100k a week, with cabaye remy mandanda townsend dann all near it. Allegedly.

Obviously mandanda and remy leaving, but it still seems we need some room to afford fee and wages for Sakho, which i suspect means we will need to sell one of cabaye and dann.

Cabaye under allardyce has been crucial, and our midfield is massively lacking depth - we need around two midfielders as it is.

Dann however, is seemingly 3rd choice behind tomkins sakho - and with kelly proving himself an adequete backup if one player had to be lost to finance the keeping of Wilf and sakho unfortunantly for me it would have to be Dann.

Thoughts?

maestro
17-05-2017, 09:22 PM
No way

Dann is quality, just had a bad season

dilem
17-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Better than Sakho and Tomkins though?
Agree he is a good player - but is much less important than cabaye is.

maestro
17-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Imo better than Tomkins

palaceboy1
17-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Feck me !! We just survived because of injuries to our centre backs and you want to ship one out

JDawg
17-05-2017, 09:32 PM
Dann
Delaney
Tomkins
Kelly
and Sakho assuming we get a crack at buying him.

5 of the 25. I know a lot of them got crocked but that is too many if we want to bolster other areas.

PHIL BARBER
He is going BFS doesnt rate him................

HRS
There's no way we can offload Dann. Bringing in Sakho might strengthen the first team but if it means losing one of our other CB's then the squad will be just as weak as it is now. If we can't afford Sakho then so be it, find a cheaper alternative.

cpfcben
17-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Complete crap. Currently our best defender on the books. An injury free season in the summer and a good pre-season he will be just fine.

JDawg
17-05-2017, 09:35 PM
What happened to the likes of Boeteng?

Excowboy
17-05-2017, 09:38 PM
Can't imagine he's on a massive wage and he's a good proven Premier League centre-back. We'd have to spend a fair bit to replace him and probably pay more wages, plus we saw this year how crucial back-up is at CB.

Doesn't make any sense at all to me to sell him.

Danny boy
17-05-2017, 09:40 PM
No way

This. Although Kelly has played ok recently he's nowhere near as good as Dann yet.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-05-2017, 09:45 PM
No way. Not unless a very big bid comes in - I mean everyone has a price. But once the side turned the corner, Dann also performed very well again. Having three CBs who you would be happy to start with is essential - particularly as Allardyce likes to use 3 CBs at times.

I would only do it if there was no other way to get Sakho in.

Nostrils
17-05-2017, 09:48 PM
He was playing in a defensive unit with no real structure. Think he'll come back right on form.

Jim Cannon
17-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Imo better than Tomkins

Not in the opinion of the manager I suspect. Don't see him being sold and we need him

dilem
17-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Nice of everyone to respond without engaging in any of my reasons offered.
He's a quality defender, but given age and imoortance to team would people really not want to sell him if it allowed us to keep cabaye sakho zaha?

Jim Cannon
17-05-2017, 09:52 PM
He's a quality defender, but given age and imoortance to team would people really not want to sell him if it allowed us to keep cabaye sakho zaha?

He is only 30 not 34 or 35. How much are we going to get? Not the 15M plus once talked of. Then we would need to replace him with a presumably younger player and just ends up costing a lot of money. No point or real need in doing it at the moment imo

DARZET EAGLE
17-05-2017, 09:52 PM
What happened to the likes of Boeteng?

He's not a centre half.

in-exile
17-05-2017, 09:53 PM
I agree with the OP ... Time to sell him .

Dodds
17-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Must keep.

dilem
17-05-2017, 09:55 PM
He is only 30 not 34 or 35. How much are we going to get? Not the 15M plus once talked of. Then we would need to replace him with a presumably younger player and just ends up costing a lot of money. No point or real need in doing it at the moment imo

Read what i posted.
Sakho will cost 30mill + 100k pw.

We cannot afford that given 40mill jan spend without some sales.

Bones14
17-05-2017, 09:55 PM
Personally I say no.
Gotta replace him as well, who with?
Had a poor season, yes, but so did nearly everyone at the club bar a couple. If he's not going to be first choice, he'll be a cracking backup which is what we've been crying out for.

El Aguila
17-05-2017, 09:58 PM
I think he is on a big wage; and wouldn't start if everyone was fit and if we sign Sakho. Been wondering about this for a while.

Jim Cannon
17-05-2017, 09:59 PM

Staying then. Cheers Phil

Officer Dibble
17-05-2017, 09:59 PM

But that's not the question to be asked. Bottom line, we need 5 centre backs. So if Dann gets sold, he'll need replacing. And it'll cost us as much to replace him as we would receive.
Finding the funds to keep Wilf & Cabaye and to buy Sakho isn't dependent on selling a key squad member.

Jim Cannon
17-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Read what i posted.

With respect - I like you as a poster btw, but we have no fecking clue what the club's budget is or how they intend to work things out. We could be about to offload a lot of players this summer and even if they dont generate much in the way of fees, their departure will free up money in wages.

DARZET EAGLE
17-05-2017, 10:01 PM

Dann is just 30, a great age for a centre back. He has shown real quality in the past, even touted as a future England centre half. Injuries stifled his performances this season, and playing with the well organised structured defence under Sam, rather than the mess under Pardew, he will flourish once again. We must keep him.

MasterYoda
18-05-2017, 05:25 AM
He'd cost more to replace so a pointless exercise. He's not being eyed up by big clubs any more

elgin eagle
18-05-2017, 05:40 AM
The wage bill argument is valid but this season proved you need a lot of centre backs/versatile players. We'll be saving a lot off the wage bill once people like Remy depart and become Chelseas problem again. Personally i'd like 18 pros and 7 talented kids to ease into the first team. A bit like Everton. I wouldn't sell Dann as he is quality when not burdened with the captaincy of a defence without left backs and defensive midfield cover.

Ardent Eagle Forever
18-05-2017, 05:43 AM
Is SA on record as saying he doesn't rate Scott Dann? I've not heard anything. More useless speculating trolls on the BBS?

CharlieCPFC
18-05-2017, 05:46 AM
The captain responsibility looks like it may have affected him, look at Cahill you don't lose it with age as a center half. Scott Dann on form is a top, top center half at this level. Sakho, Tomkins and Dann is exactly the kind of strength in depth you need to be a top 10 club.

CheeseRolls
18-05-2017, 05:48 AM
Its been suggested he has a highest paid defender clause in his contract.

Depending on what happens with the incoming CB, I can see him going if we can find a suitor.

st albans
18-05-2017, 06:08 AM
If we were to sign sakho then we would have an overload of CBs, especially after extending Damos contract. I can't see him being first choice next season and can't see him sitting on the bench either. Sakho, tomkins, Kelly and Delaney would be fine for next season (assuming no injuries again....)

Jim Cannon
18-05-2017, 06:09 AM
Its been suggested he has a highest paid defender clause in his contract.

Depending on what happens with the incoming CB, I can see him going if we can find a suitor.

Where has that been suggested?

TheCharmer1
18-05-2017, 06:09 AM
Read what i posted.

and ffp

Jim Cannon
18-05-2017, 06:12 AM
and ffp

When we see an example of somebody breaching FFP and getting seriously punished for it I might take it seriously. It's a joke. Bournemouth must be well in breach of it, QPR took the piss completely and nothing happens

chandlem68
18-05-2017, 06:27 AM
Are we now officially into silly season?

Stavros 69
18-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Worst suggestion ever!

racehorse-80s
18-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Will sell too many good players too soon .

NateEagle
18-05-2017, 07:46 AM
This is crazy talk. If we got Sakho he would be the second choice CB imo, if we don't then he is still first choice for me. Him and Sakho would be excellent. He struggled a little alongside Damo but so has everyone!

glaziers fan
18-05-2017, 07:47 AM
We haven't even signed Sakho, and even if we do I'd like to see Dann given a chance alongside. We can't afford to let any first teamers depart. Even the likes of McArthur and Puncheon need to stay - we need more strength in depth. So he needs to stay even if he is not a first teamer.

Thin on Top
18-05-2017, 08:04 AM
Dann is just 30, a great age for a centre back. He has shown real quality in the past, even touted as a future England centre half. Injuries stifled his performances this season, and playing with the well organised structured defence under Sam, rather than the mess under Pardew, he will flourish once again. We must keep him.

This all day long, can't believe people on here think it's best to let him go.

Bungalow
18-05-2017, 08:08 AM
No way. Keep him. Had a great season last year. Not so good this but hopefully he can shake off the knee problem over the summer and be back to top form for next year.

He is Prem league quality and I suspect good value for money wages wise in todays market.

jhc
18-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Sell Dann!!!

And buy?

TWELLSEagle
18-05-2017, 08:15 AM
No frikin way. Where do people get these hair brained ideas? Sell Dann and Cabaye because they're depreciating assets? They're not shares ffs. They're integral to the team we are building. Cabaye to the first team and Dann as a quality first choice/first reserve centre back.

dilem
18-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Yeah true that my assumptions are based off rumoured wages and guesses of how muvh we can continue to spend

But at the end of the day, as steve parish said, the january window was very expenive and risky. Hopefully we can keep dann cabaye sakho wilf - all i'm saying is, if we have to let one go Dann is the logical choice.

dilem
18-05-2017, 08:22 AM
No frikin way. Where do people get these hair brained ideas? Sell Dann and Cabaye because they're depreciating assets? They're not shares ffs. They're integral to the team we are building. Cabaye to the first team and Dann as a quality first choice/first reserve centre back.

Read the original post properly then you may understand.
Unless you think we can have dann cabaye sakho wilf townsend benteke all on 80-130k a week with one of the smallest revenues in the premier leauge... Not sustainable is it.

dilem
18-05-2017, 08:22 AM
Sell Dann!!!

And buy?

Did you read the post? Sakho

Zohar's Penalty
18-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Delete thread

SilentAssassin
18-05-2017, 08:35 AM

http://i65.tinypic.com/35hn2iv.jpg

TheCharmer1
18-05-2017, 08:42 AM
We haven't even signed Sakho, and even if we do I'd like to see Dann given a chance alongside. We can't afford to let any first teamers depart. Even the likes of McArthur and Puncheon need to stay - we need more strength in depth. So he needs to stay even if he is not a first teamer.

Puncheon is the captain, hes not going anywhere

ExiledStirling
18-05-2017, 08:43 AM
I have a moral problem with the amount of money footballers can get now, but considering the amount of money sloshing about in football nowadays is having a number of 100k plus a week earners on the books really a problem to Palace?

elgin eagle
18-05-2017, 08:47 AM
I have a moral problem with the amount of money footballers can get now, but considering the amount of money sloshing about in football nowadays is having a number of 100k plus a week earners on the books really a problem to Palace?

That was probably the total wage bill for the squad 6 years ago. Mad how much it has grown by.

palacea
18-05-2017, 08:50 AM
Cabaye under allardyce has been crucial, and our midfield is massively lacking depth - we need around two midfielders as it is.

Thoughts?

Dann needs to stay, and recently signed a new contract.

As for our central midfield both Cabaye and McArthur contracts expire in 2018.

It's probably a good bet one of them will leave, Cabaye would be my bet.

palacea
18-05-2017, 08:53 AM
I think he is on a big wage; and wouldn't start if everyone was fit and if we sign Sakho. Been wondering about this for a while.

Good Point an expensive wage to be sat on the bench.

But who will be willing to match 65k a week for a 30 year old defender who's contract expires at Palace in 2020?

PalaceSi
18-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Sam made the point that the new sky deal will mean that its harder and harder to recruit without offering silly contracts so teams will try and keep players on their current deals for longer and do less business if possible.
In Dann's this means there's no way we'd sell him because he'd be impossible to replace.
He's a quality experienced centre back, something we've been desperately short of and this season has shown that even having four of them isn't enough, its is probably the most vital position on the pitch.

exiledeagle
18-05-2017, 09:18 AM
No way I would want him to go . However central defence is a concern

Dann Seems to be picking up injuries too often now
Tomkins Looking at his career , misses about a third of games each season
Delaney Will only be used in emergencies
Kelly Back up only as is not good enough as regular
Sakho The overall package is too much and will stop us improving other areas .

TWELLSEagle
18-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Unless you think we can have dann cabaye sakho wilf townsend benteke all on 80-130k a week with one of the smallest revenues in the premier leauge... Not sustainable is it.

How on earth do you know what's sustainable? What is our revenue? I think the priority is to shift some of the dead weights in the squad who are also on reasonable wages, such as much and fraiser (bless him).

Plus our owners have significant wealth now so it may well be feasible to run the club at a loss for a number of years, at the same time investing in infrastructure and building the brand and long term legacy. There are various unquantifiable benefits to becoming a top 10 prem club, it's not all about revenue. We do need to increase the revenue certainly and it won't be sustainable in the longer term, but for the time being it may be. It's less risky than getting rid of cabaye/Dann and getting unproven players in, damaging morale and flirting with relegation.

Elephant with mouse gyp
18-05-2017, 09:33 AM
I prefer Dann to Tomkins and Kelly as he is the cleverest footballer and best passer of the three, particularly those long diagonals that are crucial to our style. He's had a stop start season to forget, but was great before. Lack of pace can be an issue when we are chasing the game, but our default is to sit back where it doesn't matter as much. On form, he's also good for a fair share of goals a season. Ideally, we'd be replacing Kelly and Delaney to have four good centre backs.

Nigelbrag
18-05-2017, 09:37 AM
It's a tricky call to make, i am a big fan of Scotty and he is still a commanding CB when fully fit, and far too good to be 3rd choice and should Not be.
The problem we then face is, Tomkins and Dann cannot play as a pairing as they do not complement eachother's play, so it needs to be one or the other alongside Sakho (assuming he signs) to give the central defence balance, this would be my concern if we signed Kone should Sakho not join, as a combination of Tomkins, Dann and Kone would Not go.
The other alternative would be and this would be my preference, is to play a Back Three with Tomkins on the right side, Dann central, and Sakho on the left side which would give us a solid spine especially with Luka sitting in front of them sweeping, with those Three and Benteke would pose a real threat at corners and freekicks into the box.
So as for selling SD, a huge error if it happened.

Palace121
18-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Sorry, I can't be bothered to read the whole thread but are some people seriously suggesting that Tomkins is better than Dann? That's ridiculous.

El Aguila
18-05-2017, 09:58 AM
I think Tomkins is "better" than Dann - he's more collected, calmer - but, more importantly, I think Sam Allardyce does as well and doesn't want to play them together.

Palace121
18-05-2017, 10:11 AM
I think Tomkins is "better" than Dann - he's more collected, calmer - but, more importantly, I think Sam Allardyce does as well and doesn't want to play them together.

None of that is true. If both of them were fully fit, they would be starting together.

You, Mr Aguila, have a very short memory. Dann is perfectly calm and collected. In fact, sometimes maybe a little bit too calm (see Aston Villa / Benteke) - rarely though may I add.

Elephant with mouse gyp
18-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Possibly I was a bit scarred by Tomkins's start. He must have been part responsible for half the goals we let in. Also, haven't seen as much of the passing skills as I'd hoped. But yeah, if BFS rates him higher than Dann, Dann's future at palace looks short.

El Aguila
18-05-2017, 10:23 AM
None of that is true. If both of them were fully fit, they would be starting together.

You, Mr Aguila, have a very short memory. Dann is perfectly calm and collected. In fact, sometimes maybe a little bit too calm (see Aston Villa / Benteke) - rarely though may I add.

I don't think they would, if there was a good left footed option, i.e. Sakho.
I think it's fair enough to prefer either of them, Scott Dann offers a bit more threat in attack and those nifty longer passes, Tomkins is always looking for the shorter pass to one of the midfielders. Seems like he has more peripheral vision and awareness of where opponents and team mates are. They both seem to get injured, Tomkins is a few years younger.
The point is they're competing for the same position, really. And, do you need five senior centre backs?

Lprkorngod
18-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Dann/Tomkins/Sakho for when we play 3 at the back with Kelly/Delaney for cover

carter
18-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Scott Dann is one of the best defenders that has played for the club in the last 20 odd years. He gets in to many people's all time 11. Very good with the ball for a centre half. Selling him would be absoloutely ridiculous

adman50
18-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Dann is absolute class.

Madness people would sell him.

It's clear he has been playing injured/unfit for some time so having him back will be like a new signing next season.

mb23
18-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Keep. We want to improve the depth of our squad, not worsen it.

If we sign Sakho, I'd say we have the best CB quintet outside of the Champions League. Sakho, Dann, Tomkins with Kelly and Damo as back ups is quality.

DARZET EAGLE
18-05-2017, 10:53 AM
If we were to sign sakho then we would have an overload of CBs, especially after extending Damos contract. I can't see him being first choice next season and can't see him sitting on the bench either. Sakho, tomkins, Kelly and Delaney would be fine for next season (assuming no injuries again....)

Big assumption mate, keep Dann.

wrightchipvcfc
18-05-2017, 11:06 AM
A fully fit Dann is a vital member of the squad injurys and not being able to cope with them can relegate a club

muswell eagle
18-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Dann/Tomkins/Sakho for when we play 3 at the back with Kelly/Delaney for cover

This is the point. 3 at the back was a disaster against Sunderland, but that was before Sakho was ready. With a full pre-season to bed it in, I think we will play it more often than not. Sam used it to see out some big games this season.

We need Sakho and a proper right wing back to make it work.

jimmy the gent
18-05-2017, 11:14 AM
No way

Very much this. A side that does not have 3 CB's of more or less equal ability will always struggle, injuries suspensions loss of form take their toll all over pitch, but at CB stability is crucial. Sam knows this. Also Dann is close to Sammy Lee and has been since a youngster at Blackburn (i believe). Can't see him leaving, from a personal point of view it wouldn't make sense, after last season he won't get a better gig elsewhere, and clearly a fit and fresh Dann would compete with whoever else is here for a starting role. Competition in this position keeps everyone on their toes.

Palace121
18-05-2017, 11:32 AM
I don't think they would, if there was a good left footed option, i.e. Sakho. I think it's fair enough to prefer either of them, Scott Dann offers a bit more threat in attack and those nifty longer passes, Tomkins is always looking for the shorter pass to one of the midfielders. Seems like he has more peripheral vision and awareness of where opponents and team mates are. They both seem to get injured, Tomkins is a few years younger. The point is they're competing for the same position, really. And, do you need five senior centre backs?

I was taking Sakho out of the equation. Understandably, it would only be one of Tomkins or Dann when Sakho's around (unless we go 3-5-2) but for me, it'd be Scotty every time.

Worse problems to have...please sign Sakho!

pgw152
18-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Dann is a keeper. Er, now then, off to the keeper thread...

aj4england
18-05-2017, 11:58 AM
Injuries and lack of form would suggest sell. Unsure we would get anywhere near the money that we would need to replace.

glaziers fan
18-05-2017, 12:21 PM

I think Tomkins was exposed earlier in the season with the lack of protection in front of him. I think that he is a top player though, and I'd ideally like us to go 3 at the back so we could accommodate both SD and JT.

pardew's shorts
18-05-2017, 12:28 PM
The only way I would countenance getting rid of Dann is if it meant we got Sakho or Ben Gibson AND Simon Kjaer.

Chris Finch
18-05-2017, 12:28 PM
This thread shows how fickle football fans are
12 less appearances than last season, still chipped in with 3 goals

elgin eagle
18-05-2017, 12:39 PM
It's a tricky call to make, i am a big fan of Scotty and he is still a commanding CB when fully fit, and far too good to be 3rd choice and should Not be.
The problem we then face is, Tomkins and Dann cannot play as a pairing as they do not complement eachother's play, so it needs to be one or the other alongside Sakho (assuming he signs) to give the central defence balance, this would be my concern if we signed Kone should Sakho not join, as a combination of Tomkins, Dann and Kone would Not go.
The other alternative would be and this would be my preference, is to play a Back Three with Tomkins on the right side, Dann central, and Sakho on the left side which would give us a solid spine especially with Luka sitting in front of them sweeping, with those Three and Benteke would pose a real threat at corners and freekicks into the box.

Got goals in him too. Would be a mistake to sell him imo.

How does a highest paid defender clause work though? If we sign Sakho on 100,000 per week do we then have to give Dann a new 101,000 per week contract? Bit of a game changer, that.

milky87
18-05-2017, 12:44 PM
I can not believe some people would sell him.

Dann is arguably one of the best centre halves ever to play for Palace. He had a dip in form when the whole team had a dip in form. He is twice the player Tomkins will ever be

Stavros 69
18-05-2017, 12:49 PM

Dann is arguably one of the best centre halves ever to play for Palace. He had a dip in form when the whole team had a dip in form. He is twice the player Tomkins will ever be

He is certainly not twice the player Tompkins is.
However I would not sell him.

milky87
18-05-2017, 12:59 PM
He is certainly not twice the player Tompkins is.
However I would not sell him.

I still can't forgive Tomkins for moving out the way of the ball at Leicester

JamTheEagle
18-05-2017, 01:00 PM
State of this thread.

Bungalow
18-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Where have people got the idea that BFS doesn't rate Dann from? He's hardly played since BFS has been manager.

Nostrils
18-05-2017, 01:16 PM
I still can't forgive Tomkins for moving out the way of the ball at Leicester
Even after hobbling around as CF as a result of that horrific tackle at Anfield, and last week playing through the pain?

Bungalow
18-05-2017, 01:17 PM
We need Tomkins AND Dann by the way. Tomkins' recent run in the team has done him good.

milky87
18-05-2017, 01:23 PM
Even after hobbling around as CF as a result of that horrific tackle at Anfield, and last week playing through the pain?

He went up a bit in my estimation for that :D

orp pisshead1
18-05-2017, 01:40 PM
He went up a bit in my estimation for that :D

:D
Know what you mean though mate as several times earlier in the season he was imo cowardly in defence but he won't be under SA that's for sure.

DARZET EAGLE
18-05-2017, 02:16 PM
Possibly I was a bit scarred by Tomkins's start. He must have been part responsible for half the goals we let in. Also, haven't seen as much of the passing skills as I'd hoped. But yeah, if BFS rates him higher than Dann, Dann's future at palace looks short.

I'm sure Sam rates him. He's a very good defender who has been affected by the weight of captaincy in my opinion.

knowlesyUCLA
18-05-2017, 04:31 PM
The main aim of this summer is to build squad depth and quality. Selling Dann totally undermines that aim given he is a starter at present.

El Aguila
18-05-2017, 04:38 PM
I can't remember the last time he started.
None of us is going to sell Dann, or keep him. Dilem is just asking the question, what the club will do. Will losing Remy and Mandanda make room for all the salaries everyone wants to pay - or do we shed another high earner because we have no alternative?
If we do - here's a question - Cabaye or Dann?

4 cryingOutloud
18-05-2017, 08:11 PM
I can't remember the last time he started.
None of us is going to sell Dann, or keep him. Dilem is just asking the question, what the club will do. Will losing Remy and Mandanda make room for all the salaries everyone wants to pay - or do we shed another high earner because we have no alternative?
If we do - here's a question - Cabaye or Dann?

You're quite right. Everyone has their price.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-05-2017, 12:56 PM
The more I think about this - musing a bit on the train to Old Trafford, I think it is actually possible. If it means we could sign Sakho, it could make sense. We probably do need to make some sales somewhere. The question for me is whether he would command enough of a fee (after a difficult and injury plagued season) to make it worth our while.

If we want sign the kind of players people want, there will almost definitely have to be some sales too. Dann and dare I say it Cabaye, both in the 30s, are probably two of the more obvious choices.

dilem
21-05-2017, 01:13 PM
The more I think about this - musing a bit on the train to Old Trafford, I think it is actually possible. If it means we could sign Sakho, it could make sense. We probably do need to make some sales somewhere. The question for me is whether he would command enough of a fee (after a difficult and injury plagued season) to make it worth our while.

If we want sign the kind of players people want, there will almost definitely have to be some sales too. Dann and dare I say it Cabaye, both in the 30s, are probably two of the more obvious choices.

Yeah this is what i was trying to suggest; before being shot down. Losing both cabaye and dann would be too big a blow however (IMO) and losing Dann would probably be the lesser of two evils. Hopefully parish wins the lottery and we dont have to worry about it.

Martin H
21-05-2017, 01:31 PM

I think this is the case.

There is no doubt that for a long while Scott was our best CB but he has always had regular and costly lapses of concentration and he lacks pace. He has great, obvious strengths and is a likeable player but looking at it clinically I think for that cash we should be doing better. So I do expect him to make room for someone else. Would expect there to be buyers around. Guarantee he will score against us in both matches.

BFS knows a CB and TBH whatever he decides works for me. Kone keeps being mentioned but he hasn't had a great season after looking brilliant the year before.

PHIL BARBER
21-05-2017, 01:38 PM
He will be going BFS thinks he lacks guts , he likes tough no nonsense CB

audreytatou
21-05-2017, 01:43 PM
if Scott's head's in it then that's marvelous!! BFS likes mental toughness.....

Lombardo's hair
21-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Dann
Delaney
Tomkins
Kelly
and Sakho assuming we get a crack at buying him.

5 of the 25. I know a lot of them got crocked but that is too many if we want to bolster other areas.
No too many if we start playing 5 3 2 or 3 5 2 which I think sam may be interested in

SilentAssassin
21-05-2017, 04:17 PM
He will be going BFS thinks he lacks guts , he likes tough no nonsense CB

Source?

dilem
21-05-2017, 04:20 PM
I have a strong hunch BFS agrees with me aand we will see him make way too fund new players. Lets see.

Thefunkymonk
21-05-2017, 04:22 PM
I have a strong hunch BFS agrees with me aand we will see him make way too fund new players. Lets see.

Think you could be right

maestro
21-05-2017, 04:24 PM
Sell kelly instead

dilem
21-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Sell kelly instead

Dann = fee of 10-15mill and 85k a week cleared. Kelly proven to be a good backup - would rather sell him ofc but would free up nowhere near same amount of money.

Dann Out Sakho and Kirchoff in is my guess of what will happen.

CP-RJW
21-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Dann = fee of 10-15mill and 85k a week cleared. Kelly proven to be a good backup - would rather sell him ofc but would free up nowhere near same amount of money.

Please not Kirchhoff, we don't need more sicknotes.

glayzier
21-05-2017, 04:46 PM
What would be nice is if we could have a nice quiet summer without, who should we sell, who should we buy, who are we going to buy, who have we bought......it'll just happen when it happens. Peace n love and enjoy the break, it's been a nervous few weeks.

red&blue_moomin
21-05-2017, 08:14 PM

Still made 115M this season. You look at the additional televised matches that the big six get and it makes a huge difference to their bottom line. We had four or five matches over the basic ten. Another five matches is the wages of one really good player eg Sakho.

We want to be in the top 10 we clearly need to improve the first 11 AND the rest of the matchday squad. That means 22 properly decent players.

Right now we have

Mandanda (Who knows might go)
Hennessey (should go)
Jules
Ward
Dann
Tomkins
Kelly
Schlupp
PVA
Pape
Andros
Luka
Punch
Yohan (might be sold)
Jimmy (might be sold)
Wilf (please dont go)
Christian

The rest being either not good enough or injury prone. If any of those above get injured we are screwed. We clearly need cover at RB, RW, ST, a number 10 and improvement at CB.

Ledley out of contract
Campbell out of contract
Fryers out of contract
JB out of contract doesn't count to squad
Flamini out of contract
Kwesi Appiah out of contract

Mutch should go
Lee should go
Remy left already
Johnny Williams should go needs to play isn't going to here

Sully Kai Kai another loan unless he kicks on from the bench

Sako always injured who knows probably going to be sold
Wickham Could be great but always injured

Our squad is too big as it is with the out of contract players gone that brings it down to 24 players of which several need replacing

red&blue_moomin
21-05-2017, 08:28 PM

Three at the back is an BFS tactic so five CBs is for sure something he would want I imagine the squad break down would be

three GK
two RB/RWB
Five CB
two LB/RWB
two RW
two DM
two MF
two LW
Three ST
two AM

Vince Hilaire's Afro
21-05-2017, 08:58 PM
What would be nice is if we could have a nice quiet summer without, who should we sell, who should we buy, who are we going to buy, who have we bought......it'll just happen when it happens. Peace n love and enjoy the break, it's been a nervous few weeks.

Just like the early 80s. Team emerges from the tunnel for the first game, everyone asks each other what the **** happened to x, who is y, scrabble around in the programme for the new names and cross reference it in the Rothman's yearbook to see how many goals they scored last season.n we also seem to be wearing another club's kit.

Once you got your bearings, we're 2-0 down, which is one more goal than we're capable of scoring in one match.

What's on telly tonight?

Timbo
21-05-2017, 09:07 PM

If you don't want Palace news or supporter opinion don't tune into the BBS.......job done :p

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-05-2017, 09:19 PM

Do you think we could still get 10-15m for him though? I'm not sure after this season. 10m maybe, but not sure either.

orp pisshead1
21-05-2017, 09:46 PM
Please not Kirchhoff, we don't need more sicknotes.

This ^^^^^^

glayzier
22-05-2017, 02:26 AM
If you don't want Palace news or supporter opinion don't tune into the BBS.......job done :p
Actually,,,,you might be right. And twats like you are the reason why !!

mroakley9
22-05-2017, 02:29 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/gtakVlnStZUbe/giphy.gif

johnnybacaro
22-05-2017, 02:33 AM
if we get 10m for Dann, then we would need to spend much more for an upgrade. Could be a good squad player and spot starter.

Palace Yankee
22-05-2017, 04:46 AM
Dann's got goals in him too. I like Tompkins, but hell knows where his headers are going. One fine one iirc and the rest were butterflies. Butterflies hate the net.

edited: on--->one

aj4england
22-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Dann's got goals in him too. I like Tompkins, but hell knows where his headers are going. One fine one iirc and the rest were butterflies. Butterflies hate the net.

edited: on--->one

Scott has scored 3 this season but had he played the whole season then probably would have scored 5 or 6 . That's as good as our midfielders and the top scorer ,from defence, in premier league this season. He also hasn't had much chance to work with Sam who improves defenders.

bigend1
22-05-2017, 07:33 AM
:eek:

Sceagle
22-05-2017, 08:31 AM
If we keep Kelly and sell Dann, I will feel sick.

Danny boy
22-05-2017, 08:36 AM
TBH I don't think we should spent most the budget on Sakho if it means we cant spend on other positions. Two central midfielders and a top keeper are much more important.

Dann and Tomkins are more than good enough with Allardyce organising them rather than Pardew.

Skintagain
22-05-2017, 09:04 AM
If we keep Kelly and sell Dann, I will feel sick.

Kelly has been the better player at CB this season. The picture of Dann that is in my mind this year is Costa's headed goal at Selhurst when Dann, next to him didn't jump.

Kelly is very rightsided you can't blame him for being asked to play at LB by Pardew.

Kelly has got the nod from BFS over the last few games as well plus Dann is 30. I don't know what's happened to Dann but he's not been good enough this season, no one will pay 10mil but if they do we should bite their hand off.

Pint of Speroni
22-05-2017, 09:12 AM
Three at the back is an BFS tactic so five CBs is for sure something he would want I imagine the squad break down would be

three GK
two RB/RWB
Five CB
two LB/RWB
two RW
two DM
two MF
two LW
Three ST
two AM

GK: New signing, Speroni, Hennessey

RB: New signing, Ward
CB: Sakho, Tomkins, new signing, new signing, Kelly
LB: Van Aanholt, Schlupp

DM: Milivojevic, new signing
MC: Cabaye, McArthur
AMC: Puncheon, new signing

RW: Zaha, Sako
LW: Townsend, new signing

ST: Benteke, Wickham, New signing

Sell Dann, Lee, Mutch, Joniesta and release the rest.

In reality though we could get away without a new right back as Kelly and Tomkins can play there, and I doubt we'll sign two new centre mids without selling at least one of Cabaye or McArthur.

EDIT: Still got Damo so make that 1 CB as well as Sakho

bigend1
22-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Kelly has been the better player at CB this season. The picture of Dann that is in my mind this year is Costa's headed goal at Selhurst when Dann, next to him didn't jump.

Kelly is very rightsided you can't blame him for being asked to play at LB by Pardew.

Kelly has got the nod from BFS over the last few games as well plus Dann is 30. I don't know what's happened to Dann but he's not been good enough this season, no one will pay 10mil but if they do we should bite their hand off.

Kelly has done well but a lot of that is our low expectations. Dann is a far superior defender when fit. Kelly is ok but nowhere near as good as Dann and a solid run of games would show that. Look at how many times it's ward in there making blocks and clearances when Kelly plays as opposed to Dann or Tomkins. He gets dragged over a lot more and that's due to Kelly. Dann hasn't been fit for most of this season

Danny boy
22-05-2017, 09:24 AM
Kelly has done well but a lot of that is our low expectations. Dann is a far superior defender when fit. Kelly is ok but nowhere near as good as Dann and a solid run of games would show that. Look at how many times it's ward in there making blocks and clearances when Kelly plays as opposed to Dann or Tomkins. He gets dragged over a lot more and that's due to Kelly. Dann hasn't been fit for most of this season

Spot on Kelly has done ok but is poor in the air and not strong enough as a CB. if he is anything more than 4/5 choice we are in trouble.

Thefunkymonk
22-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Spot on Kelly has done ok but is poor in the air and not strong enough as a CB. if he is anything more than 4/5 choice we are in trouble.

Don't think many will disagree.. and I'm sure nobody actually wants Dann gone.. but to pout it simply.. who would you want sakho or Dann? Because that kinda what will happen imo... unless we manage to raise funds from else where.

I don't want Dann or MacArthur to go.. but can see them being sold to improve the squad.

glaziers fan
22-05-2017, 09:59 AM
Don't think many will disagree.. and I'm sure nobody actually wants Dann gone.. but to pout it simply.. who would you want sakho or Dann? Because that kinda what will happen imo... unless we manage to raise funds from else where.

I don't want Dann or MacArthur to go.. but can see them being sold to improve the squad.

I'd like to see a Sakho-Dann partnership next season.

Of our current squad, we must keep PVA, Schlupp, Tomkins, Dann, Milivojevic, Townsend, Zaha and Benteke. The rest are expendable/squad players.

Danny boy
22-05-2017, 10:04 AM

If one has to go then it is McArthur Imo. We should get at least 10m by selling him and Mandanda.

cpfcfan1
22-05-2017, 10:06 AM
6m for mcathur and 4 for Mandanda

glaziers fan
22-05-2017, 10:11 AM
If one has to go then it is McArthur Imo. We should get at least 10m by selling him and Mandanda.

Absolutely. I think Dann would be a better long term partner for Sakho than Tomkins.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
22-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Absolutely. I think Dann would be a better long term partner for Sakho than Tomkins.
Tomkins is a few years younger though.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
22-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Which might not be enough for us to fund Sakho, a new GK, new RB, plus the central midfielder or two that we probably need.

zonin2000
22-05-2017, 10:23 AM

Absolutely. If selling Dann means signing Sakho, I'm all for it.

I was also pro selling Cabaye for similar he's-30-sell-at-peak-of-his-value reasons.

Then I realised how poor we are without Cabaye in the team!

AJ
22-05-2017, 10:24 AM

I don't agree. Kelly played a blinder at Anfield, when no one expected it, but since then has been average at best. One of his biggest problems is that his passing skills are none. Yesterday was a great example, without Cabaye in the team for the short ball, he kept trying to play long balls out of the back and it seemed that all of them would end up at a MU players feet. Without Tomkins or Sakho next to him he has been complete pants, if I am honest.

zonin2000
22-05-2017, 10:26 AM

Is it too much to ask for a Sell Dann thread without and discussion about selling Dann?

wawman_15
22-05-2017, 10:37 AM
There is just no way we can sell him. We have a great defender there and it wasn't long ago we were saying we wouldn't sell to Everton for less than 30m!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
22-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Absolutely. If selling Dann means signing Sakho, I'm all for it.

I was also pro selling Cabaye for similar he's-30-sell-at-peak-of-his-value reasons.

Then I realised how poor we are without Cabaye in the team!
Yep, recent form has made sellng Cabaye look more of a risk - although it always depends on the quality of who we can bring in. I would probably sell McArthur to raise funds but of course Cabaye would presumably command a bigger fee.

adrenalin john
22-05-2017, 10:44 AM
When fit Dann, Cabaye and McArthur have been fantastic for us.

All three have had fitness issues this year so any assessment on keeping or selling has to be with one eye on the medical situation.

I am confident Cabaye and Dann will get back to peak fitness pretty easily. McArthur worries me more.

If Dann has to be sold to fund Sakho then fair enough but who will buy him?

If we sell McArthur to fund Delph then that would be sensational.

I can think of no replacement for Cabaye

Son of Ron
22-05-2017, 10:45 AM
selling Dann would be nuts, 12 months ago most of us wanted him in the England squad ! Tomkins is never fit for more than 3 games in a row anyway and we need at least 4 competent centre backs as we've seen over the last few weeks....Dann, Tomkins, Delaney, Kelly - hopefully Sakho or AN Other.

Surely if we're getting rid of the likes of Mandanda, Souare, Ledley, Sako, Campbell, Flamini, etc that frees up the budget to keep the likes of Dann.

zonin2000
22-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Yep, recent form has made sellng Cabaye look more of a risk - although it always depends on the quality of who we can bring in. I would probably sell McArthur to raise funds but of course Cabaye would presumably command a bigger fee.

And, crucially, Cabaye may want to leave.

Stavros 69
22-05-2017, 11:03 AM
We need at least x3 PL quality CB's (Dann, Tomkins, ?)
Then we have Kelly and DD.

If we sell Dann, it'll cost us a lot to replace.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
22-05-2017, 11:06 AM
And, crucially, Cabaye may want to leave.
Also true.

Ryan_the_eagle
22-05-2017, 11:06 AM

LOL

glaziers fan
22-05-2017, 11:13 AM
When fit Dann, Cabaye and McArthur have been fantastic for us.

All three have had fitness issues this year so any assessment on keeping or selling has to be with one eye on the medical situation.

I am confident Cabaye and Dann will get back to peak fitness pretty easily. McArthur worries me more.

If Dann has to be sold to fund Sakho then fair enough but who will buy him?

If we sell McArthur to fund Delph then that would be sensational.

I can think of no replacement for Cabaye

And all of the above ^^^

As this thread is about Scott Dann though, let me offer some more analysis. You can't judge Scott in a team under Pardew where the midfield was devoid of pace, and there was no-one protecting the centre backs, and with a slow right footer at left back. He would be a completely different player with a) Luka in front b) pace at left back and c) Sakho next door. If he remains injury free I believe we will see him return to his old form. And if he does he will not be far off Sakho in terms of overall ability.

Sakho and Dann could potentially form the best defensive partnership in the league IMHO.

glaziers fan
22-05-2017, 11:16 AM
Tomkins is a few years younger though.

That may be (and I rate Tomkins, as does Big Sam). But Dann on form is twice the player.

sydnsteve
22-05-2017, 11:23 AM
Dann is a v good player temporarily ****ed up by Pardew. We need to get Sakho, and have Tomkins and Dann with him as a back 3 or as our CBs if in a 442.
Whoever is saying Kelly is better at CB, please watch netball.

wedgetail
22-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Get rid of Dann? Madness.

CP-RJW
22-05-2017, 11:25 AM
And all of the above ^^^

As this thread is about Scott Dann though, let me offer some more analysis. You can't judge Scott in a team under Pardew where the midfield was devoid of pace, and there was no-one protecting the centre backs, and with a slow right footer at left back. He would be a completely different player with a) Luka in front b) pace at left back and c) Sakho next door. If he remains injury free I believe we will see him return to his old form. And if he does he will not be far off Sakho in terms of overall ability.

Sakho and Dann could potentially form the best defensive partnership in the league IMHO.

:o

red&blue_moomin
22-05-2017, 11:39 AM
And all of the above ^^^

No not really. They'd be decent and certainly a 10th to 7th CB partnership potentially. But Mama has a howler in him and playing in a more defensive BFS setup makes him look like a world beater as opposed to the very good international class CB that he actually is.

gilesy14
22-05-2017, 11:43 AM
That may be (and I rate Tomkins, as does Big Sam). But Dann on form is twice the player.

That is absolute nonsense.

Danny boy
22-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Which might not be enough for us to fund Sakho, a new GK, new RB, plus the central midfielder or two that we probably need.

I agree. Sakho is a great player but 30m+ 100k a week is likely to be too much when we are short in many positions.

glaziers fan
22-05-2017, 11:57 AM
That is absolute nonsense.

Dann is a bit better in the tackle, a bit better on the ball, a lot better in the air, and a goalscoring threat from set-pieces. Tomkins is a fine player, and a lot more mobile but that's it.

Playing next to Sakho (mobile but not great in the air) I think Dann is a much better fit. But I guess it depends on how we are going to set up: if we continue to play with a deep backline then I'd definitely go with Dann. If we want to push further up the pitch then more of an argument can be made for Tomkins. Personally I'd be quite happy for us to stay deep - didn't enjoy the football under Pardew.

Not just me then.

glaziers fan
22-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Dann is a v good player temporarily ****ed up by Pardew. We need to get Sakho, and have Tomkins and Dann with him as a back 3 or as our CBs if in a 442.
Whoever is saying Kelly is better at CB, please watch netball.

Absolutely. I'd love us to go to a back 3: Sakho---Dann---Tomkins. And then pack the midfield.

Gyro1780
22-05-2017, 12:12 PM
I'm 50/50 on this.
If a good offer comes in it might be best to sell. Maybe Sakho & Kone could be bought?
or...
Next season with a fully fit Dann, Tomkins, (possibly) Sakho with Kelly & Delaney as back up.

gilesy14
22-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Dann is a bit better in the tackle, a bit better on the ball, a lot better in the air, and a goalscoring threat from set-pieces. Tomkins is a fine player, and a lot more mobile but that's it.

Playing next to Sakho (mobile but not great in the air) I think Dann is a much better fit. But I guess it depends on how we are going to set up: if we continue to play with a deep backline then I'd definitely go with Dann. If we want to push further up the pitch then more of an argument can be made for Tomkins. Personally I'd be quite happy for us to stay deep - didn't enjoy the football under Pardew.

Not just me then.

You're doing Tomkins a huge disservice. You only have to look at how much better our defence looked when Tomkins came back in alongside Kelly vs Hull - & that was with Tomkins not fully fit.

He's a leader - he was in charge of that defence vs Hull, & up at Liverpool. He is better on the ball than Dann - I'm not quite sure how you've come to the conclusion that Scott is better in that respect.

It's no coincidence that our defence improved substantially when Sakho & Tomkins were the centre back partnership. Basically, since the 4-0 thrashing vs Sunderland, our defence has been superb. Tomkins has been one of the mainstays of that. I'm not saying Dann is redundant, but there's no proof to say he is any better than Tomkins, let alone twice the player.

Timbo
22-05-2017, 01:15 PM

Its a pity you're seemingly not even bright enough to respond to a light hearted comment without taking offence and offering an insult. :rolleyes: Is your uppitty reply supposed to represent evidence of the peace and love you offered to the BBS in your original post?

Timbo
22-05-2017, 01:26 PM
Is it too much to ask for a Sell Dann thread without any discussion about selling Dann?

:) It would seem so for some