PDA

View Full Version : Ian Wright 1990 cup final

DE - Glad All Over
03-07-2017, 06:39 AM
Lovely podcast on 5 live between Colin Murray and Ian Wright, I listened this Saturday.

Ian talks about how he loved to celebrate goals even in training, and how he could never reproduce how he felt, such ecstasy, after his goal against Moan U in 1990 cup final, seemed heart-felt and nice to hear given that we have to accept his career is really defined with the Arse.

Old Joe Paxton
03-07-2017, 07:22 AM
Will listen.

And if I recall correctly from the time his attitude to the club or certain individuals may have been defined by the times he lived in (never actually gone away?) and the abuse - racial and non-racial - he and his mother received following his move. Also the extraordinarily antediluvian views of the chairman, remarkable even in those days.

So his response has not endeared him to Palace fans some who are too young to have been born then but see him only solely as 'an Arsenal man', but not the reasons why and that he talks warmly of of Coppell and the players - and the opportunity he was given.

NateEagle
03-07-2017, 08:05 AM
Yep, listened to that. Was great stuff in parts.

Asked by Murray what day in his life he would live again if he could, he said the day he signed for Palace....when Coppell took him in to his office and told him he wanted him to sign professionally. It was a three month contract.

DE - Glad All Over
03-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Will listen.

And if I recall correctly from the time his attitude to the club or certain individuals may have been defined by the times he lived in (never actually gone away?) and the abuse - racial and non-racial - he and his mother received following his move. Also the extraordinarily antediluvian views of the chairman, remarkable even in those days.

So his response has not endeared him to Palace fans some who are too young to have been born then but see him only solely as 'an Arsenal man', but not the reasons why and that he talks warmly of of Coppell and the players - and the opportunity he was given.
There is a bit on his views on racism - I won't spoil it for you.

selhursthoover
03-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Ive got his Cup Final shirt signed when he scored the two goals. Pride of place in the museum.

:p

cantspell
03-07-2017, 10:51 AM
That was a very good listen

Golf Boy
03-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Surrounded by United fans when he came on. I told them all they were in trouble now. 5 minutes later...

CPFC.1990
03-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Ive got his Cup Final shirt signed when he scored the two goals. Pride of place in the museum.

Got any pics of your museum?

selhursthoover
04-07-2017, 05:49 AM
Got any pics of your museum?

To be honest no. When I get a tick ill put some up. Next time in the area you are welcome to have a nose.

bubbs11
06-07-2017, 06:17 PM

Bloody ell!! Can't think of a more important Palace shirt to have. That's the Holy Grail of Palace tops! Can't think of one that would be considered more valuable to a Palace fan.

May I ask how you ended up with it?

Dorking .Eagle
06-07-2017, 07:10 PM
Can't think of one that would be considered more valuable to a Palace fan.

Barry Bannan's v Hull away :confused:;)

Grim Reaper
06-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Barry Bannan's v Hull away :confused:;)

What a great pick. OK, not as good as the Wright one in all seriousness but for me personally, as a resident of the Hull area, that's right up there as one of my favourite goals. Given how it kick started a revival to keep us up that year and now we're fairly established in the Premier, that has to be one of the great unsung goals for us this century.

Back to the Wright shirt, the only one I think that comes close is Hopkin's Wembley shirt and so nearly PUncheon's Wembley shirt.

PeterH
06-07-2017, 09:37 PM

He had a winning bid of 50 notes on Ebay.

selhursthoover
09-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Bloody ell!! Can't think of a more important Palace shirt to have. That's the Holy Grail of Palace tops! Can't think of one that would be considered more valuable to a Palace fan.

Wife's dad was the youth team Physio and used to come in every weekend for Ian after he broke his leg twice that season.

They thought he had no chance of making the game after breaking V Derby at home.

Ian gave it to his as a thank you for helping ensure he made the game.

Wright+Bright
09-07-2017, 06:48 PM

Thought exactly the same. Would absolutely love that shirt :p

BuktaBoy
14-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Wife's dad was the youth team Physio and used to come in every weekend for Ian after he broke his leg twice that season.

They thought he had no chance of making the game after breaking V Derby at home.

That's worth aout 2k if you are looking to sell. I collect match issues from that era and have a few belters too.

Harry Holmesdale
17-07-2017, 04:01 PM

What a lovely touch. For all the abuse he gets from us now that does show a touch of class.

FourtyTwo
17-07-2017, 04:21 PM
What a great pick. OK, not as good as the Wright one in all seriousness but for me personally, as a resident of the Hull area, that's right up there as one of my favourite goals. Given how it kick started a revival to keep us up that year and now we're fairly established in the Premier, that has to be one of the great unsung goals for us this century.

Back to the Wright shirt, the only one I think that comes close is Hopkin's Wembley shirt and so nearly PUncheon's Wembley shirt.

I had my hands on David Tuttle's shorts, but someone a few rows in front whipped them away from me. True story!

Braintree Eagle
26-07-2017, 12:08 AM
That's worth aout 2k if you are looking to sell. I collect match issues from that era and have a few belters too.

Well, given the chance, even I would pay more than 2k for that! Having said that...I know there's no chance so it's irrelevant! :supergrin:

Would love to know what shirts you have..... Closest I have come to a famous shirt is slapping Aylott on the back during a mini pitch invasion about 1985 after we beat Oxford at home 1-0 and he scored the winner!! :supergrin::supergrin::lux:

Tom's Old Man
26-07-2017, 08:29 PM
Jamie Moralee's from QPR last game of the season 1992-ish.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
26-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Steve Kember's from that game in 1979, 51000 and all that

NRM the 2nd
26-07-2017, 08:42 PM
Richard Shaw from the 1990 season signed by all the squad. Got it from the groundsman at the old Mitcham training ground

King William
26-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Wayne Carlisle shorts, tranmere away, SC's last game

Mark lazarus' shirt...promotion game

Dorking .Eagle
27-07-2017, 05:19 AM
Steve Coppell's jacket Tranmere away (SC's last competitive game with Palace)

selhursthoover
27-07-2017, 10:53 AM

Would never sell chap. Hes signed it to Andy too.

selhursthoover
27-07-2017, 10:53 AM
What a lovely touch. For all the abuse he gets from us now that does show a touch of class.

selhursthoover
27-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Steve Coppell's jacket Tranmere away (SC's last competitive game with Palace)

I remember him doing that. Good catch Dorking. See you Saturday.

Dorking .Eagle
27-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Not me that caught it, Maidstoned did. It's in my Palace hoard now though :)
See you Saturday