PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Burke Signs for WBA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Crystal Glitter
17-08-2017, 09:01 AM
http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/transfers/crystal-palaces-concrete-interest-rb-leipzigs-oliver-burke/

RisZero
17-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Funny I thought we revealed our concrete interest before he snubbed us and went there instead

Thefunkymonk
17-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Yes please

Kirby
17-08-2017, 09:05 AM
Meh whatever. Probably bollocks as usual.

CharlieCPFC
17-08-2017, 09:08 AM

This is where I'm at now.

BillyTKid
17-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Get him in and sell Sako to someone in the championship.

orp pisshead1
17-08-2017, 09:10 AM
Yes please

Surely a Parish signing all day long with that crucial sell on factor:). Decent player and in today's monstrous market a reasonable fee.

orp pisshead1
17-08-2017, 09:11 AM

Agree and again in today's market we can expect 5 plus:p

Oops meant 5 million or 8 million incl Lee & Mutch.

elgin eagle
17-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Yes please.

RisZero
17-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Surely a Parish signing

Would have thought so given previous interest

Shoreditch CPFC
17-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Put a word in Dougie: http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/oliver-burke-thankful-former-nottingham-326909

Martin H
17-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Surprised that this hasn't surfaced earlier. Doesn't sound as if this move worked out well for him/them and he has not played very many full games. His stats don't read well and he looks like he has that 'chunky' build that relies on staying at peak fitness. Only 20 but might need some time to be Premier ready. If Leipzig are looking for profit on his 13m this would look a risky deal. Most expensive Scottish player of all time apparently???? Wonder if Kenny D still has his boots......

thomasbroad
17-08-2017, 09:22 AM
Fits the bill as a Palace winger - plus with Wilf out we are desperate for reinforcements.

jimmy the gent
17-08-2017, 09:30 AM
If this is true there may be something in the Townsend rumours. Good young prospect, but if it's like-for-like with Townsend, then we're crazy. Very raw, and a great athlete, but lacks footballing intelligence.

Gazpacho
17-08-2017, 09:31 AM

Sako could be a good player. Ironically, I think he'd fit the Frank De Boer experiment well just behind Big Ben.

Trouble is, he has never been fit whilst at Palace. Injured again now with a muscle problem or something after a couple of outings pre-season.

Very disappointing and massively eating into the wages pool, without return, and probably worth very little in terms of sell on value.

We need him fit and firing and making the contribution we are paying him for.

As for Oliver Burke, a gifted young player no doubt and one I'd like to see but at what fee?

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 09:35 AM
His stats don't read well and he looks like he has that 'chunky' build that relies on staying at peak fitness. Only 20 but might need some time to be Premier ready.

His stats are not too bad when taken into account how much time he has played.

5 starts and 20 subs at RB Leipzig sounds like a lot, but he played the equivalent of just under 7 games with 2 assists and 1 goal. If he were to play every minute that would equate to 5 goals and 11 assists. As a young guy playing in a new country where he doesn't speak the language (i doubt he does at least) i wouldn't write him off quite yet.

I think he would certainly be worth a loan with view to buy at the figure and probably worth an purchase at that price.

He will provide a few goals and assists and if he clicks he 'could' get close to what Zaha is for us. Certainly having both if he was successful would give us potent attacks down both sides and stop sides being able to double and treble up on Wilf.

Martin H
17-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Fits the bill as a Palace winger - plus with Wilf out we are desperate for reinforcements.

Never quite sure what a Palace winger really means because they have been good bad and very different but I think Burke is more of a wide attacking midfielder than an winger in the traditional sense isn't he? His game at Forest centred on power, with surging runs and shooting. His build even at a young age allowed him to harass defenders physically :)

Not sure what position he developed in but most midfield/forward youngsters start out in the first team on the wing but is that where he is expected to end up?

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Very raw, and a great athlete, but lacks footballing intelligence.

Townsend or Burke? ;)

ForzaPalace
17-08-2017, 09:37 AM

Yep. Won't happen and is completely made up.

gilesy14
17-08-2017, 09:38 AM
Makes me laugh how we like to do our business at the end of the window to save a few bob...yet we could have signed this bloke 12 months ago for a few million less.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Makes me laugh how we like to do our business at the end of the window to save a few bob...yet we could have signed this bloke 12 months ago for a few million less.

We tried to didn't we but he chose Leipzig?

If the story is to be believed they may take what they paid.

gilesy14
17-08-2017, 09:43 AM
We tried to didn't we but he chose Leipzig?

If the story is to be believed they may take what they paid.

Probably because we offered him a wage structure largely based on bonuses should we reach the Champions League.

Martin H
17-08-2017, 09:43 AM
His stats are not too bad when taken into account how much time he has played.

5 starts and 20 subs at RB Leipzig sounds like a lot, but he played the equivalent of just under 7 games with 2 assists and 1 goal. If he were to play every minute that would equate to 5 goals and 11 assists. As a young guy playing in a new country where he doesn't speak the language (i doubt he does at least) i wouldn't write him off quite yet.

I think he would certainly be worth a loan with view to buy at the figure and probably worth an purchase at that price.

He will provide a few goals and assists and if he clicks he 'could' get close to what Zaha is for us. Certainly having both if he was successful would give us potent attacks down both sides and stop sides being able to double and treble up on Wilf.

I meant in context for us spending 13m + and while we only have 1 forward in the squad. The most telling stats is probably that he has had less than 700 mins over 25 games. If he was 3m buy for the future and we had a solid squad already he would make more sense on paper. More relevant will be if we have been watching him and he is has looked good despite this then he may make sense but it sounds as if he will suck a chunk of crucial funds unless he is a loan to buy target.

Stavros 69
17-08-2017, 09:49 AM
We desperately need some back up for out wide.

jimmy the gent
17-08-2017, 09:49 AM
Signs for Brighton, page 12

elgin eagle
17-08-2017, 09:53 AM
get him in before someone else does. Service to Benteke is critical this season.

alexcpfc
17-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Yes please but will end up elsewhere

out vile jelly
Thought he was great in The Muskateers! Would be a great signing.

Gregz41
An exciting rumour! I'd be happy about this.

exiledeagle

We do but also need

GK
RWB ?
Central Defender
2 forwards

So 6 players ? no chance sadly . Think FDB might try TFM at wing back so maybe 5 players - still no chance

elgin eagle
17-08-2017, 09:58 AM
An exciting rumour! I'd be happy about this.

Its the hope that kills you. And the diesel particulates. But mostly the hope.

laboxers
17-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Would be great, but other positions definitely need looking at first!

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 10:13 AM
I meant in context for us spending 13m + and while we only have 1 forward in the squad. The most telling stats is probably that he has had less than 700 mins over 25 games. If he was 3m buy for the future and we had a solid squad already he would make more sense on paper. More relevant will be if we have been watching him and he is has looked good despite this then he may make sense but it sounds as if he will suck a chunk of crucial funds unless he is a loan to buy target.

So you wouldn't buy a player from Man Utd, Man City or Liverpools bench?

He wasn't at a lower half German team they finished second. All transfers are a risk but because he didn't get much game time last season is probably not a great reason to pass him up.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 10:16 AM

Really?

We played Lokilo in the position in pre-season, Loftus Cheek played there in the first half of Huddersfield, so its fair to say we have a hole in the 1st team let alone the squad where he would play. It also means that Townsend can concentrate on RWB where he has played all pre-season.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 10:19 AM
We do but also need

GK
RWB ?
Central Defender
2 forwards

So 6 players ? no chance sadly . Think FDB might try TFM at wing back so maybe 5 players - still no chance

Did you take maths lessons from Diane Abbott?

You name 5 positions ;)

I make you right that with Townsend and then Ward and Fosu Mensah we will not bring in a RWB - i am expecting us to sign the other 4 positions in the next 2 weeks.

DARZET EAGLE
17-08-2017, 10:21 AM

Easier said than done.

AJ
17-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Rumours don't go to actual signings in under 2 weeks at Palace...move along..

DARZET EAGLE
17-08-2017, 10:31 AM

Yes but he wanted to go to Germany I believe.

Jim Cannon
17-08-2017, 10:33 AM

We signed Sako for that but he is just a lazy waste of space. Seems made up his mate Benteke is here though

DARZET EAGLE
17-08-2017, 10:34 AM

If this is true strike while the iron is hot as they say. Therer is still two weeks to secure other targets.

eagles #1
17-08-2017, 10:39 AM
Rumours don't go to actual signings in under 2 weeks at Palace...move along..

:D Very true.

We've left this too late.

DARZET EAGLE
17-08-2017, 10:42 AM
:D Very true.

We've left this too late.

I which case so have many other clubs. We'll be OK come the 1st October with Sakho in the bag, a striker and decent keeper.

mushroom
17-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Did you take maths lessons from Diane Abbott?

You name 5 positions ;)

I make you right that with Townsend and then Ward and Fosu Mensah we will not bring in a RWB - i am expecting us to sign the other 4 positions in the next 2 weeks.

He meant as well as Burke.

WorthingEagle
17-08-2017, 10:53 AM
I which case so have many other clubs. We'll be OK come the 1st October with Sakho in the bag, a striker and decent keeper.

How many other clubs have got such gaping holes in their squad? One injury and we're playing Ladapo up front.

Confidence and belief are huge things in football and we're risking them being at absolute rock bottom come the end of the window, then it won't matter what wonderful panic buys we make, they won't be able to lift the mood.

DARZET EAGLE
17-08-2017, 10:59 AM
How many other clubs have got such gaping holes in their squad? One injury and we're playing Ladapo up front.

Confidence and belief are huge things in football and we're risking them being at absolute rock bottom come the end of the window, then it won't matter what wonderful panic buys we make, they won't be able to lift the mood.

A little negative Worthing. I agree we always seem to leave it late, but don't assume that any new players won't be able to lift the mood. Look at Sakho last season. Huddersfield was so depressing and we need a miracle to get anything out of Liverpool, but we can turn the tables on Swansea, and move forward.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 11:00 AM
He meant as well as Burke.

But Burke would be one of the forwards!

Martin H
17-08-2017, 11:01 AM
So you wouldn't buy a player from Man Utd, Man City or Liverpools bench?

He wasn't at a lower half German team they finished second. All transfers are a risk but because he didn't get much game time last season is probably not a great reason to pass him up.

Crikey this is hard work lately.

I don't know what you are inferring from my posts but I didn't say what you appear to have responded too.

The logic was:

- We (allegedly) have constrained funds and need to fill 5 or 6 positions potentially - i.e. every penny has to count

- We are playing 3 4 3 and only have one two forwards that we would choose to play and expect to compete effectively in a Premier League match (and one of those is injured). So players we are buying in should expect to be playing not squad players for development

- He went out there for 13m a year ago and despite (I think) being their most expensive purchase has not played 700 mins and they are already looking to move him on. We differ on his stats but that's fine.

So - I didn't even say I wouldn't buy him I just said that with that context it could be a risky deal. I had him on my mental list already because we had been rumoured to be 'staying in touch' when he went out there and he is a good target in a different context albeit pricy. I then finished up with saying that what is more relevant to any deal will be how he has looked when he has been playing because stats, particularly with it being 700 mins over 25 games aren't a good measure. I would add to my earlier caution that he only ever played 25 league games for Forest and so will be pretty raw.

Sir.S.C Remembered
17-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Definitely, think it is good to do try before you buy when he has not been tested in this league before. But he fits the mould in terms of young talent.

Other worry is he is more of a winger than a ACM. Unless we did lose Townsend then I would not see the need and I would really like us to concentrate on a natural ACM.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 11:07 AM
Crikey this is hard work lately.

I don't know what you are inferring from my posts but I didn't say what you appear to have responded too.

The logic was:

- We (allegedly) have constrained funds and need to fill 5 or 6 positions potentially - i.e. every penny has to count

- We are playing 3 4 3 and only have one two forwards that we would choose to play and expect to compete effectively in a Premier League match (and one of those is injured). So players we are buying in should expect to be playing not squad players for development

- He went out there for 13m a year ago and despite (I think) being their most expensive purchase has not played 700 mins and they are already looking to move him on. We differ on his stats but that's fine.

So - I didn't even say I wouldn't buy him I just said that with that context it could be a risky deal. I had him on my mental list already because we had been rumoured to be 'staying in touch' when he went out there and he is a good target in a different context albeit pricy. I then finished up with saying that what is more relevant to any deal will be how he has looked when he has been playing because stats, particularly with it being 700 mins over 25 games aren't a good measure. I would add to my earlier caution that he only ever played 25 league games for Forest and so will be pretty raw.

I think it is just because we differ.

I would expect our front 3 to look like this:
Burke Benteke Zaha

Not a development player but someone to come in and play in our best XI. He played at a top German club so just because he couldn't get into their 1st team should not suggest he is not good enough for ours. Indeed the article linked suggests that one of the reasons was his defensive game was not developing whereas i guess in De Boer's 3-4-3 the forwards will not have too much defensive responsibility.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Definitely, think it is good to do try before you buy when he has not been tested in this league before. But he fits the mould in terms of young talent.

Other worry is he is more of a winger than a ACM. Unless we did lose Townsend then I would not see the need and I would really like us to concentrate on a natural ACM.

But we play a formation that doesn't have an ACM! :confused:

Shipp Ahoy!
17-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Yes, yes, a million times yes!

Do they? At the moment with no Wilf, we are looking at Lokilo, Sako or CYL starting... that's pretty damn poor!

Yes we need a GK and a striker but we also need another wide player and could even release Wilf when fit again to play around the striker, which for me is where he should be playing.

PALACEWU
17-08-2017, 11:13 AM

You must just go round and round in circles.

mushroom
17-08-2017, 11:13 AM
But Burke would be one of the forwards!

Or wide midfield

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Or wide midfield

In the 3-4-3 we will be playing he can only play as one of the wide forwards.

He is probably more suited the this formation than 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1.

TheCharmer1
17-08-2017, 11:38 AM
Would this be in addition to Townsend playing wing back? Or as a replacement for Townsend further forward ?

jimmy the gent
17-08-2017, 11:40 AM
I rate the lad as a prospect, am unconvinced he's particularly suitable for the kind of game FdB wants to play though. Would have made far more sense as an Allardcye signing, very raw, strong and with great pace. If we are going for him then it sounds like more of a Parish move to me (given we were in for him before)

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Would this be in addition to Townsend playing wing back? Or as a replacement for Townsend further forward ?

If we signed Burke my guess is he would play in the 3 up top and Townsend as RWB.

Jim Cannon
17-08-2017, 11:41 AM
Yes, yes, a million times yes!

Do they? At the moment with no Wilf, we are looking at Lokilo, Sako or CYL starting... that's pretty damn poor!

Yes we need a GK and a striker but we also need another wide player and could even release Wilf when fit again to play around the striker, which for me is where he should be playing.

Schlupp?

PHIL BARBER
17-08-2017, 11:41 AM
is this a possible sign that Townsend is on his way out ?

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 11:45 AM

No reason to given he has played RWB and that is not where Burke would play.

whereEaglesFly
17-08-2017, 11:47 AM
If we was in a more comfortable position of having a solid tried and tested formation I'd actually be quite happy to risk losing Townsend for Burke.

But we aren't so we shouldn't sell Townsend, but should buy Burke

exiledeagle
17-08-2017, 11:53 AM

Hope not we have no decent cover now for AT / WZ , pointless getting someone in and letting Townsend go .

Pierre
17-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Leipzig aren't going to let Burke go for less than they paid for him.
However we need cover and competition thereafter and he could provide that.
But I do agree there are other positions that require attention first.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 12:30 PM
However we need cover and competition thereafter and he could provide that.
But I do agree there are other positions that require attention first.

Which positions? Wide forward is the only position we are missing a 1st team player for. Let alone depth which we could use in several other positions.

We have yet to start a game this year including preseason with 2 wide forwards we would class as good enough.

AddoWolz
17-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Bob hope and no hope , this is Crystal ******* Palace and it does
my nut in .

eagle mart
17-08-2017, 01:24 PM

A sellers market becomes a buyers market on deadline day.

richdeniro
17-08-2017, 01:27 PM

My first thought was replacement.

Maybe FDB isn't a fan of inverted wingers/wing backs who cut inside and would rather a left footer on the left and right footer on the right.

elgin eagle
17-08-2017, 01:33 PM
A sellers market becomes a buyers market on deadline day.

A Palace transfer deadline clock only starts with a week to go.

elgin eagle
17-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Perhaps the plan is to do a Watford and loan everyone this season. Or perhaps there is no plan and we are cash strapped crystal palace again.

red&blue_moomin
17-08-2017, 01:55 PM
I'm guessing its loans and one maybe two purchases totalling around 20M.

I think the sponsorship deal paid for Jairo.

Shipp Ahoy!
17-08-2017, 02:20 PM
My first thought was replacement.

Maybe FDB isn't a fan of inverted wingers/wing backs who cut inside and would rather a left footer on the left and right footer on the right.

With Benteke upfront so would I!

I doubt it though given he's played Wilf on the left and Townsend on the right.

Jimmy Eagle
17-08-2017, 02:28 PM
This is where I'm at now.

and me :frown:

4 cryingOutloud
17-08-2017, 02:29 PM
Lots of reports about this.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/former-nottingham-forest-star-oliver-339872

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/scotland-international-oliver-burke-11001990

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4263701/crystal-palace-oliver-burke-not-wanted-rb-leipzig/

Martin H
17-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Lots of reports about this.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/former-nottingham-forest-star-oliver-339872

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/scotland-international-oliver-burke-11001990

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4263701/crystal-palace-oliver-burke-not-wanted-rb-leipzig/

As said above I am pretty sure we have been tracking him closely since missing out the first time. So he is a believable target but if they really want their money back I think it will be difficult for us. It was a bit of a crazy figure when they paid it and bearing in mind his lack of playing time and their own verdict on him it's still a bit crazy. But so is the world right now.

Tim
17-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Can we get him over the line before deadline day? Cue another long winded, protracted transfer process. If there's any truth in it at all?

DARZET EAGLE
17-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Get him in. Another youngster for Frank's squad. Two tricky wingers on either flank would take some heat off Wilf.

4 cryingOutloud
17-08-2017, 03:01 PM
As said above I am pretty sure we have been tracking him closely since missing out the first time. So he is a believable target but if they really want their money back I think it will be difficult for us. It was a bit of a crazy figure when they paid it and bearing in mind his lack of playing time and their own verdict on him it's still a bit crazy. But so is the world right now.

They are reputed to have paid 15m and it's thought that an offer around the 12m mark could be enough to land the winger. There's not many quality players available for 12m these days. Ask SP, he's been searching all window long.

exiledeagle
17-08-2017, 03:01 PM
Can we get him over the line before deadline day? Cue another long winded, protracted transfer process. If there's any truth in it at all?

We never know do we . There were strong rumours about the 2 Ajax players , then Bruno Martins Indi having medical then the Dutch keeper and Chambers from Arsenal . Could be we never in for any of these .

henryhallandhisbasque
17-08-2017, 03:03 PM
The original writer should have copyrighted 'concrete interest'.

Martin H
17-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Get him in. Another youngster for Frank's squad. Two tricky wingers on either flank would take some heat off Wilf.

As I said before. I don't think he is a tricky winger is he? He should fit the right of the front 3 role but I don't think he is 'tricky'. He is all about power, pace and direct I think.

Edit - definitely this.

If you watch his days at forest there are strong reminders of Wilf's early days albeit he beats players with pace and power instead of tricks. The similarity is that you can see that he really has something special but its not quite there yet. He has had another year but it still may be a while for him to get there. Probably will be exciting and frustrating at the same time. Especially for the manager I would think :(

cpfcfan1
17-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Heard he's going to play in goal if he signs

PauLo
17-08-2017, 03:22 PM
Ur so funny lol

Eagle's Nest
17-08-2017, 03:29 PM
I think someone has already put their Mum in goal on the formation thread.

Nigelbrag
17-08-2017, 03:51 PM
He ticks all of our boxes? but do We tick his box. But i have to ask is it a rookie that we need currently or someone more experienced with a proven goalscoring record as he is Not going to come cheap, also will be in demand by others.

TWELLSEagle
17-08-2017, 03:55 PM

No

16eagles
17-08-2017, 03:59 PM
He would be perfect for Zaha. We need someone so badly to take attention of him. Saturday proved that. This helps, yes he has lot to learn but has raw potential and defenders would be scared of his pace and power.

elgin eagle
17-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Come on Palace. Still time to rescue this window.

RisZero
17-08-2017, 04:42 PM
Its time

y8KhN2fBYdQ

4 cryingOutloud
17-08-2017, 04:54 PM
It would be nice to have a Burke to compliment some of the tossers don't you think? ;):love:

dave_who_ru
17-08-2017, 05:04 PM
What's not to like:

However,*Leipzig are now of the opinion that Burke has shown little improvement with regard to tactical understanding and work without ball.

elgin eagle
17-08-2017, 05:09 PM
What's not to like:

It's all in bloody German

PHIL BARBER
17-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Sweeper Keeper

Martin H
17-08-2017, 05:21 PM
What he does have that you can't coach is real pace. But unless you are running in the right places at the right times....... Not sure why, but I can see this one following through. Just not sure if its a good thing for this season or the next.

RisZero
17-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Does seem a little unrefined but at his age in a team where the manager wants to push youth that might be ok. All about the fee for me.

cpfcfan1
17-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Another one to pin our hopes on only to sign for West Brom ten days later

Gyro1780
17-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Puncheon upgrade....?

YES PLEASE !!

Sp1Eagle
17-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Bundesliga Journal @bulijournal11m
Replying to @bulijournal
BREAKING | #RBLeipzig forward Oliver #Burke ���� will sign for Crystal Palace for €18m. (Bild) #rbl #cpfc

rossi71987
17-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Bild reporting that he will sign for €18m

TC EAGLE
17-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Apparently he's signing for €18 mill ..................https://twitter.com/bulijournal?lang=en

PHIL BARBER
17-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Hope he signs It will restore some faith.

BillyTKid
17-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Ooh exciting. Looks a bit of a Wilf #2. No pressure.

Jim Cannon
17-08-2017, 05:57 PM
About 16.5M in your real money

gold76
17-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Would certainly boost morale

Kai
17-08-2017, 06:00 PM
So despite not improving sufficiently, his value has gone up by some 5 million?!? Blimey...

exiledeagle
17-08-2017, 06:01 PM
Hope its true but sounds a lot of money for someone with not much experience - is it just a comment on twitter ?

Jim Cannon
17-08-2017, 06:02 PM
So despite not improving sufficiently, his value has gone up by some 5 million?!? Blimey...

He really needs to play in a side that specialise in 3 at the back

Adlerhorst
17-08-2017, 06:04 PM

It's better / worse than that, they originally paid for potential they are saying he no longer has.

Martin H
17-08-2017, 06:06 PM

3.5 I think but who knows. Did currency move for part of that?

Crazy times, but if he is coming he is a God - have to get behind him.

He will excite but need some patience I think. Let's hope being home will unleash him. Hat trick at Anfield is a reasonable start and progress from there.

BillyTKid
17-08-2017, 06:09 PM
Leipzig are in the champions league and trying to cement their position towards the top of German football. It's no disgrace if they have moved on quicker than expected and now haven't got the patience to develop Burke. He looks the right fit for Palace.

Jim Cannon
17-08-2017, 06:10 PM
It's better / worse than that, they originally paid for potential they are saying he no longer has.

So on close inspection they do not think he's all that but saw us coming and out the price up?

orp pisshead1
Which positions? Wide forward is the only position we are missing a 1st team player for. Let alone depth which we could use in several other positions.

Errrr GK?

Sorry Wayne :D

exiledeagle
Is this just a twitter comment or something more substantial ?

dave_who_ru
17-08-2017, 06:12 PM
Ooh exciting. Looks a bit of a Wilf #2. No pressure.

Just old Nottingham Forest footage.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-08-2017, 06:13 PM
Is this just a twitter comment or something more substantial ?
Has about 2.5k followers. But that it isn't that many really. I wouldn't get too excited yet, but who knows.

I wonder if Wilf's injury has given us a bit more urgency to fill this position.

Mr Palace
17-08-2017, 06:15 PM
He's highly rated. I've never seen him play so have no idea how good he is or how well suited he will be to us.

Interesting that this will be our fourth signing - all of which are very young players. FDB did indicate (I think) that he wanted to bring the average age of the squad down. I can see the logic but it's not without risks.

Still, it would be good to get a young prospect on a perm deal.

glaziers fan
17-08-2017, 06:15 PM
16.5m well spent if we can get it done. THEN 3-4-3 makes sense :p

Stockport_Eagle
17-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Struggling with his tactical game...will be right at home :lux:

Never seen him kick a ball. No clue if he's Wilf mk2 or Mutch mk2

BringbackShipps
17-08-2017, 06:19 PM
16.5m for a 33 year old Kilmarnock winger? Game's gone. :D

stinky
17-08-2017, 06:19 PM
Why has this been merged with Chris Burke?

Mr Palace
17-08-2017, 06:20 PM
16.5m well spent if we can get it done. THEN 3-4-3 makes sense :p

Still need several players to make it work though surely? Keeper, another CB who doesn't panic on the ball, right wing back plus more depth in the front three positions.

LLCOOLSTEVE
17-08-2017, 06:21 PM
im confused by the thread title

jamescav0
17-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Zoet
Townsend Fosu-Menah Wimmer Ridewald PVA
Luka RLC
Burke Zaha
Benteke

Would we be happy with this

GreatGonzo
Why has this been merged with Chris Burke?

Mod needs sacking!

glaziers fan
Still need several players to make it work though surely? Keeper, another CB who doesn't panic on the ball, right wing back plus more depth in the front three positions.

At least we would have 3 who are good enough to play up front! Baby steps. Agree about keeper, and centre back. If we could sign Zoet, Sakho and Burke then we just might have a team capable of doing well, barring injuries. Squad depth would still be a problem but we can work on that in January if depleted or in the summer if not.

stinky
17-08-2017, 06:23 PM
Mods having a mare here.

glaziers fan
17-08-2017, 06:24 PM
someone send the mod a PM with a final warning ;)

Adlerhorst
17-08-2017, 06:24 PM
It's 2am here, I'm drunk, and may have pressed the wrong button.

Fixed now

bigend1
17-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Lots of potential but very very young and raw

Obviously question marks about his decisions, tactics etc and they don't think he'll progress, but Utd let wilf come back for that sort of thing.

From clips etc..

Seems primarily pace and strength. Almost always knocks the ball on, head down and beats his man with pace. Good shot with his right foot, very little left foot going on the fact he prefers awkward shots with the outside of his right foot than a simpler finish with his left. No tricks that I saw, just tap into space and run.

He's very fast and has a good finish and pass. Raw but perhaps what we will get. Hope the large fee doesn't give him less time here as I think he'll be a work in progress like when we signed bolaise and our young wilf.

Mr Palace
17-08-2017, 06:25 PM
At least we would have 3 who are good enough to play up front! Baby steps. Agree about keeper, and centre back. If we could sign Zoet, Sakho and Burke then we just might have a team capable of doing well, barring injuries. Squad depth would still be a problem but we can work on that in January if depleted or in the summer if not.

Yep, that's true. A decent back up for benteke too is much needed this window given wickham won't be back till January.

bigend1
17-08-2017, 06:26 PM
16.5m for a 33 year old Kilmarnock winger? Game's gone. :D

:D

JAS78
17-08-2017, 06:32 PM

Have you not seen the state of the transfer market this year ?

Fatboy
17-08-2017, 06:32 PM
End up with Kathy Burke - page 28

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Yep, that's true. A decent back up for benteke too is much needed this window given wickham won't be back till January.

GK:Zoet/Skorupski, Hennessey, Speroni
RCB: Tomkins, Fosu-Mensah, Ward
CB: Dann, Sakho, Tomkins
LCB: Sakho, Reidewald
RWB: Townsend, Fosu-Mensah
LWB: PVA, Schlupp, Souare
CM: Luka, Cabaye, Loftus-Cheek, Puncheon, McArthur
Forwards: Zaha, Burke, Townsend, Sako
CF: Benteke, NEW, Wickham

That would have us with several options in each area, even if a couple of players are options in 2 positions. We would have to be pretty unfortunate not to be able to play a pretty good player in each position. Would take a few injuries in an area, which is possible but unfortunate.

Mr Palace
17-08-2017, 06:45 PM
GK:Zoet/Skorupski, Hennessey, Speroni
RCB: Tomkins, Fosu-Mensah, Ward
CB: Dann, Sakho, Tomkins
LCB: Sakho, Reidewald
RWB: Townsend, Fosu-Mensah
LWB: PVA, Schlupp, Souare
CM: Luka, Cabaye, Loftus-Cheek, Puncheon, McArthur
Forwards: Zaha, Burke, Townsend, Sako
CF: Benteke, NEW, Wickham

That would have us with several options in each area, even if a couple of players are options in 2 positions. We would have to be pretty unfortunate not to be able to play a pretty good player in each position. Would take a few injuries in an area, which is possible but unfortunate.

I would gladly take that outcome at the end of the window.

Still not 100% certain about the right wing back role but if we get a decent new keeper, Sakho, Burke and a decent centre forward then that would relax me no end!

Billy Rhino
17-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Mods having a mare here.

They're a bunch of burkes

eagle101
17-08-2017, 06:58 PM
Would be very keen on this signing, but not convinced it's true, personally. All this talk of no money and then spending €18m on a winger?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Would be very keen on this signing, but not convinced it's true, personally. All this talk of no money and then spending 18m on a winger?
The only talk of no money is people on here trying to explain our lack of deals so far. At this point no one knows if is evidence of a lack of funds or not.

Excowboy
17-08-2017, 07:02 PM
It's 2am here, I'm drunk, and may have pressed the wrong button.

Fixed now

Proof if it were needed of my long held suspiciion you are in fact Jeremy Clarkson.

CaptainCharisma
17-08-2017, 07:10 PM
The only talk of no money is people on here trying to explain our lack of deals so far. At this point no one knows if is evidence of a lack of funds or not.

Actually parish's programme notes for Huddersfield kind of implied money is tight because of ffp

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 07:15 PM
Actually parish's programme notes for Huddersfield kind of implied money is tight because of ffp

Interesting seeing as FFP only affects the wage bill.

SmokeyStover7
17-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Not convinced. He is very direct but one footed, technically okay, okay passer, and poor defensively and tactically. He has also struggled the past year. Still very young and obviously has talent and potential, but not worth 18M. Sakho would be a far superior signing if we only have the money for one.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Not convinced. He is very direct but one footed, technically okay, okay passer, and poor defensively and tactically. He has also struggled the past year. Still very young and obviously has talent and potential, but not worth 18M. Sakho would be a far superior signing if we only have the money for one.

a) we don't know how much money there is

b) can we get Sakho for 16m?

mushroom
17-08-2017, 07:21 PM
Puncheon upgrade....?

YES PLEASE !!

He doesn't play centre mid

BillyTKid
17-08-2017, 07:22 PM

Yep. If we could sell Sako or Lee it might be FFP positive as Burke could be on smaller wages.

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Yep. If we could sell Sako or Lee it might be FFP positive as Burke could be on smaller wages.

Unless Parish has been telling porkies about the new sponsorship deals, or unless the 2 loan boys are on hundreds of thousands a week we have plenty of room in the wage bill in terms of FFP rules.

bigend1
17-08-2017, 07:37 PM
a) we don't know how much money there is

b) can we get Sakho for 16m?

I agree we don't know how much money their is.

I think smokey meant more say Sakho was 25-30 and this guy 16.. we probably don't have 40-50m+ For them for a striker rather than 16m each which do you want plus the striker.

I agree also that this guy is very raw. Exciting prospect but limited right now and that's a hell of a lot of money when we really need instant impact rather than one for the future

Good at the right price though and who the **** knows what's the right price these days though

Jim Cannon
17-08-2017, 07:44 PM
Would be very keen on this signing, but not convinced it's true, personally. All this talk of no money and then spending 18m on a winger?

BBS keep saying we have no money and people believe it. Nobody knows how much there actually is but I doubt FDB would have taken the job with little cash available

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 07:45 PM
I agree we don't know how much money their is.

I think smokey meant more say Sakho was 25-30 and this guy 16.. we probably don't have 40-50m+ For them for a striker rather than 16m each which do you want plus the striker.

I agree also that this guy is very raw. Exciting prospect but limited right now and that's a hell of a lot of money when we really need instant impact rather than one for the future

Good at the right price though and who the **** knows what's the right price these days though

As it stands though Burke is half the cost of Sakho so not sure they will be related deals.

If we are worried about how much money then every deal will have to wait till late on 31 August after we have either got Sakho or walked away.

elgin eagle
17-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Chris Burke signs, page 9.

Mad Raschic Ken
17-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Chris Burke signs, page 9.

Did he have his medical last week then?

elgin eagle
17-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Did he have his medical last week then?

:)

They keep the high profile signings under tight wraps these days.

Davy64
17-08-2017, 08:18 PM
rather spend money on sakho still

Jim Cannon
17-08-2017, 08:21 PM
David Burke signs, page 9.

EFA

elgin eagle
17-08-2017, 08:23 PM
EFA

Not if Chris Burke signs.

Thefunkymonk
17-08-2017, 08:28 PM
http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/kevin-kampl/macht-leipzig-jetzt-ernst-52893548.bild.html

Anyone speak German

Thefunkymonk
17-08-2017, 08:31 PM
Google translate of the bild article

Actually, Bull Sports Director Ralf Rangnick (59) did not want to go shopping again. Exception: A player leaves the club in summer. Just this backdoor opens now!
BILD knows: Scotsman Oliver Burke (20) is going back to the island. Premier League Club Crystal Palace is a hot candidate.
A year ago, he had come to Leipzig from Nottingham Forest as a record transfer for 15.2 million euros, but could never really get through here (only 1 Bundesliga goal).
Even in the DFB Cup last week in Dorfmerkingen (5-0) he disappointed with his 21-minute bet. Rangnick had recently given him a price tag of around 20 million euros, a loan was never questioned.
According to BILD information, Burke is now sold for around 18 million euros. The thick TV charcoal of the English makes it possible!

BringbackShipps
17-08-2017, 08:32 PM
Not sure we should be spending all our charcoal on this fella if I'm honest.

Reps AJ
17-08-2017, 08:33 PM
http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/kevin-kampl/macht-leipzig-jetzt-ernst-52893548.bild.html

Anyone speak German

We're hot favourites because of our charcoal, according to Google translate

Thefunkymonk
17-08-2017, 08:34 PM
I've got a coupe bags of charcoal.. I'm rich

Martin H
17-08-2017, 08:34 PM
That charcoal makes all the difference :)

CharlieCPFC
17-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Google translate of the bild article

Actually, Bull Sports Director Ralf Rangnick (59) did not want to go shopping again. Exception: A player leaves the club in summer. Just this backdoor opens now!
BILD knows: Scotsman Oliver Burke (20) is going back to the island. Premier League Club Crystal Palace is a hot candidate.
A year ago, he had come to Leipzig from Nottingham Forest as a record transfer for 15.2 million euros, but could never really get through here (only 1 Bundesliga goal).
Even in the DFB Cup last week in Dorfmerkingen (5-0) he disappointed with his 21-minute bet. Rangnick had recently given him a price tag of around 20 million euros, a loan was never questioned.
According to BILD information, Burke is now sold for around 18 million euros. The thick TV charcoal of the English makes it possible!

"Crystal Palace however have made an unacceptable bid of 4M with bonuses of Champions League appearances"

Martin H
17-08-2017, 08:41 PM
"Crystal Palace however have made an unacceptable bid of 4M with bonuses of Champions League appearances"

It was plus BA Avios points.

AJ
17-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Sadly, there hasnt been a great Scottish player since about 1982! Seems a lot of money for 20 year old with about 50 apps.

itsrickyb
17-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Kohle is slang equivalent of "dough"

cdm61
17-08-2017, 08:48 PM
Not inspiring

the drexciyan
17-08-2017, 08:49 PM

Jesus f-ing Christ sounds like our negotiating team are moonlighting as brexit negotiators.

Big Blue Eagle
17-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Jesus f-ing Christ sounds like our negotiating team are moonlighting as brexit negotiators.
I think you have been whooshed.....

CharlieCPFC
17-08-2017, 08:56 PM

:D

Bounce back
17-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Love to watch players who can run with the ball , would be good for player and palace

GreatGonzo
17-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Needs to have signed by 5pm tomorrow to play at Anfield!

exiledeagle
17-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Needs to have signed by 5pm tomorrow to play at Anfield!

No chance:)

His build reminds me of John Robertson also Nottm Forest .

Still not convinced we are in for him .

16eagles
17-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Not inspiring

Its a great signing if true, he is exactly what we need offensively. Ralf Rangnick the sporting director did say other day "none would leave or come in" hopefully not keeping to his word

Gollum
17-08-2017, 09:20 PM
Bundesliga Journal‏
@bulijournal

BREAKING | #RBLeipzig forward Oliver #Burke ���� will sign for Crystal Palace for €18m. (Bild) #rbl #cpfc

Seanee Pawnee
17-08-2017, 09:24 PM
Does this mean ben10 is heading back to the other scouse team?

Thefunkymonk
17-08-2017, 09:25 PM

What and leave us with zero strikers...

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Why would it?

SilentAssassin
17-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Sadly, there hasnt been a great Scottish player since about 1982! Seems a lot of money for 20 year old with about 50 apps.

Excuse me?

Gollum
17-08-2017, 09:27 PM

Burke is a winger...

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Bundesliga Journal‏
@bulijournal

BREAKING | #RBLeipzig forward Oliver #Burke ���� will sign for Crystal Palace for 18m. (Bild) #rbl #cpfc
Isn't this the same tweet we have been discussing and was shared on here hours ago?

Sceagle
17-08-2017, 09:39 PM
100% happening. Welcome Oliver.

thomasbroad
17-08-2017, 09:40 PM
Please be true! :lux:

Sceagle
17-08-2017, 09:43 PM
Please be true! :lux:

Fingers crossed it's done by 2pm tomorrow!

Thefunkymonk
17-08-2017, 09:44 PM

Sceagle on a wind up once again ...

Martin H
17-08-2017, 09:53 PM

Thx

McpfcS
17-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Fine with this as long as it doesn't impact our spending on essential first team players i.e. RWB, GK, ST at a minimum.

Terrace Bickle
Some excitement at last though!

Gyro1780
BBS keep saying we have no money and people believe it. Nobody knows how much there actually is but I doubt FDB would have taken the job with little cash available

Spot on :p

Martin H
17-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Fine with this as long as it doesn't impact our spending on essential first team players i.e. RWB, GK, ST at a minimum.

Errrm, pretty sure at that price he must be considered a starter.

Gyro1780
17-08-2017, 10:01 PM
He reminds me a bit of Giggs. I know he's not as good as Giggs was but i mean the way he beats players with pace.

McpfcS
17-08-2017, 10:05 PM
Errrm, pretty sure at that price he must be considered a starter.

No chance. He's played very few games overall and even less at the top level.

Stellavista
17-08-2017, 10:08 PM

You know you'll be toast on here if this doesn't happen now? :D

Thefunkymonk
17-08-2017, 10:08 PM
He follows wilf and Jonny Williams on Instagram apparently. It's official :S:

Dedders
17-08-2017, 10:09 PM
How good a source is Sceagle?

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-08-2017, 10:10 PM
I would have thought he would be marked to be starting pretty quickly - right hand side of front three to allow Townsend to go back to midfield/ wing back.

trufan
17-08-2017, 10:11 PM
He reminds me a bit of Giggs. I know he's not as good as Giggs was but i mean the way he beats players with pace.

Just watched some YouTube footage of him. Looks to have pace, strength and a decent touch, but just wonder whether he'll be able to burst past Premier League defenders as easily as he does on those videos. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of trickery if the opponents are fast enough to match him. Anyway, we may well find out soon!

The Drive Man
17-08-2017, 10:13 PM
A pacey left winger - just what we need! This has to be LOB...right?

DARZET EAGLE
17-08-2017, 10:15 PM

Eh?

nicobos
17-08-2017, 10:18 PM
If this one is happening, hope it's structured with a lower upfront fee and plenty of add-ons. Had 6 good games for forest and suddenly he's the next bale.

Hasn't done it at Redbull. Unproven at the top level.

Youth on his side but worried this could be Jordan Mutch #2.

Looks like we're building a solid championship side ;) !

andyocpfc
17-08-2017, 10:18 PM

Well I'm relatively excited but that's taking it a bit far!

Sceagle
17-08-2017, 10:22 PM
You know you'll be toast on here if this doesn't happen now? :D

I know and I couldn't care less

Martin H
17-08-2017, 10:26 PM

I kind of agree and I am still gobsmacked at the fees being bandied around. My point was more that if he has cost us that sort of money I can't see us buying him for the bench. I.e. Do we have enough cash to buy players that will play a handful of games?

Die hard Hoj
17-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Some excitement at last though!

I can hardly contain myself. Is he any relation to Gareth Burke. :wallbash:

McpfcS
17-08-2017, 10:35 PM
I kind of agree and I am still gobsmacked at the fees being bandied around. My point was more that if he has cost us that sort of money I can't see us buying him for the bench. I.e. Do we have enough cash to buy players that will play a handful of games?

I think it's very easy for us to buy young players who are highly likely to have re-sale value even if they're expensive.

The greater difficulty will come with justifying big fees on older players who are basically a sunk cost.

We have access to near unlimited funds if all parties agree that the signings are the right business decisions.

CaptainCharisma
17-08-2017, 10:35 PM

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/from-the-boardroom-huddersfield-town/

If that link works, scroll to the transfers part. Not conclusive of course, but to me says not much spending power

Martin H
17-08-2017, 10:41 PM

He reminds me of Roy Keane's early days at Forest. Build, pace and style. - back then i used to pick up a few Forest games with a mate who was a regular there. Keane started out on the right wing as a youngster and had the same power and pace and very direct. Left full backs in a heap. Giggs is a lot trickier on the ball than this guy I think. Be nice if he turned out the same as RK but I don't get the impression that he is as keen on defence.

DIGRESSION - Someone mentioned John Robertson above. Saw him playing there too. Went from being a pedestrian, and painfully slow central midfielder to an almost unplayable winger under Cloughie. Probably one of the most amazing transformations I have ever seen. Went from boos to hero worship. Not quite Don Rogers but heading that way. This guy is nothing like John R who I could probably beat in a sprint race even now.

exiledeagle1
17-08-2017, 10:42 PM
RBL sign him for 15m.........find that he isn't as good as they would have liked.....so sell him for 18m.

Nice business !

CPFC.1990
17-08-2017, 10:45 PM
So this basically means that Townsend is not seen as an attacker and more the RWB as the forward three would be Burke, Zaha and Benteke. Not sure where Townsend fits into the squad.

out vile jelly
17-08-2017, 10:45 PM
Criticised in Germany as having "big deficits in his tactical understanding". The player would be relatively exciting for a newly-promoted team but is well below par for the quality we need. We need proven Premiership experience or players that have excelled in the top Spanish/Italian/French/German leagues. I am sick of championship hopefuls and we will go down if we cannot find proper quality.

exiledeagle1
17-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Criticised in Germany as having "big deficits in his tactical understanding". The player would be relatively exciting for a newly-promoted team but is well below par for the quality we need. We need proven Premiership experience or players that have excelled in the top Spanish/Italian/French/German leagues. I am sick of championship hopefuls and we will go down if we cannot find proper quality.

In other words, THICK.

CPFC.1990
17-08-2017, 10:51 PM

The style of English football allows players much more freedom to express themselves. I wouldn't say not excelling in Germany means that he would not suit English football. German football is quite dour.

McpfcS
17-08-2017, 10:54 PM
So this basically means that Townsend is not seen as an attacker and more the RWB as the forward three would be Burke, Zaha and Benteke. Not sure where Townsend fits into the squad.

Burke wouldn't be considered a regular starter for some time.

Terrace Bickle
17-08-2017, 11:09 PM
RBL sign him for 15m.........find that he isn't as good as they would have liked.....so sell him for 18m.

Nice business !
If only our transfer failures worked this way, we'd be millionaires Rodney.

CPFC.1990
17-08-2017, 11:15 PM

If we pay that sort of money he plays.

Martin H
17-08-2017, 11:35 PM

So we play who? Lokilo? If you are right there must be a boatload of signings underway if we can afford squad players of this level. Woohoo :)

bigend1
17-08-2017, 11:42 PM

Erm..... the rwb then?

Either rwb or front three. Or of course either wing if we change formation. Pretty valuable member of the team really

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
17-08-2017, 11:45 PM

I think he would. Maybe not guaranteed to start every game but suspect he would start an awful lot.

CPFC.1990
17-08-2017, 11:51 PM
Erm..... the rwb then?

Either rwb or front three. Or of course either wing if we change formation. Pretty valuable member of the team really

But do you think Townsend will want to play rwb?

We play 3-4-3 that's not going to change. Townsend is no defender.

Gregz41
18-08-2017, 12:13 AM

I highly doubt that. We're desperately short on first team quality. Townsend played every pre season game at RWB. Should we sign him, I'm sure Burke is seen as one of the starting front three.

mroakley9
18-08-2017, 12:18 AM
In other words, THICK.

Or 'British', but your word works too, I suppose.

AJ
18-08-2017, 12:59 AM
At this rate our squad will have about 30 players in it. All our signings have been 21 or under 21 and not needed to be included in the 25 man squad.

AJ
18-08-2017, 01:07 AM
Excuse me?

Although I am 1/2 Scottish I cannot any greats since the days of Archie Gemmiil, Kenny Daglish and Graham Souness.

Kidofwonder
18-08-2017, 01:56 AM
if a player has good technique the 'football brain' bit can fall into place later and them still do a job

see: Harry Kane

Kidofwonder
18-08-2017, 01:57 AM
basically see any young bright British talent, few of them can read a game for shit

the drexciyan
18-08-2017, 04:29 AM

Guilty as charged. :D

the drexciyan
18-08-2017, 04:30 AM
Happy with this signing if it comes off, the sort of player we need.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
18-08-2017, 05:06 AM
Has anyone else considered that we might now we willing to spend big fee on this position because Wilf is going to be out for longer than has been reported?

CoDownEagle
18-08-2017, 05:52 AM
And when Wilf is back the guy spends his time on the bench ? Seems like a total waste of money to me.

Jim Cannon
18-08-2017, 06:15 AM
Funny how there is always something to moan about or a conspiracy theory. Maybe the club just did what they said which was to buy young players with future sell on value, but there's always a few who have to find something to fecking moan about

BillyTKid
18-08-2017, 06:19 AM
And when Wilf is back the guy spends his time on the bench ? Seems like a total waste of money to me.

Not if Andros plays RWB.

Chris K
18-08-2017, 06:22 AM

Sorry if I sound dismissive but was this the same source that said Cabaye had gone a few weeks back?

cpfcfan1
18-08-2017, 06:25 AM
Sorry if I sound dismissive but was this the same source that said Cabaye had gone a few weeks back?

Ignore it, on a wind up.

McpfcS
18-08-2017, 06:28 AM

He's just taking a punt based on a (relatively reliable) news story. Tbf he's not claiming to be ITK on this.

Palace Kebab
18-08-2017, 06:35 AM
Baffling comments about not needing reinforcements in his position. How many options do we have for our front three. Wilf, Townsend and Benteke, maybe Lokilo, then we are at the the dregs? Even if Wilf wasn't injured we have no depth. We are able to benefit from the versatility of Townsend being able to slot in at RWB if necessary once enabled by greater depth in the front 3. This enhances the squad picture greatly.

I expect Burke will be first reserve for the front 3 at present and named on the bench. He will get plenty of game time either as impact sub or starting when we have a member of the front three out or Townsend at RWB. Another centre back signing (or Tomkins fit and I would expect Fosu-Mensah to be the first choice RWB rather than Townsend. Huddersfield was poor, but I am encouraged by the flexibility and therefore inherent depth the manager is planning.

McpfcS
18-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Baffling comments about not needing reinforcements in his position. How many options do we have for our front three. Wilf, Townsend and Benteke, maybe Lokilo, then we are at the the dregs? Even if Wilf wasn't injured we have no depth. We are able to benefit from the versatility of Townsend being able to slot in at RWB if necessary once enabled by greater depth in the front 3. This enhances the squad picture greatly.

I expect Burke will be first reserve for the front 3 at present and named on the bench. He will get plenty of game time either as impact sub or starting when we have a member of the front three out or Townsend at RWB. Another centre back signing (or Tomkins fit and I would expect Fosu-Mensah to be the first choice RWB rather than Townsend. Huddersfield was poor, but I am encouraged by the flexibility and therefore inherent depth the manager is planning.

This

croydonexile
18-08-2017, 07:12 AM
Nothing to see here I'm afraid

Kai
18-08-2017, 07:14 AM
This would be a fine signing. People were raving about the kid when we were interested last year, so no need to change that. But I do fear that we will be very short on experience if al those we sign are 20-21 year olds. We should be signing players in their prime too.

jimmy the gent
18-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Is he any good in goal?

cpfcfan1
18-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Nothing to see here I'm afraid

And there's the bump back down to earth

Haha

costello
18-08-2017, 07:18 AM
What does Phil Barber have to say?

scro
18-08-2017, 07:27 AM
Seeing as there is barely a scottish player that is good enough for the premier league. I worry.

GreatGonzo
18-08-2017, 07:36 AM

THis is not essential and a striker is?

We have Benteke!!!!

We do not have 2 wide forwards which is were Burke will play - this is the essential position to fill!

Mr Palace
18-08-2017, 07:43 AM
We can't play the season with striker! We need someone who can play in the front 3 - maybe Burke - and we need someone who can provide competition and cover for Benteke. Both are essential positions to strengthen.

Speron1
18-08-2017, 07:48 AM
THis is not essential and a striker is?

We have Benteke!!!!

We do not have 2 wide forwards which is were Burke will play - this is the essential position to fill!

Who have we got if Benteke gets injured?

mroakley9
18-08-2017, 07:48 AM

We play Mutch as a false 9

pallet
18-08-2017, 07:52 AM
We can play Mutch as a false footballer?

GreatGonzo
18-08-2017, 07:59 AM
https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2017/august/from-the-boardroom-huddersfield-town/

If that link works, scroll to the transfers part. Not conclusive of course, but to me says not much spending power

Strange comments.

He has a point regarding the top teams and how they will comply with UEFA FFP rules, however they do not apply to us and we are nowhere near breaching them.

The FFP rules in the PL only affects the wage bills so there is absolutely no connection between FFP and transfer fees in the Premier League. He makes no mention of wages which is where the issue lies.

I would suggest that he is using the term of FFP, bringing in the top level teams to help lower expectations this summer. There is certainly a sentence where he says this will not be another record breaking window which puts the net spend below 35-40m so hard to see us making a move for Sakho even at 20m.

Am more than willing for someone to point out how any FFP rules that Palace will have to comply with this season are affected by transfer fees but to my knowledge there are none and i think Parish is being a little bit cute.

GreatGonzo
18-08-2017, 08:01 AM

1st half of your post answers the second half surely?

orp pisshead1
18-08-2017, 08:02 AM
Seeing as there is barely a scottish player that is good enough for the premier league. I worry.

Pre paring for the championship innit ;):(

GreatGonzo
18-08-2017, 08:05 AM

Lets worry about the cover once we have the starting XI covered!

People seem to be more concerned about where they can get petrol before they have en bought the bloody car!

andyocpfc
18-08-2017, 08:10 AM
Lets worry about the cover once we have the starting XI covered!

People seem to be more concerned about where they can get petrol before they have en bought the bloody car!

TBF, there's no point buying a car in the first place if there is no petrol available anyhow, and vice versa - unless you're capable of transferring to electric.......and that's assuming you have the adaptor to plug it into main (and you can afford mains electricity).