PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Here we are in August with no new keeper signed

Pages : [1] 2

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 10:17 AM
Very poor by the club in my view. It's clear we need a new number one, and have done since January frankly. Goalkeeper especially is a position that needs time to bed in, get used to his defence, and vice versa, as well as settled into the squad in general. Even if we sign one before the start of the season (which i'm starting to doubt frankly), we'll have missed that valuable settling in time.

Sorry to sound negative, but i really think this is pretty shabby by the club.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
31-07-2017, 10:23 AM
The manager change has no doubt put our business back a bit but I wouldn't worry too much - we have a month of the window to go and I don't think Hennessey is quite as bad as some people think.

mb23
31-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Hate to break it to you, but we're still in July.

Yogya
31-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Very poor by the club in my view. It's clear we need a new number one, and have done since January frankly. Goalkeeper especially is a position that needs time to bed in, get used to his defence, and vice versa, as well as settled into the squad in general. Even if we sign one before the start of the season (which i'm starting to doubt frankly), we'll have missed that valuable settling in time.

I can remember the day we signed Nigel Martyn. Maybe my memory is playing tricks (again) but I recall that he made an instant impact.

GreatGonzo
31-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Hate to break it to you, but we're still in July.

:lux::lux::lux:

BringbackShipps
31-07-2017, 10:32 AM
Loved the use of the word 'shabby' there as well, underused in my opinion. But I agree with the sentiment of the post, let's sign a first choice goalkeeper as soon as possible please Steve and co.

Hector
31-07-2017, 10:38 AM
We like a late signing so give it time, I'm surprised we've signed anyone.

I can cope with WH we really need a back up striker as it's such an unnecessary risk going in with one and one coming back from a long injury.

Shoreditch CPFC
31-07-2017, 10:39 AM
This is why the BBS is a nightmare these days. Such a sense of entitlement. Most deals get done at the end of the window and you pay over the odds beforehand. Usually that means you miss out or don't have the players as early as you would like. That is usually better than overpaying or buying a sub optimal player. Our owners know what they are doing.

Jasper
31-07-2017, 10:43 AM
This is why the BBS is a nightmare these days. Such a sense of entitlement. Most deals get done at the end of the window and you pay over the odds beforehand. Usually that means you miss out or don't have the players as early as you would like. That is usually better than overpaying or buying a sub optimal player. Our owners know what they are doing.

It used to be the best place to get Palace news but you have to sift through a lot of anger, pessimism and childish bickering to find anything interesting these days .

We should have just outbid Everton for Pickford. £50m up front!

elgin eagle
31-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Maybe they have looked at the prices being quoted and baulked with only a finite budget available to strengthen 4 or 5 positions. Hennessey or Speroni are far from perfect but are good enough to play three matches in August. The people starting these whingey threads should really consider how they would play it if it was their money. We have added Loftus Cheek and Riedewald and will add a keeper, striker and RWB before the end of August. We have more than 11 players capable of getting results in August now. Just not much backup and a couple of square pegs to shift.

whereEaglesFly
31-07-2017, 10:55 AM
Would be really disappointing to see Hennessey start our first three games and something we could come to later regret as the season goes on

exiledeagle
31-07-2017, 10:59 AM
The manager change has no doubt put our business back a bit but I wouldn't worry too much - we have a month of the window to go and I don't think Hennessey is quite as bad as some people think.

Agree , priority are more signings in other positions

Young Trolley
31-07-2017, 10:59 AM
This is extremely concerning, but I'd argue only having 1 fit striker is even more so....

pardew's shorts
31-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Unless you can afford to blow everyone out of the water, so many deals revolve on chains of other deals taking place. Someone like Cillessen or Zoet may become available, but only much later in the window.

It's better to wait to get the ideal target, rather than rush to appease impatient fans.

Also, I realise WH isn't great, but he's also nowhere near as bad as many seem to suggest on here - it's like we could never possibly win a point with him in goal.

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Hennessey isn't up to it IMHO, never has been. We only stopped conceding needless goals when we had Sahko at CB, and after Sam's no nonsense defensive minded strategy had bedded in. Now we have neither of those, and no new keeper. For me priority positions have been GK and RB since May. I like the sound of De Boer, but am wary of changing too much too soon in terms of shape, and style, all the while not addressing the glaring weakness of the previous two seasons (GK and RB imho).

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 11:11 AM
This is extremely concerning, but I'd argue only having 1 fit striker is even more so....

Wickham's been back in training since pre season, no?

henryhallandhisbasque
31-07-2017, 11:11 AM
Is Fatty Foulke still available? Or failing that, my grandmother could replace him. An urn in the middle of the goal could probably cover more ground.

Maidstoned Eagle
31-07-2017, 11:14 AM

No.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
31-07-2017, 11:19 AM

He is doing some kind of training but certainly not full training and without any game time I think it's safe to say he is still a while off being able to play in the PL. Probably still doing rehab work.

averity
31-07-2017, 11:25 AM
The prices being branded about are making this a very strange transfer window. And the quietness of it from our end, rumours and general news means that people were always Gona start threads like these. In all honesty though we have a new manager who wants to build something and I think the best way to do that is work with what you have for a while. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that. I think it shows good character and shows that he believes in his coaching. I still think we will see a loan and couple more signings before the window shuts, although the earlier the better usually so they have time together etc. But we have a new manager again and that makes it very different situation

Mr Palace
31-07-2017, 11:29 AM
We have to sign a new No 1. The thought of seeing Hennessey in goal for the new season is very concerning.

Jimmy Eagle
31-07-2017, 11:31 AM
I can remember the day we signed Nigel Martyn. Maybe my memory is playing tricks (again) but I recall that he made an instant impact.

I recall him being awful to begin with. His positioning and decision making were all over the place. He loved to rush out!

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
31-07-2017, 11:34 AM
We have to sign a new No 1. The thought of seeing Hennessey in goal for the new season is very concerning.

I could cope with it. We have to get bodies in elsewhere and although WH may cost us some points (as will some others who will make a few mistakes at times), I don't think it would single-handedly take us down. I actually think the need for another striker is probably greater.

Anyway, there is another month of the transfer window and I expect we will see a new keeper of some sort.

Tomo
31-07-2017, 11:34 AM
A new keeper could be just as important as a CB.
We’ve got 3 very good centrebacks, a more than adequate back up in Kelly, and Delaney who could do a job.
A new keeper who could organise that defence, relieve some of the pressure could be just as important.
A goalkeeper is far more important than just the saves they make.

Happy Arthur
31-07-2017, 11:35 AM
We need a 3rd keeper but FdB might like Wayne as no.1.

Mr Palace
31-07-2017, 11:37 AM
I could cope with it. We have to get bodies in elsewhere and although WH may cost us some points (as will some others who will make a few mistakes at times), I don't think it would single-handedly take us down. I actually think the need for another striker is probably greater.

Anyway, there is another month of the transfer window and I expect we will see a new keeper of some sort.

Definitely agree with you on the need for at least one more striker but I think finding a new No 1 should be very high up the priority list. Hennessey just isn't anywhere near good enough.

steve hail
31-07-2017, 11:41 AM
I think a lack of depth outfield is more of an issue. WH and JS are both capable goalkeepers.

Fatboy
31-07-2017, 11:44 AM

I think its shabby you don't know how many days there are in July....
;)

BringbackShipps
31-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Not sure that is entirely true, Bournemouth secured their priority targets really early (Begovic was a steal) and West Ham have got theirs in for decent enough fees. Both clubs are at about our level so it can be done. Of course both of those clubs haven't changed manager, so our circumstances are a little bit different.

That said, I remember on last summer's deadline day we went in to it thinking Tomas Rincon was going to sign, then it turned to Jack Wilshere, then a last minute punt for James McCarthy when it was obvious Wilshere wasn't coming and we ended up with no-one, and were bang in trouble come January. Meanwhile Spurs had their trousers pulled down and paid £30m for Sissoko. For me it's about balance, we should be securing our priority signings within these next 2 weeks and see what 'value' there is out there for the other positions as we go through August. Anything else is a risk.

Bones14
31-07-2017, 11:58 AM
I'd rather a new striker than keeper at this stage. At least Hennessey has 10 in front of him to help. Benteke has only got Zaha and Townsend for his help. If CB goes down that leaves us with **** all. If Hennessey goes down i'd trust Jules to do his job better than Ladapo or Anderson if Big Ben goes amiss.
With all due respect to those 2 lads.

bubbs11
31-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Nothing to substantiate this claim, but feel had Sam stayed Begovic would've been on his hit list.

Thefunkymonk
31-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Nothing to substantiate this claim, but feel had Sam stayed Begovic would've been on his hit list.

Begovic had agreed Bournemouth deal in January.

What I do know is if bfs signed sakho this summer we wouldn't of bought a keeper aswel

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 12:08 PM
I think its shabby you don't know how many days there are in July....
;)

Rare for me, i'm normally behind the times.

GreatGonzo
31-07-2017, 12:10 PM

Deal taking him to Bournemouth was done in January.

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 12:17 PM
One concern is that Hennessey having just signed a new contract, you'd expect during the discussions would want to know his place in the squad. I'm aware this wasn't on De Boer's watch, but you'd have to assume he was told 'you're our number one keeper'.

I don't want to unduly slag the guy, as he seems to get enough of that on here, but i just feel his game is full of errors and weaknesses, and not the kind that can be amended much with a new manager. The idea that De Boer will 'bring him on' is wishful thinking. A manager is not going to improve a keeper's technique much by himself. That's the role of the GK coach, and the relationship he has with the defence, as well as his application in training. Without making this thread about WH, his agility, reactions, positioning, coming for crosses and communication are all poor at this level IMHO. De Boer hasn't got a magic wand to amend a player with so many weaknesses, at goalkeeper especially.

If we go into September with WH as number one we will only have ourselves to blame for the points he will cost us as the season progresses. It's like yer man Einstein said, madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Owngoal
31-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Making Puncheon captain when he has been way off form for well over a year and that lack of form being condoned by captaincy indicating first choice status
Having no cover for Benteke
Giving Speroni and Delaney new contracts
Still not having a quality right back
Still being light in first choice centre backs
Still not signing a clear first choice keeper where Hennessy will displace him easily because we don't get what a good keeper really is

PS this is essentially another hate thread for our current keeper
Why not do the same for every player not considered as good enough?

Mr Palace
31-07-2017, 12:34 PM
How is it a hate thread? Jesus.

Martin H
31-07-2017, 12:36 PM

Thought Adrian was his pick?

Shoreditch CPFC
31-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Not sure that is entirely true, Bournemouth secured their priority targets really early (Begovic was a steal) and West Ham have got theirs in for decent enough fees. Both clubs are at about our level so it can be done. Of course both of those clubs haven't changed manager, so our circumstances are a little bit different.

That said, I remember on last summer's deadline day we went in to it thinking Tomas Rincon was going to sign, then it turned to Jack Wilshere, then a last minute punt for James McCarthy when it was obvious Wilshere wasn't coming and we ended up with no-one, and were bang in trouble come January. Meanwhile Spurs had their trousers pulled down and paid £30m for Sissoko. For me it's about balance, we should be securing our priority signings within these next 2 weeks and see what 'value' there is out there for the other positions as we go through August. Anything else is a risk.

You didn't really address the overriding point which is there is a massive sense of entitlement these days. We ideally need x signings has become oh my god we haven't yet got x new signings. Some deals can be done early as we've proven. Maybe in Bournemouth's case they had more of those identified players that they could get done early on reasonable terms or maybe they've paid through the nose to get hem done. Hard to say. You are right that we've had a change of manager and it is sensible to fully assess the squad including the youngsters before completing some signings. FDB may want to see how some of these players perform after a few games and how they've adapted to his coaching too. These guys really know what they are doing and won't be legged over. I'm happy with that and excited about the new season rather than the alarmist views of the thread starter.

On a related note I wouldn't be thinking about spending £30m on Sakho until I'd seen how the current squad coped with his system in the first couple of games. Why make such a massive investment until you really know?

Thefunkymonk
31-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Making Puncheon captain when he has been way off form for well over a year and that lack of form being condoned by captaincy indicating first choice status
Having no cover for Benteke
Giving Speroni and Delaney new contracts
Still not having a quality right back
Still being light in first choice centre backs
Still not signing a clear first choice keeper where Hennessy will displace him easily because we don't get what a good keeper really is

Why not do the same for every player not considered as good enough?

Because this is a key position that requires the most upgrading. It isn't a hate thread, it's a valid point. we have the worst set of keepers in the league imo. It needs improving asap.

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 12:52 PM

That's absurd. I'm of the opinion he's not up to the level, as are a lot of people on here. No one is expressing 'hate' for the guy, the thread is not even directly about him, more the lack of recruitment in his position (we have two keepers, and are one shy regardless of who number one is). I've always thought he seems a decent bloke, just not up to number one for a premiership side. The only criticism i've made here is of his technique, nothing remotely close to 'hate'.

Also we signed a 'new number one' last year, didn't work out fine. But do you really think WH's form last season has merited him jumping up the pecking order to being N1 himself?

The Vicar
Because this is a key position that requires the most upgrading. It isn't a hate thread, it's a valid point. we have the worst set of keepers in the league imo. It needs improving asap.

This.

Mr Palace

Exactly.

Chris K
31-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Regardless of whether WH is good, bad or amazing. We can't let the window close with only 2 first team keepers. There is still a month to go though so no panic yet

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 12:59 PM
You didn't really address the overriding point which is there is a massive sense of entitlement these days. We ideally need x signings has become oh my god we haven't yet got x new signings.

We are receiving record ever payments from TV, have shed a load of earners off our wage bill, the squad is thin not only in key positions, but also back ups with a lot of the squad players being released. How is it 'entitled' to expect the club to have spent more than 8m quid and a loan, coming into August?

There's nothing alarmist about expecting the club to have got a few deals done in key positions by this stage. Also i don't see any bedwetting on here, just reservations about what seems to be lack of action on recruitment.

GreatGonzo
31-07-2017, 01:11 PM
We are receiving record ever payments from TV, have shed a load of earners off our wage bill, the squad is thin not only in key positions, but also back ups with a lot of the squad players being released. How is it 'entitled' to expect the club to have spent more than 8m quid and a loan, coming into August?

There's nothing alarmist about expecting the club to have got a few deals done in key positions by this stage. Also i don't see any bedwetting on here, just reservations about what seems to be lack of action on recruitment.

Because you have received no TV money, you have invested no money in the business. You are entitled to absolutely nothing like the rest of us.

You can pay to go to the matches either individually or as a season ticket in which case for each match you are entitled to be able to watch that game for the full 90 minutes subject to terms and conditions. Nothing more.

Owngoal
31-07-2017, 01:11 PM

We have umpteen threads saying the same things. If Benteke gets injured we are fuc@ed, ditto Hennessy, ditto one of our three first choice CBs, ditto Ward, ditto a creative midfielder/no 10 we have never had with the exception of Chamack

CP-RJW
31-07-2017, 01:13 PM
We have umpteen threads saying the same things. If Benteke gets injured we are fuc@ed, ditto Hennessy, ditto one of our three first choice CBs, ditto Ward, ditto a creative midfielder/no 10 we have never had with the exception of Chamack
The difference being that in those positions we actually have premier league quality players (besides no 10 unless Loftus Cheek steps up), unlike in goal.

Shoreditch CPFC
31-07-2017, 01:15 PM

For the reasons I've already given so I guess we will have to agree to disagree. All the other PL teams have the tv payments money too so all that does is partially level the playing field and is no reason to overpay when there is likely to be better value later once you've had more time to fully assess the squad.

Thefunkymonk
31-07-2017, 01:22 PM

Agree about Benteke. But the issue is we are ****ed with our current goalkeeping predicament. Goalkeeper is as important as another striker

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Because you have received no TV money, you have invested no money in the business. You are entitled to absolutely nothing like the rest of us.

You can pay to go to the matches either individually or as a season ticket in which case for each match you are entitled to be able to watch that game for the full 90 minutes subject to terms and conditions. Nothing more.

This is a discussion site about a team we all love. If talking about recruitment is out of bounds because 'we don't own the club', then good grief why are we all here?

Also i haven't seen a single post on here that is attacking or slating the club, merely showing concern about lack of movement. Is this really off limits here?

FMH57
31-07-2017, 01:25 PM

100% this. I think this is how the vast majority of people that actually go to the games feel. Having Hennessey in goal you always feel that an accident is about to happen and often does. He also seems to have very little in the the way of command and organisation of those in front of him.
Fortunately, Parish has been to 99% of games and surely must realise this ?

elgin eagle
31-07-2017, 01:36 PM
This is a discussion site about a team we all love. If talking about recruitment is out of bounds because 'we don't own the club', then good grief why are we all here?

Also i haven't seen a single post on here that is attacking or slating the club, merely showing concern about lack of movement. Is this really off limits here?

You can't hope to get people on board with inaccurate titles like that. It's like me saying 'here we are with 30 days left of the transfer window and no third goalkeeper has signed yet', when it's obvious to anyone with a calendar that there are 31 days left.

philsick
31-07-2017, 01:39 PM
I just can't believe we'll start another season with hennessey in goal, this should be our number 1 priority.

Quick point on wickhams return, have you ever known a player come back and be back to his old form within 18 months of an ACL? It's usually a year out and then 6 months or more to get back up to speed.

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 01:53 PM
You can't hope to get people on board with inaccurate titles like that. It's like me saying 'here we are with 30 days left of the transfer window and no third goalkeeper has signed yet', when it's obvious to anyone with a calendar that there are 31 days left.

Ok, fair point the title is a bit OTT, still i don't see anything in the actual posts that is anything other than reasoned.

elgin eagle
31-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Ok, fair point the title is a bit OTT, still i don't see anything in the actual posts that is anything other than reasoned.

I'm sure the club are doing everything they can to ensure we start the season competitive. It's always a frustrating time of the season but unless we can sign players that would get into the 1991 side, i'd rather we waited. No point signing a keeper that isn't better that what we have already.

Ron Dogers
31-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Regardless of whether WH is good, bad or amazing. We can't let the window close with only 2 first team keepers. There is still a month to go though so no panic yet

Shouldn't let the season start like we are!

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 02:08 PM
No point signing a keeper that isn't better that what we have already.

IMHO we have two championship keepers at the club. If we can't recruit a player of premiership level, after 4 seasons in the Prem, and with multi national investment and record TV money in the bank, then there is a major problem with our scouting. We've tried and failed twice with McCarthy and Mandanda, so it's clear the need is still there. I haven't seen anything in WH's game during the last 18 months that indicative he is improving to anything like Premiership level either.

Time will tell, but it is disappointing the club hasn't acted during the close season. Having a new keeper bed in over pre season would be a much better situation than thrown into competitive games after the season's started, clearly.

The Vicar
31-07-2017, 02:09 PM
100% this. I think this is how the vast majority of people that actually go to the games feel. Having Hennessey in goal you always feel that an accident is about to happen and often does. He also seems to have very little in the the way of command and organisation of those in front of him.
Fortunately, Parish has been to 99% of games and surely must realise this ?

Also, in my opinion, WH does not move his feet quickly enough to get into position

Kirby
31-07-2017, 02:11 PM
I very rarely moan when it comes to transfers but I completely agree that still not having a decent #1 is ridiculous.

It's been clear for way over a year now. It should've been our #1 priority going into the summer.

Of course there's still time, but with only 11 days to go until the first day of the season whoever comes in (if they come in) is going to be thrown right in at the deep end. Not ideal with a new formation and new personnel at the back.

Jasper
31-07-2017, 02:20 PM
I very rarely moan when it comes to transfers but I completely agree that still not having a decent #1 is ridiculous.

It's been clear for way over a year now. It should've been our #1 priority going into the summer.

Of course there's still time, but with only 11 days to go until the first day of the season whoever comes in (if they come in) is going to be thrown right in at the deep end. Not ideal with a new formation and new personnel at the back.

I agree that we need a new keeper ASAP but it's the one position where you can throw them straight in. Their position is the same regardless of the formation (unless we want them to play like Manuel Neuer).

orp pisshead1
31-07-2017, 02:22 PM
With 3 at the back ( am very concerned how opened up the defence gets) we'll need a keeper who's quick off his line and agile and comfortable with the ball at his feet and unfortunately WH is non of these. I'd keep him as 2nd or 3rd choice and certainly don't hate the fella but he'll struggle with new system i think.

Kirby
31-07-2017, 02:23 PM
I agree that we need a new keeper ASAP but it's the one position where you can throw them straight in. Their position is the same regardless of the formation (unless we want them to play like Manuel Neuer).

It's not just the position though. It's the understanding between the goalkeeper and the other 10 players on the pitch.

elgin eagle
31-07-2017, 02:26 PM
IMHO we have two championship keepers at the club. If we can't recruit a player of premiership level, after 4 seasons in the Prem, and with multi national investment and record TV money in the bank, then there is a major problem with our scouting. We've tried and failed twice with McCarthy and Mandanda, so it's clear the need is still there. I haven't seen anything in WH's game during the last 18 months that indicative he is improving to anything like Premiership level either.

Time will tell, but it is disappointing the club hasn't acted during the close season. Having a new keeper bed in over pre season would be a much better situation than thrown into competitive games after the season's started, clearly.

Without doubt it would of course. Nothing would make me happier than to see Juleses replacement standing there after all this time. Hennessey has been discussed to death and he's a decent stand in if required. But i'm sure that Parish will want to give FdB who he wants, but without getting fecked over by clubs and agents. We can't afford to sign future deadwood with the contracts they demand these days. Nobody outside the premier league can afford to sign them. If the price to pay is having to wait until late August, then it has to be that. Let the stand in stand in.

Seanee Pawnee
31-07-2017, 02:26 PM

Really?

orp pisshead1
31-07-2017, 02:28 PM

You patronising Muppet it's OUR club , no fans emotionally attached to their beloved club = no club !. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on this message board whether we agree or not.

orp pisshead1
31-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Without doubt it would of course. Nothing would make me happier than to see Juleses replacement standing there after all this time. Hennessey has been discussed to death and he's a decent stand in if required. But i'm sure that Parish will want to give FdB who he wants, but without getting fecked over by clubs and agents. We can't afford to sign future deadwood with the contracts they demand these days. Nobody outside the premier league can afford to sign them. If the price to pay is having to wait until late August, then it has to be that. Let the stand in stand in.

I think Parish just wants to save another months wages;)

elgin eagle
31-07-2017, 02:32 PM
I think Parish just wants to save another months wages;)

50 grand buys a lot of plastic seats :) i'd be tight as feck as a chairman, would sign everyone at 11pm on deadline day.

Seanee Pawnee
31-07-2017, 02:33 PM

And that graph in the terrorgraph a few days ago backs that theory up too.
Stats don't lie!

orp pisshead1
31-07-2017, 02:35 PM
50 grand buys a lot of plastic seats :) i'd be tight as feck as a chairman, would sign everyone at 11pm on deadline day.

Too right Ron :p

RisZero
31-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Dont give a toss when the players come in, so long as they tear apart the likes of Brighton

elgin eagle
31-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Too right Ron :p

:)

Can't see this lot finishing third ;)

orp pisshead1
31-07-2017, 02:38 PM
:)

Can't see this lot finishing third ;)

Very true :sob:
Sky did that though:wallbash:

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Very true :sob:
Sky did that though:wallbash:

Signing Marco Gabbiadini to replace Ian Wright, without altering the tactics, didn't help, to be fair.

orp pisshead1
31-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Signing Marco Gabbiadini to replace Ian Wright, without altering the tactics, didn't help, to be fair.

Spot on, Gabbiadini was class but we rarely played to his strengths, Shef utd away was one occasion we did and he destroyed em:p

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 02:53 PM
It's not just the position though. It's the understanding between the goalkeeper and the other 10 players on the pitch.

Exactly. I'd say it's more vital to get bedded in that all others on the pitch. Having to know when your keeper will come off his line, how he likes the team to mark, getting used to his distribution, how he marshals the back line etc. I'd say it's the worst to 'parachute in', although literally doing that for signings on their debut day could be fun.

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 02:55 PM
Spot on, Gabbiadini was class but we rarely played to his strengths, Shef utd away was one occasion we did and he destroyed em:p

Agreed. I've swam more channels that Gabbiadini ever ran, but with the ball at his feet he was a class act. Lumping the ball at him from defence was never going to work. A rare poor signing by Steve.

Percy Dalton
31-07-2017, 02:59 PM
If the right keeper is available at a reasonable price I am sure we will add one to the squad. If there is not a keeper available that the manager wants in his squad no sense buying one just for the sake of it, that is just stupid. Better to wait until the right one is available.

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 03:04 PM
If the right keeper is available at a reasonable price I am sure we will add one to the squad. If there is not a keeper available that the manager wants in his squad no sense buying one just for the sake of it, that is just stupid. Better to wait until the right one is available.

Disagree. Regardless of abilities it'd be reckless to go into September with only two GKs at the club.

orp pisshead1
31-07-2017, 03:04 PM
Agreed. I've swam more channels that Gabbiadini ever ran, but with the ball at his feet he was a class act. Lumping the ball at him from defence was never going to work. A rare poor signing by Steve.

Again agree and he was only a poor signing coz we didn't play to his strengths yet he still got a good goals per game return:p

4 cryingOutloud
31-07-2017, 03:05 PM
One concern is that Hennessey having just signed a new contract, you'd expect during the discussions would want to know his place in the squad. I'm aware this wasn't on De Boer's watch, but you'd have to assume he was told 'you're our number one keeper'.

I don't want to unduly slag the guy, as he seems to get enough of that on here, but i just feel his game is full of errors and weaknesses, and not the kind that can be amended much with a new manager. The idea that De Boer will 'bring him on' is wishful thinking. A manager is not going to improve a keeper's technique much by himself. That's the role of the GK coach, and the relationship he has with the defence, as well as his application in training. Without making this thread about WH, his agility, reactions, positioning, coming for crosses and communication are all poor at this level IMHO. De Boer hasn't got a magic wand to amend a player with so many weaknesses, at goalkeeper especially.

If we go into September with WH as number one we will only have ourselves to blame for the points he will cost us as the season progresses. It's like yer man Einstein said, madness is doing the same thing over and oveover and overr and expecting different results.

I see you're another consistent Hennessey knocker, saying the same thing over and over again. FYI, Frank DeBoer doesn't train the goalkeepers, Martyn Margetson does, and there arent many who are better than him, which showed in the second half of last season.

in-exile
31-07-2017, 03:08 PM
And that graph in the terrorgraph a few days ago backs that theory up too.
Stats don't lie!Well he was 10th best in the EPL stats and 14th in these!
So depends where you get your Stats from I guess!
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stats?competition=1&category=goalkeeping&sort=10

Shoreditch CPFC
31-07-2017, 03:09 PM
How do you know it wasn't?

strawberry mivi
31-07-2017, 03:13 PM
picky, picky, picky
August shmaugust.
We need a whole new team and we want it now!!! (3 !'s, sign of a diseased mind)

Thefunkymonk
31-07-2017, 03:15 PM
I see you're another consistent Hennessey knocker, saying the same thing over and over again. FYI, Frank DeBoer doesn't train the goalkeepers, Martyn Margetson does, and there arent many who are better than him, which showed in the second half of last season.

Hennessey is a championship level keeper tbh. I don't hate the bloke, I just don't think he's good enough. I know for a fact Pardew wanted to replace him.. we ended up with Mandanda which didn't work out.. I know bfs was looking to replace him if we didn't land sakho.. and if you believe the rumours then it seem FdB is also looking at keepers. So that's 3 managers who clearly don't feel
Comfortable with him.

Him and speroni are the worst pair of keepers in the league.. in fact when Mandanda a was here I was told by a member of coaching staff that we had, and i quote, 'the worst goalkeeping trio in the league'.

Bottom line is we need a new keeper. That's not bashing Hennessey, it's reality.

4 cryingOutloud
31-07-2017, 03:18 PM
I just can't believe we'll start another season with hennessey in goal, this should be our number 1 priority.

Quick point on wickhams return, have you ever known a player come back and be back to his old form within 18 months of an ACL? It's usually a year out and then 6 months or more to get back up to speed.

Oh right.... And there was me thinking 18 months was the same as a year and six months:eek:. Kinellll... You learn so much on here.:D:p

Se9 eagles
31-07-2017, 03:20 PM

Let 3 in at home to Spurs:sob:

whereEaglesFly
31-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Well he was 10th best in the EPL stats and 14th in these!
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/stats?competition=1&category=goalkeeping&sort=10

That just puts him 14th for clean sheets?

Se9 eagles
31-07-2017, 03:23 PM

And during that 6 months get injured again:wallbash:.

4 cryingOutloud
31-07-2017, 03:26 PM

BTW, It's the one and only position where you can make an emergency signing during the closed window.

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 04:32 PM
That just puts him 14th for clean sheets?

I'll bet the vast majority of those came after Sahko and Sam had got hold of the defence. Now we have neither of those two, and are supposedly going to play a more patient game playing the ball out of defence. A concerning prospect with a weak goalkeeper with poor distrubution beyond long range kicking.

CPFC.1990
31-07-2017, 04:46 PM
Is it not just a case of that because of who our goalkeeping coach is it is highly unlikely that he is going to suggest Hennessey needs replacing.

We can all see the problem with him. Hennessey's whole demeanor creates havoc amongst our defence and it's this indecisiveness that has cost us many goals. West Ham away was a prime example.

If we don't address the issue then we only have ourselves to blame. However, I think that De Boer will see for himself after a few games just how poor Hennessey is.

Se9 eagles
31-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Surely he has been told about the bloke.In my opinion it's nothing less than negligent to let him start the season.......

Kirby
31-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Exactly. I'd say it's more vital to get bedded in that all others on the pitch. Having to know when your keeper will come off his line, how he likes the team to mark, getting used to his distribution, how he marshals the back line etc. I'd say it's the worst to 'parachute in', although literally doing that for signings on their debut day could be fun.

Yup. It's no coincidence we looked shakier at the back after Speroni was dropped. He'd built such a good understanding with the back line.

The goalkeeper (especially if they're commanding and vocal) can be an integral part of an organised defence. They're not just there to stop shots.

Kirby
31-07-2017, 04:56 PM
How do you know it wasn't?

Considering it's August tomorrow and we only have two senior goalkeepers (one who's pushing 40) I think it's fair to assume it wasn't our #1 priority.

Stavros 69
31-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Players are still coming back from pre season, everyone needs to calm down.
We never do business early.
However, we do need a new number 1

Stinger1
31-07-2017, 05:01 PM
I'll bet the vast majority of those came after Sahko and Sam had got hold of the defence. Now we have neither of those two, and are supposedly going to play a more patient game playing the ball out of defence. A concerning prospect with a weak goalkeeper with poor distrubution beyond long range kicking.

Who should we get then? We are struggling to get a world class goalkeeper cheaply.

Tomo
31-07-2017, 05:14 PM

He wasn't...

Tomo
31-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Begovic had agreed Bournemouth deal in January.

What I do know is if bfs signed sakho this summer we wouldn't of bought a keeper aswel

We still had a chance for Begovic this summer but SA wasn't interested.

You are correct though

Tomo
31-07-2017, 05:22 PM

The same thing has to be said over and over again, because he continues to be the same average goalkeeper. Bar a good 2 or 3 game period he did nothing to suggest he should be an established Premier League teams number 1 goalkeeper.

Tomo
31-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Well he was 10th best in the EPL stats and 14th in these!

That shows most clean sheets. Nothing else... says more about the teams, how they've defended etc
It doesn't even show goals per game conceded. Guys just below have played half the games and nearly got the same clean sheets.

BuktaBoy
31-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Who should we get then? We are struggling to get a world class goalkeeper cheaply.

Surely that PSV 'keeper Zoet is worth a punt?! FDB will know him,he's got UCL experience, good age & won trophies with his club. Prob speaks English too. I can't imagine he would be more than £10m if we picked up Reidewald for less than that...

Mr Palace
31-07-2017, 05:54 PM
The same thing has to be said over and over again, because he continues to be the same average goalkeeper. Bar a good 2 or 3 game period he did nothing to suggest he should be an established Premier League teams number 1 goalkeeper.

Exactly.

I'm baffled by this - can someone help me understand why there are some people on here who think hennessey is good enough to be our No 1 keeper?

The club has presumably known for at least 6 months that Mandanda would leave and that Hennessey isn't good enough, so I expect that we will have been scouting a number of options that FDB is considering.

As for those saying this is hating on Hennessey, it really isn't. It's just saying what should be obvious to anyone who watches Hennessey play - he isn't good enough.

Stinger1
31-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Surely that PSV 'keeper Zoet is worth a punt?! FDB will know him,he's got UCL experience, good age & won trophies with his club. Prob speaks English too. I can't imagine he would be more than £10m if we picked up Reidewald for less than that...

I'm not convinced personally, Brad Jones who was Liverpool's third choice keeper is Feyenoord's No.1 so I'm not sure there are abundance of good keepers in the Dutch league. Might be worth a punt but not sure he's guaranteed to be better than Hennessey.

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 06:23 PM

No one is expecting a world class, but premiership class would be nice.

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 06:27 PM
Exactly.

I'm baffled by this - can someone help me understand why there are some people on here who think hennessey is good enough to be our No 1 keeper?

I can only assume they are trying to be contrarians. I just cannot fathom how people can watch him week in week out and see a premiership quality keeper.

johnp
31-07-2017, 06:38 PM
I can only assume they are trying to be contrarians. I just cannot fathom how people can watch him week in week out and see a premiership quality keeper.

To play out from the back the way FDB wants, we need a keeper who can play a bit of football. Apart from his other goalkeeping faults, which are well documented on this forum, Hennessey is slow, clumsy and useless with the ball at his feet.

elgin eagle
31-07-2017, 06:45 PM
What this thread needs are realistic alternative goalkeeper suggestions to debate.

Are we after poaching someone else's number one, or promoting a very big clubs frustrated number 2? Plenty of irrelevant talk about how shit Hennessey is though.

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 06:48 PM
To play out from the back the way FDB wants, we need a keeper who can play a bit of football.

Be nice to have one that doesn't get beaten at his near post, flap at crosses, inspire panic in his defence and consistently fail to get down fast enough to stop low shots to the corners.

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 06:49 PM
What this thread needs are realistic alternative goalkeeper suggestions to debate.

Isn't that what a scouting network, and an experienced, much respected and well connected European manager should be able to do? The former have had approaching 9 months since things started going wrong with Mandanda. You'd have thought they would have a whole host of names to be working on by now. Hence the frustration.

Mr Palace
31-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Be nice to have one that doesn't get beaten at his near post, flap at crosses, inspire panic in his defence and consistently fail to get down fast enough to stop low shots to the corners.

Spot on. Shouldn't be much to ask for a premier league keeper.

AJ
31-07-2017, 07:04 PM
I am nor convinced that there are many options better than WH that we can afford along with the others players we need. I saw goalkeepers all over the premier league make mistakes last season and those who didnt are at the top clubs. I dont see the point in spending 10m on a goalkeeper who benefits the team about the same as Hennesey.

elgin eagle
31-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Isn't that what a scouting network, and an experienced, much respected and well connected European manager should be able to do? The former have had approaching 9 months since things started going wrong with Mandanda. You'd have thought they would have a whole host of names to be working on by now. Hence the frustration.

It is but one or two suggestions shouldn't be too difficult. How about this guy?

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/11/17/philadelphia-unions-andre-blake-named-mls-allstate-goalkeeper-year

Se9 eagles
31-07-2017, 07:30 PM
What's the point with the slow build up from the back playing good football then Hen ****s it all up in a second?

Ruskin Old Boy
31-07-2017, 07:34 PM
This thread must make amusing reading to FdB. All these people knowing better than him, how could he be so wrong in not signing a new keeper before anyone else.

Mr Palace
31-07-2017, 07:37 PM
This thread must make amusing reading to FdB. All these people knowing better than him, how could he be so wrong in not signing a new keeper before anyone else.

I imagine he wants the club to sign a new keeper.

BuktaBoy
31-07-2017, 08:09 PM
I'm not convinced personally, Brad Jones who was Liverpool's third choice keeper is Feyenoord's No.1 so I'm not sure there are abundance of good keepers in the Dutch league. Might be worth a punt but not sure he's guaranteed to be better than Hennessey.

I hear what you're saying but there's always a few gems knocking about. I haven't seen Zoet in action I'm just plucking him out as an example based on his credentials. Personally, I like the look of the Brentford 'keeper Bentley who was at Southend. Could he step up?

Are there any young 'keepers at Prem clubs being kept out by bigger names we could try?

Krise
31-07-2017, 08:22 PM
I am nor convinced that there are many options better than WH that we can afford along with the others players we need. I saw goalkeepers all over the premier league make mistakes last season and those who didnt are at the top clubs. I dont see the point in spending 10m on a goalkeeper who benefits the team about the same as Hennesey.

Some of us would have liked to have Begovic for £10m, but he went to Bournemouth.

Tomo
31-07-2017, 08:37 PM

Of course there are.
We've seen in the past the difference a keeper can make to us.

Plenty make the odd mistake.
Do you think any others have the glaringly obvious weaknesses that Henenesey has?

hulkster
31-07-2017, 09:22 PM

Keepers can and do make mistakes but, if their all round game is good and presence is strong, then they are afforded the odd mistake. When as in Wayne's case, they are slow, clumsy and generally shit, then the mistakes on top,when they happen, tend to irk somewhat. He's not good enough, wasn't ever going to be good enough and never will be good enough to be a PL number one.

Replacement needed pronto.

Billy Rhino
31-07-2017, 09:32 PM
Hennessey is class, Palace legend in the making

Shoreditch CPFC
31-07-2017, 09:40 PM
Considering it's August tomorrow and we only have two senior goalkeepers (one who's pushing 40) I think it's fair to assume it wasn't our #1 priority.

Absolute bollocks and you know it. What if our number one target isn't available until a replacement is found? Should we panic buy and get someone else? No doubt there are back up plans but why panic?

jimmy the gent
31-07-2017, 09:51 PM

zdJ8x6lyrfo

SeanPalace84
31-07-2017, 10:23 PM

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

Stinger1
31-07-2017, 11:10 PM
What's the point with the slow build up from the back playing good football then Hen ****s it all up in a second?

In that case we should just sign Victor Valdes on free. Can pass and is no worse than Hennessey.

Latvian Eagle
31-07-2017, 11:15 PM
Whilst I agree a lot of deals get done late on in the window. For me Goalkeeper isn't a position you can just sign someone and drop them in. They need time to build a relationship and understanding with the backline.

I remember when we signed Matt Clarke he looked awful at first because he was just thrown into the team. It was only once it clicked that he started to show his true ability.

RisZero
31-07-2017, 11:25 PM
Whilst I agree a lot of deals get done late on in the window. For me Goalkeeper isn't a position you can just sign someone and drop them in. They need time to build a relationship and understanding with the backline.

Strangely I thought the opposite, I get the feeling a goalkeepers ability is based way more on individuality than not. Knowing when to come and when not to, clear strong communication ability, finesse, etc.

The rest of the back line has to be way more drilled in training with regards to things like positioning, playing the ball out, playing the offside trap, etc.

Lydder
01-08-2017, 12:13 AM
Here we are in August with no Striker signed! Let Campbell go and Remy gone back. If Benteke it's injured....

Tomo
01-08-2017, 06:11 AM
Strangely I thought the opposite, I get the feeling a goalkeepers ability is based way more on individuality than not. Knowing when to come and when not to, clear strong communication ability, finesse, etc.

The rest of the back line has to be way more drilled in training with regards to things like positioning, playing the ball out, playing the offside trap, etc.

That all comes from the keeper. I played to a fairly decent standard.
The Keeper should be the conductor of the back 4. Dictating what line the defence should be at, controlling situations.

Something I think we rarely see from Hennesey. Can't remember who, but someone scored from a freekick routine. Puncheon was out of position but Hennesey was just pointing where he should be standing, which was hard because Punch was watching the ball. He should have been screaming at him where to stand.

Ron Dogers
01-08-2017, 06:29 AM
Exactly.

The club has presumably known for at least 6 months that Mandanda would leave and that Hennessey isn't good enough, so I expect that we will have been scouting a number of options that FDB is considering.

As for those saying this is hating on Hennessey, it really isn't. It's just saying what should be obvious to anyone who watches Hennessey play - he isn't good enough.

We won't have been scouting FDB options as any keepers would have a best played a couple of friendlies only. I think taking a month to get presumably our first choice manager lost us so much of the transfer window.

El Aguila
01-08-2017, 06:32 AM
We still had a chance for Begovic this summer but SA wasn't interested.

You are correct though

Sam can't have been planning to go with just the Hen and Jules - do you know who was the Third Man?

Tomo
01-08-2017, 06:58 AM
Sam can't have been planning to go with just the Hen and Jules - do you know who was the Third Man?

IF we got Sakho he'd have been going for a young keeper, but the early plan was to keep WH as number 1.
If we didn't get him, I don't know what Sams plan was, but he turned down the chance to pursue Begovic.
If that might have changed if we signed Sakho I don't know.
Mandanda had been training since Feb but Sam had decided he didn't want him.

I was told all this a couple of days after the season finished so plans may have changed, but clearly have a lot more since then!

El Aguila
01-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Thanks - gives us a good idea of the budget!

917L
01-08-2017, 07:16 AM

So do I, but can you imagine the abuse WH would get on here if he let in the free kick NM did on his debut against Spurs?

917L
01-08-2017, 07:19 AM

I remember when we signed Matt Clarke he looked awful at first because he was just thrown into the team. It was only once it clicked that he started to show his true ability.

Maybe, depends on the player I guess

Nico Vaesen was superb from day 1 after replacing Mhyre

Mr Palace
01-08-2017, 07:26 AM
We won't have been scouting FDB options as any keepers would have a best played a couple of friendlies only. I think taking a month to get presumably our first choice manager lost us so much of the transfer window.

I see what you mean but maybe some of the options we have been scouting appeal to FDB? Or maybe FDB knows who he wants as he has worked with them before. I can't believe that we won't have the new No 1 in place by the end of the window. The alternative is too depressing to contemplate.

jimmy the gent
01-08-2017, 07:39 AM

Don't want to reveal my sources, but pretty sure it was Harry Lime.

Nigelbrag
01-08-2017, 08:34 AM
There is no questioning that Management and the Board are aware of the need to strengthen urgently, but why wait? some on the bbs will come up with numerous reasons as to why not, also the window does not close until another month.
But for all those reasons, why is it then "big clubs" or even the "lesser" ones like Huddersfield as we have seen can plan well in advance so as to have players in place and prepared from day one, so it can be done if you are willing.
And surely it's nothing totally to do with money alone as lesser clubs can plan accordingly to their own finances, not forgetting even the Bottom club receives payments of around 120m p.a from the premiership alone excluding other income from other sources, surely sufficiently to allow for planning of any spending ahead.
As for Palace, the facts are at this moment with just TWO weeks before the season starts and having released several players possibly around 8 has clearly left us short of squad numbers, but also the First Team in need of further quality additions to raise the standard is without doubt, yet all we have done to date is add just TWO players one being on loan, is that acceptable? Please lets not hear that old chestnut again of there being plenty of time still. Failure to plan in advance is a plan for failure.
As for what is needed, we clearly need as a priority and urgently before the season starts in my opinion (1) Goalkeeper (2) Striker or TWO, and then less urgently but before the window shuts a RWB, CB and an additional defensive midfield cover for Luka, if we are expecting a playing revolution from FdB, then lets supply him with the tools to do so before judging.

elgin eagle
01-08-2017, 08:55 AM
Although last season was the biggest struggle since promotion, once we addressed the problems with the spine and left flank we looked like a really decent side again. Not as good as the 1991 side obviously, but still one capable of beating the best in the country. We may have lost Sakho since then, but have strengthened year on year. If we can't find 11 players to get results this month without relying on the latest transfer window i'll be very surprised. Zaha, Benteke, Townsend picks itself up front, we have numerous midfield options, and Dann is back and looking good in defence. You can argue that we have to replace Sakho and Mandanda still, but we have added Riedewald and Ruben Loftus Cheek. If Hennessey or Jules can do their job well for a couple of matches and nobody gets injured I see no reason to panic at this stage. We can easily get results with what we have if they are able to adapt to the formation change in a high paced league. I'm more concerned about that to be honest. Our central defenders arent the quickest.

Tomo
01-08-2017, 10:19 AM
That's all well and good, but it's best case scenarios.

What if Hennesey gets sent off in his first game and Benteke tears his hamstring?
We're left with one goalkeeper and no proper strikers.

Cliche I know, but failing to plan is planning to fail.

elgin eagle
01-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Pretty certain that isn't the case with FdB here. Never seen a more focused bloke.

Tomo
01-08-2017, 10:58 AM
I'm not doubting it...
But the fact is, we are 4 or 5 players short from where I think we'd all like us to be.
A freak bit of bad luck could leave us in serious problems.

Heath eagle
01-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Still **** all happening

CoDownEagle
01-08-2017, 11:13 AM
I'm not doubting it...
But the fact is, we are 4 or 5 players short from where I think we'd all like us to be.

I'm not so sure it's even freak bad luck. Leaving yourself exposed with one experienced striker and a lack of GK cover could be classed as stupidity

Tomo
01-08-2017, 11:16 AM
well yes. That's sort of my point.
Us failing to prepare for those possibilities is asking for trouble

jimmy the gent
01-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Indeed, or Benteke gets a straight red and a three match ban, leaving us with what Freddie Ladapo up front?

elgin eagle
01-08-2017, 11:24 AM
I'm not doubting it...

Without doubt. Thats supposed to be the whole point of a stupid 25 man squad and transfer windows that end after the season has started though. We need to replace the misfit Mandanda, the cripple Remy, and the hero Sakho. With better players than them. There are 4 weeks to achieve that. There are good enough players to manage in the meantime. Mandanda and Remy contributed next to feck all last season anyway.

DARZET EAGLE
01-08-2017, 11:39 AM
Have faith people, we still have thje pleasure of discussing the 'four targets' advised by Dominic Fyfield.

Ninjas Headband
01-08-2017, 11:47 AM
This thread has been going for 24 hours now and still now signing of a new goalkeeper, wtf!
This is no way to run a football club in the age of instant gratification. Sort it out Palace!

Maidstoned Eagle
01-08-2017, 11:51 AM
If we havent signed a striker, GK and a right back by August 31st i may kill myself.

Tomo
01-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Without doubt. Thats supposed to be the whole point of a stupid 25 man squad and transfer windows that end after the season has started though. We need to replace the misfit Mandanda, the cripple Remy, and the hero Sakho. With better players than them. There are 4 weeks to achieve that. There are good enough players to manage in the meantime. Mandanda and Remy contributed next to feck all last season anyway.

Not necessarily better players than them, but certainly what else we have.
I'd like another CB, but if push comes to shove we can play 4-3-3, and have decent cover.
But a lack of an adequate Goalkeeper, and a striker who can play alongside Benteke, take some pressure off, is vital, and should be done sooner rather than later. I'd actually take a striker on loan for now.

I'm generally quite relaxed about transfers etc, but would be concerned that we've rightly got rid of so many, without replacing.

kabbott
01-08-2017, 12:11 PM
While they were in France over the weekend, they could have been checking up on these keepers:

Alphonse Areola (PSG's reserve keeper kept out by Trapp). Had an excellent loan spell at Villareal a couple of seasons ago. Played a few games for the PSG 1st team but made one or two mistakes. There's a lot of pressure to do well at PSG, but he's still very young.
Stéphane Ruffier (St Etienne) is about 4th in the pecking order for French national keeper.
Baptiste Reynet (Dijon) is a very underrated keeper 'cos he plays for an unfashionable club. He'll go to a bigger club soon.

And last but not least, and please don't laugh ...

Cédric Carrasso! Yes, I know! He's 35 now. He's out of contract but he had an excellent season last season for Bordeaux. He'd be free so maybe he could do a job for a season! Sporting Portugal are interested apparently.

James SG
01-08-2017, 12:15 PM
Have faith people, we still have thje pleasure of discussing the 'four targets' advised by Dominic Fyfield.

4 targets? did he say who?

mylona
01-08-2017, 12:39 PM
If we havent signed a striker, GK and a right back by August 31st i may kill myself.

Will you do it at a home game?

GreatGonzo
01-08-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm not doubting it...

Like one of the players having a car crash on the motorway just after the window shuts?

jimmy the gent
01-08-2017, 01:02 PM
4 targets? did he say who?

https://i.imgflip.com/1teffq.jpg

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
01-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Probably not worth it to be honest. And what if we sign a sort of right midfielder to play wing back, does that count as a right back or will you still end it all?

Yogya
01-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Still **** all happening

You can see how tough the market is though. How much business have WBA, Burnley, Stoke, Spurs, Southampton, Swansea, even Leicester done so far? Clearly everyone is waiting for prices to come down and for selling club to subsidise wages or whatever if that is what is required to get the player to move

elgin eagle
01-08-2017, 01:13 PM
Not necessarily better players than them, but certainly what else we have.
I'd like another CB, but if push comes to shove we can play 4-3-3, and have decent cover.
But a lack of an adequate Goalkeeper, and a striker who can play alongside Benteke, take some pressure off, is vital, and should be done sooner rather than later. I'd actually take a striker on loan for now.

I'm generally quite relaxed about transfers etc, but would be concerned that we've rightly got rid of so many, without replacing.

If we could get our first choice goalkeeper, central defender and Striker targets before the season started, fit, match ready, and gelled with the new managers ethos and with their teammates, nobody would be happier than me. However I know that transfer windows don't work like that for clubs in our position on the food chain. I'll be happy with 1 from 3 before the season starts and 2 to follow with the non contributory deadwood sold/moved on.

adman50
01-08-2017, 01:14 PM

If not a cold winter should sort it.

Maidstoned Eagle
01-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Will you do it at a home game?

No, I'll do it on an illegal stream so more people can watch.

jimmy the gent
01-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Probably not worth it to be honest. And what if we sign a sort of right midfielder to play wing back, does that count as a right back or will you still end it all?

I reckon it's best to set parameters on this early. Let's say that the player's FM2017 Preferred Position trumps all.

jimmy the gent
01-08-2017, 01:28 PM
You can see how tough the market is though. How much business have WBA, Burnley, Stoke, Spurs, Southampton, Swansea, even Leicester done so far? Clearly everyone is waiting for prices to come down and for selling club to subsidise wages or whatever if that is what is required to get the player to move

Transfers since close season:

AFC Bournemouth
In
Asmir Begovic (Chelsea) Undisclosed Details
Jermain Defoe (Sunderland) Free Details
Nathan Ake (Chelsea) Undisclosed Details
Connor Mahoney (Blackburn Rovers) Undisclosed Details

Out
Mark Travers (Weymouth) Loan Details
Ryan Allsop (Blackpool) Loan Details
Jordan Lee (Torquay United) Loan Details
Lewis Grabban (Sunderland) Loan Details

Arsenal
In
Sead Kolasinac (Schalke) Free Details
Alexandre Lacazette (Lyon) Undisclosed Details

Out
Takuma Asano (Stuttgart) Loan Details
Chris Willock (Benfica) Free Details
Kaylen Hinds (Wolfsburg) Undisclosed Details
Marc Bola (Bristol Rovers) Loan Details
Dan Crowley (Willem ll) Undisclosed Details
Wojciech Szczesny (Juventus) Undisclosed Details

Brighton & Hove Albion
In
Pascal Gross (Ingolstadt) Undisclosed Details
Josh Kerr (Celtic) Undisclosed Details
Mathew Ryan (Valencia) Undisclosed Details
Markus Suttner (Ingolstadt) Undisclosed Details
Mathias Normann (FK Bodo/Glimt) Undisclosed Details
Izzy Brown (Chelsea) Loan Details
Steven Alzate (Leyton Orient) Undisclosed Details

Izzy Brown, Brighon & Hove Albion
Out
Elvis Manu (Genclerbirligi SK) Free Details
Jordan Maguire-Drew (Lincoln City) Loan Details
Christian Walton (Wigan) Loan Details
Rob Hunt (Oldham Athletic) Undisclosed Details
Oliver Norwood (Fulham) Loan Details
Ben White (Newport County) Loan Details

Burnley
In
Charlie Taylor (Leeds United) Undisclosed Details
Jonathan Walters (Stoke City) Undisclosed Details
Jack Cork (Swansea) Undisclosed Details
Phil Bardsley (Stoke City) Undisclosed Details

Out
Michael Kightly (released) Details
Joey Barton (released) Details
George Green (released) Details
R J Pingling (released) Details
Christian Hill (released) Details
Taofiq Olmowewe (released) Details
Jon Flanagan (Liverpool) End of loan Details
Josh Ginnelly (Lincoln City) Loan Details
Michael Keane (Everton) Rising to £30m Details
Ntumba Massanka (Wrexham) Loan Details
Bradley Jackson (Southport) Loan Details
Rouwen Hennings (Fortuna Dusseldorf) Free Details
Paul Robinson (retired) Details
Connor King (Barnoldswick Town) Loan Details
Tendayi Darikwa (Nottingham Forest) Undisclosed Details
Chris Long (Northampton Town) Loan Details
Alex Whitmore (Bury) Loan Details
Aiden O'Neill (Fleetwood Town) Loan Details

Chelsea
In
Willy Caballero Free Details
Antonio Rudiger (Roma) Undisclosed Details
Tiemoue Bakayoko (Monaco) Undisclosed Details
Alvaro Morata (Real Madrid) Undisclosed Details

Out
Juan Cuadrado (Juventus) Undisclosed Details
Christian Atsu (Newcastle United) Undisclosed Details
Asmir Begovic (AFC Bournemouth) Undisclosed Details
Dominic Solanke (Liverpool) Free Details
Alex Kiwomya (Doncaster Rovers) Undisclosed Details
Bertrand Traore (Olympique Lyonnais) Undisclosed Details
Fankaty Dabo (Vitesse Arnhem) Loan Details
Nathan Ake (AFC Bournemouth) Undisclosed Details
Tammy Abraham (Swansea City) Loan Details
Kasey Palmer (Huddersfield) Loan Details
Todd Kane (Groningen) Loan Details
Charlie Colkett (Vitesse Arnhem) Loan Details
Ola Aina (Hull City) Loan Details
Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Crystal Palace) Loan Details
Nathaniel Chalobah (Watford) Undisclosed Details
Marco van Ginkel (PSV Eindhoven) Loan Details
Ike Ugbo (Barnsley) Loan Details
Mukhtar Ali (Vitesse) Undisclosed Details
Kurt Zouma (Stoke City) Loan Details
Mason Mount (Vitesse Arnhem) Loan Details
Izzy Brown (Brighton) Loan Details
Tomas Kalas (Fulham) Loan Details
Michael Hector (Hull City) Loan Details
Jamal Blackman (Sheffield United) Loan Details
Matt Miazga (Vitesse Arnhem) Loan Details
Bekanty Victorien Angban (Waasland-Beveren) Loan Details
Nemanja Matic (Manchester United) Undisclosed Details

Crystal Palace
In
Manager: Frank de Boer Details
Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea) Loan Details
Jairo Riedewald (Ajax) Undisclosed Details

Out
Steve Mandanda (Marseille) Undisclosed Details

Everton
In
Jordan Pickford (Sunderland) £25m Details
Davy Klaassen (Ajax) €27m Details
Nathangelo Markelo (FC Volendam) Undisclosed Details
Henry Onyekuru (Eupen) Undisclosed Details
Sandro Ramirez (Malaga) Undisclosed Details
Michael Keane (Burnley) Rising to £30m Details
Boris Mathis (Metz) Free Details
Anton Donkor (Wolfsburg) Loan Details
Josh Bowler (QPR) Undisclosed Details
Wayne Rooney (Man Utd) Undisclosed Details
Cuco Martina (Southampton) Free Details
Lewis Gibson (Newcastle United) Undisclosed Details

Out
Tom Cleverley (Watford) Undisclosed Details
Russell Griffiths (Motherwell) Free
Conor McAleny (Fleetwood Town) Free
Henry Onyekuru (Anderlecht) Loan Details
Gerard Deulofeu (Barcelona) Undisclosed Details
Brendan Galloway (Sunderland) Loan Details
Tyias Browning (Sunderland) Loan Details
Romelu Lukaku (Man Utd) Undisclosed Details
Aiden McGeady (Sunderland) Undisclosed Details
Courtney Duffus (Oldham Athletic) Undisclosed Details
Matthew Pennington (Leeds United) Loan Details
Joe Williams (Barnsley) Loan Details

Huddersfield Town
In
Laurent Depoitre (FC Porto) Undisclosed Details
Aaron Mooy (Man City) £8m Details
Jonas Lossl (Mainz) Loan Details
Tom Ince (Derby County) Undisclosed Details
Kasey Palmer (Chelsea) Loan Details
Danny Williams (Reading) Free Details
Steve Mounie (Montpellier) Undisclosed Details
Scott Malone (Fulham) Undisclosed Details
Mathias Jorgensen (FC Copenhagen) Undisclosed Details

Out
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis (Portsmouth) Loan Details
Jordy Hiwula (Fleetwood Town) Loan Details
Fraser Horsfall (Gateshead) Loan Details
Rekeil Pyke (Port Vale) Loan Details
Jack Payne (Oxford United) Loan Details

Leicester City
In
Sam Hughes (Chester) Undisclosed Details
Harry Maguire (Hull City) Undisclosed Details
Vicente Iborra (Sevilla) Undisclosed Details
Eldin Jakupovic (Hull City) Undisclosed Details

Out
Ron-Robert Zieler (Stuttgart) Undisclosed Details
Bartosz Kapustka (Freiburg) Loan Details
Callum Elder (Wigan Athletic) Loan Details

Liverpool
In
Mohamed Salah (Roma) Undisclosed Details
Dominic Solanke (Chelsea) Free Details
Andrew Robertson (Hull City) Undisclosed Details

Out
Andre Wisdom (Derby County) Undisclosed Details
Ryan Fulton (Hamilton Academical) Undisclosed Details
Lucas Leiva (Lazio) Undisclosed Details
Kevin Stewart (Hull City) Undisclosed Details
Pedro Chirivella (Willem II) Loan Details
Connor Randall (Hearts) Loan Details
Taiwo Awoniyi (Royal Excel Mouscron) Loan Details

Andrew Robertson, Liverpool
Andy Robertson moved to Liverpool from Hull on a long-term contract
Manchester City
In
Bernardo Silva (AS Monaco) Undisclosed Details
Ederson (Benfica) Undisclosed Details
Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur) Undisclosed Details
Douglas Luiz (Vasco De Gama) Undisclosed Details
Danilo (Real Madrid) Undisclosed Details
Benjamin Mendy (AS Monaco) Undisclosed Details

Out
Pablo Zabaleta (West Ham) Free Details
Gael Clichy (released) Details
Jesus Navas (released) Details
Willy Caballero (released) Details
Bacary Sagna (released) Details
Enes Unal (Villarreal) Undisclosed
Angus Gunn (Norwich City) Loan Details
Aaron Mooy (Huddersfield Town) £8m Details
Bersant Celina (Ipswich Town) Loan
Angelino (NAC Breda) Loan
Ruben Sobrino (Alaves) Undisclosed
Joe Coveney (Nottingham Forest) Undisclosed
Bruno Zuculini (Hellas Verona) Undisclosed
Olivier Ntcham (Celtic) Undisclosed
Nolito (Sevilla) Undisclosed Details
Joe Hart (West Ham United) Loan
Aleksandar Kolarov (Roma) Undisclosed Details
Aleix Garcia (Girona) Loan Details
Douglas Luiz (Girona) Loan Details

Manchester United
In
Victor Lindelof (Benfica) Undisclosed Details
Romelu Lukaku (Everton) Undisclosed Details
Nemanja Matic (Chelsea) Undisclosed Details

Out
Josh Harrop (Preston North End) Free Details
Regan Poole (Northampton) Loan Details
Wayne Rooney (Everton) Undisclosed Details
Dean Henderson (Shrewsbury) Loan Details
Adnan Januzaj (Real Sociedad) Undisclosed Details
Sam Johnstone (Aston Villa) Loan Details
Devonte Redmond (Scunthorpe United) Loan Details

Newcastle United
In
Christian Atsu (Chelsea) Undisclosed Details
Florian Lejeune (SD Eibar) Undisclosed Details
Stefan O'Connor (Arsenal) Free Details
Josef Yarney (Everton) Free Details
Jacob Murphy (Norwich City) Undisclosed Details
Javier Manquillo (Atletico Madrid) Undisclosed Details
Mikel Merino (Borussia Dortmund) Loan Details

Out
Florian Thauvin (Marseille) Undisclosed Details
Kevin Mbabu (BSC Young Boys) Undisclosed Details
Matz Sels (Anderlecht) Loan Details
Haris Vuckic (FC Twente) Undisclosed Details
Lubomir Satka (DAC 1904) Free Details
Vurnon Anita (Leeds United) Free Details
Alex Gilliead (Bradford City) Loan Details
Tom Heardman (Bury) Loan Details
Adam Armstrong (Bolton) Loan Details
Yoan Gouffran (Goztepe Spor Kulubu) Free Details
Sean Longstaff (Blackpool) Loan Details
Daryl Murphy (Nottingham Forest) Undisclosed Details
Lewis Gibson (Everton) Undisclosed Details

Southampton
In
Manager: Mauricio Pellegrino Details
Jan Bednarek (Lech Poznan) Details

Out
Manager: Claude Puel Details
Cuco Martina (released) Details
Lloyd Isgrove (released) Details
Harley Willard (released) Details
Martin Caceres (released) Details
Jason McCarthy (Barnsley) Undisclosed Details
Jay Rodriguez (West Brom) Undisclosed Details
Harrison Reed (Norwich) Loan Details
Harry Lewis (Dundee United) Loan Details
Ryan Seager (MK Dons) Loan Details

Stoke City
In
Darren Fletcher (West Brom) Free Details
Josh Tymon (Hull City) Undisclosed Details
Tre Pemberton (Blackburn Rovers) Undisclosed Details
Kurt Zouma (Chelsea) Loan Details

Out
Daniel Bachmann (released) Details
Shay Given (released) Details
Liam Edwards (released) Details
Harry Isted (released) Details
Joel Taylor (released) Details
George Waring (released) Details
Jonathan Walters (Burnley) Undisclosed Details
Glenn Whelan (Aston Villa) £1.25m Details
Marko Arnautovic (West Ham) Undisclosed Details
Phil Bardsley (Burnley) £750,000 Details

Swansea City
In
Erwin Mulder (Heerenveen) Free Details
Tammy Abraham (Chelsea) Loan Details
Roque Mesa (Las Palmas) £11m Details
Marc Walsh (Finn Harps) Details
Cian Harries (Coventry City) Undisclosed Details

Out
Gerhard Tremmel (released) Details
Marvin Emnes (released) Details
Liam Shephard (released) Details
Josh Vickers (released) Details
Owain Jones (released) Details
Tom Dyson (released) Details
Tom Holland (released) Details
Alex Samuel (Stevenage) Undisclosed Details
Franck Tabanou (released) Details
Bafetimbi Gomis (Galatasaray) Undisclosed Details
Daniel James (Shrewsbury Town) Loan Details
Borja Baston (Malaga) Loan Details
Jordi Amat (Real Betis) Loan Details
Jack Cork (Burnley) Undisclosed Details
Connor Roberts (Middlesbrough) Loan Details

Tottenham Hotspur
Out
Connor Ogilvie (Gillingham) Loan Details
Luke McGee (Portsmouth) Undisclosed Details
Kyle Walker (Manchester City) Undisclosed Details
Federico Fazio (Roma) Undisclosed Details
Clinton Njie (Marseille) Undisclosed Details
Tom Glover (Central Coast Mariners) Loan Details

Watford
In
Head coach: Marco Silva Details
Tom Cleverley (Everton) Undisclosed Details
Will Hughes (Derby County) Undisclosed Details
Daniel Bachmann (Stoke) Free Details
Kiko Femenia (Alaves) Free Details
Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea) Undisclosed Details

Out
Dennon Lewis (Crawley Town) Loan Details
Mario Suarez (Guizhou Hengfeng Zhicheng) Undisclosed Details
Obbi Oulare (Royal Antwerp) Loan Details
Steven Berghuis (Feyenoord) Undisclosed Details

West Bromwich Albion
In
Jay Rodriguez (Southampton) Undisclosed Details
Yuning Zhang (Vitesse Arnhem) Undisclosed Details
Ben Pierce Details
Ahmed Hegazi (Al Ahly) Loan Details

Out
Darren Fletcher (Stoke City) Free Details
Sebastien Pocognoli (Standard Liege) Free
Yuning Zhang (Werder Bremen) Loan Details

West Ham United
In
Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City) Free Details
Joe Hart (Manchester City) Loan Details
Marko Arnautovic (Stoke) Undisclosed Details
Javier Hernandez (Bayer Leverkusen) £16m Details

Javier Hernandez, West Ham United
Javier Hernandez has joined West Ham United from Bayer Leverkusen for £16m
Out
Jonathan Calleri (Deportivo Maldonado) End of loan Details
Gokhan Tore (Besiktas) End of loan Details
Alvaro Arbeloa (released) Details
Sam Howes (released) Details
Sam Ford (released) Details
Kyle Knoyle (released) Details
Sam Westley (released) Details
Havard Nordtveit (Hoffenheim) Undisclosed Details
Reece Oxford (Borussia Monchengladbach) Loan Details
Raphael Spiegel (released) Details
Stephen Hendrie (released) Details
Enner Valencia (Tigres UANL) Undisclosed Details
George Dobson (Sparta Rotterdam) Undisclosed Details
Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough) £5m Details
Ashley Fletcher (Middlesbrough) £6.5m Details
Reece Burke (Bolton Wanderers) Loan Details
Josh Cullen (Bolton Wanderers) Loan Details

Martin H
01-08-2017, 01:37 PM
If anything the major difference is the low level of players moved out of the club. I guess this makes some sense as FDB will want to have had a look before letting too many go.

GreatGonzo
01-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Transfers since close season:

So throughout the league 90 players have joined, 4.5 per club and we have only 2.

However if you strip out the 3 promoted clubs who need serious squad maintenance and Everton who will be in Europe for the first time in a few years and need to re balance their squad accordingly it is 55 players between 16 clubs and just over 3 players per club. We are really not that far behind the curve and at any moment could be about average.

Every year we do a lot of our business in August and usually towards the end of August. This year a new manager has come in and said he would assess the current squad before going into the market, so is it any surprise we have not made too many signings yet?

Tomo
01-08-2017, 01:54 PM
That has ignored a fair few players we've released.

I'd be more than happy with 2 of the targets. But ultimately we're well behind where I think we should be now.

Happy for other deals to be tied up.

jimmy the gent
01-08-2017, 02:01 PM
So throughout the league 90 players have joined, 4.5 per club and we have only 2.

However if you strip out the 3 promoted clubs who need serious squad maintenance and Everton who will be in Europe for the first time in a few years and need to re balance their squad accordingly it is 55 players between 16 clubs and just over 3 players per club. We are really not that far behind the curve and at any moment could be about average.

Every year we do a lot of our business in August and usually towards the end of August. This year a new manager has come in and said he would assess the current squad before going into the market, so is it any surprise we have not made too many signings yet?

I posted the list not to 'prove' anything, just to clarify what someone else posted. If anything the point that i drew from it, is that we appointed a manager around the same time as S'ton, who have also done little in the market.

GreatGonzo
01-08-2017, 02:05 PM
I posted the list not to 'prove' anything, just to clarify what someone else posted. If anything the point that i drew from it, is that we appointed a manager around the same time as S'ton, who have also done little in the market.

Yeah it wasn't a pop at you just to show that when you exclude the teams entering new competitions who usually bring in volume to their squads we are not that far behind.

I think you are right in terms of comparing ourselves to a lot of our peers like Southampton in terms of manager joining, Stoke etc we are doing ok.

The thing about Southampton is the reverse of Everton, they may be needing to trim the squad as they are not in Europe this year.

jimmy the gent
01-08-2017, 02:18 PM
The other thing about S'ton is they have an exceptional scouting network, and consistently replace seemingingly irreplaceable players with equally good ones. Since we've had two attempts at replacing Hennessey which have failed, lets hope it's third time lucky, whenever that may be...

RisZero
01-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Sometimes there is merit to posting a single link over an entire essay :D

4 cryingOutloud
01-08-2017, 02:51 PM
Nothing new than.

Owngoal
01-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Sometimes there is merit to posting a single link over an entire essay :D

I like to see what every team in Europe is doing as well to keep me informed. Also like it when people then quote the giant lists. Might put this insane thread to bed or lead to 'when are we going to sign a right back, etc'. Everyone is just bored waiting for news of a transfer

jimmy the gent
01-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Oh yeah this 'insane thread' questioning why we haven't strengthened and reinforced a key position that we currently are understaffed in. On a Transfer section of a football discussion forum, no less. When will the madness end?!

Latvian Eagle
01-08-2017, 07:00 PM
https://alantierney.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/lovejoy3.jpg

adrenalin john
01-08-2017, 07:07 PM
If anything the major difference is the low level of players moved out of the club. I guess this makes some sense as FDB will want to have had a look before letting too many go.

Although we let a fair few go at the end of their contracts no? Fryers, Ledley etc

adrenalin john
01-08-2017, 07:10 PM
This time in 2010, we played Brentford in a pre-season friendly. The starting 11:

1.Julian Speroni, 2. Nathaniel Clyne,3. David Wright,4. Claude Davis,5. Henry Shuminesse,6.Adam Barrett,7.Darren Ambrose, 11.Andy Dorman,12. Calvin Andrew,15. Kieron Cadogan, 17.Kieran Djilali

I think the club has progressed pretty impressively personally. Although I would love a 7 year younger Speroni and a 7 year older Clyne in our current team

Martin H
01-08-2017, 07:12 PM
Although we let a fair few go at the end of their contracts no? Fryers, Ledley etc

Ahhh - they weren't in the list but of course we did. :)

daveamiss
01-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Adrian Just let in 3 goals in a friendly against Altona93 (German 5th Div) - terrible defending but two from well outside area

4 cryingOutloud
01-08-2017, 07:36 PM
This time in 2010, we played Brentford in a pre-season friendly. The starting 11:

1.Julian Speroni, 2. Nathaniel Clyne,3. David Wright,4. Claude Davis,5. Henry Shuminesse,6.Adam Barrett,7.Darren Ambrose, 11.Andy Dorman,12. Calvin Andrew,15. Kieron Cadogan, 17.Kieran Djilali

I think the club has progressed pretty impressively personally. Although I would love a 7 year younger Speroni and a 7 year older Clyne in our current team

Isn't that when we only had around 14 contracted players?

New LP
01-08-2017, 07:59 PM

The club has progressed of course in that time and made £ millions in the process. I don't think that would be disputed by anyone on here.

What that has to do with a reasonable discussion about our need for a new keeper, a deficiency that our team has had for several years, I don't know?

The Vicar
01-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Adrian Just let in 3 goals in a friendly against Altona93 (German 5th Div) - terrible defending but two from well outside area

Saw part of the match...he looked bad

Panther
01-08-2017, 08:29 PM

Who is/was Henry Shuminesse (or am I being thick/whooshed?)

Latvian Eagle
01-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Who is/was Henry Shuminesse (or am I being thick/whooshed?)

Was going to ask the same question. Even google only comes up with a link to this thread. :D

Kirby
01-08-2017, 08:33 PM
I seem to remember the club making up random names for trialists at one point. In fact I think it was around George Burley's time in charge so that'd make sense.

solpadeine
01-08-2017, 08:41 PM
He's just trying to ensure he gets his move to another club.

El Aguila
01-08-2017, 08:49 PM
I seem to remember the club making up random names for trialists at one point. In fact I think it was around George Burley's time in charge so that'd make sense.

Shurely shome mishtake?

gold76
03-08-2017, 05:50 PM

I've never heard of Henry Shuminesse, who was he and what became of him!

Edit, others have already asked, recognized all other names but him lol

johnp
03-08-2017, 08:04 PM
it looks like we won't have a No 1 keeper in place before the friendly on Saturday.

So our new keeper will make his debut in the first game of the season ??

Unless we really are going to start the new season with a big slow clumsy liability in goal ???

cpfcfan1
03-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Honestly don't think a keeper is in our top lists of priorities

jimmy the gent
03-08-2017, 08:06 PM
I would be shocked if it's anyone but Hennessey against Huddersfield. If we fail to upgrade in this window, then we will fully deserve the relegation scrap we inevitably get drawn into.

Stellavista
03-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Could it be that Wayne looks like a world beater, compared to many keepers in the Dutch league, in FdB's eyes?

McpfcS
03-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Could it be that Wayne looks like a world beater, compared to many keepers in the Dutch league, in FdB's eyes?

No

Son of Shacker
04-08-2017, 08:07 AM
Hennessy looked a good keeper.... when Sakho played in front of him. The whole defence had confidence and looked better

jimmy the gent
04-08-2017, 08:13 AM
And when Allardyce was organising the defence, and playing defensive minded football. Now we're going into the season playing 343, with a rookie EPL manager who wants to 'dominate' games, and a 20 year old rookie Dutch centre back in his place. And no new keeper. I just don't understand how people can be optimistic for this season, thus far. Wish i could, but to me the signs are all of a complacent and ill advised approach.

Pinkie Brown
04-08-2017, 08:14 AM
I would be shocked if it's anyone but Hennessey against Huddersfield. If we fail to upgrade in this window, then we will fully deserve the relegation scrap we inevitably get drawn into.

Sad but true

GreatGonzo
04-08-2017, 08:19 AM
Sad but true

Hennessey alone will not draw us into a relegation scrap. Much like Sakho on his own did not drag us out of one last season. Football is a team game.

jimmy the gent
04-08-2017, 08:26 AM
If we hadn't signed Nigel Martyn back in 89/90 we'd have gone down. Did he alone save us? No, but his contribution was significant. The same would apply to a capable new number 1 today.

FMH57
04-08-2017, 08:27 AM

Exactly this... we have 27 days or so until the window closes to sort out a problem that the club identified last season and the season before in bringing in Mandanda and Mccarthy as first chioce GK instead of Hennessey. Let's hope one extremely lucky game against Chelsea hasn't overridden the multiple horror shows like Burnley at home.

jimmy the gent
04-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Let's hope one extremely lucky game against Chelsea hasn't overridden the multiple horror shows like Burnley at home.

The Burnley performance is far more pertinent. Not great footage this, but still, at fault for both goals IMHO. The kind of errors that he's displayed on a regular basis his entire palace career. If he is our number one come September then hunker down for another long old season.

l4giTyDhIHw

Tim
04-08-2017, 08:32 AM
If we hadn't signed Nigel Martyn back in 89/90 we'd have gone down. Did he alone save us? No, but his contribution was significant. The same would apply to a capable new number 1 today.

A capable number 1 plus Sakho & a decent striker. That's the minimum that we need.

Latvian Eagle
04-08-2017, 08:46 AM
The Burnley performance is far more pertinent. Not great footage this, but still, at fault for both goals IMHO. The kind of errors that he's displayed on a regular basis his entire palace career. If he is our number one come September then hunker down for another long old season.

l4giTyDhIHw

It wasn't even the two goals. It's how crap he was for the goal that was disallowed too. Could have been at fsult for THREE goals in one match.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
04-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Sad but true

Sad, but possible rather than true, or maybe wouldn't happen at all?

What happens if we get a great keeper but still end up in a relegation scrap?

Shit, we will have to rethink everything, so many new variables

GreatGonzo
04-08-2017, 10:21 AM
It wasn't even the two goals. It's how crap he was for the goal that was disallowed too. Could have been at fsult for THREE goals in one match.

Both goals were from close range. Keeper are lucky if you get something on those. Few players far more culpable then Hennessey for those goals but it doesn't fit the agendas.

Latvian Eagle
04-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Both goals were from close range. Keeper are lucky if you get something on those. Few players far more culpable then Hennessey for those goals but it doesn't fit the agendas.

From close range. Grey ran about 25 yards with the ball and Hennessey completely ****ed it up.

ebyeeckeagle
04-08-2017, 10:33 AM

I am firmly in the 'WH is mediocre to poor' camp, but I was right behind the goal for the first and have to say I would not particularly fault him for that (and too busy shouting to remember his position on the disallowed one). Second is not the fault of WH at all. There's enough to knock him with, think those are poor examples.

GreatGonzo
04-08-2017, 10:44 AM
From close range. Grey ran about 25 yards with the ball and Hennessey completely ****ed it up.

If he has come out and Gray scored he would be criticised too, on here he just cannot win.

The ball was smashed from close range and even those with the fastest reaction times would not be able to move to save them. He covered a fair amount of the goal and you rely on the ball hitting you more than anything.

If you want to make an argument for both of those you could say he should make sure the near post is covered and make them go across goal but it does open up a more of the goal to do that.

Lets not blame Luka, who gave away the ball on BOTH occasions with sloppy play in midfield when he was fully in control. Lets not criticise the defenders who positioning and play was not great. Let blame the guy for not stopping the ball smashed past him.

I would still bring in a new number 1 if we can find a good affordable improvement.

BillyTKid
04-08-2017, 10:53 AM
If he has come out and Gray scored he would be criticised too, on here he just cannot win.

The ball was smashed from close range and even those with the fastest reaction times would not be able to move to save them. He covered a fair amount of the goal and you rely on the ball hitting you more than anything.

If you want to make an argument for both of those you could say he should make sure the near post is covered and make them go across goal but it does open up a more of the goal to do that.

Lets not blame Luka, who gave away the ball on BOTH occasions with sloppy play in midfield when he was fully in control. Lets not criticise the defenders who positioning and play was not great. Let blame the guy for not stopping the ball smashed past him.

I would still bring in a new number 1 if we can find a good affordable improvement.

Heaton would have saved the second. if we had swapped keepers that day then the score would have been the other way around.

GreatGonzo
04-08-2017, 11:00 AM
Heaton would have saved the second. if we had swapped keepers that day then the score would have been the other way around.

He may or may not have done. Most shots you get time to react to get a hand up/down whereas that close you don't. How much would Heaton cost us if we went for him?

BillyTKid
04-08-2017, 11:14 AM
He may or may not have done. Most shots you get time to react to get a hand up/down whereas that close you don't. How much would Heaton cost us if we went for him?

I personally think goalkeepers are undervalued relative to their benefit. You can still pick up an international keeper for £10-£15m. I think you could probably buy him for £15m plus a few performance related add ons. It would be worth it.

jimmy the gent
04-08-2017, 12:06 PM
I bet we just faff around, start the season with Hennessey then sign some prospect from Championship to 'bring competition', with Hennessy retaining his place. Whilst i don't believe he's terrible, he is IMHO a very poor Premiership keeper and has consistently cost us points throughout his time at the club. Failing to adequately reinforce such a key position for the third consecutive season is pretty shocking for a club with our aspirations, and investment in other areas on the pitch.

nicknackpalace
04-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Thouight I'd just check in here again.
Nothings changed then, same old saddos saying the same as they've always been saying.

jimmy the gent
04-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Thouight I'd just check in here again.
Nothings changed then, same old saddos saying the same as they've always been saying.

We've got two keepers on the books, and haven't signed one. Given this is a forum for transfer discussion, is it so unfathomable that people would be discussing it?

GreatGonzo
04-08-2017, 12:41 PM
I personally think goalkeepers are undervalued relative to their benefit. You can still pick up an international keeper for £10-£15m. I think you could probably buy him for £15m plus a few performance related add ons. It would be worth it.

Burnley would want £25m for him i think.

I agree they are undervalued and we should remember we have a £4.5m keeper at present.

Begovic would have been a good deal, and i hope FbD has someone in mind.

meee
04-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Getting a keeper is a priority. It's the only position where our first choice is not good enough for the Premier League. We fixed that briefly last season. If we go into the season in this situation I'd like to see Speroni start.

GreatGonzo
04-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Getting a keeper is a priority. It's the only position where our first choice is not good enough for the Premier League. We fixed that briefly last season. If we go into the season in this situation I'd like to see Speroni start.

This is the bit that confuses me.

Take the 5 goals Burnley scored against us last season (they scored less than 40! :eek:) and which ones should not have gone in - order them 1-5.

Lets start with the howler of the season from Mandanda. We all hoped and probably thought he was a big improvement on Wayne - it didn't turn out that way. He was not a big improvement, infact i would go as far to say he was worse, marginally.

meee
04-08-2017, 01:16 PM
This is the bit that confuses me.

Take the 5 goals Burnley scored against us last season (they scored less than 40! :eek:) and which ones should not have gone in - order them 1-5.

Lets start with the howler of the season from Mandanda. We all hoped and probably thought he was a big improvement on Wayne - it didn't turn out that way. He was not a big improvement, infact i would go as far to say he was worse, marginally.

He was a massive improvement. Yes he made a mistake against Burnley,that doesn't take away from the fact that we were better in those 9 games than at virtually any other stage of the season.

jimmy the gent
04-08-2017, 01:28 PM
It's a bit much to expect a keeper who's played his entire career in France, to move to the premier league, and be an instant success. Personally i thought he was decent, and a clear upgrade, in his 9 games for us. Within time to acclimatize to the English game, get accustomed to the team, and settle in, i thought he'd be a success. For whatever reason that didn't happen, off the pitch issues or whatever else, it didn't work out. Fact also to remember that during his 9 games he was playing and training exclusively under Pardew and his appalling defensive tactics.

Anyway, he didn't work out, McCarthey didn't work out, so now we're back with WH. Given that we need an extra keeper regardless, and have done all summer, the question is who comes in and are they being brought in as a new regular starter. IMHO this should ideally have been wrapped up in close season, bringing the new guy in, let him train and play pre season before being thrown in.

Owngoal
04-08-2017, 01:36 PM
It's a bit much to expect a keeper who's played his entire career in France, to move to the premier league, and be an instant success. Personally i thought he was decent, and a clear upgrade, in his 9 games for us. Within time to acclimatize to the English game, get accustomed to the team, and settle in, i thought he'd be a success. For whatever reason that didn't happen, off the pitch issues or whatever else, it didn't work out. Fact also to remember that during his 9 games he was playing and training exclusively under Pardew and his appalling defensive tactics.

Anyway, he didn't work out, McCarthey didn't work out, so now we're back with WH. Given that we need an extra keeper regardless, and have done all summer, the question is who comes in and are they being brought in as a new regular starter. IMHO this should ideally have been wrapped up in close season, bringing the new guy in, let him train and play pre season before being thrown in.

Hugo L did it.

This thread has the usual people bringing up the same poor Hennessy games that they have spouted bile on the other thread. Of course ignore anything good about him such as MoM performances and clean sheets. At least he plays even when needing painkillers. Unlike seasick Steve. Get a life

GreatGonzo
04-08-2017, 01:37 PM
He was a massive improvement. Yes he made a mistake against Burnley,that doesn't take away from the fact that we were better in those 9 games than at virtually any other stage of the season.

PMSL.

Do you remember last season?

Mandanda - 0 Clean Sheets, we got 11 points from those 9 games, played only 1 game against the top 6 and 2 against those relegated. He made very few really good saves and several goals he could have done better as well as the absolute howler at Burnley.

GreatGonzo
04-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Anyway, he didn't work out, McCarthey didn't work out, so now we're back with WH. Given that we need an extra keeper regardless, and have done all summer, the question is who comes in and are they being brought in as a new regular starter.

McCarthy was pre season, started No.1 and didn't work out. Mandanda was brought in pre-season, started No.1 and didn't work out.

What you are asking for has happened twice in the past 2 seasons. How did that work out?

smoll
04-08-2017, 01:47 PM
Hugo L did it.

This thread has the usual people bringing up the same poor Hennessy games that they have spouted bile on the other thread. Of course ignore anything good about him such as MoM performances and clean sheets. At least he plays even when needing painkillers. Unlike seasick Steve. Get a life
Don't know why people are even still debating this. Hennesey is the worst keeper in the premier league and needs replacing. If he's still our number 1 on 1st September then we have major problems. Close thread

GreatGonzo
04-08-2017, 01:58 PM
Don't know why people are even still debating this. Hennesey is the worst keeper in the premier league and needs replacing. If he's still our number 1 on 1st September then we have major problems. Close thread

Debating it because some people do not agree that he is the worst in the PL. Debated because i think we would all look to improve that area if given the chance but a lot harder said than done as Palace have proved for the past 2 years!

Owngoal
04-08-2017, 01:58 PM
McCarthy was pre season, started No.1 and didn't work out. Mandanda was brought in pre-season, started No.1 and didn't work out.

What you are asking for has happened twice in the past 2 seasons. How did that work out?

Reasoned and totally right post. In that time Jules played twice and we lost twice. Played well at Man U but had possibly the worst game of his life at Southampton which was sad to see.

We really should have let both contracts lapse (Jules and Hennessy) and get rid of Steve to let us get three keepers in, one being young and two experienced. Instead we are still not capable of getting one in for the remaining spot. Pardew was responsible for the last two fiascos so hopefully our pretty decent keeping coach and new manager should be able to identify one target. It is pointless to just keep slagging off the one player who can at least do a reasonable job most of the time.

Owngoal
04-08-2017, 02:02 PM

He was better than Steve and Jules and several others. Wonder why Newcastle are so desperate to get some new keepers in? Joe Hart will also be interesting as certainly was not great at Torino.

Purepalace
04-08-2017, 02:04 PM
Should never have sold that nice Steeeeve fellow ☺

jimmy the gent
04-08-2017, 02:07 PM

I don't understand what you're saying here. That we shouldn't bother trying to replace Hennessy, because Pardew bought to unsuccessful signings in goal?

GreatGonzo
04-08-2017, 02:17 PM
I don't understand what you're saying here. That we shouldn't bother trying to replace Hennessy, because Pardew bought to unsuccessful signings in goal?

No i am saying getting them in pre-season is certainly no guarantee to success and it is unlikely to have a bearing on whether short, medium or long term they replace WH.

Getting a decent replacement in is the key and if that is August 31 then so be it. I suspect we are looking but not many people are moving in our area of the market at this moment - hopefully that will change and we can find someone.

CP-RJW
04-08-2017, 02:20 PM
He was better than Steve and Jules and several others. Wonder why Newcastle are so desperate to get some new keepers in? Joe Hart will also be interesting as certainly was not great at Torino.

He was decent at Torino from what I've seen/heard, more than good enough for a team like us or West Ham, but just not as good as the Torino fans apparently expected the England number one to be.

jimmy the gent
04-08-2017, 02:23 PM
Hart's a good keeper, but his status and reputation far outweigh his abilities. So do his wages, i'd imagine. Never thought we'd be in for him.

AJ
04-08-2017, 02:24 PM

Total BS. No way were any of our performances good under Pardew and certainly none were better than those under Allerdyce. Incidently, i dont believe the goalkeepers had too much to do with the performances.

meee
04-08-2017, 02:25 PM
PMSL.

Do you remember last season?

Mandanda - 0 Clean Sheets, we got 11 points from those 9 games, played only 1 game against the top 6 and 2 against those relegated. He made very few really good saves and several goals he could have done better as well as the absolute howler at Burnley.

It's not just about saves. Hennessey is a pretty decent shot stopper. Mandanda however is better. The real area he improved us in was his command of the box and getting us playing quickly. We lost 5-4 when Hennessey came back in. Says all you need to know really.

Bones14
04-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Rather than wait to see if a keeper just walks in off the street, does anyone think the club might well, you know, put in a ****en bid for one:D

May well be a sneaky way of doing business but you never know until you try.

meee
04-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Total BS. No way were any of our performances good under Pardew and certainly none were better than those under Allerdyce. Incidently, i dont believe the goalkeepers had too much to do with the performances.

In the games Mandanda played we got 11 points from 9 games,including a win without Zaha. We didn't finish the season with 45 points so it was a better than average spell. The goalkeeper makes a difference to that,however small. If we replaced Benteke with Campbell for 29 games we'd be worse off. If we had Lee playing instead of Zaha we'd be worse off. The same applies here. Hennessey is the worst keeper in the league. There are only 6 or 7 better than Mandanda.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
04-08-2017, 02:33 PM
No i am saying getting them in pre-season is certainly no guarantee to success and it is unlikely to have a bearing on whether short, medium or long term they replace WH.

Getting a decent replacement in is the key and if that is August 31 then so be it. I suspect we are looking but not many people are moving in our area of the market at this moment - hopefully that will change and we can find someone.

Sometimes I wonder if the fact Steve came in late from the Euros (as did Wayne, but then he already knew his teammates and surroundings) was an obstacle to him settling as well as he might have otherwise. Pardew started the season with Wayne and Steve didn't have time to bond with the squad during pre-season. He began in the Under 23s/ league cup and when he did get in to the team, things were not going well on the pitch (bar that little run of results). His Palace career didn't start in the best of circumstances.

kabbott
04-08-2017, 02:37 PM
More regrets as to why it didn't work out watching this last night (KV Oostende v Marseille, Europa League qualifying match). Watch between 1:50 and about 2:20!

tcpUN5KebrA

rambo1
04-08-2017, 02:41 PM

Though another Goal-Keeper is Required,after selling Steve Mandanda.
Wayne Hennessey Isn't the worst Keeper in the Premier League.
He Got to the Semi-Finals of the Euros with Wales.

CP-RJW
04-08-2017, 02:43 PM
He Got to the Semi-Finals of the Euros with Wales.

And a random Swansea flop won the final for Portugal. Yeahhh, doesn't really prove much does it? (I agree that Wayne isn't the worst in the league though.)

jimmy the gent
04-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Rather than wait to see if a keeper just walks in off the street, does anyone think the club might well, you know, put in a ****en bid for one:D

Probably just stuck a few ads on Gumtree and are waiting by the phone.

WashDCEagle
04-08-2017, 04:13 PM
If Wayne isn't the worst keeper amongst the regulars, then who is? I like Wayne, but the man's limitations are painful to watch. I do think he belongs in the Prem, but starting? Not a chance.

Sp1Eagle
04-08-2017, 04:17 PM

Dion-Curtis Henry @dionhenry_26 56s
Delighted to have signed a deal @CPFC The hard work has only just begun, Thanks to everyone for their continuous support❤️⚽️💫

Happy now ;)

BBK
04-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Saying a keeper is more shit than the other doesn't solve the problem of them both being shit. I can run 100m quicker than Theresa May, doesn't mean I'm not shit at sprinting.

Hennessey is shit, saying Mandanda and Speroni are worse doesn't stop Hennessey from being shit

sheepy
04-08-2017, 04:27 PM
Gut feeling is that we'll end up with Martinez on loan from Arsenal on the last day of the window.

Wish we'd strengthened the keeper position more but have the feeling that our budget is very stretched trying to bring in strong replacements in the CB, CM, AM, ST and RWB positions.

CP-RJW
04-08-2017, 04:27 PM
If Wayne isn't the worst keeper amongst the regulars, then who is?
Heurelho Gomes. Possibly any of the goalkeepers from the promoted teams until they've proved themselves to be better than Wayne (besides Tim Krul who already has.)

BillyTKid
04-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Heurelho Gomes. Possibly any of the goalkeepers from the promoted teams until they've proved themselves to be better than Wayne (besides Tim Krul who already has.)

Gomes was voted their player of the season in 15-16. I doubt Wayne has ever got in people's top 10.

Latvian Eagle
04-08-2017, 04:48 PM
Gut feeling is that we'll end up with Martinez on loan from Arsenal on the last day of the window.

Very unlikely given he has just signed on a season long loan with Getafe in Spain.

CP-RJW
04-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Gomes was voted their player of the season in 15-16. I doubt Wayne has ever got in people's top 10.
Yeah but last season he was wank and worse than Wayne from what I saw.

Thefunkymonk
04-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Find this comment from SP a little worrying - "This squad is bursting with talent, and I'm confident we can improve upon our position in recent seasons this campaign."

Bursting with talent?? Really? Don't get me wrong we have a nucleus of quality players but it isnt bursting in the slightest

Stellavista
04-08-2017, 05:05 PM
I just can't see who people think we could sign as a new No 1. Adrian as competition for WH is about the best I think we can hope for - not an obvious out and out replacement. Will need to address further down the line, but too many other areas to look at now where we probably need to spend more significantly. I'm much more concerned about the striker situation.

Cpfcbob
04-08-2017, 05:08 PM
At youth level, County football is a good few pegs downs from Academy level. I believe that international football is a good few pegs below Premiere league football. Ie Man city, Liverpool, Chelse, top 6 would destroy England and most int teams.
This is the reason I think Hennesey is good for Wales yet gets found out in prem. He is not good enough imo for us, we need a much better talented keeper that makes less mistakes

N Herts Eagle
04-08-2017, 05:18 PM
We just signed Dion-Curtis Henry from Peterborough though he is 19 so youth team. Its getting a keeper that better than we have at a cost we can afford. I think we will have one by the end of the window.