PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Olivier Giroud

regal_eagle
30-06-2017, 12:14 PM
With West Ham weighing up a 20Mil bid for the coiffured one, Arsenal looking to 'upgrade' with Mbappe and/or Lacazette, and the player himself wanting to stay in London, maybe worth a look..?

We do like to buy players who have scored decent goals against us...

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/arsenal-must-consider-selling-olivier-giroud-to-west-ham-says-former-gunner-nigel-winterburn-a3576416.html

Maybe Mandanda can put a good word in for us ;)

SilentAssassin
30-06-2017, 12:16 PM
No way will he end up at West Ham nor here either.

regal_eagle
30-06-2017, 12:17 PM
No, probably not. A cheeky bid at least shows intent, if not just to mess up West Hams offer..

aj4england
30-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Out of our price range rather have Sakho , but if money was no object then yes .

Tim
30-06-2017, 12:31 PM
Massive upgrade on Wickham. Benteke & Giroud would be the best pair of strikers since Wright & Bright..

CP-RJW
30-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Upgrade on Benteke but not a big enough one to make it worthwhile, especially since he's 4 years older.

Thefunkymonk
30-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Very similar to Benteke Tbh.. he class but neither him or Benteke would sit on bench

elgin eagle
30-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Out of our range surely.

cpfcfan1
30-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Very similar to Benteke Tbh.. he class but neither him or Benteke would sit on bench

Yep this, very good player but too similar to Benteke.

WorthingEagle
30-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Strange player - give him a run in the team and he appears to coast a little and miss some easy chances. I suppose when you play for Arsenal, you can be forgiven for thinking the next one isn't far away.

Bring him off the bench angry though and it's generally one chance, one goal.

Kirby
30-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Huge YES if we didn't already have Benteke.

Imagine he'll end up at a Champions League club though.

cpfcfan1
30-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Think he will end up somewhere like Juve

Shipp Ahoy!
30-06-2017, 12:56 PM
He is one I was seriously close to suggesting last year, then we got Benteke.

All hinges on if Arsenal get someone in as to if he goes anywhere I reckon.

brighton_eagle
30-06-2017, 12:58 PM
No thanks. Not a position we need to spend that much on for that type of player.

Nigelbrag
30-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Far too similar in style to Benteke to be paired, neither would either accept being on the bench so a no goer if ever there was a chance of it ever happening.
No question Benteke will be the main striker, so what it needs is a player who can complement eachother should we play with Two strikers or someone who could play off or just behind the main striker.
If there is an Arsenal player we could temp that would fit our style its Theo Walcott, which maybe worth an enquiry at a fee of say 18-22m maybe? and he could play the "10" role or if Newcastle came back in and Townsend was to be sold, then he could also play the wide role, but most important he scores goals on a regular basis which would be an added bonus.

Chief Brody
30-06-2017, 01:34 PM
No.

Fort Neef
30-06-2017, 01:34 PM
Handsome git always scores against us. But as others have said, not the sort of striker we need.

CP-RJW
30-06-2017, 01:48 PM
Far too similar in style to Benteke to be paired, neither would either accept being on the bench so a no goer if ever there was a chance of it ever happening.
No question Benteke will be the main striker, so what it needs is a player who can complement eachother should we play with Two strikers or someone who could play off or just behind the main striker.
If there is an Arsenal player we could temp that would fit our style its Theo Walcott, which maybe worth an enquiry at a fee of say 18-22m maybe? and he could play the "10" role or if Newcastle came back in and Townsend was to be sold, then he could also play the wide role, but most important he scores goals on a regular basis which would be an added bonus.
Walcott couldn't play the number 10 role.

Nigelbrag
30-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Walcott couldn't play the number 10 role.

Why?

Do you realise 10 is just a number, it does not have to be a midfielder role, but a deep laying striker behind the main striker 4-4-1-1

CP-RJW
30-06-2017, 03:16 PM
Why?

Do you realise 10 is just a number, it does not have to be a midfielder role, but a deep laying striker behind the main striker 4-4-1-1
Sorry I think I phrased it badly: making Walcott our number 10 wouldn't work. He's fast and a decent finisher, that's all. If he was the sort of number 10 who could link up play effectively and drop deep to support the midfield then it'd be worthwhile, but he's not. A 2 man midfield would leave us far too exposed, unless Frank digs us up a Kante. Also, I believe for us to actually evolve as a team and start playing progressive football which can break teams down who park the bus against us, we need a quality creative player in midfield. In order for that to happen, a 3 man midfield is best.

Se9 eagles
30-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Handsome git always scores against us. But as others have said, not the sort of striker we need.

What?Have you seen the hooter on it:eek:?

regal_eagle
04-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Following some 'to-ing and fro-ing', Giroud stating his desire to stay, it looks like Everton are going to make a more concerted effort to sign him for 20Mil.

(It is in the Mirror, mind)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-olivier-giroud-arsenal-transfer-10738120

Wycombe Eagle#2
04-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Arsenal fans really are the strangest bunch. His record is very good and speaks for itself. A player who gets you 20 goals a season is not to be sniffed at but probably out of our range with so many other areas neesing addressing.

cpfcfan1
04-07-2017, 08:12 PM
He's class, don't think he'll be going Everton

CharlieCPFC
04-07-2017, 08:12 PM
Absolutely class player, but too similar to Benteke in my eyes and an age where we can't throw 20M with no resale value.

If we're going for a forward it has to be someone young, energetic and with a natural goal scorers instinct like Iheanacho.

regal_eagle
04-07-2017, 08:17 PM
I'd agree with all of the above.

Arsenal do not rate him to the level they should. 69 Goals, 27 Assists in 164 games is not a bad record, considering 46 he was subbed on and 45 subbed off. 20Mil seems like a steal in the current market, but yes, he probably is too similar to Tekkers.

cantspell
04-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Why?

You need a thinking error footballer to play that role and Walcott is an instinctive player- he'd be like Gayle was when holloway played him in that role

CP-RJW
04-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Arsenal fans really are the strangest bunch. His record is very good and speaks for itself. A player who gets you 20 goals a season is not to be sniffed at but probably out of our range with so many other areas neesing addressing.
With the amount of chances Arsenal create, if they had an Ibra, a Costa or an Aguero up front, that'd be 30 goals. Giroud's Arsenal career has also seemed very streaky, will have 10 games where he's deadly and then ten when he's a donkey missing sitter after sitter. Not that he wouldn't be our best player besides Wilf if he came here though.

regal_eagle
04-07-2017, 08:49 PM
You need a thinking error footballer to play that role and Walcott is an instinctive player- he'd be like Gayle was when holloway played him in that role

How many Important goals have you seen Theo score though?

It's usually the second or third in a 2/3-0 victory from what I've seen. If he hadn't been under Wenger I'd say he's been painfully mismanaged for the last few years. Maybe it's just his mentality.

regal_eagle
04-07-2017, 08:56 PM
With the amount of chances Arsenal create, if they had an Ibra, a Costa or an Aguero up front, that'd be 30 goals. Giroud's Arsenal career has also seemed very streaky, will have 10 games where he's deadly and then ten when he's a donkey missing sitter after sitter. Not that he wouldn't be our best player besides Wilf if he came here though.

Fair comment, whether he'd be our best player is up to debate though.

Benteke's 17 goals last season in a mis-firing team might even be more impressive than Girouds 20. And THAT chip vs Chelsea has Tekkers in my good books for a long time! Most enjoyable (and audacious) goal I saw live last season I think.

cantspell
04-07-2017, 09:20 PM
How many Important goals have you seen Theo score though?

It's usually the second or third in a 2/3-0 victory from what I've seen. If he hadn't been under Wenger I'd say he's been painfully mismanaged for the last few years. Maybe it's just his mentality.

My point was that he is not a number 10 - I would agree with the rest of your post - think I can remember him scoring first v Liverpool once though.

Sir.S.C Remembered
05-07-2017, 02:34 AM
We play 1 upfront, that is Benteke. Wickham as backup. Unless he is being sold then Giroud would not fit at all. With this in mind, any second signing would surely have to be a significantly different option type.

If we did sell Benteke I'd prefer a younger signing too.

JDawg
10-07-2017, 12:37 PM
We need another striker if Benteke and a fragile Wickham as backup is our only option.

New LP
10-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Crazy that some don't think that Giroud is good enough for us.

Bipe
10-07-2017, 12:48 PM
I think it's more the fact that he comes across as something of a preening arsehole who seems more bothered about how precisely his facial hair is trimmed than putting a shift in to close down a full back. Not my type of player I have to admit although I dare say he would score plenty with us given the right service from the wings.

Thefunkymonk
10-07-2017, 12:51 PM
Crazy that some don't think that Giroud is good enough for us.

He is more than good enough.. just very similar to Benteke so pointless really

macstar
10-07-2017, 12:58 PM
id snap him up. Gonna sort his vanity out though lol

dowieslovechild
10-07-2017, 01:02 PM
As good a player as Benteke (and better with the ball at his feet). Knows exactly where the goal is. Proven in the PL. Play him and he'll score. 20m? Cheap at the price. Would love him at Palace.

Happy Arthur
10-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Clearly good enough for us. The problem you have is promising 1st team football to benteke and giroud.

Zulu84
10-07-2017, 03:03 PM
I think it's more the fact that he comes across as something of a preening arsehole who seems more bothered about how precisely his facial hair is trimmed than putting a shift in to close down a full back. Not my type of player I have to admit although I dare say he would score plenty with us given the right service from the wings.

Don't agree with that, despite the stereotypes he is a physical striker that gives CBs problems and is not afraid to stick his head in. We would be luck to have him, but can't see it happening as he still has a lot to offer clubs chasing champions league etc

mroakley9
10-07-2017, 03:04 PM
best hair in the ******* game

Owngoal
10-07-2017, 04:36 PM
Anyone getting him will have a proven goal scorer at the top of his form. Arsenal should hang onto him as one injury and your season is gone. When dropped just got on with getting himself back into consideration. Great attitude

CP-RJW
10-07-2017, 04:53 PM
What about the fella in your profile picture?

Martin H
10-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Crikey he scores for fun at Selhurst and so could be an unbelievable buy :)

wedgetail
10-07-2017, 05:06 PM
He wants to leave Arsenal to be first choice. I see a problem.

Martin H
10-07-2017, 05:14 PM
He wants to leave Arsenal to be first choice. I see a problem.

Not a bad option of someone steals Big Ben though.....

brooklynlou
10-07-2017, 06:34 PM

Bamford's was more luxurious and sparkly ....

http://i65.tinypic.com/a3jnlc.png

Martin H
11-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Not worth starting another thread but looks like the 'Ox' will be leaving the Emirates Stadium too this summer. Expected him to be on the 'target lists somewhere'. DOn't expect him to come more that I thought he would be mentioned.

But as unlikely as Giroud I think.