PDA

View Full Version : Ronaldinho

El Aguila
28-05-2017, 07:56 PM
I just spent a couple of hours watching him play a friendly. It was an utter joy. I know he never gets mentioned in those top five ever, because he was a bit of a waster, but really, has there ever been a player who gave such pleasure to everyone, whether you supported his team or the opposition?

Selhurst Flyer
28-05-2017, 08:33 PM
Lucky you. A maverick, longevity is probably why he's not mentioned in the top 5 ever? He's only just 37 now ffs. Was probably best in the world around 2005, played the game with a smile and did things nobody else would dare.

cpfc4evandeva
28-05-2017, 08:46 PM
I saw Quaresma live once and he was fantastic.

El Aguila
28-05-2017, 08:48 PM
There's something about him that's just "better" than the players who do vulgar stuff like win the golden boot..... watch the Bernabéu applaud him here: FAoP0_O3-Vk

CP-RJW
28-05-2017, 08:56 PM
Same, the first non Palace football match I went to was a friendly between Brazil and Portugal in 2006. Ronaldinho wasn't there unfortunately but Quaresma, Deco, Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka were.

Kylie_Tracey
28-05-2017, 09:11 PM
simply put a pure genius, a wonderful player, imagine him playing with Iniesta/Xavi and Biscuits at the peak of that team? he would have smashed every single record into oblivion, plus a WC and Copa America winner, medals that certain players that are regarded as the " best ever to kick a ball" are a long way from ever getting, I'd have him with Pele/Cryuff/Maradona/The Goofy Ronaldo and Romario in my top 6 of all time, the rest are a long way behind

Kylie_Tracey
28-05-2017, 09:18 PM
There's something about him that's just "better" than the players who do vulgar stuff like win the golden boot..... watch the Bernabéu applaud him here: FAoP0_O3-Vk

great clips there from a pure genius , makes me laugh watching Beckham in that clip, he shouldn't have even been on the same pitch as him

El Aguila
28-05-2017, 09:19 PM
I think Messi was lucky to play with him, and I think he learnt from him.
He's very zen. We went along today to watch all the historic Atletico greats in the last day at the Calderón, but we all ended up paying homage to Ronaldinho.

Kylie_Tracey
28-05-2017, 09:26 PM

I went to the 1992 ECF and watched Viali,Mancini, Katanec, Guardiola,Stioickov, et al, you know the best player on the pitch? Michael Laudrup

Jim Cannon
28-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Saw him play in his pomp. Incredible player and as OP says doesn't get the credit he deserves

El Aguila
28-05-2017, 09:40 PM
Laudrup had a mastery of time and rhythm that very few players ever had. He could make opponents chase ghosts, play with a glance.

Selhurst Celtic
28-05-2017, 09:59 PM
Saw him play in his pomp. Incredible player and as OP says doesn't get the credit he deserves

Me too. I went to Barcelona v Celtic in the Nou Camp when he was playing & he was a class act. I never got to see Zidane in the flesh, so the best player of that era I ever saw live was probably Kaka. He could run full pelt with the ball tied to his foot but his head up looking around the pitch for options.

west country boy
28-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Me too. I went to Barcelona v Celtic in the Nou Camp when he was playing & he was a class act. I never got to see Zidane in the flesh, so the best player of that era I ever saw live was probably Kaka. He could run full pelt with the ball tied to his foot but his head up looking around the pitch for options.Claude Davis is going to kill you in the sexiest of ways if he sees this.

My main issue with Ronaldinho was the hair but he was an exceptionally entertaining player.

El Aguila
28-05-2017, 10:15 PM
great clips there from a pure genius , makes me laugh watching Beckham in that clip, he shouldn't have even been on the same pitch as him

That summer, Barça were chasing Beckham but Madrid got him. Barça settled for the ugly lad.

Kylie_Tracey
28-05-2017, 11:31 PM
That summer, Barça were chasing Beckham but Madrid got him. Barça settled for the ugly lad.

was it a quote from Casilas or Ramos ? they said I never thought we would sign a player just to sell shirts!

Steamy
30-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Remember him scoring with his back in a game. Not an accidental goal, where the ball just happened to hit him. He realised he was in an awkward position and couldn't turn properly, so he actually angled his back to meet the ball and direct it in. Awesome.

JJ
30-05-2017, 10:25 AM
I saw Figo, Kluivert and Rivaldo in the Barcelona side that beat Arsenal 4-2 at Wembley in the Champions League in 1999. Rivaldo was fantastic. Their whole team was a bit good, to be fair.

SilentAssassin
30-05-2017, 10:44 AM
He's no Jeff Hughes though.

Neillo's Son
31-05-2017, 01:24 AM
Scored one of my fave goals in that amazing defeat away to Chelsea when Barca had the all gold kit, no backlift so just punted past Cech who was bang in form at the time.

Just class.

JAS78
31-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Scored one of my fave goals in that amazing defeat away to Chelsea when Barca had the all gold kit, no backlift so just punted past Cech who was bang in form at the time.

Just class.

9O3otJu2FWE

jmemour
31-05-2017, 01:07 PM
Was lucky enough to go to Barcelona vs AC Milan in 2005. That Milan side was awesome... Pirlo/Gattuso/Maldini/Nesta/Cafu/Shevchenko.

He ran rings round them all night and scored this winner to make it 2-1 with a minute to go. The noise when it went in...

https://youtu.be/0PW1rzoMdAs

Halftime Gold
31-05-2017, 02:27 PM
Showing his age a bit now...

Q_4bp8bBNVw

brighton_eagle
31-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Super player. Incredible skill, strength and dribbling ability, and all with a smile on his face. To get applauded by the Bernabeu crowd, whilst playing for Barca, is pretty impressive.

Rivaldo I will always remember for that embarrassing dive clutching his face in the World Cup.

Chas
02-06-2017, 01:43 AM
Wouldn't be surprised if he carries on past age 45 like Jaromir Jagr.

Golf Boy
02-06-2017, 06:07 AM
I went to the 1992 ECF and watched Viali,Mancini, Katanec, Guardiola,Stioickov, et al, you know the best player on the pitch? Michael Laudrup

Is that a surprise. Laudrup was better than all those players you name.

Sceagle
02-06-2017, 07:41 AM
My fave player ever

Bones14
02-06-2017, 08:13 AM
At the peak of his powers, simply the best of all time imo.
Made some of the best defenders look like statues, made fools of some of the best keepers. Had more tricks than a magician, the guy was a genius with the ball at his feet.
Just an outrageously talented footballer.
And played with a smile on his face, what's not to love.

The Omen
02-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Super player. Incredible skill, strength and dribbling ability, and all with a smile on his face. To get applauded by the Bernabeu crowd, whilst playing for Barca, is pretty impressive.

Rivaldo I will always remember for that embarrassing dive clutching his face in the World Cup.

Sadly I agree. Not in the same class a person as Ronaldinho, but his hat-trick in the last game of the season against Valencia - a game which Barcelona had to win to get in the Champions League - was amazing.

That third goal...

r0qi0jeyWGM

Kylie_Tracey
02-06-2017, 07:48 PM

a lot of the very best players from that era when questioned about the very best player they ever played with often quote Roberto Mancini

Jim Cannons Moustache
03-06-2017, 03:26 PM

At the 1986 world cup Laudrup was on a different level, he would have been talked about as one of the all time greats but unfortunately for him at the same tournament Maradona raised the bar up where it had never been before.