PDA

View Full Version : Going to my first game tomorrow- what should I know?

intheusa
11-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Going to the Huddersfield game.

Never been to a Palace game or an English soccer game for that matter. Anything I need to know.

Also I'm trying to get to the Olympic Stadium afterwards via train by 8pm. Should that be a problem?

Mad Max
11-08-2017, 06:40 PM
After the game go to Norwood Junction station and get a train to London Bridge once there get an eastbound Jubilee line Underground train to Stratford,you should be there by 6pm.Plenty of time to get something to eat in the Westfield shopping centre.

Dorking .Eagle
11-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Enjoy the Mo Farah and Usain Bolt show.

LN1
11-08-2017, 06:47 PM
Just don't ever call it Soccer ! :)

Afterwards walk to Norwood Junction railway station (10 mins) take a London Overground service to Canada Water station then go down the stairs and take the tube (Jubilee Line) to Stratford (end of the line) and walk another 10 minutes to the stadium. In all about an hours journey.

Baffled Bob 2
11-08-2017, 06:48 PM

Never been to a Palace game or an English soccer game for that matter. Anything I need to know.

Also I'm trying to get to the Olympic Stadium afterwards via train by 8pm. Should that be a problem?

Hope you have a great day! :hi:

Joe85
11-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Prepare to be disappointed.

Mad Raschic Ken
11-08-2017, 07:46 PM

Drink plenty of beer before the game. It numbs the pain.

in-exile
11-08-2017, 07:48 PM
Don't eat the food in the ground if you want to live...... To be fair the pies are good.

brooklynlou
11-08-2017, 07:51 PM
Is the Victory Club on Selhurst still open on match days?

Salad_Burnet
11-08-2017, 07:52 PM
If you start feeling self-conscious, resist the temptation to join in with the chants. You'll just bring attention to yourself and potentially make things worse.

Plenty of local fans don't sing or do anything, so play it cool.

averity
11-08-2017, 07:54 PM
First 45 you might think to yourself what's all the fuss about. Then when the final whistle goes you will think, I wonder if the box office is open to get another ticket! ;) up the palace! Coyp,

Jim Cannon
11-08-2017, 07:57 PM
Just to make it clear, don't call it SOCCER

in-exile
11-08-2017, 07:58 PM
If you start feeling self-conscious, resist the temptation to join in with the chants. You'll just bring attention to yourself and potentially make things worse.

Plenty of local fans don't sing or do anything, so play it cool. Speak for yourself...I go crazy apeshit at every game.

PalaceForever
11-08-2017, 08:02 PM
No tips here, just relax and enjoy, I still remember my first game fondly (even though it was a very dull 0-0).

If we win, you're obviously a lucky charm and you'll have to go every week.

Jim Cannon
11-08-2017, 08:03 PM
No tips here, just relax and enjoy, I still remember my first game fondly (even though it was a very dull 0-0).

If we win, you're obviously a lucky charm and you'll have to go every week.

And if we lose, don't come back:D

Ninjas Headband
11-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Ignore Salad Burnet, he's an idiot. Join in the chants as much as you like.

Supporting Palace is all about being a part of the atmosphere. No one will notice if you get some of the words wrong.

King William
11-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Under no circumstances refer to it as soccer

Ninjas Headband
11-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Also get a beer after the game so that the crowds disperse before you get a train from Norwood Junction back into Central London. I'd recommend the Red & Blue Bar at the top of the Holmesdale Stand. Will give you a chance to speak to other fans about the game/all things Palace.

Ninjas Headband
11-08-2017, 08:09 PM
ps, Call it football.

LN1
11-08-2017, 08:59 PM
Unlike the Scandinavian father and son in the queue for the Arthur Wait just ahead of me last year, you do not need to present your passports at the turnstiles.

intheusa
12-08-2017, 03:25 AM
Prepare to be disappointed.

You all have already taught me this. Last year after the good start there was talk of Pardew managing England. I remember thinking, "they're getting lucky scoring goals, they may go down."

My apologies for referring to it as soccer.

Can I bring a backpack to the match? I cover athletics for a job and need my chromebook at the Olympic Stadium and it would save me time if I don't have to go back to where I'm staying to pick it up.

Also, it looks like I have an extra ticket. Anyone want it?

As for the passport thing I assumed I needed ID as with the tickets it says they check ID.

Eagle Kneevil
12-08-2017, 04:10 AM
Look for Jesus in the centre circle.

Far East Eagle
12-08-2017, 04:41 AM
As for the passport thing I assumed I needed ID as with the tickets it says they check ID.

He just meant at the gate going in you won't have to show it to a steward but for picking up the tickets at the box office, if that's your id then defo take it :p

hughff
12-08-2017, 04:48 AM
Learn the words to Glad All Over. Hopefully, you'll sing it half a dozen times at least.

mroakley9
12-08-2017, 04:49 AM
Take a flare and let it off near some children

East-End Eagle
12-08-2017, 05:04 AM
Do not go to the "toilet" if you are sitting in the Arthur wait.

Sick Bucket
12-08-2017, 05:28 AM

Put that on the tickets thread on here and someone will snap it up almost immediately.

Some good advice on this thread so far.

Where are you sitting? If you're in the Arthur Wait get there reasonably early, not enough entrances so if you turn up at 2.45 probably you'll miss kick off.

As for your Chromebook I think you should be alright but I'm not 100% sure I'd try to check with the club if possible, trying calling first thing this morning.

Ardent Eagle Forever
12-08-2017, 05:34 AM
After the game go to Norwood Junction station and get a train to London Bridge once there get an eastbound Jubilee line Underground train to Stratford,you should be there by 6pm.Plenty of time to get something to eat in the Westfield shopping centre.

Realistically say by seven pm.

Ninjas Headband
12-08-2017, 06:24 AM
You all have already taught me this. Last year after the good start there was talk of Pardew managing England. I remember thinking, "they're getting lucky scoring goals, they may go down."

Can I bring a backpack to the match? I cover athletics for a job and need my chromebook at the Olympic Stadium and it would save me time if I don't have to go back to where I'm staying to pick it up.

I'll buy the spare ticket if it's going spare.

PoshPalace
12-08-2017, 06:40 AM
Sounds like you've got a great day lined up. Just soak up the ambience. A few things to look out for:

1. The Holmesdale fanatics have a display lined up for when the teams come out. Worth seeing.

2. The referee today is widely regarded as slow, fat and error-prone. Don't be surprised by some of the abuse he'll get.

3. It's Huddersfield's first game in the top flight for 45 years. Some of their fans might appear a bit 'over-enthusiastic'

4. We usually lose 0-1 to a late scrappy goal on opening day so don't set your expectations too high.

Enjoy!

Dunkie
12-08-2017, 06:43 AM
Don't feel intimidated and take a passive approach to your support. I would suggest standing up shortly after kick off and trying to engage the nearby fans in a rousing rendition of 'Good ol' Sussex by the sea'. You will soon find yourself the centre of attention with neighboring fans even climbing over seats to join you.

Robin
12-08-2017, 06:54 AM
Sit down watch the game and don't annoy everyone behind you by standing up all the time.

elgin eagle
12-08-2017, 06:54 AM
I'll buy the spare ticket if it's going spare.

Don't forget to remind him that it's not called soccer.

Nelson Muntz
12-08-2017, 07:00 AM
Just take a second or two to think about the fact you are seeing Wilf Zaha & Julian Speroni in real life.

PauLo
12-08-2017, 07:06 AM
It's customary to whip your cock out to the security guards at every opportunity.

PauLo
12-08-2017, 07:12 AM
If you see any fans with a rivals shirt on, always give them a slight punch on the nose. Even if it's a kid. They'll know what it means.

st albans
12-08-2017, 07:12 AM
We did the trip from the London stadium to Selhurst last Saturday. Took less than an hour

PauLo
12-08-2017, 07:15 AM
Make sure you shave off one eyebrow before you leave. Every good, honest Palace fan will have done the same, so you don't want to stick out too much.

PauLo
12-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Remember to bring at least a dozen root vegetables to give out to the ball boys for whenever they touch the ball. It's a recent law that was introduced so they don't go hungry during the game.

mroakley9
12-08-2017, 07:19 AM
I really hope you brought your American flag to wave at the match. The fans around you will probably join in in a rendition of 'America the Beautiful' if you get it started, as well.

Dunkie
12-08-2017, 07:26 AM
If your neighbouring supporters seem reluctant to join you in your choice of song (Red, Red Robin is another suggestion), then just stand up, adopt a nonchalant shrugging gesture and encourage them by shouting 'Come on. Which one of you Nigels is first'.

PauLo
12-08-2017, 07:28 AM
Learn the chant "The referee is very confused", sung in the tune of Mozarts Symphony no. 14.

costello
12-08-2017, 07:35 AM
Buy a Palace shirt that's five sizes too small for you. It will stop you from standing out.

CPFC_Fan
12-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Whenever you hear the world "Eagles" it is customary to flap your arms like a bird and squawk. Now let's be clear that does include in the pubs pre game AND in the stadium at all times.

PauLo
12-08-2017, 09:42 AM
Take as many elastic bands as possible and pass them out to everyone around you. You'll make loads of friends.

PauLo
12-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Whenever you see a Seagull fly over the ground, you have to stand up and shout "LOOK AT THE SEAGULL" over and over for a minute. Don't worry, everyone else will be doing the same.

PauLo
12-08-2017, 09:45 AM
And for god sake, don't forget your assless chaps. Everyone wears them and you will be humiliated if you don't.

elgin eagle
12-08-2017, 09:46 AM
Everyone wears K Swiss trainers. Make sure you don't fall foul of etiquette laws.

PauLo
12-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Everyone wears K Swiss trainers. Make sure you don't fall foul of etiquette laws.

Very important one, this.

LN1
12-08-2017, 09:50 AM

I often take a large tablet in a shoulder bag and never had problems as the searches mainly seem concerned with bringing drinks (alcohol) in. Never been asked for ID especially now as it a bar code reader to activate the turnstile, it would only be needed if there is an issue if say duplicate tickets had been printed. Probably best to eat before you go in but some parts of the ground can be okay to order beer (Holmesdale, Main Stand). The seats will have you never complaining about Low cost airlines again if you are of a well built stature. Finally cheer on the red and blue (refrain from saying 'Well done old chap') although the other team really will be 'Rotten scoundrels' if they score ! Have a good day ITU

CPFC since 1989
12-08-2017, 09:56 AM
You'll love it.

Dunkie
12-08-2017, 09:57 AM
Don't restrict your selfie taking and singing to the stands; why not join Benteke in the penalty area for an action-selfie. Then maybe stand in front of the Holmesdale and sing a Cantona song?

elgin eagle
12-08-2017, 10:00 AM
It's customary to shout 'allahu akbar' to hasten people in front of you in the toilet queue.

orp pisshead1
12-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Sounds like you've got a great day lined up. Just soak up the ambience. A few things to look out for:

1. The Holmesdale fanatics have a display lined up for when the teams come out. Worth seeing.

2. The referee today is widely regarded as slow, fat and error-prone. Don't be surprised by some of the abuse he'll get.

3. It's Huddersfield's first game in the top flight for 45 years. Some of their fans might appear a bit 'over-enthusiastic'

4. We usually lose 0-1 to a late scrappy goal on opening day so don't set your expectations too high.

Enjoy!

If sitting in the AW stand look to your left for suggestion 1 :p. Expect a defeat and your already proper Palace:D:p

orp pisshead1
12-08-2017, 10:13 AM
If your neighbouring supporters seem reluctant to join you in your choice of song (Red, Red Robin is another suggestion), then just stand up, adopt a nonchalant shrugging gesture and encourage them by shouting 'Come on. Which one of you Nigels is first'.

:supergrin:
Ignore this one 😂

Vince Hilaire's Afro
12-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Unlike the Scandinavian father and son in the queue for the Arthur Wait just ahead of me last year, you do not need to present your passports at the turnstiles.

You do at the Amex

CP-RJW
12-08-2017, 03:56 PM

Never been to a Palace game or an English soccer game for that matter.
Enjoy yourself mate? :D

Jim Cannon
12-08-2017, 04:25 PM
Sorry mate but this is all down to you

Terrace Bickle
17-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Only just discovered this thread and have been crying with laughter. If anything indicates to the OP why he should be supporting Palace it's this thread.