PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: No signings

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

jolly
06-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Well as it's us and realistically we are similar to spurs talking big and going nowhere/doing nowt
Can we survive/compete ?

Malarkey
06-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Can't believe the transfer window closed yesterday and nobody who works at the club even knew about it.

Amateurish.

Big Blue Eagle
06-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Hmm, so we all dreamed that we signed RLC and Jarno, and the transfer window closed a month early did it?

Maz
06-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Might as well snip up my season ticket.

CPFC.1990
06-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Didn't most people think last season we had an 'amazing' squad and the only reason we under-performed was due to poor management.

In that case, why are people demanding a squad overhaul?

Just leave it to De Boer. He knows more about football than any of you. If he thinks we only need 1 or 2 signings then I trust him.

AJ
06-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Is it possible to sign Jack Shit...again? He must be close to 40 by now :)

GreatGonzo
06-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Just look at all the great deals other mid table clubs have been doing is the last couple of weeks. Look at all the players we are missing out on.

Can the OP be forced to change his name?

orp pisshead1
06-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Might as well snip up my season ticket.

Maz your a very busy person let me help with that season ticket :p

Ps is it in directors box or with players lounge etc? Erm just asking.

jolly
06-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Just look at all the great deals other mid table clubs have been doing is the last couple of weeks. Look at all the players we are missing out on.

Can the OP be forced to change his name?

Nope I'm pissed off and grizzling could a mod delete the thread to save me looking like a worse bellend than I feel at the mo?

thereichstuff
06-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Jolly :supergrin:

GreatGonzo
06-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Nope I'm pissed off and grizzling could a mod delete the thread to save me looking like a worse bellend than I feel at the mo?

Would prefer they change your name to grizzling :D

thereichstuff
06-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Would prefer they change your name to grizzling :D

I think the names ironic :p

palacelad197o
club by club guide here

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2017

https://s2.postimg.org/3r4e9814p/Premier_League_-_Transfers_17_18_Transfermarkt_-.jpg

CharlieCPFC
Parish has said on his instagram something about working on new signings.

de Boer probably wanted time to see what exactly he wanted and time to then identify his exact targets.

We'll probably get another 3 at least through the door in my eyes.

Big Blue Eagle
06-08-2017, 05:46 PM

de Boer probably wanted time to see what exactly he wanted and time to then identify his exact targets.

We'll probably get another 3 at least through the door in my eyes.

De Boer also has to assess the futures of the fringe over age players - Anderson, Ladapo, Inniss, Kai Kai, Williams, Mutch & Lee, plus works out the timeframe for the return of Wickham and Souare, AND see if any U21s merit first team action. So a slower timeframe for signings was inevitable.

sylvan eagle
06-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Well as it's us and realistically we are similar to spurs talking big and going nowhere/doing nowt

Can we survive/compete ?

So we've not signed 2 players then

ebyeeckeagle
06-08-2017, 05:52 PM
club by club guide here

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2017
]

Interesting reading. Plenty of clubs who have done very little. Sky may get some mileage out of the window show this year; suspect it may get quite manic.

GreatGonzo
06-08-2017, 05:54 PM
De Boer also has to assess the futures of the fringe over age players - Anderson, Ladapo, Inniss, Kai Kai, Williams, Mutch & Lee, plus works out the timeframe for the return of Wickham and Souare, AND see if any U21s merit first team action. So a slower timeframe for signings was inevitable.

And I bet you don't wear a nappy to bed either do you?

Can we please avoid sensible reasoned argument. This is the BBS for gods sake!

Big Blue Eagle
06-08-2017, 05:56 PM
And I bet you don't wear a nappy to bed either do you?

Can we please avoid sensible reasoned argument. This is the BBS for gods sake!

:D

4 cryingOutloud
06-08-2017, 06:05 PM
Can we survive/compete ?

Oh FFS!

4 cryingOutloud
06-08-2017, 06:08 PM

You have a mirror?

silver
06-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Is it possible to sign Jack Shit...again? He must be close to 40 by now :)

Mr Palace
06-08-2017, 07:29 PM
Didn't most people think last season we had an 'amazing' squad and the only reason we under-performed was due to poor management.

In that case, why are people demanding a squad overhaul?

Just leave it to De Boer. He knows more about football than any of you. If he thinks we only need 1 or 2 signings then I trust him.

That's very naive of you. Of course FDB doesn't think 2 signings is enough. He wants another 4 at minimum. The club hasn't been able to sign them yet.

I doubt anyone thought we had an amazing squad - it's quite average. I'd be feeling more confident if we were playing the same system as last year. Less so with the new system as we need several players who are suited to it.

Super eagle
06-08-2017, 07:31 PM
You guys are honestly a bunch of c**k's, get a grip and stop being melts, and also stop being a bunch of Nigels. Had enough of this site now.

Mr Palace
06-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Melts

Who says that? Apart from millwall cu*ts

bradpitt
06-08-2017, 07:41 PM
Melts

Who says that? Apart from millwall cu*ts

Contestants on Love island

Joe1905
06-08-2017, 07:57 PM
You judge the transfer window at the end of it

RAB
06-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Football transfers are a bit like a David Attenborough show.

The lions will feast first whilst the hyenas salivate in the long grass. Once the lions have had their fill from the kill and snooze off their feed, the hyenas will descend with stealth on the carcass to strip what is left on the bones.

Palace will need to wait their turn as even amongst the hyenas, there is a pecking order and Palace are still down the list and will be for a while yet.

Mr Palace
06-08-2017, 07:58 PM
Contestants on Love island

CPFC85
06-08-2017, 08:02 PM
You guys are honestly a bunch of c**k's, get a grip and stop being melts, and also stop being a bunch of Nigels. Had enough of this site now.

Pwopper nawty :jerkit:

CPFC85
06-08-2017, 08:03 PM
You have a mirror?

Yes, I expect he does, Ray.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-08-2017, 08:57 PM

The lions will feast first whilst the hyenas salivate in the long grass. Once the lions have had their fill from the kill and snooze off their feed, the hyenas will descend with stealth on the carcass to strip what is left on the bones.

Palace will need to wait their turn as even amongst the hyenas, there is a pecking order and Palace are still down the list and will be for a while yet.

And finally, scavengers like the Seagulls can peck at the testicles right at the end

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Yes, I expect he does, Ray.

Beehive.

GreatGonzo
06-08-2017, 09:02 PM

You having a laugh?

cpfcfan1
06-08-2017, 09:09 PM

CPFC.1990
06-08-2017, 09:46 PM
That's very naive of you. Of course FDB doesn't think 2 signings is enough. He wants another 4 at minimum. The club hasn't been able to sign them yet.

I doubt anyone thought we had an amazing squad - it's quite average. I'd be feeling more confident if we were playing the same system as last year. Less so with the new system as we need several players who are suited to it.

You think a squad including Benteke, Zaha, Luka, Dann, PVA, Cabaye, Puncheon etc is average???

AJ
06-08-2017, 10:01 PM

He has been saying that since June 1st

Mr Palace
06-08-2017, 10:06 PM
You think a squad including Benteke, Zaha, Luka, Dann, PVA, Cabaye, Puncheon etc is average???

Yes. By premier league standards. I don't think we'll finish above 15th with the current squad. 5-6 quality signings and I'd say anything between 8-12th.

GreatGonzo
06-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Yes. By premier league standards. I don't think we'll finish above 15th with the current squad. 5-6 quality signings and I'd say anything between 8-12th.

Think our formation is likely to have more effect than the squad this season. If it works we will finish 8-12 this season, if it doesn't then a relegation battle awaits.

Of course some new players will help but i think not as much as whether the formation works or not.

Ooh Betty
06-08-2017, 10:12 PM
You judge the transfer window at the end of it

Yeah. Who cares about the games in August eh? Points against Huddersfield and Swansea at home don't really matter.

'Let's see where we are on 1st September'

Ffs.

GreatGonzo
06-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Yeah. Who cares about the games in August eh? Points against Huddersfield and Swansea at home don't really matter.

Ffs.

Better off being 50% for 3 games and being 100% the rest of the season than rushing signings and being 90% all season.

Of course the games matter but not to the extent we do bad business.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-08-2017, 10:42 PM

Ffs.

You sound like a child

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
06-08-2017, 10:57 PM

Ffs.

Barring very bad luck with injuries we have a good enough squad to play for 3 games and be very competitive.
If we are poor in those three matches it will be down to the performance of the team we put out not the fact we still need to recruit a few more players.

Ooh Betty
06-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Better off being 50% for 3 games and being 100% the rest of the season than rushing signings and being 90% all season.

Of course the games matter but not to the extent we do bad business.

Rushing ?

Pmsl.

Ooh Betty
06-08-2017, 11:36 PM
Barring very bad luck with injuries we have a good enough squad to play for 3 games and be very competitive.
If we are poor in those three matches it will be down to the performance of the team we put out not the fact we still need to recruit a few more players.

Did you see our bench on Saturday?

Ooh Betty
06-08-2017, 11:37 PM
You sound like a child

Do you remember any of the previous seasons ?

Vince Hilaire's Afro
06-08-2017, 11:43 PM
Do you remember any of the previous seasons ?

Yes. Every season we have people stamping their feet like spoilt little children due to their inability to grasp the complicated concept of multi million pound football transfers involving multiple players from multiple clubs which culminate on a day that happens to not coincide with the first day of the season.

Boo ******* hoo

Ooh Betty
07-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Yes. Every season we have people stamping their feet like spoilt little children due to their inability to grasp the complicated concept of multi million pound football transfers involving multiple players from multiple clubs which culminate on a day that happens to not coincide with the first day of the season.

Boo ******* hoo

Yes. Some people have failed to grasp the complexities of going into every season with a threadbare squad and then having a big panic in January.

We were right royally shafted with PVA and Schlupp last season. Still, you obviously have a far better understanding than the rest of us. Well done.

Mr Palace
07-08-2017, 08:10 AM
PvA and Schlupp were excellent signings - both played a big part in keeping us up.

But I agree we always end up in the same position come January as we don't do what's required in the summer.

Maidstoned Eagle
07-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Is this the "spoilt brat" thread?

Maidstoned Eagle
07-08-2017, 08:15 AM

'it the Rory, it's the gavvers!

GreatGonzo
07-08-2017, 08:18 AM
Rushing ?

Pmsl.

Sorry i have just seen your join date.

You are new to football and don't understand how the transfer window works, apologies for not realising this earlier.

Just sit back and it will all work itself out this month. You are worrying at least 3 weeks early.

Maidstoned Eagle
07-08-2017, 08:21 AM

You are new to football and don't understand how the transfer window works, apologies for not realising this earlier.

Just sit back and it will all work itself out this month. You are worrying at least 3 weeks early.

If we dont sign anyone by the end of August I will thcweam and thcweam until I am sthick!

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Yes. Some people have failed to grasp the complexities of going into every season with a threadbare squad and then having a big panic in January.

We were right royally shafted with PVA and Schlupp last season. Still, you obviously have a far better understanding than the rest of us. Well done.

It's not really about what you, or I, know about who we're trying to sign or will sign - is it?

But hell, maybe you're right. Crystal Palace should sign every player they need, at whatever price, so that we don't have to wait for them to sign or be sold by their club, and ensure we have two great players in every position, in case there are injuries. That way, we will hardly lose any games and probably end up in Europe.

Thank you for showing me the light. Why is it the club can't realise your insightful plan?

Ooh Betty
07-08-2017, 08:26 AM

Yes new to football. Only been going for 45 years.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Ooh Betty
07-08-2017, 08:28 AM
It's not really about what you, or I, know about who we're trying to sign or will sign - is it?

But hell, maybe you're right. Crystal Palace should sign every player they need, at whatever price, so that we don't have to wait for them to sign or be sold by their club, and ensure we have two great players in every position, in case there are injuries. That way, we will hardly lose any games and probably end up in Europe.

Thank you for showing me the light. Why is it the club can't realise your insightful plan?

My pleasure.

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-08-2017, 08:28 AM
PvA and Schlupp were excellent signings - both played a big part in keeping us up.

But I agree we always end up in the same position come January as we don't do what's required in the summer.

What's more astonishing is that there are loads of clubs who buy players in January. Why is it that they, like Palace, don't copy the immensely rich clubs like Man City and Chelsea in buying every player they could possibly need, at whatever price in the summer? Surely everyone can see this is they way to succeed?

scro
07-08-2017, 08:31 AM
I think the situation as it stands is a concern. Not belly aching and what will be will be. However a formation and style change on the back of a new manager with only two youngsters signed (from a position of barely struggling out of trouble with a squad that lacks depth).

To me it could easily go badly wrong. I generally start pessimistic though but I would far rather see some players in that start making the FDB revolution look a more realistic prospect. I am sure there will be additions before the window shuts and there is a big gap between that and the Burnley game to bed them in. The concern of course is our first two home games are huge ones in the context of surviving the drop.

FWIW i also think the way some players have been reported as being imminent then not materialising adds to fan anxiety. Clearly this is not the clubs fault though.

Let's get to the close of the window with 6 points and 3 more signings and really feel confident of an anxiety free season!

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-08-2017, 08:32 AM
My pleasure.

No no, go into detail. Tell us who we've not signed, but should have by now. Tell us who we're in for, and why they've not signed. Tell us how much it all costs. Tell us what on your mind constitutes a 'threadbare' (not imperfect, but 'threadbare' squad. The world awaits to hear the knowledge of your 40 plus years on how to run a successful PL club

scro
07-08-2017, 08:36 AM
FWIW i think the transfer deadline and the start of the season should be the same time.

Ooh Betty
07-08-2017, 08:38 AM
No no, go into detail. Tell us who we've not signed, but should have by now. Tell us who we're in for, and why they've not signed. Tell us how much it all costs. Tell us what on your mind constitutes a 'threadbare' (not imperfect, but 'threadbare' squad. The world awaits to hear the knowledge of your 40 plus years on how to run a successful PL club

Maz
07-08-2017, 08:48 AM

Repped!

sylvan eagle
07-08-2017, 08:51 AM

Ffs.

Every point matters, dope

Ooh Betty
07-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Every point matters, dope

You never heard of sarcasm?

Maidstoned Eagle
07-08-2017, 09:22 AM

Are all your posts "sarcastic" then? That explains a lot. :p

GreatGonzo
07-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Yes new to football. Only been going for 45 years.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Then i am surprised you do not know the majority of signings happen in August, almost half in the final week and the biggest daily volume on deadline day. It has been this way since windows came in.

Very few deals have been done a what look like reasonable fees so far this summer. The mid level PL teams have done very little business so far.

So stick the toys back in the pram.

GreatGonzo
07-08-2017, 09:30 AM
I think the situation as it stands is a concern. Not belly aching and what will be will be. However a formation and style change on the back of a new manager with only two youngsters signed (from a position of barely struggling out of trouble with a squad that lacks depth).

On Saturday those 'two youngsters' were about our best players certain our best defender and best midfielder. JAT

GreatGonzo
07-08-2017, 09:30 AM
FWIW i think the transfer deadline and the start of the season should be the same time.

Yup, every year that is pretty much the consensus of just about everybody - except UEFA and the various European associations

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-08-2017, 09:36 AM

Are you being sarcastic to people who don't realise that it's better to get players in before the season starts? Because I don't think anyone thinks that.

But unlike yourself, some people realise that for whatever reason, the transfer window ends after the season starts, and players and their agents often wait until the very last minute to get themselves the best deal.

This makes many deals complicated. Some deals are contingent on the club waiting to see if their own player is going to be sold before they can buy his replacement - and the buying club is waiting on the same kind of decision with their own players. Sometimes the deal is agreed, but the player is waiting to see what else he's offered. And the dominoes don't fall until something happens. Can you guess when that is? And here's the absolutely crazy part - for all their intentions, however well planned, sometimes the club doesn't get what they wanted, and just have to deal with it.

Can you imagine that? Not getting what you want? Having to make the most of it? Crazy shit

Ooh Betty
07-08-2017, 10:00 AM
Are you being sarcastic to people who don't realise that it's better to get players in before the season starts? Because I don't think anyone thinks that.

But unlike yourself, some people realise that for whatever reason, the transfer window ends after the season starts, and players and their agents often wait until the very last minute to get themselves the best deal.

This makes many deals complicated. Some deals are contingent on the club waiting to see if their own player is going to be sold before they can buy his replacement - and the buying club is waiting on the same kind of decision with their own players. Sometimes the deal is agreed, but the player is waiting to see what else he's offered. And the dominoes don't fall until something happens. Can you guess when that is? And here's the absolutely crazy part - for all their intentions, however well planned, sometimes the club doesn't get what they wanted, and just have to deal with it.

Can you imagine that? Not getting what you want? Having to make the most of it? Crazy shit

You really are a terminal bore.

Maz
07-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Are all your posts "sarcastic" then? That explains a lot. :p

He's only been on the BBS for a month.

Apparently.

scro
07-08-2017, 10:04 AM
On Saturday those 'two youngsters' were about our best players certain our best defender and best midfielder. JAT

Not doubting that. They will be decent in my humble opinion, it could however take them a while to settle into things (especially the dutch lad). I just worry about such a shift in approach on the back of what was about as poor a season as it's possible to get without getting relegated. It feels like a big ask at this time with limited squad improvement.

So whilst I get why the usual faces on here hate it when people act spoiled when the club doesn't splash that much cash. I do think it is possible the plan (nicer football in a new formation) requires more spending than we are likely to do.

I think we will need to finish higher up the shit league this year. The top 6/7 seem to be moving further from the rest of us and so I think there will be less miraculous points to be had. Especially with a less pragmatic approach.

Maidstoned Eagle
07-08-2017, 10:04 AM

He speaks truthfully though....you don't like it because he's right. ;)

Vince Hilaire's Afro
07-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Thanks for setting me straight.

Maidstoned Eagle
07-08-2017, 10:12 AM

Stop it, you're boring me now.

Maz
07-08-2017, 10:16 AM
Stop it, you're boring me now.

Ever heard of sarcasm?

AJ
07-08-2017, 10:19 AM
I think Parrish has said in the past that there are better deals closer to the transfer window close day, which I believe is true. It just means you are gambling with your first few games if you wait.

GreatGonzo
07-08-2017, 10:21 AM
I think we will need to finish higher up the shit league this year. The top 6/7 seem to be moving further from the rest of us and so I think there will be less miraculous points to be had. Especially with a less pragmatic approach.

We still need to finish 17th, like we have had to in each of the last 4 years.

I worry less about the top 6 or 7 and more about the bottom 10. We need to be picking up points regularly against them.

Points against teams in the bottom half do count more for us because it is not just points we get, but ones they do not.

We scored just 21 points from the 18 games against the other teams in the bottom half last year i think - that can and must improve.

scro
07-08-2017, 10:22 AM
I think Parrish has said in the past that there are better deals closer to the transfer window close day, which I believe is true. It just means you are gambling with your first few games if you wait.

You just have to hope we have enough to get the two wins at home we realistically need to target in august.

Chris Finch
07-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Financing the build of the Fanzone has probably been our number 1 priority

scro
07-08-2017, 10:26 AM
We still need to finish 17th, like we have had to in each of the last 4 years.

I worry less about the top 6 or 7 and more about the bottom 10. We need to be picking up points regularly against them.

Points against teams in the bottom half do count more for us because it is not just points we get, but ones they do not.

We scored just 21 points from the 18 games against the other teams in the bottom half last year i think - that can and must improve.

That was entirely my point!! :D.... but thanks for reiterating it.

We need more points against the teams around us.. I would imagine especially at home. So it stands to reason the first two home games are massive despite the fact that they are so early in the campaign.

Maidstoned Eagle
07-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Ever heard of sarcasm?

Are you being sarcastic?

Maidstoned Eagle
07-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Financing the build of the Fanzone has probably been our number 1 priority

*sigh*

GreatGonzo
07-08-2017, 10:48 AM
That was entirely my point!! :D.... but thanks for reiterating it.

We need more points against the teams around us.. I would imagine especially at home. So it stands to reason the first two home games are massive despite the fact that they are so early in the campaign.

Which were more Pardew games than Allardyce ones.

Last season we played a lot of the bigger teams at home in the first half of the season and lower teams away. I was not overly surprised at our low points tally when Pardew went because of that.

The second half of the season i felt we would pick up more points with his style of play because we were pretty good at winning the games, especially at home against lower opposition. That we will never find out but with De Boer we have a similar experiment.

I would expect at least 8 points from the first 8 games this season, and looking at it that is 3 points from Swansea and Huddersfield and points away at Burnley and home to Southampton. (Given we play 4 of the likely top 6 in that spell that would be a reasonable return.)

I think we have enough in the 1st team to get the 2 home wins, as long as we don't pick up key injuries.

The end of October through to Christmas will be the key period for us. By that time any signings we make will have had plenty of time to bed in, Wickham may or may not be back for that period too giving us greater options up front.

Maz
07-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Are you being sarcastic?

scro
07-08-2017, 11:50 AM
Which were more Pardew games than Allardyce ones.

Last season we played a lot of the bigger teams at home in the first half of the season and lower teams away. I was not overly surprised at our low points tally when Pardew went because of that.

The second half of the season i felt we would pick up more points with his style of play because we were pretty good at winning the games, especially at home against lower opposition. That we will never find out but with De Boer we have a similar experiment.

I would expect at least 8 points from the first 8 games this season, and looking at it that is 3 points from Swansea and Huddersfield and points away at Burnley and home to Southampton. (Given we play 4 of the likely top 6 in that spell that would be a reasonable return.)

I think we have enough in the 1st team to get the 2 home wins, as long as we don't pick up key injuries.

The end of October through to Christmas will be the key period for us. By that time any signings we make will have had plenty of time to bed in, Wickham may or may not be back for that period too giving us greater options up front.

I feel deeply unnerved agreeing with almost everything you say about the coming season. The Pardew stuff i am less sure about but there seems little to be gained from thinking about that too much.

I hope we make it through to september in good shape both from the two very key games and in terms of strengthening what i consider to be a fairly weak squad in terms of depth.

elgin eagle
09-08-2017, 02:34 PM
Seems like we will be starting the season with what we have, barring some revelation in the next day or two. Not worried as long as Benteke doesnt get a knock, but have we ever been so light up front in terms of strikers? Even in the admin days we had 2 or 3, albeit of a much lower quality. Have the yanks turned off the taps?

Super eagle
09-08-2017, 02:35 PM
You Nigels. You lot are so sad it's painful

Kosowski
09-08-2017, 03:58 PM
It's been a poor window so far, it's that simple. Any fool can see we need at least 3 more players. How we are going into a new season with one striker and a keeper we know isn't good enough is beyond me.

GreatGonzo
09-08-2017, 04:02 PM
It's been a poor window so far, it's that simple. Any fool can see we need at least 3 more players. How we are going into a new season with one striker and a keeper we know isn't good enough is beyond me.

We always need at least 3 more players between 1 and 31 August, this year is nothing new.

Last season we did not have a single striker at the club who had scored regularly in the PL at this point.

PALACEWU
09-08-2017, 04:08 PM

It's a shame when respected posters lose their shit.

PALACEWU
09-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Obviously am joking but only a little, there is no patience in this day and age.

elgin eagle
09-08-2017, 04:16 PM

Hmm. Not sure it can be described as a poor window so far tbh. We have signed 3 exciting young players. Usually we have at least 2 strikers on the books by now though.

Kosowski
09-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Hmm. Not sure it can be described as a poor window so far tbh. We have signed 3 exciting young players. Usually we have at least 2 strikers on the books by now though.

Two of which are on loan with no suggestion of an option to purchase.

It's not so much impatience - used to this with Palace - but it worries nonetheless. If Benteke gets injured we are up shit creek.

smoll
09-08-2017, 06:03 PM
If we don't sign a keeper and a striker by end of August it will be on a par with Pardew not signing a lb and a defensive midfielder. We all knew we needed them, Pardew obviously didn't and we all know how that turned out

elgin eagle
09-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Two of which are on loan with no suggestion of an option to purchase.

It's not so much impatience - used to this with Palace - but it worries nonetheless. If Benteke gets injured we are up shit creek.

True. We are. If it happened tomorrow or Friday it would be a makeshift striker like Schlupp, Delaney, Sako or Wilf. Pretty worrying with a half decent start in terms of the fixtures. Obviously he may not get injured and may well deliver, but it does seem very risky.

Less worried about the loans though, both are excellent players we will have all season. Ditto the keeper situation. Rather wait than sign a clown like Adrian.

mb23
09-08-2017, 06:27 PM
If we don't sign a keeper and a striker by end of August it will be on a par with Pardew not signing a lb and a defensive midfielder. We all knew we needed them, Pardew obviously didn't and we all know how that turned out

Not worried in the slightest at the moment. It's vital get these two signings right, so if it means waiting a couple of weeks then I'm fine with that.

But if they don't come then I'll be worried, and will be just as critical as I was with Pardew about our LB situation last summer.

Payroll Legend
09-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Not worried in the slightest at the moment. It's vital get these two signings right, so if it means waiting a couple of weeks then I'm fine with that.

But if they don't come then I'll be worried, and will be just as critical as I was with Pardew about our LB situation last summer.

That'll show em

brighton_eagle
09-08-2017, 06:35 PM
You Nigels. You lot are so sad it's painful

Thanks for sharing.

AJ
09-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Depends on the spin you put on the signings. We have brought in 3 players all categorized as under 21 with about 100 league games combined of which only 30 in the Premier league and only 1 (ONE) is a permanent signing. I am not unhappy with any of those 3, but it is certainly a huge risk if we are banking our season on them. Add to that the deficiencies in the goalkeeper and striker areas. I am also disappointed that we haven't shifted Mutch, Lee, Lapado and maybe one of Delaney or Kelly. Yes, there are still 2 weeks of the window left, but our season starts in less than 72 hours.

theCoach
09-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Recruiting to the 18-25 places in the squad ain't easy.
We've lost
Mandana nobody yet
Fryers. Contributed zip we have cover
Ledley. Loftus cheek
Appia. Contributed zip lokila ?
Sakho. Jairo
Campbell. Needs replacing
Remy. contributed zip. Ladapo as 4th striker ?

We will get a new match day keeper but unlikely one to replace Hennessy.
We will get a match day centre back

How we attract central strikers to join us of note though will be incredibly difficult unless they are virtually guaranteed one of the births alongside wilf and benteke.............hoping for a knock down van persie and news that Wickham will be back in the fold and whom will be an important player for us this coming season

exiledeagle
09-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Read a comment from someone on Holmesdale saying we have got 2 loans in and one permanent .The 2 loan signings were basically bit part players at Chelsea and Man Utd and the permanent was just a squad player last season with Ajax . Has he a point ? ( personally I am happy with all 3 as long as we do get a bit of experience in as well )

thereichstuff
09-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Read a comment from someone on Holmesdale saying we have got 2 loans in and one permanent .The 2 loan signings were basically bit part players at Chelsea and Man Utd and the permanent was just a squad player last season with Ajax . Has he a point ? ( personally I am happy with all 3 as long as we do get a bit of e4xperience in as well )

Was it bexleydave ?

Gyro1780
09-08-2017, 08:03 PM
A little disappointed we haven't been able to get a couple more deals done but not too worried as i trust the club know what they're doing.
I will judge at the end of the month when hopefully 2-3 more will be done.

brighton_eagle
09-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Read a comment from someone on Holmesdale saying we have got 2 loans in and one permanent .The 2 loan signings were basically bit part players at Chelsea and Man Utd and the permanent was just a squad player last season with Ajax . Has he a point ? ( personally I am happy with all 3 as long as we do get a bit of e4xperience in as well )

Bit players? The two loanees are both highly thought of young players who can't currently break into their star filled parent club's first 11.

exiledeagle
09-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Was it bexleydave ?

not sure !

GreatGonzo
09-08-2017, 08:13 PM

Yeah he has a point.

We signed on loan a young bit part player from the team who bossed the most competitive league in the world.

We signed on loan a young bit part player from a team that won the Europa league last season.

We signed permanently a young player from a team that were runners up in the Europa final last season.

Its probably not good enough if we are a team trying to win the title and win European trophies.

orpingtoneagle
09-08-2017, 08:18 PM
Happy with the 3 signings so far added to that happy that we have kept our best players - that is a plus Wilf, Cabaye etc. (at least kept them so far). That's all positive, but we all know we need more striker options and a better keeper

britabroad
09-08-2017, 08:27 PM
The expectation of landing top notch signings all in one window is a little strange. It is about progression. The players we sign now will improve us and hopefully give us a steady season to build on even further next season. Also, which many have forgotten, we bought many players over the past 4 seasons (quantity over quality) - hoping that they would be just good enough to keep us up - until we progressed to level we are now. These players contracts are starting to end and they will be replaced with better players over the coming seasons. Evolution.
This is a scenario that clubs like Burnley, Bournemouth, Watford, etc. and the newly promoted teams (if they stay up) will all face over the coming years.

bourne man
09-08-2017, 08:36 PM
As always we are looking for value, and the best value is found close to the window shutting
Every summer it's the same and rarely do we fail to land quality in the positions we need
PATIENCE PLEASE

The Vicar
10-08-2017, 01:17 AM
Thrilled about Wilf's extension, good loan signings, and Riedewald.

Surprised no movement on a keeper, forward, or RWB/RCB (depending on who plays where).

Like the versatility and potential in our one permanent signing, and the loans. And hopeful about DeBoer.

But...we have lost players, are apparently changing our system and style, and only spent about 8 million in transfer fees? And the season starts in 3 days?

Who plays up front if Benteke is injured? And we need a better keeper.

gold76
10-08-2017, 06:58 AM
It was always going to be evolution rather than revolution this summer.

Getting rid of the bid part players, CYL, Sako and Mutch will be difficult due to them not getting such generous deals elsewhere

Tim
10-08-2017, 07:14 AM
As always we are looking for value, and the best value is found close to the window shutting
Every summer it's the same and rarely do we fail to land quality in the positions we need
PATIENCE PLEASE

Really? What like last seasons summer transfer window? Even Parish has admitted we didn't do enough. We had one recognised left back & when he got injured all we had was a league 1 standard player as back up. Now it looks like we're making the same mistake again with our one & only striker.

Drive carefully CB!

henryhallandhisbasque
10-08-2017, 07:43 AM
Spending so much in January hasn't helped. Surely there has to be some sensible limit on what a club like ours pays out on new players in the space of about eight months? As fans we are all guilty of expecting/demanding to see new additions coming in but at what price? It's £10m to £15m for 'average' Premier League players nowadays. Quality ones? £20m plus? All well and good if your team survives, but if not, potentially the road to ruin when you're back in The Championship with a diminishing chance of getting back to the Premier League again if you miss out first attempt.

Martin H
10-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Spending so much in January hasn't helped. Surely there has to be some sensible limit on what a club like ours pays out on new players in the space of about eight months? As fans we are all guilty of expecting/demanding to see new additions coming in but at what price? It's £10 to £15m for 'average' Premiership players nowadays. Quality ones? £20m plus? All well and good if your team survives, but if not, potentially the road to ruin when you're back in The Championship with a diminishing chance of getting back to the Premier League again if you miss out first attempt.

I agree. The quality of the players that we have added is excellent but with a lot of contracts expiring we still have work to do. If there really is a tight budget constraint then it could be tricky :)

Tim
10-08-2017, 07:58 AM
Spending so much in January hasn't helped. Surely there has to be some sensible limit on what a club like ours pays out on new players in the space of about eight months? As fans we are all guilty of expecting/demanding to see new additions coming in but at what price? It's £10m to £15m for 'average' Premier League players nowadays. Quality ones? £20m plus? All well and good if your team survives, but if not, potentially the road to ruin when you're back in The Championship with a diminishing chance of getting back to the Premier League again if you miss out first attempt.

On Sky yesterday they were saying that the average cost of a Prem player is £19 mil in this transfer window. The Neymar deal has wider consequences for all of us. Dortmund now want £135 mil for Dembele & they only paid £13 mil for him last summer.

The reason we spent so much in Jan was because we didn't address positions of need in the summer. Either we're skint or just not learning from previous mistakes?

Maidstoned Eagle
10-08-2017, 08:04 AM
It is concerning that the obvious areas needing strenghtening have not been addressed yet, one presumes that there is a very good reason for this.....

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Recruiting to the 18-25 places in the squad ain't easy.
We've lost
Mandana nobody yet
Fryers. Contributed zip we have cover
Ledley. Loftus cheek
Appia. Contributed zip lokila ?
Sakho. Jairo
Campbell. Needs replacing
Remy. contributed zip. Ladapo as 4th striker ?

We will get a new match day keeper but unlikely one to replace Hennessy.
We will get a match day centre back

How we attract central strikers to join us of note though will be incredibly difficult unless they are virtually guaranteed one of the births alongside wilf and benteke.............hoping for a knock down van persie and news that Wickham will be back in the fold and whom will be an important player for us this coming season

Why is it that virtually every other club in the league has strength in depth up front when they know they won't all play? It's a squad game and you need competition for all places. It's not healthy to have one for striker. Bournemouth have four, even Watford have Deeney, Gray, Okaku(?) and that new £12m Brazilian who is very highly rated (Ricarlison?).

We need striking options desperately. I'm amazed we haven't sorted this yet - I know Remy and Campbell added nothing last season but we got lucky. Can't rely on that again necessarily.

GreatGonzo
10-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Why is it that virtually every other club in the league has strength in depth up front when they know they won't all play? It's a squad game and you need competition for all places. It's not healthy to have one for striker. Bournemouth have four, even Watford have Deeney, Gray, Okaku(?) and that new £12m Brazilian who is very highly rated (Ricarlison?).

We need striking options desperately. I'm amazed we haven't sorted this yet - I know Remy and Campbell added nothing last season but we got lucky. Can't rely on that again necessarily.

Both Benteke and Remy came in late August last year. Up to that point we only had Wickham and Campbell.

We are in a better position this year than last because we have a quality striker to start the 1st game.

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Both Benteke and Remy came in late August last year. Up to that point we only had Wickham and Campbell.

We are in a better position this year than last because we have a quality striker to start the 1st game.

You should do PR for palace mate! Or the North Koreans. :-)

I get what you're saying but we are one more season on in the PL and we shouldn't have one fit senior striker two days out from the start of the season. You can't tell me that is good planning. Why is it that Watford for example have significantly strengthened their forward line and we haven't?

One injury to Benteke and we're in big trouble. Poor from the club on this one, as they have been poor on sorting the keeper problem.

Nth Kent Eagle
10-08-2017, 08:39 AM
At the moment we have a good starting line up but lack depth. If we don't strengthen before the end of the month we will be in deep trouble because we will pick up injuries and suspensions. You just have to trust Mr Parish and Mr Alexander to get bodies over the line before the end of the month.

elgin eagle
10-08-2017, 09:11 AM
At the moment we have a good starting line up but lack depth. If we don't strengthen before the end of the month we will be in deep trouble because we will pick up injuries and suspensions.

Reminds me of my fantasy football side. Which I suppose with our finite budget it isn't that dissimilar. In season 13/14 we had a big squad that was low on overall quality, now we have a smaller squad with technically better players. We just have one Benteke and one Wickham, instead of many Dobbies and Phillipses.

Nigelbrag
10-08-2017, 09:22 AM
I just cant believe some on here are so oblivious to the fact that an additional striker should be a High Priority, should Benteke get injured in training for example and that could easily happen, we are then left with Anderson and Ladappo is that acceptable? when the reality is these guys could not establish a regular spot at clubs in Division 1 whilst on loan last season.
It is not to say that the club is not intending to bring one in, but it should have been the highest priority for obvious reasons when FdB took over as it was so clear to see even to a non supporter. What annoys me when thinking we let Andre Gray slip away, he is a striker that could have played a dual striker role either alongside Benteke or behind perfectly if we chose to do so, or if used as lone striker due to his extra mobility, good movement and speed much needed in our new system, another alternative is in a Front Three with Zaha and CB to make them a potent trio and a genuine goal threat.

GreatGonzo
10-08-2017, 09:25 AM
I just cant believe some on here are so oblivious to the fact that an additional striker should be a High Priority, should Benteke get injured in training for example and that could easily happen, we are then left with Anderson and Ladappo is that acceptable? when the reality is these guys could not establish a regular spot at clubs in Division 1 whilst on loan last season.
It is not to say that the club is not intending to bring one in, but it should have been the highest priority for obvious reasons when FdB took over as it was so clear to see even to a non supporter. What annoys me when thinking we let Andre Gray slip away, he is a striker that could have played a dual striker role either alongside Benteke or behind perfectly if we chose to do so, or if used as lone striker due to his extra mobility, good movement and speed much needed in our new system, another alternative is in a Front Three with Zaha and CB to make them a potent trio and a genuine goal threat.

Which striker who has moved this summer should we have bought for the fee that was paid for them?

Ooh Betty
10-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Which striker who has moved this summer should we have bought for the fee that was paid for them?

:S:

Kai
10-08-2017, 09:29 AM
I find it incredible that we've knew we needed a new goalie and two back up strikers all summer long and we've managed to do f**k all about it!

Marki
10-08-2017, 09:34 AM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandro_Ram%C3%ADrez ?

nash84
10-08-2017, 09:34 AM

It makes me laugh how fans say we should have bought Gray or Van Persie etc etc.

first, the player will want to move to your location, your club. they will want to ensure they will be playing (unless they are paid obscene money to sit on the bench) - I dont think we will play 442 nor have Andre Gray ahead of Benteke.

then there is the fee, wage expectations etc etc.

then there is whether the players work ethic, attitude, behaviour match the clubs expectations.

only in the case where you are desperate do you then just throw money at it.

look at the Brighton bid for Izquierda for example....they are desperate for talent, agent calls them and says....I know your team is shit, I have a player at brugge who will come to you despite not knowing who you are. give the club 18 million, the player 60k per week and a DVD of the clubs history, then meet me in a restaurant in Brugge this evening so we can send a false message of hope to your fans that you will stay up with a division one player with a fancy name.

Owngoal
10-08-2017, 09:46 AM
:S:

Can't stand a pertinent comment. Assume that you are a previously banned poster with no useful comment to make?

AJ
10-08-2017, 10:16 AM

No one on here should be answering this as that is the job of people at the football club, professional people who do this for a living. There is a point to be made that we are ill prepared for the start of the season, something that seems to happen every season. If Benteke and Hennessey clash knees in training today, we are as good as ****ed for the first few games.

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 10:22 AM
That's why we employ scouts FFS. If they can't find a striker or two within our price range that wants to come to us then they should get a new job. We are something like the 20th richest club in the world aren't we?

Tim
10-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Huddersfield have just made another signing. That takes their spending in this window over £50 mil!

The Vicar
10-08-2017, 10:27 AM
They are newly promoted, and we have spent 8? With no adequate, fit back up for Benteke? Something is amiss.

swissroll
10-08-2017, 10:27 AM
Not signing a GK I can live with for now, but to start the season with only 1 fit first team striker is ridiculous

nash84
10-08-2017, 10:29 AM
which signing?

costello
10-08-2017, 10:31 AM
They are newly promoted, and we have spent 8? With no adequate, fit back up for Benteke? Something is amiss.
Yes, but we did spend £30-40m in January.

Nigelbrag
10-08-2017, 10:39 AM

I thought i had given you my answer Andre Gray, and my reasons as to why i think he could fit into a variety of forward positions if necessary, and also scores good goals as we know to our cost. Just look around and see what other clubs have invested and then see what we have, Huddersfield having already spent nearly 50m are today making another big signing, and they are not the only ones.
As i have said many times before apart from Benteke have you seen what we have as alternatives should an injury occur, take your blinkers off and face up to the reality.

Owngoal
10-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Not signing a GK I can live with for now, but to start the season with only 1 fit first team striker is ridiculous

We will make signings by the end of the window but as it stands we are threadbare for keeper and striker - right sided defence probably OK unless Ward goes. FDB may still be making his mind up about several players but we need to be shipping the likes of Sakho, Lee and Mutch out urgently to free up wages for new signings as well.

nash84
10-08-2017, 10:47 AM
This site will be comedy gold on Saturday night/Sunday. if we lose or play badly, the fanbase will go into meltdown about the lack of depth, change of system, I told you it wouldnt work etc.

however, if we win or play well, we will definitely finish top 10 and Lokilo and Ladapo will be adequate backup.

I feel the truth is that many are scared to death because they honestly dont know what to expect from this new style under Frank de Boer

red&blue_moomin
10-08-2017, 10:57 AM

You do realise what we actually need is cover for wilf? We've been linked with a 9 and fdb has rubbished it saying it's not what we need. He's clearly thinks cb and cw are enough for the middle in combination with the kids. It's the a backup/challenger for either side that he wants given the majority of attacking players we've been linked with.

Nigelbrag
10-08-2017, 11:15 AM
It makes me laugh how fans say we should have bought Gray or Van Persie etc etc.

first, the player will want to move to your location, your club. they will want to ensure they will be playing (unless they are paid obscene money to sit on the bench) - I dont think we will play 442 nor have Andre Gray ahead of Benteke.

then there is the fee, wage expectations etc etc.

then there is whether the players work ethic, attitude, behaviour match the clubs expectations.

only in the case where you are desperate do you then just throw money at it.

look at the Brighton bid for Izquierda for example....they are desperate for talent, agent calls them and says....I know your team is shit, I have a player at brugge who will come to you despite not knowing who you are. give the club 18 million, the player 60k per week and a DVD of the clubs history, then meet me in a restaurant in Brugge this evening so we can send a false message of hope to your fans that you will stay up with a division one player with a fancy name.

On the basis of your theory we will never have more than ONE first choice striker, Gray has joined Watford knowing Deeney and Okoka is also there, then there is also Bournemouth with FOUR First choice strikers to choose from, Both "small" clubs if they can tempt players and we can't there is something very wrong in how we conduct business and our ambitions.
Should we be fortunate to get Either Van Persie or Gray they would NOT be restricted to playing 4-4-2, it could be alongside or just off the main striker, or in a Front Three with Zaha and Benteke making us a real goal threat for a change.
As for wages or fee for new additions, our current expenditure to date has been 7m so surely a lot more leeway, we are no longer novices in the premiership this will be our Fifth season and need to think accordingly if we are to make progress.
If you were to bring in players of the calibre of either Van Persie Or Gray, then it needs to be whereby they will be incorporated in the team, are we not thinking of playing with a Front Three? Zaha-Benteke-Van-Persie?
If we don't prepare ourselves to succeed then we will fail, and having the right players at your disposal is the only way to do it.

McpfcS
10-08-2017, 11:20 AM
I don't understand the surprise or panic at not having completed our transfer business yet. When have we (or most other clubs) ever had our first XI in place before the beginning of the season.

Basingstoke Eagle
10-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Pretty sure FDB knows who he will use in the first team now so perhaps there may be outgoings before there are any incomings.

Far East Eagle
10-08-2017, 12:11 PM
I don't understand the surprise or panic at not having completed our transfer business yet. When have we (or most other clubs) ever had our first XI in place before the beginning of the season.

The Panic comes from the fact we won't be at our strongest, will drop points and February will roll around again with us in trouble and everyone looking back at the August fixtures saying 'if only we had taken all 3 points from XX'. It happens every year.

orpingtoneagle
10-08-2017, 12:18 PM
The Panic comes from the fact we won't be at our strongest, will drop points and February will roll around again with us in trouble and everyone looking back at the August fixtures saying 'if only we had taken all 3 points from XX'. It happens every year.

is the correct answers !

nash84
10-08-2017, 12:36 PM
On the basis of your theory we will never have more than ONE first choice striker, Gray has joined Watford knowing Deeney and Okoka is also there, then there is also Bournemouth with FOUR First choice strikers to choose from, Both "small" clubs if they can tempt players and we can't there is something very wrong in how we conduct business and our ambitions.
Should we be fortunate to get Either Van Persie or Gray they would NOT be restricted to playing 4-4-2, it could be alongside or just off the main striker, or in a Front Three with Zaha and Benteke making us a real goal threat for a change.
As for wages or fee for new additions, our current expenditure to date has been 7m so surely a lot more leeway, we are no longer novices in the premiership this will be our Fifth season and need to think accordingly if we are to make progress.
If you were to bring in players of the calibre of either Van Persie Or Gray, then it needs to be whereby they will be incorporated in the team, are we not thinking of playing with a Front Three? Zaha-Benteke-Van-Persie?
If we don't prepare ourselves to succeed then we will fail, and having the right players at your disposal is the only way to do it.

Just saying that there is more to a transfer than "we should have bought him".

I agree we need re-inforcements if we are going to challenge over a season and are surely risking some much needed points early season if we lose Benteke or Zaha through injury or suspension. (no-one wants a repeat of Pardew's comments, "we didnt expect to lose Souare"

on the other hand, if they dont get injured or suspended then we will be alright for the first couple of weeks.

I would be more than happy to wait a couple of weeks to sign a quality forward rather than rush into buying the first one who comes available.

I for one dont think Gray would be a good signing at 18m. De Boer will be looking at shape and system of play. if a player like gray doesnt fit that, he may have scored 20 goals and lost every game. one quick google search on Andre Gray shows this. (whoscored.com)

+ Strengths
Finishing - Strong
- Weaknesses
Holding on to the ball - Very Weak
Offside awareness - Very Weak
Passing - Weak
Defensive contribution -Weak

if for example you were presented with this information from a scout, do you think de Boer would want to sign him?

Pete79
10-08-2017, 12:49 PM
We seemingly have a system regarding recruitment which acknoweldges that we are still one of the smallest clubs in the league and, having paid PL fee's and wages for 4 years, actually have less resources than some of the more recently promoted clubs. I've attempted to summarise our approach here:

1. Identify targets to buy and loan, leaning heavily on players from the 'big six' for loans (RLC, Mensah, Remy, Sanogo etc) and unwanted players looking to reboot their careers (Chamakh, Cabaye, Benteke, Puncheon, even Zaha) unattached players (Flamini, Adebayor, Sako - note, this never works) or cheaper options from other leagues that may turn out well (Dann, Ledely, Gayle).
2. Agree loan's. This seems to be fairly easy for Palace - the challange is finding the right players.
3. Negotiate very firmly for both transfer and wage for any player even if it means pushing the purchase back into the start of the season or failing to recruit
4. Save some money for January firefighting
5. Try and loan out the deadwood.

This system works as evidenced by our record fifth year in the PL. A comparison between our squad to that of the promoted squad or the first 11 compared to the first 11 last August is further evidence of this approach. Very rarely will we ever sign a player central to the plans of another club. In fact I can only think of Luka - and that's only due to his playing for a team in the greek league. It means frustrating August's and January's in perpetuity for us Palace fans but also nights such as we saw against Arsenal at home last season.

AJ
10-08-2017, 12:59 PM
We will make signings by the end of the window but as it stands we are threadbare for keeper and striker - right sided defence probably OK unless Ward goes. FDB may still be making his mind up about several players but we need to be shipping the likes of Sakho, Lee and Mutch out urgently to free up wages for new signings as well.
I would not be so sure. Last season we started the season with Wickham up front with Ladapo and Anderson on the bench as Campbell was injured, previous season it was Murray with Wickham, Banford and Gayle on the bench. Season before that it was Campbell with Gayle and Murray on the bench and the first season back it was Wilbraham and Gayle with Phillips and Chamakh on the bench. The point is that every season we are short in the striking department, not in numbers but in quality.

elgin eagle
10-08-2017, 01:04 PM
We seemingly have a system regarding recruitment which acknoweldges that we are still one of the smallest clubs in the league and, having paid PL fee's and wages for 4 years, actually have less resources than some of the more recently promoted clubs. I've attempted to summarise our approach here:

1. Identify targets to buy and loan, leaning heavily on players from the 'big six' for loans (RLC, Mensah, Remy, Sanogo etc) and unwanted players looking to reboot their careers (Chamakh, Cabaye, Benteke, Puncheon, even Zaha) unattached players (Flamini, Adebayor, Sako - note, this never works) or cheaper options from other leagues that may turn out well (Dann, Ledely, Gayle).
2. Agree loan's. This seems to be fairly easy for Palace - the challange is finding the right players.
3. Negotiate very firmly for both transfer and wage for any player even if it means pushing the purchase back into the start of the season or failing to recruit
4. Save some money for January firefighting
5. Try and loan out the deadwood.

This system works as evidenced by our record fifth year in the PL. A comparison between our squad to that of the promoted squad or the first 11 compared to the first 11 last August is further evidence of this approach. Very rarely will we ever sign a player central to the plans of another club. In fact I can only think of Luka - and that's only due to his playing for a team in the greek league. It means frustrating August's and January's in perpetuity for us Palace fans but also nights such as we saw against Arsenal at home last season.

Excellent analysis (bar the Holloway period). Patience is necessary, expecially if changing to a style that creates quite a bit of deadwood.

johnp
10-08-2017, 01:29 PM

Its not only the August fixtures, it's the September ones too, whilst our end of the window signings fit into our set up.

Unfortunately it is the way we do our transfer business. It will only change if the powers that be show some common sense and close the transfer window at the end of July.

Friskey
10-08-2017, 01:31 PM
We spent a lot in January. We were always going to spend less this window.

The time to judge FDB is this time next year after 3 windows. People predicting top half finishes are bonkers. This will be slow progress but worth it in the long run.

GreatGonzo
10-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Its not only the August fixtures, it's the September ones too, whilst our end of the window signings fit into our set up.

Unfortunately it is the way we do our transfer business. It will only change if the powers that be show some common sense and close the transfer window at the end of July.

No its not.

Slightly depends on whether they are internationals or not but from the day the window closes we have 10 days before we play again. If the player is off with his country he will come back at the same time half our players do and if not he will be assessed and then into full team training.

Latest they should be up to speed is Southampton on 16th. Exception would be a Sakho or VVD who have been frozen out of training who may take longer.

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 01:41 PM

The time to judge FDB is this time next year after 3 windows. People predicting top half finishes are bonkers. This will be slow progress but worth it in the long run.

We spent more in January because we underspent last summer, so January's expenditure shouldn't have as negative an impact on this summer as you might think. In any case, what is the point of the Americans? Where is their money? Wankers :D

El Aguila
10-08-2017, 01:50 PM
We bought Benteke, Townsend and Tomkins last summer!

aj4england
10-08-2017, 02:00 PM

Just providing we are still in the Prem then and don't lose Wilf...

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 02:24 PM
We bought Benteke, Townsend and Tomkins last summer!

And? We sold bolasie and Gayle, among others. Net spend wasn't much.

Bloody Middlesbrough have spent more than us this summer.

PHIL BARBER
10-08-2017, 02:24 PM

Frank the bore won't make it to the next window...... not 3 more Windows

Russboy
10-08-2017, 02:25 PM

Indeed. What do we do if Benteke is out for a significant period of time? First choice keeper? These are questions we've had since May 14th to answer. I would have thought last seasons skin of the teeth survival would have been a wake up call but seemingly not.

PHIL BARBER
10-08-2017, 02:25 PM

Great I'm not the only one who sees it....

britabroad
10-08-2017, 02:28 PM

Still here then. Your posts remind me of when my dog farts - unpleasant, lingering and always surprised by the reaction she gets after the event.

Friskey
10-08-2017, 02:31 PM

Shame you made this window.

Shipp Ahoy!
10-08-2017, 02:34 PM

Why don't you just **** off troll?

Like you promised you would.

PHIL BARBER
10-08-2017, 02:37 PM
Frank the Bore = Peter Taylor in clogs.

Owngoal
10-08-2017, 02:39 PM
I would not be so sure. Last season we started the season with Wickham up front with Ladapo and Anderson on the bench as Campbell was injured, previous season it was Murray with Wickham, Banford and Gayle on the bench. Season before that it was Campbell with Gayle and Murray on the bench and the first season back it was Wilbraham and Gayle with Phillips and Chamakh on the bench. The point is that every season we are short in the striking department, not in numbers but in quality.

Get what you mean but Benteke is quality and Wickham will come in half way. We did get a Chelsea crock but that was as effective as our England player Campbell and before that a prolific hairstyle in Bamford. Both just turned out to be the polar opposites of what we hoped. Hopefully FDB has a player in mind and I think he might just be a lot better at this side of managing a club than Pardew. What I do like is there are rumours now that don't come from leaks at the club and even the chairman. No rushing for the publicity. If Loftus Cheek is the No 10 we have been missing that could be something we have been missing. Just get a feeling we will get someone as FDB knows areas of Europe where we don't usually operate.

elgrande
10-08-2017, 02:39 PM

Yeah you know this because you are a top notch coach/ manager.....or just a wankers really.

Owngoal
10-08-2017, 02:41 PM

Must not abuse the troll. Does anyone think that care in the community works well?

SilentAssassin
10-08-2017, 02:46 PM

http://i66.tinypic.com/2v91xkk.jpg

Harry Bassett
10-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Just ignore him, no matter how annoying you find this individual...It may wither away of its own volition.

4 cryingOutloud
10-08-2017, 03:08 PM
I find it incredible that we've knew we needed a new goalie and two back up strikers all summer long and we've managed to do f**k all about it!

How do you know "we've managed to do f**k all about it". For all you know we may have been in for plenty but were scared off by the asking price, or that they weren't available. The incredible thing is, you don't know, but you think you do. :rolleyes:

dave_who_ru
10-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Yes, but we did spend £30-40m in January.

I'm not sure how up to date this is but according to 'Transfer League' we have the 6th highest net spend over the past 5 seasons:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

Unfortunately for us, other than last season, we have seen little return on the players who have left Palace.

A quick check and I have found about 40 players who have played in the first team who have either been released or granted a free transfer over the past 5 seasons.

All unsustainable for a club the size of Palace.

El Aguila
10-08-2017, 03:44 PM

Well jeez, Louise, someone should have told us that the aim of the game is to spend as much money as possible.

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Well jeez, Louise, someone should have told us that the aim of the game is to spend as much money as possible.

Not at all. Just saying we should have a lot more left to spend. I thought the US investment would take us up a level but it clearly hasn't yet.

elgin eagle
10-08-2017, 03:50 PM

Thank God. I thought I was the only one who was finding it really refreshing that we had acquired three top young players for very little outlay compared to most transfers this summer. These high fees just eat at your soul. Best scouting manager since Dougie if early evidence is anything to go by. Just hope we can find a few more.

elgrande
10-08-2017, 03:58 PM
Not at all. Just saying we should have a lot more left to spend. I thought the US investment would take us up a level but it clearly hasn't yet.

But you are negative on every thread....bet you are a bundle of laughs down the pub.

pardew's shorts
10-08-2017, 04:06 PM
Putting aside the fact we have brought in three new players before a competitive ball has been kicked, & secured Zaha's future, has it not occurred to anyone that FdB - as he said - might like to work with what he has got and promote from the academy?

It's an old school philosophy, sure, but perhaps he'd like to try and coach the players to be better than they are; perhaps he'd like to coach his way out of squad issues, rather than resort to spending endless money to fill gaps?

You are all children of Sky Sports News and their Transfer Centre and totaliser bollocks.

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 04:10 PM
But you are negative on every thread....bet you are a bundle of laughs down the pub.

Sorry, didn't realise you had to be a ray of sunshine to post on here. I'm happy about the rest of my life - just the palace bit makes me anxious...! Seen too many false dawns.

Anyway. I'll pack it in. Don't like our transfer strategy this summer or the formation but really hope it works and FDB succeeds.

dave_who_ru
10-08-2017, 04:17 PM

The US investment was meant to take care of the infrastructure so it would not be a drain on the playing side of things.

Just a reminder we had the 4th highest net spend on players last season.

Ralph
10-08-2017, 04:22 PM

Why have you decided he's boring?

El Aguila
10-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Sixth highest net spend in the last five seasons probably (I hope) sends out massive flashing red lights in the boardroom. We're not finishing each season in the top six.

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 04:30 PM
The US investment was meant to take care of the infrastructure so it would not be a drain on the playing side of things.

Just a reminder we had the 4th highest net spend on players last season.

Ah, I'll wait to see that infrastructure investment then - no sign of it yet.

PHIL BARBER
10-08-2017, 05:10 PM

US investment = cash for CPFC2010 Investors not to improve the actual club.

elgrande
10-08-2017, 05:13 PM

Like any one with half a brain would read any thing you write and believe it.....

Eagle's Nest
10-08-2017, 05:29 PM

What on earth are you chatting about. CPFC2010 is responsible for shepherding our club into a golden era. What you describe as sycophancy is support for unmitigated success.

Just stop talking now.

Gyro1780
10-08-2017, 07:18 PM
So with the Fosu-Mensah deal now done. How many more do you think we need before the window closes?
I'm guessing 3:
1: GK - Hennessey replacement or at least competition for first choice
2: ST - Benteke back up option
3: CB or RCB

Vince Hilaire's Afro
10-08-2017, 08:06 PM

I think the problem is that your post is so general. You would get a far more favourable response if you showed your financial analysis in detail, and pinpointed the precise areas where money is available (including future cash flow projections) and end it with a conclusion of where the club is going wrong a and what you'd do to fix it, were they not too stubborn to use your superior expertise.

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 08:17 PM
I think the problem is that your post is so general. You would get a far more favourable response if you showed your financial analysis in detail, and pinpointed the precise areas where money is available (including future cash flow projections) and end it with a conclusion of where the club is going wrong a and what you'd do to fix it, were they not too stubborn to use your superior expertise.

In the meantime, I'll get a life...

dave_who_ru
10-08-2017, 08:54 PM
So with the Fosu-Mensah deal now done. How many more do you think we need before the window closes?
I'm guessing 3:
1: GK - Hennessey replacement or at least competition for first choice
2: ST - Benteke back up option
3: CB or RCB

Fosu-Mensah is our RCB according to FdB.

I think a striker is a priority over a goalkeeper.

Ooh Betty
10-08-2017, 09:01 PM

Great stuff.

bob_h
16-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Rivals West Brom., Newcastle, Stoke all managing to get players over the line in the past 24 hours. Meanwhile tumbleweed for Palace fans................

exiledeagle
16-08-2017, 12:08 PM
It is a concern as we really need 4 minimum in . There does not appear to be any real speculation and never quite understand leaving until last day . Maybe we are low on funds or just the FDB is not sure what we need yet .

Thefunkymonk
16-08-2017, 12:11 PM
Trying not to moan too much and judge before deadline but I will... so far this has been a terrible window

GreatGonzo
16-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Rivals West Brom., Newcastle, Stoke all managing to get players over the line in the past 24 hours. Meanwhile tumbleweed for Palace fans................

Newcastle and Stoke shows why things struggle to move before the deadline looms.

The only reason Newcastle signed Joselu today is because it required Jese to move on loan first.

Still 2 weeks to go, still think we are unlikely to have anyone new and able to start until after Swansea but also expect us to bring in at least 4 more.

jobiinthelastmi
16-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Considering the quantity of players that left,

The known gaps in the team/squad

It's been beyond shit!

mylona
16-08-2017, 01:05 PM
Considering the quantity of players that left,

The known gaps in the team/squad

It's been beyond shit!

Well if we can't afford to bring in players to compete in this league and we can't bring through development players (except from other clubs on loan) we know where we are heading.

Maiden Eagle
16-08-2017, 01:45 PM
I'm wondering if so much was spent in last winter's window - £37mil odd plus Sacko's wages and I assume a loan fee - That Parrish has more or less put a block on much spending this summer. And last summer, although forunes were seemingly spent, we got quite a lot back, with Bolaise and Gayle going.
This year, apart from wage savings from players being released, we haven't generated any sales income.
It does make me wonder if Big Sam was presented with this small budget, before he decided to jack it in. I suppose we can only speculate on all this ? Perhaps money will be spent (and by god it needs to.......on a Keeper and a Striker). Let's hope so.

brighton_eagle
16-08-2017, 02:09 PM
Sixth highest net spend in the last five seasons probably (I hope) sends out massive flashing red lights in the boardroom. We're not finishing each season in the top six.

I think that shows how underinvested and unprepared we were for promotion. Not that that is surprising. A couple of years prior we were in administration and on the verge of disappearing totally, relying on a team of kids and journeymen. We got ourselves promoted on one of the cheapest assembled teams ever, and have been playing catch up ever since.

cdm61
16-08-2017, 02:12 PM
I fear we are this seasons Sunderland

brighton_eagle
16-08-2017, 02:18 PM

Our issue right now is attempting to transition philosophy and tactics. If we were playing to our established strengths, I'd feel happier about the lack of movement in the market, although we would still need a GK and a back up striker. Other than that what we have should be sufficient to keep us in the division.

However, a number of our current players are not well suited to the new system and tactics. They may well adapt over time - not even Chelsea transitioned immediately to Conte's style - but the worry of course is that they won't.

I also worry that we've only made 1 permanent signing so far, so this time next year we will have to replace RLC and TFM as well as having a Cabaye sized hole in the team, and possibly lose Wilf too.

Mr Palace
16-08-2017, 02:31 PM
We need to pull our finger out. Another game about to pass by with no new signings.

eagle101
16-08-2017, 02:43 PM
I think that shows how underinvested and unprepared we were for promotion. Not that that is surprising. A couple of years prior we were in administration and on the verge of disappearing totally, relying on a team of kids and journeymen. We got ourselves promoted on one of the cheapest assembled teams ever, and have been playing catch up ever since.

You're right. For the most part, our transfer policy since promotion has been dreadful, and it feels like has shown no sign of being corrected. I guess Parish wanted the DoF/head coach model with Mackay and Moody but that went to pieces, obviously. And the likes of Warnock, Pulis, Pardew, and Allardyce would never work with that. For context, here's our signings since we got into the Premier League:

Holloway:
Gayle
Mariappa
Guedioura
Hunt
Puncheon (L)
Bannan
Campaña
Chamakh
Dobbie
Kébé
Grandin
Sow
Phillips
Alexander
Thomas
Marange
Jerome (L)

Pulis:
Hennessey
Ledley
Dann
Ince (L)
Kelly
Campbell
Hangeland

Warnock:
McArthur
Fryers
Zaha
Doyle (L)

Pardew:
Mutch
Souaré
Sanogo
Lee
Cabaye
Wickham
McCarthy
Sako
Bamford (L)
Adebayor
Benteke
Townsend
Tomkins
Rémy (L)
Mandanda
Flamini

Allardyce:
Milivojevic
Schlupp
van Aanholt
Sakho (L)

De Boer:
Riedwald
Loftus-Cheek (L)
Fosu-Mensah (L)

Honestly, the amount of money in fees and wages on that lot must be absolutely staggering - money that (personally speaking) could have been better spent on the academy. I'm not surprised the club is now trying to cut its cloth accordingly. I just worry this season it's going to catch up with us and we'll have nothing to show for it in the Championship.

A smarter transfer policy is imperative for a club our size, a) especially if we're serious about implementing a new playing ethos throughout the club, which I think is absolutely the right thing to do, and b) because current murmurings are that the next TV rights deal could well see a drop in the price of what Sky/BT pay, particularly if Netflix/Amazon/Google/Facebook get involved. I just hope de Boer gets as much backing as possible from both the board and the stands.

burgess hill 84
16-08-2017, 02:46 PM
You're right. For the most part, our transfer policy since promotion has been dreadful, and it feels like has shown no sign of being corrected. I guess Parish wanted the DoF/head coach model with Mackay and Moody but that went to pieces, obviously. And the likes of Warnock, Pulis, Pardew, and Allardyce would never work with that. For context, here's our signings since we got into the Premier League:

Holloway:
Gayle
Mariappa
Guedioura
Hunt
Puncheon (L)
Bannan
Campaña
Chamakh
Dobbie
Kébé
Grandin
Sow
Phillips
Alexander
Thomas
Marange
Jerome (L)

Pulis:
Hennessey
Ledley
Dann
Ince (L)
Kelly
Campbell
Hangeland

Warnock:
McArthur
Fryers
Zaha
Doyle (L)

Pardew:
Mutch
Souaré
Sanogo
Lee
Cabaye
Wickham
McCarthy
Sako
Bamford (L)
Adebayor
Benteke
Townsend
Tomkins
Rémy (L)
Mandanda
Flamini

Allardyce:
Milivojevic
Schlupp
van Aanholt
Sakho (L)

De Boer:
Riedwald
Loftus-Cheek (L)
Fosu-Mensah (L)

Honestly, the amount of money in fees and wages on that lot must be absolutely staggering - money that (personally speaking) could have been better spent on the academy. I'm not surprised the club is now trying to cut its cloth accordingly. I just worry this season it's going to catch up with us and we'll have nothing to show for it in the Championship.

A smarter transfer policy is imperative for a club our size, a) especially if we're serious about implementing a new playing ethos throughout the club, which I think is absolutely the right thing to do, and b) because current murmurings are that the next TV rights deal could well see a drop in the price of what Sky/BT pay, particularly if Netflix/Amazon/Google/Facebook get involved. I just hope de Boer gets as much backing as possible from both the board and the stands.

**** me we have bought some utter shit over the last 4 seasons.

GreatGonzo
16-08-2017, 02:51 PM

Rubbish!!!!

We don't have a decent young keeper.

jimmy the gent
16-08-2017, 02:53 PM
We dont have a decent keeper full stop.

Harry Bassett
16-08-2017, 02:54 PM
We paid through the nose for Annolt and Schlupp because of the failure to properly manage our transfer budget in the summer. The expenditure was to try and preserve our PL status and here we are again with perhaps three players in the team on Saturday that need replacement never mind another striker to add to the squad.

Mind you it is so easy to sit in front of a computer and spend other peoples money!

spt1978
16-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Hope our high-risk approach of leaving transfers to the last minute pays off.

Very fearful of relegation this season, FdB is a good manager but needs backing.

PHIL BARBER
16-08-2017, 03:00 PM

Very fearful of relegation this season, FdB is a good manager but needs backing.

It is FDB that has stated that our squad of players suits 3-4-3 so are we right in assuming it is his decision not to buy more players. Of course that would be music to Parish's ears.

Thefunkymonk
16-08-2017, 03:05 PM
It is FDB that has stated that our squad of players suits 3-4-3 so are we right in assuming it is his decision not to buy more players. Of course that would be music to Parish's ears.

Well he isn't going to come out and say the players aren't capable of playing the system he wants is he?

andyocpfc
16-08-2017, 03:14 PM

Holloway:
Gayle
Mariappa
Guedioura
Hunt
Puncheon (L)
Bannan
Campaña
Chamakh
Dobbie
Kébé
Grandin
Sow
Phillips
Alexander
Thomas
Marange
Jerome (L)

Pulis:
Hennessey
Ledley
Dann
Ince (L)
Kelly
Campbell
Hangeland

Warnock:
McArthur
Fryers
Zaha
Doyle (L)

Pardew:
Mutch
Souaré
Sanogo
Lee
Cabaye
Wickham
McCarthy
Sako
Bamford (L)
Adebayor
Benteke
Townsend
Tomkins
Rémy (L)
Mandanda
Flamini

Allardyce:
Milivojevic
Schlupp
van Aanholt
Sakho (L)

De Boer:
Riedwald
Loftus-Cheek (L)
Fosu-Mensah (L)

That list just shows you how good Sam is in the transfer market as well as being a great manager and tactician. 100% success rate on those four I would say, highlighted by our rise from relegation to safety. It can't be underestimated good he was for us. Was gutted when he left.

smoll
16-08-2017, 03:14 PM

If Fdb is a good manager we won't get relegated

jimmy the gent
16-08-2017, 03:24 PM
If Fdb is a good manager we won't get relegated

Oh well.

Absolution
16-08-2017, 03:41 PM
The speed in which Palace progress transfers is tragically slow, for both sales and purchases.

We've got numerous useless/deadwood players that are still sitting about in the squad being paid vast sums of money. I'd rather we paid half their salary to ditch them to the Championship. That's if anyone in the Championship is stupid enough to pay the likes of Lee, Sako or Mutch 50% of their already bloated salaries.

We've seemingly embarked on the plan of overhauling the formation AND playing style. Both of which are absolutely fine to do in theory, however as we glide past the mid-point of August we have got a squad that suits 4-3-3 as they've barely made any moves to correct this.

We have an abundance of central midfielders, be it attacking or defensive, with only two spots for them to fill in the starting lineup. Does no one even write the squad up on a whiteboard and look at it? People genuinely spend more time building their "Ultimate Team" squads are home then Parish et al appear to spend building Palace's.

Forward planning as to be a part of the process, otherwise you can end up with only one striker like this year. It's August and we are one injury from Ladapo. Top work. That same approach to the left back spot last year left us with the nightmare of Martin Kelly playing at full back. Did no one look at either full back role and think "oops, no depth there. best sign someone"?

desperado
16-08-2017, 04:14 PM
For context, here's our signings since we got into the Premier League:

Holloway:
Gayle
Mariappa
Guedioura
Hunt
Puncheon (L)
Bannan
Campaña
Chamakh
Dobbie
Kébé
Grandin
Sow
Phillips
Alexander
Thomas
Marange
Jerome (L)

Pulis:
Hennessey
Ledley
Dann
Ince (L)
Kelly
Campbell
Hangeland

Warnock:
McArthur
Fryers
Zaha
Doyle (L)

Pardew:
Mutch
Souaré
Sanogo
Lee
Cabaye
Wickham
McCarthy
Sako
Bamford (L)
Adebayor
Benteke
Townsend
Tomkins
Rémy (L)
Mandanda
Flamini

Allardyce:
Milivojevic
Schlupp
van Aanholt
Sakho (L)

De Boer:
Riedwald
Loftus-Cheek (L)
Fosu-Mensah (L)

The amount of dross on that list shows we continue to sign quantity and not quality. Most of those signings are nowhere near Premier League quality. The amount that has been wasted on fees, agent's fees, wages and NIC must be considerable

It appears that those in charge of recruitment have never heard of 'buy cheap buy twice'

* Under Pardew signings should also be Shola Ameobi, signed on 29th January 2015, played a total of 38 minutes. Not surprised people may not have noticed

Penstone Eagle
16-08-2017, 05:21 PM
Well he isn't going to come out and say the players aren't capable of playing the system he wants is he?

Honesty would be refreshing though.

Thefunkymonk
16-08-2017, 05:38 PM
Honesty would be refreshing though.

It would be. I'm sure he has behind closed doors to sp

RisZero
16-08-2017, 05:51 PM
WBA have rejected an £18m bid from Man City for Jonny Evans, thats what kind of window this is :/

Thefunkymonk
16-08-2017, 06:08 PM
WBA have rejected an £18m bid from Man City for Jonny Evans, thats what kind of window this is :/

The window where the very same city paid £50m for Kyle walker. I'm with West Brom.. I would sell unless they doubled it

Mr Palace
16-08-2017, 06:21 PM
The fees are crazy but the money premier league clubs get from sky is crazy. Football is basically being ruined.

Palaceguard
16-08-2017, 06:36 PM

Holloway:
Gayle
Mariappa
Guedioura
Hunt
Puncheon (L)
Bannan
Campaña
Chamakh
Dobbie
Kébé
Grandin
Sow
Phillips
Alexander
Thomas
Marange
Jerome (L)

Pulis:
Hennessey
Ledley
Dann
Ince (L)
Kelly
Campbell
Hangeland

Warnock:
McArthur
Fryers
Zaha
Doyle (L)

Pardew:
Mutch
Souaré
Sanogo
Lee
Cabaye
Wickham
McCarthy
Sako
Bamford (L)
Adebayor
Benteke
Townsend
Tomkins
Rémy (L)
Mandanda
Flamini

Allardyce:
Milivojevic
Schlupp
van Aanholt
Sakho (L)

De Boer:
Riedwald
Loftus-Cheek (L)
Fosu-Mensah (L)

Surely much of this is down to the market, competition and our standing or how we are perceived. Progression and managers relationships with agents/players also play a massive part

An established EPL club attracts different players to a newly promoted club

We've progressed each year and just need to add depth and quality

elgin eagle
16-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Bolasie and Gayle aside, we never seem to get much for our players and lots just leave on frees. That list showing the failed purchases is fairly sobering though. Wonder what a tight jock like the Doog would have done differently if working on the recruitment side of things. You would think in this massively price-inflated market even our deadwood created by the formation change would give FdB a fairly decent budget to go out and actually sign players comfortable in such a continental system.

costello
16-08-2017, 09:14 PM
That list just shows you how good Sam is in the transfer market as well as being a great manager and tactician. 100% success rate on those four I would say, highlighted by our rise from relegation to safety. It can't be underestimated good he was for us. Was gutted when he left.
The jury is still out on Schlupp and PVA

Ogilvy
16-08-2017, 09:34 PM
The jury is still out on Schlupp and PVA

At least they're still out. They came back within minutes on mutch, sako, and 90% of that list. No matter what happens just keeping our status in PL meant they have been a moderate success

bigGcpfc
16-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Judging by Saturdays performance if we don't sign at least 3 quality players we are doomed, Capt Mainwaring.

RisZero
16-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Im usually fairly optimistic and wait for the window to close and make judgements after seeing our business in full and how we are shaping up on the pitch.

This is the toughest window I remember in recent history though :/

DARZET EAGLE
16-08-2017, 09:59 PM
Im usually fairly optimistic and wait for the window to close and make judgements after seeing our business in full and how we are shaping up on the pitch.

This is the toughest window I remember in recent history though :/

We can't and shouldn't pay the crazy fees being asked for average players. There must be some hidden gems out there, and in time from within our own Academy. In the meantime needs must and in the next couple of weeks I hope we pick up a decent goalkeeper, central defender attacking midfielder and striker.

brighton_eagle
16-08-2017, 10:41 PM

Holloway:
Gayle
Mariappa
Guedioura
Hunt
Puncheon (L)
Bannan
Campaña
Chamakh
Dobbie
Kébé
Grandin
Sow
Phillips
Alexander
Thomas
Marange
Jerome (L)

Pulis:
Hennessey
Ledley
Dann
Ince (L)
Kelly
Campbell
Hangeland

Warnock:
McArthur
Fryers
Zaha
Doyle (L)

Pardew:
Mutch
Souaré
Sanogo
Lee
Cabaye
Wickham
McCarthy
Sako
Bamford (L)
Adebayor
Benteke
Townsend
Tomkins
Rémy (L)
Mandanda
Flamini

Allardyce:
Milivojevic
Schlupp
van Aanholt
Sakho (L)

De Boer:
Riedwald
Loftus-Cheek (L)
Fosu-Mensah (L)

That is an incredible list. Let's ignore this season's deals for now, and that is 48 players! Only 18 are still with the club, and 3 of those were last January signings! So we've had 30 players signed permanently or on loan who are no longer here. It's not exactly building a legacy.

brighton_eagle
16-08-2017, 10:43 PM
Holloway didn't half sign some dross.

ForestGateEagle
16-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Bolasie and Gayle aside, we never seem to get much for our players and lots just leave on frees. That list showing the failed purchases is fairly sobering though. Wonder what a tight jock like the Doog would have done differently if working on the recruitment side of things. You would think in this massively price-inflated market even our deadwood created by the formation change would give FdB a fairly decent budget to go out and actually sign players comfortable in such a continental system.

One of Sunderland's many big problems is that they made huge losses in the transfer market, which drained the club and couldn't permit further purchases. PVA was one of the few who they made a profit on in recent years, and they knew we were desparate.

Looking at that rather depressing list, the same will surely be said of us in a year or two. I hope we do not join Sunderland in the Championship to discuss the point.

danpalace07
17-08-2017, 01:20 AM
It's so quiet...

Jaserob
17-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Silent night.............

GorBlimey
17-08-2017, 02:30 AM

Not really if you consider the budget he was working with, which was a few quid short of bugger all.

There seems to be some kind of entitlement attitude around here lately, which doesn't really sit well with our history.

Most managers we've had have been given sod-all money until the shit hits the fan and even then only BFS had the taps opened wide.

Eagle's Nest
17-08-2017, 02:38 AM
How on earth did we stay up in that first season? Pulis is a miracle worker

GorBlimey
17-08-2017, 02:42 AM

Yet we own his house.

That f*cking miracle didn't work out too well for the shitbag did it?

Far East Eagle
17-08-2017, 03:08 AM
Yet we own his house.

That f*cking miracle didn't work out too well for the shitbag did it?

Board wouldn't give him money, he got pissed off and left. Parish then gives Pardew tens of millions, which he largely squandered.

GorBlimey
17-08-2017, 03:52 AM
Parish then gives Pardew tens of millions, which he largely squandered.

Please elaborate.

bigend1
17-08-2017, 04:46 AM
So we're here again. Things not great on the pitch...

Parish is a twat who's blown a load on money on shit players backing the manager

Parish is a tight twat that won't spend money to back the manager

Makes sense

elgin eagle
17-08-2017, 06:14 AM
One of Sunderland's many big problems is that they made huge losses in the transfer market, which drained the club and couldn't permit further purchases. PVA was one of the few who they made a profit on in recent years, and they knew we were desparate.

Looking at that rather depressing list, the same will surely be said of us in a year or two. I hope we do not join Sunderland in the Championship to discuss the point.

One positive is that the first team is worth a small fortune at today's values, so we have put more value into the squad than say Sunderland. If we are persisting with 3-4 bloody 3 let's hope the next sale pays for the next purchase of van der wiel, or someone who is as fast as Fosu-Mensah and who can actually play in that system.

cdm61
17-08-2017, 06:34 AM

I think we are this season's Sunderland. American owners, too many managers, squad light on quality, bumping along with relegation battles. Now we've thrown in a manager without Premiership experience and a complete change of style.

orp pisshead1
17-08-2017, 06:51 AM
Silent night.............

Ffs you'll start Ricky B off with his Christmas thread in GCC :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

:D:p

swissroll
17-08-2017, 06:55 AM
Ask BFS to scout and recommend the signings until he finds anothe job - 100% success rate for us

orp pisshead1
17-08-2017, 07:02 AM
Ask BFS to scout and recommend the signings until he finds anothe job - 100% success rate for us

Pva a success ? Not sure there tbh awful defender.

eagle101
17-08-2017, 07:36 AM

I'm not convinced that they were all his signings...

Heath eagle
17-08-2017, 07:52 AM
Depressingly quiet

Mr Palace
17-08-2017, 08:03 AM
Another week drifts by...

Tim
17-08-2017, 08:03 AM

He did an unbelievable job with no money to spend but SP expected him to keep doing it.

BillyTKid
17-08-2017, 08:09 AM
It's really good news about Souare being back in training. Although it typical Palace that we have gone from have no left back to three good ones. If Souare is looking likely to be back to his old self it might be an idea to try and get our money back on either PVA or Schluup and use the funds to buy a RB.

jaspercpfc
17-08-2017, 08:09 AM
Ffs you'll start Ricky B off with his Christmas thread in GCC :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

he's more likely to be signing "lonely this Christmas" within his prison cell.

Joe.L
17-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Pva a success ? Not sure there tbh awful defender.

Seems to me that the large majority of goals conceded come down Palace's right hand side so I think we have plenty more in our defence to worry about than PVA's defending.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 08:21 AM
It's really good news about Souare being back in training. Although it typical Palace that we have gone from have no left back to three good ones. If Souare is looking likely to be back to his old self it might be an idea to try and get our money back on either PVA or Schluup and use the funds to buy a RB.

IF he is back to where he was then yes, even taking a slight hit on the fee for say Schlupp might not be the worst idea. If we can get a fee for McArthur and something for Ward and Kelly we may have a fee for a top quality player.

thomo12345
17-08-2017, 08:29 AM
The lack of transfer activity suggests there isn't any money in the pot? Where has it gone?

colin61
17-08-2017, 08:35 AM
The lack of transfer activity suggests there isn't any money in the pot? Where has it gone?

In agents fees & ridiculous players wages