PDA

View Full Version : Euro Super League etc. [split from Selhurst Redevelopment thread]

cpfc4evandeva
15-06-2017, 02:19 PM
WTF:

"While general admission tickets to Tottenhamís gargantuan silver spaceship will start at £100.."

I know the away bit is capped at £30, but is that figure for real???

Here's the reality boys and girls:

Within 50 years time, only the top clubs will exist as professional entities. Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, etc. and they will all play in a Euro Super League. A season ticket might still exist, but it will cost tens of thousands, and will more than likely be owned by companies, given out to clients to keep them sweet.

Your average fan like me and you, who goes to football to see mates, have a beer and pray that your team wins, will be long gone. Replaced by the day trippers, tourists and corporate clients. It's already happening slowly at the big clubs, and once that lot realise that the small clubs are just a hindrance to making even more money, they'll move to their Super Euro League.

We'll probably crack on for a few more years playing in a new English, or perhaps UK league, and then slowly we'll all die out.

Before that though, it would be nice if we could at least rebuild some of Selhurst Park.

Spindle
15-06-2017, 02:30 PM
By that logic non-league wouldn't exist today. But it does.

SEEPEEEFFSEE
15-06-2017, 02:30 PM

Within 50 years time, only the top clubs will exist as professional entities. Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, etc. and they will all play in a Euro Super League. A season ticket might still exist, but it will cost tens of thousands, and will more than likely be owned by companies, given out to clients to keep them sweet.

Your average fan like me and you, who goes to football to see mates, have a beer and pray that your team wins, will be long gone. Replaced by the day trippers, tourists and corporate clients. It's already happening slowly at the big clubs, and once that lot realise that the small clubs are just a hindrance to making even more money, they'll move to their Super Euro League.

We'll probably crack on for a few more years playing in a new English, or perhaps UK league, and then slowly we'll all die out.

Before that though, it would be nice if we could at least rebuild some of Selhurst Park.

Danny Baker said on Talksport last year that the Premier League as we know it will probably be around for another 10 years tops and then as you post above, you'll have a Euro elite league and all the lesser teams will be forgotten.

Zulu84
15-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Yup, euro super League with permanent teams (like American Football, no relegation) is inevitable.

EdMan
15-06-2017, 02:43 PM
Danny Baker said on Talksport last year that the Premier League as we know it will probably be around for another 10 years tops and then as you post above, you'll have a Euro elite league and all the lesser teams will be forgotten.

Don't think this'll happen, and Danny Baker doesn't know anymore about it than the rest of us.

Spiderman
15-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Yup, euro super League with permanent teams (like American Football, no relegation) is inevitable.

I've long thought this but how boring would it be? After 1-2 seasons the novelty will wear off and all games will be played in US or Far East...nice

wedgetail
15-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Don't think this'll happen, and Danny Baker doesn't know anymore about it than the rest of us.

Danny Baker knows less than everyone about everything.

Wandle_Eagle
15-06-2017, 03:17 PM
By that logic non-league wouldn't exist today. But it does.

TBF he did say "exist as professional entities" which non-league is not.

Zulu84
15-06-2017, 03:19 PM

The owners of the biggest European clubs pretty much all want the stability of a fixed league that they control. Current league setups (both domestic and euro cup comps) offer too much instability for the amount of money that is at risk. Sadly I can't see how this won't happen

little al
15-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Danny Baker knows less than everyone about everything.

Danny Baker is actually a very intelligent man. And a great listen.

EdMan
15-06-2017, 05:43 PM
The owners of the biggest European clubs pretty much all want the stability of a fixed league that they control. Current league setups (both domestic and euro cup comps) offer too much instability for the amount of money that is at risk. Sadly I can't see how this won't happen

If the top 4 or 6 joined a permanent euro league, it wouldn't mean the demise of all the other clubs though. It might actually mean a more competitive top domestic league.

Norwich_Eagle
15-06-2017, 05:48 PM
If the top 4 or 6 joined a permanent euro league, it wouldn't mean the demise of all the other clubs though. It might actually mean a more competitive top domestic league.

I was just thinking that. In my eyes it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world if the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all pissed off to a Euro Super League and left the next 20-30 teams battling it out as it should be.

in-exile
15-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Danny Baker is actually a very intelligent man. And a great listen.Fat Millwall ****!

eagle-leg
15-06-2017, 06:22 PM

Chin up fella.

If them lot **** off then we can have some real football back. Only got to look at attendances in the lower leagues to realise that the quality of football on offer makes no difference to fans who just wanna turn up, drink and have a sing song.

It's tribal.

I don't really see that mentality disappearing in England, Germany, France, Turkey or any other country in Europe.

The standard may be reduced as all of the top players may play in the w@nky Euroleague, but the fan mentality will be stronger than ever.

brooklynlou
15-06-2017, 06:37 PM
I was just thinking that. In my eyes it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world if the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs all pissed off to a Euro Super League and left the next 20-30 teams battling it out as it should be.

You wouldnt have any worldwide audience for the English league. All the TV money would go to the super league. It would do to the PL what the PL did to the Championship and L1

eagle-leg
15-06-2017, 06:49 PM
You wouldnt have any worldwide audience for the English league. All the TV money would go to the super league. It would do to the PL what the PL did to the Championship and L1

I'm not sure that the average fan in England cares that much about worldwide tv audiences?

Championship games are watched in front of 10 million supporters every season. 4th best supported league in Europe.

Jim Cannon
15-06-2017, 07:02 PM
I've long thought this but how boring would it be? After 1-2 seasons the novelty will wear off and all games will be played in US or Far East...nice

I think real fans of the big clubs would soon get pissed off with it, but the gloryhunting armchair fans would lap it up. I suspect it is more likely the bug clubs will continue in the league as normal but they will quit the champions league as it is and have their own one: less games, no minnows and loads of money.

HRS
15-06-2017, 07:10 PM
If the top clubs in this country were to pull out then the Premier League would simply collapse.

west eagle
15-06-2017, 07:25 PM
If the top clubs in this country were to pull out then the Premier League would simply collapse.

why would the top clubs pull out of their own league?

west eagle
15-06-2017, 07:28 PM
I think real fans of the big clubs would soon get pissed off with it, but the gloryhunting armchair fans would lap it up. I suspect it is more likely the bug clubs will continue in the league as normal but they will quit the champions league as it is and have their own one: less games, no minnows and loads of money.

its the David V Goliath matches that makes the league interesting, if man utd play Real Madrid 4 times a season it becomes routine and not interesting.

orp pisshead1
15-06-2017, 07:38 PM

He's also a complete and utter millwall ****!

Se9 eagles
15-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Would love it if the big clubs buggered of.And Sky can piss off as well.Back to real football with local boys playing for Palace,3pm Sat kick offs,more games,more winnable games,less chance of relegation and more chance of winning something.Yes please!

sylvan eagle
15-06-2017, 07:42 PM
Would love it if the big clubs buggered of.And Sky can piss off as well.Back to real football with local boys playing for Palace,3pm Sat kick offs,more games,more winnable games,less chance of relegation and more chance of winning something.Yes please!

Turn the clock back 100 years

Se9 eagles
15-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Turn the clock back 100 years

25 will do.

HRS
15-06-2017, 08:26 PM

To get onboard an even bigger gravy train!

HRS
15-06-2017, 08:33 PM
its the David V Goliath matches that makes the league interesting, if man utd play Real Madrid 4 times a season it becomes routine and not interesting.

To proper football supporters like you and me I completely agree. However to all the CR7/Messi fanboy types out there this is exactly what is wanted. Personally I find it massively boring already watching the same teams playing against each other every year in the Champions League knockout stages.

regal_eagle
15-06-2017, 08:35 PM

Cardiff & Swansea did.

Celtic & Rangers would jump at the chance.

Dave
15-06-2017, 09:16 PM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/3oKIPizGuxJQxJtxhm/giphy.gif

cpfc4evandeva
15-06-2017, 09:17 PM

Any run of the mill football fan that goes to matches will find it ******* tedious. But there's a lot more 'tv football fans' than us lot, and they will absolutely love it.

I'm not saying it's ok but from a purely business point of view, I can understand why it will inevitably happen.

I don't really know what it will mean for us and Palace in the long term. I think a lot of us will certainly enjoy 'normal football' again, much like the pre-Premier League era. But in the long run, I can't see young kids getting tangled up in the Palace web, simply due to how much coverage a Euro Super League will get.

eagle-leg
15-06-2017, 09:41 PM
Any run of the mill football fan that goes to matches will find it ******* tedious. But there's a lot more 'tv football fans' than us lot, and they will absolutely love it.

I'm not saying it's ok but from a purely business point of view, I can understand why it will inevitably happen.

I don't really know what it will mean for us and Palace in the long term. I think a lot of us will certainly enjoy 'normal football' again, much like the pre-Premier League era. But in the long run, I can't see young kids getting tangled up in the Palace web, simply due to how much coverage a Euro Super League will get.

Cannot beat live football.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-06-2017, 10:03 PM

Wouldn't the Euro Super League become like the NFL is to America and the other domestic clubs be like College (American) football is to them? One if a big show that the vast majority of people rarely if ever attend but the other one would still be very well supported and popular too?

MFBias
15-06-2017, 11:52 PM

Alot of people support the top 6, but alot of people also support the other 86 clubs.

As ever there would be a opposite reaction to it. There will be less money but supporters will all still support their clubs. The Football League still survives as a proffessional entity. Its like saying CDs will kill vinyl, its just a wild prediction based on nothing.

Who knows kids growing up may have a Local club, a Euro Club and then a National team. Odd but could happen.

Spindle
16-06-2017, 07:43 AM

Most of the National League clubs are full time pro.

Uncle Neal
16-06-2017, 08:53 AM
People seem to forget the reason TV companies pay massive money for football is because of the packed stadia and great atmospheres.

As a previous poster said, if all the top boys play each other continuously, the excitement will drain and certainly you will not see the away numbers standing up.

If they do leave, they will be back and we should make them re-join the bottom division.

In any case, they have been saying this for years

bus w*nker
16-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Agree, let them go, the existing champions league I don not watch as but a few games lacks passion, atmosphere and true real football fans.

Wandle_Eagle
16-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Alot of people support the top 6, but alot of people also support the other 86 clubs.

As ever there would be a opposite reaction to it. There will be less money but supporters will all still support their clubs. The Football League still survives as a proffessional entity. Its like saying CDs will kill vinyl, its just a wild prediction based on nothing.

Who knows kids growing up may have a Local club, a Euro Club and then a National team. Odd but could happen.

I was just rebuking a point which suggested that all other clubs would die out. This can't be true as clubs still exist/persist/thrive as non league entities. I would still support Palace even if we plummeted to the Isthmian South.

I think a SuperLeague far-fetched; Who is cherry picking which clubs would get to join? On what criteria is this based? As someone already said the novelty would wear off after a few seasons. Bayern, Real and Barca would still have it all their own way and all the English, French and Italian teams would have to put up with not winning anything ever again, wouldn't go down well at all regardless of how much money is swishing around.

Norwich_Eagle
16-06-2017, 10:30 AM
I was just rebuking a point which suggested that all other clubs would die out. This can't be true as clubs still exist/persist/thrive as non league entities. I would still support Palace even if we plummeted to the Isthmian South.

I think a SuperLeague far-fetched; Who is cherry picking which clubs would get to join? On what criteria is this based? As someone already said the novelty would wear off after a few seasons. Bayern, Real and Barca would still have it all their own way and all the English, French and Italian teams would have to put up with not winning anything ever again, wouldn't go down well at all regardless of how much money is swishing around.

Bayern/Dortmund/Barca/Real came out a few years ago and said that they would be opposed to the idea if it ever came up.

cpfc4evandeva
16-06-2017, 11:40 AM

But CD did pretty much kill vinyl as a mainstream? And then files killed CD.

I think we will still exist but it may be a watered down version, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong by the way, but generations grow up differently and I think that average fans going to football matches every week through season tickets will slowly disappear.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
16-06-2017, 12:11 PM
But CD did pretty much kill vinyl as a mainstream? And then files killed CD.

I think we will still exist but it may be a watered down version, unfortunately. I hope I'm wrong by the way, but generations grow up differently and I think that average fans going to football matches every week through season tickets will slowly disappear.

I hate the fact that you're probably right.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
16-06-2017, 12:13 PM
To proper football supporters like you and me I completely agree. However to all the CR7/Messi fanboy types out there this is exactly what is wanted. Personally I find it massively boring already watching the same teams playing against each other every year in the Champions League knockout stages.

Astonished it's become even more popular - I've barely paid the 'competition' any attention since they let anyone other than the 'Champion' into the competition, and did away with the pure cup tie format. It's now more of a 'let's guarantee our favourites not only qualify every year, but have multiple chances to win' competition. They have truly done everything they can to meticulously replace any and all exciting unpredictability with optimum revenue making. It's boring as hell.

And though people bang on about Sky ruining football, it's the CL revenue that has caused the disparate separation between the elite PL clubs and the also rans.

cpfc4evandeva
16-06-2017, 12:59 PM

Just seen this and it's spot on, unfortunately.

mikethetie2010
16-06-2017, 01:12 PM
The possibility that the gravy train runs dry is another good reason why clubs like us mustnt squander the stupid money we get each year. To be spending it all on players wages and transfers is mental and short sighted. We should be squirrelling away large quantities of cash 20plus mill a year or investing in tangible assets.

Wandle_Eagle
16-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Bayern/Dortmund/Barca/Real came out a few years ago and said that they would be opposed to the idea if it ever came up.

Really?! I remember the Real president championing the idea of 'the best playing the best' paraphrasing him but still. Not surprised that Bayern, Dortmund and Barca would be opposed though.

Anyway I don't have much to say about the spoken-about-since-the-Holmesdale-got-built-in-1995-redevelopment other than I'm excited if we could potentially be the guineapig for the whole Suprastadio concept.

Norwich_Eagle
16-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Really?! I remember the Real president championing the idea of 'the best playing the best' paraphrasing him but still. Not surprised that Bayern, Dortmund and Barca would be opposed though.

Anyway I don't have much to say about the spoken-about-since-the-Holmesdale-got-built-in-1995-redevelopment other than I'm excited if we could potentially be the guineapig for the whole Suprastadio concept.

From memory it all hit the fan so to speak after their game vs. Celta Vigo (might not be remembering that team correctly) was postponed due to high winds causing stadium damage.

At the time Madrid came out and said La Liga is beneath us, we want a Euro League blah blah blah and have subsequently cooled their jets and said that maybe that is a stupid idea instead of us playing in La Liga but have since begun discussions to re-format European club competitions on a wider scale.

cpfc4evandeva
16-06-2017, 03:19 PM
From memory it all hit the fan so to speak after their game vs. Celta Vigo (might not be remembering that team correctly) was postponed due to high winds causing stadium damage.

At the time Madrid came out and said La Liga is beneath us, we want a Euro League blah blah blah and have subsequently cooled their jets and said that maybe that is a stupid idea instead of us playing in La Liga but have since begun discussions to re-format European club competitions on a wider scale.

The ideal for the big teams would be keeping a B team in their domestic leagues. I'd like to think that English clubs would never accept that...

Mad Raschic Ken
16-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Astonished it's become even more popular - I've barely paid the 'competition' any attention since they let anyone other than the 'Champion' into the competition, and did away with the pure cup tie format. It's now more of a 'let's guarantee our favourites not only qualify every year, but have multiple chances to win' competition. They have truly done everything they can to meticulously replace any and all exciting unpredictability with optimum revenue making. It's boring as hell.

And though people bang on about Sky ruining football, it's the CL revenue that has caused the disparate separation between the elite PL clubs and the also rans.

I just about raise enough interest to watch the final and maybe a semi final. I can't remember the last time I bothered with a group game.

orp pisshead1
17-06-2017, 01:09 AM
I just about raise enough interest to watch the final and maybe a semi final. I can't remember the last time I bothered with a group game.

I watched the cup final because it was in Britain & i thought the Italians might have the nouse to stop Madrid. Haven't watched any other game as it's a very plastic competition.

Mr Mojo Risin
17-06-2017, 07:37 PM
I don't think this will happen. I remember a similar discussion happening about 15 years ago and nothing ever came of it.