PDA

View Full Version : Football rule changes

Twin of Droy
17-06-2017, 10:37 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

Some improvements to the cynical time wasting in football would be welcome but I can't help thinking that with a stop clock we could see the introduction of advertisement breaks in games

Icy
17-06-2017, 11:20 PM
Last time they tried this the matches went on forever. Not that tranmere away is ever particularly exciting.

Heard they were talking about allowing dribbles instead of free kicks etc too...

Louis
18-06-2017, 05:27 AM
The most controversial change proposed is surely shortening the game from 45 min halves to 30 min halves

EnglandEagle
18-06-2017, 05:52 AM
So because only 60 minutes is actually played the logic is to reduce the game time to 60 minutes and then bring in rules to ensure that 60 minutes are played. Bloody logic there. Just be stricter on time wasting and get 90 mins of play. Perhaps more stopping of the watch would work, but is just as likely to result in leaving the ground after midnight on a midweek fixture up north.

Rule change should be refs to strap on a pair and actually do their job.

Leaving the pitch at the nearest part of the touchline makes sense. As long as there is also the introduction of an automatic 10 match ban for players who go and stand on the centre spot when their number is called.

Bipe
18-06-2017, 07:10 AM
Not stopping the game for substitutions or treatment of "injuries" would be a simple but effective counter to the time wasting epidemic. You could make an exception for obvious head injuries, collisions in the penalty area etc.

It would put an end to the current vogue for the 92nd minute time wasting technical substitution which sees the player about to go off receive an advance warning of his fate, sneak over to the far side of the pitch, suffer 'cramp', roll around on the floor for a bit, gingerly get up and refuse the stretcher, then slowly hobble off the pitch making what should be a 30 second break more like 2 minutes

eagle-leg
18-06-2017, 07:17 AM
I quite liked all of the proposals.

Time keeping would essentially become like rugby, with a timed clock stopped by the refere for interruptions, linked up to the scoreboard. Makes sense to me and ensures that no team is given an advantage through time wasting and there could be no accusations of the ref awarding the big teama the minutes they need to get a result (fergie time or chelsea away this year).

I also like the idea of no rebounds from a penalty (Stops encroachment) and that a red card and a goal would be awarded if a player deliberately prevents a goal by handling on the line (think Suarez).

spy
18-06-2017, 08:09 AM
I think awarding a penalty for a back pass is excessive - I assume this wouldn't include accidental back passes?

Also awarding a goal when the ball hasn't crossed the line sounds a bit strange.

I am sure most of these won't actually happen.

wedgetail
18-06-2017, 08:47 AM
If these changes come in I will have to walk away from football.

Jim Cannon
18-06-2017, 08:57 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

Some improvements to the cynical time wasting in football would be welcome but I can't help thinking that with a stop clock we could see the introduction of advertisement breaks in games

The stop clock thing would drive me mental and would probably be time I decide they have ****ed our game beyond repair. The penalty idea is worthy of debate, but is a double edged sword. On the one hand there is nothing more gutting than seeing your keeper save a pen only for the rebound to smashed in, but of course when it goes in your favour nobody is complaining. I could see this one being trialled but they can shove their stop clock where the sun doesn't shine

JAS78
18-06-2017, 08:57 AM
The most controversial change proposed is surely shortening the game from 45 min halves to 30 min halves

Majority of games only have about 55 minutes of gameplay anyway so that rule might actually tighten things up a bit.

Jim Cannon
18-06-2017, 09:00 AM
I think awarding a penalty for a back pass is excessive - I assume this wouldn't include accidental back passes?

Also awarding a goal when the ball hasn't crossed the line sounds a bit strange.

I am sure most of these won't actually happen.

Presumably, but look at the way handball has evolved in recent years. These days a ball can be smashed at your arm for 2 yards and everyone appeals and and they get given frequently. The backpass could easily go the same way. The rebound idea is not totally stupid, but backpasses I don't think so

Vince Hilaire's Afro
18-06-2017, 09:33 AM
NFL games have four 15 minute quarters, but the games go on for about 3 hours!

Jim Cannon
18-06-2017, 09:38 AM
NFL games have four 15 minute quarters, but the games go on for about 3 hours!

I would expect Sky to come to our rescue over this preposterous suggestion. It would play havoc with their scheduling, particularly of back to back matches, so nowt to worry about

Vince Hilaire's Afro
18-06-2017, 09:40 AM
I would expect Sky to come to our rescue over this preposterous suggestion. It would play havoc with their scheduling, particularly of back to back matches, so nowt to worry about

The American TV networks love it - ads every 5 minutes!

Jim Cannon
18-06-2017, 09:43 AM
The American TV networks love it - ads every 5 minutes!

Yes, but over here, if the "spectacle" of a football match suddenly lasts 3 hours instead of roughly 95 mins think how much money Sky will be expected to cough up for the privilege of showing it. Never going to happen here, it's established in the states but can't see it working here. Anybody who supports this idea may wish to consider it would signal the death of away fan when games last a ridiculous amount of time and you can't get home

Halfwayline
18-06-2017, 09:58 AM
Teams could spent ages on free kicks and throws etc as the clock is stopped. They are not time wasting. In the NFL a 60 minute games takes over 3 hours. only around 6 minutes are Time Outs plus a few mins for reviews and injuries.

elgin eagle
18-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Not for me. Would like them to scrap penalties after cup games though. And maybe have an extra relegation spot for the team that statistically timewastes the most over the season.

Palace121
18-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Not for me. Would like them to scrap penalties after cup games though. And maybe have an extra relegation spot for the team that statistically timewastes the most over the season.

Good luck policing that one!

elgin eagle
18-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Good luck policing that one!

I wouldn't police it. I'd just give it to west brom.

MFBias
18-06-2017, 11:23 AM

The clock stops in NFL when it goes out of bounds, and a Play could last 3 seconds after the snap with lots of time between Plays. Football is very different as the ball is in play alot longer. Football matches will have a range probably of 80-120mins but not longer, probably it will quicken things up if anything.

Throw ons or Corners the clock will continue.

cpfc4evandeva
18-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Shit ideas as per usual. How wank does having one player kick off instead of two? A completely pointless idea but nothing in comparison to some of this nonsense.

bubbs11
18-06-2017, 12:19 PM
' The idea of only allowing captains to speak to referees - to prevent match officials being mobbed - will be trialled at this summer's Confederations Cup'

This has to be trialled first! Why?!?! Just get on with it.

rambo1
18-06-2017, 12:28 PM

If these changes come in I'll Eat my Hat,which I Don't wear.

evvo111
18-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Make everyone play one touch football. It's the way forward :o

jimmy the gent
18-06-2017, 01:27 PM
I've long believed the game would be greatly enhanced by having one player from each teams match day squad being randomly selected by computer algorithm, and forced to play in clown shoes. I've written to all football league clubs proposing this, so far only receiving a response from one, Charlton, who to be fair, are very keen.

eagle-leg
18-06-2017, 05:06 PM
' The idea of only allowing captains to speak to referees - to prevent match officials being mobbed - will be trialled at this summer's Confederations Cup'

This has to be trialled first! Why?!?! Just get on with it.

The FA already have a version of this rule;

'A referee must seek Wayne Rooneys permission before making a decission'

Walter Wort
18-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Were these ideas proposed by some Jimmy Hill tribute act?

PALACEWU
18-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Were these ideas proposed by some Jimmy Hill tribute act?

******* dumb I agree.

CedarEagle
18-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Stop all the confusion over offside and scrap it.

Jim Cannon
18-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Stop all the confusion over offside and scrap it.

The offside rule was fine until they starting ******* about with it

Hedgehog
18-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Just leave the **** alone... it's worked for 125+ years.

Gamesmanship is all part of the game. There are rules in place already to combat excessive time wasting.

Hedgehog
18-06-2017, 06:29 PM
Mind you... I'm still miffed about the goalkeeper/back pass rule.

jimmy the gent
18-06-2017, 06:33 PM
Mind you... I'm still miffed about the goalkeeper/back pass rule.

A Liverpool fan emerges

Hedgehog
18-06-2017, 06:44 PM
A Liverpool fan emerges
No - just an ex-goalkeeper who wasn't very good with his feet!

johnnybacaro
18-06-2017, 09:01 PM
well we are at it; 2 new laws i'd like to see

- No offsides inside 6 yard box
- player who earns a penalty needs to take it

cpfc4evandeva
18-06-2017, 09:14 PM
well we are at it; 2 new laws i'd like to see

- No offsides inside 6 yard box

Why to either of those?

Especially the offside thing? You would literally have goalhangers who would just spend 90 minutes of the game in there.

Lee sinnots ear
18-06-2017, 09:20 PM

Bye Bye:jerkit:

Vince Hilaire's Afro
18-06-2017, 09:38 PM
Just leave the **** alone... it's worked for 125+ years.

Gamesmanship is all part of the game. There are rules in place already to combat excessive time wasting.

There have probably been hundreds of changes to the rules since the 1800s!

johnnybacaro
18-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Why to either of those?

Especially the offside thing? You would literally have goalhangers who would just spend 90 minutes of the game in there.

I should have explained it better. THere can be no offsides if the last defender is inside the 6 yard box. It eliminates some in my mind ridiculous offsides off corner kicks, especially off flicked headers.

For the penalties, I think it creates more fairness. If a weak shooter gets fouled, his team shouldnt be able to send out their best striker to try to convert.

Jim Cannon
18-06-2017, 10:49 PM
For the penalties, I think it creates more fairness. If a weak shooter gets fouled, his team shouldnt be able to send out their best striker to try to convert.

Ridicilous. What next, if a "crap" player gets taken out it isn't a red card because he is useless anyway?

elgin eagle
18-06-2017, 10:54 PM
Ridicilous. What next, if a "crap" player gets taken out it isn't a red card because he is useless anyway?

Or gets injured from the foul.

On absolute radio they were discussing having the penalty shootout before the match starts :)

CarlosTheFinger
18-06-2017, 11:03 PM
Very much in favour of the rules in the article I've just read. I started recording matches last season as I couldn't watch all of them live. One particular day watching Bournemouth vs Spurs, I was short of time, so I came up with the idea of fastforwarding through the moments when the ball was out of play. I couldn't believe how quickly I got through the match. Less than one hour and I'd seen every important moment in the whole game. I record most matches now and when I watch them live, it feels so slow seeing how little the ball is actually in play.

Very big fan of the proposal to change the order of penalties too. Horrible way to decide a game, so anything to make it fairer suits me.

Cheers Timeyboys,

Carlos

Hedgehog
19-06-2017, 12:14 AM
There have probably been hundreds of changes to the rules since the 1800s!
Well yes... tinkering I would say.

These are major sea changes. (I've always wanted to use that term! ;) )

danpalace07
19-06-2017, 04:55 AM
Hopefully they actually trial all of these for a long period instead of just sticking them into the game and going away to think up some more ways to change/**** up the world's sport

none sound particularly bad tbh

saxoneagle
19-06-2017, 07:41 AM
Rugby is 40 minutes per half, and this generally takes 50 minutes unless there is a major injury. That's not too much "extra".

MasterYoda
19-06-2017, 08:16 AM
Rugby is 40 minutes per half, and this generally takes 50 minutes unless there is a major injury. That's not too much "extra".

Seems most international games are getting on for 55-60 in the second half nowadays with all the subs.

davech
19-06-2017, 09:10 AM
The downside of the timed periods would be that things like "Pogba 90+6" would be consigned to fond memories of the past :(

Halfwayline
19-06-2017, 10:19 AM
I should have explained it better. THere can be no offsides if the last defender is inside the 6 yard box. It eliminates some in my mind ridiculous offsides off corner kicks, especially off flicked headers.

Maybe limit the takers to all players in the penalty area. There are too many pens in games. Should only be given if there is a clear goal scoring opportunity.

mcmean
19-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Or gets injured from the foul.

On absolute radio they were discussing having the penalty shootout before the match starts :)

Or just bring back the old MLS style penalty shootouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRITqS6WEn0

FourtyTwo
19-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Maybe limit the takers to all players in the penalty area. There are too many pens in games. Should only be given if there is a clear goal scoring opportunity.

I actually think there aren't enough penalties given. Too often you see offences which, if outside the box would have been penalised, go completely unpunished just because the outcome would be worse in side the box.

Same with second yellows - players not being booked because it would result in a sending off is ridiculous.

saxoneagle
19-06-2017, 12:02 PM

That's stupid.

Team A is attacking and to stop them scoring, Team B commits a foul.

Team A were denied an attacking opportunity so should have every right to let their best player take it.

By making it the personal fouled, you could hand the advantage to Team B.

Jim Cannon
19-06-2017, 12:10 PM
That's stupid.

Team A is attacking and to stop them scoring, Team B commits a foul.

Team A were denied an attacking opportunity so should have every right to let their best player take it.

By making it the personal fouled, you could hand the advantage to Team B.

I do not understand why he is talking about making penalties fairer. I think he is failing to understand that the team awarded the penalty is basically expecting to score a goal and he wants to make it easier for the other team to stop them. With rules like that teams would risk giving away pens for fouls on any player they don't fancy to score a pen......

evvo111
19-06-2017, 12:18 PM
If they cut it to 60 minutes, will they reduce the ticket price by a third?

davech
19-06-2017, 12:25 PM
If they cut it to 60 minutes, will they reduce the ticket price by a third?

No, because they will add the 30 minutes to the half-time break so we can listen to the marching band and Little Mix miming away (live). And you will have plenty of time for a rancid burger and warm beer. Don't expect to be home before midnight. :rolleyes:

Eagle's Nest
19-06-2017, 12:30 PM
It makes sense to me. But let's call it 40 per half and have a little more football. We deserve it.

elgin eagle
19-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Or just bring back the old MLS style penalty shootouts

Interesting how when the keeper brings the taker down it reverts to a normal penalty with no punishment for the keeper. Keeper then saves the pen!!

Personally i'd do away with pens altogether and keep playing, removing 2 players every 2 minutes until a goal is scored.

Bungalow
19-06-2017, 12:40 PM
These changes look pretty interesting and worth trialling.

Not being able to score on a rebound from a pen is a good one.

Anything to stop time wasting is a good idea but not sure how it would work at amateur level.

N Herts Eagle
19-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Now I am old so not really in favour of many changes, I see nothing wrong in scoring from the rebound of a penalty save. I do though like the idea of a goal being awarded if the ball is handled near or on the line preventing a goal.
I like the idea of a stadium clock linked to the refs which should be a stop watch I can see an argument for a separate time keeper. Added time often seems a lottery to me.
Back pass is a penalty , I cannot remember any back pass free kicks this season, but seems harsh to me.

N Herts Eagle
19-06-2017, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't police it. I'd just give it to west brom. Behave and learn our history.....first season three down, we were relegated, first only season four relegated from top flight we were relegated.
Please no changes to relegation places it would be our destiny.....

Palace Bear
19-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Don't like the rebound idea, idea is a pen gives team who have been fouled a chance to score, as in open play, if the keeper saves there's a chance to score from the rebound.
A good way to stop encroachment would be this in my opinion:

Defender in the box = yellow card and automatic goal.
Attacker in the box = yellow card, penalty voided and indirect freekick.

Ref blows whistle as soon as white line is breached before ball kicked and the first offender is punished. Think we'd soon find players abiding the rules.

Frisky
19-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Not stopping the game for substitutions or treatment of "injuries" would be a simple but effective counter to the time wasting epidemic. You could make an exception for obvious head injuries, collisions in the penalty area etc.

It would put an end to the current vogue for the 92nd minute time wasting technical substitution which sees the player about to go off receive an advance warning of his fate, sneak over to the far side of the pitch, suffer 'cramp', roll around on the floor for a bit, gingerly get up and refuse the stretcher, then slowly hobble off the pitch making what should be a 30 second break more like 2 minutes

I've suggested similar in the past on substitutions. It would mean players would run off instead of time wasting otherwise their team would be down to 10 men. A simple but very effective change imho and would save 3-5 minutes a match. The third official would ensure a side as no more that 11 on the pitch.

Not so sure on injuries but I see where you've coming from.

GrayP41ace
19-06-2017, 01:32 PM
It makes sense to me. But let's call it 40 per half and have a little more football. We deserve it.

I dunno, some of the shit at Selhurst in 2016 and I'd prefer they cut it to 20 minutes in total, no one deserved that :D

davech
19-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Don't like the rebound idea, idea is a pen gives team who have been fouled a chance to score, as in open play, if the keeper saves there's a chance to score from the rebound.
A good way to stop encroachment would be this in my opinion:

Defender in the box = yellow card and automatic goal.
Attacker in the box = yellow card, penalty voided and indirect freekick.

Ref blows whistle as soon as white line is breached before ball kicked and the first offender is punished. Think we'd soon find players abiding the rules.

Just award a penalty goal. Player committing the foul/encroachment gets 'sin-binned' for 15 minutes. Yellow/Red cards should be restricted to fouls/serious foul play. I am a big fan of instant punishment, not to the benefit of some unconnected club at some point in the future.

None of this ever really works, though, because the powers that be wouldn't have the balls to apply the rules, e.g. Only captains to speak to the ref (thought something similar was already in place?), kick advanced 10 yards for non-compliance (tried it and dropped it :confused:), particularly if it applied to the 'big six' as well :rolleyes:

saxoneagle
19-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Not so sure on injuries but I see where you've coming from.

Rugby treats injuries while the game continues. Match only stopped if it looks like the play could hamper the treatment or if the injury is serious.

If the match comes to a stop with a player being treated, the treatment is finished before play continues.

If the game carried on while Ronaldo, say, did 300 rolls around at the far end of the pitch and cried like a little bitch, and his team conceded... he'd soon consider how injured he really was, wouldn't he?

saxoneagle
19-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Just award a penalty goal. Player committing the foul/encroachment gets 'sin-binned' for 15 minutes. Yellow/Red cards should be restricted to fouls/serious foul play. I am a big fan of instant punishment, not to the benefit of some unconnected club at some point in the future.

None of this ever really works, though, because the powers that be wouldn't have the balls to apply the rules, e.g. Only captains to speak to the ref (thought something similar was already in place?), kick advanced 10 yards for non-compliance (tried it and dropped it :confused:), particularly if it applied to the 'big six' as well :rolleyes:

Yes, I prefer immediate punishments over future, too. And sinbins are great, IMO.

pardew's shorts
19-06-2017, 03:35 PM
The discussion is welcome, even if some of the ideas aren't quite my cup of tea. Some of them are great, though.

I've long wanted the time to be stopped and regulated independently of the referee, and have also thought a self-pass law (similar to hockey) might be an idea for free-kicks (in the player's own half, at least) - anything that speeds the game up and cuts down on time-wasting is to be welcomed. On a similar theme, I've long thought that injured players should be treated concurrently to the match being played, as in rugby.

If anything is approved, trials are very important. I was a big advocate of VAR or similar, but thus far the jury is still very much out. Hopefully the trialling will iron out the problems. The correct decisions are being reached, which is the ultimate aim of course, but the communication between referee and teams and fans and those watching on TV is chronically lacking at present, and something just doesn't feel quite right at the moment - there's a danger, as seen in yesterday's Confederations Cup matches, that it will suck all of the spontaneous joy and chaos out of scoring a goal.