PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Troy Deeney

Stavros 69
29-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Looks like he's had a bust up at Watford, would be perfect for us.

cantspell
29-07-2017, 09:50 AM
Leicester bound I believe

cpfcfan1
29-07-2017, 09:50 AM
Great player, would love him here.

mushroom
29-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Don't like him. Carries too much weight, probably got 18 months top flight football left in him

CharlieCPFC
29-07-2017, 09:54 AM
If we had Allardyce or Pulis he'd be the perfect fit.

Although I imagine we're going to be looking for someone younger and more flexibility to play in that wider position too.

The blokes turnaround in his career though is something to be admired. I've heard he's a really down to earth person.

mb23
29-07-2017, 09:58 AM
No thanks. Don't need three target men in the squad. Need a nippy striker who can lead the line if he needs to but can also play as part of a three.

Deeney's on the way down anyway.

Palestinian
29-07-2017, 10:31 AM
No thanks. Don't need three target men in the squad. Need a nippy striker who can lead the line if he needs to but can also play as part of a three.

Deeney's on the way down anyway.

This - although his goal helped us stay up last season.

jimmy the gent
29-07-2017, 10:39 AM
Cracking player and top bloke. Cant see DeBoer wanting another fairly unmobile striker though.

Nigelbrag
29-07-2017, 12:01 PM
To be honest i would say the perfect club for him would be Spurs, like ourselves they are short on quality cover for Kane, as Jannsen has shown he is not up to it and Son is a long term injury, and need backup for Champions league football.
As for Deeney for Palace, can't see it happening as he could not play alongside Benteke, nor can i see us paying around 25m, nor him wanting to sit on the bench.
But if CB was sold for say 50-55m then he would be the perfect cheaper replacement.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
29-07-2017, 06:55 PM
To be honest i would say the perfect club for him would be Spurs, like ourselves they are short on quality cover for Kane, as Jannsen has shown he is not up to it and Son is a long term injury, and need backup for Champions league football.
As for Deeney for Palace, can't see it happening as he could not play alongside Benteke, nor can i see us paying around 25m, nor him wanting to sit on the bench.
But if CB was sold for say 50-55m then he would be the perfect cheaper replacement.
I think he could play in a front 3. Don't think we'd get him though.

BuktaBoy
29-07-2017, 07:05 PM
If he's Leicester bound that opens up Kelechi, non?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
29-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Possibly I guess.

mushroom
29-07-2017, 07:54 PM
I think he could play in a front 3. Don't think we'd get him though.

Only centrally. No way could he play wide of a central striker

RisZero
29-07-2017, 08:02 PM

Definitely would rather this guy, think he would work really well in how we seem to be setting up

Herb
29-07-2017, 08:41 PM
NO.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
29-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Only centrally. No way could he play wide of a central striker
He played behind Ighalo for a while and Keshi has spoken about him and Wilf playing like 10s in this system. I think he could work. But I'm not particularly suggesting we should go for him.

Billyd
29-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Wait. People saying no to Deeney?

RisZero
29-07-2017, 09:11 PM

Nothing against the player for me, just think we can find more suitable for how we appear to be setting up

New LP
30-07-2017, 12:06 PM

Proper mental

CP-RJW
30-07-2017, 12:25 PM
Wouldn't you? Mental fee even by today's standards for an ageing backup target man.

GreatGonzo
30-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Proper mental

What fee? Think we can do better for the money it is likely to take for someone who is pretty 1 dimensional.

pardew's shorts
30-07-2017, 12:53 PM
When Palace's transfer budget is relatively limited this summer, I don't think it's at all 'mental' to say no to a second/third choice striker when he would command a fee of 20m (minimum) and wages of 70,000 per week (minimum).

Stavros 69
30-07-2017, 01:04 PM
What fee? Think we can do better for the money it is likely to take for someone who is pretty 1 dimensional.

Pretty much single handily got Watford up and kept them up with his goals.
He's light years ahead of Wickham.

pardew's shorts
30-07-2017, 01:09 PM

Whether that's true or not, Benteke is light years ahead of Deeney, and we aren't going to be playing two up front this season...

Kirby
30-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Would be decent for a season as back up for Benteke but not for the ridiculous transfer fee/wages he would inevitably cost.

CP-RJW
30-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Pretty much single handily got Watford up and kept them up with his goals.
But 29 years old so will only decline, if Wickham can sort out fitness there's room for improvement.

GreatGonzo
30-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Not really true, Niang was class last season so hardly single handedly.

Last season Wickham scored more than Deeney in terms of goals per 90 minutes played. He has more shots and their accuracy is pretty similar, CW 50% to TD 53%. Deeney is also rubbish at passing.

Wickham can and i think is improving whereas Deeney will not. IMO that Deeney has been so key to Watford says a lot about Watford and not so much about Deeney.

WOuld be a good option at a decent fee but not what they will be asking for.

pardew's shorts
30-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Palace are in a similar situation to Spurs - both teams need a forward, but that forward would sign knowing he isn't really ever going to be first choice, injuries aside.

Thus looking for a young forward is probably the best way to go.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
30-07-2017, 01:54 PM
Palace are in a similar situation to Spurs - both teams need a forward, but that forward would sign knowing he isn't really ever going to be first choice, injuries aside.

I actually think we need go for a forward who can play alongside Benteke in the 3, where Lokilo played yesterday. Hepefully they would be able to play in CB's role if he gets injured too. But with the new formation and Andros at wing-back, there is no reason to think a new forward wouldn't play games.

GreatGonzo
30-07-2017, 01:55 PM

We have a space in the 2 wider forwards though, especially if Andros will remain as RWB. That does give us the chance to offer 1st team football. Someone like Perez or Batshuayi would fit in there really well and can go though the middle too if needed for injury/suspension to Benteke and Wickham.

McpfcS
30-07-2017, 02:02 PM
When Palace's transfer budget is relatively limited this summer, I don't think it's at all 'mental' to say no to a second/third choice striker when he would command a fee of 20m (minimum) and wages of 70,000 per week (minimum).

You have no idea what the budget is.

averity
30-07-2017, 02:06 PM
would be a good player, works hard and gets about, got a goal in him. i would be happy eith him in the squad for sure

pardew's shorts
30-07-2017, 02:07 PM
You have no idea what the budget is.

It's fairly common knowledge that we don't have loads to spend, not least due to our January outlay. You don't need intimate knowledge of our budgets to know we haven't got a spare 20-30m to spend on a central striker.

Agree with the previous posts, ideally we need a player who is comfortable in any position across a front three. A younger version of Kevin Mirallas would be perfect.

pardew's shorts
30-07-2017, 02:09 PM
I also suspect Townsend will be pushed forward if FdB can sign the RWB he wants.

McpfcS
30-07-2017, 02:18 PM
It's fairly common knowledge that we don't have loads to spend, not least due to our January outlay. You don't need intimate knowledge of our budgets to know we haven't got a spare 20-30m to spend on a central striker.

Agree with the previous posts, ideally we need a player who is comfortable in any position across a front three. A younger version of Kevin Mirallas would be perfect.

I don't think it's "fairly common knowledge" at all perhaps 'fairly common rumour'.

I doubt we'll have a strict budget rather we will sign the right players at the right price whatever the cost. We have access to very significant funds if needed.

pardew's shorts
30-07-2017, 02:26 PM
I don't think it's "fairly common knowledge" at all perhaps 'fairly common rumour'.

I doubt we'll have a strict budget rather we will sign the right players at the right price whatever the cost. We have access to very significant funds if needed.

Steve Parish has commented on more than once occasion that we haven't got tens of millions to spend this summer. We can't afford Sakho (at 30m, anyway), so we certainly can't afford to spend 20-30m on a position that isn't a priority.

The American investment has nothing to do with transfer activity.

JAS78
30-07-2017, 02:35 PM

7 years and Croydon council haven't budged an inch so it looks like it'll never be used for what it was intended for, may aswell throw at improving the team.

redeagle
30-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Steve Parish has commented on more than once occasion that we haven't got tens of millions to spend this summer. We can't afford Sakho (at 30m, anyway), so we certainly can't afford to spend 20-30m on a position that isn't a priority.

He tends to give one reason or another why we don't have much money to spend just before each window opens. Last time he said it was because of FFP rules. I think he just says this stuff to make sure agents, clubs and players don't think we are made of money and will pay over the odds. God knows what the reality is.

Sir.S.C Remembered
30-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Not for me thanks. Good captain but not a great player.

Would like Capoue though who has also had a bust up! Would be a top replacement for Cabaye, although even better going forward.

mushroom
30-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Not for me thanks. Good captain but not a great player.

Would like Capoue though who has also had a bust up! Would be a top replacement for Cabaye, although even better going forward.

Capoue is class

CP-RJW
30-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Capoue is class
Is he? Was good for like 10 games last season from what I recall.

McpfcS
30-07-2017, 04:16 PM

I think your missing the point we have decided (seemingly) that Sakho is not worth 30m. If we wanted to pay 30m we could.

The American (and all other investors) supported the Jan transfer business financially and will do so again.

It's for SP et al to make a business case for any 'un-budgeted' spending to the investors and for them to decide to sanction that or not.

If we were convinced that spending 20m on a second striker was the right decision we would do it.

Thefunkymonk
30-07-2017, 04:29 PM
I think your missing the point we have decided (seemingly) that Sakho is not worth 30m. If we wanted to pay 30m we could.

The American (and all other investors) supported the Jan transfer business financially and will do so again.

It's for SP et al to make a business case for any 'un-budgeted' spending to the investors and for them to decide to sanction that or not.

If we were convinced that spending 20m on a second striker was the right decision we would do it.

SP has already said January's spending is unsustainable... so we won't be spending like we did then again in a hurry unless we fund from sales

McpfcS
30-07-2017, 04:34 PM
SP has already said January's spending is unsustainable... so we won't be spending like we did then again in a hurry unless we fund from sales

I think the point is that we were forced to over pay in Jan because we needed to improve the team quickly.

I'm sure if the club think a player is going to be a financial asset we will make the deal happen whatever the cost (within reason).

The key is not to buy (too many) players for more than you might sell them.

Pub Idol
21-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Watford fan at work seems to think he is likely to go this month.

We have scouted him extensively in the past....

Would you take him ?

CharlieCPFC
21-08-2017, 10:30 AM
For the money they want and his age it's a no from me.

If we had money and Allardyce or Pulis in charge he'd be perfect. I like Deeney, good pro who's turned his life and career right around through hard work.

RisZero
21-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Watford fan at work seems to think he is likely to go this month.

We have scouted him extensively in the past....

Would you take him ?

No offense to the player, who is good, but not sure how he would fit in to what we seem to be trying to do (besides being backup to Benteke which I imagine he wont agree to)

racehorse-80s
21-08-2017, 10:34 AM
If Sam or Tony were Palace's Manager maybe but not suited to Franks Style of Management or playing style .

CP-RJW
21-08-2017, 10:37 AM
He'd cost a stupid amount for a backup target man soon to turn 30, no thanks.

Pub Idol
21-08-2017, 10:39 AM
He'd cost a stupid amount for a backup target man soon to turn 30, no thanks.

That's the thing. Not sure he will get in their team now so they might want to move him on in which case the fee might not be so high.

igl
21-08-2017, 10:48 AM
I'm not sure I agree with this - I think Deeney is a much better footballer than people give him credit for. His touch, awareness and ability in bringing others into the game is excellent. Great work ethic too.

EagleSE24
21-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Would you take him ?

Yes. Think he could be effective playing off Benteke. He's a leader too.

RisZero
21-08-2017, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure I agree with this - I think Deeney is a much better footballer than people give him credit for. His touch, awareness and ability in bringing others into the game is excellent. Great work ethic too.

Does he play wide forward or does he bench our record signing?

Stavros 69
21-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Suggested it weeks ago.
He'd be perfect, we need some leaders.

aj4england
21-08-2017, 12:39 PM

Watford about to sign another foward on loan from benefica - they must be letting one of their forwards go . Deeney the pick perhaps but likely to be costly. Would certainly do a good job

CP-RJW
21-08-2017, 12:41 PM
That's the thing. Not sure he will get in their team now so they might want to move him on in which case the fee might not be so high.
Good point, if so then for 15 million or around that he'd be good.

Mr Palace
21-08-2017, 12:41 PM
I'd love us to sign him. He would provide genuine competition for Benteke and I could see him potentially edging out Benteke if the latter wasn't performing well enough.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
21-08-2017, 03:44 PM
I'd love us to sign him. He would provide genuine competition for Benteke and I could see him potentially edging out Benteke if the latter wasn't performing well enough.
Agree. Think he would fit in here too.

Penstone Eagle
21-08-2017, 03:47 PM
If Sam or Tony were Palace's Manager maybe but not suited to Franks Style of Management or playing style .

Same as Benteke then.

Nigelbrag
21-08-2017, 06:25 PM
The only way it would happen is if Benteke is sold, possibly to Everton last day deal? i have to admit i do like the attitude of Deeney now on and off the pitch, but you certainly can't have Both in the same team, and neither is going to accept being a sub.
Maybe it's going to be all change at the Palace to come. This window could prove to be an eyeopener or a real disappointment, but could be a dangerous ploy with wholesome changes at this late stage.

rainbow_child
21-08-2017, 06:26 PM
I've never liked him, think he's to fat!

Mr Palace
21-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Why are we the only club that worries about having good competition for places? Watford have about five strikers and deeney is competing with more strikers there than he would be with us. I really like benteke but no one should be guaranteed a starting place - well, Wilf aside...