PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: McArthur to Villa?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Naboo
01-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Small mention in the daily mail (I know)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4657310/John-Terry-opens-formal-talks-Aston-Villa.html

A player that we should be getting fully fit and 100% be looking to keep in my opinion.

Thefunkymonk
01-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Depends how much they offer.

Love jimmy Mac. But 8-10m and I would prob sell and let FDB reinvest

Beneaglee
01-07-2017, 07:36 PM
I personally thought he was shocking the second half of the season when he came back from his injury.

Naboo
01-07-2017, 07:37 PM

Plus Jedi in part exchange?? 😍😍

Not sure if Jimmy Mac played for Bruce at Wigan or if they just missed each other.

mpfn
01-07-2017, 07:39 PM
It looked like he was playing with an injury towards the end of the season.
Fit, he's a big asset .

SmokeyStover7
01-07-2017, 07:58 PM
Last year was a down season for him, but he was our best player the previous two seasons. I hope he comes back fit and ready to go. It is not like we have quality depth in midfield and he should fit into FDB's high intensity pressing game.

SmokeyStover7
01-07-2017, 07:59 PM
And he wouldn't need to drop down a division. He is clearly PL quality.

Shipp Ahoy!
01-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Have Villa got 10-15m???

cpfc4evandeva
01-07-2017, 08:09 PM

That's how I see it. I like the bloke but he has just had a pretty meh season.

Woosie
01-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Simon Jones (who wrote it) gets his info from agents. Doesn't mean to say it's not accurate, but worth considering.

I'd also sell for 8-10m if offered. Love the guy but that would be the right sort of price.

Groinstrain
01-07-2017, 08:23 PM
Think we need to likes of Jimmy Mac to stick around....if it all goes tits up again we need his sort to dig deep and get us out of trouble....

AJ
01-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Sadly been poor for the last 12 months. Knackered by ht in the games he started. This was really obvious when SA came in as while Cabaye, who was also unfit managed to improve his fitness but McArthur didn't.

dave_who_ru
01-07-2017, 08:48 PM
30 in October but undroppable in his first two seasons with us. Despite a relatively poor season he was still our third highest scorer with 5 league goals.

We have already lost 6 players from the 25 man from the second half of last season and still have 'fringe' players like Chungy and Sako making up the numbers.

As always he stays until we find someone younger and better but there are others that need offloading and replacing before him.

wawman_15
01-07-2017, 08:59 PM
8 million isn't enough that's pathetic for a player of his quality. Very versatile midfielder and good quality to have in the squad. Our form dropped when he got injured last year.

eagleborn
01-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Very very good squad player. To sell him would be to weaken the squad massively at a time that we are already short on quality.

RisZero
01-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if we need to sell some, easier to find buyers for the decent. Dont think he gets into the starting 11 right now if Cabaye is staying

GreatGonzo
01-07-2017, 09:21 PM
Wasn't he out 3rd highest scorer last season behind Benteke and Zaha?

A few short memories perhaps?

arabian eagle
01-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Mistake to sell. Scores goals and sets them up. If fit capable of high pressing game. An pass still a rarity in our squad. Also what could we get for 10 million?

RisZero
01-07-2017, 09:33 PM
Wasn't he out 3rd highest scorer last season behind Benteke and Zaha?

A few short memories perhaps?

All in 2016, half in games we lost anyway, and then didnt get a look in under the better manager under a period where we played vastly better?

Arbroath Eagle
01-07-2017, 09:33 PM
I love McArthur, but admittedly by his high standards he didn't have a great season but that was mainly due to injury. I hope we keep him. Being a Scot, I want as many Scottish players playing in the Premier League rather than the Championship and surely he is PL quality still.

meee
01-07-2017, 09:34 PM
A lot of people were saying how much better some players looked under Allardyce,particularly defenders.I think McArthur was one of the (possibly few) players that were better under Pardew.I think he preferred the role more.However,his injuries have clearly affected his game.

prizesucker
01-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Big big Yes from me! Sell!!!!

Older, much slower, getting injured more frequently & only a year left on his contract so last chance to recoup any sort of money for him.

Wasn't trusted by Allardyce, barely featured under him & results picked up when he wasn't in the side. With ledley & flamini already gone, selling mcarthur could help fund De Boer to bring in younger, quicker, better quality & fitter midfielders.

Spindle
01-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Cannot believe some think moving him on for 8m quid is acceptable. Nuts.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
01-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Has been a good player, but overrated by many on here. Although he has value to the team, he's by no means irreplaceable and the type of player who can't be improved upon with the right kind of new signing.

The fact that there might be 'others who need offloading before him' is irrelevant if they have no transfer value/appeal.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
01-07-2017, 09:52 PM
I'd be tempted to sell for a sensible offer. 6/7m. Going I. To the last year of his contract and probably won't be a regular starter - we may be able to get a decent younger player with that cash.

RisZero
01-07-2017, 09:56 PM
I have no idea what a good price would be, but if we have to sell to bring in someone better for the team then Ill understand. Ultimately thats the key here, not just selling him on but investing that money in improvements.

cpfcben
01-07-2017, 09:57 PM
he was our best player for the first 4 months of last season and was also scoring. If he can reach that level then there is no way we should sell. A little pocket rocket.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
01-07-2017, 09:57 PM
I just think FDB will want to bring some of his own players in, so we need to make space for them and fund them. Would be happy to keep him but if it's a good offer for a player in the final year of his contract, then we may be wise to sell.

TWELLSEagle
01-07-2017, 09:58 PM
No way he should leave and no way villa could afford him.

thereichstuff
01-07-2017, 09:58 PM
We need him . We've released a few players and they need replacing before we let more go .

elgin eagle
01-07-2017, 10:09 PM
We need him . We've released a few players and they need replacing before we let more go .

Not only that, we have 3 long term injured and 5 long term deadwood. That leaves 17 players. Would be leaving ourselves very light if we sold him. Tell Bruce to feck off.

Beatleboy
01-07-2017, 11:02 PM
When fit he is an excellent player. I hope that we don't sell him.

Mr Palace
01-07-2017, 11:07 PM
I'd like him to stay but he might be one of those that gets sacrificed in order for FDB to bring in midfielders who are better in possession.

girvinator
01-07-2017, 11:52 PM
Wouldn't accept anything less than what we paid for him.

SmokeyStover7
01-07-2017, 11:59 PM
I'd like him to stay but he might be one of those that gets sacrificed in order for FDB to bring in midfielders who are better in possession.

He is excellent in possession.

Ian Hart
02-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Why would our new manager sell anyone he hasn't seen in action yet? I can't see us shipping any players out until they're back in training, he has had the opportunity to watch them and work with them, and then formed some sort of view as to whether or not he feels they have a role to play

RisZero
02-07-2017, 12:39 AM
Why would our new manager sell anyone he hasn't seen in action yet?

1 - He has seen them in action, via footage

2 - By the time he has given everyone enough time to see them fully in person he may well have missed out on the targets he wants to take the team forward

Kidofwonder
02-07-2017, 01:02 AM
He's technically solid but looks bad under an organised,disciplined manager because he doesn't really do any one thing exceptionally but can do a good job in most CM variations. he's a link man/high quality extra midfielder and I think we've moved past being able to do that tactically.

Kidofwonder
02-07-2017, 01:03 AM
he'd piss it in the championship though, far too good for that level

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
02-07-2017, 01:34 AM
Wouldnt be surprised if we need to sell some, easier to find buyers for the decent. Dont think he gets into the starting 11 right now if Cabaye is staying

Maybe not but we need more than eleven players and Jimmy Mac is one of the few midfielders we have that might score a goal at present.

For me, he's now like Scott Dann in that he has gone from indispensable to a fringe player after the players that have come in and will likely come in. But we should keep both for at least another season as, with prices what they have become, to replace them with even the same quality is likely to cost more than what we'd get, especially in new player wage demands.

I hope no one thinks we should lose players like McArthur without first securing replacement. Look what happened to our midfield in the first half of last season until Jedinak was belatedly replaced by Luka. And we let Gayle go and was left with only Campbell and two perennially injury-prone players as back up. Had Benteke gotten injured, we'd be having conversations right now about who we can keep hold of in the Championship.

We were damn lucky to survive the gaping holes in our squad last year and selling solid squad players like McArthur smacks of the same stupidity, if not arrogance, for a team that squeaked to safety yet again and has actually been on a season-by-season downhill trend. Make no mistake, we're not too good for the likes of Jimmy Mac in our squad.

Bones14
02-07-2017, 01:57 AM
IMHO, in a structured side he struggles to play his role well. He can be a bit of a headless chook running around giving maximum effort, which is admirable, but not what the structure requires.
He'd be one of the few with any resale value so for me, he's more a makeweight than a requirement in selling.

kilkennyjim
02-07-2017, 01:59 AM
In a fdb side mcarthur won't feature so sell if a good offer cones in

gamesmeister
02-07-2017, 02:24 AM
Simon Jones (who wrote it) gets his info from agents. Doesn't mean to say it's not accurate, but worth considering.

I'd also sell for 8-10m if offered. Love the guy but that would be the right sort of price.

That might be his market value but why would you sell him? It's just another player we would then have to find a replacement for

We shouldn't sell a player unless we're offered more than we think they're worth, or the player is surplus to requirements.

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
02-07-2017, 02:27 AM
In a fdb side mcarthur won't feature so sell if a good offer cones in

We've got rid of Flamini and Ledley, without replacement. We also need DM cover, ST cover, another GK, a passing CB ( that some want us to spend 30M on ) and an AM who's truly worth a damn. That's a lot.

On top, we also seem to be a club willing to actually abide by FFP rules so are probably hamstrung in our spending commitments. Considering all this; is replacing a proven squad player who has been as good as anyone over the last three years really that vital a requirement? Don't we have more pressing transfer business to attend to?

Mickey Gilley
02-07-2017, 06:34 AM
Yes, thats exactly right. Selling McArthur would leave our squad very short of central midfielders. It would unnecessaily create an issue that we would need to spend time fixing when we already have plenty of other areas that need strengthening.

jimos_uk
02-07-2017, 06:46 AM
McArthur is the kind of player who adds value by being very active, conservative with the ball, and harrying the opposition. As he gets older, that effectiveness is going to dip.

That said, although somewhere between 8-12m is probably his value, if he can get himself back to the form he himself admitted that he didn't have last year, he's worth more to the club than that, and to replace would cost just as much.

Unless we've got our eye on someone abroad who fits the bill. I can't see us selling unless we've got a replacement signed up.

sky dancer
02-07-2017, 07:02 AM
It's simple, what comes in has to better than what goes out.

Mark Bright said that.

Kinda ruins threads like this.

Billyd
02-07-2017, 07:32 AM
Big sam said he and dann were both injured from jan till the end of the season. These are 2 of our best players.... The memories of some on here.

elgin eagle
02-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Maybe not but we need more than eleven players and Jimmy Mac is one of the few midfielders we have that might score a goal at present.

For me, he's now like Scott Dann in that he has gone from indispensable to a fringe player after the players that have come in and will likely come in. But we should keep both for at least another season as, with prices what they have become, to replace them with even the same quality is likely to cost more than what we'd get, especially in new player wage demands.

I hope no one thinks we should lose players like McArthur without first securing replacement. Look what happened to our midfield in the first half of last season until Jedinak was belatedly replaced by Luka. And we let Gayle go and was left with only Campbell and two perennially injury-prone players as back up. Had Benteke gotten injured, we'd be having conversations right now about who we can keep hold of in the Championship.

We were damn lucky to survive the gaping holes in our squad last year and selling solid squad players like McArthur smacks of the same stupidity, if not arrogance, for a team that squeaked to safety yet again and has actually been on a season-by-season downhill trend. Make no mistake, we're not too good for the likes of Jimmy Mac in our squad.

Spot on. Bruce is no fool either. McArthur isn't deadwood, he's just been injured.

Friskey
02-07-2017, 07:48 AM
If 8-10m is realistic I'd accept it. I can't believe anyone would bid that amount of money for someone about to turn 30 in the last year of their contract who has effectively missed half a season through injury.

I think FDB could spend the money on a younger player who is just as good and likely better.

AddoWolz
02-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Would be a massive mistake to get rid of Jimmy Mc , proven premier league player , box to box , top work rate and chips in with a few goals , yes we need to bring in more talented midfieders but selling McArthur would be a mistake .

dave_who_ru
02-07-2017, 07:57 AM
On top, we also seem to be a club willing to actually abide by FFP rules so are probably hamstrung in our spending commitments. Considering all this; is replacing a proven squad player who has been as good as anyone over the last three years really that vital a requirement? Don't we have more pressing transfer business to attend to?

We are not constrained by FFP rules i.e. the amount of losses we can make over a 3 year period. We are constrained by the wage cap (Short Term Cost Control).

I don't believe any Premier League club (ignoring these who broke the rules whilst in the Championship) has broken the rules.

Billyd
02-07-2017, 08:00 AM
More goals, more assists (open play), more tackles and covers more ground than Cabaye.

Trouble is ones called Yohan and other called James.

Friskey
02-07-2017, 08:03 AM
More goals, more assists (open play), more tackles and covers more ground than Cabaye.

I'd accept the money for him as well. Similar situation. I probably wouldn't let both go but either or is fine by me.

Happy Arthur
02-07-2017, 08:22 AM
An equivalent player would cost atleast 15m and twice the wages. However if we're going to keep him I guess he'll sign a 2 year extention which will bump up his wages abit. Still represents good value and a very good option to start or cover.

Friskey
02-07-2017, 08:34 AM
An equivalent player would cost atleast 15m and twice the wages. However if we're going to keep him I guess he'll sign a 2 year extention which will bump up his wages abit. Still represents good value and a very good option to start or cover.

Not if we buy from Europe it won't. If we keep signing from English clubs then sure.

Worksop Palace
02-07-2017, 08:39 AM
I really like JM. Goes about his business with little fuss or theatrics. On his day he really does make a difference to our structure

Only way I'd let him go was if we got someone in to replace him beforehand

gold76
02-07-2017, 08:47 AM
I'm similar to Workshop, Jimmy Mac is a busy tidy player, who does the simple things well and scores a fair amount of goals.

However with Luka who has proved a gem and a resurgent Cabaye, he could be at best a bench warmer and might fancy some more game time elsewhere

Stavros 69
02-07-2017, 08:48 AM
He's a quality squad player. No chance would I let him go when we're so short

Johnny Byrne
02-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Would be a massive mistake to get rid of Jimmy Mc , proven premier league player , box to box , top work rate and chips in with a few goals , yes we need to bring in more talented midfieders but selling McArthur would be a mistake .

150% Agreed.

Happy Arthur
02-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Not if we buy from Europe it won't. If we keep signing from English clubs then sure.
Do you have a list of midfielders that will hit the ground running in the Prem for less than 15m?

Nigelbrag
02-07-2017, 08:56 AM
He is one of those honest give it all type of players that every team needs, but unfortunately at the back end of the season when he returned he looked very average and seemed to have lost that edge that made his play invaluable to us.
Selling him should not be out of the question as we need to bring funds in but also allow FDB to bring in the type of player he wishes that would suit his system, but also we must ensure we get a sensible fee possibly around 8-10mil.
Or i would not be averse to a swap deal for their young very talented midfielder but has also been a problem player but who's name i cant recall, he switched from Ireland to England and was on the verge of being called up by England around 2 years ago, it maybe a change of club and manager especially FDB's style of play could reignite his career, could suit Both clubs? worth a try.

hedge end eagle
02-07-2017, 08:57 AM
He is one of those honest give it all type of players that every team needs, but unfortunately at the back end of the season when he returned he looked very average and seemed to have lost that edge that made his play invaluable to us.
Selling him should not be out of the question as we need to bring funds in but also allow FDB to bring in the type of player he wishes that would suit his system, but also we must ensure we get a sensible fee possibly around 8-10mil.
Or i would not be averse to a swap deal for their young very talented midfielder but has also been a problem player but who's name i cant recall, he switched from Ireland to England and was on the verge of being called up by England around 2 years ago, it maybe a change of club and manager especially FDB's style of play could reignite his career, could suit Both clubs? worth a try.

Jack grealish?

mushroom
02-07-2017, 09:10 AM
His game is based on energy and fitness... he is probably at a age where we can still get a decent fee.

Friskey
02-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Do you have a list of midfielders that will hit the ground running in the Prem for less than 15m?

No but we may have just appointed a man who does.

There's loads of Luka's out there. If we keep signing over priced players from England we'll continue to have relegation battles.

Nigelbrag
02-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Jack grealish?

Thanks, that's the boy.
Very talented but troublesome lad, but as i mentioned a change of scenery could do the trick and we could end up with a gem.

Friskey
02-07-2017, 09:13 AM
His game is based on energy and fitness... he is probably at a age where we can still get a decent fee.

Exactly. He walks away for free next season or we give him a longer contract and in a couple of seasons we'll have an aging midfielder on big wages that we can't shift.

Mr Palace
02-07-2017, 09:23 AM
He is excellent in possession.

He's really not.

TC EAGLE
02-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Jimmy Mac needs to stay end of, had a rough time last season like Dann due to injury but is still a top class player.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
02-07-2017, 09:33 AM

He's worth a lot more now, but Dele Alli cost Spurs 5m.

Stockport_Eagle
02-07-2017, 09:52 AM
We're no good at possession football and want to play possession football.

The current players who can't do it are not suddenly going to master it at 30 years old.

If we're going to change then old favourites will leave. If we're bringing the average age down, old favourites will leave.

Buying players age 21-24 is all about selling them at 25-27 for a profit. Balancing the transfer budget is on the agenda.

All this means 10-15m for McArthur is likely to be accepted.

FMH57
02-07-2017, 10:29 AM

The reason you can't recall Jack Grealish's name is that he went from being thought of as the the next Paul Gascoigne (by certain people in the FA) to being a player who struggled to get into a very poor first team at Villa in less than 18 months. If the FA had spent time courting the like of Zaha, rather than the considerable time courting Grealish, people may have started thinking that the FA have some understanding of what it takes to be a successful international footballer.
Mcarthur is a very experienced Premier player , Grealish is a failed Premiership/Championship "highlight" player . Why would we swap ?

cranesparkeagle
02-07-2017, 11:05 AM
MacArthur as cover for Luka is fine by me. We have our DM cover right here. I go back to the Man U game. When Pardew decided to sub MacArthur late on Man U poured straight through the area he was covering and Rooney scored

cpfcben
02-07-2017, 11:11 AM
MacArthur as cover for Luka is fine by me. We have our DM cover right here. I go back to the Man U game. When Pardew decided to sub MacArthur late on Man U poured straight through the area he was covering and Rooney scored

6/8 but not a 4.

CharlieCPFC
02-07-2017, 11:27 AM
No but we may have just appointed a man who does.

There's loads of Luka's out there. If we keep signing over priced players from England we'll continue to have relegation battles.

Exactly.

Jeff Hendrick for 10M or Luka for the same fee? Bit of a no brainer ain't it?

There's a whole list of quality players across the continent who'd be willing to jump at the chance of playing at this level at a much more reasonable cost.

How do the likes of Benfica and Roma etc consistently prove to be top clubs when they sign players who are much lesser known. They have a top recruitment setup who are financially not even as strong as ourselves. I mean we signed Cabaye over Roma's interest.

Benfica's players they've signed on and sold on for big profit is unreal over the years. It's about the recruitment and development in a set way of playing. Hopefully now with five years at this level that's the approach we're looking to go towards to establish ourselves long term.

Pete79
02-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Mcarthur is a very experienced Premier player , Grealish is a failed Premiership/Championship "highlight" player . Why would we swap ?

This is a good question. McArthur has been a good PL midfielder, with good character but will be 30 this year. He's only goning to get slower and stuggle to fullfil the box-box style of play that saw him score more goals than our attacking midfielder despite playing less games. Puncheon and Cabaye are also in their 30's. We need to get younger and better in midfield. If the clubs ambitions, particularly for next season, are to avoid relegation and nothing more I would have McArthur in the squad rather than Grealish and its not even close.But if our club wants to be able to play a different way and compete in the league and cups we need to get younger and better in midfield. How can we afford it? One way is to buy 'projects' who may represent a big problem but also potentially be very good, and far too expensive, for us to buy the finished product. Jack Grealish and Ravel Morrison fit into this catagory.
Given that we need two more midfielders and that they should, you would hope, be better than McArthur, it stands to reason that McArthur won't be getting many games this season. At which point swapping him for Grealish with no extra cost, should that be an option, might not be a bad idea. At worst Grealish fails and has cost us a player who wouldn't be playing much anyway and at best he fullfills his potential and we have a quality PL player in his early twenties.

Danny boy
02-07-2017, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure what McArthur is good at anymore tbh. Too lightweight and small to play as a defensive midfielder like Luka, doesn't bring much creativity to the side and seems to have lost a lot of pace after the injury.

Sell and bring in a younger midfielder.

jimmy the gent
02-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Thanks, that's the boy.
Very talented but troublesome lad, but as i mentioned a change of scenery could do the trick and we could end up with a gem.

Feel sorry for the lad. Was playing great, involved in the Ireland set up, then England got involved and claimed him, and since then it seems to have gone to his head and his form has nose dived. Get the feeling if he'd just opted to stay with Ireland, he wouldn't have lost his way so badly.

Pete79
02-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Cabaye has just one less goal despite playinng further back than McArthur and the same number of assists. He also has a higher passing accuracy (78%-80%), more interceptions/game (2.2 intercepts/game compared to 0.9 for McArthur) and less fouls, per game (1 for Cabaye to 1.4 for McArthur). Cabaye also has 1.1 'key passes'/game wheras McArhur has 0.6.

They play different positions with different responsibilities. Who will be a better fit for FdB system and tactics. I think possibly Cabaye and it has nothing to do with his name.

RisZero
02-07-2017, 11:57 AM

The only problem with this logic is that it sounds like you are implying the funds cant possibly be used to bring someone who is an improvement in. I dont think anyone is suggesting we sell him and just pocket the money.

jhc
02-07-2017, 12:00 PM
It wasn't long ago he'd be the first name on the team sheet.
Some have short memories.
Has had his injury problems, but that doesn't mean he can't/won't return to his top form.

Thefunkymonk
02-07-2017, 12:03 PM
It wasn't long ago he'd be the first name on the team sheet.
Some have short memories.
Has had his injury problems, but that doesn't mean he can't/won't return to his top form.

Don't think anyone disagrees.

Issue is we are going to need to evolve.. and that start ether the midfield. I love jimmy mac and ideally don't want him to go.. but if we get 8-10m for him in his last year of his contract as he's approaching 30 that allows FDB to upgrade that position then I wouldn't be upset about it. Ideally I would want someone in better than him first

RisZero
02-07-2017, 12:06 PM

Issue is we are going to need to evolve.. and that start ether the midfield. I love jimmy mac and ideally don't want him to go.. but if we get 8-10m for him in his last year of his contract as he's approaching 30 that allows FDB to upgrade that position then I wouldn't be upset about it. Ideally I would want someone in better than him first

Pretty much spot on

CaterhamEagle
02-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Don't forget Ledley has already gone so we need another player in midfield as it is. I would absolutely keep Jimmy Mac. De Boer likes to press and win the ball back early. Would argue along with Cabaye that McArthur is the best at this, and he is also both a good passer and a good finisher. Would absolutely keep. Best player behind Wilf before injury at the start of the season.

Ralph
02-07-2017, 12:16 PM
One of our better players when fully fit. Would be a negative move to get rid unless it was because we're spending a huge amount to face lift the squad.

Kirby
02-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Definitely think JM still has an important part to play in the squad, but if Villa offer silly money I can see why we'd be interested.

He's gone from a certain starter to a bench player behind Luka and Yohan.

exiledeagle
02-07-2017, 12:30 PM
His injury started the latter part of 2015-2016 season . Remember Millen saying we had to manage his injury carefully . J M would always have been first on teamsheet in midfield , but he looks shadow of the player he was .

Thefunkymonk
02-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Don't forget Ledley has already gone so we need another player in midfield as it is. I would absolutely keep Jimmy Mac. De Boer likes to press and win the ball back early. Would argue along with Cabaye that McArthur is the best at this, and he is also both a good passer and a good finisher. Would absolutely keep. Best player behind Wilf before injury at the start of the season.

Again I agree.. however if it means we improve then needs must. Jimmy Mac has been one of our best players.. but if his injuries are not going to go away.. and we for. Want to offer new contract then it makes sense to cash in while he's an asset.

mushroom
02-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Cabaye has just one less goal despite playinng further back than McArthur and the same number of assists. He also has a higher passing accuracy (78%-80%), more interceptions/game (2.2 intercepts/game compared to 0.9 for McArthur) and less fouls, per game (1 for Cabaye to 1.4 for McArthur). Cabaye also has 1.1 'key passes'/game wheras McArhur has 0.6.

They play different positions with different responsibilities. Who will be a better fit for FdB system and tactics. I think possibly Cabaye and it has nothing to do with his name.

I'd cash in on both.

Old Bill
02-07-2017, 12:48 PM
He's both a very good player and a never-give-up sort of character who you need if things aren't going too well. It would be a mistake to sell him I think.

Dannea
02-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Should not sell General, people making judgements on poor form when he never recovered from injury fully. And injured General was better than a fit Ledley. I feel we are one short at CM in relation to numbers and cover so selling General would require 2 new additions in that position.

Happy Arthur
02-07-2017, 01:04 PM
I guess he can agree bosman terms in February. He can only really stay if a new contract is agreed at palace .

jimos_uk
02-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Heard this is paper talk. Contract situation is ongoing, but no one sees a mad rush.

(Source, my Folk's neighbour! ;) )

Vince Hilaire's Afro
02-07-2017, 04:46 PM

The one called 'James' also had a far worse FA Cup final than the one called Yohan, but the one called Yohan got all the abuse

Gyro1780
02-07-2017, 04:57 PM
Don't really want him to leave but if we can get a good offer & replace him before letting him leave i'd be ok with that.

elgin eagle
02-07-2017, 05:06 PM
Heard this is paper talk. Contract situation is ongoing, but no one sees a mad rush.

(Source, my Folk's neighbour! ;) )

Good stuff. Only really have Luka and Cabaye in central midfield. Obviously using 'only' in its loosest term :)

Timbo
02-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Don't really want him to leave but if we can get a good offer & replace him before letting him leave i'd be ok with that.

But we probably wont replace him before he leaves and efforts to replace him will take time and money that could maybe be better spent on other positions

Chief Brody
02-07-2017, 05:31 PM
Get rid? 8-10m?

LOL. No.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
02-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Jimmy Mac has been superb for us but it is down to de Boer if he wants to keep him or not as is the case with every player

mb23
02-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Remember the outrage when we sold Scannell and Ambrose. The season we let them go didn't end up too badly.

If the new manager can get his own players in that will improve the team, then I've can understand the logic in letting squad players leave.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
02-07-2017, 05:46 PM
Remember the outrage when we sold Scannell and Ambrose. The season we let them go didn't end up too badly.

If the new manager can get his own players in that will improve the team, then I've can understand the logic in letting squad players leave.
Same with Murray. Did we miss him a few times when we had injuries? Yes. But it was still a sensible move in the long-term (just a shame he ended up back with Brighton).

Eagle's Away
02-07-2017, 06:15 PM

Completely agree.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
02-07-2017, 09:35 PM
We also have an aging midfield. Punch and Cabaye are both 31 (I think) - we need to get some younger legs in there. So if selling Jimmy funds (or contributes towards) a new, younger CM signing then I think it would probably be wise.

danpalace07
03-07-2017, 01:25 AM
For the right price and assuming Frank could find a replacement at least as good but more comfortable in a disciplined possession team I would consider selling. Think I'll trust the club on this one and go with the flow.

Hector
03-07-2017, 07:09 AM
12-15m then I'd take it, he was really poor at the end of last season. maybe a rest and a good pre-season would be bring him back to his best when he would be an asset. Not sure I see him starting

costello
03-07-2017, 07:38 AM
People have such short memories. One of our best performers for the first half of last season. Highly unlikely we would get more than 5-6m for him and would be very hard to replace at that price.

glenn.f
03-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Not convinced now is the time to sell him. Should a couple of more cultured signings come in during this window, then maybe take a decent bid for him. With a decent pre-season behind him a fully fit and firing McArthur may thrive in a De Boer side but only the manager will know that at this stage. The least Jimmy Mac deserves is that us as supporters are behind him after his efforts in the last couple of years. Reckon January will be more obvious on where we stand with him.

eagle-leg
03-07-2017, 08:27 AM
McArthur was one of my favourite players, but second half of the season cabaye demonstated what he was capable of and mcarthur unfortunately showed his limitations.

costello
03-07-2017, 08:31 AM
McArthur was one of my favourite players, but second half of the season cabaye demonstated what he was capable of and mcarthur unfortunately showed his limitations.
He wasn't fit.

WashDCEagle
03-07-2017, 10:44 AM
I like Jimmy as a rotational player. Seeing as how Cabaye rarely goes 90 minutes, we'll probably need to keep him at Palace. For the right price, sure we could sell him. I think that price is probably around 9-10m. Good player, just wouldn't want him starting for an extended period.

Lombardo's hair
03-07-2017, 10:47 AM
People have such short memories. One of our best performers for the first half of last season. Highly unlikely we would get more than 5-6m for him and would be very hard to replace at that price.

Agree. He was pivotal to us getting points until pardew took him off late in a game. EG MIan U at home. And others like Swansea away. Coincidental maybe but seemed too regular to be that

Ifill Over
03-07-2017, 11:26 AM
One of our consistent performers, Last half of last season his engine looked broke. Perhaps he is past his best and needs to drop down a division if he wants to start games. He would go with my best wishes for the right money.

averity
03-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Be interesting to know how many goal line clearances he has made for us, first half of the season he was my poty.

GanbareWashi
03-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Need to keep him at the very least for the bench. But we do need an additional CM as well.

Thefunkymonk
03-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Need to keep him at the very least for the bench. But we do need an additional CM as well.

This is the ideal.

OriginalNutter
03-07-2017, 12:24 PM

^this.

He scored a few headers too!

RisZero
03-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Totally aside from if he should stay or be sold, can I suggest the "people have short memories" crew actually do some fact checking?

McArthur scored 5 goals and provided 2 assists last season.

Of those, only one goal and one assist actually contributed to winning us more points (both in the same game, 2:3 vs Sunderland, 24/09/16). Every other goal and assist was in a game where we either comfortably won by a margin anyway, or got completely decimated.

These 3 points were not the difference in us staying up, rather just whatever additional prize money there is between 14th and 17th.

I accept this is a rather naive way of looking at the situation, not every key contribution is an assist, and if you pull him out of the past who knows what happens, but the same is very true about just reading off his goal tally alone as if every last one was solid gold.

Perfectly happy for him to stay, just as ill completely understand if the club feels he has to go to fund and make way for someone worth more than 3 points this coming season and with less liability to get injured.

03-07-2017, 01:52 PM
Can we just give Villa Mutch instead for that price? They wont notice.

Harry Bassett
03-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Can we just give Villa Mutch instead for that price? They wont notice.

Oh yes they will:sob:

Bizarro
03-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Keep him, we need a strong squad and if he's not going to start he's definitely a good player to have on the bench.

Nostrils
03-07-2017, 02:27 PM
Keep him, we need a strong squad and if he's not going to start he's definitely a good player to have on the bench.

Yep, so often when you look at the team sheet an hour before the game there's not many you would actually choose to be there. We need players of his calibre and energy to come on.

The goals that he scored have been mentioned a few times, but for me his real value was that he was always grafting and closing the gap in midfield at a time when the others seemed, in comparison, quite static.

brooklynlou
03-07-2017, 02:28 PM

That's what the acedmy should be for ...

Pete79
03-07-2017, 02:49 PM
We currently have a first team squad of 22 (Mutch isn't listed in it). I presume that Sako and Lee are happy taking their wages each week and don't feel like taking a pay cut to play in the Champtionship (although may perhaps go on loan). Everyone else in the squad has a role to play with the possible exception of Mandanda if he really wants to go, at which point he'll be replaced with the transfer fee and wages that are freed up.

The point is we currently have a small squad and so any discussion of player sales only makes sense in the context of bringing other players in. As such, I'm happy for Parish and FdB to sell anyone (except Zaha) if they have better players lined up. McArthur on the bench is fine, but a better and younger player bought in using a transfer fee generated from McArthur's sale is surely to be preferred.

But we first need to find enough players to fill the first team squad...

orpingtoneagle
04-07-2017, 10:09 PM
he was our best player last season during our Sh*te run under pardew until he got injured...why the feck would we sell Jimmy Mac

Reg_Maudling
04-07-2017, 10:11 PM
would be sad to see him go - at least one more season please

regal_eagle
04-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Another favour for Villa?!

It's as if they're calling in some old (1905) debts...

AJ
04-07-2017, 10:16 PM
We currently have a first team squad of 22 (Mutch isn't listed in it). I presume that Sako and Lee are happy taking their wages each week and don't feel like taking a pay cut to play in the Champtionship (although may perhaps go on loan).

What kind of nonsense is that statement. Lee and Sako were either injured or not selected. They are squad players and the squad is 25, so some players are not going to make the first team. I didnt see either player show any kind of bad attitude, so i am not sure what you are implying and what your info is for making that statement.

4 cryingOutloud
04-07-2017, 10:51 PM
would be sad to see him go - at least one more season please

Please get past the sentimentality scenario. Players come and go, and I would like to think when a player leaves it's because those employed to manage and train the players and are constantly around the squad no longer see their ability in the same way, or that a better alternative to advance the club has become an option. I think we all agree that the club needs to make progressive advancement, otherwise it will just go backwards and the premiership will once again become a distant memory. :p

sydnsteve
05-07-2017, 12:22 AM
A very very good player. To let him go would be a bad decision IMHO.

Sir.S.C Remembered
05-07-2017, 02:32 AM
Indeed a very good player. Very much worth having in the squad. Positive lad, super fit, super hard working, captain material, decent technically too. Do not sell, especially not for the sort of money Villa would be able to pay, which would be max 10-15m

JDawg
06-07-2017, 06:33 AM
Not sure Villa would pay that having spunked a heap of money last summer and having to pay JTs wages.

Friskey
06-07-2017, 07:07 AM
I think people struggle with the concept of value.

He's been great but we would be mad to turn down 10-15m.

Shamone
06-07-2017, 07:15 AM
I think people struggle with the concept of value.

He's been great but we would be mad to turn down 10-15m.

And replace him with who for that much? I'm worth nearly that in today's market.

mb23
06-07-2017, 07:28 AM
We've only got three CMs (4 if you include Punch), so to let him go would be madness. We need to be bringing in CMs, not letting them go!

JDawg
06-07-2017, 07:30 AM
Why wouldn't they take Joe Ledley on a free?

Cleon
06-07-2017, 07:31 AM
If we are keeping Cabaye, then I think we should probably cash in on McArthur and replace with a younger option.

We have in Puncheon, McArthur and Cabaye three c. 30-years old players covering two roles in the centre of midfield. We need a bit more dynamism, and to bring into the mix bit of youth, so to do that realistically one of those players has to leave.

Pete79
06-07-2017, 07:34 AM
What kind of nonsense is that statement. Lee and Sako were either injured or not selected. They are squad players and the squad is 25, so some players are not going to make the first team. I didnt see either player show any kind of bad attitude, so i am not sure what you are implying and what your info is for making that statement.

I'm not sure what it is about my comment that you object to. According to the Palace website we currently have 22 players in the 25 man squad and Mutch wasn't listed - maybe it needs updating. I was detailing the state of the squad and have not commented on Lee or Sako regarding a bad attitude at all. Lee went on loan. He likely isn't in Palace's plans. I don't recall any injury to Sako and when he featured for us last season he was poor and Kaikai was seemingly favoured over him. Its not unreasonable to suggest that neither player (+ Mutch) has a future at Palace or that any of these players are obliged to accept a transfer from the club, particularly if it results in a wage cut. I think we'd all be happy if another club bought any of these players but the likelyhood of doing so is small and thus we have two (three with Mutch) players in the 25 man squad who are both surplus to requirements and unlikely to move on. Compared to previous seasons that's not a bad number.

So I didn't 'imply' anything in my comment. Perhaps you chose to assume something that wasn't actually written.

AJ
06-07-2017, 07:35 AM
Why wouldn't they take Joe Ledley on a free?

The same reason we didn't give him an extension?

Nigelbrag
06-07-2017, 07:35 AM
I agree with "Friskey" nobody would disagree that JM has been a very good player for Palace, and i have been a fan of his style of play of total commitment. But could it now be with his effectiveness on the wane very similar to what happened to Jedinak, now would be the time to sell providing we bring in a Better replacement, its called progression.
However, as for his value i would say due to age and the length of his contract left possibly 8m would be more realistic, hence why i said before to get best value is to use him in a swap deal, and i think Jack Grealish would be a good alternative to bring in, a player with undoubted talent that FDB could well rekindle again.

Worksop Palace
06-07-2017, 07:39 AM
If we are keeping Cabaye, then I think we should probably cash in on McArthur and replace with a younger option.

We have in Puncheon, McArthur and Cabaye three c. 30-years old players covering two roles in the centre of midfield. We need a bit more dynamism, and to bring into the mix bit of youth, so to do that realistically one of those players has to leave.

Are you saying you would rather keep JP than JM ?

Kai
06-07-2017, 07:40 AM
If it means raising money for a better player then I'm all for it. I think he's a great player but sometimes it's best to move on.

DARZET EAGLE
06-07-2017, 07:47 AM
And replace him with who for that much? I'm worth nearly that in today's market.

Who do you play for then?:supergrin::supergrin:

CharlieCPFC
06-07-2017, 07:53 AM

15M would get you a very tidy midfielder in Europe with more years on his side and a better understanding of what FDB wants to do.

shropfan
06-07-2017, 07:56 AM
Why wouldn't JimmyMac understand what FDB wants to do? Has he undeclared learning difficulties?

dave_who_ru
06-07-2017, 07:56 AM
We currently have a first team squad of 22 (Mutch isn't listed in it)..

If we include the players who made an appearance last season and Jonny Williams then we have a 24 man squad.

That includes Souare (still not sure how far he is along the road to recovery), Mutch (would require a significant improvement to get anywhere near the team), Chungy, Damo and Sako (all fringe), Jonny (will he finally fulfill his potential) and KaiKai (no longer qualifies as an under 21 player).

CP-RJW
06-07-2017, 08:05 AM
You're worth the same as Luka? There's players that good available for that price range in the rest of Europe.

Dave
06-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Why wouldn't JimmyMac understand what FDB wants to do? Has he undeclared learning difficulties?

Scottish [emoji20]

Martin H
06-07-2017, 08:37 AM
I think some of the negative and 'writing him off comments' are more than harsh but I do think he is likely to be sold to raise cash etc. When fully fit Macca has shown he can play an effective role in the middle and covers a huge amount of ground combining ball winning and some tidy distribution. He has even popped up with a few goals. He got injured and watching him it looked like he returned early and struggled to recover his normal match fitness. We were struggling for players and he didn't let us down.

Having said all of that, he is probably one of the candidates we have available to move on to raise some cash and make room for improvements in the middle. Just because that is the case doesn't diminish his ability and he has always been committed to the cause and deserves respect whether he stays or goes surely.

CharlieCPFC
06-07-2017, 08:45 AM

Yes

Thefunkymonk
06-07-2017, 08:56 AM
jimmy Mac, a bit like Dann, is a player that we all would like to keep without a doubt. Obviously we are just speculating about budgets, but if we do need to sell to raise funds then I can see him being sold.. but only to fund a replacement of FdB's choice. However he may impress FdB.

brighton_eagle
06-07-2017, 09:08 AM
I'd prefer to see someone come in and get settled before we lost another CM - we are short enough as it is in that position, and if we are looking at a younger player to replace him, I'd rather there was a 6 month - year crossover to give them time to adjust and settle.

However, last summer our big purchases were financed by the sales of Yala and Gayle, so I do expect at least one sale this summer to balance out the spend. I think he's worth more than 10 million though - a very experienced energetic Premier League quality central midfielder should be at least 15 million.

Adlerhorst
06-07-2017, 09:34 AM
McArthur is an odd one. if he can be an energetic midfielder then he's a player we want to keep without a doubt. But coming back from injury he wasn't that player at all. Do we gamble that the injury lead to the huge lack of fitness he displayed in the second half given he hasn't got long on his contract, or do we sell now, get some money in to put towards a replacement and let someone else take that gamble?

NateEagle
06-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Great player and grafter who we should keep. If someone offered 15m then yes you have to consider that and I would probably take it but no one is going to! I reckon we'd get offered 6-8m at most.

Stavros 69
06-07-2017, 10:07 AM
He's perfect back up, well settled. That alone Has some monetary value.
But as we have a new coach if someone offers 15m we could use that wisely.
I thought we might have learned the value of keeping a slightly bigger squad.
It leaves very short on CM's

exiledeagle
06-07-2017, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=CharlieCPFC;13719773]15M would get you a very tidy midfielder in Europe with more years on his side and a better understanding of what FDB wants to do.[/QUOTE

I agree McArthur has not looked same player since injury at end of 2015-16 season , but seems an odd comment about not understanding what FDB wants to do ?

TC EAGLE
06-07-2017, 10:46 AM
gotta be something seriously wrong if we want to offload Jimmy Mac ahead of Mutch and Lee

Martin H
06-07-2017, 10:50 AM
gotta be something seriously wrong if we want to offload Jimmy Mac ahead of Mutch and Lee

But is anyone actually suggesting that - I doubt it.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
06-07-2017, 10:55 AM
No one is going to offer decent money for Mutch or Lee and no one would match their wages. They are not really assets that would bring much in. We will probably be left with both of them until their contracts end.

IF we do need to raise funds for other signings, it is people like McArthur who still have transfer value but won't be first choice starters who are our only real options to sell.

alanlee11
06-07-2017, 11:24 AM

this. I really rate Jimmy Mac

Chief Brody
06-07-2017, 11:25 AM
No one is going to offer decent money for Mutch or Lee and no one would match their wages. They are not really assets that would bring much in. We will probably be left with both of them until their contracts end.

IF we do need to raise funds for other signings, it is people like McArthur who still have transfer value but won't be first choice starters who are our only real options to sell.

More inspired signings by Pardew.

Maidstoned Eagle
06-07-2017, 11:26 AM

No one will buy them

Palace Bear
06-07-2017, 11:57 AM

This is the problem with the BBS.... 90% of posters think that one course of action by the club means zero other actions are in progress or desired.

Eg:

Why is Steve Parish abroad he should be working on finding our new manager/signing Wilf up to a new contract (oh turns out he can do both from abroad!)

Why are we buying a full back/defensive midfielder, we should be focussing 100% of all club resources on buying a centre back/attacking midfielder (maybe we are trying to buy both but we've just heard about the other first!?).

Why do we want to sell Jimmy Mc ahead of Lee and Mutch (maybe we don't but that's just the order of interest we've had/the first rumour to surface?!).

RisZero
06-07-2017, 12:21 PM

This is like saying theres something wrong with you if you can sell a Harvey Davidson in ok shape but cannot get someone to buy your one wheeled tricycle with no seat

in-exile
06-07-2017, 12:26 PM
This is the problem with the BBS.... 90% of posters think that one course of action by the club means zero other actions are in progress or desired.

Eg:

Why is Steve Parish abroad he should be working on finding our new manager/signing Wilf up to a new contract (oh turns out he can do both from abroad!)

Why are we buying a full back/defensive midfielder, we should be focussing 100% of all club resources on buying a centre back/attacking midfielder (maybe we are trying to buy both but we've just heard about the other first!?).

Why do we want to sell Jimmy Mc ahead of Lee and Mutch (maybe we don't but that's just the order of interest we've had/the first rumour to surface?!).But it would only take ten minutes to hire the skip.

dave_who_ru
06-07-2017, 12:52 PM
We know McArthur can do a job so why risk selling him.

What we need is a replacement for Ledley. Wages for a new player (particularly foreign) won't be much more and 10m won't break the bank.

Sell McArthur and we still need 2 players.

Thefunkymonk
06-07-2017, 01:38 PM
We know McArthur can do a job so why risk selling him.

What we need is a replacement for Ledley. Wages for a new player (particularly foreign) won't be much more and 10m won't break the bank.

Sell McArthur and we still need 2 players.

To answer your first line... to get a better player?

It's all hypothetical. If FdB likes him then he'll stay. However he may want to bring his own players in and room will need to be made

Timbo
06-07-2017, 01:49 PM

It's all hypothetical. If FdB likes him then he'll stay. However he may want to bring his own players in and room will need to be made

Replacement of JMac is less crucial than numerous other positions and FdB will undoubtedly prefer not to disrupt the entire side in his first window, so for me it makes sense to keep JMac at least until we have most of the other player requirements in order

bodger
06-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Average players cost 10m to improve on JM would cost 20m+ selling him would be a bad move i would rather give Mutch and Lee away to save their wages.

PalaceSi
06-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Average players cost 10m to improve on JM would cost 20m+ selling him would be a bad move i would rather give Mutch and Lee away to save their wages.

Sadly we can't give them away with the wages they're on, we'd have to pay most of the wages too.:sob:

Jimbo ?
06-07-2017, 02:18 PM
As people have said, average players cost mega bucks these days so I can't see how we could effectively replace him.

Given we have a thread bare squad currently, I would worry about getting people in rather than who will go. Let him go and we need to replace him as well. I can't see us letting any of the main match day squad leave until we have plenty more depth to work with

dave_who_ru
06-07-2017, 02:25 PM

The point being there is room as we can still loan out players we don't need.

Also by selling it means we need two better players rather than one which is slightly easier to accomplish.

Thefunkymonk
06-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Replacement of JMac is less crucial than numerous other positions and FdB will undoubtedly prefer not to disrupt the entire side in his first window, so for me it makes sense to keep JMac at least until we have most of the other player requirements in order

Is it?

I'd argue our biggest issue is central midfield. We can break teams down that sit deep and nullify our wingers.. we need a creative midfielder.. if that means selling jimmy Mac To get one then it's a priority. And I love jimmy Mac by the way..

Thefunkymonk
06-07-2017, 02:32 PM
The point being there is room as we can still loan out players we don't need.

Also by selling it means we need two better players rather than one which is slightly easier to accomplish.

Loan isn't an option if we need to raise cash.

I'm not disagreeing with last lines.. I'm hoping we explore European market and get some reasonably priced players in

Icy
06-07-2017, 03:02 PM
No one will buy them

I can see why no one wants Mutch now after his failure last season but CYL is good enough to get into most championship squads. Cultured little footballer and i'm surprised no one is taking a punt unless he's asking silly money.

wrightchipvcfc
06-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Sadly we can't give them away with the wages they're on, we'd have to pay most of the wages too.:sob:

Mutch is a difficult one whoever gave the go ahead for that transfer realy needs to have a look at his judgement no wonder qpr fans were happy to see back of him he must be worth something in transfer market looking at what other championship players move for.let's say his on close to 2 mil a year not sure if his got 1 or 2 years left on his contract but offer him half he prob find a club somewhere to give him the other half and he can try and restart his career I can't believe any player would not want to play just train and get your money a career is short he will regret it one day. Lee I think would have offers and prob not on silly money championship china s Korea teams would have a look at him.

AJ
06-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Is it?

I'd argue our biggest issue is central midfield. We can break teams down that sit deep and nullify our wingers.. we need a creative midfielder.. if that means selling jimmy Mac To get one then it's a priority. And I love jimmy Mac by the way..
I agree our midfield is a problem. Bringing in Luca was the start, we need serious competition for both Punch and Cabaye and based on last season JM isnt that. If we need to sell JM for 8m and buy a better replacement for 15m, then that is progress in my book.

AJ
06-07-2017, 03:16 PM
I can see why no one wants Mutch now after his failure last season but CYL is good enough to get into most championship squads. Cultured little footballer and i'm surprised no one is taking a punt unless he's asking silly money.
The club needs to find a way to offload any players that are no longer any use. If that means paying the player off or subsidizing his wages, then that should be done.

4 cryingOutloud
06-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Mutch is a difficult one whoever gave the go ahead for that transfer realy needs to have a look at his judgement no wonder qpr fans were happy to see back of him he must be worth something in transfer market looking at what other championship players move for.let's say his on close to 2 mil a year not sure if his got 1 or 2 years left on his contract but offer him half he prob find a club somewhere to give him the other half and he can try and restart his career I can't believe any player would not want to play just train and get your money a career is short he will regret it one day. Lee I think would have offers and prob not on silly money championship china s Korea teams would have a look at him.

I'm convinced the club would consider a BOGO deal for Mutch and Lee. :p

Cleon
06-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Are you saying you would rather keep JP than JM ?

I'm not aware that anybody is prepared to offer 8-10M Puncheon.

It's also worth adding that McArthur is in his final year of contract, Puncheon has at least 2 more years as far as I am aware.

Also, Mutch and Lee can leave for free or nearly free if anybody will take them.

Mr Palace
06-07-2017, 04:42 PM
No one will buy Mutch. He's awful. And he's a hard Brexit, Tory voting, w*nker.

Worksop Palace
06-07-2017, 04:46 PM
I'm not aware that anybody is prepared to offer 8-10M Puncheon.

It's also worth adding that McArthur is in his final year of contract, Puncheon has at least 2 more years as far as I am aware.

Also, Mutch and Lee can leave for free or nearly free if anybody will take them.

I'm not aware of anyone being prepared to offer that for JM either

Would much prefer to lose JP if one is to go

in-exile
06-07-2017, 04:51 PM
No one will buy Mutch. He's awful. And he's a hard Brexit, Tory voting, w*nker.You sure?

4 cryingOutloud
06-07-2017, 05:28 PM
You sure?

What..... That No one will buy him, or that he's a hard Brexit, Tory voting, w*nker? :rolleyes:

Mr Palace
06-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Yep, sure on both fronts chaps.

wedgetail
06-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Hopefully there is a club whose scouts haven't seen Mutch play.

jjeagle
06-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Hopefully there is a club whose scouts haven't seen Mutch play.

Blimey, we're not going to sign him again are we? :eek::eek:;)

orp pisshead1
06-07-2017, 06:40 PM
Blimey, we're not going to sign him again are we? :eek::eek:;)

Very good :lux:

Nigelbrag
07-07-2017, 08:15 AM
If we struggle to sell Mutch but we still have to continue to pay his quite hefty wages, maybe he deserves another opportunity in preseason under a manager who favours his style of play.
There is something and he HAS proved it before, that makes me think if played in the right position and to his strengths and hopefully now under the right manager will see him at his best. I know he has disappointed and is disliked by many on here who will laugh at the suggestion, but what have we to lose if tried in preseason also especially if we intend selling McArthur, so where do i see him in his best position?
To me it is as a deep laying Midfielder alongside Luka, where he fetches and carries the ball to a forward position and plays in others, he has all the physical attributes to pull it off in my opinion, maybe he just needed the right manager with patience and belief, FdB could well be that person, i see Mutch and Jonny Williams if fully fit given a real opportunity in preseason, surely it has to be worth a try.

Old Bill
07-07-2017, 08:26 AM
If we struggle to sell Mutch but we still have to continue to pay his quite hefty wages, maybe he deserves another opportunity in preseason under a manager who favours his style of play.
There is something and he HAS proved it before, that makes me think if played in the right position and to his strengths and hopefully now under the right manager will see him at his best. I know he has disappointed and is disliked by many on here who will laugh at the suggestion, but what have we to lose if tried in preseason also especially if we intend selling McArthur, so where do i see him in his best position?
To me it is as a deep laying Midfielder alongside Luka, where he fetches and carries the ball to a forward position and plays in others, he has all the physical attributes to pull it off in my opinion, maybe he just needed the right manager with patience and belief, FdB could well be that person, i see Mutch and Jonny Williams if fully fit given a real opportunity in preseason, surely it has to be worth a try.
Yes I'm sure you're right. We can't compete on transfer fees, so the new manager needs to make the most of the players he has got, and try to discover new ones who don't cost a fortune. I thought that was the reason why he was hired. It would be crazy for him to sell players without knowing anything about them. And Mutch did very well before he joined Palace. That's not to say we should sel McArthur though.

cpfc4evandeva
07-07-2017, 09:17 AM
It's lol that people still make excuses for Mutch or think that he may still come good.

We've seen enough and he's simply not good enough. He had a Tommy Black type season for Cardiff 3 or years ago now and has done absolutely nothing of note since.

Martin H
07-07-2017, 09:28 AM

I seem to remember Millen once saying something like - he needs to decide what sort of player/position he really is and focus. We haven't seen it at Palace but he has the attributes that you would want in a footballer. More than OK in the air (when marking), can tackle, has pace and power with the ball and can put in a shift. Can score goals and create from a drifting AM role. But we have simply never (rarely) seen any of that at Palace. Flashes of elements of it maybe. Seem to remember one game where he was our best player and the rest that day were woeful but damage was done by then.

Can imagine he will find himself one day and be a bargain for some club but I can't see him recovering here now. Shame he didn't do enough at Reading. What amazes me is how some players waste the key year's of their life/career like this. They must think it goes on forever but they have 50 years or so to regret it later.

eagle-leg
07-07-2017, 09:29 AM
I'm not aware of anyone being prepared to offer that for JM either

Would much prefer to lose JP if one is to go

JP is our leader.

Really embraced the captaincy last year.

Hes very important to us.

BUNGLE
07-07-2017, 10:08 AM
He has played the pressing game on his own for us at times, would of thought he would suit De Boers style.

MFBias
07-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Who knows if de Boer gives Mutch another chance. Unlikey though, doesnt seem he is one of the boys, probably needs a fresh start.

McArthur on the otherhand is a player we should be keeping. A great squad player and that is hard to find even for 10m these days.

dave_who_ru
07-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Pardew gave Zeki Fryers an opportunity to resurrect his career last pre-season and we had that magic moment when coming on as sub in our away game against Sunderland to belt down the wing and put in a pin point cross for McArthur to head an equaliser.

Unfortunately that was about it.

Presumably Mutch will be given a chance pre-season but I can't really see that things will turn out any different.

Wandle_Eagle
07-07-2017, 10:57 AM

If anyone can come up with answers to these supported by evidence from Mutch's time in a Palace shirt then you are a scouting maven. People are still banging on about an anomalous season 4 years ago where he scored some goals for Cardiff totally ignoring the fact that hes been shit for QPR, us and Reading since that time.

For the threads sake...JimmyMac to stay.

Pete79
07-07-2017, 11:47 AM
The inability of Mutch to perform to the level he did for Cardiff is perplexing. He scored 7 goals in 35 PL games that season and is still only 25, he should be getting better, not worse. I'm not sure what has happened since but I would say that the performance of any player managed by Pardew needs to come with an asterisk, particularly relating to fitness. He wasn't around for the gains made by Allardyce in terms of fitness and results. So of course he should be given a chance, even if all it means is the chance of a better fee for a player involved in the first team and with a few appearances in league games.

As for McArthur, when he first started playing for us he was such a clear step up from what we had before. But last season, even when he was playing well and scoring we were losing games and looking overun in midfield. His performances in those games needs the Pardew asterisk too since defensive responsibility seemed to be ignored.

I think that Puncheon is no longer a PL quality attacking midfielder. I don't think he has the legs required to play that role in our team and he stopped scoring a couple of seasons ago. If he wasn't such a postive influence on the squad he surely wouldn't be in the starting 11.

We clearly need the addition of two very good midfielders, see if Mutch can earn a position in the squad and find a role for Puncheon.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-07-2017, 11:53 AM
It's lol that people still make excuses for Mutch or think that he may still come good.

We've seen enough and he's simply not good enough. He had a Tommy Black type season for Cardiff 3 or years ago now and has done absolutely nothing of note since.

A fresh start under a new manager gives everyone a chance to start anew. Look at Townsend.

However, Mutch barely even looks like a footballer even before he sets foot on the pitch. It's hard to imagine him putting in the effort to get himself in prime shape in the first place, making anything he still has to offer irrelevant as he'll get nowhere near the pitch. If he's out of shape, he'll get even less of a chance under FDB than he got under the previous managers.

I've said before - we never know what goes on behind the scenes that can demotivate, alienate, sap players' confidence etc. In general, there's a natural tendency for fans to blame the player if they perform poorly. But if a player doesn't have enough personal pride to keep themselves in shape, ready for that moment when their chance might come, they get little sympathy from me.

Nigelbrag
07-07-2017, 12:04 PM
I seem to remember Millen once saying something like - he needs to decide what sort of player/position he really is and focus. We haven't seen it at Palace but he has the attributes that you would want in a footballer. More than OK in the air (when marking), can tackle, has pace and power with the ball and can put in a shift. Can score goals and create from a drifting AM role. But we have simply never (rarely) seen any of that at Palace. Flashes of elements of it maybe. Seem to remember one game where he was our best player and the rest that day were woeful but damage was done by then.

Can imagine he will find himself one day and be a bargain for some club but I can't see him recovering here now. Shame he didn't do enough at Reading. What amazes me is how some players waste the key year's of their life/career like this. They must think it goes on forever but they have 50 years or so to regret it later.

You have echoed what i have said previously that he has All the attributes to make an excellent midfielder and had proved it previously, hence why he was once a wanted player, but so was Fryers :confused: so what went wrong.
But as you rightly say somewhere along the line that ability got lost How/Why is a mystery, as i had said could it be a change in manager might do the trick and someone like FdB who likes players that are comfortable on the ball and able to create time and space, will give Mutch the opportunity the time and patience to express his true ability.
I hope so, as he does have qualities that could be hugely valuable to Palace if the manager can extract it out of him, hence why i said preseason for Mutch along with a fully fit Jonny Williams could prove very interesting, these are talented players but for varying reasons got lost along the way.

Big Fella
07-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Has a quick look about the McArthur rumour. Ah it's all about Mutch.

Reps AJ
07-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Has a quick look about the McArthur rumour. Ah it's all about Mutch.

They're both midfielders and both surnames begin with M.

That's about as on topic as it gets

Dj 784
08-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Also linked with Burnley
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4677630/Burnley-want-Crystal-Palace-midfielder-James-McArthur.html

BillyTKid
08-07-2017, 02:15 PM
McArthur out and Chalobah in would be good business.

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Looks like he hasn't gone to HK.... surely he's off then?

RisZero
17-07-2017, 09:54 AM

Or injured, though he was in the initial list so maybe

JHJ EAGLE
17-07-2017, 09:55 AM

If this is true then perhaps some of the rumours of the central midfielders being linked with aren't so far fetched? It would be a shame though as Jimmy Mac has been a good player for us

Bones14
17-07-2017, 09:57 AM
Interesting.

That's all I've got to add.

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 09:58 AM
If this is true then perhaps some of the rumours of the central midfielders being linked with aren't so far fetched? It would be a shame though as Jimmy Mac has been a good player for us

I agree.. maybe we are getting a good fee for him which allows us to upgrade.. who knows. Shame. Like jimmy Mac

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Do we know that? I have seen the picture of the group that he is missing from, but are you basing it on that or have you heard more?

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 10:04 AM
Do we know that? I have seen the picture of the group that he is missing from, but are you basing it on that or have you heard more?

Picture.. and the video of every getting off the bus... and no sign of him. Looks like he ain't there but you never know I suppose.. could of been having a shit on the coach toilet

exiledeagle
17-07-2017, 10:05 AM
either way hope he isn't injured , that would be no good if he is going or staying .

RisZero
17-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Does seem unlikely they would do a team photo without him. Could be anything though, late injury, personal crisis, Villa/Newcastle bidding war...

Old Joe Paxton
17-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Picture.. and the video of every getting off the bus... and no sign of him. Looks like he ain't there but you never know I suppose.. could of been having a shit on the coach toilet

Do you mind!? Our players don't shit, thank you very much...

AJ
17-07-2017, 10:25 AM
either way hope he isn't injured , that would be no good if he is going or staying .

I assume injured as I am sure he would have played at Maidstone otherwise.

mylona
17-07-2017, 10:26 AM

If that is part of the new regime I think you will find they will put on weight.

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 10:28 AM
I assume injured as I am sure he would have played at Maidstone otherwise.

Unless he's being sold..

No chungy either by Looks of it

exiledeagle
17-07-2017, 10:32 AM
My eyes playing tricks - struggling to count how many are in pic and I don't recognise quite a few:o

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Sometimes players disappear when their wives/ girlfriend's have babies of course.

I think selling JMc may be a sensible move for the right price but I'm not sure if his absence from the pics/ videos mean it is happening.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-07-2017, 10:40 AM

Especially not on a coach. It's the Middlesbrough away Championship clincher trip all over again.

N Herts Eagle
17-07-2017, 10:40 AM
I am now convinced there is at least one out with the squad thats not been announced. The video of the players getting off the coach skips one after Jules, the photo of them training is back of players only.......

Pierre
17-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Apparently McArthur & Dann were pictured on the plane. Can't explain why Jimmy was not in photo or video?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Sometimes players disappear when their wives/ girlfriend's have babies of course.

I think selling JMc may be a sensible move for the right price but I'm not sure if his absence from the pics/ videos mean it is happening.

I'm waiting until someone checks the footage from his last game and counts the number of fanclaps he did, and how sad he looked before drawing any conclusions

GreatGonzo
17-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Players who played CM for us last year were:
Cabaye, Luka, McArthur, Puncheon, Flamini and Ledley.

2 of the 6 have already departed and we have added in Ruben Loftus-Cheek, so losing another really would require some strengthening in that area. If we sell McArthur we will probably need not only Reidewald if he is to play there but possibly another attacking midfielder. if Reidewald is expected to play at the back we are probably 2 short in CM.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Apparently McArthur & Dann were pictured on the plane. Can't explain why Jimmy was not in photo or video?

9YgQmPP5t2s

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Players who played CM for us last year were:
Cabaye, Luka, McArthur, Puncheon, Flamini and Ledley.

2 of the 6 have already departed and we have added in Ruben Loftus-Cheek, so losing another really would require some strengthening in that area. If we sell McArthur we will probably need not only Reidewald if he is to play there but possibly another attacking midfielder. if Reidewald is expected to play at the back we are probably 2 short in CM.

True, but Flamini and Ledley were minor part players and were released to free up squad space. Selling McArthur would be done purely because he could generate a transfer fee that does enable us to strengthen in that area.

WorthingEagle
17-07-2017, 10:52 AM
True, but Flamini and Ledley were minor part players and were released to free up squad space. Selling McArthur would be done purely because he could generate a transfer fee that does enable us to strengthen in that area.

At today's prices, who are we going to get that's better for the same or less money?

Reliable Premier League midfielders are tough to find, the grass isn't always greener.

GreatGonzo
17-07-2017, 10:54 AM

Would not disagree with that. If you looked at the squad and said who could we sell and command a fee for that is not making the first XI he would have to be at the top of the list i think.

We will learn a bit more on Wednesday when we start to see how FDB might set us up, which partnerships he tries etc etc.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-07-2017, 11:04 AM
At today's prices, who are we going to get that's better for the same or less money?

Reliable Premier League midfielders are tough to find, the grass isn't always greener.

Why everyone always says this is a mystery to me. Firstly, perhaps if we get 5m for McArthur it means we can afford a 10m player. Or if we get 10m for him, afford a 20m player, and so on.

Alternatively, I'm no more certain that we couldn't improve upon for the same price we sold him for than whether we could.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-07-2017, 11:05 AM
What's for certain is that we can't 'improve' the squad just by continually moving on the Campbells, Mutches, Lees, Ledleys etc.

jamieb73
17-07-2017, 11:14 AM
Jimmy will go for 10m minimum

GrayP41ace
17-07-2017, 11:22 AM
My Brothers sister in-law looks after McArthurs child, will get an 'ITK' style scoop ;)

elgin eagle
17-07-2017, 11:23 AM

He should do in this market. Looks like he is off, unless he is injured. A shame if true, he is a real grafter.

WorthingEagle
17-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Why everyone always says this is a mystery to me. Firstly, perhaps if we get 5m for McArthur it means we can afford a 10m player. Or if we get 10m for him, afford a 20m player, and so on.

Alternatively, I'm no more certain that we couldn't improve upon for the same price we sold him for than whether we could.

I just think this is the one position (and it's a key position) in the entire team where we've got more than adequate, proven Premier League depth, and it's a key position, so why mess with it?

We could sell him and upgrade another area, then get a couple of injuries and we're playing Ward in midfield again.

Or we could sell him and pay double the money for a pup in his position. Wouldn't be the first time!

brighton_eagle
17-07-2017, 12:05 PM
If we were to sell him to raise funds to replace him with someone like William Carvalho, i.e. a massive upgrade, then yes. I'd be sad to see him go though, as we know he can do a job for us.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
17-07-2017, 12:20 PM
I just think this is the one position (and it's a key position) in the entire team where we've got more than adequate, proven Premier League depth, and it's a key position, so why mess with it?

We could sell him and upgrade another area, then get a couple of injuries and we're playing Ward in midfield again.

Or we could sell him and pay double the money for a pup in his position. Wouldn't be the first time!

I would say that central midfield was a key weakness in the team last season, with or without McArthur, aside from the much needed introduction of Luka. Any upgrade would be welcome IMO.

Regardless, it is often the saleable assets who dictate sales rather than their position in the team and its relative strength.

I've always felt that JM and Scott Dann were our most likely 'big sales' this offseason, despite them both being players I'm sure the majority of fans at the club would love to see stay. Same with Benteke. Even the biggest clubs in the division have to know when to sell at the best time - you can't just run all of your players to the end of their careers and expect to add quality to the squad in the meantime.

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Midfield has been our biggest problem since we have been promoted. No creativity.. no goals.

OriginalNutter
17-07-2017, 12:34 PM

I've heard that Chinese food upsets his wee Scotish stomach so he's been given half a days leave so he could go and find some baked beans, Ketchup and monster munch.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-07-2017, 12:38 PM

I'd sell him for anything around the 7-8m if we have potential signings lined up to replace him.

Will turn 30 early in the season, only 1 year left on his deal, unlikely to feature in our starting 11 very often if everyone is fit.

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 12:39 PM

If you are getting that from my post in gpd then ignore.. it we're MacArthur..

SmokeyStover7
17-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Riedewald's best position is CDM, which bodes poorly for McArthur. But McArthur was our best player for over a year and certainly is capable of being key for us this season. 29 is not that old. If he is moved it will be purely for financial reasons.

I still think we are lacking that attacking midfielder.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Riedewald's best position is CDM, which bodes poorly for McArthur. But McArthur was our best player for over a year and certainly is capable of being key for us this season. 29 is not that old. If he is moved it will be purely for financial reasons.

But FDB used him as a centre back. So who knows how he plans to use him.. well I guess FDB does (hopefully). But we certainly don't.

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 12:51 PM

A fair few ajax bloggers etc say his best position is Left sided centre back and that's where FdB played him. He's versatile but my guess is he'll start centre back

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-07-2017, 01:04 PM
A fair few ajax bloggers etc say his best position is Left sided centre back and that's where FdB played him. He's versatile but my guess is he'll start centre back

That is very plausible.

I understand the desire for Martins Indi or Sakho - but it is certainly possible that if/when Ridewald is confirmed, our centre backs for this season may be complete.

Thefunkymonk
17-07-2017, 01:06 PM
That is very plausible.

I understand the desire for Martins Indi or Sakho - but it is certainly possible that if/when Ridewald is confirmed, our centre backs for this season may be complete.

Who knows..

Have to admit it's far more interesting than sanogo or adebayor panic buys

Chillo
17-07-2017, 01:10 PM
I've heard that Chinese food upsets his wee Scotish stomach so he's been given half a days leave so he could go and find some baked beans, Ketchup and monster munch.

Washed down by Irn Bru?! :D

SmokeyStover7
17-07-2017, 01:11 PM
That is very plausible.

I still think he will be mostly deployed as a CDM after reading Ajax forums who think he is poor defensively (and is undersized).

However, it certainly gives us more leverage with Liverpool for Sahko as we no longer NEED another CB.

RPizzey
17-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Cant see him fitting in FDB style tbh, great servant to the club though always love jimmy mac

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-07-2017, 01:33 PM
I still think he will be mostly deployed as a CDM after reading Ajax forums who think he is poor defensively (and is undersized).

However, it certainly gives us more leverage with Liverpool for Sahko as we no longer NEED another CB.

You may well be right but none of us know yet.

SmokeyStover7
17-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Cant see him fitting in FDB style tbh, great servant to the club though always love jimmy mac

Why not? I think it would suit him. He has one one of the highest pass percentages on the team, rarely is dispossessed, and plays a very good pressing game.

RisZero
17-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Why not?

He might prefer his players not injured :clown: