PDA

View Full Version : Nathaniel Chalobah signs for Watford [moved from Transfer Forum]

hihi
06-07-2017, 05:28 PM
Seems to be interesting Watford at 5 million. Doesn't seem a lot for a talented 22 year old midfielder.

Steve in Phoenix
06-07-2017, 05:30 PM
He's sheer class. Watford loaned him before so they have the inside track. He plays in Luka's position so wouldn't be guaranteed first team football at Palace. That's what he'd be looking for if he's leaving Chelsea.

TWELLSEagle
06-07-2017, 07:44 PM
It never ceases to amaze me why we don't go for these bargains. I remember van dijk being discussed on here before signing for Southampton. We never seem to go for these.

Martin H
06-07-2017, 07:53 PM
It never ceases to amaze me why we don't go for these bargains. I remember van dijk being discussed on here before signing for Southampton. We never seem to go for these.

By the time they are on here it's typically too late though isn't it? Southampton had been tracking and talking to Celtic re Van Dijk for the best part of a year. At the time I seem to remember him being out of our price range even then.

Re Chalobah - I have always been a bit underwhelmed when I have watched him. He has all the attributes but doesn't impose himself on a game and to me seems to play within himself all the time. He has been 'good' for a long time without really breaking through. I wonder sometimes if it's a confidence thing. He started young and at a good level. Maybe if he dropped a division he would start bossing things. Hopefully, he is crap at Watford :)

gold76
06-07-2017, 07:58 PM
As an aside, how about loftus-cheek? At 21 on loan for a year would be good and he might not need to be added to the 25

chelmsfordeagle
07-07-2017, 06:51 AM
I think there are a number of young players at Chelsea that we should be looking at to either buy or loan; Chalobah, Zouma and Loftus-Cheek have been mentioned but also Baker and Brown have looked good when i have seen them play for England.

AJ
07-07-2017, 10:22 AM
I think there are a number of young players at Chelsea that we should be looking at to either buy or loan; Chalobah, Zouma and Loftus-Cheek have been mentioned but also Baker and Brown have looked good when i have seen them play for England.
I wonder if these Chelsea youngsters are all on big money and it could upset the apple cart if we bring in an u21 player on wages bigger than 80% of the senior squad? (No evidence, i am just wondering)

Palaceborn
07-07-2017, 11:08 AM
I wonder if these Chelsea youngsters are all on big money and it could upset the apple cart if we bring in an u21 player on wages bigger than 80% of the senior squad? (No evidence, i am just wondering)

I'd guess our average wage is around 50k, I doubt if any of these players, apart from Zouma, would be on more then that.

Out of those players i'd defo take Zouma, who has been linked, and Baker. Baker was amazing at Vitesse in the Eredivise so with the prospect of seeing if he could replicate it with us. Would be great competition with Punch or Cabaye for that attacking midfield position, depending if we are after this Badou Ndaiye.

Nigelbrag
07-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Seems ludicrous to think he can be bought for 5m, what the hell are we debating/waiting for? would make an excellent additional defensive midfielder that we badly need, and apparently on HALF the wages that Sako is on.

st albans
07-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Seems ludicrous to think he can be bought for 5m, what the hell are we debating/waiting for? would make an excellent additional defensive midfielder that we badly need, and apparently on HALF the wages that Sako is on.

he wouldn't play though, not ahead of Luka. he isn't going to swap the chelsea bench for ours

Nigelbrag
07-07-2017, 04:02 PM
he wouldn't play though, not ahead of Luka. he isn't going to swap the chelsea bench for ours

Not necessarily instead of Luka as i have said before why not alongside, also bring in Loftus-Cheep as the attacking midfielder especially now that Cabaye is not the force he was but can still play a huge part off the bench. The young legs in the team would suit the way FdB wants to play in a 4-3-3

Sir.S.C Remembered
08-07-2017, 03:14 PM
5m would be well worth it. Could sell for much more if it went well. Technical so fits FDB mound. Great business if we sold Cabaye for 10-15m and signed him for 5m

TWELLSEagle
08-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Not necessarily instead of Luka as i have said before why not alongside, also bring in Loftus-Cheep as the attacking midfielder especially now that Cabaye is not the force he was but can still play a huge part off the bench. The young legs in the team would suit the way FdB wants to play in a 4-3-3

Cabaye should be one of the first names on the team sheet after his end of season form

ForzaPalace
12-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Definitely think we should be in for him at that price

BillyTKid
14-07-2017, 05:11 AM
Signed for Watford. Seems a real weird one that they seem to have bought him so cheap and unchallenged.

CharlieCPFC
14-07-2017, 05:20 AM
I've heard from someone who works at Chelsea he's one of the most arrogant people he's ever come across in Football.

SilentAssassin
14-07-2017, 07:11 AM
I've heard from someone who works at Chelsea he's one of the most arrogant people he's ever come across in Football.

He's best mates of a lad I went college and played in the same football team as. He's actually quite a humble guy so I'm surprised to hear that.

Have a pair of his Adidas predators that has a slight split in the instep where Alex smashed a shot that he stopped. Been asking for years for him to join us but I don't think we ever followed up any slight interest in him which is a shame as he's a local lad.
He'll do really well at Watford if he has a regular run of games this season which I assume he will given the deal he has got.

Nigelbrag
14-07-2017, 07:22 AM
Signed for Watford. Seems a real weird one that they seem to have bought him so cheap and unchallenged.

Like yourself i am also amazed, 5m for a 22yr old and one of the most capped England youngsters ever, regardless to being in his final year contract this was a steal. And i will repeat what i said before, why the hell did we not even try to compete? i am sure if we tried we would have had a good chance of snapping him up especially with his Chelsea team mate joining Palace on loan.

SilentAssassin
14-07-2017, 07:31 AM
Like yourself i am also amazed, 5m for a 22yr old and one of the most capped England youngsters ever, regardless to being in his final year contract this was a steal. And i will repeat what i said before, why the hell did we not even try to compete? i am sure if we tried we would have had a good chance of snapping him up especially with his Chelsea team mate joining Palace on loan.

We already have players in his position I guess - he's hands down better than most of Watford's midfielders and probably has too much competition in Luka, Cabaye and McArthur if he came here.

Watford are looking like they are going to be decent centrally this season in midfield with Capoue, Chalobah and Hughes.

mb23
14-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Chelsea losing all their top young talent this summer - very odd.

Like Chalobah but he wouldn't play over Luka, and I'm sure he wants regular game time.

kark
14-07-2017, 07:49 AM
That is an unbelievable deal... well done Watford. He's a good player, such a low fee seems odd.

hihi
14-07-2017, 07:49 AM
If we can't produce our own youngsters surely the next best thing is to snap up promising ones from other clubs. For instance most BBSers thought that Adama Traore when he was at Villa & Demarai Gray when he was at Birmingham were worth a punt - they are now being talked about for millions.

CharlieCPFC
14-07-2017, 07:50 AM
He's best mates of a lad I went college and played in the same football team as. He's actually quite a humble guy so I'm surprised to hear that.

Have a pair of his Adidas predators that has a slight split in the instep where Alex smashed a shot that he stopped. Been asking for years for him to join us but I don't think we ever followed up any slight interest in him which is a shame as he's a local lad.
He'll do really well at Watford if he has a regular run of games this season which I assume he will given the deal he has got.

Yeah he went to BTG around the corner from where I went to, in all fairness he may of had a bad experience with him or have a different attitude when around his Football mates, who knows.

Regardless 5M is a steal for an English holding midfielder at 22 with the caps he does. Marco Silva will have Watford competing well this year.

CharlieCPFC
14-07-2017, 07:51 AM
If we can't produce our own youngsters surely the next best thing is to snap up promising ones from other clubs. For instance most BBSers thought that Adama Traore when he was at Villa & Demarai Gray when he was at Birmingham were worth a punt - they are now being talked about for millions.

The problem being he should be coming through our youth setup, Ruben Loftus Cheek, Chalboah, Tammy Abraham and Jordan Ibe are all south Londoners.

BillyTKid
14-07-2017, 08:01 AM

Plus redmond and Delli Alli.

hihi
14-07-2017, 08:12 AM
The only time we seem to have done this in recent years was with Bolasie, and that paid off spectacularly well

Nigelbrag
14-07-2017, 10:10 AM
We already have players in his position I guess - he's hands down better than most of Watford's midfielders and probably has too much competition in Luka, Cabaye and McArthur if he came here.

Watford are looking like they are going to be decent centrally this season in midfield with Capoue, Chalobah and Hughes.

It's now history in any case, but surely with fitness issues against Cabaye and McArthur, also with the chance that One may well be sold, it seemed a no brainer to me that we should have tried especially at that price.

Martin H
14-07-2017, 10:17 AM

Is he really that good though? Genuine question. To be fair he is still only 22 now and been around forever and so maybe this is harsh but I have always been unimpressed bearing in mind his reputation.
He has always been solid but tends to be mostly invisible. For a top player I just expected him to have more impact in a game. I guess we will see at Watford.

Sceagle
14-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Overrated.

Pinkie Brown
14-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Same price we paid for Mutch

SilentAssassin
14-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Is he really that good though? Genuine question. To be fair he is still only 22 now and been around forever and so maybe this is harsh but I have always been unimpressed bearing in mind his reputation.
He has always been solid but tends to be mostly invisible. For a top player I just expected him to have more impact in a game. I guess we will see at Watford.

I think he is good enough technically for sure, physically maybe not when he was last at Watford but he has come along way since then and managed to put himself in contention at Chelsea.
If he gets the chance at Watford which I'm sure he will I think he'll take it and potentially develop into a very steady Premier League player.

It's now history in any case, but surely with fitness issues against Cabaye and McArthur, also with the chance that One may well be sold, it seemed a no brainer to me that we should have tried especially at that price.

I see what you are saying and I tend to agree. Technically he is nowhere near Cabaye and I imagine McArthur is on less of a wage than what Chalobah was at Chelsea (personal opinion as I don't know enough about that but given how much Chelsea gift to their youth teamers I would assume its a fair wack a week) and what Watford are offering him now.

I just feel even given the chance if we were after him that he would of chosen Watford for first team opportunities. If either were sold, I would of hoped he would of been on our list at targets but as you say that is history now.

Mr Palace
14-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Very good signing, along with Will Hughes who's is an excellent prospect. That's two great signings for them and nice to see them going with British players for a change rather than all their dodgy international loans.

Sir.S.C Remembered
14-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Bargain even if it doesn't work out. So worth the punt.