PDA

View Full Version : Palace scapegoats

bubbs11
03-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Let's list a few.

You know...the Palace players that our fans over the years have loved to have a go at.

I'll start with two: PHIL BARBER and ALAN PARDEW

When he first arrived from Aylesbury at the tail end of Mullery's reign and the start of Coppell's, Barber was a bit of a shining light at a time of real doom and gloom. Got stuck in and weighed in with a few goals too. But as Coppell built his amazing side headed by Wright and Bright, Barber fell down the list and by the top flight was the one that garnered many a groan from the supporters. 'BARBER, DO SOMETHING!' was a common cry. Mind you Wright and Bright probably gave him more stick than the supporters. Felt sorry for 'Mr 110%' because he always gave his all and did his job well, but circumstances overtook him and he looked very ordinary in what became our greatest side ever.

The ultimate boo boy and scapegoat back then though was ALAN PARDEW. Obviously the semi final winner changed that somewhat, but certainly in our Div 2 days he was literally hated by the Palace faithful. Sure I recall a time he was being cautioned by the ref and a section of our support sang, 'OFF! OFF! OFF!'

Vince Hilaire's Afro
03-08-2017, 08:02 AM
Barber of course also missed in the penalty shoot out at the Mercantile centenary thing.

Ricky Newman used to get dog's abuse.

Aylott of course - the often told story of When he returned to SP with Bournemouth and Jim Cannon said to him "the fans are giving you a fair bit of stick Trev" to which he replied "not half as much as when I played for them"

Gareth Taylor also got it a bit due to our faltering form at the time, and his annoying hair. Ray Houghton clearly hated him also, and used to practically turn to the crowd as if to say to us "did you see that shit?" when Taylor ****ed up another of his through balls

CP Satellite
03-08-2017, 08:16 AM
The first one I can remember was a 'keeper - Paul Hammond.

He was a Palace junior, but had the unenviable task of following on from club legend, John Jackson, who for some older Palace fans is the greatest ever Palace 'keeper, ahead of other favourites down the years like John Burridge, Nigel Martyn and Julian Speroni.

It was especially bad in the 1973/74 season as Palace took nearly four months to record a home win - I was only a kid at the time, but I think Hammond definitely used to get a regular coating of 'advice' from those behind his goal in the Holmesdale.

Actually not a bad 'keeper, but impossible to win the crowd over completely after Big Mal dropped everyone's hero in Jacko. I did hear a story that Jackson took a swing at Malcolm Allison on hearing he was going to be dropped and ended up with several other ex-Palace players at Orient, where former Palace playet and coach George Petchey had taken over, later following Petchey to Millwall.

In the 1980's, Sean Brooks and Gary Stebbing, who were both very promising youbg players, once again, had to fill in for more popular stars such after Ron Noades took over and we basically had five years of complete dross until Steve Coppell turned things around from abot 1986 onwads - but Brooks and Stebbing were always the fall guys.

Back in the day, with crowds often under 6,000, the main stand at Palace was a very unforgiving place and you could make out every word when someone decided to volley some abuse at a player - which used to happen on a very frequent basis!

Ninjas Headband
03-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Always thought Aylott was a scapegoat & not just a donkey.

Mind you half our team were dogshit back in the mid Eighties.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
03-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Always thought Aylott was a scapegoat & not just a donkey.

Mind you half our team were dogshit back in the mid Eighties.

It was like a revolving scapegoat door/wheel of fortune

Price, Langley, Bason, Ketteridge....

gcwhite
03-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Nicky Chatterton was badly treated by 'certain sections' of the crowd.

Jordan's Jacket
03-08-2017, 09:01 AM
The great Jerry Murphy took some abuse back in the day, which is a travesty as he is the best player ever to pull on the Palace shirt

Timbo
03-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Doris Hinshelwood, mostly in his earlier years

"Come on Doris!"

Coastal Palace
03-08-2017, 09:25 AM
I seem to recall Derek Jeffries getting a bit of abuse when I were a lad.
He was really talented but 'away with the fairies' at times on the pitch.

jaspercpfc
03-08-2017, 09:34 AM
Carl Veart

El Aguila
03-08-2017, 09:37 AM
Gary Stebbing used to really catch it. Mick Hill, as well, and Ketteridge. And was there a bloke called Sparrow?

El Aguila
03-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Nicky Chatterton was badly treated by 'certain sections' of the crowd.

Oh yeah. And that was almost entirely unjustified.

N Herts Eagle
03-08-2017, 09:52 AM
Some interesting names on the list Derek Jefferies actually won Player of the Year. As said was a strange player Big Mal rated him. Years latter Mal told some great stories highlighted that his attitude was not as committed to the game as it should be. The year he won Player of the Year was the first in Division Three. I travelled to most away games and the Jefferies in away games was different to the one we saw at Selhurst.
Doris started as a centre forward and in all honesty was up with Aylott in skills in that position, the switch to full back brought an entirely new player.

Mick
03-08-2017, 10:59 AM
Although captain of the successful promotion winning 68/69 team and featuring in subsequent 1st division campaigns, John Sewell used to cop quite a lot of unfair stick, due mainly to him refusing to commit to a tackle, as encouraged to by the crowd and the tendency to launch the ball forward, being nicknamed 'shovel'.
In general, he was a pretty intelligent player, also being a successful penalty taker. Amongst the players, he was known as 'the Duke' for his snappy dress sense.

Ruskin Old Boy
03-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Familiar names above - remember well the abuse Sewell got because he declined to perform agricultural tackles and Chatterton mostly because he was er Chatterton. Neither deserved it - a bit like Hennessey at the moment. Dicky Dowsett used to have a few people wound up, mostly because he wasn't Cliff Holton.

N Herts Eagle
03-08-2017, 11:11 AM
Although captain of the successful promotion winning 68/69 team and featuring in subsequent 1st division campaigns, John Sewell used to cop quite a lot of unfair stick, due mainly to him refusing to commit to a tackle, as encouraged to by the crowd and the tendency to launch the ball forward, being nicknamed 'shovel'.
In general, he was a pretty intelligent player, also being a successful penalty taker. Amongst the players, he was known as 'the Duke' for his snappy dress sense. Trouble was that he was aging when we got to the First Division and was slow. I remember Steve Kindon Burnley (moved to Wolves) shooting from the edge of the penalty area it being saved by Jackson passed out to Shovel on the opposite wing who was calmly taking it upfield. Kindon meantime ran round the back of the goal and caught up with him before he reached the half way line.

Coastal Palace
03-08-2017, 11:15 AM
In more recent times Dean Austin copped a lot of shit.
I used to go and watch the reserves when they played at Crawley now and then and you could hear all the bile aimed at him. And so could he.
Turned out alright in the end though.

El Aguila
03-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Trouble was that he was aging when we got to the First Division and was slow. I remember Steve Kindon Burnley (moved to Wolves) shooting from the edge of the penalty area it being saved by Jackson passed out to Shovel on the opposite wing who was calmly taking it upfield. Kindon meantime ran round the back of the goal and caught up with him before he reached the half way line.

:D

Timbo
03-08-2017, 11:16 AM
Doris started as a centre forward and in all honesty was up with Aylott in skills in that position, the switch to full back brought an entirely new player.

:eek: Hah, never knew that, must be just before my time :)

Big Blue Eagle
03-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Someone behind me in the Main Stand in the Dowie/Jordan era picked a new player to endlessly abuse each season - Tom Soares and Gary Borrowdale were two I remember, plus Ben Watson.

prizesucker
03-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Steve Thomson used to get a lot of undeserved abuse i thought as did Mikele Leigertwood.

Gary Borrowdale would also be someone i'd throw in the "scapegoat" category. We did go through a weird phase of over-criticising our academy players at the time (Watson, Soares and Borrowdale) - and weirdly was one of the few players to actually improve during the PT reign but he failed to carry on any real momentum.

Going back a bit further, Paul Mortimer got it from the fanbase, just because he wasn't Salako (in the same way Gabbiadini wasn't Wright)

prizesucker
03-08-2017, 11:34 AM
BBE got there first :(

BVB Bob
03-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Gary Stebbing used to really catch it.

First name that sprang to mind when I saw this thread!

Coastal Palace
03-08-2017, 12:39 PM
I know they've been mentioned previously but Aylott and Bason deserved everything they got. David Giles too. I was at The Vetch when he played against us in an FA cup game in 80 or 81 and he was the best player on the pitch that day. The locals told us he was the Welsh Kevin Keegan. We got Kevin Turvey.
Pardew is a gimme. I was a regular at away games when the Supa Al chant started as a pisstake. With his ego he thought we were being sincere....we let him know otherwise.
That goal redeemed him slightly. But not enough.

Benzhiyi
03-08-2017, 12:42 PM
Dele Adebola was never very good, but still far better than his many critics liked to claim.

Much like Henno, as Ruskin Old Boy accurately observes.

N Herts Eagle
03-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Steve Thomson used to get a lot of undeserved abuse i thought as did Mikele Leigertwood.

Gary Borrowdale would also be someone i'd throw in the "scapegoat" category. We did go through a weird phase of over-criticising our academy players at the time (Watson, Soares and Borrowdale) - and weirdly was one of the few players to actually improve during the PT reign but he failed to carry on any real momentum.

Going back a bit further, Paul Mortimer got it from the fanbase, just because he wasn't Salako (in the same way Gabbiadini wasn't Wright) Mortimer please how can you defend him..... The clue was there before we signed him having had some success at Charlton he moved to Villa who were happy to off-load him to us very quickly. He played a few games looked totally uninterested and then spent the rest of his contract in the reserves doing not a lot, there were issues with his hamstring to be fair.
Steve Thomson and any of the youngsters that came through around the admin and Goldberg were supported by the majority of the crowd. Remember an away game at Charlton the young forward Andrew Martin took some abuse early in the game from one fan a number of fans were unhappy had a real go at the fan sure Andrew was not the best but they needed our support. Capped it off he scored though we lost.

eddieskyclad
03-08-2017, 12:44 PM
Dean Moxey

jimmy the gent
03-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Dele Adebola was never very good, but still far better than his many critics liked to claim.

Thing with Adebola, is we'd gone from having Clinton, Dougie and Kirovski on fire, to having Adebola, Akinbiyi, and AJ (who took some time to get going). I think that tainted people's views a bit. Plus he was never anything other than a mediocre Championship striker.

ExiledStirling
03-08-2017, 12:47 PM
Interesting reading about John Sewell. I started watching Palace in Feb '70. I remember thinking in my young mind how shit he appeared to be, but not as shit as Jim Scott. I do not recall or was totally unaware of either getting stick from the fans though.

Paul Bodin in his very short career I also remember copping a lot of abuse, but again not sure if that was just me, or also expressed by the crowd around me.

Calvin Andrew.

jimmy the gent
03-08-2017, 12:49 PM

Re Hennessey, i see it's becoming almost 'fashionable' to defend him on here, but for his entire time at the club he's never looked up to the level IMHO. Watch the Burnley home game again, amongst countless others. Practically 'sits down' for the second and is beaten at the near post. Just very bad technique. Then the Hull game where he flapped / superman impression at 0-0. This was after his much vaunted 'improvement'. He just isn't up to it. Not terrible, but just not Premiership class.

Mick
03-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Interesting reading about John Sewell. I started watching Palace in Feb '70. I remember thinking in my young mind how shit he appeared to be, but not as shit as Jim Scott. I do not recall or was totally unaware of either getting stick from the fans though.

Paul Bodin in his very short career I also remember copping a lot of abuse, but again not sure if that was just me, or also expressed by the crowd around me.

Calvin Andrew.

Most of the abuse of Sewell was probably prior to our 1st Division days, but of course his main claim to fame in those latter days was his goal past Gary Sprake.

Mick
03-08-2017, 12:57 PM

Calvin Andrew.

Paul Bodin even got abuse from Coppell, who described him as a failed First Division player, I seem to recall.

ExiledStirling
03-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Most of the abuse of Sewell was probably prior to our 1st Division days, but of course his main claim to fame in those latter days was his goal past Gary Sprake.
I remember it well. One of the finest lobs I have ever witnessed, Sprake had no chance in keeping it out :)

Bloody hell we drew with the mighty Leeds!!

Coastal Palace
03-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Dean Moxey

He deserved it for his sending off at home to Millwall if nothing else.
We were walking it 2 nil in the first half when he made a goal line save Martyn would've been proud of!
They scored, we went down to 10 men and, in the end, held on to 2 all.

N Herts Eagle
03-08-2017, 01:10 PM

Calvin Andrew. I am not sure it was abuse as I have seen given to other players but by 1970 as I said he had slowed down and did get some abuse from those near me on the Holmesdale. Jim Scott bless I was so excited a forward, full cap for Scotland , won the Fairs Cup with Newcastle. A player who was experienced in the First Division. As a youngster I knew he was going to be our superstar......then I saw him play, ok maybe it was just a one off bad day..... nope every day was..... Put it like this you get a present you feel all excited wondering whats inside you open the wrapping paper and turns out to be socks....Scott was worse than that at least socks have a purpose.
Bodin I dont recall getting stick but I think that there were other issues

Maiden Eagle
03-08-2017, 01:33 PM
Old squarehead, Lee Sinnott, took quite a lot of stick. Felt a bit sorry for him TBH, even though he was pretty cr*p.
We had just had the best season of our history, finishing 3rd in the old Div 1 and instead of really pushing on, we signed this fellow, from Bradford City, I think. It didn't look a very ambitious signing and when we saw Lee play, the punters soon got on his back.

jhc
03-08-2017, 01:52 PM
Doris Hinshelwood, mostly in his earlier years

"Come on Doris!"

That's quite funny because I've supported the club for 50+ years, and if I had to pick my all-time 11, I wouldn't think twice about including him as my first choice right back.
An unbelievably underrated player who never gave anything less than 100% and certainly made the most of his talent.
I've seen many players over the years who have had far more ability than Paul, but few who applied themselves quite as consistently. Totally reliable & committed to the cause. A wonderful player.
I suspect he picked up that 'Doris' tag for playing like an old woman when he first came into the side as a centre forward:D (I'm struggling to remember now!).
To be admired even more for the stick he took at the time, but reinvented himself into a consummate full back.

Coastal Palace
03-08-2017, 02:47 PM
We used to call P Hinshelwood 'fish.'

Garfy
03-08-2017, 03:04 PM
The great Jerry Murphy took some abuse back in the day, which is a travesty as he is the best player ever to pull on the Palace shirt

Sad but named two cats after Murphy. His surname not Jerry.

DARZET EAGLE
03-08-2017, 03:14 PM

A joke yes? If not you need to increase your medication.

Harry Bassett
03-08-2017, 03:15 PM
We used to call P Hinshelwood 'fish.'

He was originally given that name by the players not the supporters because he tended to play with his mouth open.

Much more usually " Doris" on the terraces.

DARZET EAGLE
03-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Gary Stebbing used to really catch it. Mick Hill, as well, and Ketteridge. And was there a bloke called Sparrow?

Brian Sparrow, signed from Arsenal.

DARZET EAGLE
03-08-2017, 03:19 PM
Familiar names above - remember well the abuse Sewell got because he declined to perform agricultural tackles and Chatterton mostly because he was er Chatterton. Neither deserved it - a bit like Hennessey at the moment. Dicky Dowsett used to have a few people wound up, mostly because he wasn't Cliff Holton.

I recall he was signed from Bournemouth and was a decent striker, but not as decent as big Cliff.

Coastal Palace
03-08-2017, 03:20 PM
He was originally given that name by the players not the supporters because he tended to play with his mouth open.

Much more usually " Doris" on the terraces.

Not in The New Stand he wasn't.
It was always 'fish.'

CP Satellite
03-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Had to add Wayne Routledge to the list too. What made it worse was that his mum used to come along to the games, even travelling on the supporter's coaches to away games, so you would often have to sit with her whilst Wayne was getting rinsed by people all around the nearest seats at the match.

CP Satellite
03-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Not in The New Stand he wasn't.
It was always 'fish.'

Can explain that - Paul Hinshelwood had a reputation amongst the players for drinking like a 'Fish' so that was his nickname in the changing room.

The fans called him 'Doris' because of his curly fair hair, reminiscent of Doris Day.

Coastal Palace
03-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Can explain that - Paul Hinshelwood had a reputation amongst the players for drinking like a 'Fish' so that was his nickname in the changing room.

The fans called him 'Doris' because of his curly fair hair, reminiscent of Doris Day.

It was because he was as pretty like a fish.
I.E. not very!

Ruskin Old Boy
03-08-2017, 04:20 PM
I recall he was signed from Bournemouth and was a decent striker, but not as decent as big Cliff.

He was but he didn't have Holton's presence or shooting prowess.

CP Satellite
03-08-2017, 04:22 PM
It was because he was as pretty like a fish.
I.E. not very!

Probably should'nt reveal what Peter Nicholas waa called then, apart from 'Nicko' obviously!

Jordan's Jacket
03-08-2017, 04:50 PM
[/B]

A joke yes? If not you need to increase your medication.

ok, maybe not the best but my favourite

gold76
03-08-2017, 06:38 PM
Old squarehead, Lee Sinnott, took quite a lot of stick. Felt a bit sorry for him TBH, even though he was pretty cr*p.
We had just had the best season of our history, finishing 3rd in the old Div 1 and instead of really pushing on, we signed this fellow, from Bradford City, I think. It didn't look a very ambitious signing and when we saw Lee play, the punters soon got on his back.

He was awful!

A useful lower league player, but truly pants for palace

I remember my late grandad always giving Gary Locke stick!

ElwissAtMemphis
03-08-2017, 06:41 PM

I thought it was because he played like your elderly aunt.

gcwhite
03-08-2017, 06:52 PM
When Paul Hinshelwood first played for Palace as a striker we used to call him Garfunkel because of his dodgy barnet.

Timbo
03-08-2017, 06:53 PM

I think she was the better player......

Coastal Palace
03-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Ben Watson was a Palace player that got a lot of hatred from our lot he didn't deserve.
I remember me and my boy being astonished from the new stand when he was about to take a penalty in front of the holmesdale.
I was sure it was booing from the away fans but it wasn't!
Who were we playing that day?

stevedb55
03-08-2017, 07:20 PM
That's quite funny because I've supported the club for 50+ years, and if I had to pick my all-time 11, I wouldn't think twice about including him as my first choice right back.
An unbelievably underrated player who never gave anything less than 100% and certainly made the most of his talent.
I've seen many players over the years who have had far more ability than Paul, but few who applied themselves quite as consistently. Totally reliable & committed to the cause. A wonderful player.
I suspect he picked up that 'Doris' tag for playing like an old woman when he first came into the side as a centre forward:D (I'm struggling to remember now!).
To be admired even more for the stick he took at the time, but reinvented himself into a consummate full back.

I'm with you there, never forget the goal he smashed in against Liverpool in the cup, what a strike!

Coastal Palace
03-08-2017, 07:20 PM
Brilliant thread by the way, Bubbs.

Se9 eagles
03-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Brian Bason.Poor sod tried his hardest but with 5000 in the ground you could hear all the abuse.One game my mate threw the ball in his face when he came to retrieve it.Funny at the time but he looked broken.....

Coastal Palace
03-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Brian Bason.Poor sod tried his hardest but with 5000 in the ground you could hear all the abuse.One game my mate threw the ball in his face when he came to retrieve it.Funny at the time but he looked broken.....

In all fairness he was a Plymouth/Chelsea/don'tthinkitmatteredwherethatuseless****comefrom useless c*nt.

Se9 eagles
03-08-2017, 07:52 PM
In all fairness he was a Plymouth/Chelsea/don'tthinkitmatteredwherethatuseless****comefrom useless c*nt.

Don't even think he was that good:eek:!

Pubface
03-08-2017, 07:58 PM
My Grandad hated Steve Thomson who I also thought was not that bad. Plus that goal at Leicester.

Joe85
03-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Giy behind us in the Lower Hol ******* hated Danny Granville, with a passion.

cpfc4evandeva
03-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Someone behind me in the Main Stand in the Dowie/Jordan era picked a new player to endlessly abuse each season - Tom Soares and Gary Borrowdale were two I remember, plus Ben Watson.

In fairness, Borrowdale was utterly useless. I found he got loads of slack because he was from the Academy, which is a good thing.

cpfc4evandeva
03-08-2017, 08:14 PM
I thought Matt Lawrence was never actually as bad as people made out.

He was fairly dreadful with the ball at his feet, but he could defend.

in-exile
03-08-2017, 08:15 PM
Ron's Mum seems to get some stick most games.

Coastal Palace
03-08-2017, 08:16 PM
The undisputed king of c**ts at Palace, player or manager is a manager.

Mullery.

Sam Spade
03-08-2017, 08:17 PM
Julian Gray got dogs and didn't deserve it
Craig Harrison got dogs and did.

Billy Rhino
03-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Funny really that people talk about hatred of players these days when they get a bit of criticism but back then it was a lot worse.

Pardew always stuck out in my mind as he was just such a poor player I used to give him abuse. Then one particularly poor game some fans in the Arthur started singing the Super Al song for a laugh and everyone joined in, then something odd happened, he started playing a lot better and getting stuck in. I think there's definitely a life lesson in there about being positive and supportive, but ****ed if I know what it is.

Sam Spade
03-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Familiar names above - remember well the abuse Sewell got because he declined to perform agricultural tackles and Chatterton mostly because he was er Chatterton.

I think Sewell also got it because he was old school and non trendy in those heady late '60's days. In the same way that the late Peter Houseman got it at Chelsea.
Agree re Nicky Chatterton. Lovely balanced player.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
03-08-2017, 08:39 PM
Regarding a couple of players mentioned;

Paul Mortimer was indeed a 'nothingy' player - slow, no flair etc. I do remember however him playing a blinding game away to QPR I think in the cup. I believe he played on the different wing to usual and it was the only game I remember him ever being any good.

As for Pardew, he was pretty bad at first, but to be fair to him, he was plucked from non league Yeovil and it must have been a steep learning curve for him. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread with Barber, he was also surrounded by some far superior players which made him look worse. I think if players are making a big step up or big change from their previous club, they can sometimes need maybe a year or more before you start to see the best from them - look at someone even as good as Thierry Henry who took a long time to settle at Arsenal. Jedi and Murray are a couple of recent examples where some fans were perhaps passing judgement a little early.

Of course, when Pardew went to Charlton he showed he was a much better player than he ever looked with us. I think our 'rambunctious' style sometimes stifled some players' ability to express themselves too well.

Spindle
03-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Paul Boden.

Good player, constantly slagged.

Timbo
03-08-2017, 11:32 PM

Threw the ball in our players face? What a prick, surely no one with any decency would do that, to anyone :mad:

elthameagle
03-08-2017, 11:33 PM
I started watching Palace in Feb '70. remember thinking in my young mind how shit he appeared to be, but not as shit as Jim Scott. I do not recall or was totally unaware of either getting stick from the fans though.
I the old days the right floodlight on the Homesdale(when looking at the pitch) was the area for the moaners. I remember Scott getting a chant of" Scott's a twott" which ammused me and when I repeated it at home my mother replyed "thats as may be dear but its not a very nice thing to shout out loud" Needless to say I didn't join in the chant at the next home game.:supergrin:

Andrew Aitchison
04-08-2017, 08:46 AM
I'm with you there, never forget the goal he smashed in against Liverpool in the cup, what a strike!

Didn't Doris also score a blinding free kick home to Sheffield Wednesday in the early 80s, bending the ball round the wall?

Or have I made that up?

My first encounter with Doris was when walking up to the Old Stand in about 77 for the league cup game with Pompeii. At 2.45 he was outside the ground selling his comp tickets to me and my dad. At 3 he ran out onto the pitch and played.