PDA

View Full Version : Unimportant Cup Competitions

SilentAssassin
30-06-2017, 12:10 PM
With the Asia Trophy coming up, I was wondering how many strange cup competitions/friendlies we have entered over the years.

One that stands out was the Philips Cup in 2003 against PSV.

Anyone have any recollections of any other unimportant cup competitions through the years?

WorthingEagle
30-06-2017, 12:34 PM
I think we've played in all of these minor competitions:

Southern Professional Floodlit Cup
Anglo-Italian Cup
Texaco Cup
Football League Group Cup
Mercantile Credit Centenary Festival
Third Division South Cup
Full Members Cup (Zenith Data Systems etc.)

But sadly never qualified for or accepted invites to such greats as:

Debenhams Cup
Watney Cup
Anglo-Scottish Cup
Anglo-Franco-Scottish Friendship Cup
Anglo-Italian League Cup
Mercantile Credit Centenary Trophy
Football League Supercup

SilentAssassin
30-06-2017, 03:13 PM
Nice one WE. Just looked a few of them up. Cheers for the info.

Never knew about the Texaco Cup, Football League Group cup or the Southern Professional Floodlit Cup.

I guess the Surrey Cup should get an honourable mention too.

Dorking .Eagle
30-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Don't forget the Intertoto Cup, our one and only time in a UEFA Competition

Oddjob
30-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Am I going bonkers or did there used to be a 6-a-side tournament played at the G-Mex in Manchester? did we ever play in that?

cpfc4evandeva
30-06-2017, 03:30 PM
I remember as a young kid thinking that the Umbro Cup and Le Tournoi were prestigious events, and being really excited when England did well in them :D

WorthingEagle
30-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Don't forget the Intertoto Cup, our one and only time in a UEFA Competition

I classified that as 'major', that's up for debate I suppose! :D

GeeTee
30-06-2017, 03:39 PM
Am I going bonkers or did there used to be a 6-a-side tournament played at the G-Mex in Manchester? did we ever play in that?

The Guinness Soccer Sixes. I think we may have taken part in 1990.

WorthingEagle
30-06-2017, 03:48 PM

Looks like we lost both our games...

https://playupliverpool.com/1990/12/05/six-of-the-best-from-slick-luton/

Hal Low
30-06-2017, 04:30 PM

There was also a London 6-a-side in the 1970s Televised, I think. Have a picture in my mind of John Sewell panting away

Grim Reaper
06-07-2017, 09:49 PM
There were London 6-a-sides around 1993-95. The weird thing was that despite it being a London tournament and all London teams were present no London side ever won it - Wycombe and Watford split the trophy wins IIRC

Grim Reaper
06-07-2017, 09:52 PM
We were in a four team tournament in summer 1990. Palace, Sampdoria, Fiorentina and one other Serie A team.

Lost 2-1 to Fiorentina and then beat Sampdoria on penalties to claim 3rd place.

Always remember Capital Radio the next day describing the game as one of Palace's 'most famous wins'

WTF!? We won a FRIENDLY on penalties and that was one of our most famous wins!!?? (Christ, we were barely 100 days past beating Liverpool 4-3 not quite sure this was in the same class as that!!)

jjeagle
07-07-2017, 05:58 AM
Evening Standard 5-a-side? Didn't we win it 1969?

OldPeanutSeller
07-07-2017, 06:07 AM
Evening Standard 5-a-side? Didn't we win it 1969?

Some stuff on it here:

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265216

jjeagle
07-07-2017, 06:12 AM
Some stuff on it here:

http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=265216

Thank you.:p

E.X Moontoad
07-07-2017, 05:39 PM
Recall us taking part in a pre season tournament circa mid 70s alongside Charlton, Millwall and Gillingham. Was played on a group basis (I think) and was called something along the lines of The Kent Challenge Cup/Trophy?

ian king
11-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Recall us taking part in a pre season tournament circa mid 70s alongside Charlton, Millwall and Gillingham. Was played on a group basis (I think) and was called something along the lines of The Kent Challenge Cup/Trophy?

Kent Cup played August 1975.
Lost at home to Charlton 0-1 then drew away at Gillingham and Millwall, both 1-1 draws. Did not qualify for further progress.

big bad John
12-07-2017, 12:26 AM
We entered Quiz Ball one year and did quite well. Similar to Quesion of Sport. Remember vaguely Gerry Queen and Jacko being pretty good. I was at the age where I was absolutely gutted when we got beaten. My father just laughed and told me that Gerry Queen had told him a month previously that they had lost.

N Herts Eagle
12-07-2017, 04:25 AM
We entered Quiz Ball one year and did quite well. Similar to Quesion of Sport. Remember vaguely Gerry Queen and Jacko being pretty good. I was at the age where I was absolutely gutted when we got beaten. My father just laughed and told me that Gerry Queen had told him a month previously that they had lost. Route One David..... I think it was David Vine...... There were four routes to goal:
4 easy questions,
3 medium questions,
2 difficult questions
and 1 hard question.
You could be tackled if you took the easy route the other team were allowed to buzz in usually on the last question.
The team the other two I am struggling with, and one might of been a guest not a player. Anyway as you were was gutted we lost even more so I think we were robbed , it was a question on name a spacecraft they wanted something like Apollo 11 we gave the name it was known as when flying Columbia....sure the FA fixed it.
I dont recall who we lost too either....might of been Arsenal

N Herts Eagle
12-07-2017, 05:44 AM
We entered Quiz Ball one year and did quite well. Similar to Quesion of Sport. Remember vaguely Gerry Queen and Jacko being pretty good. I was at the age where I was absolutely gutted when we got beaten. My father just laughed and told me that Gerry Queen had told him a month previously that they had lost. Your getting old......:supergrin:

You posted this in 2005....
http://www.cpfc.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-105650.html

Don't know if you've already dug this up Ian but here goes.

Quiz Ball refereed by David Vine (later Stuart Hall)

After winning the opening kick off question the player chose a route to goal and answered the questions. The opposing team had one chance to tackle the player going to goal by pressing a buzzer prior to the player answering their last question.If they get it right they've won possession but if it was wrong the challenge was unsuccessful and a goal is scored. The route one question was not subject to a tackle.

Quiz ball started in 66-67 and finished in 71-72. Their was no series in 68-69 and two in 70.

66-67 Palace never entered. Arsenal beat Dumferline 7-3 in final. Two of our most lovable ex- managers Mullery and Vegtables represented Spurs.

67-68 No Palace entry. Gerry Queen played for Kilmarnock and Willie Wallace Celtic. Alan Leather ( did he become our secretary ??? ) was on the Coventry team , he was their secretary. West Brom beat Forest 2-1 in final.

69-70. lost in the first round 2-1 to West Brom. Queen scoring for us and Osborne getting two for W.B.A.
Palace team. Jackson - Queen - Pinkney- and guest Alfie Bass.
Celtic and Hearts competed for final.

1970 no Palace entry. Celtic beat Everton in final. Charlie Cooke in Chelsea team.

1970-71 Palace beat Blackpool 3-2 in first round. team Bert Head - Jacko- Queen- guest Richard Wattis.

semi final we beat Leeds after extra time. team John Sewell replaced Bert Head.
final . lost to Derby 2-4 team John Sewell - John McCormick - John Jackson and Richard Wattis.

71-72 no palace entry. Dumferline won, and big Roger Hynd competed for Birmingham City.

I can only say by 1970/71 I had discovered girls and beer because I have no recollection of making the Final but digging around Google Richard Wattis scored both our goals in the final.

I found this from 2008 on a Derby Site.......http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/s-official-rams-brains-britain-1971/story-11579344-detail/story.html

Seems most of the tapes were wiped but to give you youngsters you a clue there is this on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkYidVVOHos

This was must see TV back in the days http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02p6z1l

Dogburger
12-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Kent Cup played August 1975.
Lost at home to Charlton 0-1 then drew away at Gillingham and Millwall, both 1-1 draws. Did not qualify for further progress.

I remember that , bunked off work early with a sick bug to go to the Gillingham away game . Got to Selhurst far too early for the coach but there was a game of football tennis going on in the court between Vennables and The groundsman Len Chatterton . Don't ask me why but it was better than looking at the car park and as I remember the highlight of the day

big bad John
12-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Your getting old......:supergrin:

You posted this in 2005....

l[/url] Don't know if it's the memory or the fact that I had far more patience to look up things in those far gone days:)

selhursthoover
13-07-2017, 06:10 AM

Never knew about the Texaco Cup, Football League Group cup or the Southern Professional Floodlit Cup.

The Surrey Cup. The memories. Used to go to these.

'Ash on the Lash' was the last.

:p

TheJam
13-07-2017, 11:28 AM

Surrey Cup certainly worth a mention, as we thrashed poor Dulwich Hamlet in successive years -- 6-0 in Nov.'58, and 8-1 in Nov.'59!!

Se9 eagles
16-07-2017, 12:16 PM
Seem to recall through the mists of time that we won a televised 5 a side competition in 79 with Sansom,Nicholas and Vince Hilaire in the team.Hardly lost a game that season!Can anyonle else remember that or am I going mad?

tony 1947
16-07-2017, 02:20 PM
We were in the London Challenge Cup 1909 to 1974 won it 3 times in the early years, played our first team at the start later used reserves.

Jim Cannon
16-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Bit lame I know, but I can recall us playing a friendly against Chelsea where we were given a cup. We won 3-1. Now some people will also recall we were given the 2nd division championship trophy in 1979, also before a friendly match against Chelsea. I am not referring to this one. Does anyone remember the match - it would have probably been around 1980 and what the hell was the trophy for?

Se9 eagles
16-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Bit lame I know, but I can recall us playing a friendly against Chelsea where we were given a cup. We won 3-1. Now some people will also recall we were given the 2nd division championship trophy in 1979, also before a friendly match against Chelsea. I am not referring to this one. Does anyone remember the match - it would have probably been around 1980 and what the hell was the trophy for?

All I can remember is parading the 2nd div trophy against a Chelsea in 79 or 80. We won 4 or 5 nil and their fans went ballistic after...,

Jim Cannon
16-07-2017, 05:58 PM
All I can remember is parading the 2nd div trophy against a Chelsea in 79 or 80. We won 4 or 5 nil and their fans went ballistic after...,

Yes remember it was 5-0. The game I am talking about was a midweek evening match. We won 3-1 amd got presented with some cup. Thought it was strange at the time. Hopefully someone might remember this

ian king
18-07-2017, 05:08 PM
The game I am talking about was a midweek evening match. We won 3-1 amd got presented with some cup. Thought it was strange at the time. Hopefully someone might remember this

The only time CP has defeated Chelsea 3-1 at home was the League Cup tie in January 1993 played in torrential rain and Chris Coleman's slow motion goal as the ball was held up in the water and trickled over the line. I cannot remember a cup presentation though.

There are two 'Surrey' Cups. The Surrey Invitation Cup where the reference to Dulwich Hamlet has already been mentioned and the Surrey Senior Cup for the groundhoppers amongst us.

Jim Cannon
18-07-2017, 08:01 PM
The only time CP has defeated Chelsea 3-1 at home was the League Cup tie in January 1993 played in torrential rain and Chris Coleman's slow motion goal as the ball was held up in the water and trickled over the line. I cannot remember a cup presentation though.

There are two 'Surrey' Cups. The Surrey Invitation Cup where the reference to Dulwich Hamlet has already been mentioned and the Surrey Senior Cup for the groundhoppers amongst us.

Ian, this game was a friendly. Perhaps I got the score wrong but we definitely played Chelsea in a friendly not to be confused with the 5-0 game of 1979. Is there any record of it, from around 1980.

OldPeanutSeller
18-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Seem to recall through the mists of time that we won a televised 5 a side competition in 79 with Sansom,Nicholas and Vince Hilaire in the team.Hardly lost a game that season!Can anyonle else remember that or am I going mad?

This rings a bell with me - don't recall whether we won it or not

joyce the voice
18-07-2017, 08:29 PM
This rings a bell with me - don't recall whether we won it or not

I went to that so it definitely did happen! I think we won but I can't really remember.

TenEmBee
18-07-2017, 09:42 PM
I went to that so it definitely did happen! I think we won but I can't really remember.

Yeah I went to this too. Sure it was the Daily Express 5 a side at Wembley Arena

ian king
18-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Ian, this game was a friendly. Perhaps I got the score wrong but we definitely played Chelsea in a friendly not to be confused with the 5-0 game of 1979. Is there any record of it, from around 1980.

Got the answer.
On 5th May 1980 Palace played Chelsea at SP for the George Graham Testimonial and won 3-1.

In my scrapbook I have a picture from a paper of George Graham, Terry Venables and Chelsea manager Geoff Hurst presenting Jim Cannon with the Sportsman Club Trophy but there is nothing to say what it is for and no mention in the programme.!

Jim Cannon
19-07-2017, 06:04 AM
Got the answer.
On 5th May 1980 Palace played Chelsea at SP for the George Graham Testimonial and won 3-1.

In my scrapbook I have a picture from a paper of George Graham, Terry Venables and Chelsea manager Geoff Hurst presenting Jim Cannon with the Sportsman Club Trophy but there is nothing to say what it is for and no mention in the programme.!

Hallelujah. That has haunted me for years, we played a friendly V Chelsea, won 3-1 and got a trophy. Even I startet to doubt myself. Thanks for clearing that up Ian.

Dorking .Eagle
19-07-2017, 06:19 AM
Well done Ian. Any chance it was just a recognition thing for Jimbo? Perhaps he did a lot of work for organising the testimonial??

SilentAssassin
19-07-2017, 06:32 AM
The Surrey Cup. The memories. Used to go to these.

'Ash on the Lash' was the last.

:p

Used to enjoy going to the games as a kid growing up. Still remember one of the games, can't remember if it was a final or not and seeing some of our younger players get a right good kicking in the game.

I'd like to say it was around the time Steve Kabba was pulling up trees in the youth team scoring goals for fun but I'm not 100% certain he played in the game in hindsight. It must of been around his era we pulled our youth squads out of the competition altogether after that?

Se9 eagles
20-07-2017, 05:54 AM
Yeah I went to this too. Sure it was the Daily Express 5 a side at Wembley Arena

Well that's a relief Im not going mad and guess what?We won the competition!