PDA

View Full Version : Edgar Davids

AJ's right boot
22-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Random one. But with our new Dutch boss imminent I've been reading on here and twitter about our Dutch links and Davids name pops up fairly regularly, with almost all negative connotations. Am I the only one who thinks he wasnt anywhere near as bad as some are making out??? I thought he was OK in a fairly shocking Palace side.

Dorking .Eagle
22-06-2017, 08:53 PM
I remember his first Palace game, away at Portsmouth and a couple of pinpoint long passes that had everyone purring. And I think he'd not played for about a year before, having previously retired.

From the little memory I still have of him playing for us, from his remaining 5 or 6 other games though he seemed a bit off the pace.

He dropped down a couple more divisions and made a decent impact at Barnet though.

prizesucker
22-06-2017, 08:54 PM
A big problem was that Burley played him at left back for a number of games. He did play centre mid versus QPR & gifted them their first goal with a shocking back pass IIRC.
Was a huge buzz from the fans & players when he first arrived but he clearly wasn't match fit & his dad died during his CP run which affected him pretty badly.
It was a gamble that didn't pay off sadly. Whenever asked about his time at CP, he has always given positive remarks but maybe just being a good pro?

ElwissAtMemphis
23-06-2017, 01:32 AM
You had to admire somebody of his stature continuing to play in the lower leagues for the simple love of the game (I'm assuming he didn't need the money). Ex-internationals continuing to turn out at that level used to be the norm but is now sadly a rarity.

Beneaglee
23-06-2017, 03:12 AM
The game against qpr(believe Warnock took them up that year) He had tarabt in his pocket, unfortunately that terrible back pass happened and that seemed to end his time with us.

cpfc4evandeva
23-06-2017, 06:22 AM
I remember him playing well down at Pompey in the League Cup. Pretty poor apart from that.

Tim
23-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Remember him at Derby away. He was dreadful, I don't believe he played for us again after that.

burgess hill 84
23-06-2017, 10:49 AM
He had a very good game at Cardiff away (0-0), mid week game.

Selhurst Celtic
23-06-2017, 01:33 PM
I remember him playing well down at Pompey in the League Cup. Pretty poor apart from that.

I missed a game v Portsmouth that September because my selfish wife decided to go into labour. I missed a Vaughan hat-trick and the opportunity to take the piss out of Portsmouth fans and that bellend with the bell.

Away Day Eagle very kindly got me a programme from the match that I could keep as a memento for the new born. The centre page picture is of Edgar Davids. For years I've been wanting him to sign it for me and write a birthday message in it, but I was too busy or too lazy to ever get up to Barnet to ask him for the favour.

Se9 eagles
23-06-2017, 02:57 PM
Terrible pass in a home game cost us the match and that was his lot from what I can remember......l

Wolfnipplechips
23-06-2017, 03:04 PM
I missed a game v Portsmouth that September because my selfish wife decided to go into labour. I missed a Vaughan hat-trick and the opportunity to take the piss out of Portsmouth fans and that bellend with the bell.

Away Day Eagle very kindly got me a programme from the match that I could keep as a memento for the new born. The centre page picture is of Edgar Davids. For years I've been wanting him to sign it for me and write a birthday message in it, but I was too busy or too lazy to ever get up to Barnet to ask him for the favour.

Just get maestro to sign it. He's very obliging.

Mictor Voses
23-06-2017, 03:06 PM
I remember his first Palace game, away at Portsmouth and a couple of pinpoint long passes that had everyone purring. And I think he'd not played for about a year before, having previously retired.

From the little memory I still have of him playing for us, from his remaining 5 or 6 other games though he seemed a bit off the pace.

He dropped down a couple more divisions and made a decent impact at Barnet though.

I was there that night. I've never been buzzing so much after a defeat in my life- we were awesome and the sheer presence of Davids seemed to give the whole team a lift.

Another Oxted Eagle
23-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Reminded me a little bit of the Brolin signing. You watch them for the first few games and they aren't great but you think 'wow when he gets match fit and the other players get on his wavelength he is going to be a game changer'

You say the same thing at the 3rd and 4th games and then realise that if they ever had any hope of getting back to near their best they wouldn't have joined us !

jimos_uk
23-06-2017, 03:42 PM

Of all of the crazy revelations of the last few days, PHIL BARBER's amazing histrionics and new manager discussions, the fact that I now know that SC has, indeed, done the naughty with a woman is probably the biggest.

I now know that despite the brash facade, you are clearly a softie. Genuinely warmed my heart. I had visions of you as a knife wielding, witty bastard in a bedsit with a vest on.

cranesparkeagle
23-06-2017, 03:59 PM
Random one. But with our new Dutch boss imminent I've been reading on here and twitter about our Dutch links and Davids name pops up fairly regularly, with almost all negative connotations. Am I the only one who thinks he wasnt anywhere near as bad as some are making out??? I thought he was OK in a fairly shocking Palace side.

Did you go to the 5-0 defeat at Derby. Got torn a new one by Robbie Savage and Paul Green? The legs had gone. Not entirely his fault, George Burley set the team up and as he had it organised we couldnt defend to save our lives. Coaching wise I couldnt say. How hes gone since Barnet? I havent been keeping tabs

Selhurst Celtic
23-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Of all of the crazy revelations of the last few days, PHIL BARBER's amazing histrionics and new manager discussions, the fact that I now know that SC has, indeed, done the naughty with a woman is probably the biggest.

I now know that despite the brash facade, you are clearly a softie. Genuinely warmed my heart. I had visions of you as a knife wielding, witty bastard in a bedsit with a vest on.

Hold on a minute, sunshine. Where in my post did I reveal that the child was mine?

:vader:

gold76
23-06-2017, 04:16 PM
Played well against QPR, then gifted them a goal, did his hamstring in that game too?

Wolfnipplechips
23-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Hold on a minute, sunshine. Where in my post did I reveal that the child was mine?

:vader:

:D

Selhurst Celtic
23-06-2017, 04:21 PM
They all support Palace though and some of them come to the occasional match with me.

DocSavage
23-06-2017, 04:31 PM
They all support Palace though and some of them come to the occasional match with me.

:)

Stavros 69
23-06-2017, 04:36 PM

Even the ones that don't look like you?

Selhurst Celtic
23-06-2017, 04:43 PM
None of them look like me. Which is probably a good thing for them.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
23-06-2017, 05:08 PM

Although he shares many of my features, my son looks a good 36 years younger than me

Stavros 69
23-06-2017, 09:01 PM

The madonna of the bbs

jimos_uk
23-06-2017, 09:15 PM
The madonna of the bbs

God, that is a horrible mental image. Shame on you, Stav.

Stavros 69
23-06-2017, 09:51 PM
God, that is a horrible mental image. Shame on you, Stav.

When you meet SC you'll understand.

Selhurst Celtic
23-06-2017, 10:18 PM
Like a virgin?

Wolfnipplechips
23-06-2017, 10:24 PM
Let your heart beat next to mine.

cpfc4evandeva
23-06-2017, 10:30 PM

You also missed a cracking penalty shoot out, and one of Wilf's first games where he looked really special.

I think you need to sort out your priorities in life.

cpfc4evandeva
23-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Does anyone else remember Wilf tearing their full backs to shreds that night? I guess one of the Pompey defenders could have been Ward.

Selhurst Celtic
23-06-2017, 10:35 PM
You also missed a cracking penalty shoot out, and one of Wilf's first games where he looked really special.

I think you need to sort out your priorities in life.

I was at that game. This was the home league match vs Portsmouth.

Selhurst Celtic
23-06-2017, 10:35 PM
Let your heart beat next to mine.

You, me & Gareth Thomas. It'll be beautiful.

CP Satellite
24-06-2017, 03:19 AM
Does anyone else remember Wilf tearing their full backs to shreds that night? I guess one of the Pompey defenders could have been Ward.

I remember Wilf getting sent off, he outskilled their left back so many times he aimed a sly dig at him off the ball and Wilf reacted, which of course earned him a red card.

I'm not sure we scored one of our penalties after the match ended 1-1! In fact we did'nt score in normal time, it was an own goal by Pompey after somebody xalled Nugent put them ahead.

Acoording to the records, Joel Ward came on in the last minute as sub, after Wilf had got the red.

cpfc4evandeva
24-06-2017, 11:10 AM
I was at that game. This was the home league match vs Portsmouth.

I misread your post. The 4-1 game was pretty good too.

cpfc4evandeva
24-06-2017, 11:11 AM
I remember Wilf getting sent off, he outskilled their left back so many times he aimed a sly dig at him off the ball and Wilf reacted, which of course earned him a red card.

I'm not sure we scored one of our penalties after the match ended 1-1! In fact we did'nt score in normal time, it was an own goal by Pompey after somebody xalled Nugent put them ahead.

Acoording to the records, Joel Ward came on in the last minute as sub, after Wilf had got the red.

I forgot that he was sent off. I think we scored 1 penalty, maybe 2 but Speroni saved a few.

cpfcben
24-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Edgar davids at derby away. I still have nightmares.

TheMexicanHorse
24-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Remember going to Scunthorpe away, think that was his league debut?
Surreal seeing a 'superstar' running out a stadium the size of Imperial Fields.
Oh and we lost 3-0!

Selhurst Celtic
24-06-2017, 03:11 PM
I think Reading beat us 3-0 shortly after that, then we beat Portsmouth (Vaughan hat-trick & Danns pen I think). Portsmouth goal was calamitous defending. As usual.

cpfc4evandeva
24-06-2017, 06:37 PM
Reading away was even more dreadful than usual. I think it was a fairly warm day though, which was quite nice.

cpfc4evandeva
24-06-2017, 06:37 PM
I went to 11 away games that season.

We lost 10 and drew 1 against Watford :D

spt1978
24-06-2017, 06:43 PM
He hadn't played for a year due to a broken leg when he joined us.

Jim Cannon
24-06-2017, 06:59 PM
He hadn't played for a year due to a broken leg when he joined us.

Thought he had been in retirement for 2 years

Beneaglee
24-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Reading away was even more dreadful than usual. I think it was a fairly warm day though, which was quite nice.

Being born and raised in reading. I dreaded school the following Monday.

EmmerGreenEagle
24-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Being born and raised in reading. I dreaded school the following Monday.

Agreed, Reading fans are a weird lot. Most support a Premier League team too.

Jim Cannon
24-06-2017, 09:30 PM
I think Reading beat us 3-0 shortly after that, then we beat Portsmouth (Vaughan hat-trick & Danns pen I think). Portsmouth goal was calamitous defending. As usual.

I might be getting games muddled but wasn't it a mix up between Speroni and maybe claude davis?

GreatGonzo
24-06-2017, 09:41 PM
He had a very good game at Cardiff away (0-0), mid week game.

That was the 1 game we played our former world class defensive midfielder in central midfield and he was exceptional. Played him at left back and he looked a
Duck out of water. Similar reasons to why Craig Harrison has such a poor reputation from his time with us.

Jim Cannon
25-06-2017, 09:50 AM
That was the 1 game we played our former world class defensive midfielder in central midfield and he was exceptional. Played him at left back and he looked a
Duck out of water. Similar reasons to why Craig Harrison has such a poor reputation from his time with us.

To be fair, I doubt Craig Harrison would have been world class in any position though

Selhurst Celtic
25-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Similar reasons to why Craig Harrison has such a poor reputation from his time with us.

That and the fact that he was shit.

EmmerGreenEagle
25-06-2017, 02:23 PM
I thought Harrison had some good games at Centre Back. Poor left back though

cappuccinoeagle
25-06-2017, 04:59 PM
Didn't Davids have a pay when you play contract?

Se9 eagles
25-06-2017, 05:20 PM
Didn't Davids have a pay when you play contract?

Thought it was an "all you can drink" deal:p!

GreatGonzo
28-06-2017, 08:32 AM

Thought it was 1 game. 1 game where he was played in his actual position. Fans like SC then say he was shit!:rolleyes:

Selhurst Celtic
28-06-2017, 11:18 AM
He was shit. Dress it up all you like, but Harrison was a poor footballer at this level. He couldn't even pass the ball along the ground. I saw more bad passages of play from Harrison than good.

Pub Idol
28-06-2017, 11:32 AM
He was shit. Dress it up all you like, but Harrison was a poor footballer at this level. He couldn't even pass the ball along the ground. I saw more bad passages of play from Harrison than good.

From memory he was very bad then improved (cross against Liverpool) Then he played a few time at Centre back and was actually pretty good before getting a horrendous injury. That fair ? Long time ago now....:shy:

eagle mart
28-06-2017, 11:51 AM

The world turned quicker than Harrison.

GreatGonzo
28-06-2017, 12:29 PM

1 good game at CB as it was the only time he played in his historical position. It is why most fans, like SC claim he was shit. Might as well put Benteke at LB and slag him off. Players out of position is never the fault of the player.

Selhurst Celtic
28-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Yes, your Benteke example is exactly the same type of situation isn't it?

I appreciate the early 2000's were a difficult time for Palace post administration, and supporters can only be grateful for the efforts the likes of Harrison put into the club, but 38 appearances over 3 years wouldn't indicate that we Harrison was actually a latter day Franco Baresi on our hands.

It's shit that he got such a bad injury, but I'm not going to rewrite my opinion, which I'm entitled to, on a player who couldn't pass to a team mate & lacked pace.

gilesy14
28-06-2017, 03:32 PM
The game against qpr(believe Warnock took them up that year) He had tarabt in his pocket, unfortunately that terrible back pass happened and that seemed to end his time with us.

Yep, he was having a great game up until that almighty cock up. & as someone else mentioned, had a really good game away at Cardiff. I believe he'd been out of the game 2 years prior to his return for us.

Main memory of his debut vs Pompey, was his glasses repeatedly falling off, amongst some lovely crossfield pings.

eagle mart
28-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Yep, he was having a great game up until that almighty cock up. & as someone else mentioned, had a really good game away at Cardiff. I believe he'd been out of the game 2 years prior to his return for us.

Main memory of his debut vs Pompey, was his glasses repeatedly falling off, amongst some lovely crossfield pings.

He also dribbled around Dave Nugent, much to our delight. :lux:

Dom the Eagle
29-06-2017, 03:46 PM

Had to look this up. You're right.

Repo Man
14-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Well he's got a few bob coming his way after this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-14-ex-footballer-edgar-davids-wins-lawsuit-against-league-of-legends-dev-riot-over-lucian-skin

Wouldn't ay that is 'the biggest video game in the world' though, so don't know how much will be getting.