PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Martin Kelly (Summer 2017)

RisZero
22-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Guardian claims Burnley are interested in signing Martin Kelly

...However, there may be departures, too, to trim a hefty wage bill. Yohan Cabaye has entered the final 12 months of his contract Monaco, Milan and Marseille are credited with an interest in the midfielder and Burnley are understood to be interested in signing Martin Kelly.

Nostrils
22-08-2017, 01:57 PM
I really like Martin Kelly, he may not be the best, but he's got heart. Wise decision for him to move on, just can't see him getting much time with the new passing out from the back business.

SilentAssassin
22-08-2017, 01:57 PM
Only signed a new deal last season. I wonder what sort of fee would be involved if he were to leave.

Annoyingly, he strikes me as a player that would thrive at Burnley with more chance of playing in their first 11.

RisZero
22-08-2017, 01:59 PM
I really like Martin Kelly, he may not be the best, but he's got heart. Wise decision for him to move on, just can't see him getting much time with the new passing out from the back business.

Likewise never minded having him as a squad player, and think he even did well at CB recently. If this pans out its likely a move that benefits everyone so can have no complaints really. Hope he does well but not too well :D

cpfcfan1
22-08-2017, 02:01 PM
15 million

CharlieCPFC
22-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Would be a good move for both parties, surely we should be looking upwards of 6M.

alfiejay
22-08-2017, 02:03 PM
15 million

:D

RisZero
22-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Would be a good move for both parties, surely we should be looking upwards of 6M.

I could see us making a profit (on fee, maybe not after wages), though sometimes its about more than just that if you just need to open up spaces/wages. We will have to see if it happens.

Rasheed Harkouk
22-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Would save a nice wedge off the wage bill

Martin H
22-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Only signed a new deal last season. I wonder what sort of fee would be involved if he were to leave.

Annoyingly, he strikes me as a player that would thrive at Burnley with more chance of playing in their first 11.

I tend to agree. He has improved with getting more games at CB and I suspect he will continue to do so. If we are really not going to pick him then we probably should let him go for his sake. Can see him doing really well alongside the right sort of partner.

mushroom
22-08-2017, 02:10 PM
I like him. Would love to see him get a run of games at centre back. Maybe a loan to a top end championship club... then bring him back in Jan.

mroakley9
22-08-2017, 02:18 PM
Heaton + 10 million otherwise Parish shouldn't even pick up the phone

pardew's shorts
22-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Burnley's transfer strategy is pure Brexit.

Stinger1
22-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Be interesting to see what Burnley bid, you would think if they really wanted him could get up to 8 million+.

eddieskyclad
22-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Might never live up to his early potential but I quite liked him... I wonder how he would've progressed had Pulis stayed.

Jim Cannon
22-08-2017, 02:58 PM
It will be "undisclosed" as always but we tend to let players go cheap unless they are first teamers.

RisZero
22-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Ill go ahead an guess 3.5m

SEEPEEEFFSEE
22-08-2017, 03:05 PM
I can't see anyone valuing MK at more than 5M

Ralph
22-08-2017, 03:07 PM
It will be "undisclosed" as always but we tend to let players go cheap unless they are first teamers.

How do you know if it's always undisclosed?

CP-RJW
22-08-2017, 03:08 PM
He'd be good at a team like Burnley, where he essentially just has to defend with his back to the wall and hoof it out when there's danger. It's his all round game, composure on the ball, passing etc that makes him not really up to our new system, but at Burnley these flaws in his game wouldn't matter much. I'd still be happy to see him stay as a squad player though, good attitude, always gives 100% and seemingly is content with being 5th choice.

orp pisshead1
22-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Might never live up to his early potential but I quite liked him... I wonder how he would've progressed had Pulis stayed.

Very well I'd imagine as he'd be disciplined in art of defending and positioning and imo he'd also thrive under someone like Dyche. They said recently on radio that fees for a premiership player are edging towards starting at 10 mill so 10 mill please Burnley :p.

Stinger1
22-08-2017, 03:27 PM
Very well I'd imagine as he'd be disciplined in art of defending and positioning and imo he'd also thrive under someone like Dyche. They said recently on radio that fees for a premiership player are edging towards starting at 10 mill so 10 mill please Burnley :p.

Depends when his contract runs out. Transfermarkt says its 2018 so with only a year left think we'll do well to get more 5 million.

AJ
22-08-2017, 03:29 PM
If he leaves he will be back in the England squad in 6 months and Burnleys POTY.. that is the Palace curse :)

cpfcfan1
22-08-2017, 03:30 PM
If he leaves he will be back in the England squad in 6 months and Burnleys POTY.. that is the Palace curse :)

And score the winner header against us at our place?

orp pisshead1
22-08-2017, 03:32 PM
Depends when his contract runs out. Transfermarkt says its 2018 so with only a year left think we'll do well to get more 5 million.

This last year of contract doesn't seem to apply any more in keeping fees down.

Stinger1
22-08-2017, 03:41 PM
This last year of contract doesn't seem to apply any more in keeping fees down.

Yeah the question is who can they get better than Kelly with Premier League experience for lets say 6 million? It's hard to think of someone worth less than that at his with his experience.

AJ
22-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Yeah the question is who can they get better than Kelly with Premier League experience for lets say 6 million? It's hard to think of someone worth less than that at his with his experience.
Its not about like for like, well it shouldn't be for squad players. Either replace with a youngster or buy someone better for more, which we may have done with Rieldewald for 13m and just 20.

PHIL BARBER
22-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Very strong chance

PALACEWU
22-08-2017, 04:26 PM
Very strong chance

Please **** off

RisZero
22-08-2017, 04:27 PM
When you know its time for popcorn

Jim Cannon
22-08-2017, 04:55 PM
How do you know if it's always undisclosed?

:D very true, I don't but it seems that way

in-exile
22-08-2017, 05:03 PM
I would rather we kept the guy ... Never lets us down and puts in a shift ... Keep!

McpfcS
22-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Very strong chance

Attention seeking loser

Reg_Maudling
22-08-2017, 09:29 PM
If Phil barber says he will either stay or go then I think he has a very good chance of being right

thereichstuff
22-08-2017, 09:37 PM
If Phil barber says he will either stay or go then I think he has a very good chance of being right

Going by his track record he'd be wrong .

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
He signed a new deal earlier this year.

glaziers fan
I was excited when we signed him. A guy with an England cap who could prosper if he could get over his injury nightmares and enjoy a run of games. He's also a solid pro. But he doesn't have the ability. He lacks ability on the ball, he is poor in the air for his height and although he's not slow once he gets going he has the turning circle of an oil tanker. If we can ship him out for a decent fee let's get it done. (4m+)

NickinOx
22-08-2017, 09:42 PM
15 million

Plus add ons!

Pikie Punisher
22-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Heaton + 10 million otherwise Parish shouldn't even pick up the phone

He should if it's Liverpool calling offering Mama to us for say 12 mill.

johnp
22-08-2017, 10:17 PM
I would rather we kept the guy ... Never lets us down and puts in a shift ... Keep!

I'd rather have him than Ward now.

orp pisshead1
23-08-2017, 08:25 AM

Agree and this is more of a damning comment on our ' scouting system' than anything.

kark
23-08-2017, 08:52 AM
When you know its time for popcorn

:D:D:D:D:supergrin::supergrin:

glaziers fan
23-08-2017, 09:03 AM
I'd rather have him than Ward now.

I wouldn't. Ward is a much better defender.

Owngoal
23-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Kelly was England class alongside Sakho. So much depends on what happens there. Excellent to have on the bench. We have to think about contracts and Ward is in his final year.

mb23
23-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Kelly was England class alongside Sakho. So much depends on what happens there. Excellent to have on the bench. We have to think about contracts and Ward is in his final year.

He won't even make our bench if we sign another CB. If we sign one, then either Ward or Kelly will go - probably Ward.

Mictor Voses
23-08-2017, 02:07 PM
This one will be going through I understand.

kestoneagle
23-08-2017, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't. Ward is a much better defender.

I can't let that one go....have you seen Ward lately? He's no more than the same as Kelly at best IMO.

Kidofwonder
23-08-2017, 02:24 PM
sell sell sell

Pinkie Brown
23-08-2017, 02:41 PM
If Phil barber says he will either stay or go

Odds on he gets stuck in purgatory then

prizesucker
23-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Kelly was England class alongside Sakho.

Explains why he is the only english defender we (currently) have that has an England cap. ;)

Martin Kelly is a modern day Dean Austin. The volume of abuse he has taken has been biblical & yet he hasn't moaned about it, not sulked to the press, hasn't demanded a move publically or anything like that. He has been a good professional in that regard & even his harshest critics would conceed that he did put in some good performances last season under Allardyce. (He was also good vs ipswich)

Martin H
23-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Explains why he is the only english defender we (currently) have that has an England cap. ;)

Martin Kelly is a modern day Dean Austin. The volume of abuse he has taken has been biblical & yet he hasn't moaned about it, not sulked to the press, hasn't demanded a move publically or anything like that. He has been a good professional in that regard & even his harshest critics would conceed that he did put in some good performances last season under Allardyce. (He was also good vs ipswich)

Good points TBH.

andyocpfc
23-08-2017, 02:55 PM
He's one of those players you never really want to see starting a game but feel he's a very decent player to come on in times of crisis and do a job, well. Can imagine he's not a pain in the arse either in the squad, nor demanding to start every game.

Owngoal
23-08-2017, 03:00 PM

The abuse was from morons who did not put the blame on Pardew for playing him totally out of position at left back. He had some decent performances at right back before that and was excellent alongside MS. To me he is ideal to have on the bench especially if we are hanging on. Ward will be going for nothing in 10 months so clear who should be going. Both players are 110% guys.

As you say, was good last night

gilesy14
23-08-2017, 03:12 PM
He's one of those players you never really want to see starting a game but feel he's a very decent player to come on in times of crisis and do a job, well. Can imagine he's not a pain in the arse either in the squad, nor demanding to start every game.

I had no issue when he was starting alongside Sakho or Tomkins last season - he looked assured. We kept a clean sheet against Arsenal & went up to Liverpool & won when it didn't seem possible without Mamadou. Not to mention he marked Harry Kane out of a game who was arguably the most in form striker in world football come the end of the 2016/17. He's a very, very capable centre half.

Sadly, many judge him by his performances when Pardew hung him out to dry in his 3rd best position at left back & his confidence was shot to pieces. Pathetic really.

Whatever happens, if he stays here - great. Can still do a job & seems a great character. Should he go, all the best to him - he'd do a great job for a side like Burnley.

wedgetail
23-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Kelly is a very weak footballer. Weak as in strength and weak as in ability.

mushroom
23-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Kelly is a very weak footballer. Weak as in strength and weak as in ability.

Nah.... he's a unit.

Good back up player

andyocpfc
23-08-2017, 03:21 PM
I had no issue when he was starting alongside Sakho or Tomkins last season - he looked assured. We kept a clean sheet against Arsenal & went up to Liverpool & won when it didn't seem possible without Mamadou. Not to mention he marked Harry Kane out of a game who was arguably the most in form striker in world football come the end of the 2016/17. He's a very, very capable centre half.

Sadly, many judge him by his performances when Pardew hung him out to dry in his 3rd best position at left back & his confidence was shot to pieces. Pathetic really.

Whatever happens, if he stays here - great. Can still do a job & seems a great character. Should he go, all the best to him - he'd do a great job for a side like Burnley.

Yep, Agree on all of that Gilesy. I remember one game in particular during the latter stages of the Pardew era when he played full back and he got absolute dogs abuse from the fans at the front of the stand. There is no way he couldn't have heard the vitriol that was aimed at him. I felt not only sorry for him but also angry for someone that gets on with his job, gives his all and plays wherever the manager tells him. As you say, Pardew hung him out to dry!

Sceagle
23-08-2017, 03:26 PM
We really don't need him, not matter what you think of his ability. Sorry Martin. You've been good.

Stavros 69
23-08-2017, 03:45 PM
If it frees up cash I'd rather keep Ward over Kelly.

The12thman
23-08-2017, 03:50 PM
What would people hope for 4/5m max?

He's a good professional squad player and utility man but he's 4th choice CB, 3rd choice LB, 3rd choice RB.

He represents good value for a well drilled, organised defensive side and as a utility man, but he's not a constant, first 11 stand out performer for us.

I would sell him to invest in other areas.

RisZero
23-08-2017, 03:54 PM
What would people hope for 4/5m max?

I could see just freeing up the wages being more important to the club but I wouldnt bet money on anything over a 4m fee. Thats no offense to Kelly, just I cant see us having much bargaining power for a player who is clearly 3rd/4th in line for us.

PauLo
23-08-2017, 04:01 PM
I could see just freeing up the wages being more important to the club but I wouldnt bet money on anything over a 4m fee. Thats no offense to Kelly, just I cant see us having much bargaining power for a player who is clearly 3rd/4th in line for us.

Even then, I can't see him freeing up much wages. Lets not forget we've already freed up a lot with a fair few releases earlier in the summer.

RisZero
23-08-2017, 04:03 PM
Even then, I can't see him freeing up much wages. Lets not forget we've already freed up a lot with a fair few releases earlier in the summer.

We do have 3 in that will have taken a chunk out of that however, and I was not suggesting that Kellys wage alone would pay all other siginings coming in this window