PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Vranjes

Thefunkymonk
21-08-2017, 09:33 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/crystal-palace-eye-defender-vranjes-11028608.amp

GreatGonzo
21-08-2017, 09:37 PM
Great. We are looking at players who's value we think is 2m. What could go wrong?

Elephant with mouse gyp
21-08-2017, 09:49 PM
Encouraging that he's played with Luca.

DARZET EAGLE
21-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Great. We are looking at players who's value we think is 2m. What could go wrong?

Many have said we need to look for bargains abroad, so why not if his quality is thought to be up to Premier League standard. I have no idea who he is.

Excowboy
21-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Played for 11 teams at the age of 27. 5'11" centre-back. Seems to have had his contract mutually terminated last couple of clubs he's been at. Agent story?

DARZET EAGLE
21-08-2017, 10:11 PM
Played for 11 teams at the age of 27. 5'11" centre-back. Seems to have had his contract mutually terminated last couple of clubs he's been at. Agent story?

I hope so on that information.:eek:

cpfcben
21-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Another small centre back. No thanks.

Stinger1
21-08-2017, 10:14 PM
I trust FdB to know what to look for in centre back.

Martin H
21-08-2017, 10:29 PM
Be very surprised if our interest was the result of the highlights videos that I just watched because it's almost a video of reasons why you wouldn't sign him :( Missed tackles, elbows someone, jumping and sliding, missed headers. The lowlights must be a real treat.

Hopefully we know better than the video via Luka

Penstone Eagle
22-08-2017, 05:57 AM

Good for you.

GreatGonzo
22-08-2017, 06:15 AM
Many have said we need to look for bargains abroad, so why not if his quality is thought to be up to Premier League standard. I have no idea who he is.

If he is up to PL quality he is worth the 4.5m buyout surely.

Bipe
22-08-2017, 07:01 AM

Precisely - look how those Mahrez and Kante signings turned out for Leicester. Both useless because they were cheap.

Stockport_Eagle
22-08-2017, 07:11 AM
Not a lot at 2m...40 odd international caps for a reputable side...suspect he'd be better than Kelly or Delaney...and if he's decent Spurs or Liverpool can then take him for 20m and we start to have a sustainable transfer policy.

SilentAssassin
22-08-2017, 07:18 AM
He is genuinely not good enough for this level. Luka always had something about him while playing in Greece that meant that he could step up - this guy though I can't see it.

That said, I have no problem in the scouts looking for a bargain and I wouldn't be put off by signing a player for 2-5million from a player where there isn't such inflated fee's going about in other countires. Just look at the prices the Portugese clubs manage to get for their players over the last few years for example.

We paid a bit through the nose for Luka because we had to. If that transfer were to of happened in the summer I reckon we could have got him a bit cheaper. His replacement used to play for Panionios, Manolis Siopis. he had offers to join Forest, Gent and Olympiacos this summer and chose the latter. From watching him, I think he could easily make the step up in a few years like Luka.

If they are not playing at Olympiacos in the Greek league, they will either be incredibly young, raw players or they are players that aren't quite up to the standard of the Premier League football.

Terrace Bickle
22-08-2017, 07:52 AM
Not a lot at 2m...40 odd international caps for a reputable side...suspect he'd be better than Kelly or Delaney...

This, better stand-by than what we have.

Sceagle
22-08-2017, 08:24 AM
He is genuinely not good enough for this level. Luka always had something about him while playing in Greece that meant that he could step up - this guy though I can't see it.

That said, I have no problem in the scouts looking for a bargain and I wouldn't be put off by signing a player for 2-5million from a player where there isn't such inflated fee's going about in other countires. Just look at the prices the Portugese clubs manage to get for their players over the last few years for example.

We paid a bit through the nose for Luka because we had to. If that transfer were to of happened in the summer I reckon we could have got him a bit cheaper. His replacement used to play for Panionios, Manolis Siopis. he had offers to join Forest, Gent and Olympiacos this summer and chose the latter. From watching him, I think he could easily make the step up in a few years like Luka.

If they are not playing at Olympiacos in the Greek league, they will either be incredibly young, raw players or they are players that aren't quite up to the standard of the Premier League football.

Sounds like you watch a look of Greek football?

cdm61
22-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Signing low grade players gets us no where

aj4england
22-08-2017, 08:30 AM

The polish internationals we were linked with are a far better bet. Jairo has already demonstrated that 6foot and under brings problems as a centre back in the premier. Adrian M was decent but not tall enough

SilentAssassin
22-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Sounds like you watch a look of Greek football?

A fair bit. Mainly when Panionios play of course. Normally the better players in Greece get picked up by Olympiacos as only really Panathanikos and PAOK have the financial clout to come near them. Most Panionios fans I spoke to all said Luka could play at a better level but needed to control his temprament. I think what was surprising was how quickly he settled, I didn't think he was going to make such an immediate impact as he did. Maybe that was down to playing a better class of players?
Olympiacos are a good team but Zaha, Benteke, Townsend, Cabaye would easily get in their first 11.

I went over for the European play off game between Panionios - PAOK, one of the few players I thought stood out in a game ruined by referee decisions (it was worse than Clattenburg/Moss level of ineptitude), PAOK had a player called Diego Biseswar who looked quite decent. Not sure he would be much use in the Premier League but did seem like he had that bit of class that he could turn a game and pretty much took control of the game.

For example Siopis went for peanuts when in a few years they could get anywhere between 5-10 million for him if he fulfils his potential.

I could be totally wrong about Vranjes but last season at AEK he was hardly a standout player in a side that I think would struggle against the better Championship clubs.

smoll
22-08-2017, 09:42 AM
I don't. He played Riedwald ahead of Tomkins v Huddersfield

Thefunkymonk
22-08-2017, 09:45 AM
The polish internationals we were linked with are a far better bet. Jairo has already demonstrated that 6foot and under brings problems as a centre back in the premier. Adrian M was decent but not tall enough

Jairo is 6ft

Nigelbrag
22-08-2017, 10:27 AM
I am finding it hard to work out our transfer policy on Centre Backs, fine i accept Sakho is beyond what we wish to pay, then Chambers came into the mix for weeks and disappeared as quickly from the radar, along with others names and now we hear about this guy.
We have currently Dann, Tomkins, Delaney, Kelly and Riedewald, is this player at our estimated value of 2m going to be an improvement? if not why bother, or is it we are really so financially struggling? i can't believe this can be so.
And when we see teams like Brighton, Huddersfield, Watford, Bournemouth, Leicester, Swansea and even BURNLEY spending what it takes to give them a realistic chance to stay up, it's making Palace look like paupers, surely that cant be true? so what has gone wrong.
I reserve judgement for now as i really do believe we WILL spend a reasonable amount that will surprise most before the window shuts, or maybe i am just hoping.
But for sure if we don't then relegation will be a big big possibility come May.

mikeywm3
22-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Mentioned in this Fifield article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/22/crystal-palace-bid-rb-leipzig-oliver-burke?CMP=share_btn_tw

Stellavista
22-08-2017, 04:57 PM
Vranjes sounds like something you wouldn't want to catch.

Palestinian
22-08-2017, 05:42 PM
A fair bit. Mainly when Panionios play of course. Normally the better players in Greece get picked up by Olympiacos as only really Panathanikos and PAOK have the financial clout to come near them. Most Panionios fans I spoke to all said Luka could play at a better level but needed to control his temprament. I think what was surprising was how quickly he settled, I didn't think he was going to make such an immediate impact as he did. Maybe that was down to playing a better class of players?
Olympiacos are a good team but Zaha, Benteke, Townsend, Cabaye would easily get in their first 11.

I went over for the European play off game between Panionios - PAOK, one of the few players I thought stood out in a game ruined by referee decisions (it was worse than Clattenburg/Moss level of ineptitude), PAOK had a player called Diego Biseswar who looked quite decent. Not sure he would be much use in the Premier League but did seem like he had that bit of class that he could turn a game and pretty much took control of the game.

For example Siopis went for peanuts when in a few years they could get anywhere between 5-10 million for him if he fulfils his potential.

I could be totally wrong about Vranjes but last season at AEK he was hardly a standout player in a side that I think would struggle against the better Championship clubs.

Sounds as though we would be much better sticking with Martin Kelly then.

Jim Cannon
22-08-2017, 06:02 PM
If he is up to PL quality he is worth the 4.5m buyout surely.

If you can get him for 2M why pay more than double. However, he may of course be shit. I have no idea, never heard of him