I'll set up the Velogames malarkey too.

kabbott
21-06-2017, 05:27 PM
Velogames!!!

League Name: CPFC BBS
League Code: 90659958

Newts G
22-06-2017, 01:59 AM
I am going to give this a go, reckon I will be pants, but team is submitted!!!

Perky
22-06-2017, 07:20 AM
I'm in, bring on a week of tweaking!!

ardeo
22-06-2017, 12:43 PM
I will join in.

But, how strong is that Team Sky team? Looks unbelievable. When did Kwiatkowski join?

Adlerhorst
22-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Never really understood what Luke Rowe brings to a grand tour team, but that's probably my lack of knowledge

JamTheEagle
22-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Count me in.

Excowboy
23-06-2017, 02:46 PM
I'm in. Tough to get a team in under 100 this year without missing out the big scorers.

Jaserob
24-06-2017, 02:37 AM
I'm there. Tough year this year

Hedgehog
24-06-2017, 02:43 AM
How is Geoff Thomas doing ahead of the race?

charltonhater
24-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Will certainly tinker with my team over next few days.
Same question every year, is it worth blowing half your 100 credit budget on Froome and Sagan?

charltonhater
24-06-2017, 12:51 PM
How is Geoff Thomas doing ahead of the race?

33% of his target so on course to make his goal
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/3tours

LSEagle
24-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Pretty sure my team will be dreadful but I've entered anyway.

Looking forward to the TdF this year, seems quite unpredictable

Palestinian
24-06-2017, 04:46 PM
I'm in with Une Lutte Prolongée - given my recent Velogames form it is exactly what I expect it to be - a prolonged struggle. Hopefully I will get some time to tinker with the team as otherwise I will be in Lanterne rouge territory (again).

THB
24-06-2017, 06:39 PM
sweet mimsy is in.

To froome or not to froome, that is the question.

spunky
24-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Picked my team in a rush earlier, 126 points, back to the drawing board for spunky's superstars...

GreatGonzo
24-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Froome has looked human. Porte always has a bad day in the 3 weeks. Contador has been pretty anonymous in the run up. Difficult to pick this year regardless of how many credits they are. Usual question of can you overlook Sagan?

spunky
24-06-2017, 08:45 PM
My money is on quintana, he had a reasonable warm up (giro) he'll come strong in the tour, expect sagan to get a few stage wins

GreatGonzo
24-06-2017, 09:28 PM
My money is on quintana, he had a reasonable warm up (giro) he'll come strong in the tour, expect sagan to get a few stage wins

Sagan will struggle against the pure fast men. Question I have is how much of a challenge will Matthews pose on the lumpier stages.

kabbott
25-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Froome has looked human. Porte always has a bad day in the 3 weeks. Contador has been pretty anonymous in the run up. Difficult to pick this year regardless of how many credits they are. Usual question of can you overlook Sagan?

I agree with a lot of this. Froome has looked human since the UKad investigation! :rolleyes: No TUEs for him this year? Porte is unlucky and/or has a really bad day and Beefy is past it. What has Quintana got left in the tank after the Giro? Or was he just training?
I reckon this TDF is a lot harder than it looks on paper. They've certainly gone looking for some new steeper climbs so I think we could be in for some fun. If, however, Froome wins Stage 5 at La Planche Des Belles Filles, the Tour could become boring if the Sky team them rides to the top of each col with Kiryienka, Thomas, Nieve, Kwiatowski and Landa, which is why I'm hoping something happens to Froome.
I think there could be some surprising names on the podium at the end of the 3 weeks.

Adlerhorst
25-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Can anyone answer my Luke Rowe question?

kabbott
25-06-2017, 09:15 AM
The official TDF site en anglais:

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2017/us/overall-route.html

More interesting reading:

http://www.velonews.com/races_event/2017-tour-de-france

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-france/

http://road.cc/content/feature/224496-tour-de-france-2017-preview-your-stage-stage-guide-cyclings-biggest-race

4rSkkrEGkB4

kabbott
25-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Can anyone answer my Luke Rowe question?

Luke Rowe is just a "domestique", in other words his job will be just to protect Froome and keep him out of trouble, drop back to the team car and give him his drink bottles. If and when Froome takes the "maillot jaune" his job will then be to ride a "tempo" at the front of the peloton on the flat stages. He won't be going for personal glory.

Adlerhorst
25-06-2017, 09:25 AM
I know the role he is performing on the team, but sky appear to be loaded with Super domestiques and he is, well just a domestique. There was also some chat about that suggested he had a team leader role (not in a I want to win thing, but there some was kind of intangibles that he brought to the team)

Little Fozzie
25-06-2017, 10:14 AM
Not an expert, but Rowe is a pretty strong rider in the classics (though i didn't watch them this year so no idea how he did). To me he seems like the type of rider who, should froome be in yellow, would sit on the front of the peleton all day holding a steady pace, then leave the others to it on the climbs.

Captain Pizza
25-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Deliveroo Procycling is in. No threat to the podium.

LSEagle
25-06-2017, 10:28 AM

I've stuck Sagan, Quintana and Kittel in the team. The only downside is it means I have to include 3 jobbers in my line up

Captain Pizza
25-06-2017, 10:28 AM
I think you'll see froome stuck to Rowe's wheel and rather it will be Kiriyenka and Knees who are doing most of the hard kms on the front. I think his role as road captain is basically Froome's minder. More likely it'll be kwiatkowski, henao and landa going back to get the bottles on the flatter stages

kabbott
25-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Velogames is looking good with a week to go!

Cycling Sharks 8
Dave Mc

Une Lutte Prolongee
Palestinian aka Running Past

Perky Legends
Martyn Perkins

Fun Fun Fun on the Autobahn
Excowboy

Sweetus Mimsyus
Sweet Mimsy

Wheely Good Team
Chris Giggs

Jaserob
Jason Hughes

Team Tousart
kabbott

Un Sang Impur
Forza Selhurst

#LbSNews Canoeing and Cycling Club
Steve Sugg

Zoot Allures
Lucky Old Gladys

OPH
3 Beers at HT

Deliveroo Procycling
Captain Pizza

JamTheEagle
Sam Johnson

Team Ground
lseagle

Big Dogs
Newts G

kabbott
25-06-2017, 10:46 AM
I've stuck Sagan, Quintana and Kittel in the team. The only downside is it means I have to include 3 jobbers in my line up

The Wild Card is always a tricky one. Go for an extra climber/GC rider or a sprinter? I generally go for the extra climber or all-rounder. There are this year, however, more sprint stages than hilly ones ...
More tinkering to be done yet!

maestro
25-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Why is Stannard not in team skys team? he has always been a good workhorse

singapore eagle
25-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Does anyone wonder if we might see a surprise winner this year? There seem to be question marks against most of the favourites' names.

Finbar
25-06-2017, 11:46 AM
I'm in

AddoWolz
25-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Froome , yellow

Sagan , Green

9 flat stages , Cav to win 2 sprint finishes to add to his 30 stage wins , la tour is a fantastic watch

kabbott
25-06-2017, 12:27 PM
Does anyone wonder if we might see a surprise winner this year? There seem to be question marks against most of the favourites' names.

Yes, as I hinted in my reply to GG.
I'll either finish last in Velogames or be considered a genius judging by the team I've put in! (plenty of tinkering-time left though!)

spunky
25-06-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm in, gone heavy on high value riders, leaving me **** all points available to pad out the team, fair few 4 pointers shoved in, really looking fwd to it

singapore eagle
25-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Yes, as I hinted in my reply to GG.
I'll either finish last in Velogames or be considered a genius judging by the team I've put in! (plenty of tinkering-time left though!)

Oops, sorry, I completely missed your post. Romain Bardet for the win then!

FORZA SELHURST
25-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Why is Stannard not in team skys team? he has always been a good workhorse

Got some sort of virus and abandoned during the dauphine.

FORZA SELHURST
25-06-2017, 01:44 PM

Depends on how you mean 'surprise'. I think it could be but it won't be someone completely leftfield out of nowhere.

LSEagle
25-06-2017, 05:11 PM
I'm in, gone heavy on high value riders, leaving me **** all points available to pad out the team, fair few 4 pointers shoved in, really looking fwd to it

It's what I always do and I'm fairly convinced it's not the best strategy. I tried to go heavy on French, particularly FDJ, 4 point riders on the (very convoluted) basis that they may be inspired in their home tour.

FORZA SELHURST
25-06-2017, 05:14 PM
Got some sort of virus and abandoned during the dauphine.

Appears to be going well today tho.

Ruskin Old Boy
25-06-2017, 07:09 PM
I'm in.

Webb
26-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Done, looking forward to this again!

JamTheEagle
26-06-2017, 11:50 AM

Probably will jinx it but I really think it is Froome's to lose, yes he has had some questionable performances on some mountain stages this season but I doubt others like Porte more. Until he actually shows he can be consistent enough over a full grand tour I won't believe he is capable of winning one.

HOVE EAGLE
26-06-2017, 12:33 PM
I've had a go
Not a clue but hey go team merx
Wish I'd thought of a Dutch name now��

singapore eagle
26-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Cav gets the nod from Dimension Data.

GreatGonzo
26-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Cav gets the nod from Dimension Data.

Gone for the huge gamble of putting him in my team.

He might not be 100% but if they didn't think he could contest the sprint and win stages i don't think they would have included him.

On top form he wins a stage or two, including him probably adds some competition to the sprints.

kabbott
27-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Good effort so far with almost 30 teams in:

0 points
If only...
Shep

0 points
Jaserob
Jason Hughes

0 points
Team Tousart
kabbott

0 points
the wookies
Mark

0 points
Un Sang Impur
Forza Selhurst

0 points
Steve Sugg

0 points
Fozzie`s Flyers
Stephen Foss

0 points
Zoot Allures
Lucky Old Gladys

0 points
OPH
3 Beers at HT

0 points
A Vicious Cycle
furzy85

0 points
Deliveroo Poorcycling
Captain Pizza

0 points
JamTheEagle
Sam Johnson

0 points
Born Toulouse
James Webb

0 points
Team Ground
lseagle

0 points
Big Dogs
Newts G

0 points
Astannard
Graham Carter

0 points
Finbar`s Fury
Finbar

0 points
Cycling Sharks 8
Dave Mc

0 points
Teammerx
MERXMAN

0 points
Une Lutte Prolongee

0 points
Perky Legends
Martyn Perkins

0 points
OldAgePedallers
Ruskin Old Boy

0 points
Excowboy

0 points
Wiggos Rear Derailleur
Paul

0 points
Sweetus Mimsyus
Sweet Mimsy

0 points
Wheely Good Team
Chris Giggs

singapore eagle
27-06-2017, 11:53 AM
All teams have now declared their riders:

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_de_France_2017_Startlist

Velogamers may want to check against the final list; there were a few notable names that didn't make the final cut (e.g. Coquard).

meee
27-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Quintana is the big question mark.His time trialling was obviously exposed by Dumoulin at the Giro but there isn't much in the way of time trialling here.He has showed that he is the best at recovering over the last few years which makes him a contender here,unlike Nibali and Pinot who will almost certainly not be riding for GC after the Giro.Porte looks good but as others have said is iffy,Froome doesn't look as good as he was,Fuglsang looks like he could spring a surprise and maybe have his best GT yet,Aru looks to be going pretty well,Contador has done nothing but finish behind Valverde all year and I don't think Valverde will be close to the podium this time.Bardet has been solid like Aru.Who knows?

kabbott
27-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Here we go (Beefy's mate! :rolleyes:)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andre-cardoso-tests-positive-for-epo/

pauldrulez
27-06-2017, 07:55 PM
In. CPFCPatriots.

Can't wait for it to start and to try and win some decent money again!

ardeo
27-06-2017, 09:11 PM
I'm in, already changed my team once, probably will do it again before Saturday.

lanepe
27-06-2017, 09:26 PM
I iz in dis ting

gjohnk
29-06-2017, 11:40 AM
I'm in.
Not keen on my team though. Might swap them all by the weekend!

weltklasse
29-06-2017, 12:10 PM
EPOalltheway are in!

READING EAGLE
29-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Reading Racers are in

singapore eagle
29-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Velogames tinkerers may wish to pore over The Inner Ring's stage-by-stage guide. Reading this really brings home how few full-on mountain stages there are.

http://inrng.com/tour/

furzy85
29-06-2017, 02:31 PM
ive already completely revamped my team 3 times in the last two days for no real reason. no way am i going to do so again on the basis of expert opinions and logic! :)

pauldrulez
29-06-2017, 06:15 PM
I've had Chaves in my mind for a run at KOM, but I'm doubtful they'll let him go off and get a huge amount of points.

25/1, someone talk me out of it.

My main bet is Aru each way.

kabbott
29-06-2017, 08:03 PM
Velogames tinkerers may wish to pore over The Inner Ring's stage-by-stage guide. Reading this really brings home how few full-on mountain stages there are.

http://inrng.com/tour/

True, but the gradients are lot steeper than we're used to on the TDF, plus there are some other lumpy stages which will not be so simple. I still hope Froome and his Sky team don't dominate proceedings 'cos we'll have a much more open race.

JamTheEagle
29-06-2017, 08:43 PM
I've had Chaves in my mind for a run at KOM, but I'm doubtful they'll let him go off and get a huge amount of points.

What price Aru?

Think he may well pick a stage or two but he hasn't ridden much since March and I doubt he has the stamina to last 3 weeks in a GC battle.

I hope some of these outside contenders can step up and make it exciting.

pauldrulez
29-06-2017, 08:47 PM
What price Aru?

Think he may well pick a stage or two but he hasn't ridden much since March and I doubt he has the stamina to last 3 weeks in a GC battle.

I hope some of these outside contenders can step up and make it exciting.

You could get 100/1 pre-Dauphine, but he's down to around the 16-25 mark dependent on odds and each way terms.

I can't have Porte, and I wouldn't touch Froome at the current price.

I've had a small amount on Dan Martin at a silly price, because I'd be kicking myself otherwise.

De Gendt is another punt to nothing on the KOM.

JamTheEagle
30-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Changed my team around for the first time...

JamTheEagle
30-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Got some of my cycling friends from work to join in as well so that should boost the numbers up even more.

THB
30-06-2017, 09:25 AM

Chavez from last year fully fit and race ready, yes. At the moment, I doubt it. That's why they are hedging their bets with Yates presumably taking a run at the white jersey

meee
30-06-2017, 09:40 AM
You could get 100/1 pre-Dauphine, but he's down to around the 16-25 mark dependent on odds and each way terms.

I can't have Porte, and I wouldn't touch Froome at the current price.

I've had a small amount on Dan Martin at a silly price, because I'd be kicking myself otherwise.

De Gendt is another punt to nothing on the KOM.

I was looking at Aru each way.100/1 was always a ridiculously high price and I wish I'd seen it earlier.

robcmitchell
30-06-2017, 11:26 AM
I'm in.

chelmsfordeagle
30-06-2017, 11:58 AM
i'm in. team name the wookies

kabbott
30-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Almost 40 in with a day to go still!

0 points
Zoot Allures
Lucky Old Gladys

0 points
Reading Racers
Derek Ady

0 points
OPH
3 Beers at HT

0 points
A Vicious Cycle
furzy85

0 points
Deliveroo Poorcycling
Captain Pizza

0 points
Pulling Over For A Piss
Sam Johnson

0 points
Ardeo`s Unicyclists
Tom Olney

0 points
Born Toulouse
James Webb

0 points
Team Ground
lseagle

0 points
Canonbury Climbers
Jonathan Dobson

0 points
Big Dogs
Newts G

0 points
Astannard
Graham Carter

0 points
Finbar`s Fury
Finbar

0 points
Cycling Sharks 8
Dave Mc

0 points
lanepe`s losers
Peter Lane

0 points
Teammerx
MERXMAN

0 points
Une Lutte Prolongee

0 points
Penge Peddlars
GTR

0 points
Perky Legends
Martyn Perkins

0 points
meee
meee

0 points
OldAgePedallers
Ruskin Old Boy

0 points
Excowboy

0 points
Team FDB
gjohnk

0 points
Wiggos Rear Derailleur
Paul

0 points
Sweetus Mimsyus
Sweet Mimsy

0 points
Team Belgrave
singapore eagle

0 points
Wheely Good Team
Chris Giggs

0 points
CPFCPatriots
Paul D

0 points
If only...
Shep

0 points
Jaserob
Jason Hughes

0 points
EPOalltheway
Weltklasse

0 points
Team Tousart
kabbott

0 points
the wookies
Mark

0 points
Un Sang Impur
Forza Selhurst

0 points
Down Hill From Here
Rob Mitchell

0 points
Steve Sugg

0 points
Spunky`s Superstars
Duncan Inglis

0 points
Fozzie`s Flyers
Stephen Foss

FORZA SELHURST
30-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Just got round to having a tinker. Most of the riders I want to pick seem to be in the climbers section.

kabbott
30-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Just got round to having a tinker. Most of the riders I want to pick seem to be in the climbers section.

Good point! Some of the climbers are for me all-rounders, and some of the all-rounders are climbers or even no more than "top-of-the-range" domestiques. If you don't go for the expensive all-rounders, there's not much else to choose from. I can't see any cheeky 4-pointers of note either!

FORZA SELHURST
30-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Yep, how on earth is Fuglsang not an all-rounder? BTW, I see they've put Thierry Adam on a motorbike for the tour - https://www.lequipe.fr/Medias/Actualites/Qui-commente-le-tour-de-france-2017-sur-france-televisions-et-eurosport/814663 - better have special wide tyres.

kabbott
30-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Yep, how on earth is Fuglsang not an all-rounder? BTW, I see they've put Thierry Adam on a motorbike for the tour - https://www.lequipe.fr/Medias/Actualites/Qui-commente-le-tour-de-france-2017-sur-france-televisions-et-eurosport/814663 - better have special wide tyres.

Thierry Adam had some motorbike practice during the Dolphin, I think.
France Télévision have nicked Alexandre Pasteur from Eurosport for the commentary and Mme Gallopin (Marion Rousse, ex-cyclist and French champion in 2012) for her :cough: punditry! She's actually very good!

kabbott
30-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Monsieur et Madame Gallopin!

http://cdn1-lejdd.ladmedia.fr/var/europe1/storage/images/lejdd/sport/cyclisme/tony-gallopin-et-marion-rousse-la-vie-en-tandem-740814/37385039-2-fre-FR/Tony-Gallopin-et-Marion-Rousse-la-vie-en-tandem.jpg

Palestinian
30-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Really looking forward to this, feel that there will be some surprises on the podium in Paris.

I have spent far too much time tinkering with my team and have persuaded myself that it is the finest Velogames team that I have entered since the Alan Lees were in their prime. Against this anyone who bases a team around Ritchie Porte getting to Paris without at least one catastrophic day is probably somewhat deluded.

Captain Pizza
30-06-2017, 09:18 PM
I've had at least six tinkers. Ended up with a 'no one who rode the giro, and no froome, porte or quintana' strategy.

FourtyTwo
30-06-2017, 10:04 PM
Tour de Yorkshire entered!

Spent so much on Froome and Sagan, rest are not the best ;)

charltonhater
30-06-2017, 10:13 PM
In the end I decided not to tinker at all, stick with my initial selection. I expect by Tuesday I'll be seriously annoyed I didn't put Sagan in.

ardeo
01-07-2017, 05:32 AM
First time i've left the big hitters out, actually nice to have a balanced team rather than some random 4 pointers who don't get any points for carrying water. Will just make it more disappointing when the 8 pointers end up doing nothing anyway.

singapore eagle
01-07-2017, 05:43 AM
First time i've left the big hitters out, actually nice to have a balanced team rather than some random 4 pointers who don't get any points for carrying water. Will just make it more disappointing when the 8 pointers end up doing nothing anyway.

I'm going the other way, I think. I keep oscillating between a team with Sagan and a team without Sagan.

ardeo
01-07-2017, 05:47 AM
I'm going the other way, I think. I keep oscillating between a team with Sagan and a team without Sagan.

Sorry, I meant no GC big hitters, Froome, Quintana etc. Of course i've gone for Sagan! :p

singapore eagle
01-07-2017, 05:49 AM
I hope kabbott doesn't mind if I put up the stage preview. Here is the course - a fairly simple 14km individual time trial. The first rider goes off at 3.15pm German time, then it's at 1-minute intervals until Froome at 6.32pm.

http://www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2017/100/PROFIL.png

http://www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2017/100/CARTE.jpg

Little Fozzie
01-07-2017, 07:21 AM
First time I've ever picked sagan for the tour, so i fully expect him to fall off on the first corner today and not get up

GreatGonzo
01-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Think this year has been the hardest to pick. Not totally happy with my team but hopefully there are a few stage wins in there or top 3 finishes which is what score you the points.

kabbott
01-07-2017, 10:36 AM
I've just changed 3 of my team! Roll on 15:00 CEST (Central European Summer Time)!

Some final thoughts concerning some of the non-favourites:

Orica? Chaves? 1st TDF. Is he fit? He didn't look it in the Dolphin. Or is he going to ride into form?
Simon Yates? Will he do as well as his brother last year?
Astana? Will they try and do the double-whammy that worked so well in the Dolphin? Which one do you pick? Or both? Or neither? Aru seems to be getting quite a a few mentions in the lead-up to the start of the race. Will Fuglsang carry his great Dolphin form into the Tour?
Will Majka just go for the KOM jersey or will he be more interested in the GC?
Daniel Martin says the parcours is better suited to him this year than last year when he finished 9th.
If Froome fell off his bike this afternoon and had to pull out, would Landa become one of the favourites?
Is Louis Meintjes worth a punt? He wasn't too bad in the Dolphin.
What about Primož Roglic? Could he be one of the surprise packages?
Bardet? Good last year, so in typical French inconsistant fashion, crap this year?

kabbott
01-07-2017, 10:37 AM
First time I've ever picked sagan for the tour, so i fully expect him to fall off on the first corner today and not get up

No, it'll end in tears for Porte (he says hopefully)!

GreatGonzo
01-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Stage 5 I think it is will be interesting. If Sky attack it and Froome is in yellow early they tend to shut the race down and the breaks will get more chance. The more SKY have to chase the race I think the better the GC battle will be.

GreatGonzo
01-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Think Sagan will have a much harder challenge for green this year. Not many sprint stages that the fast men will not get to contest from what I can see. Only a couple where he should be able to drop them and be favourite. If someone like Kittel can dominate the flat stages and Sagan struggles to get in top 5 it should be pretty close. Or am having just scratching around trying to make it interesting?

singapore eagle
01-07-2017, 11:00 AM
I've just changed 3 of my team! Roll on 15:00 CEST (Central European Summer Time)!

Some final thoughts concerning some of the non-favourites:

Orica? Chaves? 1st TDF. Is he fit? He didn't look it in the Dolphin. Or is he going to ride into form?
Simon Yates? Will he do as well as his brother last year?
Astana? Will they try and do the double-whammy that worked so well in the Dolphin? Which one do you pick? Or both? Or neither? Aru seems to be getting quite a a few mentions in the lead-up to the start of the race. Will Fuglsang carry his great Dolphin form into the Tour?
Will Majka just go for the KOM jersey or will he be more interested in the GC?
Daniel Martin says the parcours is better suited to him this year than last year when he finished 9th.
If Froome fell off his bike this afternoon and had to pull out, would Landa become one of the favourites?
Is Louis Meintjes worth a punt? He wasn't too bad in the Dolphin.
What about Primož Roglic? Could he be one of the surprise packages?
Bardet? Good last year, so in typical French inconsistant fashion, crap this year?

Some good analysis there. A few more:

- Has Geraint Thomas still got his giro legs? If Froome fell off his bike this afternoon and had to pull out, would he become a contender?
- Is Cav there just to give his sponsor some exposure or does he have a realistic chance in the early sprints?
- Will one of the sprinters rack up 5 or 6 wins or will the spoils be shared around?
- Can Cummings pull off one of his smash and grab raids?
- Who will be the new breakout names in this Tour? Groenewegen in the sprints? Maybe Latour or Buchmann in GC?

Most of all, is the race going to be won in the TTs or going up the mountains, like usual, or is there going to be a decisive descent, break or split somewhere along the way?

kabbott
01-07-2017, 11:37 AM
Some good analysis there. A few more:

- Has Geraint Thomas still got his giro legs? If Froome fell off his bike this afternoon and had to pull out, would he become a contender?
- Is Cav there just to give his sponsor some exposure or does he have a realistic chance in the early sprints?
- Will one of the sprinters rack up 5 or 6 wins or will the spoils be shared around?
- Can Cummings pull off one of his smash and grab raids?
- Who will be the new breakout names in this Tour? Groenewegen in the sprints? Maybe Latour or Buchmann in GC?

Most of all, is the race going to be won in the TTs or going up the mountains, like usual, or is there going to be a decisive descent, break or split somewhere along the way?

I was gutted for Thomas (and Yates for that matter) in the Giro, not just because they were in my Velogames team :rolleyes: but because I thought they were both potential GC top 5 material. I do think though that the climbs will suit Landa more than they will Thomas.
Sagan to get the most sprints though the victories now tend to be shared around. Kittel is the only sprinter with a "proper" train though he never seems to last long in the TDF. IMO Cav has had it, but you never know with him. Démare is certainly showing some form but he tends to bottle it in the TDF with all the preesure on his shoulders. Bouhanni will probably crash and take out a few decent sprinters (not mine, I hope!). As GG said there are fewer sprints which suit Sagan, but he's shown this season that he can outsmart them all when the chips are down.
Cummings is definitely one of those riders who could win a stage in a break.
Groenewegen is definitely one who could spring a surprise in the sprints and he's not too expensive either.
I've had both Latour and Buchmann in Tour teams last year.
I like Latour a lot. He's a great attacking rider and one who never gives up. His job this year will be to look after Bardet so I'm not sure who much freedom he'll have to go stage-hunting. And the same goes for Buchmann to a certain extent. If Majka goes for the KOM, Buchmann can hope for a top-10 finish in the GC. If Majka goes for the GC, Buchmann might have more work to do for Majka.

I'm seriously looking forward to Stage 9 which is going to kill off a few riders' chances methinks.

kabbott
01-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Too late now! I make that 44 teams! Good effort!

0 points
Finbar`s Fury
Finbar

0 points
Cycling Sharks 8
Dave Mc

0 points
Wiggo`s levelled playing field
Kemper

0 points
lanepe`s losers
Peter Lane

0 points
Teammerx
MERXMAN

0 points
Une Lutte Prolongee

0 points
Perky Legends
Martyn Perkins

0 points
Penge Peddlars
GTR

0 points
meee
meee

0 points
OldAgePedallers
Ruskin Old Boy

0 points
Excowboy

0 points
Can`tgetusedtocleats
Geoffrey johnson

0 points
Team FDB
gjohnk

0 points
Wiggos Rear Derailleur
Paul

0 points
Sweetus Mimsyus
Sweet Mimsy

0 points
Wheely Good Team
Chris Giggs

0 points
Team Belgrave
singapore eagle

0 points
CPFCPatriots
Paul D

0 points
If only...
Shep

0 points
Jaserob
Jason Hughes

0 points
Tour de Yorkshire
Oliver Bryden

0 points
Team Tousart
kabbott

0 points
EPOalltheway
Weltklasse

0 points
the wookies
Mark

0 points
Un Sang Impur
Forza Selhurst

0 points
Steve Sugg

0 points
Down Hill From Here
Rob Mitchell

0 points
Spunky`s Superstars
Duncan Inglis

0 points
Fozzie`s Flyers
Stephen Foss

0 points
Zoot Allures
Lucky Old Gladys

0 points
Sore Ringer
England

0 points
OPH
3 Beers at HT

0 points
Reading Racers
Derek Ady

0 points
A Vicious Cycle
furzy85

0 points
Deliveroo Poorcycling
Captain Pizza

0 points
Pulling Over For A Piss
Sam Johnson

0 points
Biscuit Project
Biscuitboffin.

0 points
Ardeo`s Unicyclists
Tom Olney

0 points
Born Toulouse
James Webb

0 points
Team Ground
lseagle

0 points
Ghost Riders
wookiee

0 points
Big Dogs
Newts G

0 points
Canonbury Climbers
Jonathan Dobson

0 points
Astannard
Graham Carter

kabbott
01-07-2017, 01:55 PM
So here are some I didn't pick among the "cheapoes" that will probably do well:
Frederik Backaert (4)
Elie Gesbert (4)
Laurent Pichon (4)
Tiesj Benoot (6)
Alberto Bettiol (6)
Lilian Calmejane (6)

singapore eagle
01-07-2017, 02:03 PM
Oliver Naesen (6) was the one that I really wished I could fit into my team, but couldn't.

singapore eagle
01-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Anyway, looking at the TV it's very wet in Dusseldorf. Groenewegen has just come a cropper.

kabbott
01-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Anyway, looking at the TV it's very wet in Dusseldorf. Groenewegen has just come a cropper.

Yes, and guess who I have in my team? :frown: I hope he's OK! :p

kabbott
01-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Rick Zabel down too! Guess who I have in my team? :D

Flat Noodle
01-07-2017, 03:00 PM
Got a small bet on Kiryienka @ $41 each way (top 3 pay 1/4)!

Here's to hoping his time of 16'11" is good enough to hang on with the weather causing all sorts!

Palestinian
01-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Valverde looks to have crashed out, bad slide and smash into barriers

Adlerhorst
01-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Valverde looks like he's done his collarbone

kabbott
01-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Poor Valverde!
Porte's taken no chances.
The Sky team looks strong.

JamTheEagle
01-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Top ride from GT. Super effort from Froome too if he was being a bit careful.

Could have a decent lead after week 1.

3 Beers at HT
01-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Valverde or Contador?
Valverde or Contador?
Valverde or Contador?

Valverde.

FFS :veryangry :rolleyes:

Flat Noodle
01-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Got a small bet on Kiryienka @ $41 each way (top 3 pay 1/4)!

Here's to hoping his time of 16'11" is good enough to hang on with the weather causing all sorts!

Just hung on to 3rd! A collect and good start to TdF!! :D

Shame about Valverde, fractured shin I heard. That should be it also to Quintana as well, sadly.

Team Sky does look ridiculously strong already even only after 1st day ITT, gonna take some beating. Gonna need something super special from the other GC contenders to stop Froome this year.

3 Beers at HT
01-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Ion Izaguirre (Bahrain-Merida) abandoned as well.....

Little Fozzie
01-07-2017, 06:12 PM
FFS

GreatGonzo
01-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Ion Izaguirre (Bahrain-Merida) abandoned as well.....

My tweak removed him and went with roglic who I had hoped would do better today.

My team is in but couldn't add it to mini league on my phone abroad so hope I can add it in tomorrow when home.

JamTheEagle
01-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Why the **** was Coquard available for selection if he isn't even under contract with a team?

FORZA SELHURST
01-07-2017, 08:22 PM
My tweak removed him and went with roglic who I had hoped would do better today.

My team is in but couldn't add it to mini league on my phone abroad so hope I can add it in tomorrow when home.

Roglic also crashed but wasn't too far down so probably not too bad. I had both him and Izagirre in my team so not looking good for me.

3 Beers at HT
01-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Stage 1 Results:

GBR 1 THOMAS, Geraint (SKY) 16:04
SUI 2 KÜNG, Stefan (BMC RACING) + 5
BLR 3 KIRYIENKA, Vasil (SKY) + 7
GER 4 MARTIN, Tony (KATUSHA ALPECIN) + 8
ITA 5 TRENTIN, Matteo (QUICK - STEP FLOORS) + 10
GBR 6 FROOME, Christopher (SKY) + 12
NED 7 VAN EMDEN, Jos (LOTTO NL - JUMBO) + 15
POL 8 KWIATKOWSKI, Michal (SKY)
GER 9 KITTEL, Marcel (QUICK - STEP FLOORS) + 16
NOR 10 BOASSON HAGEN, Edvald (DIMENSION DATA)
GER 11 ARNDT, Nikias (SUNWEB)
USA 12 PHINNEY, Taylor (CANNONDALE DRAPAC) + 17
UKR 13 GRIVKO, Andrey (ASTANA)
RSA 14 IMPEY, Daryl (ORICA - SCOTT) + 19
ESP 15 CASTROVIEJO, Jonathan (MOVISTAR) + 20
AUS 16 MATTHEWS, Michael (SUNWEB)
FRA 17 LATOUR, Pierre Roger (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 25
SVK 18 SAGAN, Peter (BORA - HANSGROHE)
CRC 19 AMADOR BIKKAZAKOVA, Andrey (MOVISTAR) + 27
KAZ 20 LUTSENKO, Alexey (ASTANA) + 29

3 Beers at HT
01-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Velogames after Stage 1:

240 points
Team Ground
lseagle

240 points
lanepe`s losers
Peter Lane

230 points
Can`tgetusedtocleats
Geoffrey johnson

200 points
Ardeo`s Unicyclists
Tom Olney

200 points
Canonbury Climbers
Jonathan Dobson

200 points
EPOalltheway
Weltklasse

180 points
Team FDB
gjohnk

170 points
CPFCPatriots
Paul D

160 points
Biscuit Project
Biscuitboffin.

160 points
Teammerx
MERXMAN

120 points
Steve Sugg

120 points
Down Hill From Here
Rob Mitchell

110 points
OPH
3 Beers at HT

100 points
Un Sang Impur
Forza Selhurst

100 points
Finbar`s Fury
Finbar

100 points
Sweetus Mimsyus
Sweet Mimsy

100 points
If only...
Shep

70 points
Sore Ringer
England

70 points
Reading Racers
Derek Ady

70 points
Pulling Over For A Piss
Sam Johnson

70 points
Ghost Riders
wookiee

70 points
Big Dogs
Newts G

70 points
OldAgePedallers
Ruskin Old Boy

70 points
Wheely Good Team
Chris Giggs

70 points
Jaserob
Jason Hughes

70 points
Tour de Yorkshire
Oliver Bryden

40 points
Spunky`s Superstars
Duncan Inglis

40 points
Excowboy

5 points
Une Lutte Prolongee

5 points
meee
meee

0 points
Fozzie`s Flyers
Stephen Foss

0 points
Zoot Allures
Lucky Old Gladys

0 points
A Vicious Cycle
furzy85

0 points
Deliveroo Poorcycling
Captain Pizza

0 points
Born Toulouse
James Webb

0 points
Astannard
Graham Carter

0 points
Cycling Sharks 8
Dave Mc

0 points
Kemper

0 points
Perky Legends
Martyn Perkins

0 points
Penge Peddlars
GTR

0 points
Wiggos Rear Derailleur
Paul

0 points
Team Belgrave
singapore eagle

0 points
Team Tousart
kabbott

0 points
the wookies

GreatGonzo
01-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Just managed to get my team into the league. :) only 1 way for me to go now and I suspect that will be the case.

Adlerhorst
01-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Apparently he's broken his knee cap. That sounds horriffic

Palestinian
01-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Why the **** was Coquard available for selection if he isn't even under contract with a team?

He was in the initial list, which is to some degree guesswork but was left out - seemingly because looking for a different team for 2018. I noticed on Thursday and ended up changing 5 riders as an indirect result. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/coquard-angry-at-bernaudeau-who-defends-tour-de-france-snub-as-sporting-decision/

Palestinian
01-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Apparently he's broken his knee cap. That sounds horriffic
Horrible crash - seemed to be throwing caution to wind, guess to put him in contention to be Movistar leader if, and probably when, Quintana cracks.

singapore eagle
02-07-2017, 12:16 AM
Spare a thought for the Cycling Sharks (charltonhater?) who bear the misfortune of losing both Valverde and Izagirre. In truth, all of us who picked either of them are probably now toast :sob:

singapore eagle
02-07-2017, 09:09 AM
This is stage 2. One for the sprinters, unless the wind gets up.

http://www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2017/200/PROFIL.png

charltonhater
02-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Spare a thought for the Cycling Sharks (charltonhater?) who bear the misfortune of losing both Valverde and Izagirre. In truth, all of us who picked either of them are probably now toast :sob:

:sob:

Valverde was the first name I picked as he's always been reliable until now.

First time I've not had Thomas in my team as well. Oops

biggus mickus
02-07-2017, 10:13 AM
:sob:

Valverde was the first name I picked as he's always been reliable until now.

First time I've not had Thomas in my team as well. Oops

Lucky in love?:supergrin:

lanepe
02-07-2017, 10:41 AM
My lovely wife Catherine (Catty on BBS) has entered into this league today and has gone straight into first place.

Team Sagorama - 300 points after day one.

biggus mickus
02-07-2017, 10:51 AM
My lovely wife Catherine (Catty on BBS) has entered into this league today and has gone straight into first place.

Team Sagorama - 300 points after day one.

Crafty moo. Send my regards mate.

biggus mickus
02-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Why are Sky riding in white please someone?

Well today, in white, green and yellow.:D

lanepe
02-07-2017, 11:31 AM
Why are Sky riding in white please someone?

Well today, in white, green and yellow.:D

It's Sky's new kit. So not a one off thing. White is the new fashionable colour with several teams coming out with new white kits.

Personally I prefer the black.

They're wearing yellow helmets because they lead the team points competition.

lanepe
02-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Crafty moo. Send my regards mate.

I've done so. She sends her love.

kabbott
02-07-2017, 01:02 PM
14 Velogames teams scored 0 points yesterday. That must be some kind of record. I think about 15,000 out of the 50,000 Velogamers in the world are also stuck on 0.
Bad day at the office for Tony Gallopin who not only had a bad crash but learned that his house (and car) was burgled too.
Luke Durbridge has also abandoned today.

Little Fozzie
02-07-2017, 01:20 PM
It annoys me when mountain stages are wasted. Was just flicking through the stage profiles, and stages 13, 15, and arguably 17 all look like a waste of time seeing as the climbs top out so far from the finish.

biggus mickus
02-07-2017, 02:22 PM
They were talking about this earlier. Its to try and open the race up. Not just for climbers. Short time trial, lack of mountain finishes. Its not set up for Froome, they say.
Thanks about the white kit. They just explained it on tv.:wallbash:

meee
02-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Froome down. Possibly Bardet?

kabbott
02-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Froome down. Possibly Bardet?

Yes. They seem to have got back to the peloton. They all went down quite hard.

JamTheEagle
02-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Monumental **** up if the Peloton don't close this down.

JamTheEagle
02-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Top sprinting that from Kittel. He had no team there and has done that donkey work himself.

meee
02-07-2017, 03:13 PM
I predicted that 1-2. Aru 9th?!

JamTheEagle
02-07-2017, 03:18 PM
I predicted that 1-2. Aru 9th?!
Graphic was wrong. Matthews was 9th

biggus mickus
02-07-2017, 03:40 PM
For a boring stage on paper, it was quite boring.

kabbott
02-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Tomorrow's stage will be better.

kabbott
02-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Stage 2 Results

1 KITTEL, Marcel (QST) 4:37:06
2 DEMARE, Arnaud (FDJ)
3 GREIPEL, André (LTS)
4 CAVENDISH, Mark (DDD)
5 GROENEWEGEN, Dylan (TLJ)
6 COLBRELLI, Sonny (TBM)
7 SWIFT, Ben (UAD)
8 BOUHANNI, Nacer (COF)
9 MATTHEWS, Michael (SUN)
10 SAGAN, Peter (BOH)
11 PASQUALON, Andrea (WGG)
12 VANSPEYBROUCK, Pieter (WGG)
13 DEGENKOLB, John (TFS)
14 MCLAY, Daniel (FVC)
15 KRISTOFF, Alexander (KAT)
16 TRENTIN, Matteo (QST)
17 SMITH, Dion (WGG)
18 TULIK, Angelo (DEN)
19 BOASSON HAGEN, Edvald (DDD)
20 LUTSENKO, Alexey (AST)

General Classification after Stage 2

1 THOMAS, Geraint (SKY) 4:53:10
2 KÜNG, Stefan (BMC) + 5
3 KITTEL, Marcel (QST) + 6
4 KIRYIENKA, Vasil (SKY) + 7
5 TRENTIN, Matteo (QST) + 10
6 FROOME, Christopher (SKY) + 12
7 VAN EMDEN, Jos (TLJ) + 15
8 KWIATKOWSKI, Michal (SKY)
9 BOASSON HAGEN, Edvald (DDD) + 16
10 ARNDT, Nikias (SUN)

kabbott
02-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Velogames:

657 points
Route Rouge et Bleu
Mark

574 points
Team Ground
lseagle

500 points
lanepe`s losers
Peter Lane

469 points
Teammerx
MERXMAN

463 points
OPH
3 Beers at HT

459 points
Biscuit Project
Biscuitboffin.

398 points
Sagorama
catherine

383 points
EPOalltheway
Weltklasse

376 points
Reading Racers
Derek Ady

353 points
Ghost Riders
wookiee

345 points
Can`tgetusedtocleats
Geoffrey johnson

325 points
Canonbury Climbers
Jonathan Dobson

317 points
Spunky`s Superstars
Duncan Inglis

303 points
Excowboy

290 points
Down Hill From Here
Rob Mitchell

284 points
Sweetus Mimsyus
Sweet Mimsy

276 points
Ardeo`s Unicyclists
Tom Olney

275 points
CPFCPatriots
Paul D

274 points
Steve Sugg

266 points
Team FDB
gjohnk

264 points
Wheely Good Team
Chris Giggs

261 points
OldAgePedallers
Ruskin Old Boy

240 points
If only...
Shep

231 points
Big Dogs
Newts G

226 points
Une Lutte Prolongee

224 points
Finbar`s Fury
Finbar

207 points
Wiggos Rear Derailleur
Paul

188 points
meee
meee

181 points
Tour de Yorkshire
Oliver Bryden

176 points
Un Sang Impur
Forza Selhurst

168 points
Jaserob
Jason Hughes

163 points
Penge Peddlars
GTR

158 points
Team Belgrave
singapore eagle

158 points
Sore Ringer
England

129 points
Pulling Over For A Piss
Sam Johnson

118 points
Zoot Allures
Lucky Old Gladys

116 points
Team Tousart
kabbott

114 points
the wookies
Mark

108 points
A Vicious Cycle
furzy85

107 points
Deliveroo Poorcycling
Captain Pizza

90 points
Astannard
Graham Carter

82 points
Cycling Sharks 8
Dave Mc

78 points
Fozzie`s Flyers
Stephen Foss

78 points
Perky Legends
Martyn Perkins

55 points
Born Toulouse
James Webb

44 points
Kemper

LSEagle
02-07-2017, 05:31 PM
Second place likely to be my high watermark I think

GJN
02-07-2017, 06:13 PM
By neutralising the course they are just making it easy for Froome to keep yellow once he gets it. If they want an open race, loads of mountain top finishes, a long mountain ITT, and a stage full of cobbles should do the trick.
A few stages that are prone to crosswinds as well.

Kai
02-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Froome will win it and it will be quite as uninteresting as it has the last few years.

Little Fozzie
02-07-2017, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure. Froome wasn't exactly cautious yesterday, which makes me think he might be worried about his climbing form, so needed to put some seconds in the bank before the mountains

GreatGonzo
02-07-2017, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure. Froome wasn't exactly cautious yesterday, which makes me think he might be worried about his climbing form, so needed to put some seconds in the bank before the mountains

Wednesday will be the start of the GC race.

Tomorrow for a classics rider, maybe Kwiakowski to go for it? Sagan surely having a look. Then Tuesday should be a bunch sprint before the we see the GC boys on Wednesday.

stevek
02-07-2017, 07:51 PM
By neutralising the course they are just making it easy for Froome to keep yellow once he gets it. If they want an open race, loads of mountain top finishes, a long mountain ITT, and a stage full of cobbles should do the trick.
A few stages that are prone to crosswinds as well.

Of that list, only the cobbles would stop Froome.

I wouldn't wish it on Froome, but a bit of me would like something to happen to him and then have Thomas win it.

GJN
02-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Of that list, only the cobbles would stop Froome.

I wouldn't wish it on Froome, but a bit of me would like something to happen to him and then have Thomas win it.

I think this will be a boring race. Quintana doesn't have Valverde and will have to do all the work himself, which he never does. Unless they catch Sky cold at the start of a stage I don't see where the attacks will come from.

GreatGonzo
02-07-2017, 08:50 PM
I think this will be a boring race. Quintana doesn't have Valverde and will have to do all the work himself, which he never does. Unless they catch Sky cold at the start of a stage I don't see where the attacks will come from.

Without Nibali, and now without Valverde who is going to be the man to turn the race on its head with an attack?

I guess Aru could and Contador but neither have looked in great form to do so, will Bardet take risks?

Palestinian
02-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Without Nibali, and now without Valverde who is going to be the man to turn the race on its head with an attack?

I guess Aru could and Contador but neither have looked in great form to do so, will Bardet take risks?

That all assumes that Froome is in decent form, the Dolphiny suggested he might not be - I still think that there will be some real surprises this Tour.

kabbott
02-07-2017, 09:31 PM
Tomorrow's stage:

http://www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2017/300/PROFIL.png

Km 18.0 - Côte de Sart 2.8 km de montée à 5.1% - catégorie 4
Km 105.5 - Côte de Wiltz 3.1 km de montée à 4.8% - catégorie 4
Km 120.5 - Côte d'Eschdorf 2.3 km de montée à 9.3% - catégorie 3
Km 197.0 - Côte de Villers-la-Montagne 1.1 km de montée à 5.2% - catégorie 4
Km 212.5 - LONGWY - Côte des Religieuses 1.6 km de montée à 5.8% - catégorie 3

http://www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2017/300/PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Palestinian
02-07-2017, 09:31 PM
So good to see Cav in contention today, given his health problems I had expected the Tour to be a real struggle for him - hopefully he can ride himself into some real form during the race.

kabbott
02-07-2017, 09:36 PM

I actually believe Valverde's absence will be more a help than a hindrance. I've never found that he really rides to help Quintana. Now things will be clearer within the Movistar team. It'll be all for Quintana. They've good a good team of climbers, they've just got to get their tactics sorted out 'cos at the Giro their stategy was hopeless.
Astana with their two leaders are also capable of shaking things up.

Palestinian
02-07-2017, 09:45 PM
I actually believe Valverde's absence will be more a help than a hindrance. I've never found that he really rides to help Quintana. Now things will be clearer within the Movistar team. It'll be all for Quintana. They've good a good team of climbers, they've just got to get their tactics sorted out 'cos at the Giro theie stategy was hopeless.
Astana with their two leaders are also capable of shaking things up.
I think that's right, he was there for himself hoping for a shot at the podium if and, probably when Quintana cracks. If he was really there just as a super domestique he wouldn't have taken the risks he did yesterday. While I dislike the unrepentant doper, he is a great rider, I love watching him but I suspect we may have seen the last of him.

kabbott
02-07-2017, 09:47 PM
I think that's right, he was there for himself hoping for a shot at the podium if and, probably when Quintana cracks. If he was really there just as a super domestique he wouldn't have taken the risks he did yesterday. While I dislike the unrepentant doper, he is a great rider, I love watching him but I suspect we may have seen the last of him.

Can't disagree with any of that!

GJN
02-07-2017, 10:04 PM
The only thing about Froone is that he appears to weaken relative to his rivals as a tour goes on. If they make it a war of attrition every day he may crack eventually.

meee
02-07-2017, 10:09 PM
The only thing about Froone is that he appears to weaken relative to his rivals as a tour goes on. If they make it a war of attrition every day he may crack eventually.

Quintana is probably one of the best "recoverers" ever.It makes everyone else look poor.Froome is pretty strong over the course of 3 weeks.

Shep
02-07-2017, 10:14 PM

Might be they've changed his peak this year, so he holds onto form later in the tour and to have a crack at the Vuelta as well.

Adlerhorst
02-07-2017, 10:18 PM
That makes sense but Froome, in what he says and does, has always been about the tour. Four wins and he's up there in legendary status.

GreatGonzo
03-07-2017, 09:01 AM
So good to see Cav in contention today, given his health problems I had expected the Tour to be a real struggle for him - hopefully he can ride himself into some real form during the race.

Took the gamble on him for velogames on the basis DD would not have put him in if he was way short of form/fitness.

Am too hoping he can find that racing form over the first week or so. Think there is a big question over whether he can last the 3 weeks and get to Paris, would be an amazing achievement if he does.

JamTheEagle
03-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Hoping Matthews has a good day today.

JamTheEagle
03-07-2017, 12:01 PM

That's one way of looking at it.

I think he just saw it as an easy way of making time seeing as he is a far better TT than the other GC contenders.

FourtyTwo
03-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Mutterings / complaints about the jerseys Team Sky wore for the time trial apparently!

JamTheEagle
03-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Mutterings / complaints about the jerseys Team Sky wore for the time trial apparently!

Storm in a tea cup by the sounds of it. As Dave B said, they have been using it before so seems odd to only bring it up now.

Think it is sour grapes from other teams, clutching at excuses as to why they were comprehensively outridden.

Excowboy
03-07-2017, 03:41 PM
Seemed like Porte attacked in exactly the place Van Avaermat should've done, this depriving him of the victory and playing into Sagan's hands.

Webb
03-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Sagan isn't human.

kabbott
03-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Seemed like Porte attacked in exactly the place Van Avaermat should've done, this depriving him of the victory and playing into Sagan's hands.

TBF I think Porte was doing the job for Van Avaermat who just didn't have the legs to beat Sagan who seemed invincible today.

kabbott
03-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Stage 3 Results

1 SAGAN, Peter (BOH) 5:07:19
2 MATTHEWS, Michael (SUN)
3 MARTIN, Daniel (QST)
4 VAN AVERMAET, Greg (BMC)
5 BETTIOL, Alberto (CDT) + 2
6 DEMARE, Arnaud (FDJ)
7 FUGLSANG, Jakob (AST)
8 THOMAS, Geraint (SKY)
9 FROOME, Christopher (SKY)
10 MAJKA, Rafal (BOH)
11 QUINTANA, Nairo (MOV)
12 BARDET, Romain (ALM)
13 WELLENS, Tim (LTS)
14 PORTE, Richie (BMC)
15 BENOOT, Tiesj (LTS)
16 MARTIN, Guillaume (WGG)
17 ARU, Fabio (AST)
18 CONTADOR VELASCO, Alberto (TFS)
19 URAN URAN, Rigoberto (CDT)
20 CHAVES RUBIO, Jhoan Esteban (ORS)
21 LATOUR, Pierre Roger (ALM)
22 GILBERT, Philippe (QST)
23 BETANCUR GOMEZ, Carlos (MOV)
24 MEINTJES, Louis (UAD)
25 KREUZIGER, Roman (ORS)
26 LANDA MEANA, Mikel (SKY)
27 BOASSON HAGEN, Edvald (DDD)
28 BUCHMANN, Emanuel (BOH)
29 ULISSI, Diego (UAD)
30 CLARKE, Simon (CDT) + 10

General Classification after Stage 3

1 THOMAS, Geraint (SKY) 10:00:31
2 FROOME, Christopher (SKY) + 12
3 MATTHEWS, Michael (SUN)
4 SAGAN, Peter (BOH) + 13
5 BOASSON HAGEN, Edvald (DDD) + 16
6 LATOUR, Pierre Roger (ALM) + 25
7 GILBERT, Philippe (QST) + 30
8 KWIATKOWSKI, Michal (SKY) + 32
9 WELLENS, Tim (LTS)
10 ARNDT, Nikias (SUN) + 34

charltonhater
03-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Velogames:

970 points
Team Ground
lseagle

919 points
Can`tgetusedtocleats
Geoffrey johnson

898 points
Canonbury Climbers
Jonathan Dobson

807 points
Route Rouge et Bleu
Mark

764 points
Ardeo`s Unicyclists
Tom Olney

754 points
Sagorama
catherine

727 points
CPFCPatriots
Paul D

712 points
lanepe`s losers
Peter Lane

710 points
EPOalltheway
Weltklasse

674 points
Deliveroo Poorcycling
Captain Pizza

667 points
OldAgePedallers
Ruskin Old Boy

663 points
Wiggos Rear Derailleur
Paul

644 points
Tour de Yorkshire
Oliver Bryden

626 points
Teammerx
MERXMAN

621 points
Team FDB
gjohnk

603 points
Spunky`s Superstars
Duncan Inglis

580 points
Biscuit Project
Biscuitboffin.

574 points
Team Belgrave
singapore eagle

572 points
OPH
3 Beers at HT

568 points
Astannard
Graham Carter

553 points
Ghost Riders
wookiee

546 points
Steve Sugg

542 points
Excowboy

536 points
Jaserob
Jason Hughes

529 points
Sore Ringer
England

525 points
Un Sang Impur
Forza Selhurst

516 points
Finbar`s Fury
Finbar

516 points
If only...
Shep

515 points
Reading Racers
Derek Ady

513 points
Fozzie`s Flyers
Stephen Foss

494 points
Wheely Good Team
Chris Giggs

493 points
No Froome for Chris
James Murley

480 points
Penge Peddlars
GTR

479 points
Perky Legends
Martyn Perkins

477 points
Pulling Over For A Piss
Sam Johnson

476 points
A Vicious Cycle
furzy85

474 points
Down Hill From Here
Rob Mitchell

458 points
Big Dogs
Newts G

404 points
Born Toulouse
James Webb

403 points
Sweetus Mimsyus
Sweet Mimsy

377 points
Team Tousart
kabbott

369 points
Zoot Allures
Lucky Old Gladys

354 points
Une Lutte Prolongee

324 points
Kemper

307 points
meee
meee

288 points
Cycling Sharks 8
Dave Mc

272 points
the wookies
Mark

stevek
03-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Anyone else notice the spectator with the 'Wenger Out' banner. Bloody Arsenal fans.

LSEagle
03-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Good to be in Yellow, suspect GT has more chance of staying in it than my team though.

biggus mickus
03-07-2017, 08:55 PM

Porte had no support from BMC.

kabbott
04-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Today's stage:

http://www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2017/400/PROFIL.png

kabbott
04-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Mick, start watching from about a quarter to five!

GreatGonzo
04-07-2017, 08:17 AM
Surely it will be Kittel in Vittel?

JamTheEagle
04-07-2017, 08:51 AM
Surely it will be Kittel in Vittel?

Given how he won stage 2 I would think so.

stevek
04-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Cav :(

JamTheEagle
04-07-2017, 03:14 PM
That looked very nasty, hope Cav is OK but doesn't look great.

pauldrulez
04-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Horrible crash.

Looks awful on Sagan, but need to see the replays again

JamTheEagle
04-07-2017, 03:19 PM
He has thrown an elbow out there, Cav was going to pass him as well.

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Sagan is off Cav's Christmas card list. He pushed him, arm out. The overhead film gets it. Not a Cav fan, big headed twat. But that was iffy.

pauldrulez
Whatever grand plan it was that Kittel had, it was a terrible one. Team all over the road. Overconfidence from Stage 2?

JamTheEagle
No doubt there will be no punishment for Sagan.

biggus mickus
Horrible crash.

Looks awful on Sagan, but need to see the replays again

I have, bang to rights.

pauldrulez
04-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Sagan is off Cav's Christmas card list. He pushed him, arm out. The overhead film gets it. Not a Cav fan, big headed twat. But that was iffy.

Will be interesting to see the replay, ITV said Sagan was bollocking Greipel. Maybe he unbalanced him, because if not, it looks deliberate.

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 03:22 PM
Will be interesting to see the replay, ITV said Sagan was bollocking Greipel. Maybe he unbalanced him, because if not, it looks deliberate.

It looks bad in HD.:supergrin:

JamTheEagle
04-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Sorry, that is not a balancing elbow. It just isn't.

pauldrulez
04-07-2017, 03:29 PM
It looks awful in slow motion because his arm is poking out after Cav is on his way down.

I'll reserve judgment but I'm dubious.

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 03:29 PM
Sagan has gone to Cavs team. Fair play.

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Juan Antonio says it was unlucky. Sagan explaining now. He has said sorry to Cav.

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 03:32 PM
We need the FIA, Vettel and its in france.:angel::angel:

pauldrulez
04-07-2017, 03:35 PM
From one slow motion angle, does Cav catch Sagan's arm? Which makes it look like the 2nd elbow was purely correctional.

Any injuries mentioned in the first crash yet?

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 03:45 PM
No injuries reported. Cav to hospital for checks.

GreatGonzo
04-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Will be interesting to see what happens to Sagan.

Deliberate elbow should be a straight red card! :D

Adlerhorst
04-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Head butts are disqualifications iirc (Renshaw) so fail to see how intentional elbows aren't.

Though maybe there are different rules for marketing reasons

GreatGonzo
04-07-2017, 03:51 PM
DiDate calling for a disqualification.

TdF probably don't want to send home one of their big draws though.

If they leave Sagan in does that mean elbows are ok cos that would make the rest of the TdF pretty exciting.

Sod riding away from you rivals, 1 well placed elbow to put him to the ground and just keep riding lol

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Head butts are disqualifications iirc (Renshaw) so fail to see how intentional elbows aren't.

Though maybe there are different rules for marketing reasons

True, world champion.

Adlerhorst
04-07-2017, 03:53 PM
True, world champion.

It's not just that. He is by far the most marketable cyclist. By miles and miles.

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Will be interesting to see what happens to Sagan.

Deliberate elbow should be a straight red card! :D

They wont disqualify the world champion. Put him down a few places maybe.

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 03:58 PM
Anyway. Tomorrow, mountains, attacks, racing.

GreatGonzo
04-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Docked 30 seconds - outrageous!

GreatGonzo
04-07-2017, 04:04 PM
Lots of complaints from various teams. Lots of ex pros saying he has to be disqualified having seen replays.

Losing the world champion is 1 thing they won't want to to.

It might take 3 or 4 teams to pull out to give TdF a bigger headache!

BOYCOTT!

maestro
04-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Docked 30 seconds - outrageous!

lol, wow I bet he is worried about that

charltonhater
04-07-2017, 04:36 PM
What nonsense.
Surely a rider clearly going for the Points Jersey should be docked points not time?

If Froome did the same would they deduct him points instead of time?

Captain Pizza
04-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Sagan disqualified

Captain Pizza
04-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Have to say I though sagan was just trying to maintain his balance after greipel wobbled and cav was going for an impossible hole. But with sagan in my velogames team I would think that, wouldn't I!

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Sagan disqualified

What?

Captain Pizza
04-07-2017, 05:12 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/peter-sagan-disqualified-from-tour-de-france/

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Oh dear.

pauldrulez
04-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Harsh. Very harsh.

Should've taken a bit longer for that decision.

Racing incident at that speed, it just doesn't look good.

When they come out from under the tree, it almost looks like Cav makes contact first due to Sagan taking the wrong path

GreatGonzo
04-07-2017, 05:29 PM
The original punishment was pretty severe which means he did something wrong. If it was just a racing incident then there should have been little or no punishment.

The only thing you can say he did wrong was an elbow and that deserves a dq. It should be a non contact sport and an elbow even in contact sports means being chucked out of the game/competition.

Took a while but this is the right decision.

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 05:38 PM
The original punishment was pretty severe which means he did something wrong. If it was just a racing incident then there should have been little or no punishment.

The only thing you can say he did wrong was an elbow and that deserves a dq. It should be a non contact sport and an elbow even in contact sports means being chucked out of the game/competition.

Took a while but this is the right decision.

I find myself agreeing. Shame FIA didn't see it the same.

GreatGonzo
04-07-2017, 05:46 PM
I find myself agreeing. Shame FIA didn't see it the same.

I assume you are talking about vettel which I haven't kept up on that situation. Was slumming it on the costa del sol for 10 days.

JamTheEagle
04-07-2017, 06:00 PM
100% the right decision and the only one they could do to send out the correct message.

I like Sagan and I like Cav but it looked intentional and you just can't do that. He had no need to do it either, a very silly and costly move.

biggus mickus
04-07-2017, 06:04 PM
I assume you are talking about vettel which I haven't kept up on that situation. Was slumming it on the costa del sol for 10 days.

You never got in touch?

spunky
04-07-2017, 06:06 PM
**** sake, there goes a whole big chunk of velogames points.

biggus mickus
How does this work for you lot and the Velogames? Sagans points go now yes?

Captain Pizza
I'm not saying the decision is wrong, maybe sagan cut Cavendish up, but the elbow was clearly to regain balance and only came out after Cavendish was already falling off his bike.

https://streamable.com/j7gqb

FourtyTwo
04-07-2017, 06:11 PM
Bugger - there goes my Velogames chances. Might mount a top half challenge though, given the number of people saying the same!

GreatGonzo
04-07-2017, 06:12 PM
You never got in touch?

I considered it but we were all inclusive in Isdabe and had a birthday and a wedding to fit into the family holiday lol

Little Fozzie
04-07-2017, 06:37 PM
Ridiculous. As has been said the elbow comes out after contact

Little Fozzie
04-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Bryan Smith made a good point about Sagan jumping across the road to try and grab Demare's wheel

JamTheEagle
04-07-2017, 06:54 PM
I'm not saying the decision is wrong, maybe sagan cut Cavendish up, but the elbow was clearly to regain balance and only came out after Cavendish was already falling off his bike.

https://streamable.com/j7gqb
I completely disagree, he 100% cut him up, no maybe about it. That is what he has been disqualified for.

Little Fozzie
04-07-2017, 06:58 PM
First and f*cking last!

JamTheEagle
04-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Also how anyone can watch that and say that the elbow is to regain balance I find utterly baffling.

Little Fozzie
04-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Also how anyone can watch that and say that the elbow is to regain balance I find utterly baffling.
Because it came out when Cav's face was in the hoarding. Was still Sagan's fault

Captain Pizza
04-07-2017, 07:07 PM
I completely disagree, he 100% cut him up, no maybe about it. That is what he has been disqualified for.
I am more than happy to agree that he cut him up (although how he's supposed to see behind him, I'm not sure) but if you're going to start disqualifying sprinters for that then you'll end up with none by the end of if the first week of every grand tour.

Captain Pizza
04-07-2017, 07:08 PM
It's the lack of consistency which is frustrating. Not that it's a surprise.

FourtyTwo
04-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Because it came out when Cav's face was in the hoarding. Was still Sagan's fault

Sagan didn't know that Cav was in the hoarding though - just because it missed, doesn't mean it wasn't deliberate!

Palestinian
04-07-2017, 07:20 PM
mgwZsxukSL8

Seems a slightly harsh decision, as Boardman was saying on ITV, seems as though judging on consequences of collusion - Cav's likely departure - rather than the incident itself. That said, having watched it a dozen or more times from a variety of angles Sagan veers way off to the right to try to follow Demare's wheel, there wasn't the space and Cav on the barrier had nowhere to go.

stevek
04-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Just caught up with the highlights show and therefore the later interview with Cav. It just shows how much he has matured: a really well pitched response.

stevek
04-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Oh, and I don't think Sagan should have been disqualified.

Palestinian
04-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Having watched again to end Demare's manoeuvre cutting across what far more dangerous - just there wasn't carnage as a result (Demare is in my Velogames team and Sagan isn't for the avoidance of doubt, bias etc....)

stevek
04-07-2017, 07:36 PM
Having watched again to end Demare's manoeuvre cutting across what far more dangerous - just there wasn't carnage as a result (Demare is in my Velogames team and Sagan isn't for the avoidance of doubt, bias etc....)

Yes, though Boardman was a bit niaive to think that punishments aren't based on the consequences as well as the action.

LSEagle
04-07-2017, 07:38 PM
Well, that's my (and probably many many others) velogames over

GreatGonzo
04-07-2017, 07:51 PM

On the video in Palastinians post the elbow is out long before Cav hits the hoardings. It is obscured but t is out as soon as it comes into view and before Cav goes down.

pauldrulez
04-07-2017, 08:36 PM
https://streamable.com/zfq04

Jaserob
04-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Wow. Should we split the league and have two divisions. One who picked Sagan, and one division With the people of who didn't? :)

Excowboy
04-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Just seen it for the first time on the Eurosport Facebook. Sagan has a couple of digs with the elbow before Cav goes down.

singapore eagle
05-07-2017, 02:04 AM
Seems a slightly harsh decision, as Boardman was saying on ITV, seems as though judging on consequences of collusion - Cav's likely departure - rather than the incident itself. That said, having watched it a dozen or more times from a variety of angles Sagan veers way off to the right to try to follow Demare's wheel, there wasn't the space and Cav on the barrier had nowhere to go.

That's my take too. It's the deviation from Sagan that does for Cav, not the later elbow (which I think is Sagan protecting himself as he senses that Cav is in trouble). If Sagan is essentially being thrown out for not sprinting straight, it's more than slightly harsh. Not least because Demare's line yesterday was even worse - note how he close he comes to taking out Bouhanni.

Overall, a very messy sprint all round and Sagan has been kicked out because a) he caused a crash and Demare didn't and b) superficially, that elbow looks really bad from the overhead shot.

singapore eagle
05-07-2017, 02:28 AM
After all the excitement, here's the top ten in velogames. You have to go all the way down to Merxman in 13th place to find a team that still has nine riders intact.

1092 points
Team Ground
lseagle

1054 points
Canonbury Climbers
Jonathan Dobson

1040 points
Can`tgetusedtocleats
Geoffrey johnson

926 points
lanepe`s losers
Peter Lane

926 points
Wiggos Rear Derailleur
Paul

902 points
Route Rouge et Bleu
Mark

838 points
Sagorama
catherine

833 points
Ardeo`s Unicyclists
Tom Olney

804 points
CPFCPatriots
Paul D

791 points
Deliveroo Poorcycling
Captain Pizza

pauldrulez
05-07-2017, 06:28 AM
BORA have issued an official protest.

Sagan 22.0 for the points jersey on Betfair. Tempting.

stevek
05-07-2017, 06:54 AM
Cav is out.

GreatGonzo
05-07-2017, 07:58 AM
Cav is out.

My Cav/De Ghent gamble does not look like it will pay off. Went with that over Demare/4 pointer.

Oh well.

JamTheEagle
05-07-2017, 08:03 AM
That's my take too. It's the deviation from Sagan that does for Cav, not the later elbow (which I think is Sagan protecting himself as he senses that Cav is in trouble). If Sagan is essentially being thrown out for not sprinting straight, it's more than slightly harsh. Not least because Demare's line yesterday was even worse - note how he close he comes to taking out Bouhanni.

Overall, a very messy sprint all round and Sagan has been kicked out because a) he caused a crash and Demare didn't and b) superficially, that elbow looks really bad from the overhead shot.

Also c) the fact he crashed into the barriers, if that was the middle of the road I doubt he would have been thrown out.

weltklasse
05-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Sagan and Cav both in my team...bastards!

Captain Pizza
05-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Looking at the velogames squads I'd install meee and Palestinian as joint favourites...

GreatGonzo
05-07-2017, 10:16 AM
Looking at the velogames squads I'd install meee and Palestinian as joint favourites...

No pressure on Aru then ;)

stinky
05-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Who is everyone's money on today? Fancy a little flutter. Had Sagan to win and Matthews each way a couple of days ago which worked out well.

GreatGonzo
05-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Think it will be a GC battle.

If he can stay at the front end long enough up the climb Dan Martin would be a decent bet for the win. Porte laid down a marker the other day and we will see what Froomes form is like. SKY will dominate the climb but can Froome finish it off?

Jammy
05-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Porte over Froome for me today.

Pinot as an outside chance but this stage might be a bit early for him to go for.

meee
05-07-2017, 10:52 AM

Thanks. :D

kabbott
05-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Pundits over here are saying that Cavendish tried to force his way through and slightly touched the bottom of Sagan's back which made Sagan stick out his elbow so as not to fall. It does look a little bit like that TBF (although I do have Sagan in my team)! Would they have disqualified Sagan if the incident had happened in the middle of the road?
I'm now odds-on to finish last in the world!

GreatGonzo
05-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Pundits over here are saying that Cavendish tried to force his way through and slightly touched the bottom of Sagan's back which made Sagan stick out his elbow so as not to fall. It does look a little bit like that TBF (although I do have Sagan in my team)! Would they have disqualified Sagan if the incident had happened in the middle of the road?
I'm now odds-on to finish last in the world!

TBF the French press have a habit of hating Cav don't they?