PDA

View Full Version : Marco Silva resigns from Hull, appointed as new Watford manager

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jolly
25-05-2017, 09:08 AM
just reported on talk sport our new manager possibly ?

hughff
25-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Hard call. Seems to have potential but he (and his team) were utterly clueless at Selhurst. I put him in a box with Moyes and Ranieri as damaged goods in need of rehabilitation. Any of them could be very good but each of them could be relegation fodder.

WorthingEagle
25-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Hard call. Seems to have potential but he (and his team) were utterly clueless at Selhurst. I put him in a box with Moyes and Ranieri as damaged goods in need of rehabilitation. Any of them could be very good but each of them could be relegation fodder.

Their performances against Sunderland and us were quite bizarre. They'd done all the hard work clawing their way back into contention with a highly unlikely run of form, then failed to turn up at all in either game.

Worrying when a team shows absolutely no fight in such important games.

El Aguila
25-05-2017, 09:24 AM
Really, Hugh?
I think he would be very good for us. He's young and has succeeded everywhere, though I guess ultimately at Hull, he failed. He would have a lot more to work with at Palace (and I think he would probably be pleased to work with the backroom staff we already have).

eagle mart
25-05-2017, 09:28 AM
They were worse than Pardew from conceding set-pieces, diabolical zonal marking. They conceded 3 goals or more on 9 occasions.... including the that last game humiliation.

Sounds like a backwards step to me. And regression back to the sort of frustrating football Pardew was producing.

El Aguila
25-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Tactically he has more in common with Allardyce than with Pardew, solide defence and quick counter attacks.
Remember we did get well humped by Sunderland and Man City under Allardyce. And I think we were lucky that Manyoo had their mionds on other things, as well.

jmemour
When Silva arrived Hull sold two of their best players, which made a shit squad even worse. They then brought in a load of players who had never played in the Premier League, mostly on loan. There was a pissed off fanbase who hated their owners. They were bottom of the league.

I think we could do a lot worse. There's a reason Hull fans sung his name for near enough the whole game at Selhurst. I'm not saying he'd be my first choice, I'd rather Ranieri or Mancini, but he did a better job than anyone expected when he arrived at Hull so I'd be happy if we got him in.

JAS78

Bit harsh

Hull were relegation fodder anyway, but he made them competitive 27 points from 21 games before the dead rubber spurs game

Edit : Some wins were Cup so 21 points from 18 PL games

costello
25-05-2017, 09:31 AM
Given that Hull was his first PL experience I thought he did a really good job there.

DiagonalStripes
25-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Their performances against Sunderland and us were quite bizarre. They'd done all the hard work clawing their way back into contention with a highly unlikely run of form, then failed to turn up at all in either game.

Sounds like another team I support lol

Worksop Palace
25-05-2017, 09:33 AM

From the highlights I saw against Sunderland, they battered them

Martin H
Really, Hugh?
I think he would be very good for us. He's young and has succeeded everywhere, though I guess ultimately at Hull, he failed. He would have a lot more to work with at Palace (and I think he would probably be pleased to work with the backroom staff we already have).

TBH when he arrived there the club was in awful shape and so although he didn't avoid relegation, it's tough not to be impressed by how close he got to saving them. The capitulation in the last 3 games was a surprise after getting into the driving seat but injuries didn't help.

gilesy14
He's top of our list.

eagle mart
25-05-2017, 09:35 AM
Interesting mix of unqualified (including mine) opinions.. I wonder what the consensus would be if his surname was Pritchard or Smith.

Conceded 3 or more goals on 9 occasions... and last three games

0-2
4-0
1-7

Sounds to me like he never got to grips with the job at all. They won a few though - but is that enough?

RisZero
He has my backing if he comes, wont lie that I have some concerns over things like Hulls away form but we probably have the better players to improve that already.

As for activating his release clause, he was going to do that regardless. Wouldnt read too much into it.

eagle101
Almost identical record to Allardyce's with us.

BaldEagle96
Personally not over keen on him but think he did a good job at Hull considering the very limited squad he had.

Biggest concern would be when the team were really up against it he then lost to Sunderland and then meekly to us in consecutive games. Okay, we lost to Sunderland as well at home but thankfully that was the wake up call everyone needed and we had the time to change it around.

Anyway if it is him, I am sure we will all give him our total support - for a few games at least for some.

Payroll Legend
25-05-2017, 09:37 AM
He's top of my list.

That's better

Friskey
25-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Pretty much got the same amount amount of points as BFS with a much much worse side. What's not to like?

Great appointment.

El Aguila
25-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Getting to the last three games of the season with a chance of staying up was an achievement with those players. Are there any you would want to see starting in Palace's first team? They sold their best player in January!

smileysmith
25-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Torn on this one. I was impressed with what he managed at Hull, but I don't like zonal marking and am disturbed at his last team's lack of fight against us.

I'm also concerned we don't know his knowledge in the transfer market, which let's be honest, is key for us this summer.

On the plus side, he's young and might actually stay more than one season.

Baffled Bob 2
25-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Certainly would be a popular appointment in my household

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=270504

Jasper
25-05-2017, 09:47 AM
I think he would be a great appointment for us. His career so far has been very impressive, particularly what he achieved at Estoril.

You can point to the last few games at Hull as a bit of a collapse but he did so well to even give a very poor team a chance of staying up (plus that worked out well for us).

BillyTKid
25-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Get him in. Keep little Sam to drill the defensive side of things and buy Sakho and Markovic for £25m from Liverpool. Sorted.

RisZero
I'm also concerned we don't know his knowledge in the transfer market, which let's be honest, is key for us this summer.

I was thinking this myself. Made some good signings at Hull but was likely on a shoestring budget, no idea what he would be like with money (he could be great of course)

If I recall his average time at any club as a manager is under 1.5 years

scro
Pretty much got the same amount amount of points as BFS with a much much worse side. What's not to like?

Great appointment.

I think he remains an unknown quantity when it comes to the premier league though. The performances under big sam were not all good by any stretch of the imagination but the upturn and the context of what big sam has achieved in the premier league previously leaves less room for doubt.

I wouldn't feel unhappy with Silva but I would certainly have some feelings of heading into the unknown.

Ranieri or Hodgson would be disastrous if you ask me. They would represent big mistakes.

El Aguila
25-05-2017, 09:49 AM
Torn on this one. I was impressed with what he managed at Hull, but I don't like zonal marking and am disturbed at his last team's lack of fight against us.

I think he's considered to be a bit of a Clough, taking players who are out of favour or down on their luck and getting them to perform way above their previous level. He's also supposed to be very leticulous in preparation for games. I'm glad we're talking to him. Not sure he's married to zonal marking, I though he inherited that but I could be wrong.

New LP
25-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Can we not just pay the extra and get Sean Dyche? Far more proven and can set up a defence.

tsunamiman
25-05-2017, 09:51 AM
If I recall his average time at any club as a manager is under 1.5 years

This includes the time at Sporting where he got the sack for wearing the wrong suit....

El Aguila
Meticulous, rather than leticulous, though for all I know he may be that as well.

Sleeping Giant
Why would SP who did evrything right with getting SA in suddenly get another manager who can't defend? Hull were dreadful when it really mattered against us and were lucky in many of those home wins (which I watched). He had nothing to lose in that Hull job as they were down anyway. No pressure. Why would we be getting a "think he may be good" manager when we've just lost a "we know he's good and we know we'll stay in this league again next season" guy? Very nervous about all these reports we could be turning back into a comedy club very shortly. He just got relegation on the CV and Palace rush in for him. Excellent.

New LP

Not if we're in the Championship though.

mushroom
25-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Great appointment.

Yep. He did well with a shit squad of players. People need to look at his whole body of work

cdm61
25-05-2017, 09:52 AM

While I agree this is worrying there isn't much a manager can do - save put his team through sports Psychologist...once the brain crumbles under pressure thre is very little that can be done to retreve the situation....like under Pardew and Sunderland at home...

ForzaPalace
25-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Joins Watford page 6

Sceagle
25-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Can we not just pay the extra and get Sean Dyche? Far more proven and can set up a defence.

How is he far more proven?

Before losing at home to Sunderland, Silva was unbeaten in 41 home games. He was managing Hull. The team who could barely field 11 players at the start of the season.

Thefunkymonk
25-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Joins Watford page 6

Quite possible

RisZero
25-05-2017, 09:55 AM

Seen some talk that Dyche actually wants the job too, and its a swoop that could end up relegating a rival, so id be happy with it

No idea how much it would cost though

Friskey
25-05-2017, 09:59 AM
I think he remains an unknown quantity when it comes to the premier league though. The performances under big same were not all good by any stretch of the imagination but the upturn and the context of what big sam has achieved in the premier league previously leaves less room for doubt.

I wouldn't feel unhappy with Silva but I would certainly have some feelings of heading into the unknown.

Ranieri or Hodgson would be disastrous if you ask me. They would represent big mistakes.

He has done very well elsewhere as well though. He's not stayed at a club very long, it's time for him to do 2-3+ seasons at a club. I think it's a good fit. It would be moving a little bit into the unknown but I don't want another Warnock (Coleman/Hodgson/Ranieri etc.). Now's the time to take a slight risk.

I don't think Mancini or Dyche would want the job and every other name mentioned has been uninspiring (IMO). We're lucky Silva is available.

Thanet Eagle
25-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Not fussed either way. If he comes think if it will be a decent appointment , if not won't be losing too much sleep over it.

RisZero
25-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Independent -

Jack Pitt-Brooke ‏Verified account @JackPittBrooke 5 minutes ago

No decision yet I'm told, but expecting Marco Silva to choose between Palace and Watford today

jmemour
25-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Not being funny, we're surely a better bet than Watford who change their manager every 5 mins.

Jim Cannon

Before losing at home to Sunderland, Silva was unbeaten in 41 home games. He was managing Hull. The team who could barely field 11 players at the start of the season.

I do like the idea of us being good at home. New territory for us

Duffle Coat
Seen some talk that Dyche actually wants the job too, and its a swoop that could end up relegating a rival, so id be happy with it

Press talk, fan talk or direct from the horse's mouth?

Jim Cannon
25-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Not being funny, we're surely a better bet than Watford who change their manager every 5 mins.

We have had quite a few managers ourselves, Pardew being the only prem boss we have had to last over a year

Baffled Bob 2

Yes. CPFC is a byword for managerial longevity.

Zohar's Penalty
I'm not going to lie, the 4-0 and 7-1 has put me off.

Before that though I had thought he was a revelutionary football genius. I also once thought this about Iain Dowie.

RisZero
25-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Press talk, fan talk or direct from the horse's mouth?

Actually it was from Nav's mouth, cant remember if he still posts here and if so under what name.

Apparently Silva is rejecting Porto not on wages but on transfer funds, as the club needs to sell players

Malarkey
25-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Get him in

richdeniro
25-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Zonal marking and Hennessey in goal next season should be fun.

costello
25-05-2017, 10:07 AM
Zonal marking and Hennessey in goal next season should be fun.
Hull goalie?

Palace121
25-05-2017, 10:07 AM
People need to ignore the 7-1, they were dead and buried at that point and up against one of the most in-form teams in the world.

The 4-0 loss to us is a bit more a concern but there was always a possibility of that once they went 1-0 down so early on. Not forgetting the fact that we have a much stronger team than them.

thereichstuff
25-05-2017, 10:08 AM

So do we :)

jmemour
We have had quite a few managers ourselves, Pardew being the only prem boss we have had to last over a year

Freedman left. Holloway resigned. Pulis left us. Warnock sacked but was only ever temporary. Pardew sacked after 2 years. Allardyce left.

Watford sacked their manager after a mid table finish and a cup semi-final. We didn't. I genuinely think that Parish wants to back and keep his managers but it just hasn't worked out like that. Watford just sack their manager every year and start again.

lee_cpfc
Let's be honest, would any of you have considered Marco Silva if he wasn't at Hull?

How many of you had actually heard of him pre-January? Hmm...

Bones14
25-05-2017, 10:09 AM
If he's the best we can get then I'm at a total loss.
Gonna be a long year I reckon.

Friskey
25-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Let's be honest, would any of you have considered Marco Silva if he wasn't at Hull?

How many people had heard of Luka pre January?

Friskey
25-05-2017, 10:11 AM
If he's the best we can get then I'm at a total loss.
Gonna be a long year I reckon.

We already have a side pretty much set up to how he likes to play:

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/02/16/tactical-philosophy-marco-silva/

That has to be a positive?

Johnny Byrne
25-05-2017, 10:11 AM

8th manager in 7 years since CPFC 2010 took over? We have done well though.

Johnny Byrne
25-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Luka played under Silva management at Olympiacos. Sure SP will have sounded out for an opinion.

Martin H
25-05-2017, 10:15 AM

It was very impressive. Personally not that keen on the zonal marking thing but if you have the right players and discipline for it, it obviously can work - just looks stupid when it fails :( He is hardly a one trick pony either and so I would think he is a good option.

Anyone but Pearson for me.

swissroll
25-05-2017, 10:17 AM

I wouldn't consider any manager I hadn't heard of, however we have now heard of him. Everyone was unknown once.

PALACEWU
25-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Oh god the zonal marking.

macstar
25-05-2017, 10:19 AM
I'm not going to lie, the 4-0 and 7-1 has put me off.

Before that though I had thought he was a revelutionary football genius. I also once thought this about Iain Dowie.

Hull really were poor though and its a real surprise they werent bottom of the table all season, especially after losing Snodgrass.....

PalaceForever
25-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Before Sam came in, I seem to remember a lot of fans moaning that he was a dinosaur and that we should be going for a young, progressive manager.

After a taste of Sam, it seems like a lot of fans are now a bit nervous about the thought of a a young, progressive manager. I think anyone we appoint will feel like a risk because Sam did a good job in steadying the ship, but I think it's worth giving Silva a try. He's not perfect, but he has plenty of positives.

As someone said earlier in the thread, a decent measure for players/managers is what the fans of their previous club think (the ones that watched them week in and week out). The Hull fans have a high opinion of him.

Bones14
25-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Not a fan Friskey. Not sure why, but just got a real bad feeling about this one.

mroakley9
25-05-2017, 10:22 AM

Think of that guaranteed severance pay he's going to get after he inevitably gets sacked after taking them to a top half finish though. And then he can move back to Portugal or over to Spain or wherever he wants to go with a **** load of free cash.

PalaceForever
Hull really were poor though and its a real surprise they werent bottom of the table all season, especially after losing Snodgrass.....

Yes, they lost Snodgrass, Livermoore and Mason. 3 big players for them.

Hector

That's a good point. Silva or Dyche I'll be very happy with either.

adrenalin john
25-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Getting to the last three games of the season with a chance of staying up was an achievement with those players. Are there any you would want to see starting in Palace's first team? They sold their best player in January!

They sold their best two players to Wst Ham and Brom respectively then had chronic injuries to the smallest squad in the league.

Hull started the season with 7 points and then basically lost for the next 4 months, he performed a minor miracle to get them in the least bit competitive.

I can't think of a better fit than Silva. Again would love to her Luka's opinion on him. Given he won the league under him

JAS78
25-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Bit harsh

Hull were relegation fodder anyway, but he made them competitive 27 points from 21 games before the dead rubber spurs game

I'll correct that as some of his wins must be Cup games

SSN just stated 21 points from 18 games, still not a bad return

scro
25-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Before Sam came in, I seem to remember a lot of fans moaning that he was a dinosaur and that we should be going for a young, progressive manager.

After a taste of Sam, it seems like a lot of fans are now a bit nervous about the thought of a a young, progressive manager. I think anyone we appoint will feel like a risk because Sam did a good job in steadying the ship, but I think it's worth giving Silva a try. He's not perfect, but he has plenty of positives.

As someone said earlier in the thread, a decent measure for players/managers is what the fans of their previous club think (the ones that watched them week in and week out). The Hull fans have a high opinion of him.

I think this is like being the next boyfriend after a cheating wife beater. The girl and her friends and family are just relieved you don't beat her up and try and **** her sister. It's not neccesarily an indication you are great bloke.

I say this all the while kind of thinking he might be one of the best options.

orp pisshead1
25-05-2017, 10:25 AM
He's top of our list.

:(
Rather we went all out for Dyche as he fits us much better.

Terrace Bickle
25-05-2017, 10:27 AM
I like Silva. Would genuinely be upset if he turns us down.

PalaceForever
25-05-2017, 10:27 AM
Again would love to her Luka's opinion on him. Given he won the league under him

http://i.imgur.com/ipgZ9Cth.jpg

Skintagain
25-05-2017, 10:28 AM
It was very impressive. Personally not that keen on the zonal marking thing but if you have the right players and discipline for it, it obviously can work - just looks stupid when it fails :( He is hardly a one trick pony either and so I would think he is a good option.

Anyone but Woy for me.

Martin H
25-05-2017, 10:29 AM

I read that earlier and it does seems a surprisingly good fit from the 'words' at least. The real issue which is never in these articles - can he both lead and manage in the fullest sense of the word. A huge amount of this job is about orchestrating and organising the elements of the wider club supporting the team. No one can do that on their own - and they have to be able to manage through a team.

He comes across as eloquent and intelligent and does that collar up thing and so he must be 'cool'. :D

TheCharmer1
25-05-2017, 10:29 AM

That's one of the problems I had with the chap, they looked so vulnerable at set plays and no one conceded more than them from them last season.

I thought he seemed extremely organised prior to the last two games, then looked a bit uninspiring in both when things started to go wrong.

That would be the only two issues I have with him.

Skintagain
25-05-2017, 10:30 AM
That's a good point. Silva or Dyche I'll be very happy with either.

Perfect

Windsor_Eagle
25-05-2017, 10:33 AM
I think we need to remember a few things before people get too hung up on the 4-0 result.

1) Hull HAD to win that day. They couldn't sit back and defend well. going 1-0 early was disastrous (that was a cock up) and had to come at us with a blunt attacking force. They got stretched and we picked them off.

2) On paper, the players in our team compared to Hull was quite stark AND we had Big Sam drilling the tactics into the side for a week.

3) Lest we forget the awful results that we produced under some of SA's reign? 4-0 at home to Sunderland was particularly atrocious.

I'd welcome Silva. Cautiously as he is a bit of an unknown, but with a full summer and a talented squad he could do a cracking job.

orp pisshead1
25-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Yay Coleman has ruled himself out , thank **** for that .

Jukesy
25-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Mrs Jukesy has decided she would be delighted if we appointed Mr Silva :D

Seanee Pawnee
25-05-2017, 10:36 AM

Really don't think you can judge him on one game when you look at his previous record. Hull were a very avg team an he almost pulled it off with them.

Stigma
25-05-2017, 10:37 AM

Phew..good news :)

art malice
25-05-2017, 10:38 AM

First bit of good news all week

JAS78
25-05-2017, 10:39 AM

He enquired and we said **** off will be closer to the truth.

trufan
25-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Mrs Jukesy has decided she would be delighted if we appointed Mr Silva :D

Yes, Mrs trufan too. Can't see the attraction myself... in him, that is, not her. :love:

mroakley9
25-05-2017, 10:42 AM

he probably had about as much hope of getting the job as i do though so i'm not sure why he even bothered

ps. please hire me steve

stayingup
25-05-2017, 10:43 AM
man for man we are a better side then hull and we should have won that game as we did,however it could have been so different if we had not scored early. we have a crap record at home and silva has an excellent home record. I say give him a go,better then all the other names that are out there

GB2506
25-05-2017, 10:43 AM
I think we will get him.

Luke being here will be a big selling point.

If he keeps Sammy Lee and the other backroom staff I would be quite happy with having him in charge.

glaziers fan
25-05-2017, 10:47 AM
He's top of our list.

:p

He's head and shoulders over all the others for me. So many good things said about him by current players through the media on MOTD2. They know. Young manager, who might stick around for a few years. It's a no-brainer.

Markovic might end up being our attacking mid?

Payroll Legend
25-05-2017, 10:48 AM

Fvck off Coleman you weren't getting it anyway you helmet.

I'll rule myself out as well then shall I.

Terrace Bickle
25-05-2017, 10:48 AM
I think we will get him.

Luke being here will be a big selling point.

If he keeps Sammy Lee and the other backroom staff I would be quite happy with having him in charge.

Don't think he will. Has his own staff.

swissroll
25-05-2017, 10:49 AM

Not the 'im ruling myself out of a job ive been told i cant have' routine again

RisZero
25-05-2017, 10:50 AM
He turned down Porto over transfer budget (apparently), dont get too excited just yet :P

libran
25-05-2017, 10:53 AM

Ha..I can't see Sammy Lee sticking around. He's so spit and sawdust no foreign/educated manager would want to work with him.

Great for a BFS regime, not so much without him. He'll be gone I'd imagine pretty swiftly.

MikeyBaby
25-05-2017, 10:54 AM
I think he's a roll of the dice, but one that I'm happy to see us play.

glaziers fan
25-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Interesting mix of unqualified (including mine) opinions.. I wonder what the consensus would be if his surname was Pritchard or Smith.

0-2
4-0
1-7

Sounds to me like he never got to grips with the job at all. They won a few though - but is that enough?

Last game was a dead rubber, they were very unlucky against Sunderland and against us (a Top 8 team on our day) they were missing Markovic.

I think he'd be a brilliant fit.

MikeyBaby
25-05-2017, 10:55 AM

Don't show your cards too early - you know the rules.

PauLo
25-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Remember when Pochettino was new and had nothing great before us. Silva has and more. What he did with Hull with what he had was pretty great and I would base my opinion on him based on 2 or 3 results at the end of the season, one of which was after they went down.

I'd be ok with this.

elgin eagle
25-05-2017, 10:56 AM

SSN: Palace fans seen celebrating in the streets over Coleman rejection despite never actually being approached anyway.

Crofty
25-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Fvck off Coleman you weren't getting it anyway you helmet.

yeah...I am washing my hair next season so count me out:wallbash:

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Really, Hugh?

I read today that he would bring in his new backroom staff who he worked with at Hull.

cranesparkeagle
25-05-2017, 11:01 AM
My worries are

1 that , like Pards he would want to make us more of a possession side fighting the personnel, and dare I say the DNA of the team

2 Given 1 how radical might h be. Could we throw the baby with the bathwater and spend half a season bedding in as a team and could that leave us in trouble.

3 Hull at home . Decent unit. Away just terrible

4 Zonal marking. Does it actually work anywhere answers please, on a postcard if necessary. Wonder if its the way we Brits regard corners as chance for a direct attack on goal rather than a means of having possession high up the park catching continentals off guard.

Overall, seems decent guy but is he right for US

DARZET EAGLE

We don't do too bad on that front, although other than Pardew we havn't sacked anyone recently.

SEEPEEEFFSEE
Seriously worried about the potential Silva appointment.
I don't see what he's done to warrant being top of our list. He's not lasted much more than a year in any of his managerial jobs to date and those which he's done well in are in a country where I doubt many of us have enough knowledge to truly know whether is a decent achievement or not e.g. to some looking at B.R's record at Celtic, they would think he's a world beater but ultimately, having a solid understanding of the Scottish league would help to put it into better perspective.
Once again Parish finds himself in an impossible situation and can't afford to get this wrong.

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 11:04 AM

:lux::lux:

andyocpfc
25-05-2017, 11:05 AM
He's possibly the best of a poor (ish) bunch of candidates. SP likes a free agent (although will pay compo), speaks good English, strong at home, can work on a budget. Seems a decent, likeable, non egotistical bloke too.

Friskey
25-05-2017, 11:05 AM
My worries are

1 that , like Pards he would want to make us more of a possession side fighting the personnel, and dare I say the DNA of the team

2 Given 1 how radical might h be. Could we throw the baby with the bathwater and spend half a season bedding in as a team and could that leave us in trouble.

4 Zonal marking. Does it actually work anywhere answers please, on a postcard if necessary. Wonder if its the way we Brits regard corners as chance for a direct attack on goal rather than a means of having possession high up the park catching continentals off guard.

He has been accused of giving the ball away on purpose in the past to counter attack so not sure where 1) comes from.

2) see above.

3) Would be nice to be good at home!

4) Yeah I'm not a fan. Although BFS mixed zonal and man to man last season so hopefully he can adapt.

El Aguila
25-05-2017, 11:07 AM
[/B]

I read today that he would bring in his new backroom staff who he worked with at Hull.

Oh really? haha - shows how much I know :supergrin:.

MikeyBaby
25-05-2017, 11:12 AM
B.R's record at Celtic.

To be fair to the bloke, his record at Anfield wasn't too shabby either.

Rasheed Harkouk
25-05-2017, 11:13 AM
He's possibly the best of a poor (ish) bunch of candidates. SP likes a free agent (although will pay compo), speaks good English, strong at home, can work on a budget. Seems a decent, likeable, non egotistical bloke too.

Well I gotta say it's a better bunch of candidates than we are used to, no Warnock, Malky Mackay or any of that dross

CharlieCPFC
25-05-2017, 11:14 AM
My worries are

Pardew would've helped his cause if his recruitment better. Had he got a competent defence capable of playing the ball out the back that would've helped immensely. Not to forget Pardew's experience and approach to that style of play will no doubt be inferior to Marco Silva. Silva has that way ingrained in his DNA, Pardew had that deluded way ingrained in his ego.

He got Hull instantly getting points on the board in the season, here he'd have a whole pre season and resources to get exactly what he needs.

People bang on about Hull at home but that error really deflated them. So early on and without their key player Markovic. You only need to see what Hull fans think of Silva to understand the transformation he performed there.

Jim Cannon
25-05-2017, 11:16 AM

Have Talksport/Mirror/Sun reported we have been "snubbed" yet

Jim Cannon
25-05-2017, 11:17 AM
To be fair to the bloke, his record at Anfield wasn't too shabby either.

Yup, wasn't bad till we ****ed their title up:supergrin:

NorthPalace23
25-05-2017, 11:19 AM
My worries are

Fantastic post.

I agree with all of the points raised.

I still feel like we are better suited to a pragmatic manager, like Allardyce or Pulis, rather than an attacking manager, or possession obsessed manager. Worried in all honesty!

Thanet Eagle
25-05-2017, 11:22 AM
Breaking News - Thanet Eagle has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Palace job despite not being asked.

No.16
25-05-2017, 11:24 AM
His win percentage wasn't far off BFS with a greatly inferior squad (and a team that gave up til the end of the season after Wilf scored). His career stats are good too, albeit in less competitive leagues. I think he deserves a go and I'm sure SP would have got a reference from Luka.

Estoril 46.55%
Sporting 58.49%
Olympiacos 79.17%
Hull City 36.36%

BFS (CPFC) 37.5%

CPFC.1990
Would be a massive gamble and I fear he is not a manager who can understand that defence is important.

I guess it will be ok if we want to win the odd game 3-0 but I can also see us being hammered quite a few times as well.

Personally I would say no. 6 months at Hull, who in the end completely bottled it under pressure.

glaziers fan
Odds on now with lots of bookmakers...

Eaglesfan1
Are we honestly saying we don't want him because his team were thrashed in one game against us?

Sean Dyche lost 4-0 as Watford manager to the most boring side Palace side I've seen in 7 years of going regularly. Should we hold that against him as well?

andyocpfc
25-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Jesus, just seen he was born the same year as me. Where did I go wrong in life!

red&blue_moomin
25-05-2017, 11:26 AM
From the highlights I saw against Sunderland, they battered them

Pickford put in a man of the match performance apparently.

sherstonpalace
25-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Rather too much is made of Hull's home form under Marco Silva. Apart from a Liverpool team in the middle of a dreadful run, in the league Hull beat Bournemouth, Swansea, West Ham, Middlesbro and Watford.

When they really needed to turn up (Sunderland at home and Palace away) they were awful.

CPFC.1990
25-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Rather too much is made of Hull's home form under Marco Silva. Apart from a Liverpool team in the middle of a dreadful run, in the league Hull beat Bournemouth, Swansea, West Ham, Middlesbro and Watford.

When they really needed to turn up (Sunderland at home and Palace away) they were awful.

Hull also had the 'easiest' run in of any club at the bottom.

redemptionday
25-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Happy to take the risk on Silva.

BERT'S HEAD
25-05-2017, 11:30 AM
I don't want a manager who looks sexier than me.

Zohar's Penalty
25-05-2017, 11:34 AM

His players were largely gash though and he had about 15 of them in total.

Payroll Legend

You weren't happy with Sam then?

jmemour

Did a hell of a lot better than we did against those teams then.

CharlieCPFC
25-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Fantastic post.

I agree with all of the points raised.

I still feel like we are better suited to a pragmatic manager, like Allardyce or Pulis, rather than an attacking manager, or possession obsessed manager. Worried in all honesty!

What possession based managers have we had? Holloway and Pardew who were both previously criticised for their methods. Marco Silva has had nothing but praise.

red&blue_moomin
25-05-2017, 11:36 AM

0-2
4-0
1-7

BFS presided over some of our biggest kickings of the season a couple of 3-0s, a 4-0 and a 5-0.

Look at Hulls rate of conceding goals before he turned up I'd posit Hulls defence is even worse than ours and that takes some doing. Did you know apparently Henneseys shot saved percentage is 25% the league average for keepers is around 44%

Payroll Legend
25-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Does anyone actually know what his strengths are as a manager? I don't pretend that I know anything about him.

Let the bollox commence

red&blue_moomin
25-05-2017, 11:38 AM

Still their top goal scorer I think which just tells you what he had to work with.

Robin
25-05-2017, 11:38 AM

I would be happier if we had beaten Bournemouth, Swansea, West Ham, Watford at home - and Sunderland and Burnley too!

Stellavista
25-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Dyche or Silva for me, but I have more reservations with Silva.

Reps AJ
25-05-2017, 11:44 AM
So we beat them because an Italian international centre half can't put his foot through the ball in a must win game

Then they got tonked (when already relegated) who had just tonked us (when we were fighting to stay up)

He has a very good record outside of England

Kai
Against Sunderland Hull had lots of chances. Pickford kept them at bay all game and made a couple of stunning saves

gamesmeister
Apparently Watford are likely to make him a better offer than us, according to Dominic Fifield in the Guardian. Not sure why that would be the case though.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/25/marco-silva-weigh-up-watford-crystal-palace-after-hull-exit

the drexciyan
25-05-2017, 11:45 AM

Tim Sherwoood has just announced he's ruled himself out.

Thefunkymonk
25-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Apparently Watford are likely to make him a better offer than us, according to Dominic Fifield in the Guardian. Not sure why that would be the case though.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/25/marco-silva-weigh-up-watford-crystal-palace-after-hull-exit

Watford is a strong possibility

Lombardo's hair
25-05-2017, 11:46 AM

We're not getting dowie back forget it

Zohar's Penalty
25-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Watford is a strong possibility

It would be further bad PR for the club if we lose out to Watford. I imagine we are already putting off applicants with our inability to retain a manager.

the drexciyan
25-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Dyche would be an easier choice but this guy has a chance of maybe really pushing us on.

Thefunkymonk
25-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Don't get the dyche hype. Really don't

costello
25-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Watford looks like a terrible club to me. Rapidly losing its soul through faceless Italian owners.

Jukesy
25-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Does anyone actually know what his strengths are as a manager? I don't pretend that I know anything about him.

Let the bollox commence

To save you trawling through the whole thread, this sums him up pretty well:

We are currently set up how he likes to play.

McpfcS
25-05-2017, 11:51 AM
It would be further bad PR for the club if we lose out to Watford. I imagine we are already putting off applicants with our inability to retain a manager.

I imagine Silva's team might be using the Palace vacancy to push Watford towards a decision. Not convinced Palace are that committed to the idea of Silva as manager.

st albans
25-05-2017, 11:51 AM

because watford have done such a better job than us of retaining managers.......

CPFC.1990
25-05-2017, 11:54 AM
Seems a little bit fast for us to be so definite on wanting Marco Silva.

Perhaps someone wants Watford to panic and offer him silly money at the thought of him coming to us. I find it HIGHLY unlikely we have had discussions with Silva after only losing Allardyce 48hrs ago.

Come on it doesn't seem logical does it?

red&blue_moomin
25-05-2017, 11:55 AM

I hadn't but I'm quite keen now having read up a bit. Took Estoril from a second division basket case to a fourth place finish in the Portugese first division. Won silverware at Sporting Lisbon in his only season, finished 3rd got sacked for not wearing a club suit. Went to Olympiakos where he worked with Luka who was his team captain. Did a number against Arsenal at the emirates with Olympiakos

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15119/10761573/marco-silvas-olympiakos-beat-arsenal-can-he-repeat-the-upset-with-hull

This sounds like the sort of thing that would work with our players and has echoes of Allardyce.

Wright+Bright
25-05-2017, 11:57 AM

He's done a fantastic job at Burnley with a limited budget. Seems to be able to get the best out of players, very much like our previous manager.

ebyeeckeagle
25-05-2017, 11:57 AM

Not sure whether that puts off managers, or whether they look at how much interference the board makes.

Few managers last that long, I suspect it is accepted as part of the modern job, so as long as they have a decent contract offered, financial and in length, then why be put off. Managers quite like moving too in many cases. .

Payroll Legend
25-05-2017, 11:58 AM
To save you trawling through the whole thread, this sums him up pretty well:

We are currently set up how he likes to play.

Very interesting read. Thanks.

NorthPalace23
25-05-2017, 11:59 AM
What possession based managers have we had? Holloway and Pardew who were both previously criticised for their methods. Marco Silva has had nothing but praise.

I know we haven't had a possession obsessed manager. I just wanted to highlight the type of manager I believe suits us at CPFC.

I am open to Silva. I'm just a little concerned about him if he does sign. It's nice to read reassuring posts on here regarding it.

knowlesyUCLA
25-05-2017, 11:59 AM

It is the Silva hype that I don’t buy – he is very much flavour of the month after 4 decent months at Hull, but it is difficult to know what he really did there over and above not being Mike Phelan. They still got relegated after signing a number of players and they didn’t win a single away game.

I watched the Sunderland game and they were a shower of shite and nothing changed when they turned up at our place in a must win game.

Dyche did very well to get Burnley promoted, hardly spent a thing and only just went down, and then got promoted comfortably as champions the season after. He then spent a little bit more and kept them up. He has built a hardworking and disciplined side there but also one that has some quality and is prepared thoroughly for every game.

I really think that he better suits where we are at the moment and how we have generally set up since we were promoted. I always said that I fancied him to take over from Allardyce albeit I wasn’t thinking that would only be after 4 months!

Dyche is well worth the £1m it would cost to get him here. I also think he might fancy the change.

GreatGonzo
25-05-2017, 12:00 PM

Remind me how we did against some of those teams at home?

Against us it was in some ways similar to us against Burnley. Let in a silly goal early, have to chase the game a bit against a well drilled side and get picked off. Had we not scored after 2 minutes it could have been a very different outcome. They had also been far the better side against Sunderland and come away with nothing. Spurs with nothing to play for, how much do we read into that?

I would also say that Markovic had been a major influence and he went off against Sunderland. Their best striker Hernandez was not available in those final games. Maguire their best defender went off against us. We saw how poor we were once we lost the attacking balance of Townsend, the midfield drive of Cabaye and struggled to find competent defenders.

Also means he will be well aware of the importance of depth in the PL and will hopefully recruit accordingly.

As for turning down Porto, supposedly due to a negative transfer fund, maybe he knows which of their players he wants! :p

Brahimi, Silva, Martins Indi, Aboubakar and how much they need to sell.

GreatGonzo
25-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Watford Vs Palace

If Dyche and Silva are both options i know which one has additional reason to move to one of those clubs and its not Silva.

TouchyAndalou
25-05-2017, 12:02 PM

0-2
4-0
1-7

Sounds to me like he never got to grips with the job at all. They won a few though - but is that enough? How many of that Hull side would you take for our starting line up? Not many I suspect. And that's us - compare their quality to any of the top 10 sides in the division and it's an even more stark contrast. Most teams in Hull's position ship a similar number of goals, unless managed by a Pulis or an Allardyce who have built a career on playing a specific way to limit that.

His brief was obviously to keep Hull up and he didn't achieve that, but he came pretty close and considering he took over a team in 20th place with probably the least talented squad in the division and all the problems behind the scenes, I'd agree with the consensus that he did a very good job. It's no mistake that he's in high demand and that his stock has risen despite the relegation.

Also (and forgive the clichés) we have a tendency to paint managers with a certain brush based on very broad strokes. Like simply did he keep them up, did they win this or that crucial game, rather than taking a more complete view of the job they did. Sometimes you can get your squad in a good position, do everything right in training, prepare them properly and they just don't perform on the day, or something (like a freak error and early Zaha goal) conspires against you. We even saw that under Allardyce away against Southampton and especially at home against Burnley, where if one or two more games went against us we could have been the ones to go down.

CPFC.1990
25-05-2017, 12:05 PM
Remind me how we did against some of those teams at home?

Against us it was in some ways similar to us against Burnley. Let in a silly goal early, have to chase the game a bit against a well drilled side and get picked off. Had we not scored after 2 minutes it could have been a very different outcome. They had also been far the better side against Sunderland and come away with nothing. Spurs with nothing to play for, how much do we read into that?

I would also say that Markovic had been a major influence and he went off against Sunderland. Their best striker Hernandez was not available in those final games. Maguire their best defender went off against us. We saw how poor we were once we lost the attacking balance of Townsend, the midfield drive of Cabaye and struggled to find competent defenders.

Also means he will be well aware of the importance of depth in the PL and will hopefully recruit accordingly.

As for turning down Porto, supposedly due to a negative transfer fund, maybe he knows which of their players he wants! :p

Brahimi, Silva, Martins Indi, Aboubakar and how much they need to sell.

And you think we've had such detailed discussions with him after BFS left?

He's going to Watford and this rumour if just there to hurry up negotiations. We don't appoint managers like this.

red&blue_moomin
25-05-2017, 12:05 PM

Soooooo

He beat three teams at home that we couldn't and one that we only beat thanks to a Troy Deeney own goals having registered no shots on target.
Then was unluckey to get beat 2-0 by Sunderland with their england prospect goalkeeper pulling off a mom performance while we capitulated 4-0 like snivelling bitches against the same team............

I'd like either Silva, Dyche or Monk.

But honestly Silva's record with Hull is pretty much the same as BFS with us, with a far far crapper squad shorn of it's top goal scorer.

MikeyBaby
25-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Seems a little bit fast

Players are signing contracts and transfers as we speak. Given the bucket of $h1t Pulis left us standing in, I can't imagine for a minute we should be doing anything other than getting the ball rolling in sounding people out.

Martin H
25-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Being sad I have taken a look at the tables etc. and over his spell in charge I reckon Silva was averaging 1.17 points a game at a club that prior to that had averaged 0.65. From a 'standing start that's not too shabby' and if sustained over a season would have been enough for them to have finished 13th this season.

Interestingly, during the last 3 games - the wheels fell off completely with injuries and suspensions weakening them at a crucial time and they all took a noticeable dip. Those results made things look a lot worse, losing all 3 matches and conceding 13! For instance up until that point (i.e. prior to Sunderland game) they had average 1.4 points per game which in a season would be 53 points. BFS's stats for his reign prior to the last 3 was 1.47 giving 55/56 points.

This is meaningless but nevertheless interesting and shows how well he performed.

Reading just now that it's between us and Watford. I can see the attraction of Watford but does he really want to go somewhere that a manager only stays 12 months or less?........ oh.......b*****x

Seriously though, I think we are looking for a long term manager while Watford are executing a strategy.

TouchyAndalou
25-05-2017, 12:11 PM
You're screwed if Dowie gets the job then.

Reg_Maudling
25-05-2017, 12:12 PM
It depends on your ambitions or priorities
If you think palace are now a settled and established premier league club you might like to take a gamble on a manager who might be more likely to get palace into europe
If like me you think palace are not established as we have had four successive relegation battles I would like to see palace consolidate in the premier league for two or so years whilst we improve infrastructure etc
First option is the gamble which would in my opinion give bigger risk of relegation and undoing the good work of last four seasons but if you wanted that you might choose a Silva type manager
For option 2 consolidation and better chance of staying up you might choose a dyche type figure
I think Burnley have had excellent team spirit under dyche and that is what I want to see at palace
Silva's response to zaha's goal after 2 mins was to sulk and try to disown his own players and they would have seen that and felt unsupported by him during the match
Yes it threw his game plan but he should have had another
Team spirit is fostered by the manager

RisZero
I dont think having some concerns about Silva is a bad thing. I dont get outright shunning him though, he clearly has more potential than the majority of names within reach atm.

My own shortlist seems to have become: Mancini, Dyche, Silva

I have concerns with all three but its no contest against the like of Moyes and Woy

Pete79
Soooooo

He beat three teams at home that we couldn't and one that we only beat thanks to a Troy Deeney own goals having registered no shots on target.
Then was unluckey to get beat 2-0 by Sunderland with their england prospect goalkeeper pulling off a mom performance while we capitulated 4-0 like snivelling bitches against the same team............

But honestly Silva's record with Hull is pretty much the same as BFS with us, with a far far crapper squad shorn of it's top goal scorer.

Silva has also proven to be a winner whilst managing other clubs. One thing he didn't have experience of was PL football and a relegation fight. Well, he does now. He's only 39 and will get better at the job. Allardyce's best work was done from the age of 50. If we're going to tak a risk with potentially great results the time to do it is at the start of pre season rather than in January whilst fighting to stay up. As such selecting a manager immediately after a succesful season (in terms of staying up) can be viewed as a great opportunity - and one that doesn't come around very often.

READING EAGLE
25-05-2017, 12:14 PM
difference between Watford and us is their managers were sacked. 3 out of the last 4 resigned and the 1 that was sacked was here for 18 months

Jasper
25-05-2017, 12:15 PM
If we get Silva or Dyche I would be happy. I can't see too many better and realistic options out there.

TouchyAndalou
25-05-2017, 12:15 PM

When they really needed to turn up (Sunderland at home and Palace away) they were awful.How many of those teams did Hull beat before he arrived? Since when is winning certain games in the Premier League less valuable than winning others?

If we beat all teams like that next season (and we'd expect to do better, since we have a far more talented squad than Hull) we'd finish somewhere around mid table at a minimum.

Martin H
25-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Why am I getting that deja-vu feeling?

Manager leaves, period of emotion/confusion, search for new manager, excitement/confusion at names, support for one builds from scepticism into mild excitement and then ...... he signs for another club - then repeat, until we eventually get one that we don't want or even worse a temporary sticking plaster.

Come one - lets break that pattern.

elgin eagle
25-05-2017, 12:25 PM

Manager leaves, period of emotion/confusion, search for new manager, excitement/confusion at names, support for one builds from scepticism into mild excitement and then ...... he signs for another club - then repeat, until we eventually get one that we don't want or even worse a temporary sticking plaster.

Come one - lets break that pattern.

It's a Palace manager hunt. Silva has peaked too early :) Managed to green out already so don't really care who we get now. Someone high profile enough to persuade Sakho to join and Wilf to renew hopefully. Probably reduces the shortlist to 2 or 3 names.

Hedgehog
25-05-2017, 12:28 PM
How's his English?

TouchyAndalou
25-05-2017, 12:28 PM

Come one - lets break that pattern.I agree and to add to that, I hope we take a calculated risk this time and go with somebody young and bright, even if somewhat unproven. I'm thinking a David Wagner type. Somebody to instill an identity and potentially take us forward. Enough of the British dinosaur managers like Warnock or the used car salesman charlitan types like Pardew. They've done their jobs and all contributed to us staying up, but that can only happen so many times as Sunderland have learnt this season. Please, please God not Woy.

eaglebhoy
25-05-2017, 12:30 PM
Sorry, I'm at work, quick summary someone please ? Has he signed for us ?

MikeyBaby
25-05-2017, 12:31 PM

Twice.

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Seems a little bit fast for us to be so definite on wanting Marco Silva.

Perhaps someone wants Watford to panic and offer him silly money at the thought of him coming to us. I find it HIGHLY unlikely we have had discussions with Silva after only losing Allardyce 48hrs ago.

Come on it doesn't seem logical does it?

Why ever not, ever heard of social media or even a telephone. No doubt his agent will have been approached, how can you have rumours that Watford's term are better than ours? Watch this space.

MikeyBaby
25-05-2017, 12:33 PM
I agree and to add to that, I hope we take a calculated risk this time and go with somebody young and bright, even if somewhat unproven. I'm thinking a David Wagner type. Somebody to instill an identity and potentially take us forward. Enough of the British dinosaur managers like Warnock or the used car salesman charlitan types like Pardew. They've done their jobs and all contributed to us staying up, but that can only happen so many times as Sunderland have learnt this season. Please, please God not Woy.

Isn't Silva a 'David Wagner-type' in that context?

CPFC.1990
25-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Why ever not, ever heard of social media or even a telephone. No doubt his agent will have been approached, how can you have rumours that Watford's term are better than ours? Watch this space.

Watford knew they needed a new manager weeks ago.

Our board do not conduct business in this way.

RisZero
25-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Isn't Silva a 'David Wagner-type' in that context?

Basically yes but hes the one we are linked to so is naturally the one people dont want :p

MikeyBaby
25-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Gary Monk's just resigned.

elgin eagle
25-05-2017, 12:37 PM
I dont think having some concerns about Silva is a bad thing. I dont get outright shunning him though, he clearly has more potential than the majority of names within reach atm.

My own shortlist seems to have become: Mancini, Dyche, Silva

I have concerns with all three but its no contest against the like of Moyes and Woy

We have the basis of a very exciting pacy side if we don't play at walking pace as at Old Trafford, making ridiculous defensive mistakes again. If we can get a defensive minded yet still more complete manager like Mancini I think he will have enough clout to help us make the important signings we need to make this summer. Silva the same. Good contacts that maybe our scouting system lacks.

sherstonpalace
Soooooo

I thought someone would pick me up on our record against the teams Silva's Hull beat at home.

But the point is that I have listed ALL his league victories. Apart from the win against a shaky Liverpool, there was nothing to make you sit up and take notice, like winning at Chelsea or West Brom or Bournemouth or thrashing Arsenal.

My broader point is that sometimes people seem unwilling to analyse results on the basis of the opposition. It was a similar thing when everybody lionised Pearson for the Leicester Houdini job in 2015. But who did they actually have to beat to stay up? After our victory at the King Power in Feb 2015 (when Pearson throttled Jimmy Mac) their home matches were against Hull (D), West Ham (W), Swansea (W), Chelsea (L), Newcastle (W), Southampton (W) and Queens Park Rangers (W). Hardly an intimidating run-in.

I don't know enough about Silva to judge him either way - all I'm saying is that on closer scrutiny his record at Hull was nowhere near as impressive as the basic stats suggest.

Martin H
Woodman has just resigned too do you think......?

:D :D

BaldEagle96

I doubt our Board even considered that they may be needing a new manager.

elgin eagle
25-05-2017, 12:38 PM

Coming to join his brother Harry. It's like the Benteke brothers.

MikeyBaby
Coming to join his brother Harry. It's like the Benteke brothers.

*spits tea*

DARZET EAGLE
And you think we've had such detailed discussions with him after BFS left?

He's going to Watford and this rumour if just there to hurry up negotiations. We don't appoint managers like this.

Rubbish CPFC. Do you know he's going to Watford for sure, of course not. So ''we don't appoint managers like this'', do you suggest he's not good enough or too good?

mikeywm3
25-05-2017, 12:41 PM
Sky Sports News HQ‏Verified account @SkySportsNewsHQ 8m8 minutes ago
BREAKING: Garry Monk resigns as @LUFC manager. #SSNHQ

Ben Rumsby‏Verified account @ben_rumsby 4m4 minutes ago
Presumably, Garry Monk has another job lined up...

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Soooooo

I think he's signed a new contract with Leeds.

RisZero
25-05-2017, 12:42 PM

Theres more jobs going than I can count on one hand though...

Could easily be a switch to any relegated side if he feels its a better place than Leeds

El Aguila
25-05-2017, 12:43 PM
It's true we usually faff around for weeks before appointing anyone, isn't it? Or does it just seem like weeks, on the BBS?

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 12:44 PM
How's his English?

Very good.

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 12:45 PM

There goes my last post saying he's signed a new contract. Where's he off to?

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 12:46 PM

In a word no.

eaglebhoy
25-05-2017, 12:47 PM
It's true we usually faff around for weeks before appointing anyone, isn't it? Or does it just seem like weeks, on the BBS?

A real world day is a week on the BBS

RisZero
There goes my last post saying he's signed a new contract. Where's he off to?

Could see Sunderland or Middlesbrough tbh

For some weird reason I feel like Soton would consider him too

Ralph
Wasn't Allardyce in the day after we sacked Pardew?

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 12:48 PM

Of course not...agents are fair game though.

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 12:49 PM
Woodman has just resigned too do you think......?

:D :D

Our new goalkeeper?

CPFC.1990
25-05-2017, 12:50 PM
[/B]

Rubbish CPFC. Do you know he's going to Watford for sure, of course not. So ''we don't appoint managers like this'', do you suggest he's not good enough or too good?

I have no opinion on him other than his defence's are poor and his style of play is good.

What i'm saying is that we all were shocked by BFS leaving so why would we be in such advanced stages to appoint a new manager... It just wouldn't make sense unless we already had him in mind but then how could we when we didn't know BFS was leaving.

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 12:50 PM

Watford?

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 12:51 PM

Sunderland?

Reps AJ
25-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Sunderland?

That's the rumour from my Leeds supporting mate

DARZET EAGLE
25-05-2017, 12:55 PM
]I have no opinion on him other than his defence's are poor and his style of play is good.[/B]

What i'm saying is that we all were shocked by BFS leaving so why would we be in such advanced stages to appoint a new manager... It just wouldn't make sense unless we already had him in mind but then how could we when we didn't know BFS was leaving.

Why offer your opinion on him then?
Staff appointments can move very quickly nowadays, there is no reason why Steve or his representatives couldn't have sounded him out on the sameday Sam left.

BaldEagle96
25-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Wasn't Allardyce in the day after we sacked Pardew?

Difference being it was the Boards decision to sack AP so they knew in advance they would need a new manager and had no doubt already sounded SA out in advance.

Kai
25-05-2017, 01:44 PM
If it's Monk I'll be seriously underwhelmed.

meee
25-05-2017, 01:46 PM

You've just listed 6 home wins there.This was after Hull had gone on a run of getting 6 points from 17 games.To get 6 wins at home pretty much on the bounce after a run like that the minute you walk into a club is impressive.He was unbeaten at home as a manager for 4 years before Hull lost the game to Sunderland.That's a decent home record.

TouchyAndalou
25-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Isn't Silva a 'David Wagner-type' in that context? Yeah and I'd be very happy with Silva if we could get him.

Cleon
25-05-2017, 01:49 PM
It's not going to be Monk. Chill.

palacedaz
25-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Would much prefer Mancini. I appreciate his wages would cost probably double but he is available and a great manager. Silva to me is to raw for prem. His away record was awful no wins I believe. After 3 mins of our game when 1-0 down he looked lost and broken he didn't have a clue what and how to change imo. Think we would badly struggle with him next season.

Thefunkymonk
25-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Would much prefer Mancini. I appreciate his wages would cost probably double but he is available and a great manager. Silva to me is to raw for prem. His away record was awful no wins I believe. After 3 mins of our game when 1-0 down he looked lost and broken he didn't have a clue what and how to change imo. Think we would badly struggle with him next season.

Mancini isn't interested. He wants a bigger club

ForzaPalace
25-05-2017, 01:58 PM

Or like all the big name managers, they can only operate with a big budget, which makes me question their credentials anyway

CPFC.1990
25-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Mancini...lol.

Bet he'd be a big success on a limited budget.

FMH57
25-05-2017, 01:59 PM

It's not going to be Mancini. Another manager who will think Palace is below him. Same as Allison, Venables,Pulis,Pardew,allardyce and even Freedman.

Martin H
25-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Ruling this one out for mental self protection purposes and would just celebrate if it turns out.

palacedaz
25-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Probably right but my thoughts on silva still stand for me and would hope it's not him.

Dave McGregor
25-05-2017, 02:18 PM
On Paddy Power Silva now 6/4 was 8/13. Monk 2/1!

jolly
25-05-2017, 02:57 PM
On another side note 200 club get in

smileysmith
25-05-2017, 02:59 PM
Monk 2/1!
:eek: FFS

Thefunkymonk
25-05-2017, 03:01 PM
On Paddy Power Silva now 6/4 was 8/13. Monk 2/1!

Mancini was evens yesterday

stayingup
25-05-2017, 03:21 PM
how can you say Malcolm Alison thought he was above this club, he loved it here, ron noades sacked him when he became chairman

Martin H
25-05-2017, 03:25 PM
From afar, Monk is one of the least likeable characters mentioned so far isn't he? I was dubious about his success at Swansea which TBH relied heavily on a well established foundation of organisation and personnel and established relationships. He has the arrogance that regularly goes with great managers but TBH hasn't done anything to deserve it yet. His turnaround of Leeds in difficult circumstances restored some faith but he seems a risky choice to me still compared to many of the others. But in his favour is that he is not Pearson.

Jim Cannon
25-05-2017, 03:34 PM
From afar, Monk is one of the least likeable characters mentioned so far isn't he? I was dubious about his success at Swansea which TBH relied heavily on a well established foundation of organisation and personnel and established relationships. He has the arrogance that regularly goes with great managers but TBH hasn't done anything to deserve it yet. His turnaround of Leeds in difficult circumstances restored some faith but he seems a risky choice to me still compared to many of the others. But in his favour is that he is not Pearson.

To be honest I don't like those zip up tops he wears, or his hairstyle, so its a no from me

Palace121
25-05-2017, 03:35 PM

Agreed. There's plenty of other gambles that I'd rather we take.

Mr Palace
25-05-2017, 03:39 PM
Monk would be underwhelming. Oh dear, I really hope we are setting our sights higher.

At least Silva is more exotic - whatever the f**k that means...

Kylie_Tracey
25-05-2017, 03:42 PM
To be honest I don't like those zip up tops he wears, or his hairstyle, so its a no from me

plus he's miserable, the zip up rolly necks are on a par with Sherwoods gillets

Penstone Eagle
25-05-2017, 03:52 PM
Monk = relegation

Penstone Eagle
25-05-2017, 03:53 PM
If it's Monk I'll be seriously underwhelmed.

underwhelmed or worried, or both ?

Stellavista
25-05-2017, 04:38 PM
underwhelmed or worried, or both ?

I'd be terrified.

El Aguila
25-05-2017, 04:40 PM
If Steve Parish is still trying to get Sam to reconsider, we're not going to go all in for anyone, are we?

NorthPalace23
25-05-2017, 04:45 PM
If Steve Parish is still trying to get Sam to reconsider, we're not going to go all in for anyone, are we?

Is this a possibility?!

Robson
25-05-2017, 04:45 PM
If Steve Parish is still trying to get Sam to reconsider,

Any evidence for this?

henryhallandhisbasque
25-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Monk's look reminds me of a perfect casting for the role of a 1940s villain in The Blue Lamp. He doesn't come over as particularly​ gracious in interviews, and above all, I see no managerial track record to date that he's the right man to take us forward. I would prefer Dyche from Burnley, but if not him, then Silva, who I do think could do well here.

Sleeping Giant
25-05-2017, 04:47 PM

Please please Sam come back. I can't bear the thought of life without you. These other names are just depressing the sh*te out of me.

fang
25-05-2017, 04:49 PM

What have you heard?

Sleeping Giant
25-05-2017, 04:53 PM
Any evidence for this?

Probably just cheeky conjecture given the silence from the club. Sam would need time without SP in his ear anyway I'd have thought, as SP will know. Hoping he'll go back in a couple of weeks or so. I am prepared to be very patient if there was any chance. Not bothering to clutch straws or anything.

in-exile
25-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Let's get the Fulham chap! Sam can just come back in December if needed!

carter
25-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Allardyce isn't going to come back, that's all finished. Monk is going to M'boro!

TWELLSEagle
25-05-2017, 04:57 PM
Probably just cheeky conjecture given the silence from the club. Sam would need time without SP in his ear anyway I'd have thought, as SP will know. Hoping he'll go back in a couple of weeks or so. I am prepared to be very patient if there was any chance. Not bothering to clutch straws or anything.

I love Sam but I'm not sure we should wait weeks trying to persuade him to stay. If his heart is no longer in football, let him retire. Let's focus on moving forward and say thanks and good luck.

RisZero
25-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Sam already made his statement? Highly doubt theres negotiation at this point.

CPFC85
25-05-2017, 05:18 PM
Allardyce isn't going to come back, that's all finished. Monk is going to M'boro!

Thank God for that!

EryrExile
25-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Let's get the Fulham chap!

The Fulham chap was my pick from the lacklustre early lists doing the rounds, at a time when Silva was apparently already in the Porto job.

Now, Silva has to be above him, even if only because...you know...that new Delaney contract basically means Jokanović can't happen...

Then again, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Parish tried to get him. He's the type.

El Aguila
25-05-2017, 05:31 PM
Sorry, thought I read it somewhere. Eeek.

Martin H
25-05-2017, 05:35 PM

Sounds like good enough reasons, move on. ;-)

Little Fozzie
25-05-2017, 06:06 PM
http://m.hulldailymail.co.uk/marco-silva-s-hull-city-exit-may-not-be-a-surprise-but-it-makes-it-no-easier-to-digest-for-fans/story-30352918-detail/story.html

Hull fans and players liked him.

He's been a success everywhere he's been, and it would be extremely harsh to call his time at hull a failure. It would be a bit of a gamble going with him, but it would be an exciting one i think.

philsick
25-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Hull were a basket case. Started the season with a threadbare squad then sold their best players in jan again when we and others were recruiting plus they've been crippled by injuries to key players which did for them in the end . Silva worked an absolute miracle to get them anywhere near safety.

andyocpfc
25-05-2017, 06:34 PM
I'm starting to think I want him as our number one target now after doing a bit of reading on here.

JAS78
25-05-2017, 06:38 PM
I'm starting to think I want him as our number one target now after doing a bit of reading on here.

I was a bit nervous at first, but now I've warmed to the idea and decided we could have the new 'Poch' on our hands :D

fang
25-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Can someone explain to me why he likes zonal defending even if it seems not to work?