PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Raul Jimenez

eagleforlife
26-07-2017, 07:18 AM
26 year old Benfica and Mexico striker according to reports in Portugal: http://www.hltco.org/2017/07/26/video-what-palace-could-expect-from-mexican-striker-raul-jimenez/

tsunamiman
26-07-2017, 07:27 AM
No way we're spending 45 mill on anyone.

Neil 154
26-07-2017, 07:37 AM
The most expensive player in Portuguese football at palace. Love it.

mroakley9
26-07-2017, 07:40 AM
I heard when he takes free kicks, he can't even get over the wall

my life's a ******* shambles don't @ me

Stockport_Eagle
26-07-2017, 07:42 AM
I suspect this may be a reasonable assessment :p

Chris K
26-07-2017, 07:45 AM
upgrade on Campbell

mylona
26-07-2017, 07:49 AM
26 year old Benfica and Mexico striker according to reports in Portugal: http://www.hltco.org/2017/07/26/video-what-palace-could-expect-from-mexican-striker-raul-jimenez/

Looks good until you get to the fee, after that it's dead in the water.

Nostrils
26-07-2017, 07:54 AM
Who's going to pay 45m? He'd be a risk at 25m imo. Vastly over priced.

cpfcfan1
26-07-2017, 07:55 AM
Who's going to pay 45m? He'd be a risk at 25m imo. Vastly over priced.

Everton? Or is this a trick question

Nostrils
26-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Everton? Or is this a trick question
They'd probably just round it up to 50m to make it easier for the accountant.

CharlieCPFC
26-07-2017, 08:08 AM
Just spoke to my Benfica mate and said the same thing about in regards to his price it'll be excessive. He said he's a work horse and a decent player but not an out and out number 9. Apparently benfica were hoping for a big offer from China for him, my mate said he can't see him coming here in a million years although if he did would be a terrific signing.

BillyTKid
26-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Only happening if we sold Benteke. No thanks.

Gazpacho
26-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Pace, can probably play all across the front three. Fee way too high for any serious interest I would think.

TheCharmer1
26-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Agent hawking him about. Was linked to wham and Everton a week ago

Gregz41
26-07-2017, 09:39 AM
No doubt he has some attributes which will make him a nuisance, but he looked clumsy in a video I watched of him. I think we can get someone more suitable for a smaller price.

Nigelbrag
26-07-2017, 10:34 AM
The problem we face is, with the intended system FdB wants to adapt i just can't see Benteke fitting in.
Ok it maybe early days but the games in Hong Kong did not look promising as CB looked lost and totally ineffective due to a lack of service, we are all aware of what CB needs to be at his most effective best, we also know his game is NOT about being creative, or dropping deep in fetching and carrying which is what the new system requires.
It then beggars the question, if we were offered 50-55m should it be turned down? when the funds could be used to restructure the team, someone like Andre Gray at say 20m would suit the new system better as that is how he plays, then add a proven goalscorer like Van Persie for say 4m, that leaves us with funds to strengthen many other areas of need.
The alternative option is to keep Benteke but play to his strengths where we know he will give you 15+ goals, and just pep it up by bringing in RVP.

Martin H
26-07-2017, 10:59 AM
The problem we face is, with the intended system FdB wants to adapt i just can't see Benteke fitting in.
Ok it maybe early days but the games in Hong Kong did not look promising as CB looked lost and totally ineffective due to a lack of service, we are all aware of what CB needs to be at his most effective best, we also know his game is NOT about being creative, or dropping deep in fetching and carrying which is what the new system requires.
It then beggars the question, if we were offered 50-55m should it be turned down? when the funds could be used to restructure the team, someone like Andre Gray at say 20m would suit the new system better as that is how he plays, then add a proven goalscorer like Van Persie for say 4m, that leaves us with funds to strengthen many other areas of need.
The alternative option is to keep Benteke but play to his strengths where we know he will give you 15+ goals, and just pep it up by bringing in RVP.

It's too early to say but a little worrying here and there is OK. I am not worried about Benteke not coming back because in a 343 he is supposed to stay more central isn't he? On paper at least it should see him hold his central position unless rotating.

Areas I would worry about would be :
1 - He will have to press the CBs but at least this way he won't be isolated and the 2 other front players should be closing off the passes to the side. He gets frustrated quickly when pressing on his own because frankly it's a waste of time. There remains a question over his effectiveness pressing though. So worry 1.

In that central position he needs to move the CBs around to make runs and space for the wide forwards. He can be static sometimes and I am not sure he is always thinking, more reacting. - worry 2

TBH for such a big guy he doesn't get into the box enough and instead leans towards pulling out of the box for a shot. Even when he is in the box he rarely makes a run, say to bear or far post. He tends to be a bit too static. He wins a huge amount of headers outside of the box but far less in i in open play. - worry 3

So worried for sure but FDB and Trusty will know if they can sort that out. His touch, technique and strength are massive strengths and if he can tweak his game a little and be more mobile he could be the top top player he threatens to be sometimes, even at 75% he has been great for us. Just imagine if he is truly unlocked. I think 343 might do this,

bigend1
26-07-2017, 11:21 AM

Not sure any striker fits in with a lack of service.

They'll be working on that. Personally I'd rather Townsend on the left putting crosses in and wilf on the right. Townsend almost ALWAYS cuts in. Fine if he's in a front three and has an attacking rwb overlapping but current he is that guy and he's not getting crosses in. On the left he does and that's what benteke needs.

Benteke is perfect for this systems. His hold up play, ability to turn and crucially his ability in the air are well suited. We need some work on this system to provide the crosses

Martin H
26-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Just to add to this I went and had a look around for descriptions and this is OK - no need for everyone to moan that I picked a US one - it just happened to be the first I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96OmBbDk8So

there is also this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKYwD7jPXy4

Couple of things I would say re the HK showings is that we didn't seem to press them quite as high as I suspect we will eventually. We were dropping off to the halfway line. Not sure if that was to counter the heat, early days or something else.

What is interesting is the comment that if the pressing/defensive duties are failing anywhere the system collapses. Also the heavy reliance upon the keeper acting as a sweeper. Gulp. Wayne has improved but not sure he is a sweeper. Is Adrian?

note - I will repost this in the 343 thread. sorry.

mexicaneagle
26-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Saw him play for club America. Not that impressed but it was a few years ago. No chance at that price anyway.

Crystal Glitter
26-07-2017, 11:55 AM
Hmm, Jimenez for 45 mil or Perez for 15 mil ?

mroakley9
26-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Hmm, Jimenez for 45 mil or Perez for 15 mil ?

Chamakh for free

brooklynlou
26-07-2017, 05:03 PM

45 million in real currency; like dollars, pounds, or Euros.
Or 45 million in monopoly money currency like Lira, Yuan, Pesos?

Chillo
26-07-2017, 05:43 PM
http://www.90min.com/posts/5312310-crystal-palace-frontrunners-to-sign-benfica-striker-raul-jimenez-after-west-ham-secure-hernandez

:D:D:D

"Palace failed to score in both their Premier League Asia Trophy which has caused their fans to call for the club to sign another striker".

From the same ever-so-reliable Rob Sutton as the link to Munir. :D

Soarin' Eagles
26-07-2017, 06:19 PM
http://www.90min.com/posts/5312310-crystal-palace-frontrunners-to-sign-benfica-striker-raul-jimenez-after-west-ham-secure-hernandez

:D:D:D

"Palace failed to score in both their Premier League Asia Trophy which has caused their fans to call for the club to sign another striker".

From the same ever-so-reliable Rob Sutton as the link to Munir. :D

I can only assume this was bad english and he meant our strikers failed to score? Either way he is a moron.