PDA

View Full Version : Official: Kleton Perntreou released to free up 25th squad slot

Woosie
03-08-2017, 09:00 PM
Haven't written it up but Richard Shaw told me after the Bromley game that U23 goalkeeper Kleton Perntreou may be going to Crawley on loan.

[Update - Released to make way for a free agent https://t.co/HtvRuTtnJD?amp=1]

Dannea
03-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Haven't written it up but Richard Shaw told me after the Bromley game that U23 goalkeeper Kleton Perntreou may be going to Crawley on loan.

As cover or to start?

Woosie
03-08-2017, 09:50 PM
I'd hope the latter but I don't know

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
03-08-2017, 10:55 PM
The bigger question for us is does this mean we are actually signing a first team keeper? Would he go without that happening?

Timbo
03-08-2017, 11:22 PM
I don't think their GKs are top drawer,#1 Glenn Morris is ok, 33yo but the #2, Mersin, age 23, is one of those impetuous keepers who always looks like he is gonna make a mistake.....although Liverpool once paid over a £million for him apparently. Poor technique imho

Crawley have a new u23 team but surely KP is better than that?

rambo1
04-08-2017, 08:45 PM
The bigger question for us is does this mean we are actually signing a first team keeper? Would he go without that happening?

Though Not a 1st Team Keeper,Dion-Curtis Henry,19,has been Signed after being Released by Peterborough United.

gold76
05-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Perntreou is over age now, best for him to get some game time at a decent level, although you'd feel, he'll be kept busy!

Timbo
05-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Perntreou is over age now, best for him to get some game time at a decent level, although you'd feel, he'll be kept busy!

Really far from certain he will walk into the Crawley side though. They wont know until a day to day comparison is made and I wonder if KP has been brought in to Crawley just to gee up their existing GKs....which isn't really what we want

lowenand
02-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Did this transfer happen?

Neckinger Eagle
02-09-2017, 09:04 AM
I had a look around last night when he didn't appear in the 25. He hasn't appeared in any of Crawley's matchday squads and he's not on their website.

He's not been in our U23 matchday squads either. I did find a Tweet suggesting that he had been sold to Bohemians but there's no mention of him on their website.

He's just vanished. I think we need to get on the batphone to Woosie or Gazza2.

penguin7
02-09-2017, 11:08 AM
I did the same, and after checking Wikipedia, Soccerway, the Crawley website and googling the man himself can find no trace of any transfer.

Nor is there any indication of his registration with us being cancelled.

Which is a little worrying, as from my limited knowledge of the rules I would think he should have been named as the 25th man.

Dawkins' Banana
02-09-2017, 11:27 AM
from my limited knowledge of the rules I would think he should have been named as the 25th man.

That's funny, because you said the exact opposite yesterday,

Kaikai and Perntreou do not need to be included as they both qualify as U21, but I dont know what I am talking about !

penguin7
02-09-2017, 11:38 AM
That's funny, because you said the exact opposite yesterday,

Whoosh

MFBias
02-09-2017, 11:42 AM
Whoosh

Nah you got caught out for talking bollox.

Timbo
02-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Anyway, where is KP?

orp pisshead1
02-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Being a youngster he must be on Social media somewhere so that's the best bet to find out what club he's with:p

MFBias
02-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Find Kleton.

Dawkins' Banana
02-09-2017, 05:10 PM
Anyway, where is KP?

Check the Premier League website. He is included there in Palace's named 25-man squad for 2016/17, squad number 40. Typically, Palace just forgot to include him in their official announcement yesterday. And then failed to correct their error. :rolleyes:

Shoreditch CPFC
02-09-2017, 05:16 PM
so what if he was in the 16/17 squad?

Chas
02-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Check the Premier League website. He is included there in Palace's named 25-man squad for 2016/17, squad number 40. Typically, Palace just forgot to include him in their official announcement yesterday. And then failed to correct their error. :rolleyes:

That's all well and good, until you look a little more closely at that squad you cited, and notice that Sahko isn't in it, and Mandanda is!

Nice try, though :p

Woosie
02-09-2017, 06:04 PM
He was released yesterday

hong_kong_hg
02-09-2017, 06:05 PM
lol you couldn't make it up

Gollum
02-09-2017, 06:07 PM

Our 3rd choice keeper was released yesterday ?
How sensible.....

Chas
02-09-2017, 06:13 PM
Source? Other than the fact that we were required to include him in our squad and didn't.

Woosie
02-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Gary Issott told me

desperado
02-09-2017, 06:27 PM

Isn't that what you do with animals and prisoners?

Maybe someone could leave Mutch's cage door open

Jason
02-09-2017, 06:37 PM

Probably reluctantly makes sense. We are absolutely desperate for another striker , and given where we are now that could only be done by releasing someone and trying to get a free agent. Given that he is probably both the cheapest player to let go, and the one least likely to play, the decision probably makes sense

Shipp Ahoy!
02-09-2017, 06:40 PM
In other words, sorry mate but we need someone to go and it's either you for basically nothing or Mutch for a million or two...

All the best!

GreatGonzo
02-09-2017, 06:55 PM

Yesterday or Thursday?

My understanding is that if he was released yesterday rather than Thursday he is now unable to find a new club before January :confused:

Windsor_Eagle
02-09-2017, 06:55 PM
In the event that WH and JS both got injured, does the emergency loan thing kick in for us to bring in a keeper whilst the window is otherwise shut?

Woosie
02-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Yesterday or Thursday?

My understanding is that if he was released yesterday rather than Thursday he is now unable to find a new club before January :confused:

Yesterday. So yes, he cannot find a new club until January

Dion-Curtis Henry is the only U23 goalkeeper we have. There was a trialist on the bench at the last game. He may have signed too potentially. Joe Tupper Former Chelsea and Reading keeper.

Jason
02-09-2017, 07:05 PM
In other words, sorry mate but we need someone to go and it's either you for basically nothing or Mutch for a million or two...

All the best!

Sadly that's about the long and short of it. Hopefully he gets a good club soon. While letting him go is probably the right move business wise, you're right that it doesn't really sit right on an ethical level

Dawkins' Banana
02-09-2017, 07:28 PM
so what if he was in the 16/17 squad?

That's all well and good, until you look a little more closely at that squad you cited, and notice that Sahko isn't in it, and Mandanda is!

Nice try, though :p

My typing error. Premier League website includes Perntreau in our 2017/18 squad, number 40.

But Woosie says he has been released, in which case the Prem League site is wrong.

Palestinian
02-09-2017, 08:09 PM
My typing error. Premier League website includes Perntreau in our 2017/18 squad, number 40.

But Woosie says he has been released, in which case the Prem League site is wrong.
He was on there yesterday but subsequently removed (unless I was seeing things), does that mean as he went yesterday and was on the original list that we can't sign any free agent keepers?

Dawkins' Banana
02-09-2017, 09:03 PM
He was on there yesterday but subsequently removed (unless I was seeing things), does that mean as he went yesterday and was on the original list that we can't sign any free agent keepers?

Just had another look and he's still listed there.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/14144/Kleton-Perntreou/overview

Woosie
02-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Issott used the term "De-registered" so I think he must have been named and then released and de-registered, however that works.

Nth Kent Eagle
02-09-2017, 09:30 PM
Yesterday. So yes, he cannot find a new club until January

Dion-Curtis Henry is the only U23 goalkeeper we have. There was a trialist on the bench at the last game. He may have signed too potentially. Joe Tupper Former Chelsea and Reading keeper.

Nasty behaviour by the club.

Stats74
02-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Premier League list had Hiram Boateng too but I thought he joined Exeter on a free transfer.

Crunchie
02-09-2017, 09:46 PM
Nasty behaviour by the club.

That's just not right :(

Chas
02-09-2017, 09:51 PM
Issott is likely talking about club registration, not squad registration.

Kleton was registered to the club, but not registered as part of the Premier League squad (meaning he could only play in cups).

Now that he is not registered to the club, he can sign for another club. I don't know how the day is "de-registration" comes into effect, but if he was released during the window, he could be registered as a free agent by another PL club. If not, then he definitely can't be registered in the PL, but potentially could still register outside the Football League (such as the National League, which does not have a transfer window).

The actual PL squad registration never included him, or else he would be listed here:
https://www.premierleague.com/news/465277
Once you are registered for the PL, you cannot be "de-registered" for that competition; you can only play for that club until January. This does not apply to Kleton.

Palestinian
02-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Just had another look and he's still listed there.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/14144/Kleton-Perntreou/overview

Oddly not here though (sure was yesterday though)

Chas
02-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Issott is likely talking about club registration, not squad registration.

Kleton was registered to the club, but not registered as part of the Premier League squad (meaning he could only play in cups).

Now that he is not registered to the club, he can sign for another club. I don't know how the day is "de-registration" comes into effect, but if he was released during the window, he could be registered as a free agent by another PL club. If not, then he definitely can't be registered in the PL, but potentially could still register outside the Football League (such as the National League, which does not have a transfer window).

The actual PL squad registration never included him, or else he would be listed here:
Once you are registered for the PL, you cannot be "de-registered" for that competition; you can only play for that club until January. This does not apply to Kleton.

By the way, the emergency loan system was abandoned last season.

Chas
02-09-2017, 10:07 PM
Oddly not here though (sure was yesterday though)

I posted that link in several threads yesterday, and I copied/pasted our section of it. Are you sure you saw his name there? I never did. As far as I'm aware, it always had 24 names on it.

You might be mixing it up with the page that contains the CLUB registrations (not the PL squad registrations). Whoever updates that info probably doesn't know that Kleton isn't with Palace anymore (hell, none of us knew until someone here literally asked a member of the coaching staff).

Palestinian
02-09-2017, 11:18 PM
I posted that link in several threads yesterday, and I copied/pasted our section of it. Are you sure you saw his name there? I never did. As far as I'm aware, it always had 24 names on it.

You might be mixing it up with the page that contains the CLUB registrations (not the PL squad registrations). Whoever updates that info probably doesn't know that Kleton isn't with Palace anymore (hell, none of us knew until someone here literally asked a member of the coaching staff).

No it was definitely that link with that list but with KP's name on it, remember thinking I hope we don't get any injuries (I could of course be wrong, it has got me doubting myself).

aashman12
03-09-2017, 07:36 AM

This is 17/18 season though

Woosie
04-09-2017, 04:29 PM
My interview with Perntreou:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/29760/exclusive-ex-hibs-keeper-perntreou-left-crystal-palace/

"I got told by the club officials that they needed to free up a space in the 25 man squad for a new signing"

jaspercpfc
04-09-2017, 05:37 PM

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/29760/exclusive-ex-hibs-keeper-perntreou-left-crystal-palace/

"I got told by the club officials that they needed to free up a space in the 25 man squad for a new signing"

The club haven't covered themselves in glory. Good luck to the Kleton, really poorly managed and no regard for the player.

RisZero
04-09-2017, 05:37 PM
Complete shambles

gold76
04-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Bit of a rum do, yes he wasn't going to make it here, but surely we could have released him prior to the window closing, allowing him to sign for another club before January

Gregz41
04-09-2017, 05:47 PM

Came across far nicer than he had to given the circumstances.

adrenalin john
04-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Kai
04-09-2017, 05:59 PM
Unbelievable how a Premiership club can act like that. If we'd signed a new keeper or striker they could just leave him but because of their ineptitude had to release him. Absolute shambles

Billyd
04-09-2017, 06:06 PM
Discusting from the club.

Naboo
04-09-2017, 06:06 PM
If he's a free agent he can move outside of the window can't he?

Woosie
04-09-2017, 06:08 PM
If he's a free agent he can move outside of the window can't he?

Was still registered with Palace after the window closed so is stuck here [EFA: unable to play] until January.

Adlerhorst
04-09-2017, 06:11 PM
They can always re-sign him once they have the free agent signed.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
04-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Was still registered with Palace after the window closed so is stuck here until January.

Stuck 'here' as in regietered nowhere but able to train with us?

Pub Idol
04-09-2017, 06:19 PM
Don't understand? Why did he get released? Surely just don't name in the 25?

Woosie
04-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Yep that's what I meant, sorry.

Woosie
04-09-2017, 06:25 PM
Don't understand? Why did he get released? Surely just don't name in the 25?
Because the PL would be unlikely to allow you to sign a free agent if you have a fit over age player who could be named in the 25, who you just chose not to name.

wrightchipvcfc
04-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Think if your over certain age you automatically get put in squad unless club has named 25 and your not one of them if that makes sence

johnnytemper
04-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Came across far nicer than he had to given the circumstances.

TBF i have no idea what money he was on or how long his contract had, but he may well have just received a six figure sum into his bank account, plus free use of facilities and no doubt assistance from the club in finding a new one for later in the year should he want that help, so probably wise to keep things polite.

Though the club has exactly covered itself in glory - stupid situation to end up in regardless (not sure if it'd be worse or better if we're just trying to game the system and intend on re-signing him next week once the mystery free agent shows).

Woosie
04-09-2017, 06:31 PM
TBF i have no idea what money he was on or how long his contract had, but he may well have just received a six figure sum into his bank account, plus free use of facilities and no doubt assistance from the club in finding a new one for later in the year should he want that help, so probably wise to keep things polite.

Though the club has exactly covered itself in glory - stupid situation to end up in regardless (not sure if it'd be worse or better if we're just trying to game the system and intend on re-signing him next week once the mystery free agent shows).

Five-figure sum, which he would have earned over the duration of his contract anyway.

But at his age, given his lack of first-team football thus far, he will want to be playing games or training elsewhere looking to impress a new manager and get an opportunity somewhere. Money isn't the overriding factor but I'm sure it was a little bit of a cushion.

Pat of the Palace
04-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Piss poor. We should be better than this.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
04-09-2017, 06:55 PM

What happens when he gets a serious injury in training? Piss poor situation for any pro to find themselves in due to their previous employers ineptitude.

mushroom
04-09-2017, 07:25 PM
In reality, has he only lost the chance to play in the U23s?

I mean... he has got his wages, and is still allowed to train with Palace... hopefully this will give him the time to find the right club... and maybe even go train with them.

Benzhiyi
04-09-2017, 07:43 PM
Title updated.

GreatGonzo
04-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Five-figure sum, which he would have earned over the duration of his contract anyway.

But at his age, given his lack of first-team football thus far, he will want to be playing games or training elsewhere looking to impress a new manager and get an opportunity somewhere. Money isn't the overriding factor but I'm sure it was a little bit of a cushion.

Only ever played 2 games for Hibs in his career so what level can he sign for? National league south, or does he need to go below that?

€pfc
04-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Bit of a rum do, yes he wasn't going to make it here, but surely we could have released him prior to the window closing, allowing him to sign for another club before January

If he has no contract he can sign for anyone i thought? a bit like we signed flamini last year outside of the window

Billy Rhino
04-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Bit of a mystery player really, been here for quite a while but totally under the radar. Obviously should've been released in the summer but sounds like a storm in a tea cup. If he's any good he will make plenty of money but if he's not then he just joins the rest of us plebs.

GreatGonzo
04-09-2017, 08:20 PM
If he has no contract he can sign for anyone i thought? a bit like we signed flamini last year outside of the window

Nope has to be a free agent before the window closes to sign in this country. Just not sure how far down the pyramid that is an issue.

4 cryingOutloud
04-09-2017, 11:05 PM
Nope has to be a free agent before the window closes to sign in this country. Just not sure how far down the pyramid that is an issue.

Wouldn't that have legal repercussions? How can you stop a person from earning a living? :eek:

Bones14
04-09-2017, 11:16 PM
I'm pretty disgusted by this. Sad situation handled in an appalling way. Wtf is going on that we have to stoop to this level.

Chas
05-09-2017, 12:35 AM
National League no longer has transfer windows, so in theory he could still play there (assuming one of those clubs still needs a keeper).

hughff
05-09-2017, 03:16 AM
While it's disappointing, I think there's been an element of over-reaction here. Essentially, he's been paid out his entire contract, so he's now in a position to look for another club. It's possible that he could get a short term contract at a National League club and actually make more money than if he had stayed at Palace. Alternatively, he can go on trial and find a club that suits him and needs him.

The downside for him is he's not playing and I'm sure that he'd rather be getting games. However, he must know the reality of the business by now - he certainly seemed switched on in the interview. I hope, given his positive attitude at what must be a trying time, that he is able to find another club and get another chance.

I'm sure the club is as disappointed as the fans that it's come to this. Obviously they didn't want to cut him to get in another striker but someone made a mistake and now a price has been paid.

spt1978
05-09-2017, 05:16 AM
"Family club"

Billy Rhino
05-09-2017, 06:35 AM

So he can still sign for a club from some dodgy foreign country, like Scotland?

Billy Rhino
05-09-2017, 06:42 AM
"Family club"

It's a business and a cut throat one at that. Seems like Parish is getting blamed for everything at the moment, one moment he's too sentimental for keeping Delaney and Speroni, next moment he's too harsh for letting go a keeper that most fans haven't even heard of, let alone seen.

Mistakes were made this summer without doubt but this is the right decision made at the wrong time. If we get a decent striker or goalie out of it then it's a good decision.

eagle mart
05-09-2017, 07:04 AM
Never going to play, frees up space for someone else and he can train with us while finding a new club. Doesn't sound that bad to me. Hardly a shambles.

Mr Palace
05-09-2017, 07:32 AM
This is very poor by the club. Leaves a bad feeling.

eagle-leg
05-09-2017, 08:03 AM
Not running a charity. If the club paid up his contract, I do not see the problem.

nicknackpalace
05-09-2017, 08:05 AM
In an interview I read he seemed happy with the situation and spoke very positively about the club.

Mr Palace
05-09-2017, 08:07 AM
Not running a charity. If the club paid up his contract, I do not see the problem.

Leaves him high and dry though doesn't it? For a young lad that must be tough. If it was over the summer it wouldn't have been a problem but now the window is shut he's presumably a bit stuck.

Braders
05-09-2017, 08:07 AM

It is as simple as that.

Billyd
05-09-2017, 08:25 AM
Never going to play, frees up space for someone else and he can train with us while finding a new club. Doesn't sound that bad to me. Hardly a shambles.

Are you joking? The clubs mis management means a young footballer has been released but cannot join another club or play in football matches.

Eaglefoz
05-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Now we have a space free, can we sign another centre back?

Just seen we are apparently interested in signing Sagna as he is a free agent ?????? Made up story hopefully.

BillyTKid
05-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Are you joking? The clubs mis management means a young footballer has been released but cannot join another club or play in football matches.

Why can't he play for our under 23s? We often have trialists playing.

Dan A
05-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Is it actually confirmed that he got released after the transfer deadline?

Maidstoned Eagle
05-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Is it actually confirmed that he got released after the transfer deadline?

Yes, in the article posted by Woosie.

As for the situation, you can guarantee he wasn't on minimum wage, his contract has been paid up so he's got a decent pay off, he can train with the club and can now look for a new club, whilst keeping fit. Not too shabby.

Maidstoned Eagle
05-09-2017, 08:54 AM

With a, possible, 6 figure sum of money in the bank.

WorthingEagle
05-09-2017, 09:05 AM

If we had no intention of him being our third senior keeper we could have released him in June and given him three months to find a new club. Or failing that, released him a day earlier which would put him near the top of free agent keepers for League clubs to approach if they get an injury. It might all turn out ok for him but this is surely the worst of all outcomes which were fully within our control.

Billyd
05-09-2017, 09:25 AM

So?

The lad wants to play football.

St.AlbansEagle
05-09-2017, 09:36 AM
So who are we actually going to sign then?!?!?!

aj4england
05-09-2017, 09:40 AM
So?

And has 20 years to do so, regardless of what level he reaches, palace may be the highest he ever was and a 6 figure pay off may set him up for life. Cutthroat industry.

Calmc
05-09-2017, 09:56 AM
I dont get it, Everyone on here crying that we have failed to bring in a striker or someone to push flappy handed WH? Yes what we done to this kid is beyond a joke and is unfair, but at the end of the day, if we can get for me a striker over another keeper to actually have a back up for when CB is injured and to push him a little bit this had to be done!

DARZET EAGLE
05-09-2017, 10:00 AM
It's a business and a cut throat one at that. Seems like Parish is getting blamed for everything at the moment, one moment he's too sentimental for keeping Delaney and Speroni, next moment he's too harsh for letting go a keeper that most fans haven't even heard of, let alone seen.

Mistakes were made this summer without doubt but this is the right decision made at the wrong time. If we get a decent striker or goalie out of it then it's a good decision.

Spot on Bill. Sadly Football is indeed now a cut throat business. I blame it all on Johnny Haynes.;)

steve hail
05-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Under the circumstances, this was inevitable. And given the attempts to sign players before the deadline, in which case he could have been retained but not picked for the 25, it could not have been foreseen. I am sure he has been treated fairly and think it harsh to blame anyone. Good luck to him for the future. Let's hope he has a great career.

Maidstoned Eagle
05-09-2017, 11:28 AM
So?

6 figure sum doesn't cushion the blow?

Woosie
05-09-2017, 11:35 AM
6 figure sum doesn't cushion the blow?
It isn't a 6 figure sum

Kai
05-09-2017, 11:37 AM
So who are we actually going to sign then?!?!?!

Another Central defender??

Benzhiyi
05-09-2017, 01:54 PM
He certainly isn't suddenly set up for life. A few months, maybe.

Adlerhorst
05-09-2017, 02:00 PM
The only angle to fault the club on here is if his release was after the point in time which means he cannot play for another team before January.

Other than that he's over 21 and therefore with the rules as they are is in danger of something like this happening. His contract has been paid up (in full I imagine)

BillyTKid
05-09-2017, 02:04 PM
The only angle to fault the club on here is if his release was after the point in time which means he cannot play for another team before January.

Other than that he's over 21 and therefore with the rules as they are is in danger of something like this happening. His contract has been paid up (in full I imagine)

Does it change anything in practice though? He is still getting fully paid, is training with Palace and presumably can play for the U23s given we have trialists that play. If anything he is better off as he has the flexibility to sign for another team if he wants.

Bones14
05-09-2017, 02:04 PM
I get the business bit and freeing up space, but the club could really of done this 6 weeks ago and given the bloke a chance to find and acclimatize to a new club. They've railroaded him as he's a soft target.
If the club had any balls then they'd do the same with Mutch and Sako FFS.
Duty of care is obviously not big on the family clubs agenda anymore.
Good luck to the lad, hopefully he'll find the right club and make strides into being a solid keeper.
Mighten be a popular post but feel we're losing a bit of our identity by doing things like this. It's the timing of the decision, not the actual 'we're letting you go because you're not good enough' bit.

MFBias
05-09-2017, 02:46 PM
I get the business bit and freeing up space, but the club could really of done this 6 weeks ago and given the bloke a chance to find and acclimatize to a new club. They've railroaded him as he's a soft target.
If the club had any balls then they'd do the same with Mutch and Sako FFS.
Duty of care is obviously not big on the family clubs agenda anymore.
Good luck to the lad, hopefully he'll find the right club and make strides into being a solid keeper.
Mighten be a popular post but feel we're losing a bit of our identity by doing things like this. It's the timing of the decision, not the actual 'we're letting you go because you're not good enough' bit.

'Losing a bit of our identity' is becoming abit standard swipe at the club now. Although I see it as poor form what we have done to the player, it was a business decision and one that is looking at the club as a whole.

To suggest we should have sacked Mutch or Sako instead is just ignoring the large contract we would have to pay out and unfortuately these teo may appear in the first team.

Pinkie Brown
05-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Just another small cock up in the sea of incompetence that this summer has become.

jimos_uk
05-09-2017, 04:23 PM
Regardless of anything, he handled himself very well and I wish him the best.

Woosie can correct, but I always had the feeling he was a 'fill a gap' signing rather than a potential first teamer for us. Almost always sad when a young player is released, though, even if they have a few quid in their pocket.

Woosie
05-09-2017, 04:53 PM
Yeah he was never likely to be a first-team goalkeeper. Palace's strategy academy wise doesn't make much sense to me from the outside looking in (albeit with some knowledge of its inner workings)

For instance; you've got Matt Funnell and Oliver Webber who are both second-year scholars in the U18s. They probably played as many games as each other last year. Then you let Perntreou go, but bring in a keeper who was released by Peterborough. Admittedly he is the right build for a keeper, the other two still look young, but why not push them up?

There are, by my reckoning, 24 players eligible for the U18s this season. There were some 23s playing down and several first-years are playing down in the 16s. They should be playing up, not down.

I digress, though.

What has happened to Perntreou is poor. Yes, he's getting paid up but Palace had to A) do that anyway to release him and B) He would have earned that money for the duration of his contract anyway. It just stops him from getting the chance to develop.

Would he have played for our first-team? No, but even so. Understand why the club has done it, but just 24 hours would have made this a relative non-story.

EagleSE24
06-09-2017, 10:53 AM
So has the space been freed up for a third keeper or a second striker?

Adlerhorst
06-09-2017, 10:57 AM
So has the space been freed up for a third keeper or a second striker?

It must be for a striker. Keepers are far less likely to get injured than strikers. We're far far more likely to use a second striker than we are a third keeper. And there is a small possibility of getting an emergency loan for a keeper in the highly unlikely event that both Hennessey and Speroni get injured at the same time. There is zero possibility for a striker.

Away
06-09-2017, 11:26 AM
In an interview I read he seemed happy with the situation and spoke very positively about the club.

Presumably, as an employee, he didn't have to go unless the club made it attractive enough.

Feather
06-09-2017, 12:12 PM
And there is a small possibility of getting an emergency loan for a keeper in the highly unlikely event that both Hennessey and Speroni get injured at the same time.

I'd be mightily miffed if another club was allowed to to this. With multi million budgets I'd be saying it's the clubs own decisions (mismanagement) to only have 2 senior keepers in the 25. You make your bed, you lie in it.

I wonder if the authorities would also take into account this hypothetical club spending ~£25m on a 7th centre-back on deadline day?

jaspercpfc
13-10-2017, 09:15 AM

this hasn't aged well

eagle mart
13-10-2017, 10:18 AM
this hasn't aged well

Not really, he's at welling of conference south and still not first choice..

And would never have played...

FourtyTwo
13-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Except Hennessey is now (supposedly) injured, so we are now left with one keeper.

And no strikers.

You couldn't make it up!

Latvian Eagle
13-10-2017, 11:43 AM
Except Hennessey is now (supposedly) injured, so we are now left with one keeper.

And no strikers.

You couldn't make it up!

We don't have just one keeper. We signed the guy Henry who was at Peterborough. He will no doubt be on the bench.

Although we might as well not have released Kleton seeing as we have done **** all with the free space.

FourtyTwo
13-10-2017, 12:30 PM
We don't have just one keeper. We signed the guy Henry who was at Peterborough. He will no doubt be on the bench.

Although we might as well not have released Kleton seeing as we have done **** all with the free space.

We have Ladapo for the striker slot, but no-one's arguing that we still have a striker!

FMH57
16-10-2017, 09:40 AM
So is Dion Henry the 25th man in the squad , meaning we have no free space now?

ANDI29
16-10-2017, 09:49 AM

Who on earth is Dion Henry?

Oli28
16-10-2017, 09:56 AM
He's played one professional game, ever. And he's our only keeper if anything happens to Jules.

Shipp Ahoy!
16-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Guessing he's an academy keeper? Probably doesn't need to be named in the 25.

Just looked it up, he's from our under 23 team and is 20 - so no he does not need to be named.

MFBias
16-10-2017, 10:21 AM

It takes 10 seconds to write his name into wikipedia to check, possibly longer to write this post... he is 20.

Latvian Eagle
16-10-2017, 10:57 AM

Dion-Curtis Henry.

And he played 4 professional games as he played 3 games in the Football League Trophy or whatever it is called now, plus 60 minutes of a League game for Peterborough.