PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Jacob Murphy

Nostrils
25-06-2017, 05:49 PM
http://readsouthampton.com/2017/06/25/southampton-target-murphy-handed-12m-price-tag/

He certainly ticks a few boxes. Wing and attacking midfield cover, maybe even a replacement for Punch. Rated at 12m apparently so maybe too much for possibly cover - who knows?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jacob-murphy/profil/spieler/199527

Worksop Palace
25-06-2017, 05:50 PM
12m lol

Nostrils
25-06-2017, 05:51 PM
12m lol

Was 7m last week. Looks a prospect though.

CharlieCPFC
25-06-2017, 06:09 PM
12m lol

Yep, exactly.

There's better and cheaper across Europe, Portugal and Holland in particular. Even Adama Traore would be a better option in my eyes. Not only is he at a terrific age to develop but he has the way of playing that we desire ingrained into him from as a kid when he soaked up most his traits at Barcelona.

Owngoal
25-06-2017, 09:25 PM
http://readsouthampton.com/2017/06/25/southampton-target-murphy-handed-12m-price-tag/

He certainly ticks a few boxes. Wing and attacking midfield cover, maybe even a replacement for Punch. Rated at 12m apparently so maybe too much for possibly cover - who knows?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jacob-murphy/profil/spieler/199527

Can't see Punch lasting at the club as a first teamer if we are to press teams and not lose the ball. Who knows if a new manager will get him back to the player of 18 months ago. This youngster sounds an exciting prospect.

carter
25-06-2017, 09:38 PM
Can't see Punch lasting at the club as a first teamer if we are to press teams and not lose the ball. Who knows if a new manager will get him back to the player of 18 months ago. This youngster sounds an exciting prospect.

IMO if anything the new tactics that we are supposedly gonna play will suit Puncheon more than anyone. He is always looking to play football on the ground and he is one of the fittest in the team. Just because he loses the ball it doesn't mean he can't keep it. He occasionally loses it because it's always him and Cabaye tryna start a move or keep the move going. Players like Ward, Delaney and Kelly are screwed.

Anyway 12M is far too much

averity
26-06-2017, 01:35 AM
Punch has always looked good on the ball to me, the only problem is that he has lost his shooting boots. And I just feel we need someone in that position sigurson esk, who is grabbing 8-12 goals a year

orp pisshead1
26-06-2017, 05:15 AM
IMO if anything the new tactics that we are supposedly gonna play will suit Puncheon more than anyone. He is always looking to play football on the ground and he is one of the fittest in the team. Just because he loses the ball it doesn't mean he can't keep it. He occasionally loses it because it's always him and Cabaye tryna start a move or keep the move going. Players like Ward, Delaney and Kelly are screwed.

Bang on money re Punch just a shame others can't see it .

Nigelbrag
26-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Probably everything changes when Frank de Boer is appointed, as no doubt he will have his own ideas and choice of players.
The player that has impressed me in the under 21's has been Ward-Prowse who looks a complete allround midfielder, unfortunately we have no chance.

Nostrils
26-06-2017, 08:06 AM
I'm pretty sure 7m was being floated around originally, I would've been quite happy with that tbh. The price rise probably means they want to keep him, he's only just signed a new contract, so I can't see it happening for anyone.

laboxers
26-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Punch has always looked good on the ball to me, the only problem is that he has lost his shooting boots. And I just feel we need someone in that position sigurson esk, who is grabbing 8-12 goals a year

And his passing boots. He is trying to play this Rooney quarterback position and it really doesn't suit him

Lombardo's hair
26-06-2017, 08:50 AM

Disagree. His problem is holding on to ball....For too long....slowing attacks and petty fouls. That added to giving ball away just means he should go.....Having said that I think for 3 or 4 games he did move the ball quicker under Sam and looked a much better player. He then reverted back to type. Maybe FDB can coach that out of him?

Owngoal
26-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Bang on money re Punch just a shame others can't see it .

Punch is capable of being a good player but he wasn't a reflection of his former self last season. That is just being honest. His dead ball quality nd lack of on target shots reflects it. I love Damo, but he should not have been given a new contract as a player, fitness coach? Yes.

MFBias
26-06-2017, 10:03 AM
In the FYP Podcast interview, Puncheon explained he was asked to play a different role last season where he would look to supply others first. I agree he could have scored afew but it's worth baring in mind when you compare him to himself from previous seasons.

orp pisshead1
26-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Punch is capable of being a good player but he wasn't a reflection of his former self last season. That is just being honest. His dead ball quality nd lack of on target shots reflects it. I love Damo, but he should not have been given a new contract as a player, fitness coach? Yes.

Two fair points but do think Punch is a far bigger influence than many realise.

Kai
26-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Disagree. His problem is holding on to ball....For too long....slowing attacks and petty fouls. That added to giving ball away just means he should go.....Having said that I think for 3 or 4 games he did move the ball quicker under Sam and looked a much better player. He then reverted back to type. Maybe FDB can coach that out of him?

Spot on. Punch wants to play on the ground but his head is not quick enough nor are his feet.

aashman12
26-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Probably everything changes when Frank de Boer is appointed, as no doubt he will have his own ideas and choice of players.
The player that has impressed me in the under 21's has been Ward-Prowse who looks a complete allround midfielder, unfortunately we have no chance.

Baker, swift, chambers, mawson all impressed me.

AJ
27-06-2017, 02:41 PM
12m for a one season wonder in the championship. The football world has gone crazy. Makes you wonder the value we can put on Kelly, Mutch and Lee

aashman12
27-06-2017, 07:04 PM
Saw him today off the bench for eng u21s, absolute lazy ******, was the fresh legs late on yet continually let his man run free. Offered very little the other way.

Liam_Palace
13-07-2017, 10:37 AM
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/boyhood-newcastle-united-fan-jacob-13324708.amp

Apparently he's turned us down...

El Aguila
13-07-2017, 10:41 AM

THIS!!!!

SJ'sLoveMonkey
13-07-2017, 10:45 AM
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/boyhood-newcastle-united-fan-jacob-13324708.amp

Good!

Martin H
13-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Seems to be rated at the FA but I always felt a bit underwhelmed when I saw him. TBF he is still young and has plenty of time to develop. He has a good shot on him but seems to 'use it' too often and wastes chances when a bit of guile would have been created something better.

I think we can probably ignore the 'turned us down thing' they seem to report everything like that these days, snubs is the usual label. If he came where would he play - Wilf and Andros both ahead of him on the right wing. Not sure Newcastle is a good choice for him.

SilentAssassin
13-07-2017, 11:48 AM

Typical Newcastle still thinking they are a big club?

"I’ve been here since I was 11, which is ten years now. I couldn’t be more happy to be signing for my boyhood club.'
https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2016/november/jacob-murphy-signs-new-deal-until-2021/

DHeagle
13-07-2017, 12:05 PM
12m for a one season wonder in the championship. The football world has gone crazy. Makes you wonder the value we can put on Kelly, Mutch and Lee

To put Kelly with the other two is unfair given his form at the end of the season - if he can carry that into next year he'd be worth a few bob (maybe 7-10m).

I don't wonder about the other two though. Right now they're both worth FA.

RisZero
13-07-2017, 12:15 PM
To put Kelly with the other two is unfair given his form at the end of the season - if he can carry that into next year he'd be worth a few bob (maybe 7-10m).

I don't wonder about the other two though. Right now they're both worth FA.

I still genuinely think CYL has some ability, just has never really suited us or managed to step up when given the chance bar that single wonder goal. Could see him doing alright at some other clubs in the league, or just being a good championship player.

Mutch can fk off though, its like his Cardiff self was replaced with an imposter i swear.

Also 2-games-then-done Sako on enormous wages.

mb23
13-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Lee at least puts in the effort, he's just not PL quality.

Never really got Sako - has the attributes to do well but always seems injured. Far too slow to be a winger.

Mutch can do one.

Madness the amount of money combined those three will be on - and isn't Mutch with us for two more years?!

RisZero
13-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Lee at least puts in the effort, he's just not PL quality.

Never really got Sako - has the attributes to do well but always seems injured. Far too slow to be a winger.

Mutch can do one.

Madness the amount of money combined those three will be on - and isn't Mutch with us for two more years?!

Im not sure id be surprised if we pay off one or more contracts in this group this window honestly. Wages seem to be a bigger issue than fees for us, and if we cant sell or loan them, and we are not going to play them, then some agreement to cut things short at least frees up wages to re-allocate.

Getting shot of Kebe was some of the best business the club has done :D

Martin H
13-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Re Lee - I would expect him to be valued more by FDB than any of our recent managers. can't imagine he will be staying though will he?

MasterYoda
13-07-2017, 12:55 PM
no big miss - realised he'd be a bench player at best.

Nostrils
Re Lee - I would expect him to be valued more by FDB than any of our recent managers. can't imagine he will be staying though will he?

I wondered about him as well. Couldn't say he's been a success story, but he does seem a better fit with FdB than any of our other managers, wouldn't want him to start though.

RisZero

If the links to players like Munir and Murphy is genuine then it seems more likely that FDB is more interested in upgrading already.

DHeagle
13-07-2017, 01:11 PM
I still genuinely think CYL has some ability, just has never really suited us or managed to step up when given the chance bar that single wonder goal. Could see him doing alright at some other clubs in the league, or just being a good championship player.

Mutch can fk off though, its like his Cardiff self was replaced with an imposter i swear.

Also 2-games-then-done Sako on enormous wages.

Don't argue with your point on Lee at all. He just has no stock at the moment because he probably played in about five games last year? He works hard and has some quality, and FDB might be able to get more out of him than others have, but right now we couldn't sell him for more than the price we bought him at, I wouldn't suspect.

bourne man
13-07-2017, 05:17 PM
He's a fan, fair play

RPizzey
17-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Turned Palace down

CharlieCPFC
17-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Looks like we're in for a winger then, go for Traore.

RisZero
17-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Looks like we're in for a winger then, go for Traore.

I heard Leicester have some financial problems at the moment, wonder how much Demarai Gray would cost if he doesnt end up at Everton

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 05:29 PM
I heard Leicester have some financial problems at the moment, wonder how much Demarai Gray would cost if he doesnt end up at Everton

Leicester could have some serious issues...

CharlieCPFC
17-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Never knew this about Leicester...

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 05:37 PM
Never knew this about Leicester...

Them and their Thai owner hein investigated in Thailand for financial issues I believe.

Will have a look see if can find article

RisZero
17-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Them and their Thai owner hein investigated in Thailand for financial issues I believe.

Probably didnt help that they probably paid a bomb to keep people like Mahrez only to end up in a relegation fight anyway

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 05:40 PM
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11712/10946865/leicester-citys-owners-king-power-international-facing-second-big-money-lawsuit-in-thailand

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/12/leicester-owner-king-power-accused-corruption-thailand-duty-free

There's another one I can't find mentions the potential reprucsssions

Zohar's Penalty
17-07-2017, 05:41 PM

Unreal if they are in trouble after winning the title and champs league quarter final. Must be colossal incompetence to mess that up.

Yogya
17-07-2017, 05:41 PM

Yes being investigated for under payment of royalties to Thai Government. I doubt that it is about that, probably more due to need to share lucrative duty free profits with current junta. Money will sort this out easily enough

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 05:43 PM
Yes being investigated for under payment of royalties to Thai Government. I doubt that it is about that, probably more due to need to share lucrative duty free profits with current junta. Money will sort this out easily enough

Probably. Your prob in Better place to comment than me

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
17-07-2017, 05:49 PM

Not only is Sigurdsson scoring goals but he creates them. Last season, Puncheon barely dis the latter, and didn't do the former at all. Perhaps he would improve in a team passing and moving better but I actually think he's a better option as wing cover since he crosses so well. He's been as responsible for our inability to win games as anyone in team except Hennessey, IMO, as like Hennessey, he doesn't do what it says on the tin. Really needs replacing as an AM if at all possible and if we can get someone with Sigurdsson's impact, we will be a great shout for a top ten finish.

SmokeyStover7
17-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Not only is Sigurdsson scoring goals but he creates them. Last season, Puncheon barely dis the latter, and didn't do the former at all. Perhaps he would improve in a team passing and moving better but I actually think he's a better option as wing cover since he crosses so well. He's been as responsible for our inability to win games as anyone in team except Hennessey, IMO, as like Hennessey, he doesn't do what it says on the tin. Really needs replacing as an AM if at all possible and if we can get someone with Sigurdsson's impact, we will be a great shout for a top ten finish.

This is entirely fair and in my opinion correct. I would even argue that because CAM is a more important position than GK, upgrading there should be our biggest priority. Then again it has been since Chamakh left....

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 06:00 PM

This.

Martin H
17-07-2017, 06:14 PM
I am not sure that we will play with an out and out winger as such and even less likely to start with 2. So Punch who can quite naturally plays tucked in as a winger/AM/ etc. may well find he is starting there.

I also wonder (I am not suggesting or recommending it) if we will see Andros move on later on in the window. To some extent the Asia tour may well define the answer based on how he/Wilf do with this role. I think Wilf should be able to adapt to the AM and tucked in winger. I suspect Andros could but would you really try to convert 2 players rather than move one on and bring in an AM - like Loftus Cheek :) oh........

I am just 'musing' but that would be my guess. FDB to make a decision upon return on who the other midfield slots are going to. as mooted elsewhere Lee and Macca are likely ruled out already.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
18-07-2017, 02:09 PM
I am not sure that we will play with an out and out winger as such and even less likely to start with 2. So Punch who can quite naturally plays tucked in as a winger/AM/ etc. may well find he is starting there.

I also wonder (I am not suggesting or recommending it) if we will see Andros move on later on in the window. To some extent the Asia tour may well define the answer based on how he/Wilf do with this role. I think Wilf should be able to adapt to the AM and tucked in winger. I suspect Andros could but would you really try to convert 2 players rather than move one on and bring in an AM - like Loftus Cheek :) oh........

I am just 'musing' but that would be my guess. FDB to make a decision upon return on who the other midfield slots are going to. as mooted elsewhere Lee and Macca are likely ruled out already.

It's very possible you are right, especially if FDB tinkers the system like you postulate. I honestly think either Andros or Wilf would do more behind the striker than Puncheon as they are far more dynamic, willing to take snapshots and release the ball quickly and with more imagination, particularly Andros. BFS showed how effective they can be unshackled from the touchline and what Benteke can do when not a mere water-carrier for the wingers, like every other striker we've wasted since promotion.

I would love to see a dynamic AM with Wilf and Andros causing mayhem out wide but think you may well have called our intended tactical direction correctly. I'd be intrigued to see Wilf behind the striker ( if our system becomes wing dependent ) as I think he will one day become a true center-forward anyway.

Owngoal
18-07-2017, 02:21 PM
What's this thread about? Haven't a clue from the posts. Perhaps Grunge Aigle can confirm it's not about his favourite player SM.