PDA

View Full Version : Summer Subbuteo League/Day of Drinking event

elgin eagle
18-05-2017, 03:52 PM
The close season bores me intensely, to be honest im bored already and it hasnt even started yet.

Does anyone fancy having a summer saturday subbuteo league? Im pretty rusty, having not played for about 30 years, but how hard can it be. We just need a 'stadium' pub and a few players. Beer is compulsory. In fact the subbuteo can take a back seat to the drinking if preferred or fights break out.

http://subbuteoassociation.co.uk/starting-your-own-league/

Not sure if gambling or regional rounds will be allowed, havent really thought that far ahead or indeed through at all to be honest. Good idea, or stupid sleep-deprived one? I had a Wolves team that were the dogs bollocks, they could all jink left or right, or go straight if required. Not sure where they are now, right enough. Anyway, thought I would put it out there in case anyone fancied beer with an excuse .

elgin eagle
18-05-2017, 04:28 PM
Hmm. What's subbuteo dad?

ExiledStirling
18-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Hmm. What's subbuteo dad?
Did you tell him/her that it took an hour to set up, you played it for 10 minutes, realised it was too difficult and a little bit shit, rushed to put it all away, damaging at least one player in the process?

elgin eagle
18-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Did you tell him/her that it took an hour to set up, you played it for 10 minutes, realised it was too difficult and a little bit shit, rushed to put it all away, damaging at least one player in the process?

:)

Sticking the felt onto the chipboard sheet made it a lot easier. Think the Selhurst Park pitch pre/post Desso.

Glaws Eagle
19-05-2017, 03:57 AM

This .....

Had all the teams/floodlights/scoreboard/corner kickers etc ...

But .. it was all for show.

Sold all my stuff a couple of years ago for a pittance.

READING EAGLE
19-05-2017, 05:53 AM
Astro pitch the way to go rolls out and does not wrinkle up

Fatboy
19-05-2017, 06:02 AM

I get from your undertone here that you always played someone called Kevin ?

Worksop Palace
19-05-2017, 06:04 AM
We used to have a summer league exactly like this when I was a kid (minus booze). Home and away legs. Some tricky away ties due to really poor pitch set ups.

I had a (dirty) Leeds team that I meticulously painted a red and blue sash on to with airfix paint. And iirc stood on vince hilaire and snapped the poor geezer in two.

Happy days. I think

jimmy the gent
19-05-2017, 06:53 AM
My cousin Kevin always beat me at Subbuteo.

bubbs11
19-05-2017, 06:55 AM
I was sh*t hot at Subbuteo. Loved it! Could spin and curl the players and everything.

Although it does bring up quite tragic memories where on one fateful afternoon, my older brother playing with his Man U team raced into a 3-0 half time lead against my Palace sash men. I'm afraid a very young Bubbs11 behaved disgracefully and during the half time interval when my brother nipped upstairs for a pee, 3 Man Utd players were crushed to death underfoot in a rage of King Kong proportions. Of course as it was the early 80's, violence naturally ensued once my brother returned and witnessed the carnage.

jimmy the gent
19-05-2017, 07:14 AM
I was sh*t hot at Subbuteo. Loved it! Could spin and curl the players and everything.

He flicked the kick, and i didn't know.

MasterYoda
19-05-2017, 07:17 AM
Think I was joint 3rd in Wales as a junior..... that said a mate of mine won loads and even went abroad for a few subbuteo world cups.

Old Joe Paxton
19-05-2017, 07:40 AM
Do they even make them anymore, I have not played it since around 1981? Asking for a friend etc etc ....

tauranga rob
19-05-2017, 07:44 AM
When I was very young in the 70s, I used to go to Palace games with a bunch of lads several years older than me. Some of them, iirc, got into the Guinness Book of Records for a Subbuteo marathon at the Croydon YMCA. I still have a wholly intact Palace 1971-72 set, which was part of a load of Subbuteo gear I bought from one of those lads in the mid-70s.

I've got a Man Utd set as well. Time to go leg-snapping....

elgin eagle
19-05-2017, 08:04 AM
Do they even make them anymore, I have not played it since around 1981? Asking for a friend etc etc ....

Not sure they do, but if you ever see any at a car boot sale, buy it. Some of the prices on ebay are amazing. Think italians go in for it in a big way.

Which I quite ironic really, because when I used to play my formation quickly became a 0-3-7, with at least 3 players off the pitch and often one on the floor.

art malice
19-05-2017, 08:10 AM
Yeah they still do it. Bought a set from Argos for my boy last year. He loves it. I loved it when I was a kid and also went through a phase house-sharing in my early 20s. Pitch HAS to be nailed to chipboard though otherwise it's like playing football in Belgium in World War One. Or Bloomfield Road.

jimmy the gent
19-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Didn't Palace use to be sold as a Scottish team as well? Stenhousemuir or someone.

elgin eagle
19-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Think I was joint 3rd in Wales as a junior..... that said a mate of mine won loads and even went abroad for a few subbuteo world cups.

To England? ;)

bubbs11
19-05-2017, 08:20 AM
Didn't Palace use to be sold as a Scottish team as well? Stenhousemuir or someone.

I'm sure the early 80's sash kit was paired with Singapore

Coastal Palace
19-05-2017, 08:22 AM
I thought Subbuteo was crap.
Striker was the Rolls Royce of table football games.
:)

MasterYoda
19-05-2017, 08:23 AM
To England? ;)

I know he did Italy as it happened during Italia 90. Ditto the States in 94.

But yes, very witty.

MasterYoda
19-05-2017, 08:24 AM

ICT perhaps?

eastend eagle
19-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Astro pitch the way to go rolls out and does not wrinkle up
^This :p

elgin eagle
19-05-2017, 08:26 AM
I know he did Italy as it happened during Italia 90. Ditto the States in 94.

But yes, very witty.

Thanks

elgin eagle
19-05-2017, 08:42 AM
We used to have a summer league exactly like this when I was a kid (minus booze). Home and away legs. Some tricky away ties due to really poor pitch set ups.

I had a (dirty) Leeds team that I meticulously painted a red and blue sash on to with airfix paint. And iirc stood on vince hilaire and snapped the poor geezer in two.

Happy days. I think

You must have had a hell of a steady hand/good paintbrush. My Palace side were the newer 'lightweights' and all rattled. Sometimes they even became detached from the base. I blame them for our early eighties demise actually. Nobody wanted to 'be Palace' back then.