PDA

View Full Version : How good is woman's football?

homer j simpson
19-07-2017, 10:07 AM
Ok first off for all you ladies reading this it's certainly not a dig but a genuine question

With the woman's Euros about to start I was wondering at what level in the men's game would our national woman's team be able to compete on a regular basis

I'll kick things off and say high non league maybe conference south/north would be my guess

Thoughts ?

mroakley9
19-07-2017, 10:11 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/05/25/matildas-beaten-7-0-by-newcastle-jets-under-15-boys-team_a_21383895/

Hector
19-07-2017, 10:17 AM
The physical difference would put them very low down. The women are improving all the time and nowdays the games are decent to watch, I'll be watching tonight. The goalkeepers definitely need to improve, the best keepers are still pretty rubbish. 10 years time I see it being a very professional game with a really good competitive top league, at the moment the difference in sides even in the top division is quite wide. I really hope Palace take it seriously and try to be one of the top sides.

homer j simpson
19-07-2017, 10:48 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/05/25/matildas-beaten-7-0-by-newcastle-jets-under-15-boys-team_a_21383895/

Blimey :D
That really is a shock

heart at holm
19-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Blimey :D
That really is a shock

Football is a physical game. You shouldn't try to compare. Rather think of them as two different forms of football. Each with it's own set of skills / entertainment.

tsunamiman
19-07-2017, 12:52 PM
I do wish people would stop comparing men's and women's sports. From this to the endless Serena Williams playing vs Men Debate.

They are just that different sports.

Comparing the two is like asking whether Mayweather would win a fight vs Anthony Joshua. Of course he couldn't and no one would question why.

WorthingEagle
19-07-2017, 01:03 PM
I do wish people would stop comparing men's and women's sports. From this to the endless Serena Williams playing vs Men Debate.

They are just that different sports.

Comparing the two is like asking whether Mayweather would win a fight vs Anthony Joshua. Of course he couldn't and no one would question why.

Still, I'd expect the fifth best women's team in the world to beat a regional U15's boys side, just as I'd expect Johanna Konta to smash a regional U15 tennis player.

cpfc4evandeva
19-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Women's football is a million miles better than it used to be 20 years ago.

The goalkeepers though... Why are they so bad?

MasterYoda
19-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Ok first off for all you ladies reading this it's certainly not a dig but a genuine question

With the woman's Euros about to start I was wondering at what level in the men's game would our national woman's team be able to compete on a regular basis

I'll kick things off and say high non league maybe conference south/north would be my guess

Thoughts ?
If they played at that level they'd lose every game in double figures. I think you'd have to go way down the pyramid to even be close - probably at any level where people get paid beer money they'd lose.

IMO.

PS just noticed the link posted - probably bears it out.

Scroatey
19-07-2017, 03:48 PM

The goalkeepers though... Why are they so bad? Is it because they always put the fat one in goal?

orp pisshead1
19-07-2017, 04:15 PM
The physical difference would put them very low down. The women are improving all the time and nowdays the games are decent to watch, I'll be watching tonight. The goalkeepers definitely need to improve, the best keepers are still pretty rubbish. 10 years time I see it being a very professional game with a really good competitive top league, at the moment the difference in sides even in the top division is quite wide. I really hope Palace take it seriously and try to be one of the top sides.

Why don't you go and watch them at Hayes lane and see for yourself? . CPLFC take their football very seriously and improve season on season. Get decent crowds too compared to other teams.

Jim Cannon
19-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Yes, women's football isn't bad these days but the keepers are cack sums it up for me

RisZero
19-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Id like it to get more coverage to be honest, id happily tune in to watch our ladies play if the option were just as easily available

Then again id also love to see some kind of youth coverage

Stella Drinker
19-07-2017, 05:05 PM
I don't think the standards that great TBH. I am glad that it's improving but still a long way to go before I spend time watching it.

waddoneagle
19-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Why don't you go and watch them at Hayes lane and see for yourself? . CPLFC take their football very seriously and improve season on season. Get decent crowds too compared to other teams.

Spot on, Its different to Mens Football, but you soon get to appreciate the players and their talent and at the end of the day, CPLFC are representing my club and they do it with pride and passion

gold76
19-07-2017, 05:32 PM
The English ladies did really well last world cup, let's hope for the same at the Euro's, as it will only bode well for the future

CP-RJW
19-07-2017, 06:12 PM
A few years ago the best women's national team on the planet (the US) played the men's under 17s, and lost 8-2. Like others have said, the sports should be considered completely separate entities, due to obvious physical differences. I'd watch the Lionesses over the overpaid rabble we have playing for the men's team any day though, at least the ladies play with pride and passion for the shirt. Saying that though, there'd have to be a massive improvement in quality before I'd watch matches as a neutral, until then just Palace ladies and the National team for me.

Glɑzier
19-07-2017, 06:55 PM

Ha - maybe they should be allowed to field male keepers.

Seriously though, I wonder what the gap would be a top womens team played say, a men's championship division team, but

a) the men weren't allowed to run any faster
b) the men weren't any stronger physically (this could be recreated by making them do about an hour's body-wide gym work before the match)

I reckon the men'd still just about edge it, but not by a great deal.

pallet
19-07-2017, 06:57 PM
I manage a girls team and compared to boys of the same age they ate not as good. However with more and more girls playing the standard is getting better , phyiscally they are always going to struggle but i thunk the skill level will catch up.
As for the keepers, its just down to them learning to get hurt.

tsunamiman
19-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Like most sport it's all about money. Theres pretty much only two sports women can make really good money in (Tennis and Golf) once football gets the following and then the pay the standard will increase as athletes flock to play football.

Biggineagle
19-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Its not all that tbh. Over popularised and over promoted.

jimmy the gent
19-07-2017, 10:00 PM
bDv6BIBGnKw

CJ PLUM
19-07-2017, 10:02 PM
The reason football is the beautiful game is that it can be played and enjoyed by all ages, all sizes and all sexes: just preferably not all together at the same time.

As said earlier comparing women's and men's football is like comparing boxers at different weights. However if you compare the physiology then 90% of women are between 154 and 174 cm tall which is roughly equivalent to 13-14 year old boys so perhaps a fairer match up would be with boys in this age group and not any more senior men's teams.
In 2013 the FA changed the sizes of pitches and match balls for different age groups to encourage better close control skills. This meant that under 14 year old's should now play on pitches 90 yards long by 55 yards wide with goals sized only 7 yards by 7 foot. They are also encouraged to use a smaller size 4 ball but may use the full adult size 5 instead. So if we compare women's football as physically equivalent to 14 year old boys then maybe they should actually also play on smaller pitches with equally smaller goals which would improve the standards of goalkeepers.

I used to watch Croydon Women's when they were the best team in the country and it was fascinating watching the patterns of play just at a slightly slower pace; indeed their interchanging of positions often reminded me of the 'Total Football' of the classic Dutch sides.

Just imagine if other sportswomen like Heather Watson, Jessica Ennis, Kelly Holmes, Christine Ohuruogu, Lizzie Armistead, Jade Jones, Maddie Hinch, Emily Scarratt or Helen Glover had taken up football instead. If taller girls were to now chose football over other sports like Netball or Rowing the women's game could only progress even further.

jimmy the gent
19-07-2017, 10:10 PM
The reason football is the beautiful game is that it can be played and enjoyed by all ages, all sizes and all sexes: just preferably not all together at the same time.

As said earlier comparing women's and men's football is like comparing boxers at different weights. However if you compare the physiology then 90% of women are between 154 and 174 cm tall which is roughly equivalent to 13-14 year old boys so perhaps a fairer match up would be with boys in this age group and not any more senior men's teams.
In 2013 the FA changed the sizes of pitches and match balls for different age groups to encourage better close control skills. This meant that under 14 year old's should now play on pitches 90 yards long by 55 yards wide with goals sized only 7 yards by 7 foot. They are also encouraged to use a smaller size 4 ball but may use the full adult size 5 instead. So if we compare women's football as physically equivalent to 14 year old boys then maybe they should actually also play on smaller pitches with equally smaller goals which would improve the standards of goalkeepers.

I used to watch Croydon Women's when they were the best team in the country and it was fascinating watching the patterns of play just at a slightly slower pace; indeed their interchanging of positions often reminded me of the 'Total Football' of the classic Dutch sides.

Just imagine if other sportswomen like Heather Watson, Jessica Ennis, Kelly Holmes, Christine Ohuruogu, Lizzie Armistead, Jade Jones, Maddie Hinch, Emily Scarratt or Helen Glover had taken up football instead. If taller girls were to now chose football over other sports like Netball or Rowing the women's game could only progress even further.

LOL, the above video does little to back this up...

pardew's shorts
19-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Imagine my shock to see such an enlightened post from Biggineagle.

England were fantastic tonight. I assume the aforementioned stopped watching to check out the Lee Hurst/Alf Garnett Twitter accounts some more.

Oli28
19-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Its not all that tbh. Over popularised and over promoted.
Over popularised? In what way?

CJ PLUM
19-07-2017, 10:20 PM
LOL, the above video does little to back this up...

Just showing goal clips with comments from those 2 sexists does not prove anything other than my point that perhaps the goals should be smaller due to the shorter keepers.
You would probably also get some comedy goals if you showed youth games but we shouldn't knock their enthusiasm.

El D
19-07-2017, 11:25 PM

Some good points here, very well made.

PeterH
20-07-2017, 01:58 AM

Mayweather would win that fight. IMO

AJ8
20-07-2017, 05:58 AM
Mayweather would win that fight. IMO

Not sure if serious......

Golf Boy
20-07-2017, 06:14 AM

Only in Biggin world. A fictional place inhabited by one person.

chelmsfordeagle
20-07-2017, 06:32 AM
Imagine my shock to see such an enlightened post from Biggineagle.

England were fantastic tonight. I assume the aforementioned stopped watching to check out the Lee Hurst/Alf Garnett Twitter accounts some more.

I read your first paragraph, and went back to view his post (i have him blocked). I then of course realised you were being sarcastic and then read your second paragraph..

I didn't get to watch last nights game but will try and watch a few of the matches.

WorthingEagle
20-07-2017, 11:53 AM

I do find it a bit weird that women's football features so heavily on the BBC Football page. You're more likely to see a headline about something happening at Liverpool Ladies, with their sub-1000 attendances, than at a big lower-division club like Bradford or Portsmouth...

tsunamiman
20-07-2017, 12:30 PM
It's all about building the sport. It's good for the country that the publicity of women's football is there.

I'm really happy that Channel 4 have got the football. They get so much more passion into their projects than the other channels do. Look at what they've done with the Paralympics.

Kai
20-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Women's football has come a long long way from what it was 15-20+ years ago, but as long as they keep being compared to men they will never get proper recognition. Nobody would compare a woman sprinter to Usain Bolt or a weightlifter to a male one, but for some reason sexism still exists to a great degree in football and its supporters.

Harry Bassett
20-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Women's football has come a long long way from what it was 15-20+ years ago, but as long as they keep being compared to men they will never get proper recognition. Nobody would compare a woman sprinter to Usain Bolt or a weightlifter to a male one, but for some reason sexism still exists to a great degree in football and its supporters.

Totally agree with this.:p

waddoneagle
20-07-2017, 03:13 PM

But the people who go and watch the Women's game regular, Don't compare the Two, If i go and watch Croydon Athletic, I don't expect a Premier League game, When i go and watch CPLFC, I don't expect to see a Mens game.
Also with crowds at CPLFC averaging around 200, (and rising), They get more than Non League Clubs like Croydon Athletic, Croydon, Whyteleafe etc. Its a great way to introduce kids to the sport, especially Girls and at CPLFC all kids are Free, My Grandson loves watching Palace at Bromley

monkey
20-07-2017, 03:46 PM
I don't watch much of the ladies on TV, it does always seem a bit dull, slow paced and I miss the physicality of the men's game,plus with the lack of crowds always seems like some sort of training match!!

But having said all that, I know if I still lived up that way, I would've been to watch our ladies at Hayes lane and I would've got into it live!

WorthingEagle
20-07-2017, 04:05 PM

I wouldn't say it's sexism - they just need to get better. The key thing about the most popular women's spectator sports is the skill level is far and above the male amateur level. Women golfers can shoot a 62, a professional female tennis player would blitz a male club player 6-1, 6-1, a female sprinter would leave a local runner for dead.

So they have a broader appeal than women's football, where there are thousands of technically better (ignoring physical attributes entirely) male players dotted around the County and Sunday Leagues. I guess the reason it's quite popular in the US is that they're much less likely to have a mate who's better than the standard they're watching.

cpfc4evandeva
20-07-2017, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't say it's sexism - they just need to get better. The key thing about the most popular women's spectator sports is the skill level is far and above the male amateur level. Women golfers can shoot a 62, a professional female tennis player would blitz a male club player 6-1, 6-1, a female sprinter would leave a local runner for dead.

So they have a broader appeal than women's football, where there are thousands of technically better (ignoring physical attributes entirely) male players dotted around the County and Sunday Leagues. I guess the reason it's quite popular in the US is that they're much less likely to have a mate who's better than the standard they're watching.

Yep. The key is that in other sports there isn't a chasm between men's and women's top level quality. There is in football.

jimmy the gent
21-07-2017, 07:19 AM
LS37SNYjg8w

CPFC since 1989
22-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Palace Ladies would beat Charlton Pathetic of division 3 all day long.

henryhallandhisbasque
22-07-2017, 08:56 PM
Like a lot of things these days, you feel if you say anything remotely negative about women's football, you'll be instantly condemned as the most out of touch, misogynistic dinosaur from hell, but nonetheless, I have to give an honest view. And that is I don't watch it. And have no desire to start doing so. It also annoys me when news presenters describe a women's tournament or league game in gender free terms, so you are unsure initially if it's the men's or women's game they are about to report on.

Don't get me wrong, I wish women's football well and respect the players and those who do enjoy watching it, but I am not going to be forced to embrace it because political correctness demands that I do.

orp pisshead1
23-07-2017, 12:44 AM
I don't watch much of the ladies on TV, it does always seem a bit dull, slow paced and I miss the physicality of the men's game,plus with the lack of crowds always seems like some sort of training match!!

But having said all that, I know if I still lived up that way, I would've been to watch our ladies at Hayes lane and I would've got into it live!

Mate to me it's football at its purist in terms of pure effort alone coupled with some very skilful players. When I've watched them the frontline has always been pacy. Atmosphere is good too:p

gold76
23-07-2017, 11:04 AM
Spain today

A better yardstick for our Ladies potential than Scotland

Se9 eagles
23-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Jordan Mutch level at best....

Lombardo's hair
23-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Like a lot of things these days, you feel if you say anything remotely negative about women's football, you'll be instantly condemned as the most out of touch, misogynistic dinosaur from hell, but nonetheless, I have to give an honest view. And that is I don't watch it. And have no desire to start doing so. It also annoys me when news presenters describe a women's tournament or league game in gender free terms, so you are unsure initially if it's the men's or women's game they are about to report on.

Don't get me wrong, I wish women's football well and respect the players and those who do enjoy watching it, but I am not going to be forced to embrace it because political correctness demands that I do.

It's good to see an honest view and critique.....From someone who doesn't watch them play. Suppose you don't watch women's athletics hockey tennis cricket etc either?

kabbott
23-07-2017, 11:53 AM
I enjoy watching women's football, helped maybe by the fact that the best club team in Europe is Olympique Lyonnais (4 CL victories and one CL final defeat since the 2009-2010 season). For this reason there's plenty of TV exposure over here, mainly for the CL matches but also for the big league games. The main problem is the lack of really good teams. In the French league there are 3 or 4 decent teams. In the rest of the matches the top teams win by 6 goals or more on a regular basis.
Even in the earlier rounds of the CL (Lyon often enter in the last 16) the aggregate scores are sometimes a bit silly!
As other posters have mentioned it's unfair to compare women's and men's football. Having said that, the best women players around the world are technically very talented. What is also quite enjoyable with women's football is there are very few cynical fouls, you don't see players rolling around in utter agony because somene barely touched them and you don't see the players in the ref's face demanding cards every 10 seconds.
There used to be a time when the best European players would go to the States to further their footballing careers. This, of course, still happens. One of the French stars, Amandine Henry, currently plays for Portland. But this season Lyon managed to sign the American star Alex Morgan on a short contract.
I'll be watching a lot of the women's Euros this summer and I'm curious to see how far the England and France teams go. The French team has flattered to deceive over recent tournaments. They should realistically reach at least the semi-finals this time round.

gold76
23-07-2017, 12:59 PM
I realise its way down the pyramid..

But Lewes are paying both their men's and women's teams the same

CP-RJW
23-07-2017, 01:02 PM

Doesn't watching Palace or England interest you whatsoever?

Oli28
23-07-2017, 02:18 PM

Nice gesture and a good bit of PR no doubt, but I can't see it being sustainable unless they get similar crowds. Especially if the men's team move up a few leagues.

Se9 eagles
23-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Not as good as Gridiron in the States when all the girls players are wearing stockings and suspenders.Saw It on one of the satellite channels a while back.And WWF women's wrestling:lux:.

monkey
23-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Mate to me it's football at its purist in terms of pure effort alone coupled with some very skilful players. When I've watched them the frontline has always been pacy. Atmosphere is good too:p

Fair enough Orp if you've experienced it live, I've only ever watched a bit on TV and struggled to get into it,but I'm sure I'd enjoy watching palace ladies live, I have been tempted to go a few times but it's a bit of a trek for me, are they still playing at the lane next season or beckenham?

Harry Bassett
23-07-2017, 05:01 PM
I enjoy watching women's football, helped maybe by the fact that the best club team in Europe is Olympique Lyonnais (4 CL victories and one CL final defeat since the 2009-2010 season). For this reason there's plenty of TV exposure over here, mainly for the CL matches but also for the big league games. The main problem is the lack of really good teams. In the French league there are 3 or 4 decent teams. In the rest of the matches the top teams win by 6 goals or more on a regular basis.
Even in the earlier rounds of the CL (Lyon often enter in the last 16) the aggregate scores are sometimes a bit silly!
As other posters have mentioned it's unfair to compare women's and men's football. Having said that, the best women players around the world are technically very talented. What is also quite enjoyable with women's football is there are very few cynical fouls, you don't see players rolling around in utter agony because somene barely touched them and you don't see the players in the ref's face demanding cards every 10 seconds.
There used to be a time when the best European players would go to the States to further their footballing careers. This, of course, still happens. One of the French stars, Amandine Henry, currently plays for Portland. But this season Lyon managed to sign the American star Alex Morgan on a short contract.
I'll be watching a lot of the women's Euros this summer and I'm curious to see how far the England and France teams go. The French team has flattered to deceive over recent tournaments. They should realistically reach at least the semi-finals this time round.

Watched a game at the Munich Olympic stadium a few years back, could have been a European CL final involving Lyon and they had a fantastic centre back, I cannot recall her name but what an outstanding player.

The majority of women's games have good skill levels and are played in the right spirit.

Ninjas Headband
24-07-2017, 10:47 AM

Lewes Ladies are at the same level as Palace Ladies. Would be interesting if our Ladies team get paid, other than expenses. The few games I've seen they are fully committed & don't pull out of a tackle. Skill levels are very mixed as I've seen some very one sided games to Palace but I think this will improve as more girls play the game from an earlier age. The one obvious difference between the Men & Women's game is strength & power and therefore makes the argument pretty redundant like any other sport where strength is one of the key features to a player.

I see Palace Ladies as a real asset to the club & it's community & would encourage any fan to get to a game, especially if you have a young daughter.

kabbott
24-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Watched a game at the Munich Olympic stadium a few years back, could have been a European CL final involving Lyon and they had a fantastic centre back, I cannot recall her name but what an outstanding player.

The majority of women's games have good skill levels and are played in the right spirit.

Wendie Renard! She's very good, and captain of the French national team.

http://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/martinique/sites/regions_outremer/files/styles/asset_full/public/assets/images/2017/03/30/wendier-567099.jpg?itok=Qtd5I3RD

waddoneagle
24-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Its a pleasure watching England women and great support out there