PDA

View Full Version : Rooney retires from International duty

Shipp Ahoy!
23-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Don't think a player should ever do so personally, though quite glad in a way!

Jim Cannon
23-08-2017, 12:18 PM
Everton will be happy

PeterH
23-08-2017, 12:21 PM
Mmmm. Should have been dropped for a while, but a rejuvenated squad player may have been useful in Russia.

EdMan
23-08-2017, 12:23 PM
Mmmm. Should have been dropped for a while, but a rejuvenated squad player may have been useful in Russia.

We'll get nowhere in Russia, with or without Rooney.

Kylie_Tracey
23-08-2017, 12:30 PM

the very last player we would have needed in Russia , should have been permanently dropped and never thought of again after the 2012 Euros, if ever a team regressed by basing it around one player it was England, the idiot of a national coach didn't help either.

Son of Coveta
23-08-2017, 12:33 PM
FA saying farewell to a legend,legend my arse. Maybe legend of Euro and World cup qualifiers. Had one decent Euro 2004 then cost us a shot at the 2006 World cup by stamping on Portuguese testiculos and has gone missing in major tournaments since.
Very happy about this, now we will not be wasting a place on some well past it player.

sheepy
23-08-2017, 12:33 PM

Agreed.

End of the day England suffered by basing their team around him and trying to fit him in. Those days are long gone.

But I've got a sneaky feeling he's going to have a very successful season with Everton and could easily get close to the 20 goal mark.

eagles #1
23-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Meh.

PeterH
23-08-2017, 12:36 PM
We'll get nowhere in Russia, with or without Rooney.

We might get trapped in a bar or run into back streets with the security forces looking the other way.

PeterH
23-08-2017, 12:37 PM
FA saying farewell to a legend,legend my arse. Maybe legend of Euro and World cup qualifiers. Had one decent Euro 2004 then cost us a shot at the 2006 World cup by stamping on Portuguese testiculos and has gone missing in major tournaments since.
Very happy about this, now we will not be wasting a place on some well past it player.

The last of the golden generation of big club wasters.

PeterH
23-08-2017, 12:38 PM
But I've got a sneaky feeling he's going to have a very successful season with Everton and could easily get close to the 20 goal mark.

Indeed _ I have to say I just replaced Benteke with Rooney in the fantasy thingy. Rooney was cheaper and seems much more likely to score goals than our Ben at this time.

BaldEagle96
23-08-2017, 01:20 PM

the drexciyan
23-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Nothing left to prove but we may turn out needing him next June.

Kylie_Tracey
23-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Nothing left to prove but we may turn out needing him next June.

good grief , he couldn't even control and pass a ball at the last Euros especially in the Iceland game,what on gods earth could he be any use for in the WC?

davech
23-08-2017, 03:39 PM
My thoughts go out to all those Russian Grannies now pondering whether life is still worth living

Buysakho
23-08-2017, 03:40 PM
Absolute disgrace, just like Shearer when he retired early. Let his country down.

Kylie_Tracey
23-08-2017, 03:46 PM
Absolute disgrace, just like Shearer when he retired early. Let his country down.

early? should have retired after the 2012 Euros , did nothing at the final stages of a tournament since was nothing short of a liability

Kylie_Tracey
23-08-2017, 03:47 PM
My thoughts go out to all those Russian Grannies now pondering whether life is still worth living

would have been the last final payday !

eagle mart
23-08-2017, 03:52 PM
A career of what could have been, in my opinion. His best tournament was Euro2004, wasn’t it?

Compare him to Beckham who retired having done everything he could and being the best he could have been, as a player… can Rooney say the same? I think he had another 10-15% in the tank at the peak of his powers.

Of course to play at that level for his whole career is quite something, I just don’t think he hit his full potential.

EdMan
23-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Search for "Russian granny" on google images and you will no longer be concerned....

Stavros 69
23-08-2017, 03:58 PM
early? should have retired after the 2012 Euros , did nothing at the final stages of a tournament since was nothing short of a liability

WTF he's only 31 now!!!

Kylie_Tracey
23-08-2017, 04:00 PM
WTF he's only 31 now!!!

even more reason for him to retire, looked and played like a 61 year old at the last Euros

waddoneagle
23-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Hes a wanker

Purepalace
23-08-2017, 04:58 PM
Makes sense. He can now fully concentrate on Shrek 4.

Yoda
23-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Makes sense. He can now fully concentrate on Shrek 4.

Have they named their new baby already?

PHIL BARBER
23-08-2017, 08:01 PM
I get a feeling we won't Qualify

in-exile
23-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Legend!
. Legendary as a W∆πk€r !

Joe85
23-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Southgate is a clueless wanker for trying to include him in the squad.

Olympian2
23-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Southgate is a clueless wanker

EFA

in-exile
23-08-2017, 08:25 PM
EFA Correct Edit.

RazorsEdge
23-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Search for "Russian granny" on google images and you will no longer be concerned....

For me and you, yes......but what about Looney.....he is bit different...

sheepy
23-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Southgate is a clueless wanker for trying to include him in the squad.

Personally I'd have left him out for now with a view to letting him concentrate on Everton, seeing if he can play his way into form in time for the summer.

Strip out the media narrative and he is still one of the better English strikers.

You don't win as much as he has, getting as many appearances and scoring as many goals as he has by being completely shit.

Joe85
23-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Personally I'd have left him out for now with a view to letting him concentrate on Everton, seeing if he can play his way into form in time for the summer.

Strip out the media narrative and he is still one of the better English strikers.

You don't win as much as he has, getting as many appearances and scoring as many goals as he has by being completely shit.I agree. But he has also proved beyond doubt that he cannot play as CM for England. Nor an AM.

danpalace07
24-08-2017, 02:11 AM
Turned up in one tournament. England legend, yeah right

beef
24-08-2017, 07:20 AM
Very good player but he's not world class in my opinion. I'm amazed that he is considered 'under appreciated' every time he starts scoring (after huge goalless spells). Feels like he peaked before 25 and never turned up for England after that. It's a shame because he was so exciting when he first broke through.

CP-RJW
24-08-2017, 10:24 AM
I agree. But he has also proved beyond doubt that he cannot play as CM for England. Nor an AM.
Or a winger as Woy proved in 2014...

palacea
24-08-2017, 10:44 AM
WTF he's only 31 now!!!

But has played a high number games that a 36 year old would have played.

Truth is he should have been omitted from England squads years ago.

As usual the gutless managers kept on picking names instead of a team.

little al
24-08-2017, 12:47 PM
He's retired because he realised he probably won't get picked.

CommercialStone
24-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Not sure on the retirement but he shouldn't be picked. He is only playing well at the moment as he has had a rest all summer. 2 months down the line he'll be shagged out again and playing ordinarily.

Goes down as one of the great England strikers though.

beef
24-08-2017, 01:14 PM
He's retired because he realised he probably won't get picked.

If he's playing well for Everton I reckon Southgate would pick him. I don't think he can leave the big names out.

saxoneagle
24-08-2017, 01:39 PM
I can't think of another country that treats their record goalscorer with such contempt.

saxoneagle
24-08-2017, 01:41 PM
Turned up in one tournament. England legend, yeah right

None of the ******* team turns up for most of them - why blame one player?

little al
24-08-2017, 01:46 PM
None of the ******* team turns up for most of them - why blame one player?

The team was built around him, he goes absent.

little al
24-08-2017, 01:46 PM
I can't think of another country that treats their record goalscorer with such contempt.

I treat them all with comtempt tbh.

saxoneagle
24-08-2017, 01:47 PM
The team was built around him, he goes absent.

That's bullshit.

eagle mart
24-08-2017, 01:54 PM
Beckham could not have been better than he was, and achieved that by branching out.

Gerard & Scholes could not have been any better than they were, and they remained one-club players.

I don’t think Rooney could say the same, fantastic youngster. But after 2004, on the world stage he did very little. He never reached the roof of his ability I think he had another 10-15% to go. And I imagine he has regrets about not moving – and other things that affected his career. Both him and Owen had the ability to achieve the highest England scorers of all time, by far. But things never panned out that way and neither progressed like we all hoped as youngsters.

Top class player though, anybody who plays Prem football from 17 – 31+ is at the top echelons of his game.

Just my opinion.

Kylie_Tracey
24-08-2017, 01:54 PM

that Iceland game he couldn't even control or pass a ball, the entire team looked like a pub team, dont you think a player on 300k/week should be performing slightly better? in the 2010 WC and his rant against the England supporters thousands who would have spent a small fortune to be out there to cheer on their team isnt exactly endearing himself to the fans is it? unacceptable behaviour in fact I cant think of another England player who has behaved similarity

saxoneagle
24-08-2017, 02:00 PM
that Iceland game he couldn't even control or pass a ball, the entire team looked like a pub team, dont you think a player on 300k/week should be performing slightly better? in the 2010 WC and his rant against the England supporters thousands who would have spent a small fortune to be out there to cheer on their team isnt exactly endearing himself to the fans is it? unacceptable behaviour in fact I cant think of another England player who has behaved similarity

So they all played like a pub team, in a team game, but you single out one?

They were all shit in that game, they all under-performed and whether they're on 30k or 300k makes no difference.

He's the most-capped outfield player and highest goalscorer for his country.

He's not a "legend" (a phrase that should be reserved for true greats anyway, IMO) but he's one of the best players this country (still) has.

beef
24-08-2017, 02:03 PM
I'd agree with that - I think the media overhype hasn't helped Rooney. Too much expectation for someone who is very good but nowhere near Ronaldo/Messi.

aj4england
24-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Ironically he has retired probably in advance of having his best season where has a defined role....also kind of don't mind him as much now he is back at Everton. Perhaps he moulded into the Man U stereotype too much

whereEaglesFly
24-08-2017, 02:08 PM

Can't think of another record goalscorer who has been so poor when it really matters either though

DAWSYEAGLE
24-08-2017, 02:15 PM
Always remember him going over to console our players at Wembley. He has morphed from a horrible little sh*t to a half decent human being.

saxoneagle
24-08-2017, 02:35 PM
Can't think of another record goalscorer who has been so poor when it really matters either though

Really? You can't think of another footballer, perhaps one of the world's best, who excels in friendlies and qualifiers but under-achieves at tournaments?

With 5 goals at WCs and 8 at Copas, combined with no trophies... I'll let you work it out.

Stavros 69
24-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Always remember him going over to console our players at Wembley. He has morphed from a horrible little sh*t to a half decent human being.

He was the difference at Wembley. If Pardew had half a brain we could have marked him out of the game.

Always liked Rooney mainly his desire to win. He never cheated just worked bloody hard and if half of the England team had half his desire they'd have won a major tournament.

He was a bit unlucky with injuries but both club and country should have managed them better.

pallet
24-08-2017, 02:51 PM
His main problem IMHO is that he playef in a man u side that were only had maybe 6 hard games a season, so he got lazy as it was eady fir him when he played for england against difficult teams he couldnt raise his game. Should have left the wankers years ago and gone to europe and tested himself.

Kylie_Tracey
24-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Really? You can't think of another footballer, perhaps one of the world's best, who excels in friendlies and qualifiers but under-achieves at tournaments?

With 5 goals at WCs and 8 at Copas, combined with no trophies... I'll let you work it out.

I guess you are referring to Messi, at least they made the final and he was inches away from scoring the winner, in the last WC, our team of reprobates and underachievers couldn't even get past the mighty Costa Ricans and were dumped in the group stage, a million miles of getting to a final, the Spanish team of 2010 would have smashed any international team out of sight and they rightly did, we still dont seem to learn from the German model who go into every tournament hungrier, fitter , stronger,quicker, better prepared, show better technique, our idiots who govern the game had us playing lucrative friendlies in the build up to the 2014 WC against the Peruvians, Ecuadorians and Hondurans who in turn kicked lumps out of our players where as The Germans were playing the equivalent of fourth division teams in their build up to the WC,its a wonder why we make the same mistakes every single time, every time.

CP-RJW
24-08-2017, 02:55 PM

Ronaldo and Messi both underachieve tbh, the former was decent at Euro 2016 but nowhere near as good as he can and should be, and in all previous tournaments he's done sweet **** all. Messi won the golden ball at the 2014 World Cup (was a bit underserved) and was good but still underachieved, this applies even more so at every other tournament, bar the odd copa maybe but it's not so hard when you're playing against Venezuela. Overall though they've still had decent tournaments in recent memory, when has Rooney since 2004?

whereEaglesFly
24-08-2017, 03:44 PM

That many goals in tournaments is far better than Rooney? Don't really get your point?

Lombardo's hair
24-08-2017, 09:19 PM
As much as I think Rooney should have not been picked for the Euros 2016 I do not think his lack of productivity in tournaments was due to his lack of ability but more to do with bad managers and poor team selection and crap tactics. Too many players picked because of who they play for and not what they can do.

Selhurst Celtic
24-08-2017, 09:46 PM
He should've declared for Ireland. He would have been a pin up boy etc.

jrnicholson
24-08-2017, 11:11 PM
Retire? how can a player "retire" from the England squad; he means he is no longer available for selection should anyone in the future completely lose their marbles and put him on the list. It's just a way to make it look as though it's his decision about who gets picked. w@nker.

Benzhiyi
24-08-2017, 11:43 PM
Retire? how can a player "retire" from the England squad; he means he is no longer available for selection should anyone in the future completely lose their marbles and put him on the list. It's just a way to make it look as though it's his decision about who gets picked. w@nker.

He was called up by Southgate and turned him down.

Retiring from international football isn't a new concept, whatever one thinks of Rooney.

PeterH
24-08-2017, 11:54 PM

Messi is widely criticised in Argentina. The see him as Barcelona first, and Argie second.

Criticised much more than Rooney.