View Full Version : 20 years ago today; 26 May 1997

Sam Spade
26-05-2017, 06:11 AM
"Hopkin.....looking to curl one!"

https://youtu.be/qjgYc71QMtY

:lux::lux::lux:

JJ
26-05-2017, 06:47 AM
That goal was my single best ever moment as a Palace fan.

Yoda
26-05-2017, 07:09 AM
20 years....really, it's been 20 years?!!

I remember it so clearly, and celebrating with such relief afterwards.

Having lost at the end of the previous final, that whole match was hard to enjoy until that one moment...and then we all went nuts!

gold76
26-05-2017, 08:23 AM
fecking dull game, the Palace end upped the chanting with about 10 minutes to go, still think that turned the game our way.

gcwhite
26-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Sgt Pepper taught the band to play.

delboy01
26-05-2017, 06:05 PM
American guy on FB says a palace fan gave him a ticket and he was hooked after that.

Anyone gonna own up to that? :p

King William
27-05-2017, 03:03 AM
fecking dull game, the Palace end upped the chanting with about 10 minutes to go, still think that turned the game our way.

Yep

Unforgettable

N Herts Eagle
27-05-2017, 05:56 AM
The second time I cried at Wembley..... The first was Abide with Me 1990. The game just marked the end of the first battle following a heart attack. The first game after it was the previous seasons Final and despite the shin it was one of the few games where just being there meant so much.
A year then spent battling back to fitness despite a couple of set backs, getting back to work, travelling to games.
I thought the Final meant another day out another being there more important. At the final whistle I just cried my eyes out we were back in the top flight I was back. In some respects its one of my top 5 games ever.

lee_cpfc
27-05-2017, 06:54 AM
Probably the best atmosphere ever at a palace game away from selhurst especially that last ten minutes it's like we sucked the ball in.

Actually felt sorry for the Sheffield united fans outside afterwards with what happened with us a year before.

Great party at the Clifton that night. When it actually was a decent pub

What a day

Ant.Palace
27-05-2017, 07:11 AM

I still think that's the loudest i've ever heard us.

whyteleafeeagle
28-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Stevie Coppell's red n blue army - is there any footage of the 2nd half cause I've looked everywhere

YASSA the PALACETINIAN
28-05-2017, 08:25 AM
Never, ever experienced such a 10 minute high, after the Hopkin curler. Absolute euphoric pandemonium broke out all around us.....total strangers embracing like long lost relatives on Pogo sticks.
And the memory of Claridge's shinned fluke 12 months earlier consigned to the trash can.
Unforgettable...:lux:

TWOSEAT EAGLE
28-05-2017, 10:30 AM
My partners first ever Palace game, and she enjoyed it so much (especially the level of noise from the support) she became hooked on Palace (even though she's still got a soft spot for Burnley).

We lived near Epping at the time, but on the day had to visit family at Stanmore so she convinced me to get the tube from there - unfortunately, Sheffield United had run a whole convoy of coaches to Stanmore, from where they caught the tube as well, avoiding the obvious crush back to London. I rocked up in my Palace shirt and for a few moments, from the looks we were getting, I seriously thought I was going to get pasted, but the United fans were terrific and in the car park after the game were saying 'well done, good luck next season'.

I generally hate play off matches, I get so tense and wound up before and during them that I never really enjoyed any that I've been to, but that last few minutes and the hour after the final whistle were among the best moments in my time supporting the club.

Northern_palace
28-05-2017, 12:02 PM

It was a full game. I remember dean Gordon coming over to the palace fans when he took a throw in with about 15 mins to go trying to get everyone going.

It's amazing how vivid the memory still is of that day. When the ball came back out to hopkin I remember thinking to myself that he just needed to put the ball back in the danger area and don't shoot! Shows how much I knew!!

Jim Cannon
28-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Always worth seeing Simon Tracey's face after the goal, a picture

Baffled Bob 2
28-05-2017, 12:32 PM
If you could draw a line with a ruler from the ball on Hopkin's boot, through where it finished in the net right up to the top of the non tunnel end at the old Wembley, that line would end with me.

I remember watching the ball coming straight towards us in slow motion. I could see it was going in from about half way. Great day :lux::lux:

And that kit :love:

East-End Eagle
28-05-2017, 01:00 PM
I missed being there in person. The next day was my last exam at uni at 9am, I just couldn't risk it. Watched it in the student union, no other palace present...
Still feels like yesterday, 20 years since I finished uni, feel old.

NRM the 2nd
28-05-2017, 01:13 PM
Will never have a better wembley trip than that, the old stadium, wembley way a mass of colour in the sunshine, not a confidence but a feeling that due to the pain the year before, this one would be different, then that goal. Amazing

EagleSE24
28-05-2017, 03:27 PM
I remember the first leg of the semi so clearly. I can barely recall a thing about the final bar the winner and the fact the guys that ran my local chip shop were in the row in front.

Il Padrino
28-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Bruce Dyer's Adidas cut...

StevePlus
28-05-2017, 03:46 PM
If you could draw a line with a ruler from the ball on Hopkin's boot, through where it finished in the net right up to the top of the non tunnel end at the old Wembley, that line would end with me.

I remember watching the ball coming straight towards us in slow motion. I could see it was going in from about half way. Great day :lux::lux:

I was behind the goal, a bit to the right, and it appeared obvious to me that the ball was going to sail way past the outside of the goal. I didn't even feel tense - just another wasted chance.

I think their goalkeeper saw it the same way, as he hardly tried to save it. We were both rather surprised to see the ball in the back of the net.

Baffled Bob 2
28-05-2017, 03:54 PM
I was behind the goal, a bit to the right, and it appeared obvious to me that the ball was going to sail way past the outside of the goal. I didn't even feel tense - just another wasted chance.

I think their goalkeeper saw it the same way, as he hardly tried to save it. We were both rather surprised to see the ball in the back of the net.

Pfft. Cheap seats. :p

Twiggy
28-05-2017, 04:06 PM
im sure people who weren't there will not understand the atmosphere in the last few minutes of that game before the "hopkin looking to curl one moment". As others have said, the noise and emotion from it was such that you really felt that it was going to be our moment. The match itself was forgettable, but those there remembered the year before, and im sure it made us shout even louder. I was behind the shot, pitch level, on the side, and yes, the moment you saw it leave his boot, you knew it was dangerous and the curl of it was just fantastic. Amazing scenes after.....

gcwhite
28-05-2017, 04:29 PM
Like a lot of memorable moments everything seemed to happen in slow motion.

There was split second when it didn't actually register that the ball had gone in. It was only confirmed when a bloke behind me hugged me like a long lost brother.

Any euphoria that we experienced was soon tempered by watching Steve Coppell's interview on TV when we got home. When asked what promotion to the Premier League meant for Palace he said "9 months of misery I expect". This was followed soon after by the news of Hopkin's departure to Leeds.

At least we got to see Lombardo in the red and blue.

Coastal Palace
28-05-2017, 04:55 PM
Remember it well. We were right behind the goal and saw the perfect curvature....you c**t!
We walked past Wembley after the game (and a good jolly up) when we happened upon a group of Sheffield Utd fans including Sean Bean.

Long story short, I managed to insult Sean and his mates and put Sheffield Utd in their place.
It was obvious to all and sundry that Mr Bean wanted to smash my Palace mouth in. But he didn't.
I'm a lot taller than him so he chose the right 'keep your Northert mouth shut and take it on the chin' c**t.
And that's all I have to say about that.

prizesucker
28-05-2017, 05:25 PM
Stevie Coppell's red n blue army - is there any footage of the 2nd half cause I've looked everywhere

https://youtu.be/xpL6ny3Hj0A

28-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Wow - 20 years ago!

I still have the scarf :D

http://i.imgur.com/J0HM7Iw.jpg

bestperch
28-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Looking at photos of that day on Friday at the funeral of one of our sadly departed Palace mates. Seems like 5 minutes ago. Great day and so many happy memories.

Dobbo
28-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Carlo Nash celebrating with our kit man - last two off the pitch.

whyteleafeeagle
29-05-2017, 08:10 AM

Brilliant, can really hear the atmosphere in those final 10 minutes

Ruskin Old Boy
29-05-2017, 08:15 AM
My 11 year old son's first away match.

Priceless emotions at the end.

xab
29-05-2017, 10:08 AM

That was superb. Can't remember if I ever saw the game outside of Wembley, so much I'd forgotten. I honestly don't remember Bruce Dyer being that good, probably because of the forwards he was following in the footsteps of at the time.

What I do remember is someone recreating Hopkin's goal with a pint pot down George Street...

Maidstoned Eagle
29-05-2017, 01:00 PM
Remember it well. We were right behind the goal and saw the perfect curvature....you c**t!
We walked past Wembley after the game (and a good jolly up) when we happened upon a group of Sheffield Utd fans including Sean Bean.

Long story short, I managed to insult Sean and his mates and put Sheffield Utd in their place.
It was obvious to all and sundry that Mr Bean wanted to smash my Palace mouth in. But he didn't.
I'm a lot taller than him so he chose the right 'keep your Northert mouth shut and take it on the chin' c**t.
And that's all I have to say about that.

My hero.........

Maidstoned Eagle
29-05-2017, 01:02 PM

All game Hoppo had been making atrocious crosses into the box, from where we were sat (two blocks away from the royal box block) it just looked like another wayward cross...groans all around that turned into gasps of surprise then screams of absolute joy.

Even today that goal has me punching the air.

N Herts Eagle
29-05-2017, 01:59 PM
Like a lot of memorable moments everything seemed to happen in slow motion.

There was split second when it didn't actually register that the ball had gone in. It was only confirmed when a bloke behind me hugged me like a long lost brother.

Any euphoria that we experienced was soon tempered by watching Steve Coppell's interview on TV when we got home. When asked what promotion to the Premier League meant for Palace he said "9 months of misery I expect". This was followed soon after by the news of Hopkin's departure to Leeds.

At least we got to see Lombardo in the red and blue. I am glad you mentioned slow motion , because thats how I remember the shot as it curled into the net.... To me though and I was behind and to the right when it hit the back of the net , the ball seemed to grow it was like a full moon. I know it sounds weird but its the memory I have. I assume I just focused on the ball everything else was taken out of vision.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
29-05-2017, 02:20 PM
Can't believe it was twenty years ago. What a summer of expectation that was, especially when those ludicrous stories about signing Lombardo came out...

NYEagle
29-05-2017, 09:20 PM
All game Hoppo had been making atrocious crosses into the box, from where we were sat (two blocks away from the royal box block) it just looked like another wayward cross...groans all around that turned into gasps of surprise then screams of absolute joy.

Even today that goal has me punching the air.

Was opposite the Royal Box and therefore right behind Hopkins. Only one outcome.

We were the last Palace fans before the Sheffield Utd fans! Also remember that we had been beaten by Leicester the previous year in the 119th minute.

JannerEagle
29-05-2017, 09:28 PM
Was sat watching in a bar in La Manga after winning the 'Lifeline' week in Ron's villa !!
Bad timing!

Wycombe Eagle#2
29-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Talking about this just today with some friends who came along with me and the old man. Good times but the day was a blur.

Victoria meet up was amazing then it all started to go down hill. Had my big flag confiscated getting into Wembley, missed the national anthem going to the toilet whilst my pals and old man all placed a bet on Hopkin 1-0 scorecast leaving me out. Then went for a p*** in the final minute and heard the roar as I missed Hopkins goal. Finally through emotion and alcohol and needing to throw up in the toilet I missed the lifting of the trophy. Those were the days, young and stoopid😂