PDA

View Full Version : PL Transfer Window to shut before the season next year

danpalace07
14-08-2017, 09:07 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/14/transfer-revolution-window-shut-premier-league-season-starts/

Good.

spt1978
14-08-2017, 09:12 PM
:supergrin: How the hell are we going to cope with that.

trufan
14-08-2017, 09:14 PM
Will we be Premier League next summer?

Winny
14-08-2017, 09:15 PM
won't affect us as we won't be in the premier league fold next season

:p

prizesucker
14-08-2017, 09:16 PM
About damn time! (but as winny says, won't affect us)

racehorse-80s
14-08-2017, 09:16 PM
won't affect us as we won't be in the premier league fold next season

:p

It will if we are selling off our best players .

Kylie_Tracey
14-08-2017, 10:44 PM

try and do transfer dealings earlier in the pre season?

mcmean
14-08-2017, 10:46 PM
Good idea but needs to be implemented across Europe - otherwise they can see fill poach PL players with no way for PL teams replace them

danpalace07
14-08-2017, 11:05 PM
Good idea but needs to be implemented across Europe - otherwise they can see fill poach PL players with no way for PL teams replace them

Poach PL players? Who in Europe can afford PL wages?

PeterH
15-08-2017, 01:52 AM
I thought FIFA dictated this?

elgin eagle
15-08-2017, 03:13 AM
Good stuff (providing there are 3 worse sides in the league this season).

spt1978
15-08-2017, 07:20 AM
try and do transfer dealings earlier in the pre season?

:D good one.

RobertCPFC
15-08-2017, 08:15 AM
I thought FIFA dictated this?

If it happens it will be an agreement between Premier League sides but they can still sign and sell players in other leagues. Deadline day will still be the same for all other transfers and that would be unlikely to change. Jim White would not be happy.

Shipp Ahoy!
15-08-2017, 08:56 AM
Excellent, we do our business when we do because the best deals are available around deadline day (see Sakho last season).

This just means we don't have to wait until 3 weeks into the season before doing so.

BaldEagle96
15-08-2017, 09:00 AM

Not if the rules are we cannot sell them once the window shuts!

johnnytemper
15-08-2017, 09:21 AM
If it happens it will be an agreement between Premier League sides but they can still sign and sell players in other leagues. Deadline day will still be the same for all other transfers and that would be unlikely to change. Jim White would not be happy.

Jim might be alright with it - means that there'll be two deadline days for them to hype up?

Be interesting to see how the rule is worded. Either they'll ban all player registrations (except for free agents) after the start of the season or they'll just ban all inter-Premier League transfers after a certain date. That'd end the Sigurdsson/van Dijk situations that are currently going on at least.

The second option would probably be the wiser move - since the transfer windows are administered by UEFA, taking an example from this summer, the Premier League couldn't stop Barcelona still continuing to pursue Coutinho after the season started - and Liverpool would surely want to try to replace him if that happened. Continuing to allow transfers from outside the Premier League would allow that.

GreatGonzo
15-08-2017, 10:24 AM

Easily,

As the deadline approaches all clubs get their deals done. Bring the deadline forward, those deals will get done earlier.

The interesting part is that it will be PL only, so the rest of Europe can still sign players and i guess so can the Football League.

GreatGonzo
15-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Not if the rules are we cannot sell them once the window shuts!

Rules are only ever about registering players. Its why other leagues still sign PL players when our window is shut, Russia i think and certainly China are in that bracket.

GreatGonzo
15-08-2017, 10:28 AM
Jim might be alright with it - means that there'll be two deadline days for them to hype up?

Be interesting to see how the rule is worded. Either they'll ban all player registrations (except for free agents) after the start of the season or they'll just ban all inter-Premier League transfers after a certain date. That'd end the Sigurdsson/van Dijk situations that are currently going on at least.

The second option would probably be the wiser move - since the transfer windows are administered by UEFA, taking an example from this summer, the Premier League couldn't stop Barcelona still continuing to pursue Coutinho after the season started - and Liverpool would surely want to try to replace him if that happened. Continuing to allow transfers from outside the Premier League would allow that.

Easiest way is the PL rules regarding the 25 man squad. Just make the deadline for those as the night before the season starts.

Job done. Not signed before the opening game? Can't play until New Year.

brighton_eagle
15-08-2017, 10:57 AM
Easiest way is the PL rules regarding the 25 man squad. Just make the deadline for those as the night before the season starts.

Job done. Not signed before the opening game? Can't play until New Year.

So say next year we get to the start of the season, register our 25, which includes Wilf, play the first couple of games and then PSG come in for Wilf and he leaves. We can't replace him until January?

That's not going to work.

GreatGonzo
15-08-2017, 11:29 AM
So say next year we get to the start of the season, register our 25, which includes Wilf, play the first couple of games and then PSG come in for Wilf and he leaves. We can't replace him until January?

That's not going to work.

That is exactly what is being proposed and likely to be agreed. The mechanics of how it is actually done is all i was suggesting.

For once the power of the PL might be used for good because once the PL does it there will be more pressure for the Europe wide deadline to change as well.

Pat of the Palace
15-08-2017, 11:36 AM
Even more unfair on the playoff winners.

Nostrils
23-08-2017, 03:57 PM
This will help us out, we often have a dodgy start to the season. We look much more appealing when we're not on nil points two/three games into the season.

Ralph
24-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Even more unfair on the playoff winners.

Yes - imagine how much poorer and ill prepared Huddersfield would have looked in that first game of the season.

whereEaglesFly
24-08-2017, 10:00 AM
This would only be good for us if every league in Europe finished at the same time

Icy
25-08-2017, 11:38 AM
This would only be good for us if every league in Europe finished at the same time

The only European clubs signing prem players are the giants, and let's be fair they aren't coming in for any of our players (despite what we think of Wilf). More likely to damage the big clubs and work in our favor IMO.

Kirby
07-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Premier League clubs have unanimously voted to close the 2018 summer transfer window before the first game of next season.

The 2018 summer transfer window will close at 5pm on the Thursday before the start of the 18/19 campaign.

Even less time for us to get our shit together next year then. Excellent :supergrin:

fioreuk
07-09-2017, 01:25 PM
Even less time for us to get our shit together next year then. Excellent :supergrin:

If the shitfest we made of it this year doesnt stop up being there for the next :frown:

SilentAssassin
07-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Good news for us I think, if we remain in the league. I'm guessing that we were one of the few against this.

Kirby
07-09-2017, 01:26 PM
If the shitfest we made of it this year doesnt stop up being there for the next :frown:

:sob:

Ryan_the_eagle
07-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Seems counter intuative to me. Surely the reason behind this is to lower transfer fees, but this gives the opportunity for clubs to demand a ridiculous fee to English clubs whilst knowing they can offload the player after the closure of our window if needed.

Danny boy
07-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Good news if we stay up we might not waste the first three games of the season trying to get deals for cheaper.

SilentAssassin
07-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Seems counter intuative to me. Surely the reason behind this is to lower transfer fees, but this gives the opportunity for clubs to demand a ridiculous fee to English clubs whilst knowing they can offload the player after the closure of our window if needed.

Can't be many European clubs willing to spend as much as lower and mid Premier League clubs on players worthwhile who play in clubs outside the Premier League.

Leicester signing Adrien Silva for example, how many French, Italian, Spanish clubs be able to afford the fee outside the likes of PSG, AC Milian, Athletico etc etc and wouldn't be after a better class of player/would be able to fit such a player into their squads?

Scrumpy
07-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Less time to try and shift Jordon Mutch :(

adman50
07-09-2017, 01:53 PM
Bet Sky are pissed.

Crazy players can still be sold after really doesn't stop teams like PSG coming in and causing trouble.

GreatGonzo
07-09-2017, 01:55 PM

It doesn't matter how much time we have - we will always do it in the last few days! ;)

We needed a LB since last September, window opened on 2nd Jan and we still took 10 days to sign Schlupp ;)

The good thing is that it will all be done before the season starts and that is a HUGE step forward and what the general consensus on here and in other circles i discuss it has been for years!

Now it will be interesting to see if UEFA and/or other leagues follow suit.

GreatGonzo
07-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Good news for us I think, if we remain in the league. I'm guessing that we were one of the few against this.

Why do you think we were against it, especially as it was unanimous?

EDIT: I see BBC reporting it was not unanimous so not sure which source the OP used.

Watford were definitely one of those who were expected to vote against and i think Man Utd too.

SilentAssassin
07-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Why do you think we were against it, especially as it was unanimous?

EDIT: I see BBC reporting it was not unanimous so not sure which source the OP used.

Watford were definitely one of those who were expected to vote against and i think Man Utd too.

SP's programme notes for the Swansea game.

Shipp Ahoy!
07-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Pretty sure Steve Parish recently said he/we were against it as it will only be our league and only works if the rest follow suit.

Personally given how we seem to try to do all out business on deadline day the last couple of years - would rather it ended before the season started so we have everyone available! That said, didn't make much difference this season...

GreatGonzo
07-09-2017, 02:11 PM
SP's programme notes for the Swansea game.

Fair enough i have not seen those.

It will be interesting to see if Europe follows the PL lead. It didn't seem to be much of an issue that Spain and possibly another league closed on 1 Sep this year. Although 22 additional days is slightly different to 1.

tsunamiman
07-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Means people will have their actual teams in place for game 1.

Rather than having three games with players in the shop window and faking injuries to get a move.

mb23
07-09-2017, 02:27 PM

Rather than having three games with players in the shop window and faking injuries to get a move.

That will still happen if clubs from other leagues want PL players.

As a club who traditionally leaves its deals as late as possible, I can't see Parish and co being too happy about this. But if it means we actually have our squad in place for the first match of the season then I'm all for it. Will encourage the club to be more decisive.

If we stay up, of course.

Harry Holmesdale
07-09-2017, 02:30 PM
Yet rest of world can still sign any of our players right up until 31 August

This will still cause unrest and possibly see squads with more than 25 players trying to shift players post UK window but not being able to or having to accept low bids - or the PSG's coming in with massive bids for big players and clubs not selling / selling and then being short

Like has been said, appears to be counter-intuitive

popovic7
07-09-2017, 02:39 PM

Not true at all teams will still leave it til the last minute and would unlikely sign a player Thursday evening and put them straight in the squad for their opening game on Saturday.

Mixed feelings about this. Yes it will stop the circus for clubs like ours who's players don't attract much Interest from abroad but other clubs like Liverpool and arsenal will still have the likes of PSG and Barcelona trying to sign their players 3 weeks after our window has closed and unsettling players. For it to truly work all countries around Europe would need to adopt the same time frame and all sync our seasons up to make it fair for everyone, however this will never happen.

It also doesn't solve the real issue which is the price of transfer fees rising and the amount of money paid in agents fees.

tsunamiman
07-09-2017, 02:42 PM
The rest of the world/europe will follow suit soon IMHO.

Wandle_Eagle
07-09-2017, 02:43 PM

We'll be fine cos the Football League window is still open until 31st August :D

Windsor_Eagle
07-09-2017, 02:48 PM

Might not be PL - so maybe not! :supergrin:

Keith Powell
07-09-2017, 02:54 PM
Good decision by the premier league,not good for Parish though as he waits until the last minute to do any signings,he had said he was against the decision a few weeks ago.

GrayP41ace
07-09-2017, 02:58 PM
The rest of the world/europe will follow suit soon IMHO.

You can imagine the uproar were an English side, window closed, all signed up and ready to go, drawn against a Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter, PSG type club in the Champions League Qualifier after the window closes and a bid from them lands on the players agents door mat.......players head turned, doesn't play, makes life that little bit easier for them ay......

Woosie
07-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Palace voted against it according to the Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/07/revealed-clubs-outvoted-shutting-transfer-window-start-season/

Adlerhorst
07-09-2017, 05:07 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/07/revealed-clubs-outvoted-shutting-transfer-window-start-season/

Stands to reason. If we cannot buy a striker in a couple of months, you would think the last thing the club would want is a shorter window.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
07-09-2017, 05:08 PM

There's a surprise.

Malarkey
07-09-2017, 05:15 PM

We even lose that:D

Mr Palace
07-09-2017, 05:43 PM
This is great news and will surely suit a club like us who are incapable of doing our business before the season starts. I can't understand why we voted against it. Makes no sense. All it means is that the majority of business will be done on the last day as per usual but at least it's in advance of the season starting.

The whole thing is a sky wank fest so anything that dilutes that is alright by me.

Jim Cannon
07-09-2017, 05:45 PM

We might be in the championship mind

spike
07-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Surely the reason we voted against is that SP will now have to curtail his karaoke / yacht tour of the Med to focus on signing players.

Mad Raschic Ken
07-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Not surprised Palace voted against it, but as a fan I'm delighted with the result of the vote. If we stay up we've got no choice but to be organised before the season starts and that's a good thing!

beef
07-09-2017, 08:10 PM
I think it's a great decision. If we stay up we might be able to get our squad settled before losing three games! One thing that puzzles me though - why did Burnley abstain? Do they just not care?

Duffle Coat
07-09-2017, 08:16 PM
Bonkers decision imho. Mind you the PL might not be the preferred destination next season. We'll see.

Stellavista
07-09-2017, 08:18 PM
I've found the reason Palace voted against.....

Giuseppe Marotta, the director general of Italian champions Juventus, backed the decision by Premier League clubs and said he wants Serie A to follow suit.

He said it was "a decision that I had been waiting for," while Roma sporting director Monchi also said the move was a "right and logical decision".

"The Premier League's decision to end the transfer window early is wise. Now we have to extend the discussion to a European level," Marotta said.

"It's the right choice. Having such a long transfer window creates turmoil, a well-run club succeeds by planning out a transfer campaign."

GreatGonzo
07-09-2017, 08:22 PM

That article also presents a pretty positive view that the rest of Europe will follow, even proposing a deadline 10 days earlier.

PeterH
08-09-2017, 12:36 AM
It's better if all agree to it across Europe. I suspect if deadline day is pre-season in England then European clubs can't buy players from English clubs either. Make sure that loans are not allowed or other dodgy agreements like paying off contracts and allowing players to leave on a free with a payment to be made in January.

Needs to be a cast iron shut window with bars across it.

PeterH
08-09-2017, 12:37 AM
I'd love to here our Club's rationale as to why they voted against.

Next podcast chaps - difficult questions to the chairman - no fawning please.

EnglandEagle
08-09-2017, 01:46 AM
Weren't they these transfer windows designed with the globalisation of the game in mind. If that is now no longer happening then let's go the whole hog and revert to one transfer deadline in April, designed purely to prevent clubs going for the title or going to the cup final buying an advantage. This would prevent the stockpiling of players and allow budgets to be concentrated on fewer better quality players thus improving the overall a quality of first teams and match day squads.

Or would that be just too much like common sense?

hughff
08-09-2017, 04:02 AM
Once upon a time I wouldn't have believed that the people who ran English football would be so crazy as to do this and that the fans wouldn't have been stupid as to accept it. Now I realise that neither of those things are true.

sheepy
08-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Think this is a terrible idea tbh and I suspect the offshoot will be managers being tapped up while we're in the business end of the season as clubs cant afford to wait a couple of weeks to put their new manager in place.

Can you imagine the impact of Allardyce negotiating his next job while we were gearing up to play Hull?

Can also see this leading to more and more panic buys while young players get less of a chance to shine in pre-season games.

Edit: also not sure of the wisdom of doing this in a World Cup summer. Suspect you'll find the number of players negotiating transfers while they should be focused on the next game increases.

Kirby
08-09-2017, 08:21 AM

Sky Sports News.

eddieskyclad
08-09-2017, 11:36 AM
It's ridiculous to shorten the transfer window in England while it remains open in France and Spain. Surely the clubs could've just had an agreement where they wouldn't raid each other after the season but could still buy/register players.

Some random dude from Syria has a great World Cup. English clubs have a few weeks to buy him and will have to pay significantly over the odds... Spanish teams would just sit and wait it out, making it clear to the player if he waits they'll sign him without the English competition. We already have experience of how difficult it can be to get rid of deadwood... if a club has more players than it needs at the start of the season Spain and France will offer way under the odds and clubs might be desperate to get rid. Big offers come in for a player after the season starts and you can't replace him. There's no way Spain would agree to this.

Premier league shooting itself in the foot. Sounds good on paper but is plainly ridiculous...

SilentAssassin
08-09-2017, 11:48 AM
It's ridiculous to shorten the transfer window in England while it remains open in France and Spain. Surely the clubs could've just had an agreement where they wouldn't raid each other after the season but could still buy/register players.

Some random dude from Syria has a great World Cup. English clubs have a few weeks to buy him and will have to pay significantly over the odds... Spanish teams would just sit and wait it out, making it clear to the player if he waits they'll sign him without the English competition. We already have experience of how difficult it can be to get rid of deadwood... if a club has more players than it needs at the start of the season Spain and France will offer way under the odds and clubs might be desperate to get rid. Big offers come in for a player after the season starts and you can't replace him. There's no way Spain would agree to this.

Premier league shooting itself in the foot. Sounds good on paper but is plainly ridiculous...

France have agreed to close their window before the season starts now too.

Ninjas Headband
08-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Not surprised Palace voted against it, but as a fan I'm delighted with the result of the vote. If we stay up we've got no choice but to be organised before the season starts and that's a good thing!

Palace organised? Are you a newbie here. :supergrin:

RCUK
08-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Given we done sign anyone anyway... We could have it permanently closed!