PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Joel Ward - Rejected new deal?

Pages : [1] 2

SilentAssassin
10-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Talk of Joel Ward rejecting a new deal and might be off...

Shame if true, been here for a good number of years and a good bloke but I think we may have got the best out of him. Terrific buy from the club and if he is off we will be sure to make a good return on him.

Martin H
10-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Talk of Joel Ward rejecting a new deal and might be off...

Not totally surprised by this and it will be a shame to see him leave. Let's see what happens. Would expect someone to come in and snap him up. Lot of experience and very consistent.

cdm61
10-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Very consistent at giving the ball away and delivering bad crosses

9Freedman9
10-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Wouldn't mind him going, hasn't been as good lately. Hopefully we get someone like Chambers in as a replacement.

bradpitt
10-08-2017, 09:11 AM
A steady player but has shown no sign of improvement in the last few seasons, if we're to push on we need an upgrade

The Drive Man
10-08-2017, 09:11 AM
He has been a very good servant for us and always gives 100%..
He might not be great going forward and certainly suffered a dip in form last Season - but he certainly deserves to be respected for the way he represents the club on and off the pitch. A top pro and would Love him to sign a new deal with us.

gilesy14
10-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Was told he was looking to leave before Allardyce came in as was dismayed with life under Pardew. So if he's not going to get a look in under FdB, can 100% see him moving on.

IpswichEagle
10-08-2017, 09:13 AM
I think that Ward has been getting shown up a bit in the past two seasons. Certainly was a good player we signed at the right time, but as the level of the squad has increased (albeit league position not always reflected), he is one of a couple that should no longer be 1st team picks imo.

There are better RBs out there that would suit our play more, i.e. more pace and cross delivery.

Stick a fast player that can cut inside on weaker foot up against Ward and he gets done quite easily.

Shame if he leaves as we'd probably need 2R(W)Bs to bolster the squad.

trufan
10-08-2017, 09:14 AM
That save off the line at Wembley.... But yes, he's probably peaked at Palace. Wish him well wherever he goes. He'll be a class acquisition for someone.

wedgetail
10-08-2017, 09:15 AM
He doesn't have a role under the 343 system so I can understand his wanting to leave.

Pete79
Might be best for both Ward and the club.

Palace legend.

bloodfart
Was immense for us during promotion/1st season in PL and has been mostly solid since but I think it's right for both parties to move on

swissroll
10-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Went backwards after Pulis left. To get the best out of him needs to be in a Pulis type rigidly coached team following orders at all times

Payney
10-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Performed well for Palace for a couple of seasons but time to move him on for a more athletic and powerful full back. Has rarely overlapped his winger with any meaningful effect over the past two seasons.

Mr Palace
He needs to stay - great defender who never lets us down. If we play for at the back then he's good enough. Can't see him playing as a wing back. I had hoped he could play on the right side of a back three. He started as a CB at Portsmouth.

I'd much rather we sold Damo or Kelly over Ward.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
Went backwards after Pulis left. To get the best out of him needs to be in a Pulis type rigidly coached team following orders at all times
I imagine that Pulis would probably be a likely destination if he does leave. With Fosu-Mensah arriving, his departure would make some sense.

Anyone know how long he has left on his deal?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
10-08-2017, 09:19 AM
He needs to stay - great defender who never lets us down. If we play for at the back then he's good enough. Can't see him playing as a wing back. I had hoped he could play on the right side of a back three. He started as a CB at Portsmouth.

No one would buy Damo and if we continue with 3 CBs then Kelly is more likely to get games than Ward I guess.

eaglejez
10-08-2017, 09:20 AM
no probs with our big squad.......oh :(

DaveP
10-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Would wish nothing but Joel the best if he was to go. Been fantastic for us on and off the pitch and he is one of the nicest guys you could wish to meet.

exiledeagle
10-08-2017, 09:22 AM
Will be another space in squad we will need to fill

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 09:23 AM
No one would buy Damo and if we continue with 3 CBs then Kelly is more likely to get games than Ward I guess.

Don't see why Kelly would play over ward when the latter is a better player. Remember ward played well as a defensive midfielder too for a brief period. He's versatile. Agree with you about Damo though.

weltklasse
10-08-2017, 09:24 AM
Its only a rumour.....

GreatGonzo
Good pro, supposedly a good guy too. He wan't going to sign a new contract under Pulis when he was being played LB.

Think he just wants to play football and play in his preferred position at RB. Given the direction of travel that is not going to happen for him at Palace in the foreseeable future so can understand him wanting to move on.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
Don't see why Kelly would play over ward when the latter is a better player. Remember ward played well as a defensive midfielder too for a brief period. He's versatile. Agree with you about Damo though.
Kelly's more of a centre back so probably fits the new system a bit more.

aashman12
10-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Wouldn't mind him going, hasn't been as good lately. Hopefully we get someone like Chambers in as a replacement.

Hasn't been any good since pulis left. And that's when he was playing lb

Chris Finch
Could see him going to Brighton

nash84
absolutely dont want this to happen. attitude and character are as vital as skill and this guy really is a pleasure to have at the club. he is one of the hardest workers, goes about his business quietly and you know what, I actually dont really care if he gets done every so often by the worlds best, it isnt like Kyle Walker didnt get battered by Zaha or Hazard is it.

aashman12
10-08-2017, 09:27 AM

Because kelly is a cb and pretty good at it too

Kai
10-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Why would they offer him a new deal in the first place? Not fit to play the new system and is on a downward trajectory.

aj4england
10-08-2017, 09:28 AM
More than adequate enough for us at RB. Solid committed professional. Start moving on steady players and you run a serious risk when the s*** hits the fan

Ooh Betty
10-08-2017, 09:29 AM

Palace legend.

Legend ? Come on

CharlieCPFC
10-08-2017, 09:30 AM
We came across his dad on the way back from Hull and he said how originally his family grew up in South Norwood and he was a Palace fan. They then moved out to Sussex.

Been a superb player for us but has shown he has his limitations. De Boer must see something in him if he's offering him a new contract though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ward to go West Brom in all honesty. As long he's replaced I have no qualms with this.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
10-08-2017, 09:30 AM

Said same ages ago. They're scum but with the facilities they have it must be tempting for any pro to join them if the pay is right.

rainbow_child
10-08-2017, 09:33 AM
He's been a terrific servant for the Club. What sort of value would people put on him in todays money?!

mushroom
absolutely dont want this to happen. attitude and character are as vital as skill and this guy really is a pleasure to have at the club. he is one of the hardest workers, goes about his business quietly and you know what, I actually dont really care if he gets done every so often by the worlds best, it isnt like Kyle Walker didnt get battered by Zaha or Hazard is it.

Yep, good player... Pardew tried to change his game, and he suffered. When he asked to play a defensive full back role, he is decent (not world class). I still think he could do a job in a back 3. It's gonna be a long season... players that can perform in more than 1 position are gonna be vital for a club our size.

SilentAssassin
Legend ? Come on

He's been here 6 years, 5 of those in the Premier League, play off winner and an FA Cup finalist and has been ever present over those 6 years. He doesn't quite get the name of name among the crowd as much as say Zaha and Bolasie over those years but for me he has been wonderful for this club. I don't begrudge anyone who regards him as a legend for any of that.

Always been one of the first to praise the backing of the fans and appreciate our style of support.

Davy64
10-08-2017, 09:34 AM
He's waiting for more money on the table before signing a new contract.

An offer has been on the table for a long time. He will go.

Chris Finch
10-08-2017, 09:34 AM
He's been a terrific servant for the Club. What sort of value would people put on him in todays money?!

Anything less than 5m in this market and you're getting a bargain?

Owngoal
10-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Would wish nothing but Joel the best if he was to go. Been fantastic for us on and off the pitch and he is one of the nicest guys you could wish to meet.

Spot on. Has been an important player for us. Everyone has an off day and some opponents in the PL would show anyone up. Some of the crap comments being made about a guy who always gives his all show absolutely no class, the opposite of Joel who always is a class guy. If he goes hope he gets regular game time and a decent contract.

mb23
10-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Can fully understand him wanting to leave. A proper professional, and will be an asset to whoever he joins.

Rasheed Harkouk
10-08-2017, 09:37 AM
An offer has been on the table for a long time. He will go.

He's on good money already and is surplus to requirement now. Great servant for the club but we are trying to move on

Owngoal
10-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Why would they offer him a new deal in the first place? Not fit to play the new system and is on a downward trajectory.

Class post - not. True supporter

orp pisshead1
10-08-2017, 09:39 AM
He might not be great going forward and certainly suffered a dip in form last Season - but he certainly deserves to be respected for the way he represents the club on and off the pitch. A top pro and would Love him to sign a new deal with us.

This ^^^^^^:p

cpfcben
10-08-2017, 09:39 AM

This

harry_1993
10-08-2017, 09:40 AM
He's been here 6 years, 5 of those in the Premier League, play off winner and an FA Cup finalist and has been ever present over those 6 years. He doesn't quite get the name of name among the crowd as much as say Zaha and Bolasie over those years but for me he has been wonderful for this club. I don't begrudge anyone who regards him as a legend for any of that.

Always been one of the first to praise the backing of the fans and appreciate our style of support.

Totally agree with this.

orp pisshead1
10-08-2017, 09:41 AM
More than adequate enough for us at RB. Solid committed professional. Start moving on steady players and you run a serious risk when the s*** hits the fan

Again this ^^^^^^^^.

SilentAssassin
10-08-2017, 09:41 AM

5-8 million?

Dougie and those around the club have not half done well for the players we brought in over his period. Less than 500k (? - also not regarding money back to BCFC for clauses on Bolasie) spent but we must be well over 30 million on the likes of Bolasie, Murray, Jedinak..

Windsor_Eagle
10-08-2017, 09:42 AM
If he goes, then I will understand why.

Always sad to see one of the 'old guard' go, however.

nash84
10-08-2017, 09:43 AM

A legend will be someone who the fans will talk about for years to come. I think Joel Ward would always be remembered, talked about fondly but not particuarly a legend as such.

Zaha & Bolasie will be legends, Speroni, Jedinak even, unfortunately Ward has done his business to quietly and effeciently to generate enough opinion about him.

Big Gav
10-08-2017, 09:45 AM
I like Joel will be sorry to see him go but can understand why. Been a good player for us and seems like a nice bloke

SilentAssassin
10-08-2017, 09:46 AM
A legend will be someone who the fans will talk about for years to come. I think Joel Ward would always be remembered, talked about fondly but not particuarly a legend as such.

Zaha & Bolasie will be legends, Speroni, Jedinak even, unfortunately Ward has done his business to quietly and effeciently to generate enough opinion about him.

Totally agree, I think people will always speak highly of Joel here but given what he achieved here I can see why some people will put him in that band of players mentioned.

thomasbroad
10-08-2017, 09:47 AM
A couple of seasons ago he was knocking on the door of the England set up - shame he hasn't pushed on as much.

Thanks in part to Pardew...

gilesy14
10-08-2017, 09:52 AM
A couple of seasons ago he was knocking on the door of the England set up - shame he hasn't pushed on as much.

He's been great for us...but he was never close to the England set up.

costello
10-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Dependable, hardworking, very rarely injured. Can't believe some of you would be happy to let him go.

bigend1
10-08-2017, 09:56 AM
Really would prefer us to keep him at least until January incase 343 doesn't work so well and we need 4 at the back.

Solid rb. Yes limited going forward but anyone better at that we replace him with will very likely be the subject of abuse on here for being "a liability at the back" and "a defenders job is to defend first and foremost" etc.. those that do both are being sold for 50m!! A point ignored by the bbs

Was visibly frustrated under pardew. Got a nasty streak then a few times, lots of aggression which was something you don't associate with wardy. Back to a solid back four under sam, something that included ward in fine form but that too gets ignored by the haters.

Big fan of wardy, we'll miss him if he goes

10-08-2017, 09:58 AM
If the rumours are true, then despite more recent reservations, have to remember he has been near ever present (unlike some sick notes we have had) and instrumental in our back line, especially in our first couple of seasons following promotion.....

Squawka Football
@Squawka 2 years ago

Joel Ward has won the most tackles in the Premier League over the past 2 seasons

rambo1
10-08-2017, 10:00 AM

Absolutely.
Though he Might Not Fit the,3:4:3,System.
You Need the Players to Play a variety of Systems.

AJ
10-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Good pro, nice to hear of a player who actually wants to play rather than sitting on the sidelines and just picking up a big paycheck. I have criticized him a little over the past couple of seasons and he seemed to lose a bit of pace after that injury a while back, but I would rather he stayed.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
10-08-2017, 10:06 AM
If he was happy to sit on the bench he's exactly the type of player you'd be happy seeing come on with twenty to go away from home with something to hang on to. Just can't see him being happy with that. He must have made the highest number of PL appearances of any Palace player? Hard to go from that to getting splinters.

brighton_eagle
10-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Agree with that. He's never let us down and is a solid player for us week in week out. Would be a real shame if he left, although if he feels (or has been told) that he won't feature much as first choice I wouldn't begrudge him wanting to move on for regular football - he's a good enough full back to expect to be first choice for a lower premier league team.

Nigelbrag
10-08-2017, 10:08 AM
An honest whole heart'ed player that has never truly been appreciated on here, his true value to Palace will only be realised when he has left. It is possible we could get a more flamboyant RB, but finding a player that gives what he does to the Palace cause will be hard to find.

Skintagain
10-08-2017, 10:10 AM
What is this nonsense, he's a good player, Sanchez got sweet fa out of him when we played the Arse, not many RB's can say that. He's an important part of the back 4.

He'll never be a wing back he doesn't have the pace and won't fit into de Boer favoured system. Let's face reality though, Parrish gets us a new manager for Christmas every year and if Sammy Lee is still around or practically anyone else we'll need Ward for next great escape.

I'm not surprised if he's looking for a move but if he goes we may regret it by Christmas.

Martin H
10-08-2017, 10:11 AM
I seem to remember that when he first arrived it was strongly rumoured that he only intended to see his initial contract out and then move on. Despite that I think he renewed his contract. Can't remember why now - but I think it's something he let slip that was overheard. TBH a lot has happened since and he is married and an established Premier League player. During his time he has been probably one of our more professional professionals.

Jim Cannon
10-08-2017, 10:12 AM

He was nowhere near the England set up

brighton_eagle
10-08-2017, 10:13 AM
It does worry me that if we revert to a back 4 at any point and he's left, we only have a loan player and Kelly to play that position. We should do what we can to keep him IMO.

Hector
10-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Very Good defensive right back in a back 4. I imagine a team like West Brom would suit him. Shame if he goes but I can understand it as he's not a wing back and not good enough centre back.

TC EAGLE
10-08-2017, 10:14 AM
There is a snippet from a newspaper on HOL but it dont say what paper it is so could be BS

st albans
10-08-2017, 10:14 AM

He wants to leave, doesn't matter if we think he has to stay

jaspercpfc
10-08-2017, 10:15 AM

he's an Emsworth boy and still gets down to the south coast so could see this happening. A good pro who has served us well.

RisZero
10-08-2017, 10:17 AM
If he isnt going to start then out of respect to him let him go somewhere he will, served us well

bigend1
10-08-2017, 10:20 AM
So we offered him a four year deal. Frank must rate him then. Maybe things could change

Would be gutted to see him go back to pulis at West Brom. We'd regret letting him go there

Pete79
10-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Legend ? Come on

186 appearances for the club over five years.
Part of the promotion team of 2013.
Part of only the second Palace team to make an FA cup final.
Most premier league appearances of any Palace player past or present - 12680 minutes played, 3 goals and 4 assists.
Numerous goal saving interventions and top defensive performances in our record five year stay in the Premier league.
All for a reported 400,000, allowing us to spend the money elsewhere during the last five years.

What else could a defender reasonably do to be regarded as a club legend?

sherstonpalace
10-08-2017, 10:28 AM
186 appearances for the club over five years.
Part of the promotion team of 2013.
Part of only the second Palace team to make an FA cup final.
Most premier league appearances of any Palace player past or present - 12680 minutes played, 3 goals and 4 assists.
Numerous goal saving interventions and top defensive performances in our record five year stay in the Premier league.
All for a reported 400,000, allowing us to spend the money elsewhere during the last five years.

What else could a defender reasonably do to be regarded as a club legend?

Well said.

RisZero
10-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Would be gutted to see him go back to pulis at West Brom. We'd regret letting him go there

No disrespect to him, but I doubt Wilf is sweating at the thought

Bones14
10-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Don't want to sound cold and unnappreciatative, but times up I reckon. Solid pro and solid contributor. Best for both parties I feel.

Optimistic Kev
10-08-2017, 10:31 AM
There is a snippet from a newspaper on HOL but it dont say what paper it is so could be BS

It's in The Sun.

Cue people rubbishing it - but the Currant Bun has got a few things right about us recently. Notably the TFM 'exclusive'.

Thefunkymonk
10-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Love Joel ward.. but have a feeling he isn't pencilled in as starter.. he might not want that and that's fair enough.

Shipp Ahoy!
10-08-2017, 10:37 AM
He was nowhere near the England set up

Funny, that's not what then England Assistant Manager Ray Lewington told me...

Stinger1
10-08-2017, 10:41 AM
No surprise Pulis wants him. Think he'll be going.

West Bromwich Albion are ready to pounce on Joel Ward after the defender reportedly rejected a new four-year deal at Crystal Palace.

Ward, a mainstay of the Palace defence for the last five seasons, is understood to have knocked back a new contract at Selhurst Park.

The 27-year-old, who did not miss a single Premier League match last term, believes his game time will be limited under new boss Frank de Boer.

Ward fears he could be left out of the 3-4-3 formation the Dutchman is schooled in and wants to implement having trialled it throughout pre-season.

Tony Pulis knows Ward well from his time at Palace when he selected the former Portsmouth defender in every Premier League match after he took charge in November

Pulis is keen to bring in another "four or five players" to add to Jay Rodriguez and Ahmed Hegazi, signed last month.

The Welshman has made a centre-back and a central midfielder his main priorities.

But he knows he must also strengthen at full-back, where Albion have been criminally short in recent seasons.

Signing Ward, who has only one year left on his contract, would also free up Craig Dawson to play in his preferred position of centre-back.

Ward's incredible record of injury avoidance, 6ft 2ins presence and versatility are bound to encourage Pulis.

While predominantly a right-back, Ward can play anywhere across the back four and in midfield.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-rumour-west-brom-poised-13457097

red&blue_moomin
10-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Thing is we have 3 lbs now four players that can play rb Tomkins, Kelly, fm and ward also townshend and wan bissaka and maybe fm are looking like fdbs preferred rwb.

What I'm saying is he's no longer guaranteed first starter for the first time he has competition. Clearly he's not keen on it. He's also done more than enough to get picked up by another bottom half prem team so from joels pov it makes sense. Just watch Brighton or Bournemouth come in for him.

Popester
10-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Funny, that's not what then England Assistant Manager Ray Lewington told me...

He said the same to me. RL's reluctance to calling him up was how the media would react (which says a lot about the England set up).

bigend1
10-08-2017, 10:45 AM
No disrespect to him, but I doubt Wilf is sweating at the thought

Probabaly not but he wouldn't with many. Ward is better defensively than a lot of the rb's in the league

exiledeagle
10-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Ward's incredible record of injury avoidance, 6ft 2ins presence and versatility are bound to encourage Pulis.

We will miss him especially if we revert to 4 at back . Excellent professional and still decent enough for us .

RisZero
10-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Was a different player under Pulis, despite what some are saying I hope he does go there and finds another level for his sake

Zulu84
10-08-2017, 10:47 AM
An honest whole heart'ed player that has never truly been appreciated on here, his true value to Palace will only be realised when he has left. It is possible we could get a more flamboyant RB, but finding a player that gives what he does to the Palace cause will be hard to find.

I think you are wrong about him not being appreciated . he gets plenty of respect on the boards etc and any true Palace fan knows he has been nothing but a consummate professional. But that doesn't tape over the fact that he is a limited player for the modern game and seems to be getting more stretched by fast technical modern wing backs that run at him.

BadenEagle
10-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Good honest pro. Would like to see him on the right side of the back 3 - i.e. Ward / Dann / Riedewald. Has played CB before and would fit this position IMO

GreatGonzo
10-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Good honest pro. Would like to see him on the right side of the back 3 - i.e. Ward / Dann / Riedewald. Has played CB before and would fit this position IMO

But does he want to play that position?

wedgetail
10-08-2017, 10:52 AM
he's an Emsworth boy and still gets down to the south coast so could see this happening. A good pro who has served us well.

He is a Pompey fan not a weed.

GB2506
10-08-2017, 10:52 AM

FdB wants his back 3 to all be comfortable on the ball, sadly Joel Ward isnt.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
10-08-2017, 10:55 AM
He is a Pompey fan not a weed.

He's made 141 PL appearances in 4 seasons and is 27. He's not going to end up at Pompey.

Spindle
10-08-2017, 10:57 AM
He would go to Brighton but he knows that it would be tough to dislodge 36 year old World Class right back Bruno from the starting 11.

Joking aside it's understandable because I can't see him getting much of a sniff under fdb.

18m no less according to today's market......

Kirby
10-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Would be a real shame to see him go, but his chances are likely to be limited with TFM coming in.

Brilliant servant who filled Nathaniel Clyne's boots admirably.

Pete79
10-08-2017, 11:01 AM
18m no less according to today's market......

A 27 year old experienced premier league player with proven ability to help keep teams in the league and who can be relied upon to go toe to toe with players such as Hazard, Sanchez and Courtinho? The bidding surely starts at 20 million....

jmemour
10-08-2017, 11:01 AM
In a certain type of system he's excellent, unfortunately for him it's the not the system we want to play any more. Worry about us letting him go if we need to grind some results out at the back end of the season though. If I was a Burnley/Huddersfield/Brighton I'd take him.

andyocpfc
10-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Whilst looking for an image of he Watford Clearance, came across this so thought I'd share.

https://youtu.be/zFkxJoCiNoQ

RisZero
10-08-2017, 11:07 AM
Not letting myself guess the fee as I imagine ill be disapointed

Spindle
10-08-2017, 11:13 AM
A 27 year old experienced premier league player with proven ability to help keep teams in the league and who can be relied upon to go toe to toe with players such as Hazard, Sanchez and Courtinho? The bidding surely starts at 20 million....

Knocked off 7m because he only has 1 year left ;)

Love Joel, legend to me

Shipp Ahoy!
10-08-2017, 11:16 AM
He said the same to me. RL's reluctance to calling him up was how the media would react (which says a lot about the England set up).

Sounds like we had a pretty much identical conversation!

French Eagle
10-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Bad move. He's a class player that will be missed. At 27 he's just coming to his peak and will be a great buy for someone. Underrated on here like so many before who have been written off and have then gone on to better things elsewhere.

TWELLSEagle
10-08-2017, 11:20 AM
One of my favourite ever Palace players. Very decent right full back, very underrated and seems recently to have become something of a scapegoat to the idiotic contingent. I would like to keep him but I can understand why he'd want first team football, which we cannot guarantee him here. I will be concerned that he's our only out and out right back, other than a Man Utd loanee.

He's certainly a palace legend to me, but it's all subjective isn't it.

Purepalace
10-08-2017, 11:22 AM
http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/could-former-portsmouth-man-be-the-first-victim-of-frank-de-boer-s-new-crystal-palace-regime/story-30477147-detail/story.html

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/08/10/report-joel-ward-set-to-leave-crystal-palace-with-west-bromwich/

eagle mart
10-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Grrr . FDB forcing out Ward like Pardew did with Jedinak - dreadful and disgraceful treatment of our long standing player.

Or maybe he just doesn't see him in his plans?

Bounce back
Good lad , good luck

Worksop Palace
I really like Joel. Been a great servant to the club and his behaviour has been impeccable. I think he would be a very good squad player but if he wants first team football every week it won't be with us so respect his wish to move on if that's the case. He gave me one of my favourite away days at Palace in recent years scoring that diving header winner in front of us at SB.

Good luck Joel

McpfcS
10-08-2017, 11:27 AM
I think it's right for all parties that he moves on. He's not a RWB and there is no evidence to suggest he can play CB so his position is basically redundant. He is capable of playing regular first team football for a bottom six (or so) PL side at RB.

Martin H
10-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Grrr . FDB forcing out Ward like Pardew did with Jedinak - dreadful and disgraceful treatment of our long standing player.

That's a bit over the top isn't it?

DARZET EAGLE
10-08-2017, 11:31 AM

Indeed it is, has he not thought that Wardie is pressing for a move?

El Aguila
10-08-2017, 11:32 AM

That contract offer was particularly vicious, eh?

Gawkes
10-08-2017, 11:33 AM
Would be sad to see him go but if he see's his future elsewhere because our change of formation, then fair play.

Really hope we don't get our pants pulled down over the fee, even with one year left on his contract we should be looking at 10m minimum. Also shouldn't let him go before we have someone else lined up in a position we are desperate in.

Worksop Palace

An offer of a 4 year deal would suggest otherwise, no ?

SteveyHawking
He doesn't fit in the 3-4-3 formation so it's not surprising that he'll be off especially as he's in the last year of his deal with us.

Good luck to him if he does go - he's been a great servant for the club and a genuinely decent chap to boot by all accounts.

McpfcS
10-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Would be sad to see him go but if he see's his future elsewhere because our change of formation, then fair play.

Really hope we don't get our pants pulled down over the fee, even with one year left on his contract we should be looking at 10m minimum. Also shouldn't let him go before we have someone else lined up in a position we are desperate in.

Now we have Fosu-Mensah and Andros 'capable' of playing RWB I can't see how Joel would feature in any case so the back up would be unnecessary.

bigend1
10-08-2017, 11:34 AM

Woosh perhaps?

When you edit out the second line though..

A 4 year contract doesn't scream any forcing either way

Latvian Eagle
10-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Not sure Ward can play the RWB role but always thought he had something about him at least as cover in Central Midfield to be honest.

SilentAssassin
10-08-2017, 11:36 AM

Totally different scenario. We needed Jedi and Pardew's inability or blindness to replace him and Soaure most likely cost him his job in a formation that heavily relied on a capable defensive midfielder.

FdB on the other hand is changing our formation and it's entirely possible that Ward doesn't fit those plans, sadly or even Ward doesn't fancy playing in that formation, afterall it is rumoured that he rejected a deal.

Owngoal
10-08-2017, 11:41 AM

Offering a new four year contract is an odd way of forcing someone out?

From when he signed I remember that he was not keen to play CB which is where Pompey had played him. May just feel uncomfortable with the new proposed style of play. One of the great things about him is his lack of injuries which makes him and Wilf rare breeds at Selhurst.

vincentinbetwee
10-08-2017, 11:46 AM
Offered a four year deal but maybe it was a rubbish four year deal ?

adrenalin john
10-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Was immense for us during promotion/1st season in PL and has been mostly solid since but I think it's right for both parties to move on

Spot on. Always gives 100%. However is no wing back and has plateau-ed last couple of seasons could be best for both parties.

Would always get a great reception on his return. Could be a great signing for a Burnley type team

Chris Finch
10-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Offered a four year deal but maybe it was a rubbish four year deal ?

Could probably command 50-60k pw somewhere?
Doubt we would have offered that?

elgin eagle
10-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Always seems that way although never met him. Good luck to him, been a big big part in our progress.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
But he will know that in the new system he will probably be on the bench (at best) most of the time. I doubt he would want that, so may well want a move. And if we can raise funds by selling a squad player who wants to move on, it would be sensible from our perspective too.

CharlieCPFC
Totally different scenario. We needed Jedi and Pardew's inability or blindness to replace him and Soaure most likely cost him his job in a formation that heavily relied on a capable defensive midfielder.

FdB on the other hand is changing our formation and it's entirely possible that Ward doesn't fit those plans, sadly or even Ward doesn't fancy playing in that formation, afterall it is rumoured that he rejected a deal.

Exactly this.

Had Pardew signed Luka and even one of Schlupp or Van Aanholt he'd probably still be in charge.

EagleSE24
I'd keep him if possible. I can't see us doing enough business in the rest of window to both cover the gaps in the squad AND replace players like Ward. I don't imagine he'll get much playing time if first choice players stay fit, but without the likes of Ward, we'd be an injury crisis away from playing the U23s.

Zulu84
10-08-2017, 12:08 PM
When we inevitably resort back to 442 after Christmas we are going to need him

Worksop Palace
10-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Exactly this.

Had Pardew signed Luka and even one of Schlupp or Van Aanholt he'd probably still be in charge.

God what a thought :eek:

nicknackpalace
10-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Can understand if he wants to move on. Been a great professional. Not many p[l;ayers left now from the championshiup days. Personally I think the spell where he played in midfield wasnt good for him. Not as good a defender after that.

whereEaglesFly
10-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Arguably he doesn't fit in a 4-4-2 formation at a Prem club...

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
10-08-2017, 12:14 PM
Fosu-Mensah would probably start there anyway and Kelly or Tomkins add cover.

Zulu84
10-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Fosu-Mensah would probably start there anyway and Kelly or Tomkins add cover.

Ha, yea I know, I'm just being a smart ass

palacea
10-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Been a good servant, but ultimately won't be missed, in a position he probably should have lost a year or two back anyway.

eagle mart
10-08-2017, 12:32 PM
:D Was my thought.

My (little facetious) point was these players have the power, and fans blame whoever, depending on the direction of the wind. Jedinak was happy to go as he wasn't going to feature, much like Murray was. He sort Villa move the window before. Both were older players who needed to be playing and careers winding down. Jedinak was the Australian Captain - and would inevitably lose that on the bench or barely in the matchday squad. Despite whether we needed him in an emergency or not. Jedinak had a lot to offer (he and most people felt) and there was no room for him in our team, what with Cabaye a more capable passer given our tactics and that was that. What's more disgraceful, entrapping players who don't want to be bit part players or letting them go to flourish at the end of their careers elsewhere?

My point is also the fact that Ward is unlikely to play much this season, how would that go down after we've lost 5 on the trot and 3 of them at home. And if he doesn't want to sign a new contract then peoples unhappiness would be directed at FDB for 'treating him so badly'.

Ward probably sees his time here done, and I am sure a younger Murray, and Jedinak would have had contract extensions offered for sure - whether they would have accepted is another thing.

One thing is for sure ward, gayle, jedi, Delaney, et al, should ALWAYS be welcome back here. But I guess that goes without saying.

strawberry mivi
10-08-2017, 12:36 PM
He's only 27.
A real shame if he can't be persuaded to sign a new contract.
Who better do we have as a RB in a 442? - bear in mind we need 2 proper players per position.

McpfcS
10-08-2017, 12:39 PM
He's only 27.
Who better do we have as a RB in a 442? - bear in mind we need 2 proper players per position.

We don't play 4-4-2 and he's unlikely to want to sit on the beach for us.

TC EAGLE
10-08-2017, 12:41 PM
http://www.90min.com/posts/5378787-west-brom-ready-to-sign-joel-ward-after-he-rejects-new-contract?a_aid=41942

Chris K
10-08-2017, 12:42 PM
An excellent siging at 400k and great servant for us. However, I think he's hit a ceiling with us

mexicaneagle
10-08-2017, 12:44 PM

You mean we haven't played 442 so far in the few games since frank arrived. We need a squad that can play more than one formation

WLYWLYAWYPWF
10-08-2017, 12:45 PM

We don't for now. Who is to say we won't revert to a back 4 if the shit starts hitting the fan?

CharlieCPFC
10-08-2017, 12:45 PM
God what a thought :eek:

Terrifying

McpfcS
10-08-2017, 12:47 PM
We don't for now. Who is to say we won't revert to a back 4 if the shit starts hitting the fan?

We can't keep Joel and he won't want to stay on that basis. Tbh he's not the best RB even in a 4-4-2 and Mensah is likely an upgrade.

CPFC.1990
10-08-2017, 12:47 PM
A good solid player.

Shame some of our fans can't see the work he does. We're Crystal Palace FFS. How about some of our fans appreciate the people who got us to where we are.

McpfcS
10-08-2017, 12:50 PM
A good solid player.

Shame some of our fans can't see the work he does. We're Crystal Palace FFS. How about some of our fans appreciate the people who got us to where we are.

I think people do. That doesn't stop us identifying when a player is no longer good enough to play for us.

eagle mart
10-08-2017, 12:51 PM
An excellent siging at 400k and great servant for us. However, I think he's hit a ceiling with us

Bargain.

Get Freedman in as chief scout. (Or his scout)

little dedders
10-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Undoubtably we should try and keep him as a squad player but if he wants first team football then fair enough we should let him go. How people can slag him off as beyond me. One of the last players left from our promotion season and a great servant to the club

jimmy the gent
10-08-2017, 12:54 PM

What a snide comment.

RisZero
10-08-2017, 12:54 PM
A good solid player.

Be thankful for the past, see to the present, and plan for the future. Havent seen anyone saying he hasnt played a part in getting us here, but expecting a club to never improve on long-serving players, or even simply never see them leave, is naive.

in-exile
10-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Was told he was looking to leave before Allardyce came in as was dismayed with life under Pardew. So if he's not going to get a look in under FdB, can 100% see him moving on.The Players ALL hated the Twat Pardew.

in-exile
10-08-2017, 01:05 PM

Palace legend.This.... he's been first-class for us... Fantastic servant for the club.

penguin7
10-08-2017, 01:10 PM
I would certainly wish him well if he chooses to go. Always gave 100% even when he had to play on the left where he clearly was not comfortable. A few years ago I thought he may develop as a centreback, but he has not done so.

Does not have the pace needed as a wingback, but is competent enough on the right of a narrow back four, which would suit WBA.
Someone suggested we may get 10m for him, I doubt that.

sheepy
10-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Personally I'd hang on to him at least until January if possible to see how the 343 / FDB experiement works.

If we sell him now & the 343 goes down the pan to the point of needing to switch back to 433, I suspect it'll be harder to replace him in the RB role than some on here seem to imagine.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
10-08-2017, 01:17 PM
He's only 27.
Probably Fosu-Mensah (if he ever gets confirmed).

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
10-08-2017, 01:18 PM
Personally I'd hang on to him at least until January if possible to see how the 343 / FDB experiement works.

If we sell him now & the 343 goes down the pan to the point of needing to switch back to 433, I suspect it'll be harder to replace him in the RB role than some on here seem to imagine.
If Fosu-Mensah has signed or is about to, then we will have replaced him already.

Thanet Eagle
10-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Has done a good job for Palace . Can only see him as a back-up option under FDB.

in-exile
10-08-2017, 01:23 PM

If we sell him now & the 343 goes down the pan to the point of needing to switch back to 433, I suspect it'll be harder to replace him in the RB role than some on here seem to imagine. Exactly.. it's an experiment so far....Ward offers a PL Fullback with bags of experience.

CPFC.1990
10-08-2017, 01:24 PM
I think people do. That doesn't stop us identifying when a player is no longer good enough to play for us.

Who made you a football expert? What's your qualifications on judging players ability?

CPFC.1990
10-08-2017, 01:25 PM
Be thankful for the past, see to the present, and plan for the future. Havent seen anyone saying he hasnt played a part in getting us here, but expecting a club to never improve on long-serving players, or even simply never see them leave, is naive.

Not saying he shouldn't be upgrading upon, just think some of our fans have short memories.

in-exile
10-08-2017, 01:26 PM
A good solid player.

:p

S.P.R.
10-08-2017, 01:29 PM

We will not get any money for him though if we do that, he'll be able to sign a pre-contract with another club.

mrgins
10-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Didn't he play in every game last season? Can't be leaving because of playing time

Stavros 69
10-08-2017, 01:32 PM
I thought he would play as the RCB in a back 3. He's big enough to play there, but he's just not good enough on the ball to make that step up.

GreatGonzo
10-08-2017, 01:32 PM
Didn't he play in every game last season? Can't be leaving because of playing time

He will if he doesn't see himself playing this season and given pre-season it looks unlikely he will play much.

brooklynlou
10-08-2017, 01:35 PM

Last year of contract. Either he signs or we sell. :-/

eagleborn
10-08-2017, 01:36 PM

He isn't not good enough to play for us. He is excellent as a squad player. He is just not enough if we want to improve and progress. good luck finding anyone who is better to sit on our bench. I'd be sad if he went. Top pro.

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 01:47 PM
We will need him when FDB is sacked in December, bring in a firefighter and revert to 4-2-3-1 :-)

Stellavista
10-08-2017, 02:01 PM
We will need him when FDB is sacked in December, bring in a firefighter and revert to 4-2-3-1 :-)

That's my concern. :(

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
10-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Fosu-Mensah would play right back (if has signed), Kelly and Tomkins would offer cover.

SilentAssassin
10-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Fosu-Mensah would play right back (if has signed), Kelly and Tomkins would offer cover.

Worst case scenario we buy a player that wants to be here. Nothing to suggest we might not still do that with us reportedly in for Chambers - perhaps that was the 'congestion' Wenger was referring to in regards to Arsenal players being sold and may also be another reason why Ward wants out if he having to compete Chambers and Mensah for his position or the likes of Dann, Reidewald, Tomkins, Kelly, Delaney and even Mensah to slot in one of the three centre back postions.

bubbs11
10-08-2017, 02:15 PM

https://image.ibb.co/ivWjsF/IMG_3073.jpg

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Ha! I like that

Kidofwonder
10-08-2017, 02:28 PM
Joel Ward has been a terrific servant to Palace but we've moving past the point where he is good enough

4 cryingOutloud
10-08-2017, 02:29 PM

Go back to bed and get out the other side! :S::S::S:

Ifill Over
10-08-2017, 02:33 PM
He has been a good servant. Been steady. I feel he should of improved a lot more than he has. I am looking forward to a more dynamic player replacing him.

Kidofwonder
10-08-2017, 02:36 PM
I could see him ending up at Brighton

McpfcS
10-08-2017, 02:36 PM
Who made you a football expert? What's your qualifications on judging players ability?

God

I've also watched almost every game Joel has played for us which makes me (and others) pretty qualified I think.

McpfcS
10-08-2017, 02:38 PM
He isn't not good enough to play for us. He is excellent as a squad player. He is just not enough if we want to improve and progress. good luck finding anyone who is better to sit on our bench. I'd be sad if he went. Top pro.

What's the point of him sitting on our bench when we don't play with a RB?

4 cryingOutloud
10-08-2017, 02:43 PM

Pot - kettle - black.... :eek:

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 02:45 PM

Kelly and Tomkins aren't good at right back though. Fosu-Mensah maybe.

Owngoal
10-08-2017, 02:59 PM

I value his opinion far more than yours even if it is wrong, as do many on the BBS. Ward has been one of half a dozen players who has been a mainstay for the club. Has some poor games just like everyone but a real professional.

cantspell
10-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Sad day if wardy goes

Sir.S.C Remembered
10-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Would have been great competition for the Utd lad coming in. Top pro and was very impressive for the first few seasons in the prem. Seemed super fit which gave him the edge.

But his form has dropped for a prolonged period of time.

My other half quite fancies him too.

regal_eagle
10-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Spend all this time moaning about him, yet 5 years in and still no song.

PalaceSi
10-08-2017, 04:20 PM
I'd keep Wardy, the defence were all bad last season because of Pardew's lack of organisation and zero regard for practising defending at set pieces - 14 conceded from first 14 games from set plays.
Once Big Sam came in he looked a different player and he's still good. Selling him to Pulis for next to nothing is crazy, a big fat fee its a no brainer but it won't be.

thereichstuff
10-08-2017, 04:21 PM
Sad day if wardy goes to the weeds

Efa .

KP'S Nuts
10-08-2017, 04:25 PM
I think we need to see how our new look defence plays first It could be torn apart or look solid. i fear the whole team are not to sure how to play this new system.

aj4england
10-08-2017, 05:17 PM
I'd keep him until Christmas because I not at all sure that 343 will work . Kelly , Mutch , lee really need new homes.

TouchyAndalou
10-08-2017, 05:53 PM
I'd much rather we sold Damo or Kelly over Ward.Sell Delaney? Never. Wash your filthy mouth out with soap and water please.

Damo can stay until the age of 57 if he wants to (If he's not that old already)

BadenEagle
10-08-2017, 06:14 PM

Stockport_Eagle
10-08-2017, 06:16 PM
We can't keep all the same players but get better...some well thought of players will have to move on.

If Ward goes it'll feel a bit like a tipping point though, the promotion team will be history and a new era of unknown will be upon us...whatever that may bring.

GB2506
10-08-2017, 06:19 PM

FdB wants his back 3 to be comfortable on the ball. Joel is like a rabbit in headlights when in possession

New LP
10-08-2017, 06:21 PM

He's a traditional style right back not a wing back who can get up and down the pitch.

Mr Palace
10-08-2017, 06:50 PM
Sell Delaney? Never. Wash your filthy mouth out with soap and water please.

:D

I agree it will be a dark day

cdm61
10-08-2017, 07:08 PM
He will go to West Brom

exiledeagle
10-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Not sure FDB comment that defenders today need to be quick mobile & athletic will encourage Ward Dann Tomkins Delaney Kelly !

The Drive Man
10-08-2017, 09:14 PM
A good solid player.

This!

Wycombe Eagle#2
10-08-2017, 09:25 PM
I'd keep Wardy, the defence were all bad last season because of Pardew's lack of organisation and zero regard for practising defending at set pieces - 14 conceded from first 14 games from set plays.
Once Big Sam came in he looked a different player and he's still good. Selling him to Pulis for next to nothing is crazy, a big fat fee its a no brainer but it won't be.

Agree with this. Once BFS arrived we saw a Ward we all remembered, he was solid and reliable. I still think he has something to offer. I actually think he could do a job filling in as a RWB.

When people talk about wing backs you obviously have to have a big engine and a mix between attacking and defending. For me though to play that position you need good defending attributes which ward would have. We actually have 2 ideal wing backs, unfortunately their both left footed in PVA & Schulpp.

Seanee Pawnee
10-08-2017, 09:27 PM
He's a stalwart no doubt. Played every league game last season.

Dave Hedgehog
10-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Ward has played more than 150 games for Palace during one of our most successful spells. He was alongside Damo, Jedi, Speroni and Wilf at the Play Off final and has been first-choice right-back throughout the ups and downs of the Premier League.

So consistent over the years, so hard working and honest.

Deserves massive respect from the Palace faithful, if he does move on.

in-exile
10-08-2017, 09:36 PM
I see the European Super League ready North stand chat wankers don't think he would be good enough for them..... Laughable mugs!

Martin H
10-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Not sure FDB comment that defenders today need to be quick mobile & athletic will encourage Ward Dann Tomkins Delaney Kelly !

He is right though. Don't think Ward or Kelly are slow though. Tomkins is faster than the other two.

Lords Eagle
11-08-2017, 07:29 AM

100% agree with this

HorleyStu
11-08-2017, 07:39 AM
Has been a great player for us, but I'm afraid to say, NOT in the last 2 seasons though.

IMO - losing him would not be disaster, he is losing pace and was often caught out of position last season and a liability at times.

Thanks Joel, but time to move on.

Stavros 69
11-08-2017, 07:55 AM
The problem is he only wants to live on the south coast. Can see Southampton coming in for him. Maybe Bournemouth?

sylvan eagle
11-08-2017, 08:03 AM
The problem is he only wants to live on the south coast. Can see Southampton coming in for him. Maybe Bournemouth?

I thought he lived in battersea

Happy Arthur
11-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Part of our success deserves a big pay packet somewhere.

elgin eagle
11-08-2017, 08:05 AM

He'd never join Southampton.

Latvian Eagle
11-08-2017, 08:21 AM
He'd never join Southampton.

Trouble is if he does only want to live on the South coast he hasn't got many options.

Portsmouth - Too low a level and couldn't afford him.
Southampton - Pompey rivals, couldn't see it.
Brighton - Our rivals, as above.
Bournemouth - Maybe if they were interested but not sure they are.

There isn't anyone else is there?

Martin H
11-08-2017, 08:29 AM
Has been a great player for us, but I'm afraid to say, NOT in the last 2 seasons though.

IMO - losing him would not be disaster, he is losing pace and was often caught out of position last season and a liability at times.

Thanks Joel, but time to move on.

Do you really think he is losing pace? He is only 28 which is hardly past it. I can't say that I have noticed him slowing down at all. He has good stamina (better than most).

His strengths are defensive and flexibility at the back and the further forward he is the less effective he is. He is almost certainly a better defender than Schlupp, PVA and probably Souare. If there is a question I think it would be that as the right sided defender (RB/RWB) has increasingly become key to the attack there may be better options. I don't think he is our 'big problem'. At his age I can't blame Joel if he wants to be playing rather than as backup. I would rather we kept him in the squad and I guess FDB does too as he has been offered a good length contract.

Billyd
11-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Was excellent under BFS. If his name was Joelinio Warquerz people would be singing his praises.

mushroom
11-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Was excellent under BFS. If his name was Joelinio Warquerz people would be singing his praises.

When asked to be a defensive fullback he is prem standard. When asked to be a attacking full back, his game suffers. I think he can play centre back... he played there for Pompey.

GB2506
11-08-2017, 08:41 AM
When asked to be a defensive fullback he is prem standard. When asked to be a attacking full back, his game suffers. I think he can play centre back... he played there for Pompey.

He probably could play there but not in the prem.

JackTheBiscuit
11-08-2017, 08:43 AM

He was - and also under Pulis. He is a solid defensive right back in a traditional back four, but we are playing a different system now and his weaknesses (pace, comfort on the ball) are more exposed.

I'd certainly want to keep him in the squad as he can provide cover in a variety of positions, he's a good pro and knows what the club is about. However, I can certainly see the attraction of West Brom who have an ageing back four and play a style that suits him perfectly.

elgin eagle
11-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Trouble is if he does only want to live on the South coast he hasn't got many options.

• Portsmouth - Too low a level and couldn't afford him.
• Southampton - Pompey rivals, couldn't see it.
• Brighton - Our rivals, as above.
• Bournemouth - Maybe if they were interested but not sure they are.

He could move to France and get a boat?

strawberry mivi
11-08-2017, 08:50 AM
I wonder what this thread will be like after the Huddersfield game, if a Palace back 3 are pulled all over the place and it just doesn't work?

Kevlon
11-08-2017, 08:52 AM
I thought he lived in battersea

He does, Clapham/Battersea.

N Herts Eagle
11-08-2017, 09:09 AM
I wonder what this thread will be like after the Huddersfield game, if a Palace back 3 are pulled all over the place and it just doesn't work? The change in style has certainly got a mixed reception but its also added excitement expectation to the new season.
Joel though is the victim of the change defensively he is a good Premiership right back but in the new system he struggles to command a place being neither a Premiership centre half in a 3-4-3 or a RWB.
If the new system fails and we go back to 4-3-3 he is ready made for the RB role so I think he will stay. The thing to watch for is how we approach games in the first six games is there flexibility between the two systems. Do we for instance go to Liverpool and play 4-3-3 and say against Man City. Looking at the games in the championship last weekend a number of sides played 3-4-3 so we are not alone in trying it. Just think we have a manager who has been very professional on how we have adopted it. Sam tried it at Man City a number of injuries and it was thought it added strength to the defence and it was a disaster looking at the pre season games the lessons learnt were obvious . Its a different game for centre halfs where as AT was blamed at Man City was it the centre half who should of cut out the ball or the defensive midfielder.
I can understand why Joel may want to move in the new system his game time right now seems limited and its one last move at the top level. His problem is it may be limited to his ability to play only the RB role if other sides adopt 3-4-3 I would suggest the answer is wait see what happens and if the system works let him go in January.

Jacko1
11-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Think it would be very unwise to get rid of him. As a couple have mentioned already, if the dutch revolution doesn't work we will need him!

Regardless of that I still think he should get some game time this year, but only against the big boys when, I assume, we will go back to a 4-5-1 and have to sit back. Really can't see us playing 3 at the back against top 6, don't see the advantages of that.

gold76
11-08-2017, 09:18 AM
I imagine that Pulis would probably be a likely destination if he does leave. With Fosu-Mensah arriving, his departure would make some sense.

Anyone know how long he has left on his deal?

12 months I believe, signed a 3 year deal in 2015

Wouldn't begrudge him a move, has been a very good servant and would be a bargain for someone

gold76
11-08-2017, 09:19 AM

I did think this tbh, Bruno is what 35/36?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
11-08-2017, 09:20 AM

Portsmouth - Too low a level and couldn't afford him.
Southampton - Pompey rivals, couldn't see it.
Brighton - Our rivals, as above.
Bournemouth - Maybe if they were interested but not sure they are.

Bristol City could just about be doable. But anyway, how do we know he only wants to live on the south coast? I'll go and read the other posts.

East-End Eagle
11-08-2017, 09:24 AM
Been excellent for us. Always been a fan. Dedicated to the cause and a decent person.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
11-08-2017, 09:25 AM
Don't understand those saying we'll need him if we return to a back 4. Fosu-Mensah would still be ahead of him for the right back spot and I don't think he'll want to play second fiddle. In that instance we would still have Kelly and Tomkins to cover that position.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
11-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Sell Delaney? Never. Wash your filthy mouth out with soap and water please.

What is he now? 47?

BaldEagle96
11-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Will always have a soft spot for him for his headed clearance off the line in the play off final with only minutes to go.

However, feel it would not be the end of the world if he goes as too many times recently thought he was not up to it, Good back up player but if he feels that he could do better elsewhere then good luck to him.

RisZero
11-08-2017, 12:58 PM
Managers comments:

Speaking today at his lunchtime press conference ahead of Saturday's game with Huddersfield Town, de Boer said: "Joel Ward is an example for a club like Crystal Palace.

"He always gives 200 per cent and every manager wants that type of player in the squad."

Imagine he is no longer first team

pardew's shorts
11-08-2017, 02:18 PM
90% more than most players - fair play to JW.

NorthPalace23
11-08-2017, 06:09 PM
The problem with this new formation is that if it doesn't work we might not have the players to switch back to our previous system.

I'm concerned decent players like Ward and Tomkins will leave if not picked.

Lets not forget the likes of Loftus Cheek and Fosu Mensah will be off if they do well next season. We need to be retaining people contracted to our club, especially good solid professionals.

Martin H
11-08-2017, 06:29 PM
We just offered him a 4 year contract. Isn't that trying to retain him?

DARZET EAGLE
11-08-2017, 06:53 PM
We just offered him a 4 year contract. Isn't that trying to retain him?

Of course Martin, but were the terms attractive?

Martin H
11-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Of course Martin, but were the terms attractive?

LOL - HTF do I know. But if you didn't want him to stay you wouldn't offer 4 years and so I would think so. I think it all depends on what you want to believe I guess. No one on here has a clue.

BillyTKid
11-08-2017, 07:24 PM
If he won't sign a new contract then we need to sell. He gives his all but my opinion is he is a borderline line premier league / champ player. We will see if I am right with the teams that come in for him.

DARZET EAGLE
11-08-2017, 10:05 PM
LOL - HTF do I know. But if you didn't want him to stay you wouldn't offer 4 years and so I would think so. I think it all depends on what you want to believe I guess. No one on here has a clue.

Good point, I wasn't suggesting that you know details of his contract offer unless you hypnotised Phil Alexander.:p

DARZET EAGLE
11-08-2017, 10:09 PM
I guess Wardy is nervous about FDB's plan to play three at the back. He doesn't really have the pace to play as a wing back.

Martin H
11-08-2017, 10:54 PM
I guess Wardy is nervous about FDB's plan to play three at the back. He doesn't really have the pace to play as a wing back.

Probably. Someone said they had heard a whisper at the eof last season - so maybe BFS/LFS didn't fancy him either. I always remember that when he arrived it was strongly rumoured that he saw this as a short term step. But TBH its difficult to tell what's real and made up. Someone told me Trump was the US President - LOL - as if......

averity
11-08-2017, 11:07 PM
He might want a pay day. And seeing as he is one of our weaker team members doubt he got massive offer

RisZero
12-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Starts over Townsend today (unless you still swear blind that Townsend isnt being pushed into RWB, in which case Loftus Cheek starts over him)

RisZero
12-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Sell :clown:

Beneaglee
12-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Fish out of water.

bigend1
12-08-2017, 03:28 PM
Sign the deal. Three at the back isn't working

Gyro1780
12-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Very good tackle from Ward after he lost the ball but should be no more than a squad player. Needs replacing along with Puncheon.

Malarkey
12-08-2017, 04:23 PM
A problem that needs to be resolved ASAP. If he's gonna go, replace him. Can't have this shit weighing on our minds.

Thefunkymonk
12-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Terrible today

glayzier
12-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Wouldn't expect him to be anything other than terrible....he's only been a wingback for 3 weeks !!!

GB2506
12-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Wouldn't expect him to be anything other than terrible....he's only been a wingback for 3 weeks !!!

He hasn't even been a wingback for 3 weeks. Townsend has played pretty much every minute in pre season at RWB!

Sleeping Giant
12-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Saying Ward was terrible is like putting Speroni up front and then saying he is rubbish. Joel is a right back when there are 4 at the back and that is it. How effective that is depends on what you've done with other positions. He is a solid player in the squad when we play to ur strengths. Mind you it might be a long time before we do that.

Yoda
12-08-2017, 05:02 PM
I don't often quote Lineker but he has made a relevant comment in the past, that it's hard enough playing in the Prem in your best position, it's really tough to learn a new role whilst in the Prem.

I think we saw that today. The question is, do you persevere with the belief that it'll all come good in the end?

cantspell
12-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Agree Yoda - a solid right back but not a wing back

Malarkey
12-08-2017, 05:14 PM
Too slow

burgess hill 84
12-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Not his fault. His not a wing back. De boer is to blame.

mb23
12-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Not his fault. His not a wing back. De boer is to blame.

Yep. If Townsend wasn't fit enough to start (which is apparently the reason but I don't really get it), then FdB should have gone 4-3-3. Still wouldn't have included Ward (TFM as RB instead), but would have been better for the players we had available.

Stavros 69
12-08-2017, 09:38 PM
#weaklink

Mr Palace
12-08-2017, 09:40 PM
Felt bad for him today. So out of his comfort zone at right wing back and then FDB amazingly didn't change it. Criminal management.