PDA

View Full Version : Taking betting seriously

OneSize
03-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Hi guys, been thinking about taking football bets a little more serious. Been following a few guys who do a lot of in play betting with small wins leading to high stakes. I started using sbat to look at stats and it boggles the mind.

Just wondering if any of you guys do this and what are the things you need to look out for the most.

pauldrulez
03-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Hi guys, been thinking about taking football bets a little more serious. Been following a few guys who do a lot of in play betting with small wins leading to high stakes. I started using sbat to look at stats and it boggles the mind.

Just wondering if any of you guys do this and what are the things you need to look out for the most.

It is possible with a lot of research, time and energy to do it.

But, there can be peaks and there can be lows, which are what pushed me away from doing it. I had nights where I'd turn a fiver into 3-400 without expending much energy, and then have a night where I'd start with 50, get myself up to 200 and then lose it all and more chasing it back.

A word of warning is that some of these online tipsters with big wins have falsified their bets and deleted bets etc in the past. It's very easy to do.

All I'd say is have a go at it for a few weeks with a pad of paper and a fake bank and see how well you do. Even use small stakes if you want. Stick to a plan and a focus and go about it that way.

Good Luck :p

AJ's right boot
03-07-2017, 07:17 PM
The twitter ones are all on commission, usually through bet 365 so want you to lose in the long run.

Louis
05-07-2017, 07:17 AM
Been following a few guys who do a lot of in play betting with small wins leading to high stakes.
Do you mean small stakes leading to high wins?

Halfwayline
05-07-2017, 07:24 AM
There must be a small time lapse, even a couple of seconds between a goal being scored or penalty awarded or a player about to be given a red card and all the odds being adjusted. Can you not have a bet prepared and press OK before the odds have been recalculated?

Louis
05-07-2017, 01:45 PM
There must be a small time lapse, even a couple of seconds between a goal being scored or penalty awarded or a player about to be given a red card and all the odds being adjusted. Can you not have a bet prepared and press OK before the odds have been recalculated?
Bookies use a time delay with in-play bets to protect themselves against this.

nicky
05-07-2017, 02:26 PM
Why dont you just flush money down the toilet instead ?

delboy01
05-07-2017, 02:40 PM

I tried that and it cost me even more having to get a plumber out to unblock the toilet!!!!

EagleSE24
05-07-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm sure I read years ago that the value was in the lower divisions. Non-league, Scottish third division etc. When you're playing in front of 150 people, home advantage means less and the bookies are less clued up about that level of sport. As such, you can get longer odds for the away team than you might expect. Wish I could remember where I read this though.

Eaglesmad123
05-07-2017, 02:46 PM
I have done very well out of it but its not easy to do. It take a lot of effort to make any decent cash and as well as the highs you have a lot of lows.

SEEPEEEFFSEE
05-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Mug betting = waste of time and only 1 winner
Matched betting = the way forward (check out profit accumulator)

Louis
09-07-2017, 10:36 PM

One thing you could do is have a go at one of the betting competitions in this 'World of Betting' forum, such as the monthly Betting Masters. You compete against other players by staking real life bets but using only 'points' not your own money. You might enjoy it. And it would help you learn what works for you and what doesn't, without losing any cash.

elgin eagle
09-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Mug betting = waste of time and only 1 winner
Matched betting = the way forward (check out profit accumulator)

This all day long with bells, whistles, claxons and all number of warning horns on. Join oddsmonkey and watch the cash roll in.

Alternatively, mug bet on the in play and watch it leave your wallet at an alarming rate.

CPFC since 1989
09-07-2017, 11:00 PM

Is the correct answer.

Mugs game.

nicky
10-07-2017, 07:42 AM
So theres thousands of gamblers out there each with their own pet "strategy".

Some "strategies" are going to be successful by sheer dumb luck - and are going to fail sooner or later.

How do you tell the difference between a "good" "strategy" and a "lucky" one?

Louis
10-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Some "strategies" are going to be successful by sheer dumb luck - and are going to fail sooner or later.

How do you tell the difference between a "good" "strategy" and a "lucky" one?
Good question - probably by measuring the profit or loss over a long time?

Away
10-07-2017, 09:07 AM
My rule of thumb is that anyone who's cracked it won't be blabbing to the cannon fodder ... at least not with the right answer.

richdeniro
11-07-2017, 03:47 PM

Stats mean feck all.

Look at us with Hennessey in goal, all stats and form go right out the window when you're dealing with human beings as anything can happen.

elgin eagle
11-07-2017, 03:55 PM
Good question - probably by measuring the profit or loss over a long time?

Matched betting has been the only way I have ever found to make consistent money. Mug betting is inherently risky by its very nature. At least with matched betting you are laying off a massive amount to attempt to get the free bets, which you then lay off as well if you have any sense.

Louis
14-07-2017, 09:07 PM

Just re-reading this bit … when you say following, I am guessing you mean following online tipsters who publicise themselves on twitter etc.

As I think someone else said, I wouldn't necessarily trust these. If you were making money from in-play betting, would you tell everyone the bets you were making, knowing that the odds might well fall if enough people joined in? It's generally better to decide your own bets rather than follow other peoples' Or go for matched betting as Elgin said, and guarantee a small regular profit ...

nicobos
14-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Well, there are people who make a living from gambling so it is possible. Just don't expect it to be some get rich scheme as I think hard work and stats are probably the only way to win long term.

My betfair account has remained stable at c.450 for the last five years (I.e. won some lose some but overall evens). Just need to maintain discipline and only take those bets where the odds are too low.

Ironically I've probably made more money betting on Palace where you close the gap between you and the others becusedn you go to games and are more educated than others.

cpfc4evandeva
14-07-2017, 10:08 PM
Well, there are people who make a living from gambling so it is possible. Just don't expect it to be some get rich scheme as I think hard work and stats are probably the only way to win long term.

My betfair account has remained stable at c.450 for the last five years (I.e. won some lose some but overall evens). Just need to maintain discipline and only take those bets where the odds are too low.

Ironically I've probably made more money betting on Palace where you close the gap between you and the others becusedn you go to games and are more educated than others.

Then in the nicest possible way, what's the point? If it's just a bit of fun, fair enough but isn't the point of betting to try and win a bit of cash?

I've started matched betting and whilst I don't know how long it will last (bookies can grow tired of you winning and close your account), I'm making nice little sums.

elgin eagle
14-07-2017, 10:28 PM
Just re-reading this bit when you say following, I am guessing you mean following online tipsters who publicise themselves on twitter etc.

As I think someone else said, I wouldn't necessarily trust these. If you were making money from in-play betting, would you tell everyone the bets you were making, knowing that the odds might well fall if enough people joined in? It's generally better to decide your own bets rather than follow other peoples' Or go for matched betting as Elgin said, and guarantee a small regular profit ...

Not that small either. If you make 40 a day from it which is really quite easy that is 1200 each month. Just need to set aside a bit of time each day to do it, and try to match bet away any bookie-side winnings into your exchange accounts to keep the bookies sweet and continuing to offer you promotions.

nicobos
15-07-2017, 03:40 AM
Then in the nicest possible way, what's the point? If it's just a bit of fun, fair enough but isn't the point of betting to try and win a bit of cash?

I've started matched betting and whilst I don't know how long it will last (bookies can grow tired of you winning and close your account), I'm making nice little sums.

Why do most people bet when they lose money over time ? It's exactly that, it is a bit of fun and it feels good to be right and get paid for it! I won 200 on betting on a Liverpool 1 - palace 2 score line for example last season. I'm usually getting practice at trading as generally not sitting on a bet for the whole 90 mins.

Ultimately, if I'm break even after 5 years (including lots of s of commission), the way I see it is I'm not that far off being consistently profitable

I put money into shares to make money. Betting is just for fun unless you have time to devote yourself to statistical analysis and research to gain an edge.

Matched betting works but it's a matter of time before your account is closed so not sustainable longer term.

Louis
15-07-2017, 04:31 AM

Why do most people bet when they lose money over time ? It's exactly that, it is a bit of fun and it feels good to be right and get paid for it!
I think that's a good point. The vast majority of gamblers are men, and one reason men enjoy it is to do with the male ego. Most people on cpfc.org are also men of course ...

cpfc4evandeva
15-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Why do most people bet when they lose money over time ? It's exactly that, it is a bit of fun and it feels good to be right and get paid for it! I won 200 on betting on a Liverpool 1 - palace 2 score line for example last season. I'm usually getting practice at trading as generally not sitting on a bet for the whole 90 mins.

Ultimately, if I'm break even after 5 years (including lots of s of commission), the way I see it is I'm not that far off being consistently profitable

I put money into shares to make money. Betting is just for fun unless you have time to devote yourself to statistical analysis and research to gain an edge.

Matched betting works but it's a matter of time before your account is closed so not sustainable longer term.

Like I said, fair enough if you find it fun.

I don't find losing money fun though. It's just a bit shit.

elgin eagle
15-07-2017, 10:22 AM

Not true. No bookie will restrict you if you never withdraw money. You just have to match bet any winnings away into your exchange accounts and withdraw it from there.

elgin eagle
15-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Like I said, fair enough if you find it fun.

I don't find losing money fun though. It's just a bit shit.

10 feature races on bet365 today :p

cpfc4evandeva
15-07-2017, 02:22 PM
10 feature races on bet365 today :p

On it right now mate :D No winners yet but only about a quid or two down over 5 races so far.

PalaceExile
15-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Not true. No bookie will restrict you if you never withdraw money. You just have to match bet any winnings away into your exchange accounts and withdraw it from there.

Not true. There is no rhyme nor reason. I have had accounts for years and they throw free bets at me all the time despite me withdrawing immediately. I have other accounts where I get banned after doing the sign-up offer.

There have been plenty of discussions on this on the Profit Maximiser facebook page. Some people get lucky, some dont. There are things you can do to draw attention such as betting on norwegian league 3 matches and always picking the value bets but over time, if you dont lose lots you will eventually get banned from promotions.

JamTheEagle
15-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Yes they will. Especially with predominantly horse racing accounts, if you consistently bet on horses and beat the SP they will limit you, close account or remove BOG.

elgin eagle
15-07-2017, 03:11 PM
On it right now mate :D No winners yet but only about a quid or two down over 5 races so far.

I only did the first 5 but got one up.

elgin eagle
17-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Not true. There is no rhyme nor reason. I have had accounts for years and they throw free bets at me all the time despite me withdrawing immediately. I have other accounts where I get banned after doing the sign-up offer.

There have been plenty of discussions on this on the Profit Maximiser facebook page. Some people get lucky, some dont. There are things you can do to draw attention such as betting on norwegian league 3 matches and always picking the value bets but over time, if you dont lose lots you will eventually get banned from promotions.

Which is the point i'm making. Bookies only care about their bottom line, they aren't charities. They don't want successful punters on their books. I got gubbed from bet365 last year for stupidly withdrawing my winnings into my bank account on a regular basis, combined with only doing promotional offers. It would have been easy for anyone looking at my betting history to see I was matched betting. I now do neither of these things with a friend to help make him an extra income and the account stays unrestricted, because bet365 are making money from that account on a regular basis. I doubt they give two fecks that we are making even more at betfair. The advent of betting exchanges have changed betting strategies forever, as there will always be punters looking for the best odds somewhere.

Agree with your point about betting on obscure things and value bets too. I'm sure bookies have people constantly monitoring the oddsmonkey scanner to correct the arbs it brings up.

cpfc4evandeva
17-07-2017, 08:52 AM
I find it disgraceful that they close accounts of successful punters. They're not charities but they should accept it when someone is getting value out of their prices and/or offers.

elgin eagle
17-07-2017, 09:07 AM
I find it disgraceful that they close accounts of successful punters. They're not charities but they should accept it when someone is getting value out of their prices and/or offers.

I guess they are in such a competitive market now with so many online bookies that they have to offer promotions. The problem is they all know that most offers can be taken advantage of by matched betting, when really all they want are the mug punter types to make them money. Look at the start up offers from the obscure ones like winner, it's almost impossible to withdraw money with them. Yes, they'll match your initial 200 quid deposit with 200 of their own, but you can almost guarantee due to the rollover requirements that they'll take your 200 and their 200 back first.