PDA

View Full Version : Retrospective action for divers

Shipp Ahoy!
01-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Been announced this has been introduced for next season.

2 match bans for any player who wins a 'significant advantage' from diving.

Red cards will be overturned for players who are sent off as a result of a dive, but no mention of yellows (I would guess it means a second yellow does though).

It's about time really.

Who wants to bet Wilf is the first to get one in controversial circumstances? :D

Biggineagle
01-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Hmn. Interesting. Yep re Wilf but, plenty of others out there is costa still at Chelsea ?

Dorking .Eagle
01-08-2017, 08:09 PM
For Wilf to get a red, he has to gain a 'significant advantage'

We all know he usually gets bugger all, bar maybe an occasional yellow card himself when fouled in the box, so can't see much changing!

Stellavista
01-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Surely that is both undermining the authority of the officials and contributing further to the creation of a two tier game, where the technology is only applicable to the top leagues?

PeterH
01-08-2017, 09:11 PM
What happens retrospectively if Wilf gets carded or we don't get a penalty when the ref decides it's a dive. Then TV shows it was a foul. I'm guessing we get sweet F.All as always.

I'd like a retrospective holding back of 25% of the refs match fees in that case. Then the twats might sharpen their ideas a bit. You'd need an independant panel to review that isn't made up of dorks from MOTD.

hdeagle
01-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Officials making glaring errors should get retrospective bans based on video evidence.

hughff
01-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Stellavista - what is undermining refs' authority is not them being corrected - it's them being conned by cheating players - so it strengthens their authority by reducing the incentive to induce a referring error. As for two tiers, that's always been the case. For example, when I was playing we seldom had linos, and occasionally we had to have the teams' coaches ref one half each. It's pointless to compare professionals and amateurs: same sport and same rules but different games.

PeterH - I wouldn't want to punish the ref - he's the victim of the player's dishonesty too. The FA should not only have the two week ban but also fine the player his wages for the period and fine the club 25% of their match day revenue (including 25% of 1/38th of their television fees for the season), giving it to the aggrieved club. Then let's see how keen a player is to dive or how long a club will tolerate a diver in their team.

Of course that doesn't invalidate hdeagle's idea that if the ref is at fault (like Twatenburk in the cup final) he should be banned and fined too.