PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a season ticket

Dingle
23-06-2017, 08:20 PM
OK, so I was a season ticket holder for a number of seasons many moons ago (think Bruce Dyer, Matt Jansen, Lombardo era,) and have attended sporadically ever since.

However over the last few days, i've been seriously considering buying one again. It's got to the point now where i'm pretty sure i'm going to bite the bullet and get one but seeing as i've left it so late there's limited availability left and i'm hoping for some advice on where to get one.

Lower Holmesdale - Usually my preferred choice as atmosphere, view, facilities are all good and it's obviously cheaper than many other areas. However the only seats left are either well to the sides of the stand or right down to the front meaning the views probably aren't great.

Upper Holmesdale - Again not great availabilty but there are a few seats in block R, well towards the back that look like viable options. One of the more expensive options left but obviously facilities are good so don't mind paying a bit more. What is the view like from the back of the Upper?

Main Stand - No availability so that rules this one out.

Arthur Wait - Mid range pricing and pretty good availability so the views will be good but am put off by the shocking facilities in the stand.

Whitehorse - Good prices and fairly good availability. From what I remember the facilities are ok. It's the family stand but since we've stopped conceding stoppage time goals on a regular basis my ability to refrain from shouting obsenities has greatly improved so that shouldn't be an issue! :D

A couple more points to consider:

-I'll be going by myself so i'm not sure if that should factor into my final decision.

-I'll be travelling from Taunton every game. This will probably involve getting a coach to London (to save money,) then a train to the ground and obviously the reverse on the way back. Has anyone had any experience of making long journeys to every home game? (I shouldn't complain, my dad used to travel from Kent to Sunderland where he had a season ticket so my journey should be a doddle in comparison!)

-I'm hoping to take my son (who's 4,) to a couple of games this season (need to get him into the Palace way of life before he gets his head turned by the glory hunters when he starts school!) If there's no availability around my season ticket, how easy is it to move seats for one game? Is it even posssible or would I have to just buy 2 new tickets for that particular game in another area where there's availability?

Thanks for taking the time for reading this post, I know it's quite long winded!!!

TL;DR Thinking of getting a season ticket. Where should I sit?

elgin eagle
23-06-2017, 08:37 PM
If money isn't an issue i'd go for the upper holmesdale mate. Had or shared a season ticket since 1994 in the LH then whitehorse and lived in Norfolk, Scotland, Cyprus, Oxfordshire, South Wales, Essex and now Scotland again. The travelling sucks but beer helps, and at least the football standard is higher these days :p

johnnybacaro
24-06-2017, 01:27 AM
unless you are in the first few rows, view in lower isn't bad. I am in row 9 and have a rather good view of all action

Hedgehog
24-06-2017, 01:39 AM
I'd go with the AW if I was in your position with son etc.

Always a better perspective from the side if you are a football watcher verses a football fan.

CT_Palace
24-06-2017, 01:45 AM
I'd go with the AW if I was in your position with son etc.

Always a better perspective from the side if you are a football watcher verses a football fan.

Depends how far back you are. The TV gantry is a serious issue.

Hedgehog
24-06-2017, 01:47 AM
Depends how far back you are. The TV gantry is a serious issue.Agree... but he said:

Arthur Wait - Mid range pricing and pretty good availability so the views will be good but am put off by the shocking facilities in the stand

CT_Palace
24-06-2017, 02:10 AM
Agree... but he said:

Arthur Wait - Mid range pricing and pretty good availability so the views will be good but am put off by the shocking facilities in the stand

Agree.
If you can't afford a ticket in the Holmesdale, the AW is the next best of you ask me. Purely from an atmosphere post of view.

Hedgehog
24-06-2017, 02:19 AM
Only season ticket I ever had was in the AW - great view - shame we got relegated that season!

Shipsisourking
24-06-2017, 05:45 AM
I live near Stoke On Trent now and have season tickets with my two sons as well. No problems apart from night matches and then we usually drive part way.
We've just moved our st's to the upper tier from the Whitehorse as the miserable bastards in the row behind stated getting on our tits.
If you want a st with the view to taking your kid to the occasional match then go for the Arthur. You have a better chance of getting a casual ticket when they do go on sale.

Shipsisourking
24-06-2017, 05:45 AM

Ninjas Headband
24-06-2017, 07:49 AM
I'd go Arthur Wait so that you can get ocassional tickets for your son. I agree that the facilities are shocking but, apart from Brighton fans, who goes to football for the facilities?

Other option could be getting a ST for your son in the WH. Don't know the cost of this but you could always upgrade if you wanted to bring along a mate or possibly sell back to the club for the bigger games?

norwoodeagle
24-06-2017, 07:58 AM
Look at any offers in the WH for adults and Juniors.
When you take your son if he's only 5 he'll want to be up close and see the likes of Wilf.
You can do that in the WH and see bits of magic in and around the goal.
Not for the purist but who cares.

Yoda
24-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Welcome back!

Don't want to put you off buying a ST, but it might limit your options when you want to bring your little eagle. You've also left your decision rather late, so there's limited availability.

Just thinking, would it better this season to buy a Palace membership and then buy yourself tickets on an ad hoc basis...maybe choose 10-15 matches that suit your travel times best from Taunton. You could then try sitting in different stands and make an informed decision when you buy your ST for the season after this one.

This will then also allow more flexibility this year for the couple of games when you want to buy a pair of tickets and bring your son too.

You might find it hard to buy tickets for the most popular A games if you don't have a ST, however.

Oli28
24-06-2017, 09:07 AM
If you can go 90 mins plus half time without needing food or drink or use of a toilet then I'd go Arthur Wait for the atmosphere and view.

If having a beer at half time is a big deal then go for somewhere else as it's not worth the hassle in that stand.

Re: travelling long distance, plenty of us do it and it only gets problematic towards the end of the season when you only get a few weeks notice of kick off times to book trains. The rest of the time the journey just becomes part of the routine.

bradpitt
24-06-2017, 01:31 PM
I like the Arthur, I've got no interest in eating any food in the ground and I have a few beers in the Victory before and after the game so getting a half time drink doesn't bother me. In terms of view and atmosphere it's the best part of the ground for me.

Ninjas Headband
24-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Shame the club stopped the Selhurst 6/12 game tickets for us fans who couldn't make mid week games or lived far away from SE25.

El Aguila
24-06-2017, 01:42 PM
The leg room is a serious problem in the Arthur. I'm only about 6'1", not some freak like Mick or Blind, but it's proper uncomfortable. Bear this in mind.

Dingle
24-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, lots to take on board. I'll have a think about it tonight and make a decision then!

McpfcS
24-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Is there still a waiting list in operation?

Yoda
24-06-2017, 03:31 PM
The waiting list purchase period is now over and the STs are on general sale. So no need for another waiting list, until we sell out of STs again.

biggus mickus
25-06-2017, 06:39 AM
The leg room is a serious problem in the Arthur. I'm only about 6'1", not some freak like Mick or Blind, but it's proper uncomfortable. Bear this in mind.

:supergrin:

cranesparkeagle
25-06-2017, 04:14 PM
If you like an uninterrupted view of everything the U Holmesdale is slightly at a distance is terrific. It really just depends on whether you enjoy being at the end of the pitch or closer to the action As it happens the U Holmesdale is cheaper than the main stand. Best thing as I say, No pillars and a good bar and a steep rake in the steps which means you miss nothing. Just depends on the distance and a bit of a head for heights at the top!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
25-06-2017, 04:27 PM
:supergrin:

I wasn't sure which tall Mick he was calling a freak? Is it all about whether it's with spelt a 'c' or not?
Are you taking the credit? :D

Uswortheagle
28-06-2017, 01:41 PM
Go for Upper Holmsdale - good view and facilities are ok ( if you want to use them) Red & Blue bar is ok as well,welcome back to the roller coaster

tasty_snacks
28-06-2017, 02:24 PM
Contact RON GADD. He and a bunch of SW Palace fans travel up from the SW for all matches so that should cheapen/ mollify the long journey.