PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: new transfer policy: focus on youth

nicobos
13-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Since we've been promoted, there's been a lack of younger players breaking through into the first team or exciting talent on the bench that we have been able to develop.

Obviously, it's less risky to bring in a tried and tested player at prem level whilst blooding youngsters in the first team is difficult when you are scrapping for your lives on the edge of the relegation zone!

However, it's still depressing to see the likes of Adebayour, Remi, Flamini waltz around the pitch, knowing they are here for one last big pay day and it's hardly about building a team for the future.

With FDB now at the helm and his track record of bringing players through the ranks at Ajax, we seem to have a new found desire to bring in younger players than we’ve previously targeted (Loftus-Cheek, Riedewald sounds close, rumours link us with Chambers).

Part of this may be due to our focus on a passing and pressing game which a midfield of Punch, Cabaye, McArthur etc would struggle to manage (given their age) for a full 90 minutes (how many late goals did we concede last season!).

It may seem like folly to some, but I'm delighted with this approach as we’ve always been a club that’s good at developing real youth talent and it’s exciting to get that energy back on the pitch!

Ultimately, if the player ends up moving to a larger club, than it’s a big pay day for us (vs a signing on large wages that we can’t get off the books)!!!! It seems like the only sustainable model (see Southampton) that a mid-sized club like Palace can feasibly operate for the long-term.

What do others think?

Hector
13-07-2017, 09:32 AM
I think we have looked at Spurs and seen how successful getting younger players in is. They have got good youngsters and no only are they talented but have generated a very good team spirit. Palace are generally successful when we are more than the sum of our parts, obviously we are looking at a tier(s) below Spurs but the principle should still stand.

Purepalace
13-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Well it is a gamble, a massive gamble. But as SP has said we need to build something now and not just be in an annual relegation dogfight so hopefully with the right mixture of experience and youth it will work. The trouble is these things take time and patience to achieve and I'm not sure that the brutality of the Premier league will allow it. I guess the long and the short of it is I would hate to lose someone like FDB by Christmas if it doesn't.

chelmsfordeagle
13-07-2017, 10:23 AM
We singed a promising 23 year old a couple of years ago. He has just been left out of the squad flying to HK. I like us signing young players but it might not work.

PauLo
13-07-2017, 10:28 AM
I think the OP is unfair to put Flamini on that list. Dude is super rich from the company he owns, so I doubt he was on much. And he certainly wasn't as bad as some.

OriginalNutter
13-07-2017, 10:48 AM
I think the OP is unfair to put Flamini on that list. Dude is super rich from the company he owns, so I doubt he was on much. And he certainly wasn't as bad as some.

I doubt the money he earns from his own company was discussed in his salary negotiations..

nicobos
13-07-2017, 05:26 PM
My point is more that I'd prefer to have youth and someone who is improving and can start challenging the more experienced players for a first team slot, on the bench.

Flamini, whilst experienced, did not really add much when he came on and was there to 'see games out' which was ironic given the position we found ourselves in.

My preference would be for a younger player and unknown quantity who can surprise the opposition instead. I.e. If loftus cheek didn't start then prefer him to come on late in games than a flamini type player...

100% Palace
13-07-2017, 05:36 PM
We singed a promising 23 year old a couple of years ago. He has just been left out of the squad flying to HK. I like us signing young players but it might not work.
Who? Mutch? Jesus, I thought he was in his 30s!

nicobos
13-07-2017, 06:06 PM
TBH I don't think FDB would be signing a player like Mutch. Not technical or mobile enough.

I'm taking about signing a crop of up and coming highly rated youngsters. Mutch was already a flop when we signed him...

Martin H
13-07-2017, 06:35 PM
TBH I don't think FDB would be signing a player like Mutch. Not technical or mobile enough.

I'm taking about signing a crop of up and coming highly rated youngsters. Mutch was already a flop when we signed him...

We would have signed Mutch based on his Cardiff Premier League performances and something was badly broken at QPR. Back to Cardiff he was their top scorer that year with 7 (from midfield) and 5 assists (top =). Over the season he was 3rd highest tackles and highest take ons and did OK in the air too. He was 22/23. So back then he was a good prospect and just a question to be answered behind the scenes re what happened at QPR. It just begs the question again about what we 'haven't' seen at Palace. Bit weird TBH. no idea what FDB would or wouldn't do but I don't think it looked that stupid at the time.

I can't remember where I read it now but it was an in depth article on 'transfer diamonds' and the analysis of x years of transfers showed that the 'best' opportunities consistently lay with proven players that had 'lost their way' for some reason due to some sort of 'off the pitch' reason. So buying them cheap and spending to 'fix that problem' gave you huge value. I hvae looked for it a couple of times and never been able to find it. But I am sure at the time Parish referenced it in an interview. It's not a Palace only thing. You would have to think Mutch fits that bill. Kebe maybe? There was a list of excellent examples but I can't remember any of them :(

Anyway - it was interesting - honest,.

Gark Moldberg
14-07-2017, 08:15 AM
I do wonder whether Mutch was an Ian Moody recommendation and already in process despite the 'gay snake' incident.

Although these are different times and players can leave for free at the end of their contract, there is something to be said for Ron Nodes' transfer policy of not buying anyone over the age of 27 due to the deminishing resale value.

Gazpacho
14-07-2017, 09:24 AM
We are kidding ourelves if we think that we can rely on youth coming through at the moment quickly and in enough quality to make a big difference this season. Yes, I'd like home talent to be used, to be well coached, and therefore improve enough to make a good contribution to the senior squad of players. However, this is bound to take time and quite alot has to be geared up. ( Gaining Cat 1 status or recruiting some good youngsters who have a good chace of making it ).

In the meantime I think FDB should have some more experience than we have at present in the squad. They can be an influence for youngsters ( been there, done that - Flamini last season, Van Persie type of player this season? ) and some key players who, if fit, will play every game, raise the performance of the whole team and be totally reliable ( ie Sakho - Bruno Martins Indi on loan at Stoke last season a similar sort of player? ).

thefox
14-07-2017, 09:36 AM
In terms of the thread topic, what is the difference between signing Loftus and signing Bamford ? ...............So far.

We also signed quite a young Gayle and Mutch.

If our youth sign for bigger clubs we usually get F all. Probably better selling the not so good to championship clubs.

A big problem is signing young players when we are surrounded by big London clubs who stock pile youth and can pay a lot more, offer better training facilities and more boasting/pulling power on a night out. Plus you can also build a high paid career when you are not that good if you have come from a big teams academy, see Campbell.

Gazpacho
14-07-2017, 11:53 AM
We are kidding ourelves if we think that we can rely on youth coming through at the moment quickly and in enough quality to make a big difference this season. Yes, I'd like home talent to be used, to be well coached, and therefore improve enough to make a good contribution to the senior squad of players. However, this is bound to take time and quite alot has to be geared up. ( Gaining Cat 1 status or recruiting some good youngsters who have a good chace of making it ).

In the meantime I think FDB should have some more experience than we have at present in the squad. They can be an influence for youngsters ( been there, done that - Flamini last season, Van Persie type of player this season? ) and some key players who, if fit, will play every game, raise the performance of the whole team and be totally reliable ( ie Sakho - Bruno Martins Indi on loan at Stoke last season a similar sort of player? ).

Just like to flag the timing of this post up again re Bruno Martins Indi. :lux:

jimmy the gent
14-07-2017, 11:57 AM
I do wonder whether Mutch was an Ian Moody recommendation

I distinctly recall Pardew saying he'd been tracking him for years and wanted to sign him at Newcastle.

100% Palace
14-07-2017, 05:35 PM
I distinctly recall Pardew saying he'd been tracking him for years and wanted to sign him at Newcastle.
Wish he bloody had, then he'd be their problem.

Harry Bassett
14-07-2017, 05:50 PM
I do wonder whether Mutch was an Ian Moody recommendation and already in process despite the 'gay snake' incident.

Although these are different times and players can leave for free at the end of their contract, there is something to be said for Ron Nodes' transfer policy of not buying anyone over the age of 27 due to the deminishing resale value.

I suspect that the Mutch transfer was lined up before pardew took over and that the Moody involvement was demonstrated as well by the Campbell signing............Cardiff City superstars!:mad:

CP-RJW
14-07-2017, 06:13 PM
In terms of the thread topic, what is the difference between signing Loftus and signing Bamford ? ...............So far

Loftus Cheek has been decent when given the chance at this level, while Bamford had no premier league experience and was completely unproven.

nicobos
17-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Focus on youth does seem to be the strategy following on from Maidstone comments....

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/829604/Crystal-Palace-Frank-de-Boer-Maidstone-United

And after the game Saunders revealed how he’d been informed of De Boer’s plans to bring in young blood.

Saunders told Kent Online: “I know some supporters might have been disappointed they didn’t bring more first-team players - I think Jordon Mutch was the only one you would call a regular - but you could see the young lads had a lot of ability and it’s probably nice for their supporters to see some of the up and coming talent.

“Speaking to their staff, de Boer’s quite keen on getting some of the youth lads through so I’m sure you’ll some of those names in the future.

“I was chatting to their management and they were saying he wants to bring the age of the first team down and so I think that’s his philosophy if you like and hopefully he’ll be able to do that.

“You can see they’ve got some good players.

“Going forward they had some very good players, very sharp and they caused us problems.”

danpalace07
18-07-2017, 03:45 AM
focusing on young talent has been a long time coming since promotion, glad it seems to be part of our profile for signings this summer

BuktaBoy
18-07-2017, 10:51 AM
I suspect that the Mutch transfer was lined up before pardew took over and that the Moody involvement was demonstrated as well by the Campbell signing............Cardiff City superstars!:mad:

Gerry Francis tipped me off Palace were signing Campbell earlier that summer. 'Are you sure?' was my stunned reply. 'Yeah, Tony loves him, he gets you 10+ goals a season and holds up play well'...