PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with football

greybot
09-07-2017, 10:59 AM
After hearing that Anthony Modeste (25 goals in 36 games last season) is going to China rather than stay with FC Cologne during their first outing into European football for over two decades.

After hearing United have gone all out to break a transfer record again on a single player just because the brand is more important than the actual football these days. (Richest club in the world last three years now due to the brand alone).

After hearing Costa wanted out in January for China or Atletico when he was at a club challenging for the league title.

After hearing the Arsenal fans moan, protest and gesticulate over their manager for the entire 2016/17 season when the FA Cup was still up for grabs. Do they just not see it as a major trophy anymore now Wenger delivers it all the time? Since when was a major trophy less important than a last 16 Champions League exit every season??

How can I hate the game I love at the same time so much ? :wallbash:

Of course money killing the game is nothing new. But it's clearly influencing the game more than it ever has done before. I don't like it one bit.

tasty_snacks
09-07-2017, 11:10 AM
I hear you. Try this if you want your mojo back;

http://www.nonleagueday.co.uk/

ExiledStirling
09-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Talk of Messi having become the first 1m a week player. Disgraceful IMO.

I love Palace but hate what football has become.

Catch 22. I want Palace to be successful, dream of a title win, maybe even a Champions league trophy, but we all know what that will involve.

Pat of the Palace
09-07-2017, 11:14 AM
It's very easy to hate the grubbiness that the money brings to the game. I get more out of watching my boy's team playing than professional football these days.

TopKnot
09-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Ahh who are we kidding, we love it. The drama and theatrics, egos, the farcical amounts of money being thrown around...it's what keeps us hooked to the nonsense that is modern football :)

Nostrils
09-07-2017, 11:44 AM
The money is getting crazy now, but what really gets my goat is the power that agents have over the game, not to mention how much money they take out of the game. I'm sure I heard on TS that and agency took something like 42m from the Pogba deal (I was working, so may have misheard).

Coastal Palace
09-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Look past all the ridiculous money, pampered players, scumbag agents, glory hunters and the like but it's still the greatest game in the world.
I couldn't imagine a world without the footy.

Yoda
09-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Hard to see how we can turn the clock back on this, but it does feel morally wrong.

Strangely enough, it was the fan coming on the pitch and confronting Delaney that depressed me with regards to football though. That gross sense of entitlement is something I associate with certain clubs, not Palace fans.

orp pisshead1
09-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Talk of Messi having become the first 1m a week player. Disgraceful IMO.

I love Palace but hate what football has become.

Catch 22. I want Palace to be successful, dream of a title win, maybe even a Champions league trophy, but we all know what that will involve.

Exactly why I DON'T want us too!.

orp pisshead1
09-07-2017, 12:03 PM
The money is getting crazy now, but what really gets my goat is the power that agents have over the game, not to mention how much money they take out of the game. I'm sure I heard on TS that and agency took something like 42m from the Pogba deal (I was working, so may have misheard).

Did you listen to yesterday afternoon show re a agent and wolves:eek:
That said originate from a baggies family so **** em:D.

orp pisshead1
09-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Hard to see how we can turn the clock back on this, but it does feel morally wrong.

Strangely enough, it was the fan coming on the pitch and confronting Delaney that depressed me with regards to football though. That gross sense of entitlement is something I associate with certain clubs, not Palace fans.

Agree what a twat he was:veryangry.

ExiledStirling
09-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Hard to see how we can turn the clock back on this

Could happen, and I would suggest to some level it will. TV deals are based on audience levels. When they start a trend of dipping, which will happen, less money will be offered and maybe even see some companies collapsing (It happened with ITV digital) causing financial distress to a number of clubs when it happens, and will see us draw back to some extent, to where we were before.

orp pisshead1
09-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Sky have destroyed our game :sob:

Palace Dan
09-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Could happen, and I would suggest to some level it will. TV deals are based on audience levels. When they start a trend of dipping, which will happen, less money will be offered and maybe even see some companies collapsing (It happened with ITV digital) causing financial distress to a number of clubs when it happens, and will see us draw back to some extent, to where we were before.

Absolutely. It's happened before and it may well happen again.

Crofty
09-07-2017, 12:18 PM

Murdoch is an enemy of the people...on so many levels.:jerkit::veryangry

elgin eagle
09-07-2017, 12:27 PM

It's certainly far removed from the game we started watching isn't it. Big crowds paying very little to watch physical matches involving mostly british players not earning fortunes each week. Mind you, back then the parks were full with kids playing football all the time. Everything has changed.

Yet even now I can't wait for the new season to start. It's global TV now of course, although you know murdoch will be getting his cut. Just wish the TV money could get shared more equally through the division and down into the grass roots, with proper authorities enforcing salary caps, youth development and stadium improvements. Would require uncorrupted people with balls to demand players take a zero off their wage demands to facilitate everything though, so will just continue as it is.

Nostrils
09-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Did you listen to yesterday afternoon show re a agent and wolves:eek:
That said originate from a baggies family so **** em:D.

No I didn't mate, what was the story? Please tell me an agent was thrown to the wolves.

CP-RJW
09-07-2017, 12:54 PM
The state of modern football is just the price payed for inclusiveness I suppose. The abundance of soulless stadiums with poorer atmospheres is a result of them being more inclusive for families, upper class people who "sit there eating their prawn sandwiches," and basically anyone who isn't a working class man. The ridiculous money is a result of over a billion people worldwide now being able to enjoy our premier league, with tv companies and clubs selling their merchandise taking advantage. Although it's difficult to sympathize with most of these foreign fans, as the majority are effectively glory hunters. The traditional, English fan who goes to support his local team hasn't been treated well enough though. When clubs gain extortionate amount of money from tv deals etc, its absurd that many fans have now been priced out of their own clubs by ridiculous ticket prices. Even small things such as not being able to bring your own food into Selhurst just for the sake of selling a few more burgers shows "proper" fans not being valued as much as they should be. In short, modern football has benefited everyone except for the actual grassroot supporters of clubs. Then looking at the players, the salaries and transfer fees are daft but at the end of the day it's simple supply and demand economics, and testament to how much so many people are willing to pay to watch our beautiful game. Is there any other career path on earth though where you can be paid so much to be shit at your job? I very much doubt so.

beef
09-07-2017, 01:12 PM
I recommend only watching the Palace games and give up on the press coverage entirely. England is optional but I've really enjoyed not watching them struggle.

Stavros 69
09-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Like everything it's a cycle.
Remember itv sport?
Teams/players/sports will grow and go bust and the cycle will start again.

laths
09-07-2017, 01:32 PM
What gets my goat is that a lot of players now think they are feccing film stars.

regal_eagle
09-07-2017, 01:35 PM
12 years on and the whole football world has turned into Abramobitches.

CharlieCPFC
09-07-2017, 01:36 PM
Agents
Sky
Ridiculous money
Middle class influx
Ticket Touts
Player power
Clackers
Brighton

A list of some of the problems with modern football.

Duffle Coat
09-07-2017, 02:10 PM
I still feel Palace despite all the hoopla around the modern game. Yes, the money is obscene given the disparity in wealth in the World, not to mention Britain. True, the disgraceful player behavior - YaYa's birthday cake was a moment that stands out- makes one ill. Indeed, the social issues involving drugs in sport and match fixing sicken. And yet, through it all, Palace are still Palace to me. They are the Palace I started following in 1969 with John McCormick (RIP), John Jackson, Gerry Queen, John Sewell(RIP) et al. Wherever I am and whatever I do, I could never leave Palace. Modern football has very little to with Palace and my love of the club.

CPFC since 1989
09-07-2017, 02:11 PM
It's too predictable. We always stay up and collect 100m when passing go.

orp pisshead1
09-07-2017, 02:18 PM
No I didn't mate, what was the story? Please tell me an agent was thrown to the wolves.

:D no but think they were implying he(agent) basically runs wolves. Try and get the podcast Sam mattaface( sp) show.

Stavros 69
09-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Agents
Sky
Ridiculous money
Middle class influx
Ticket Touts
Player power
Clackers
Brighton

Middle class influence. Lol

Nostrils
09-07-2017, 02:28 PM
:D no but think they were implying he(agent) basically runs wolves. Try and get the podcast Sam mattaface( sp) show.
Oh sorry, yeah I've heard about him, but his name escapes me. Wolves, or the man himself recently denied it I think.

Yoda
09-07-2017, 02:36 PM

I don't think the football audience is that liable to dip significantly, not now they've spread the audience worldwide. There is so much demand abroad that maybe this would offset any domestic dip?

I went to China last year and footballers (e.g. Messi) feature heavily in their advertising. There's an explosion of interest.

greybot
09-07-2017, 03:41 PM
It does appear to be dipping. Well domestically at least. As you suggest not enough to offset any dramatic changes in TV money from abroad though.

Sky's live Premier League viewing figures hit seven year low signalling a changing of the tides for the world's most lucrative league

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2017/06/12/skys-live-premier-league-viewing-figures-hit-seven-year-low-signalling-changing-the

greybot
09-07-2017, 03:43 PM
I hear you. Try this if you want your mojo back;

http://www.nonleagueday.co.uk/

Thanks. Will give it a go :p

Hedgehog
09-07-2017, 04:08 PM
I still feel Palace despite all the hoopla around the modern game. Yes, the money is obscene given the disparity in wealth in the World, not to mention Britain. True, the disgraceful player behavior - YaYa's birthday cake was a moment that stands out- makes one ill. Indeed, the social issues involving drugs in sport and match fixing sicken. And yet, through it all, Palace are still Palace to me. They are the Palace I started following in 1969 with John McCormick (RIP), John Jackson, Gerry Queen, John Sewell(RIP) et al. Wherever I am and whatever I do, I could never leave Palace. Modern football has very little to with Palace and my love of the club.
I believe John Sewell is still with us.

When I was over for the Cup Final last year it struck me that the Palace fans were no different to they were 35 years ago when I went regularly. The mentality seemed the same, maybe a bit more affluent, but then that is a whole English thing I've noticed.

One observation is (and it maybe because it was the cup final), was it all seemed a bit scripted... produced for TV so to speak... all the crap with the giant flag on the pitch for a about a 5 minute segment, rush to do Abide With Me and the National Anthem all seemed to be going through a check list. Again - I've not been to a league match for many years, so this may not be the norm.

jimos_uk
09-07-2017, 04:33 PM
I genuinely think that, at some point in the next few years, a distinguished, former Premier League club will disappear off the face of the planet due to unconscionable spending.

I thought it would be Portsmouth, but their fans mobilised. Should a club like a Bolton or Wigan (in progress), a Watford or a Burnley (or even a Brighton?), massively overspend, get relegated, fail to get promoted, lose their backing, could we see that rebuilding process happen again?

Sky do have a lot to answer for. Murdoch has a litany of crimes to be answered for.

Always a Palace fan, not a football fan any more.

greybot
09-07-2017, 04:52 PM

When I was over for the Cup Final last year it struck me that the Palace fans were no different to they were 35 years ago when I went regularly. The mentality seemed the same, maybe a bit more affluent, but then that is a whole English thing I've noticed.

One observation is (and it maybe because it was the cup final), was it all seemed a bit scripted... produced for TV so to speak... all the crap with the giant flag on the pitch for a about a 5 minute segment, rush to do Abide With Me and the National Anthem all seemed to be going through a check list. Again - I've not been to a league match for many years, so this may not be the norm.

We are transitioning every season more and more into an Americanized club to suit the wider audience IMO. T-shirt shooting cheerleaders, Tannoy system pumping out NBA tracks pre and half time show, epileptic inducing light show for mid week games, fan facing advertising boards, club shop filled to the rafters with tat for tourists.

The foam finger the new half an half scarf :grrr:
http://i.imgur.com/8NpA0oX.png

Yoda
09-07-2017, 05:14 PM
It does appear to be dipping. Well domestically at least. As you suggest not enough to offset any dramatic changes in TV money from abroad though.

Sky's live Premier League viewing figures hit seven year low signalling a changing of the tides for the world's most lucrative league

http://www.thedrum.com/news/2017/06/12/skys-live-premier-league-viewing-figures-hit-seven-year-low-signalling-changing-the

Interesting.

My personal experience is that I think there are too many live matches broadcast. There's no way I'm going to watch 4-5 matches on a weekend...I might pick one specifically, plus ofcourse anything to do with Palace.

So my viewing contribution would probably be watching the Sky highlights package of the Palace match on Saturday night, plus one Sunday match. Which means there are 3-4 matches at least per week which I'm not bothering with.

Are they killing the golden goose with too much coverage?

I wonder whether the number of UK viewers is roughly the same, but spreading them out across more matches means the audience for each game will drop in size as they exercise choice?

tamlamotowner
09-07-2017, 05:16 PM
I am afraid that the unavoidable outcome of the wat the game has gone with all the money and commerce eg is that Football will eventually eat itself.

tamlamotowner
09-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Sorry about the typos above

orp pisshead1
09-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Oh sorry, yeah I've heard about him, but his name escapes me. Wolves, or the man himself recently denied it I think.

Think it's the 'super agent' involved.

Duffle Coat
09-07-2017, 05:46 PM

My bad. :eek: Humblest apologies to Mr Sewell.

Sam Spade
09-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Middle class influence. Lol

He said "influx" not "influence". By which he might of meant the general gentrification of the upper levels of English football following the intervention of Sky in 1992, the construction of souless out of town stadia and the constant blathering about the quality of food available at matches for example.
Lol indeed.

ElwissAtMemphis
09-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Let's be honest, the past 4 seasons have been fantastic, particularly to those of us that endured Palace thoughout the 80s. No way would I roll the clock back to 5K attendances while watching players of catastrophic ineptitude. A time when comfortably avoiding relegation from the 2nd division before the final match of the season was seen as an achievement.

Give me our current run in The Premiership any day. Zaha/Cabaye/Benteke/Milivojevic v Aylott/Stebbing/McCulloch/Ketteridge. Generally speaking the atmosphere's much better now. The quality of the football is light years ahead. You can watch almost every match one way or another if you can't afford to attend.

If we were in League One or whatever it's called this year, I accept it would be pretty damn bleak but we're not. Yes the transfer fees and salaries are obscene but what's the alternative? That the oligarchs, middle-eastern minor royalty, hedge fund managers and betting website moguls trouser the revenue. At least the players get a fair cut for their talent?

I remember kicking off the 87/88 season against Huddersfield Town at London Road. Looking back with sepia-tinged nostalgia, those days were a laugh but would I swap our up-coming season opener with Huddersfield with Frank de Boer at the helm and selection headaches like which one of 3 full-international left-backs gets the nod or does our Welsh Number 1 goalkeeper keep his place in favour of the 2nd best keeper in France. It's a no-brainer isn't it?

There are undoubted negatives but overall, I'm more than happy with the way things are going. If we do a Charlton, get back to me in 3 years time. I suspect my opinion will have changed.

Dorking .Eagle
09-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Leeds Road, but otherwise a superb post.

Personally never paid to watch televised football be it Sky, BT, Croydon Cable or anything else, but am lucky to be able to have always gone every Palace game.

Think if clubs could bring in rail standing or whatever it is called then it will breathe some life into some flat stadium atmospheres, but still think a lot of what the top level game has become is artificial and plastic

Pistol Knight
09-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Agents
Sky
Ridiculous money
Middle class influx
Ticket Touts
Player power
Clackers
Brighton

you forgot tourists

CPFC.1990
09-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Football's great. From the conference to the big leagues.

alexcpfc
09-07-2017, 09:09 PM
It's all about the money I'm afraid. It's crazy and quite sickening so I try to block it all out and just concentrate on us.

I love watching Palace no matter what but the proper football fan has been priced out of going to the game. Now it's all about maximising profits in soulless stadiums full of people with clackers, half and half scarves.

Tim
09-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Add diving & blatant cheating to that list..

art malice
09-07-2017, 09:30 PM
It's a load of wank but I love it

cappuccinoeagle
09-07-2017, 10:17 PM
Over hyped,especially on Sky (Super Sunday blah blah) pleased I got rid of it,waste of money. MOTD are starting to over hype it too.

palacelad197o
09-07-2017, 10:40 PM
There is no doubt that the best league in the world is the championship

palacelad197o
09-07-2017, 10:41 PM
Over hyped,especially on Sky (Super Sunday blah blah) pleased I got rid of it,waste of money. MOTD are starting to over hype it too.

Totally agree hence why the kodi option is better no hype just he game

palacelad197o
09-07-2017, 10:42 PM
It's all about the money I'm afraid. It's crazy and quite sickening so I try to block it all out and just concentrate on us.

I love watching Palace no matter what but the proper football fan has been priced out of going to the game. Now it's all about maximising profits in soulless stadiums full of people with clackers, half and half scarves.

Another one spot on

palacelad197o
09-07-2017, 10:44 PM
Let's be honest, the past 4 seasons have been fantastic, particularly to those of us that endured Palace thoughout the 80s. No way would I roll the clock back to 5K attendances while watching players of catastrophic ineptitude. A time when comfortably avoiding relegation from the 2nd division before the final match of the season was seen as an achievement.

Give me our current run in The Premiership any day. Zaha/Cabaye/Benteke/Milivojevic v Aylott/Stebbing/McCulloch/Ketteridge. Generally speaking the atmosphere's much better now. The quality of the football is light years ahead. You can watch almost every match one way or another if you can't afford to attend.

If we were in League One or whatever it's called this year, I accept it would be pretty damn bleak but we're not. Yes the transfer fees and salaries are obscene but what's the alternative? That the oligarchs, middle-eastern minor royalty, hedge fund managers and betting website moguls trouser the revenue. At least the players get a fair cut for their talent?

I remember kicking off the 87/88 season against Huddersfield Town at London Road. Looking back with sepia-tinged nostalgia, those days were a laugh but would I swap our up-coming season opener with Huddersfield with Frank de Boer at the helm and selection headaches like which one of 3 full-international left-backs gets the nod or does our Welsh Number 1 goalkeeper keep his place in favour of the 2nd best keeper in France. It's a no-brainer isn't it?

There are undoubted negatives but overall, I'm more than happy with the way things are going. If we do a Charlton, get back to me in 3 years time. I suspect my opinion will have changed.

Well the french keeper is already been sorted for de boer so no selection headache there

Jasper
10-07-2017, 12:01 AM

An interesting point. Football is probably one of the few industries where the people who are doing the work get paid a fair proportion of what they generate for their employer. Players get paid 200k per week because the clubs can afford to pay it.
It might seem obscene that a guy in is 20s gets that sort of money, but probably better than the billionaires at the top getting it.

The main issue for me is the ticket prices. With all the money in the game there is no justification to charge 40, 50, 60 for a football match. Unfortunately while there is still a high demand that won't change.

Hedgehog
10-07-2017, 12:40 AM
I think the fact Palace can generate north of 100 Million pounds in income per year, but cannot build a new stand that might cost 50-75 Million, but will last for the next 50 years.

It's all so short sighted these days.

Another example is freezing out youth development players and going with the aging journeyman quick fix every time.

Herb
10-07-2017, 12:57 AM

:sleepy::sleepy:

Dorking .Eagle
10-07-2017, 05:43 AM
I think the fact Palace can generate north of 100 Million pounds in income per year, but cannot build a new stand that might cost 50-75 Million, but will last for the next 50 years.

It's all so short sighted these days.

^this. When we got promoted in 2013, most assumed we'd come straight down, 'but at least we'll do something about the ground'. Sadly cladding, a fancy new screen and a desso pitch with undersoil heating, whilst not cheap are just lipstick on a pig and continue what has become a tradition over the last 20 years!

PauLo
10-07-2017, 08:57 AM
Football evolves. It's up to you whether you want to evolve with it.

I dunno about anyone else, but i'm there for the game and the team. Not the money. Not sponsors or owners or agents or whatever else. I go along to watch Palace. Couldn't care less about the rest of it.

FourtyTwo
10-07-2017, 11:20 AM
I recommend only watching the Palace games and give up on the press coverage entirely. England is optional but I've really enjoyed not watching them struggle.

I have said a lot recently that I don't like football, I like Crystal Palace. Only watch us play, as I really struggle to generate any interest in any other match! I think it shows that, if we'd folded in 2010, I'd have probably drifted completely away from football!

Pub Idol
10-07-2017, 11:29 AM
One thing for me that is key. Palace between 1995-2013 could not compete and really a one season up was best we could hope for.

Things are different now - the sheer volume of tv moneys means that clubs like ourselves can actually stay up and compete because we essentially are as wealthy as teams that have been traditionally much bigger and stronger. The money has also meant that little Palace have gone to Liverpool 3 times and won - Beaten Chelsea (twice) and even beat bloody Arsenal 3-0!

Not all bad - Although I agree with much the OP says.

GreatGonzo
10-07-2017, 11:35 AM
After hearing that Anthony Modeste (25 goals in 36 games last season) is going to China rather than stay with FC Cologne during their first outing into European football for over two decades.

After hearing United have gone all out to break a transfer record again on a single player just because the brand is more important than the actual football these days. (Richest club in the world last three years now due to the brand alone).

After hearing Costa wanted out in January for China or Atletico when he was at a club challenging for the league title.

After hearing the Arsenal fans moan, protest and gesticulate over their manager for the entire 2016/17 season when the FA Cup was still up for grabs. Do they just not see it as a major trophy anymore now Wenger delivers it all the time? Since when was a major trophy less important than a last 16 Champions League exit every season??

How can I hate the game I love at the same time so much ? :wallbash:

Of course money killing the game is nothing new. But it's clearly influencing the game more than it ever has done before. I don't like it one bit.

For me it is the reports that Lukaku will move to Man Utd not necessarily because he will earn more there, not because they have offered the other club more money. No none of those football reasons but because Man utd will pay the Agent the fees he wants to make the deal go through. The same Agent as the manager and 3 of the players who moved there last summer.

The role of Agents in the game now is disgraceful.

PauLo
10-07-2017, 11:38 AM

There's nothing I like more than watching players with no skill passing it to a 17 year olds on loan from a Premier League club who's then tackled by a 35 past it defender from the 2nd tier of the French league play out to dull 0-0 in front of 12000 people.

jimos_uk
10-07-2017, 11:40 AM
I have said a lot recently that I don't like football, I like Crystal Palace. Only watch us play, as I really struggle to generate any interest in any other match! I think it shows that, if we'd folded in 2010, I'd have probably drifted completely away from football!

Preach, Oli. :p

Reg_Maudling
10-07-2017, 11:44 AM
There will be a crash and it won't be all bad for football
A crash is inevitable
Internet streaming may be one cause when people stop subscribing to sky and bt
A full corruption and match fixing scandal is surely just a matter of time as well
Average age of spectator is getting higher and young people have got so much more else to do and have decreasing interest in club loyalty
There could end up a lot of very underused stadiums when the crash comes

brighton_eagle
10-07-2017, 11:56 AM

I only watch Palace. Not really interested in other teams. I do watch World Cups/Euros finals, but not normally the qualifiers.

brighton_eagle
10-07-2017, 11:57 AM

I assumed had that happened we'd reform as a non league club and start again, which I'd have been up for. Otherwise, I'd have been the done with football too.

FourtyTwo
10-07-2017, 12:08 PM
I assumed had that happened we'd reform as a non league club and start again, which I'd have been up for. Otherwise, I'd have been the done with football too.

If I'd been local, I would probably have agreed with that, but living in Yorkshire wouldn't have given much opportunity to support the reformed club, at least for the first few years.

Oli28
10-07-2017, 12:11 PM
There's nothing I like more than watching players with no skill passing it to a 17 year olds on loan from a Premier League club who's then tackled by a 35 past it defender from the 2nd tier of the French league play out to dull 0-0 in front of 12000 people.
12,000 rattling around a 25,000 seater bowl in most cases.

The Championship final day/playoffs is always great excitement but the run of the mill matches are generally very drab for the neutral.

Reg_Maudling
10-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Most football is drab for the neutral

The championship is competitive and competition is more important than the highest quality if you are watching it

tsunamiman
10-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Sky keep picking crap matches. They need to stop placating to teams with a small following. Even though I want to see our team on TV.

What Neutral is going to watch Palace vs Burnley or Swansea vs Newcastle over Leicester vs Chelsea or Everton vs Spurs.

OriginalNutter
10-07-2017, 12:37 PM
The demise of the boiled burgers and rehydrated onions in the Arthur did it for me.
Once they had gone i knew football would never be the same

JAS78
10-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Sky keep picking crap matches. They need to stop placating to teams with a small following. Even though I want to see our team on TV.

What Neutral is going to watch Palace vs Burnley or Swansea vs Newcastle over Leicester vs Chelsea or Everton vs Spurs.

What an odd post

Stats74
10-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Think they have to show a minimum amount of games (possibly eight between Sky and BT) and a facility fee is paid of around 1.7m a match. So it tries to share the money around. Not very well though because Liverpool were on 29 times with Man U on 31 out of 38!

Big Fella
10-07-2017, 12:59 PM
As long as you don't buy into the Sky/BT hype then it's still great. I watch what I want to watch and not what Sky try and tell me. Super Sunday, Derby Day, Manic Monday "best league in the world" nonsense; ignore all that.

GreatGonzo
10-07-2017, 04:23 PM
In terms of money they should do similar to sports in the US.

The further down the league in terms of televised matches you are the MORE you get paid.

Man U who have 31 of 38 live on SKY therefore receive the least amount of TV money.

Afterall it is the TV exposure that allows them to rake in huge merchandising and sponsorship deals.

Hibernator
10-07-2017, 08:27 PM
A crash is inevitable
A full corruption and match fixing scandal is surely just a matter of time as well
Average age of spectator is getting higher and young people have got so much more else to do and have decreasing interest in club loyalty

You are Private Frazer and I claim my Five Pounds..

We're Doomed I tells ya, Doomed

Hibernator
10-07-2017, 08:30 PM
The demise of the boiled burgers and rehydrated onions in the Arthur did it for me.
Once they had gone i knew football would never be the same

I remember those, It was just a gut feeling

Reg_Maudling
10-07-2017, 09:22 PM
You are Private Frazer and I claim my Five Pounds..

We're Doomed I tells ya, Doomed

You should read the first line again

It won't be a bad thing in many ways

KYLIE MINEAGLE
11-07-2017, 06:56 AM

Is that why everyone is trying desperately to get out of it.

Kylie_Tracey
11-07-2017, 07:51 AM

that reminds me of a vast percentage of PL games albeit maybe a three quarters full stadium bereft of any atmosphere whatsoever

Night Eagle
11-07-2017, 07:55 AM
A crash is inevitable

Agree with a lot of this.

tsunamiman
11-07-2017, 10:46 AM
With the TV money they should do as others have said and run it like the US where the TV money is spread evenly among the teams to create some parity.

I also think we need to ditch the 3pm non televised aspect and allow games to be streamed. Having Saturday afternoons watching people watching the games is so strange.

People in other countries can see our sport so why can't we. People stream them illegally anyway so why not legitimize it and allow people to watch all of the games their team plays. This will in turn build a better following for your team and will get people to the games rather than turning people away.

pallet
11-07-2017, 12:32 PM
At some point the money must dry up, it cannot sustain itself at this rate.

Thanet Eagle
11-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Try and get along to a non-league game. Refreshing after all the Premier League BS.

WorthingEagle
11-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Try and get along to a non-league game. Refreshing after all the Premier League BS.

Even at that level it can be depressing with clubs paying amateurs far more than they can afford chasing glory, before it inevitably falls apart and the manager runs off with all the players to the next overambtious club...

Terrace Bickle
12-07-2017, 06:36 AM
At some point the money must dry up, it cannot sustain itself at this rate.
You would hope. Perhaps it'll be people ditching Sky packages when the shit hits the fan with their dodgy car loan deals.

cpfc4evandeva
14-07-2017, 06:33 AM
If interest starts to significantly fade in this country with regards to tv, the Premier League will just start playing matches in Asia and North America.

Maiden Eagle
14-07-2017, 06:44 AM
When you hear that Man Citeh are prepared to pay 50mil for Kyle Walker, you know that Football in this country has gone mad !
It's got to the stage where you read that Palace are going to pay 7/8mil for a Dutch defender and you almost thinking that is a bargain buy !!:clown::embarass:

Reg_Maudling
14-07-2017, 06:46 AM
A big threat financially to English football will be when the Chinese start pulling star players away in their prime and the global TV market focuses on the Chinese league

Kylie_Tracey
14-07-2017, 07:29 AM
If interest starts to significantly fade in this country with regards to tv, the Premier League will just start playing matches in Asia and North America.

thats going to come isnt it , plus I see pay per view for matches also

Ralph
14-07-2017, 07:42 AM
A big threat financially to English football will be when the Chinese start pulling star players away in their prime and the global TV market focuses on the Chinese league

But they've been saying this about emerging nations for years; Russia, the US, Japan and now China.

The reality is the biggest brands in world football are in the UK; their history, their heritage and even their stadiums are what make the league so popular. Not merely the players.

For me it's more likely that we'll see the Champions League expanded to include clubs outside of Europe into some form of World Master League and it's feasible we'll see a decline (even further) to the depth of funding to our game...so it'll be League One and League Two that'll suffer first. Maybe even a cull to the number of teams in the Premier League whilst a far larger international club competition takes priority.

GJN
14-07-2017, 08:28 AM
Beyond Palace I have to say I struggle now. I rarely watch a neutral game with any kind of excitement.

The national team is an embarrassment, and has been since 2002. Players are picked on which club they play for, and not on any kind of analysis of ability and form.

aj4england
14-07-2017, 08:46 AM
But they've been saying this about emerging nations for years; Russia, the US, Japan and now China.

The reality is the biggest brands in world football are in the UK; their history, their heritage and even their stadiums are what make the league so popular. Not merely the players.

For me it's more likely that we'll see the Champions League expanded to include clubs outside of Europe into some form of World Master League and it's feasible we'll see a decline (even further) to the depth of funding to our game...so it'll be League One and League Two that'll suffer first. Maybe even a cull to the number of teams in the Premier League whilst a far larger international club competition takes priority.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a 10 team premier league. Top 4 qualify for the Super European Cup, 5 and 6 for the Lower level European Cup, 7 + 8 (mid table) 9 + 10 playoff for relegation. 18 game season to be spread out to allow clubs to play in a European cup league as well.

Super Euoropean Cup has top 32 clubs in the world compete across 4 x 8 team leagues with the winners and runners up forming a knockout stage like champions league currently has.

Shortened premiership league allows these games to be played at the weekend.

eagle mart
14-07-2017, 08:52 AM
The national team is an embarrassment, and has been since 2002. Players are picked on which club they play for, and not on any kind of analysis of ability and form.

Agreed. England stopped being a serious team to 'follow' when it became a brand. Players are picked on the clubs they play for, for sure. And if they aren't in the big 7/8 they are encouraged to join them. Because the FA want MAnU / Chelsea / Arsenal players representing them, it's what the world wants to see.

$$$$

greybot
24-07-2017, 12:38 PM
City's defence:

Kyle Walker 54m
Benjamin Mendy 52m
John Stones 47.5m
Ederson 35
Nicolas Otamendi 32m
Danilo 26m
Bravo 17m

Ronald Mc****ingDonald led Real Madrid and United out yesterday. :wallbash:

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article10858843.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Screen-Shot-2017-07-23-at-223937.jpg

Palace121
24-07-2017, 12:44 PM
City's defence: Kyle Walker 54m Benjamin Mendy 52m John Stones 47.5m Ederson 35 Nicolas Otamendi 32m Danilo 26m Bravo 17m Ronald Mc****ingDonald led Real Madrid and United out yesterday. :wallbash: http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article10858843.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Screen-Shot-2017-07-23-at-223937.jpg

Suddenly Sakho looks an absolute steal at 30m. :wallbash:

cpfc4evandeva
24-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Based on what I've seen, I reckon Sakho is better than all of them.

Tough to choose between Mutch and McDonald though.

Sick Bucket
24-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Beyond Palace I have to say I struggle now. I rarely watch a neutral game with any kind of excitement.

Yeah me too, I'll watch MOTD and enjoy it but that's about it. The agents and money really is disgusting, so many people struggling to survive and then there's footballers getting paid insane 6 figure salaries for what? kicking a ball around, it's totally immoral.

Ninjas Headband
24-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Yeah me too, I'll watch MOTD and enjoy it but that's about it. The agents and money really is disgusting, so many people struggling to survive and then there's footballers getting paid insane 6 figure salaries for what? kicking a ball around, it's totally immoral.

Yep! Disgusting, corrupt sport at the top level now & has been for many years. Still love the Palace though & all the things that I connect with it.

jimmy the gent
24-07-2017, 02:06 PM
http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article10858843.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Screen-Shot-2017-07-23-at-223937.jpg

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/resources/images/5037747.jpg?display=1&htype=60&type=responsive-gallery

pallet
26-07-2017, 08:03 AM

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article10858843.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Screen-Shot-2017-07-23-at-223937.jpg[/QUOTE]
Thought that was the wankers new away kit

art malice
26-07-2017, 08:04 AM

Thought that was the wankers new away kit[/QUOTE]

Looks like one of Harry Enfield's scousers

pallet
26-07-2017, 08:10 AM
With the current situation with M'Bape being worth an estimated 160m is it? Is this what we should be supporting? A sport that is now so awash with money that it thinks nothing of spending the national debt of some countries in the world on a young unproven footballer?
I love Palace but at some point in the very near future if we dont start standing up to this as supporters we are going to lose our game altogether. How many seasons before it becomes too expensive to go to football, someone put on here a ticket for Chelsea at home is going to be 50, much more than this and I wont be going anymore, yes we want decent players and we want to be in the Premier league but at what cost.
People rightly were disgusted at the Fifa officials taking back handers and bribes but you can see why when there is some much money about and its so easy.

WorthingEagle
26-07-2017, 08:19 AM
It really has gone absolutely mental this summer. Had to laugh at Mourinho complaining about people paying huge fees for ordinary players and distorting the market - he started the ball rolling paying 100m for a 15m player. Now everyone is valued against that benchmark, and let's face it, there's a hell of a lot of players better than Pogba out there whose market value doubled or tripled as a result.

Jerry Murphy's Fringe
26-07-2017, 08:40 AM
Don't worry, the hellish nightmare that is the new season is only three weeks away. Enjoy this period of despondency before the angst laden maelstrom of despair commences in earnest.

wedgetail
26-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Football is now at peak money, or very close to the peak. I can see a correction with TV money starting to fall. This may be disguised by a few clubs splashing out due to conspicious spending by neaveau riche billionaires from the Gulf, Russia or China but this source of money will quickly dissipate when the glamour of owning a football club wears off.

Polish Pete
26-07-2017, 09:27 AM
I posted this on another thread but will repeat. I went recently to the Sydney fc vs Arsenal game. A contractor had bought the tickets. It was an 80000 crowd for a friendly where imho there wasnt that much of an effort from arsenal. They did an 11 man substitution in the second half. The tickets cost 135 bucks. About 70 quid. The Liverpool game as i understand the same.

Polish Pete
26-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Depressing . Not just seeing arsenal but 50% of the stadium were wearing arsenal shirts. Money talks bullshit walks . As they said in Spinal Tap

Kylie_Tracey
26-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Depressing . Not just seeing arsenal but 50% of the stadium were wearing arsenal shirts. Money talks bullshit walks . As they said in Spinal Tap

thats outrageous,70! I like it when the fans of our uber rich British clubs talk about the amount of foreign fans they have overseas when they go and play these lucrative friendlies, and you will see the masses of these so called fans wearing Chelsea tops for a game, and the exact same fans will wear Liverpool tops for the next game and ManU tops the game after etc, I know a lad from Dubai who claims to support Chelsea/ManU and Juventus!

WorthingEagle
26-07-2017, 10:16 AM
thats outrageous,70! I like it when the fans of our uber rich British clubs talk about the amount of foreign fans they have overseas when they go and play these lucrative friendlies, and you will see the masses of these so called fans wearing Chelsea tops for a game, and the exact same fans will wear Liverpool tops for the next game and ManU tops the game after etc, I know a lad from Dubai who claims to support Chelsea/ManU and Juventus!

The Asia Cup was all a bit Fast Show...."I'm a true blue, gunner gooner! Soccer!".

Quite a loud cheer when Leicester scored against Liverpool, despite 99% of the crowd wearing Liverpool shirts. :D

KYLIE MINEAGLE
26-07-2017, 10:18 AM
And 70 quid only represents ticket sales. The Amount of Arsenal Sydney 2017 tops I saw the following day makes you wonder what the merchandising was worth.

Mr Mojo Risin
26-07-2017, 10:47 AM
The amount of money and hype around football is ridiculous. But it makes me love Palace more. I love that a relatively unglamorous club playing in a fairly ramshackle dated stadium have given a bloody nose to the global brands that are Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal over the last few seasons (and hopefully Man Utd this season).

danpalace07
27-07-2017, 01:34 AM
The amount of money and hype around football is ridiculous. But it makes me love Palace more. I love that a relatively unglamorous club playing in a fairly ramshackle dated stadium have given a bloody nose to the global brands that are Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal over the last few seasons (and hopefully Man Utd this season).

Don't forget Man City and Spurs

Polish Pete
27-07-2017, 02:50 AM
And 70 quid only represents ticket sales. The Amount of Arsenal Sydney 2017 tops I saw the following day makes you wonder what the merchandising was worth.

Which were going for $130 bucks each which is 79.56 pounds at current exchange rate

Hedgehog
27-07-2017, 03:40 AM

I don't think too many players would argue with that referee's assistant on the left there!

Hedgehog
27-07-2017, 03:47 AM
It was an 80000 crowd for a friendly where imho there wasnt that much of an effort from arsenal. They did an 11 man substitution in the second half. The tickets cost 135 bucks. About 70 quid.
When will people learn that these pre-season tournaments in fringe football countries are a rip off.

They had one in Los Angeles a couple of years ago at Dodger Stadium (A baseball field converted for the event).

An Everton fan at work (they were playing) asked is I was interested, I said sure, then he told me the tickets were $125.00. Needless to say I didn't go... I'm not sure I would have even paid that if it was Palace playing.

Asked him after the game how it was... said it was a joke. Played in 100 degree weather at a snails pace, and as above star players only played 45 minutes.

Supply and demand I guess - but they can only go to the well so many times.

Tim
27-07-2017, 09:05 AM
Man City's spending on defence..

SeanPalace84
27-07-2017, 09:32 AM

Just ridiculous isnt it. Hope they **** it up this season.

WorthingEagle
27-07-2017, 09:56 AM

I bet they'll still concede the same comedy goals through over-playing and John Stones' ball-watching.

johnnybacaro
27-07-2017, 01:33 PM
honestly, i have no issue with huge ticket prices for foreign friendlies. If foreigners want to see this, which is likely much better than their football at home, then let them

My issue is how supporters of english clubs are often treated as second class citizens. Why cant club reinvestment some of this foreign money on their season ticket holders who are the core of the club. Dont care if it is reduced prices for tickets, free coach travel to away matches, but show your loyalists that you care.

cpfc4evandeva
27-07-2017, 01:48 PM
honestly, i have no issue with huge ticket prices for foreign friendlies. If foreigners want to see this, which is likely much better than their football at home, then let them

My issue is how supporters of english clubs are often treated as second class citizens. Why cant club reinvestment some of this foreign money on their season ticket holders who are the core of the club. Dont care if it is reduced prices for tickets, free coach travel to away matches, but show your loyalists that you care.

Because on the balance sheet, we (season ticket holders) are not the main income now.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I think most PL clubs see their season ticket holders just as extras on a global tv show.

WorthingEagle
27-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Because on the balance sheet, we (season ticket holders) are not the main income now.

I don't disagree with your sentiment, but I think most PL clubs see their season ticket holders just as extras on a global tv show.

They'll change their tune if/when we go down. Only some of us will tell them to shove it when they beg us to 'bring a friend to the Palace'.

Hedgehog
28-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Supply and demand I guess - but they can only go to the well so many times.
What do I know... 93,098 at the Coliseum in LA to see Mn City v Real Madrid the other night.

Insane.

One fan... "The $80 sticker price was more than worth it".

richdeniro
03-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Saw this at the Audi Cup last night....

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/night-at/audicup

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGP1eNpXcAADGr5.jpg

cpfc4evandeva
03-08-2017, 12:56 PM
Charlton ahead of the game on this one.

http://images*****ibblelive.com/2015/8/10/f5e2aa0d-a934-488c-90a4-eb3306b4b2b3.jpg

Riley
27-08-2017, 10:40 PM
In light of Dominic Fifield's article this evening... Bump.