PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Taylor - Greatest paycheck player?

BillyTKid
14-07-2017, 02:13 PM
I saw a news article that Stuart Taylor had signed a new contract at Southampton. I had vague memories of us once having him on loan so I checked his wiki page. Is he the least ambitious footballer of all time?

He has played 75 league games during a career of 16 years! Including 7 games in the last 6 years!

BuktaBoy
14-07-2017, 02:16 PM
What a fraud. Happy to be a number 3 for his whole career.

Latvian Eagle
14-07-2017, 02:21 PM
What a fraud. Happy to be a number 3 for his whole career.

Don't think he got to keep either but believe he won two Premier League Winners medals too. :moo:

firesign
14-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Richard Wright was on the books at Man City for four years without playing a single game, although to be fair he managed 448 professional appearances before that.

Herb
14-07-2017, 02:59 PM
So what. Being a goalkeeper must be really boring. If I was a goalie I'd rather do what Taylor's doing then to move to a Championship or League 1 club and play a bunch of meaningless games for the same salary.

CommercialStone
14-07-2017, 03:26 PM
So what. Being a goalkeeper must be really boring. If I was a goalie I'd rather do what Taylor's doing then to move to a Championship or League 1 club and play a bunch of meaningless games for the same salary.

I suggest this is the case with many a goalie, as it seems to happen a lot with that position.

It's one of those that us who work 9-5 (presuming) would say that we would love to play 'a bunch of meaningless games for the same salary' but if you in his shoes, already 'made it' then you would find it hard to turn down a contracts as a third keeper, at a Premier League Club.

I'd love to be paid to train every day and watch football!

Louis
14-07-2017, 03:55 PM
I remember being impressed with him in his spell with us. Thought he looked the part.

cpfc4evandeva
14-07-2017, 06:47 PM

That's a really bizarre thing for a Palace fan to say.

maestro
14-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Monday to Friday player

SOUTHGATE EAGLE
14-07-2017, 07:10 PM

Why should a GK have a different attitude to bench-warming than any other player? Surely, you either want first team football or you don't?

henryhallandhisbasque
14-07-2017, 07:12 PM
I always wondered about his motivations with a career like the one he's had. He's played about 25 league games in the last 12 years. Surely as a professional footballer you'd want to play week in and week out, and if it wasn't happening for you in the top two divisions, you'd drop down to a level where it was. But not with him. Third choice keeper seems to suit him. Decent money and no games. What highlights is he going to look back on when he finally packs it in? Did a club video playing snap with Sergio Aguero? Laughing with the tea lady on Tunnelcam? It genuinely baffles me why he's never wanted to test himself as a first choice keeper in a sport you're a long time retired from.

Latvian Eagle
14-07-2017, 07:42 PM
I remember being impressed with him in his spell with us. Thought he looked the part.

Really?

You must be one of the only ones. :moo: I remember half the time he looked a nervous wreck and not the keeper we were expecting him to be, being so highly rated at Arsenal and for England.

Worst moment and pretty much the moment that ended his Palace career was him (all 6ft 4in of him) getting lobbed from 35-40 yards up at Preston. Alan Smith sent him packing not long after that and stuck Kolinko in.

beef
14-07-2017, 08:03 PM
More to life than football. It must be tempting to set yourself up for life.

CPFC.1990
14-07-2017, 08:18 PM
He was crap for us. Like Upson.

Imagine being so talented that you make it as a footballer and yet barely do anything to be remembered.

PeterH
14-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Wouldn't he have had to play for the reserves sometimes?

Salad_Burnet
14-07-2017, 10:03 PM
I can imagine his avant-garde biopic being shot in black-and-white, with lots of philosophical musings from David James and narrated by Eric Cantona. It would be hailed an existentialist triumph at the annual Sundance film festival and shown all over the country at every crap Curzon cinema, and funded jointly by Channel four and ABC cinema in Canada. I'd stick it on my LoveFilm list, but only out of desperation.

Funk Butter
14-07-2017, 10:56 PM
ug0Js5ZLUbM

Twilko
15-07-2017, 12:37 AM
Carlos Kaiser probably would have had an easier ride if he had pretended to be a 3rd choice keeper rather than a forward.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/apr/26/the-forgotten-story-of-carlos-kaiser-footballs-greatest-conman

Stickyfingers
15-07-2017, 03:38 AM
Carlos Kaiser probably would have had an easier ride if he had pretended to be a 3rd choice keeper rather than a forward.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/apr/26/the-forgotten-story-of-carlos-kaiser-footballs-greatest-conman

An amazing documentary coming out about Carlos Kaiser in the very near future.

Twilko
15-07-2017, 05:37 AM
An amazing documentary coming out about Carlos Kaiser in the very near future.

The Stuart Taylor biopic on the other hand is struggling to get backers.

Ralph
15-07-2017, 06:50 AM
As others have alluded to he did seem to have a confidence problem with us as he was a nervous wreck. Could be a larger problem but as a highly rated goalkeeper clubs have seen the benefit of his ability rubbing off on the other players in training.

jimmy the gent
15-07-2017, 09:10 AM
I always wondered about his motivations with a career like the one he's had. He's played about 25 league games in the last 12 years. Surely as a professional footballer you'd want to play week in and week out, and if it wasn't happening for you in the top two divisions, you'd drop down to a level where it was. But not with him. Third choice keeper seems to suit him. Decent money and no games. What highlights is he going to look back on when he finally packs it in? Did a club video playing snap with Sergio Aguero? Laughing with the tea lady on Tunnelcam? It genuinely baffles me why he's never wanted to test himself as a first choice keeper in a sport you're a long time retired from.

Probably got a nice pad, kids settled in local schools. Train all week with a bunch of your pals, play golf on your days off, and earn a very tidy wage. If he's got his head screwed on he's probably got investments for his non playing days. All in all, nice work if you can get it.