PDA

View Full Version : Official: Jairo Riedewald signs from Ajax on 5-year contract for undisclosed fee

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Stinger1
11-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Everton are trying to hijack Crystal Palace's move for .8.6m-rated Ajax defender Jaro Riedewald.

Ronald Koeman wants the 20-year-old, who can operate at left back and on the left side of central defence, as cover for Leighton Baines and Ashley Williams.

The 6ft Netherlands international was heading to Selhurst Park for the opportunity to work with Frank de Boer, his former coach at Ajax.

But Everton have made a late bid to lure the Dutchman, who can also play as a defensive central midfielder, to Goodison Park.

The ECHO understands Koeman, who is currently travelling with the squad to Tanzania, has earmarked the highly-rated youngster as an important squad player who could play a key part in his Europa League selections.

Riedewald received his first call up to the senior Dutch team in August 2015. He has three caps.

The Ajax academy product who has made 63 appearances for the senior side, scoring twice - is represented by influential Dutch agency SEG.

Meanwhile the Blues also want Vitesse goalkeeper Eloy Roon to replace Joel Robles as back-up to 28m summer recruit Jordan Pickford.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/everton-target-ajaxs-jairo-ridewald-13317571

DHeagle
11-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Yum. Yes please.

redeyed
11-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Lukaku cash :wallbash:

GB2506
11-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Seriously!!! Everton need to **** Off this transfer window.

Joe85
11-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Everton are like a dog with two cocks.

Surely a recipe for disaster.

Eagle Kneevil
11-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Ajax won't have a team with the amount of players we are supposed to be buying off them.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
11-07-2017, 09:28 PM

Let's hope so

DaveP
11-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Seriously!!! Everton need to **** Off this transfer window.

Agree! Slowly starting to hate them this window! The new West Ham!

PauLo
11-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Agree! Slowly starting to hate them this window! The new West Ham!

The fact we're looking at players that Everton are too (instead of West Ham) must mean we're looking at a better class of player. It shows that the De Boer effect is working already IMO.

PauLo
11-07-2017, 10:32 PM
But yeah, never heard of this guy.

ForestGateEagle
11-07-2017, 11:26 PM
But yeah, never heard of this guy.

Pick a random young Dutch player - link him with de Boer
For a bit of spice - throw Koeman into the mix.

Recipe for easy money on the sports pages - by talking Double Dutch.

nicobos
12-07-2017, 04:12 AM
Must be running out of Ajax defenders to link us to!

Will be interesting to see if we actually sign any Ajax or ex Ajax players this summer or if it's all just paper talk...

Would be great if we can bring in some younger players and watch fdb improve them over the season though before turning our academy into Barca / Ajax lite!

Malarkey
12-07-2017, 07:21 AM
The fact we're looking at players that Everton are too (instead of West Ham) must mean we're looking at a better class of player. It shows that the De Boer effect is working already IMO.

This

Reps AJ
12-07-2017, 07:23 AM

Either that or we've both got Dutch managers

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 07:25 AM
Pretty sure this hap was left out of Ajax squad the other day to talk to another club..

Steamy
12-07-2017, 07:31 AM
Very versatile player and plays with a calm air the several times I have watched him. I know the real world isn't Football Manager, but he has always been immense for me as Palace in the game...usually before leaving to a club like Barcelona for a massive profit.

Yes please.

Nigelbrag
12-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Surely not, we already have THREE players more than capable to play the Left sided role, unless it is at CB. What has happened to Veltman? surely he fits the role we Need better.

GreatGonzo
12-07-2017, 08:06 AM
Surely not, we already have THREE players more than capable to play the Left sided role, unless it is at CB. What has happened to Veltman? surely he fits the role we Need better.

Can play left sided CB. De Boer used him alongside Veltman in the centre of defence.

The choice is to come to Palace and play in the 1st team or got to Everton as cover and in the Europa League team i would hope he would chose 1st team football playing for a manager he has played for before.

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 08:07 AM
@AFCAjax: Jairo Riedewald komt vandaag niet in actie, zijn management is met toestemming van #Ajax in gesprek met een andere club.

#AjaxInZillertal

Translates as

Jairo Riedewald comes today not in action, its management is with permission from #Ajax talking to another club.

#AjaxInZillertal

This was 4 days ago

Liam_Palace
12-07-2017, 08:11 AM
Everton reported to Ajax on Tuesday at Jairo Riedewald, but Ronald Koeman's club seems to be late. The player would in principle have dropped his choice at Crystal Palace. This is a reunion with Frank de Boer next, unless another megabod for club and player comes.
Crystal Palace, who also officially reported to Ajax Marc Overmars of Ajax, would be willing to table the transfer fee (just over 8 million euros, excluding bonuses) that Ajax wants. Crystal Palace has a lot to spend on the huge revenues of the TV money, which means that the deal can be quickly seized. De Boer made Riedewald debut at Ajax and became international. Peter Bosz praised the product of his own education, seeing him as the only defensive midfielder, but did not seem to need him anymore.
With the forthcoming transfer to Crystal Palace, Riedewald will get his dream transfer to the Premier League. His previous Forza observers were almost in the winter break with Tottenham Hotspur, but the player decided to stay in Amsterdam. His new SEG management came up with Crystal Palace.

http://m.telegraaf.nl/telesport/article/28619161/jairo-riedewald-op-weg-naar-club-frank-de-boer

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 08:14 AM
Everton reported to Ajax on Tuesday at Jairo Riedewald, but Ronald Koeman's club seems to be late. The player would in principle have dropped his choice at Crystal Palace. This is a reunion with Frank de Boer next, unless another megabod for club and player comes.
Crystal Palace, who also officially reported to Ajax Marc Overmars of Ajax, would be willing to table the transfer fee (just over 8 million euros, excluding bonuses) that Ajax wants. Crystal Palace has a lot to spend on the huge revenues of the TV money, which means that the deal can be quickly seized. De Boer made Riedewald debut at Ajax and became international. Peter Bosz praised the product of his own education, seeing him as the only defensive midfielder, but did not seem to need him anymore.
With the forthcoming transfer to Crystal Palace, Riedewald will get his dream transfer to the Premier League. His previous Forza observers were almost in the winter break with Tottenham Hotspur, but the player decided to stay in Amsterdam. His new SEG management came up with Crystal Palace.

http://m.telegraaf.nl/telesport/article/28619161/jairo-riedewald-op-weg-naar-club-frank-de-boer

Sounds promising. And for 8m. Bargain in today's market.

ChiswickEagle
12-07-2017, 08:17 AM

They seem to be aping Spurs with the Bale cash...

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 08:20 AM
Just had a quick butchers and it's being reported in holland via numerous outlets that he's coming to us for €8m

FrankieBoy
12-07-2017, 08:21 AM

Also of course.

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 08:22 AM
http://m.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=308759

If anyone speaks Dutch

nicobos
12-07-2017, 08:23 AM

Permission to start getting excited. :D

thomasbroad
12-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Ajax defender Jaro Riedewald will become Frank de Boer's first permanent signing at Crystal Palace. Fee of €8m excl bonuses via @telegraaf.

Don't want to get too excited, too quickly, but...

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Oooo... it's been tweeted by the official ajax museum.. followed by FDB himself..

Therefore it must be true

(Typed sarcastically)

GreatGonzo
12-07-2017, 08:30 AM
Appears to be right footed.

Sceagle
12-07-2017, 08:30 AM
Joining us over Everton. Good lad.

BillyTKid
12-07-2017, 08:31 AM
If this is true it shows why FDB could be such a great appointment. 20 years old, plenty of games for Ajax and capped by Holland for about 7m. If he was English it would be 25m.

thomasbroad
12-07-2017, 08:34 AM
Can play CB/LB/DM, 20 and a full Netherlands international...

Den Haag Eagle
12-07-2017, 08:35 AM
http://m.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=308759

If anyone speaks Dutch

it says he has chosen to join us .. but it also says another 'mega bid' could make it interesting

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 08:35 AM
If this is true it shows why FDB could be such a great appointment. 20 years old, plenty of games for Ajax and capped by Holland for about 7m. If he was English it would be 25m.

Agree with this.

For the price of Sakho (and I want him back) we could get 3/4 gems. And the thing to add is that if/when players like this succeed they will inevitably be sold for big profit.. much more sustainable model.

mb23
12-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Cracking signing if true.

Mitcham 74
12-07-2017, 08:42 AM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/transfers/crystal-palace-beat-everton-signing-ajax-defender-jairo-riedewald/

thomasbroad
12-07-2017, 08:45 AM
Thinking this may have been the one they were working on that excited FDB

Terrace Bickle
12-07-2017, 08:47 AM
it says he has chosen to join us .. but it also says another 'mega bid' could make it interesting
I think you'll find the original article said megabod.[emoji2]

Old Joe Paxton
12-07-2017, 08:55 AM
Hup Palace hup!

ForzaPalace
12-07-2017, 08:59 AM
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2008-08-16-deweydefeatstruman.jpg

upperteir
12-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Cultured centre back playing at palace a rare thing indeed and watched a few of the usual you tube clips didn't see much of his defending capabilities. Looks very comfortable on the ball left foot right foot. What's not to like. Let's get this one done.

ForestGateEagle
12-07-2017, 09:06 AM

:supergrin:

hdeagle
12-07-2017, 09:10 AM
It looks like Palace have fended off Everton and Newcastle and are getting him in this article.

http://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/transfer-news/ajaxs-10m-rated-defender-jairo-13318295

Malarkey
12-07-2017, 09:11 AM
It looks like Palace have fended off Everton and Newcastle and are getting him in this article.

http://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/transfer-news/ajaxs-10m-rated-defender-jairo-13318295

De Bier

RisZero
12-07-2017, 09:13 AM
I wont claim to know anything about him but im happy if we are finally taking a shot on bringing in younger potential rather than players bordering on retirement. Dont expect all of them would work out but at the lower buy in im more than happy to take the risk for those that do.

Old Joe Paxton
12-07-2017, 09:15 AM

Brilliant.

USA 1 England 10 FT
Belo Horizonte, Brazil, 1950

bigend1
12-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Not really made a position his own. Left sided cb and surprise back up for Luka perhaps? Seems he's recently been seen more of a defensive midfielder and we do need cover. I also think we'll sign two cbs so young and exciting potential for both seems good value. Hopefully he'll make a position his own under frank

Martin H
12-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Only played 60 ish games for Ajax which is no surprise at 20 I guess. At 6' is not huge for a CB but also plays at DM which is why he looks so comfortable on the ball. Some element of risk with any cross border bid but De Boer has to be a good judge here.

One thing I noticed from the few videos around is that he rarely had to make a header. The only example I can remember he headed straight up into the air which the keeper took luckily. Hardly exhaustive but nevertheless interesting. At 6' he will probably need a partner who is dominant in the air. Dann is solid in the air and on the ball but the errors and lack of pace are a concern. Tomkins probably just behind Dann in the air/passing but has better pace and fairly consistent. Just wonder still if we will bring in two CBs still.

Mr Palace
12-07-2017, 09:21 AM
I confess to know nothing about him but I like the idea of bringing in some promising young players who are ready to step into the first team now and he seems to fit the bill. It would be great to bring in 2 or 3 like this while moving on the players who are adding very little. I think we've started that by letting go the likes of Ledley, Flamini, Fryers and hopefully Mutch, Lee and one or two others go too.

Mr Palace
12-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Only played 60 ish games for Ajax which is no surprise at 20 I guess. At 6' is not huge for a CB but also plays at DM which is why he looks so comfortable on the ball. Some element of risk with any cross border bid but De Boer has to be a good judge here.

One thing I noticed from the few videos around is that he rarely had to make a header. The only example I can remember he headed straight up into the air which the keeper took luckily. Hardly exhaustive but nevertheless interesting. At 6' he will probably need a partner who is dominant in the air. Dann is solid in the air and on the ball but the errors and lack of pace are a concern. Tomkins probably just behind Dann in the air/passing but has better pace and fairly consistent. Just wonder still if we will bring in two CBs still.

I think we need two CBs so this guy plus Sakho would be the dream! Especially as Ridewald can play in numerous positions, including defensive central midfield where we don't have anyone other than Luka.

tsunamiman

McpfcS
De Boer seems to have played him at CB and Peter Boez preferred him in a defensive midfield role.

He's played a lot of football for a 20 yr old.

Seems an interesting signing.

RisZero
12-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Between this guy and Loftus-Cheek we could have a hell of alot of positions covered

Old Joe Paxton
12-07-2017, 09:27 AM
According the his wiki profile he's from Ha(a)rlem. So will be at home on the mean streets of croydon.

Not a bright post. One on the racial grounds and also the fact that to most people they have actually heard of Haarlem so not so playground-splittingly funny. Tit.

Martin H
12-07-2017, 09:27 AM
I think we need two CBs so this guy plus Sakho would be the dream! Especially as Ridewald can play in numerous positions, including defensive central midfield where we don't have anyone other than Luka.

They are both left sided CBs though. With Damo signed up its unlikely we will take them both unless he is shipped out now. I have posted a few times now that I am puzzled by the Damo signing and even more so now. But De Boer wasn't here then so .....who knows

McpfcS
12-07-2017, 09:29 AM
They are both left sided CBs though. With Damo signed up its unlikely we will take them both unless he is shipped out now. I have posted a few times now that I am puzzled by the Damo signing and even more so now. But De Boer wasn't here then so .....who knows

I think we're doing Damo a bit of a favour - there's no way he's going to feature.

TWELLSEagle
12-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Brilliant that this guy could also be decent cover for luka. Bringing much needed depth in weaker areas

aj4england
12-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Brilliant that this guy could also be decent cover for luka. Bringing much needed depth in weaker areas

Happy if he is here to cover luka , concerned if he is coming as a centre back , not tall enough in the modern game.

Mr Palace
12-07-2017, 09:59 AM

I see what you mean but we need four to five CBs and I could see Dann and Tomkins competing for the right side CB position, and Sakho and Ridewald competing for the left side. That would leave Kelly as fifth choice CB to use for emergencies. Plus Ridewald can play defebsive midfield and we don't have another player who can beyond Luka. I also imagine Ridewald could be used at LB with Schlupp competing more as a winger next season. Perhaps.

I'm also baffled by the Damo contract extension. I didn't see that coming last season and wouldn't expect him to play much this season. Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if FDB sold him if we bring in the defenders he wants.

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Happy if he is here to cover luka , concerned if he is coming as a centre back , not tall enough in the modern game.

He's 6ft not 5ft5

And considering FdB played him cb whilst at ajax I suspect that's where he will play

jamesc_24
12-07-2017, 10:01 AM

Koscielny is only an inch taller and he's not bad.

CP-RJW
12-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Koscielny is only an inch taller and he's not bad.
Puyol was 5 foot 10 and Cannavaro was 5 foot 9, they were half decent too...

Jimmy Eagle
12-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Fabio Cannavaro was 5ft 10, just saying....

Jimmy Eagle
12-07-2017, 10:07 AM
CP-RJW, damn you!!

CP-RJW
12-07-2017, 10:08 AM
:supergrin:

aj4england
12-07-2017, 10:08 AM
He's 6ft not 5ft5

And considering FdB played him cb whilst at ajax I suspect that's where he will play

Well Joel Ward is according to some websites (wiki) 6 foot 2 but would you play him at centre back by choice? I know their are a few exceptions but have my reservations. If he can leap like a gazelle then fine but not seen any evidence from the vidoes. Less concerned if hes in a back three . But real concerned if this money could have gone towards Sakho.

And quoting centre backs who have played in some of the best teams in the world where the majority of the time their midfielders and attackers have the ball, so very little defensive work is done is hardly a fair comparison.

Nostrils
12-07-2017, 10:11 AM
How high can he jump?

CharlieCPFC
12-07-2017, 10:13 AM
How high can he jump?

Higher than a white boy hopefully.

Old Joe Paxton
12-07-2017, 10:18 AM
I see what you mean but we need four to five CBs and I could see Dann and Tomkins competing for the right side CB position, and Sakho and Ridewald competing for the left side. That would leave Kelly as fifth choice CB to use for emergencies. Plus Ridewald can play defebsive midfield and we don't have another player who can beyond Luka. I also imagine Ridewald could be used at LB with Schlupp competing more as a winger next season. Perhaps.

I'm also baffled by the Damo contract extension. I didn't see that coming last season and wouldn't expect him to play much this season. Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if FDB sold him if we bring in the defenders he wants.

Sakho?

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Well Joel Ward is according to some websites (wiki) 6 foot 2 but would you play him at centre back by choice? I know their are a few exceptions but have my reservations. If he can leap like a gazelle then fine but not seen any evidence from the vidoes. Less concerned if hes in a back three . But real concerned if this money could have gone towards Sakho.

And quoting centre backs who have played in some of the best teams in the world where the majority of the time their midfielders and attackers have the ball, so very little defensive work is done is hardly a fair comparison.

I wouldn't play Joel ward centre back because he's a right back.

The bloke is 6ft. That isn't small. And most teams in the PL tend to play the ball on the deck these days.

And if the 'sakho money' buys him and 2/3 others that improve the squad then I'm all for it.

CharlieCPFC
12-07-2017, 10:28 AM
He'll probably be fundamental to how De Boer wants us to play. Someone who can build from the back and relieve the pressure from the middle if we have to go back. Not to forget his versatility which will be important given our squad depth. The purpose of the Ajax model is so the players are capable of adapting in several positions throughout the system.

aj4england
12-07-2017, 10:30 AM
I wouldn't play Joel ward centre back because he's a right back.

The bloke is 6ft. That isn't small. And most teams in the PL tend to play the ball on the deck these days.

And if the 'sakho money' buys him and 2/3 others that improve the squad then I'm all for it.

Fair enough , different opinions . Still a high percentage of goals scored from set pieces. though .Given the evidence of last season id rather stick with proven quality in central defence but i get the alternative view . I prefer sams approach - buy if they are better than what we have .

aj4england
12-07-2017, 10:30 AM

Mr Palace
12-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Sakho?

Sorry mate, wasn't sure what you meant there?

I don't think signing this chap means we necessarily won't still try to sign Sakho.

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Fair enough , different opinions . Still a high percentage of goals scored from set pieces. though .Given the evidence of last season id rather stick with proven quality in central defence but i get the alternative view . I prefer sams approach - buy if they are better than what we have .

Well he might well be better. FdB knows him better than us, he seems to be very highly rated. Buying proven quality comes at a huge price.. one that we can't afford to keep doing. Unsustainable. I would love sakho back here but 30m can go along way.. and in FdB we have someone very very well connected

GreatGonzo
12-07-2017, 10:36 AM

We would still have several 6'+ players to defend (and attack) set pieces and we may be getting a new keeper which may change how we defend set pieces, for better or for worse.

Chris K
12-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Higher than a white boy hopefully.

Racist

james powell
12-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Racist

Daft* racist.

eagles2345
12-07-2017, 10:49 AM
We would still have several 6'+ players to defend (and attack) set pieces and we may be getting a new keeper which may change how we defend set pieces, for better or for worse.

Exactly. Hennessey for example is 6 ft 6 according to wiki and is hardly commanding whereas other players are much shorter and have far more of a precense. Hes young so will develop physically anyway, this would be a good signing

CharlieCPFC
12-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Racist

I know.

ForzaPalace
12-07-2017, 10:51 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/12/crystal-palace-set-to-complete-deal-ajax-defender-jairo-riedewald?CMP=share_btn_tw

GB2506
12-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Sounds promising

GreatGonzo
12-07-2017, 10:55 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/12/crystal-palace-set-to-complete-deal-ajax-defender-jairo-riedewald?CMP=share_btn_tw

Did he write that from the various threads on the BBS? ;)

carter
12-07-2017, 10:57 AM
A left footed centre half was needed to replace Sakho so this is obviously good news. Saw this yesterday too http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/crystal-palace-ahead-of-southampton-newcastle-and-everton-as-favourites-to-sign-defender/story-30434552-detail/story.html Better competition for Ward

David Bailey
12-07-2017, 11:06 AM
This looks like it might happen. Fingers crossed looks a good signing.

GB2506
12-07-2017, 11:07 AM
A left footed centre half was needed to replace Sakho so this is obviously good news. Saw this yesterday too http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/crystal-palace-ahead-of-southampton-newcastle-and-everton-as-favourites-to-sign-defender/story-30434552-detail/story.html Better competition for Ward

Would definitely take chambers. Another versatile player and would put Ward under pressure!

Fort Neef
12-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Sounds very promising, young ball playing defender who can cover multiple positions.

Also impressed with how the club have kept this one relatively quiet!

Friskey
12-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Would be an amazing signing.

eaglebhoy
12-07-2017, 11:28 AM
If we get both I'd be delighted [emoji4]

TWELLSEagle
12-07-2017, 11:29 AM

Cannavaro...

He's the same height as Steve Bruce

Malarkey
12-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Oh wow

st albans
12-07-2017, 11:35 AM
6'0 to 6'2 is the average height for a CB in the prem i believe

Old Joe Paxton
12-07-2017, 11:38 AM

I don't think signing this chap means we necessarily won't still try to sign Sakho.

thought that deal was dead, no?

jobiinthelastmi
12-07-2017, 11:38 AM
This is more like it!

Here we go!

st albans
12-07-2017, 11:39 AM
thought that deal was dead, no?

as a Dodo i reckon

Goldberg Basher
12-07-2017, 11:43 AM
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/everton-transfer-news-wayne-rooney-13318120

"De Telegraaf claim Everton’s interest in Jairo Riedewald has come too late, with Palace already agreeing a deal for the Dutch defender.

They say deal to take Riedewald to Selhurst Park has already been completed and he is already on his way to Palace.
The fee given is just over €8m (around 7m) excluding bonuses."

MFBias
12-07-2017, 11:45 AM
All those moaners saying we have left it too late in the window can go to hell.

JHJ EAGLE
12-07-2017, 11:48 AM

I thought that the Sakho signing had been put on the back burner?

Danny boy
12-07-2017, 12:03 PM

Dann staying as well :)

Old Joe Paxton
12-07-2017, 12:06 PM
I thought that the Sakho signing had been put on the back burner?

Quite. Hence thats why we are trawling through Ajax's and others backline for younger gems. As it were. Unless I missed it and we are looking at spending v big eg Sakho and others at the back.

Chris K
12-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Fifield seems to be our most accurate source in the press these days so if he's saying the above then we most be very close. Excellent stuff

mroakley9
12-07-2017, 12:12 PM
holy shit guys, i've just found our transfer list leaked on the internet and it looks legit. check it out. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Ajax#Current_squad)

foetus eagle
12-07-2017, 12:15 PM
holy shit guys, i've just found our transfer list leaked on the internet and it looks legit. check it out. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFC_Ajax#Current_squad)

I wouldn't mind a goalkeeper called Norbert.

exiledeagle
12-07-2017, 12:18 PM
Dann staying as well :)

Well hope so but it is only a journalist saying that

Old Joe Paxton
12-07-2017, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't mind a goalkeeper called Norbert.

How about a midfielder called Donny: we've been crying out for one of those for years...?

Those crazy Dutch etc etc

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
12-07-2017, 01:03 PM
If this comes off it will be interesting to see where and how FDB plans to use him.

Will he be a starting centre back? Back up for Luka? Or general utility man. The signings so far certainly do suggest that youth and versatility appeal to our new boss.

foetus eagle
12-07-2017, 01:18 PM
How about a midfielder called Donny: we've been crying out for one of those for years...?

Those crazy Dutch etc etc

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/buscemi-lebowski.jpg?quality=100&w=650

rambo1
12-07-2017, 01:25 PM
If this comes off it will be interesting to see where and how FDB plans to use him.

Will he be a starting centre back? Back up for Luka? Or general utility man. The signings so far certainly do suggest that youth and versatility appeal to our new boss.

Absolutely.
With the 25 Man Squad Rule,the Younger Players,Enlarge it & Players with Versatility is Essential.

brighton_eagle
12-07-2017, 01:44 PM
I think we're doing Damo a bit of a favour - there's no way he's going to feature.

We seem to have looked after most of that promotion team, and this is probably the same. Also, he's decent backup if we do get a central defender injury crisis as we did towards the end of last season.

This Ridewald chap looks like a very decent signing - can play a number of positions, is young and already very experienced. If he was English we'd be looking at paying 25-30 million, so good value for money too. With him and Loftus-Cheek we've cut the average age of the squad and got cover for potentially CB, LB, DM, CM and AM. Not bad. Looks like Frank is keen on versatile young players.

Danny boy
12-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Well hope so but it is only a journalist saying that

The most reliable one though.

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 01:46 PM

He played cb under FdB.. and I you believe reports he has chose us because he'll play more than other clubs interested

brighton_eagle
12-07-2017, 01:46 PM

I liked the look of Matthijs de Ligt from their Europa League games. Very young at 17, but a cool head.

gilesy14
12-07-2017, 01:56 PM
I liked the look of Matthijs de Ligt from their Europa League games. Very young at 17, but a cool head.

& possibly the most sought after young centre half in world football.

mikeywm3
12-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Sky now getting in on the act:

10:20
PALACE CLOSE TO RIEDEWALD

Frank De Boer is expected to agree an 8m deal for Ajax defender Jairo Riedewald, according to Sky sources.

The new Crystal Palace boss gave Riedewald his first-team debut at Ajax in 2013.

A fee and personal terms are yet to be completed but it’s understood an agreement in principle has been reached.

Kaveh Solhekol‏Verified account @SkyKaveh 3m3 minutes ago
Crystal Palace close to agreeing 8 million deal for Ajax defender Jairo Riedewald

brighton_eagle
12-07-2017, 02:42 PM
& possibly the most sought after young centre half in world football.

No doubt.

Gyro1780
12-07-2017, 03:06 PM
New signings always welcome but i'm afraid i don't follow Football outside of the English leagues so i don't know anything about these players :o :confused:

dave_who_ru
12-07-2017, 03:07 PM
We are covered at left back and at 6' probably too short for a centre half.

Certainly suits as a defensive midfielder.

Gyro1780
12-07-2017, 03:09 PM

That would be good if he can play there then... Competition for Luka :p

RisZero
12-07-2017, 03:20 PM

In general the flexibility to cover so many positions is great and something we have missed badly. Especially great in someone who doesnt even have to be named in the squad.

GreatGonzo
12-07-2017, 03:21 PM
We seem to have looked after most of that promotion team, and this is probably the same. Also, he's decent backup if we do get a central defender injury crisis as we did towards the end of last season.

Sam had him behing Schupp in the pecking order for Left CB!

Dogburger
12-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Everton are looking at Riedewald now throwing a spanner in the works

GreatGonzo
12-07-2017, 03:24 PM

That comment has already be made and largely dismissed on previous pages. Not too short to be a CB, especially in a league where strikers are often shorter now and less reliant in the air.

Martin H
12-07-2017, 03:25 PM
Does FDB use a DM as such. There is always a sitting midfielder but TBH it's more how it used to be where a midfielder is expected to do everything instead of these narrowly defined roles. 'Total football' after all. So the deepest will sit at any point in time but they rotate naturally. Who knows, just killing time until the next announcement :)

RisZero
12-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Everton are looking at Riedewald now throwing a spanner in the works

This is old, since been reported he chose us

Dogburger
12-07-2017, 03:31 PM
This is old, since been reported he chose us

That's good just came up on a transfer 'latest' page ( maybe not so latest then)

The more decent young players we can get the better . We do seem to have gone from no cover on the left to an overload of people who can play LB

GB2506
12-07-2017, 03:32 PM

He's a CB that can play LB or CM. Why is 6' too short for a CB? Fabio Cannavaro is up there with one of the best CB's to ever play the game and he was 5ft 9. If played next to a taller CB, height really isnt an issue.

FDB played him at CB for Ajax.

exiledeagle
12-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Does FDB use a DM as such. There is always a sitting midfielder but TBH it's more how it used to be where a midfielder is expected to do everything instead of these narrowly defined roles. 'Total football' after all. So the deepest will sit at any point in time but they rotate naturally. Who knows, just killing time until the next announcement :)

Could only find 2 decent videos of him , one he was in holding midfield and this one at the back . Doesn't help much as he is never under any pressure . I did notice in both videos how slow the game was and not the high intensity that we are use to .

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jairo+ridewald+videos+&view=detail&mid=8296D9F73393B999D4DC8296D9F73393B999D4DC&FORM=VIRE

Martin H
12-07-2017, 03:40 PM
Could only find 2 decent videos of him , one he was in holding midfield and this one at the back . Doesn't help much as he is never under any pressure . I did notice in both videos how slow the game was and not the high intensity that we are use to .

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jairo+ridewald+videos+&view=detail&mid=8296D9F73393B999D4DC8296D9F73393B999D4DC&FORM=VIRE

Thx - that's one that I had found earlier too - that game was at a very different pace to what we are used to but he looks composed nevertheless but TBH I would probably look OK tidying up stuff like that too..... well maybe not so much today but.

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 03:41 PM

He's a centre back.. and when has 6ft been short??

He can also play in different positions if required.. but under FdB he played centre back

AJ
12-07-2017, 03:46 PM
He's a centre back.. and when has 6ft been short??

He can also play in different positions if required.. but under FdB he played centre back
I think people are confusing Palace with other teams. Palace need 6.3 or taller defenders because our current goalkeepers prefer to stay on the line or are too dodgy coming for high balls into the box.

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 03:49 PM
I think people are confusing Palace with other teams. Palace need 6.3 or taller defenders because our current goalkeepers prefer to stay on the line or are too dodgy coming for high balls into the box.

Just aswel we will have a new one (hopefully)

Someone mentioned it earlier.. most prem defenders are between 6ft and 6ft3

6ft is fine. Especially in today's game where most of teams play on deck

Old Joe Paxton
12-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Come on Frankie the Farmer, get him over the line!!

Nostrils
12-07-2017, 03:50 PM

Must be a bit boring watching those games. A much better way to look at a player though, seeing every time they touch the ball, also good that for once the music didn't offend my ears.

Looks very good, but the first few games in the PL (if we get him) may come as a bit of a shock initially.

carter
12-07-2017, 03:52 PM
Height is such a stupid debate in football. Look at most of the best players to ever play the game.. most would be considered not tall. Football wasn't made for the lanky anyway. Basketball was

Dobbo
12-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Fifield seems to be our most accurate source in the press these days so if he's saying the above then we most be very close. Excellent stuff

Agreed. Most of the rest of them are rubbish.

4 cryingOutloud
12-07-2017, 04:15 PM

You do realise that Frank DeBoer is only 5'11" and one of the all time great central defenders don't you? ;)

Dobbo
12-07-2017, 04:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vihhlqqjuE

Very left footed, but always looks for a pass rather than hoofing it.
Sorry..this is just a repeat of Exiled Eagles Bing fottage.

jmemour
12-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Franco Baresi is 5ft9
Carles Puyol is 5ft10
Thiago Silva is 6ft
Sergio Ramos is 6ft

Neillo's Son
12-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Height does seem to matter more in the PL but is also a indictment why the England football team struggle on the international scene.

4 cryingOutloud
12-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Height is such a stupid debate in football. Look at most of the best players to ever play the game.. most would be considered not tall. Football wasn't made for the lanky anyway. Basketball was

Hold on a mo..... Peter Crouch, Height: 6′ 7″. Andy Carroll at 6'3", Per Mertesacker is 6'6''. You don't see tall midfield players though. :eek: Oh, don't forget our very own wayne hennessey at 6'6" & Scott Dann also at 6'6"

carter
12-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Hold on a mo..... Peter Crouch, Height: 6′ 7″. Andy Carroll at 6'3", Per Mertesacker is 6'6''. You don't see tall midfield players though. :eek: Oh, don't forget our very own wayne hennessey at 6'6" & Scott Dann also at 6'6"

What a fantastic set of players you've just named

GreatGonzo
12-07-2017, 04:40 PM

Peter crouch is 6'7 and when he jumps he is 6'2!

Height is not a prerequisite for being good in the air.

4 cryingOutloud
12-07-2017, 04:42 PM
What a fantastic set of players you've just named

It proved you wrong though, didn't it, and you cannot argue with success? :lux::hi:

GreatGonzo
12-07-2017, 04:46 PM
It proved you wrong though, didn't it, and you cannot argue with success? :lux::hi:

Peter Couch and Andy Carroll success? Hennessey who is derided on here?

Height can help in every position but speed, agility, anticipation and a footballing brain will trump pure height every time.

carter
12-07-2017, 04:46 PM

No I really don't think it did haha. Success??? Please name the success they've had. Mertesacker won a World Cup which they couldn't even risk playing him in the QF-Final. The rest haven't done anything special

dave_who_ru
12-07-2017, 04:49 PM
That comment has already be made and largely dismissed on previous pages. Not too short to be a CB, especially in a league where strikers are often shorter now and less reliant in the air.

I just prefer tall centre backs. But if he turns out to be as good as Cannavaro and Puyol then I won't complain.

dave_who_ru
12-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Peter Couch and Andy Carroll success? Hennessey who is derided on here?

Height can help in every position but speed, agility, anticipation and a footballing brain will trump pure height every time.

As we found out much of last season with some of our defensive displays. ;)

4 cryingOutloud
12-07-2017, 05:12 PM
As we found out much of last season with some of our defensive displays. ;)

Before or after March 2017 ?

Stinger1
12-07-2017, 05:32 PM

Have you watched us play before? Scott Dann is not even close to 6'6". More like 6'2".

james powell
12-07-2017, 05:32 PM
The S*n as well no FWIW

http://thesun.uk/61838qgR9

PauLo
12-07-2017, 05:33 PM
The S*n as well no FWIW

What does it say? No sane person should have to click that link.

cpfcfan1
12-07-2017, 05:34 PM
Nice

brooklynlou
12-07-2017, 05:34 PM
The S*n as well no FWIW

That headline is just so many degrees of wrong ...

"Crystal Palace beat off Everton interest to sign Ajax defender Jairo Riedewald in 7.1m move"

4 cryingOutloud
12-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Apparently Riedewald's already signed according to this.

http://www.squawka.com/news/everton-too-late-to-hijack-crystal-palace-move-for-jairo-riedewald/969253#sEtBoJoupYZdBzGE.97

Harry Bassett
12-07-2017, 05:44 PM
At 6'.0 tall compared to me he is very tall and I am shrinking fast!

Two very important factors about this player (a) from excerpts he looks comfortable with the ball at his feet and (b) he is not a white man so he might be able to jump.

Sleeping Giant
12-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Let other clubs have the little CB's.

exiledeagle
12-07-2017, 06:50 PM
Apparently Riedewald's already signed according to this.

http://www.squawka.com/news/everton-too-late-to-hijack-crystal-palace-move-for-jairo-riedewald/969253#sEtBoJoupYZdBzGE.97

Strange article

Starts off saying Everton appear to be too late in their attempt to buy him , then says he has already signed for us ?

Slight concern , even though he is young , in that he did not play much last year and mostly at left back

Riedewald struggled for game time at Ajax in the Eredivise last season, playing just 16 times, of which only 11 were starts.
The youngster started a number of those matches at left-back and was able to create 10 chances, and won 12 of his 15 attempted take-ons.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/everton-too-late-to-hijack-crystal-palace-move-for-jairo-riedewald/969253#UPBGbPOXLH5PrwYL.99

Bryan
12-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Interesting one. Personally I'm sort of hoping he's cover for CB (and DM) and maybe FdB gives Dann and Tomkins another run as CB partnership.

Hope this one happens though and like how the transfers are shaping up.

Do think we have to spend quite big on a striker though.

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Interesting one. Personally I'm sort of hoping he's cover for CB (and DM) and maybe FdB gives Dann and Tomkins another run as CB partnership.

Hope this one happens though and like how the transfers are shaping up.

Do think we have to spend quite big on a striker though.

He's apparently opted for us because we will give him more game time. He will start imo

danpalace07
12-07-2017, 08:35 PM
now this is the type of signing we should be going for and what you'd expect with FdB. He's not Sakho but his distribution is apparently great and he's got lots of potential and won't ask for 120k p/w, why not

exiledeagle
12-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Just a thought , if we do buy him and having got RLC , is there a slight concern that we might be going down the route of not getting the balance right as in potential and experience ? Maybe FDB thinks we have enough experience in squad as it is ?

Thefunkymonk
12-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Just a thought , if we do buy him and having got RLC , is there a slight concern that we might be going down the route of not getting the balance right as in potential and experience ? Maybe FDB thinks we have enough experience in squad as it is ?

Our squad is fairly old

El Aguila
12-07-2017, 08:50 PM
My son signed him for Palace on FIFA. It has been a great success. We reached quarters of the Champions' League, beating Real Madrid on the way.

CharlieCPFC
12-07-2017, 08:56 PM
now this is the type of signing we should be going for and what you'd expect with FdB. He's not Saho but his distribution is apparently great and he's got lots of potential and won't ask for 120k p/w, why not

Yep exactly.

Not to forget I think we've forgotten that feeling of really seeing a youngster develop and improve. We've got a patient set of supporters in all honesty (although it might not seem on here) so I think a change in style and approach will succeed here. Also In today's market in the premier league his value could be worth 4x over or more in the space of two years. That would be much more beneficial and rewarding instead of consistently having to buy the best players on the market for a club of our size.

SteveyHawking
12-07-2017, 08:56 PM
He's boss in FM17 too. Made the cock up for Manchester United's first goal in the Europa League final but we won't hold that against him.

Stinger1
12-07-2017, 09:24 PM

If they're good enough they're old enough.

meee
12-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Franco Baresi is 5ft9
Carles Puyol is 5ft10
Thiago Silva is 6ft
Sergio Ramos is 6ft

Fabio Cannavaro 5ft9

Malarkey
12-07-2017, 09:57 PM
My son signed him for Palace on FIFA. It has been a great success. We reached quarters of the Champions' League, beating Real Madrid on the way.

Can't wait

CK
12-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Puyol..... one of my favourite and most respected players ever. Loved the bloke.

CP-RJW
12-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Franco Baresi is 5ft9
Carles Puyol is 5ft10
Thiago Silva is 6ft
Sergio Ramos is 6ft
Darcy Blake is 5ft10

Eagle's Nest
12-07-2017, 10:07 PM
A scouser team couldn't sign a player with a name like Jairo. They'd be bringing it on themselves.

Pikie Punisher
12-07-2017, 10:09 PM
He's apparently opted for us because we will give him more game time.

On FIFA?

Skiddo
12-07-2017, 10:44 PM
Franco Baresi is 5ft9
Carles Puyol is 5ft10
Thiago Silva is 6ft
Sergio Ramos is 6ft

Matt Lawrence is 5ft 11 1/2

Martin H
12-07-2017, 11:05 PM
No idea if it's true but tweet says Southampton and Everton are both still trying to takeover the deal. Tell them to do one!

Shipp Ahoy!
12-07-2017, 11:14 PM
No idea if it's true but tweet says Southampton and Everton are both still trying to takeover the deal. Tell them to do one!

Sakho has shared that he had no interest in Southampton compared to us.

Everton only offering a bit part role.

Martin H
12-07-2017, 11:42 PM

But I am talking about Jairo - for once I am on topic :)

Timbo
13-07-2017, 12:28 AM

Good to hear, you sure though?

hdeagle
13-07-2017, 03:39 AM
It has also been reported that Palace are his club of choice and that a verbal agreement has been reached for him to join us despite late interest from Everton.

Kai
13-07-2017, 05:28 AM
This is exactly the type of signings we should be making. Quality youngsters who do not have to be in the 25 man squad, keeping spots open and making for more competition.

the drexciyan
13-07-2017, 06:00 AM

Good enough for me! Get him in asap.

TheCharmer1
13-07-2017, 06:12 AM
Be good to get him and the keeper in before the hk trip on sunday

Moe Lester
13-07-2017, 06:19 AM
A scouser team couldn't sign a player with a name like Jairo. They'd be bringing it on themselves.
:p

Bryan
13-07-2017, 06:59 AM

What's it got to do with him?

Neckinger Eagle
13-07-2017, 07:00 AM
We're on the march with Jairo.

Thefunkymonk
13-07-2017, 07:17 AM
http://m.telegraaf.nl/telesport/article/28629696/frank-de-boer-betaalt-9-miljoen-voor-riedewald?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=twitter&apw_campaign=1c2706ec86dbc9cdfce3b346fd5a4879

Done in next 24 hrs according to telegraaf

adman50
13-07-2017, 07:27 AM
http://m.telegraaf.nl/telesport/article/28629696/frank-de-boer-betaalt-9-miljoen-voor-riedewald?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=twitter&apw_campaign=1c2706ec86dbc9cdfce3b346fd5a4879

I'd love a sloppy 41m

Coveta
13-07-2017, 07:29 AM
My Dutch friend who thought Tete and Veltman were average says that Jairo Ridewald is a lot better and has been very surprised at his omission from the Ajax first team.

Here's hoping!

Old Joe Paxton
13-07-2017, 07:47 AM
Amazing how many good young players the Dutch and the Ajax club and academy bring through isn't it. Usually black or mixed race guys. Like south London but writ large.

CP Satellite
13-07-2017, 08:01 AM
I'd love a sloppy 41m

I usually find Ajax clean up in these tranfers.

Shoreditch CPFC
13-07-2017, 08:04 AM

I laughed :-)

exiledeagle
13-07-2017, 08:52 AM
A comment taken from Holmesdale - if honest this is my slight doubt in that the football in the Dutch League is generally played at a slow pace and it may , initially , be a culture shock for these players and maybe FDB to see how fast and intense the game is here .

As an answer to the question if I think he is good enough: I know Ajax is big name and plays in the top of the Dutch league, however the League here is so weak and the pace so much lower then the PL that I very much doubt a player who can not make it into the Ajax line up is going to sort us out immediately. He will be used to time on the ball and a much less physical approach and I honestly have my doubt but hope he proves me wrong.

Thefunkymonk
13-07-2017, 08:54 AM
A comment taken from Holmesdale - if honest this is my slight doubt in that the football in the Dutch League is generally played at a slow pace and it may , initially , be a culture shock for these players and maybe FDB to see how fast and intense the game is here .

As an answer to the question if I think he is good enough: I know Ajax is big name and plays in the top of the Dutch league, however the League here is so weak and the pace so much lower then the PL that I very much doubt a player who can not make it into the Ajax line up is going to sort us out immediately. He will be used to time on the ball and a much less physical approach and I honestly have my doubt but hope he proves me wrong.

Ah the pace of the premier league... so fast and aggressive... yet teams seem to cope fine against English teams in Europe...

ForzaPalace
13-07-2017, 08:56 AM
Ah the pace of the premier league... so fast and aggressive... yet teams seem to cope fine against English teams in Europe...

Yep. Common myth.

Jimmy Eagle
13-07-2017, 08:57 AM

Can anyone else elaborate a little more on what this says? Just a re-hash of that old story?

Thefunkymonk
13-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Yep. Common myth.

Massive myth. Our back 4 have loads of time on the ball.. especially at home
When teams sit in.

And watching that video of him playing against Wolfsburg he barely had time on the ball.. yet coped fine.

This would be an exciting signing for excellent money. No real negatives imo

Thefunkymonk
13-07-2017, 08:58 AM
Can anyone else elaborate a little more on what this says? Just a re-hash of that old story?

Done in next 24 hours essentially

Jimmy Eagle
13-07-2017, 09:05 AM

excellent

Steamy
13-07-2017, 09:16 AM

No! Come on Steve...make us wait a little longer. I want teasing Tweets first!

Great news if true. Looking forward to seeing him in Red and Blue.

Stockport_Eagle
13-07-2017, 09:32 AM
It has also been reported that Palace are his club of choice and that a verbal agreement has been reached for him to join us despite late interest from Everton.
Let's just hope we've sent someone to the airport to pick him up this time ;)

Happy Arthur
13-07-2017, 09:41 AM

You'll be able to copy and paste this on to each thread when we're linked with someone from the Dutch league.

ForzaPalace
13-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Everton seem to be focussed on Sigurdsson now which is good news for us

Neckinger Eagle
13-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Agreed.

It's up to us to impress the Palace philosophy (whatever that is) on a game rather than let other teams dictate. So if FDB is successful the speed of the game comes to meet us.

Chief Brody
13-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Our squad is fairly old

Since last summers transfer acquisitions we have been reducing the age of the squad, especially with the departures this summer of Ledley, Flamini, Remy, Campbell, Mandanda etc.

Aanholt - 27
Tomkins - 28
Schlupp - 24
Loftus-Cheek - 21
Townsend - 26
Luka - 26
Benteke - 26

Average - 25.5 years of age.

So heading in the right direction.

Martin H
13-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Is that paper talk or better info funky?

13-07-2017, 10:17 AM

Agreed.

Also its not like many other players that came through the Ajax youth system have failed to adapt to our league when you look at the likes of Dennis Bergkamp/Marc Overmars/Toby Alderwireld/Christian Eriksen (the list goes on..)

Overall will be really pleased if this signing happens :)

brighton_eagle
13-07-2017, 10:19 AM
If they have good technique then a faster paced game shouldn't be an issue. It would probably suit players with better technique more in fact.

Thefunkymonk
13-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Is that paper talk or better info funky?

From that article.

Martin H
13-07-2017, 11:06 AM
From that article.

:( - I was hoping you had heard a whisper.

Again with this one, it's a bit dumb on my part because I have seen very little of him but it sounds like a good signing.

Den Haag Eagle
13-07-2017, 11:18 AM
I think Ajax might have more important things on their mind at the moment.

http://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetbal/dramatisch-nieuws-nouri-ernstige-en-blijvende-hersenschade~af86b50c/

Nouri collapsed in a friendly last week against Werder Bremen. A lack of oxygen to his brain during this collapse means a large part of his brain is irreversibly damaged. Chance of recovery is zero.

PauLo
13-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Jesus, that's horrible. Poor guy.

Polak
13-07-2017, 11:47 AM

http://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetbal/dramatisch-nieuws-nouri-ernstige-en-blijvende-hersenschade~af86b50c/

Nouri collapsed in a friendly last week against Werder Bremen. A lack of oxygen to his brain during this collapse caused means a large part of his brain is irreversibly damaged. Chance of recovery is zero.
That's terrible. :(

Jim Cannon
13-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Everton seem to be focussed on Sigurdsson now which is good news for us

Think they will get him

RisZero
13-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Think they will get him

Hasnt traveled with the preseason team which is usually a guarantee he is expected to be off this window

Martin H
13-07-2017, 11:52 AM

Nouri collapsed in a friendly last week against Werder Bremen. A lack of oxygen to his brain during this collapse caused means a large part of his brain is irreversibly damaged. Chance of recovery is zero.

Maybe lost in the translation but that is a classic example of Dutch bluntness. Terrible situation for Nouri.

orp pisshead1
13-07-2017, 12:05 PM

Nouri collapsed in a friendly last week against Werder Bremen. A lack of oxygen to his brain during this collapse means a large part of his brain is irreversibly damaged. Chance of recovery is zero.

Is there an English version mate? So sad and so young :-(

DHeagle
13-07-2017, 12:10 PM

Saw FDB post about this on Instagram last week but could see absolutely nothing of it on Bleacher Report. Doesn't seem to have been covered much at all.

Terrible news, hope his recovery goes as well as possible.

Den Haag Eagle
13-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Is there an English version mate? So sad and so young :-(

This is from a Dutch newspaper, I just translated it. Basically it is a direct copy of the official statement from Ajax themselves.

Found this English link on twitter

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-07-13/ajax-midfielder-nouri-suffers-permanent-brain-damage/

AJ's right boot
13-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Terrible :(

Big Blue Eagle
13-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Saw FDB post about this on Instagram last week but could see absolutely nothing of it on Bleacher Report. Doesn't seem to have been covered much at all.

Terrible news, hope his recovery goes as well as possible.

On main BBC sport page

Jimmy Eagle
13-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Its a terrible cliche but this horrible story certainly puts things into perspective. Poor kid.

orp pisshead1
13-07-2017, 12:41 PM
This is from a Dutch newspaper, I just translated it. Basically it is a direct copy of the official statement from Ajax themselves.

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-07-13/ajax-midfielder-nouri-suffers-permanent-brain-damage/

Very kind & many thanks.

orp pisshead1
13-07-2017, 12:43 PM

Heartbreaking it really is:(.

Martin H
13-07-2017, 12:48 PM
On a cheerier note I watched the AZ match highlights for Jairo again and pretty basic I know but I love the way that as soon as he makes a pass he is immediately moving. So many players admire their handiwork before they think about moving. He was playing DM and looks very comfortable under pressure there. Still haven't seen him head the ball an awful lot but I assume he wouldn't play CB unless he could make a header.

Hector
13-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Jeez that's terrible.

Danny boy
13-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Stoke are paying 7m loan fee for Zouma; shows how much of a bargain this deal is even though Zouma is a decent player.

DHeagle
13-07-2017, 01:14 PM
On main BBC sport page

Is that today or was it on Saturday? Meant to say that it hasn't been covered much until now, with the Ajax club statement.

Den Haag Eagle
13-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Is that today or was it on Saturday? Meant to say that is hasn't been covered much until now, with the Ajax club statement.

The match was saturday but Ajax released this statement this morning. Also Ed van der Sar has made a statement as well.

Nigelbrag
13-07-2017, 01:23 PM
On a cheerier note I watched the AZ match highlights for Jairo again and pretty basic I know but I love the way that as soon as he makes a pass he is immediately moving. So many players admire their handiwork before they think about moving. He was playing DM and looks very comfortable under pressure there. Still haven't seen him head the ball an awful lot but I assume he wouldn't play CB unless he could make a header.

Interesting observation, maybe that is the position FdB sees him in alongside Luka, which does not bode well for Cabaye as i can now see Loftus-Cheek playing the more advance midfield position, i may be wrong. I have to admit knowing nothing about the player nor seen him play.

DHeagle
13-07-2017, 01:25 PM
The match was saturday but Ajax released this statement this morning. Also Ed van der Sar has made a statement as well.

Yeah that's it. Wasn't really covered at the time it happened.

All the best to Nouri, it makes you really think when something like this happens to someone as fit as a professional sportsman. :frown:

Friskey
13-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Stoke are paying 7m loan fee for Zouma; shows how much of a bargain this deal is even though Zouma is a decent player.

Surely that will include wages?

We paid 3.5-4m for Sakho for half a season if so.

Thefunkymonk
13-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Interesting observation, maybe that is the position FdB sees him in alongside Luka, which does not bode well for Cabaye as i can now see Loftus-Cheek playing the more advance midfield position, i may be wrong. I have to admit knowing nothing about the player nor seen him play.

FdB played him cb. The bloke that took over played in dm and not all the time according to few articles.

Martin H
13-07-2017, 01:33 PM

The guy can play is the main thing I guess.

Re your comment re the players. If we are going to play this intense pressing game (I hope so!) the midfielders have to rotate during the game to take a breath and I think we will regularly see the midfield change during games (subs) and between games to manage the energy. The midfield will need to cover even more ground.

Last year the AM (or more like an advanced CM TBH) slot got the short straw and had to cover a huge amount of ground on their own. This is made worse because CB simply isn't a natural 'presser'. I think with Frank you will not only see the whole team get up and down more often then before. The midfielders will start to rotate again as Pardew was trying to get them to do but I do think they will get swapped out. Just one more comment on that 'short straw'. I was impressed with how well Yo coped with that workload. He has always been the best we have at pressing but he was really putting in some serious shifts post Jan. I have loved watching Cabaye and his football intelligence/technical skills and just hope he stays at least another season.

GB2506
13-07-2017, 01:37 PM

He will play CB. The same position FDB played him in when he was manager at Ajax.

Lombardo's hair
13-07-2017, 01:38 PM

A new player in any position doesn't mean we are getting rid of current players. It means we are looking for strength in depth. Something that has be lacking. FDB will also want some versatility. Cabaye can be our no 10 and be replaced after 70 min by RLC. Or if cabaye suspended or injured....replace him. That goes for the whole squad

hdeagle
13-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Everton making their excuses after they have lost out to Palace on signing him.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/koeman-prefers-options-allowing-player-move-crystal-palace-agreement-24-hours/

CharlieCPFC
13-07-2017, 02:31 PM
This will be a fantastic signing.

Let's just hope we follow this up with some similar business, a few more young eager players from across Europe.

RisZero
13-07-2017, 02:32 PM
When Jairo come

adrenalin john
13-07-2017, 03:12 PM
When Jairo come

Every two weeks?

(If you don't get too stoned and forget when to sign on)

red&blue_moomin
13-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Damn not fast enough

red&blue_moomin
13-07-2017, 03:20 PM
When Jairo come

Why you short of cash

crystaljim
13-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Why you short of cash

Mate named his dog Giro, because he never came when he wanted him to! :)

SussexRed&Blue
13-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Scousers upset at missing out on Jairo!

Chris K
13-07-2017, 04:56 PM

No chance, imo we have 4 definite starters Cabaye, Benteke, Wilf and Luka

PeckhamSpring
13-07-2017, 04:59 PM
No chance, imo we have 4 definite starters Cabaye, Benteke, Wilf and Luka

I'd throw Townsend and Tomkins into that bracket.

Chris K
13-07-2017, 05:00 PM
To be fair even Hennessey is a definite starter at the moment! I mean come 1st September once the tinkering has been done

ForzaPalace
13-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Signs for Everton page 16

DARZET EAGLE
13-07-2017, 09:56 PM
Signs for Everton page 16

Stop it, he's ours.

carter
13-07-2017, 10:16 PM
My old man is a black cabbie driver in London and he had Sammy Lee wave him down today near Soho (where the Palace office is) asking for directions while in his full Palace training kit. Could he have something to do with any players joining? The old man said he had to restrain himself by telling Sammy he is a full kit wanker

jimmy the gent
13-07-2017, 11:03 PM
Clearly bollocks. Sammy Lee travels everywhere riding on the back of a pig.

Martin H
13-07-2017, 11:10 PM
Just read Funi Mori has aggravated his injiry adn will be out long term now. So Everton are again looking for a CB - oops. Hope Jairo has a personal red and blue 24 guard or better still has signed something.