PDA

View Full Version : Sit down protest in the Arthur Waite.

Danny_Cheviot
20-08-2017, 07:58 AM
Does anyone remember a sit down protest in the Arthur Waite around the early to mid 80s?

There were rumours of a merger with QPR so my mate and I joined the crowd and sat down for about 20 mins after the game.

But then we had to leave as our Mums would be wondering where we were.

Thought we made our point. :p

in-exile
20-08-2017, 08:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q_EDaaJOPw

cpfc4evandeva
20-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Wasn't the merger meant to be with Wimbledon and Charlton?

thefox
20-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Wasn't the merger meant to be with Wimbledon and Charlton?

Wasn't there numerous rumours of mergers during the eighties ?

bubbs11
20-08-2017, 08:43 AM
There's been a sit down protest in the Arthur Wait since 1991.

Okay not funny.

Yes, I remember this protest but couldn't place the year. Blackburn comes to mind for some reason. Think it was over rumours of a South London merger with Charlton and Wimbledon. We were even given a vote on the matter if I remember rightly.

Harry Holmesdale
20-08-2017, 08:48 AM
No Dons
No Rons
No Cons

SE25 exile
20-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Wrong forum

wedgetail
20-08-2017, 09:15 AM
The proposed QPR merger was with Wimbledon, Hammam was trying some weird ideas to get shot of the Wombles.

Thanet Eagle
23-08-2017, 03:47 PM
The protest clearly worked !

bestperch
23-08-2017, 07:18 PM
Wasn't that the time that Noadseys' Bentley got a bit of a kicking ?

old git
23-08-2017, 07:31 PM
There's been a sit down protest in the Arthur Wait since 1991.

Okay not funny.

Yes, I remember this protest but couldn't place the year. Blackburn comes to mind for some reason. Think it was over rumours of a South London merger with Charlton and Wimbledon. We were even given a vote on the matter if I remember rightly.

Pretty sure it was a match against Blackburn.Could have been around 1985.

El Aguila
23-08-2017, 07:40 PM
I remember. We were in the Whitehorse. We invaded the pitch after the game. Clearly, we won.

El Aguila
23-08-2017, 07:41 PM
yes, 1985.

Jim Cannon
23-08-2017, 07:43 PM
Think it was over rumours of a South London merger with Charlton and Wimbledon.

Just Wimbledon, not the Clowns as well

Zohar's Penalty
23-08-2017, 07:50 PM
This is mentioned on the centenary DVD, no?

Trainspotter
23-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Was 1987 not 1985 around Feb, think we won 2-0

El Aguila
23-08-2017, 08:22 PM
It was 1985, I found out about the fiendish scheme on the boat back from the mainland, i can date it precisely.

ElwissAtMemphis
23-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Saturday 28th February 1987. Palace 2-0 Blackburn (Wright, Irvine).

It was the season in which we were in realistic contention to qualify for the inaugural play-offs until the final fixture and, if you believed Noades' bluster (I didn't), our very future was being decided that afternoon via a few sheepish volunteers with clipboards. The apparently sincere suggestion that the new club would go by the name of "Crystal Palace & Wimbledon FC" OR ... "Wimbledon & Crystal Palace FC" said it all.

The day's attendance was 5,891. Never one to miss out an opportunity to make a buck, Ron had deemed that you had to turn up for the match to get a vote unless you'd filled in some exemption forms in triplicate. This policy reached its natural conclusion with the generous offer of signing up for Lifeline getting you to the front of the queue for Cup Final tickets.

Unbelievably, nobody seemed to be particularly enthused and the official result came in at about 90% in favour of "Piss Off". I suspect that that was a tactical underestimate in the same way that Mugabe, Hussein, Assad & the various Kims rarely claim to get more than 98% of the vote when they stand unopposed in their elections.

With the benefit of hindsight, it was probably just another chapter in the half-hearted long-term project between Noades & Sam Hammam to engulf Wimbledon into the less than mightly folds of CPFC for some reason. Grim times, yes but just 2 and a half years later we were beating Blackburn in the Play-Off final in front of 30,000.

And today ... it all seems a wee bit silly looking back. In fact Ron's pipedreams of a South London superclub look a hell of a lot worse than silly. Ill-conceived, futile, pointless, delusional etc etc

redandblue
23-08-2017, 09:34 PM
I was in the advertiser holding a misspelt banner that Kevin Jones RIP had painted and I remember all through the game singing "you can stick your """Ingle merger up your arse"

Kylie_Tracey
23-08-2017, 09:35 PM

It was the season in which we were in realistic contention to qualify for the inaugural play-offs until the final fixture and, if you believed Noades' bluster (I didn't), our very future was being decided that afternoon via a few sheepish volunteers with clipboards. The apparently sincere suggestion that the new club would go by the name of "Crystal Palace & Wimbledon FC" OR ... "Wimbledon & Crystal Palace FC" said it all.

The day's attendance was 5,891. Never one to miss out an opportunity to make a buck, Ron had deemed that you had to turn up for the match to get a vote unless you'd filled in some exemption forms in triplicate. This policy reached its natural conclusion with the generous offer of signing up for Lifeline getting you to the front of the queue for Cup Final tickets.

Unbelievably, nobody seemed to be particularly enthused and the official result came in at about 90% in favour of "Piss Off". I suspect that that was a tactical underestimate in the same way that Mugabe, Hussein, Assad & the various Kims rarely claim to get more than 98% of the vote when they stand unopposed in their elections.

With the benefit of hindsight, it was probably just another chapter in the half-hearted long-term project between Noades & Sam Hammam to engulf Wimbledon into the less than mightly folds of CPFC for some reason. Grim times, yes but just 2 and a half years later we were beating Blackburn in the Play-Off final in front of 30,000.

And today ... it all seems a wee bit silly looking back. In fact Ron's pipedreams of a South London superclub look a hell of a lot worse than silly. Ill-conceived, futile, pointless, delusional etc etc

he's sell his old mum for a pound note wouldn't he? oh I forgot !!

salad fan club
23-08-2017, 09:47 PM

I was there. I remember thinking it was going to happen regardless of any vote glad I was wrong

El Aguila
23-08-2017, 10:09 PM
That's pretty precise, I guess.

Se9 eagles
24-08-2017, 05:24 AM

The name being mooted was the 'South London Eagles' in deference to our much bigger fan base even though Wimbledon were in the top division and we were getting crowds of 5000.Dark days indeed but some of us never stopped going:love:!

cad
27-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Blackburn - 28/2/87

AddoWolz
27-08-2017, 08:33 AM
I remember this , after the site down in the Arthur about 150 fans went round to the main entrance in the old stand , there was a bit of argy bargy and some crash barriers got put through the main glass doors , o'well I guess Ron got the message , happy days :p

whyteleafeeagle
05-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Blackburn - 28/2/87

Are there any hi res versions of these brilliant pics?

CP Satellite
06-09-2017, 05:52 AM
yes, 1985.

There was quite a large protest in 1985 in the car park outside the Main Stand. It was after Wimbledon had tonked us 5-0 at home, people had really had enough of Noades by now and after the fiasco of appointing first Dario Gradi to replace Malcolm Allison, then sacking Kember to replace him with Mullery, at the start of this season, Bassett joined from Wimbledon, but went back three days later, we had already lost 3-2 away and his was our first ever League game at home to Wimbledon.

This demo was really against Noades, but nearly everyone liked the manager, in his first season, Steve Coppell, although there was no sign of three at the back and trying to pass the ball from defence to midfield in those days!

N Herts Eagle
06-09-2017, 06:02 AM

And today ... it all seems a wee bit silly looking back. In fact Ron's pipedreams of a South London superclub look a hell of a lot worse than silly. Ill-conceived, futile, pointless, delusional etc etc Good Post, though the last paragraph if it all goes tits up and with the hassle over the New Den I do wonder if the Phoenix will rise on the South London super club......

Groinstrain
06-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Blackburn - 28/2/87

Nice pics! Happy Days....well you know what I mean! I bet none of us in that picture are on here bitching and moaning about 'how shite' the Club is today!
For us these times are incredible!!