PDA

View Full Version : Stan Bowles

cantspell
29-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Not one usually to big up another team's ex player - but sadly he now suffers from Alzheimer's. He was a fantastic player - great skills and a bit of a showman and would be worth a fortune on today's market.

Hope they raise plenty - even though Bournemouth are the opposition [emoji4]

henryhallandhisbasque
29-07-2017, 10:13 AM
I saw the News at Ten feature on him and his plight. I had to turn away in the end as it upset me so much to see the vibrant, massive personality of such a great footballer I remembered watching as a kid in the '70s now a virtual shell of his former self, literally. I worked as a support worker with older people with dementia, and it was an experience that while I remain with my facilities still, I will never forget. A terrible condition.

Owngoal
29-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Doesn't matter if you are well known or not, a terrible way to exit life for you and those who care about you.

ebyeeckeagle
29-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Still remember watching QPR on the Big Match and loving Bowles. Epitome of maverick, though typical drinking and gambling at the time really. Spent a year under Clough uric, which apparently didn't go well unsurprisingly. And considering his talent, another one who barely played a handful of games for England.

ExiledStirling
29-07-2017, 11:00 AM
One of the major footballing characters from the '70s.

All the best to him.

exiledeagle
30-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Doesn't matter if you are well known or not, a terrible way to exit life for you and those who care about you.

my dad died of dementia and cancer last year - it is a horrendous illness