PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Some huge decisions to make in the next 4 days

PoshPalace
27-08-2017, 08:00 AM
I don't envy being Steve Parish at the moment. So many key questions to consider and so little time:

1. The majority owners of the club clearly have no appetite for the annual relegation dogfight (and as Pards pointed out, don't really understand football). They want a quick return on their investment, then to cut and run. How do you reconcile this with making the three or four key signings which might get our season back on track?

2. Do you back your new manager in his continuing quest to change the playing culture, when it clearly either doesn't fit with the players we have in the squad, or they are stubbornly refusing to try and adopt it? Can you buy enough round pegs for round holes in 4 days? Seems highly unlikely.

3. At what point do you have to insist that we actually have a very good first XI when they are deployed to their strengths, insist on returning to a 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 with wide men and service for Benteke, and buy some decent back up in positions where there is little depth?

4. Do you play the long game, let the Americans asset strip and manage an orderly relegation, relying on Dougie Freedman's talent for identifying value in the Football League ?

5. Do you seek to sell on to a completely new foreign owner because you've poured your life and soul in to the last 7 years and could do without the thankless hassle and aggravation?

This is now a very high stakes game of stick or twist, which could have far reaching consequences for Crystal Palace. Only time will tell if decisions made over the next few days were good ones.

Jim Cannon
27-08-2017, 08:04 AM
One thing you don't do is "prepare for the championship". Teams are going down and staying down. Look at Villa who are a much bigger club than us. I'm not suggesting a shit or bust approach by spending big but what we could bloody do is go back to basics and play a style and formation suited to our players.

cdm61
27-08-2017, 08:23 AM
You might add what quality player will join a relegation club?

RedStripe Eagle
27-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Easy, sell all players that we can, pay off any debt, bank the money and earn some interest, get 11 of the youth team (or anyone we cannot get rid of - which may be a lot of the current team) and walk out with a big flag every game with '**** the premier league - get it right up ye!!' Written on it and then go back to the dressing room! Job done & all sorted! Start again in the championship next year!:lux::lux:

Pat of the Palace
27-08-2017, 08:37 AM

Feckless mercenaries who won't give a monkey's if we go down. Looking for a last payday.

Pat of the Palace
27-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Easy, sell all players that we can, pay off any debt, bank the money and earn some interest, get 11 of the youth team (or anyone we cannot get rid of - which may be a lot of the current team) and walk out with a big flag every game with '**** the premier league - get it right up ye!!' Written on it and then go back to the dressing room! Job done & all sorted! Start again in the championship next year!:lux::lux:

I like it :)

PoshPalace
27-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Fair point. How long do you go on throwing good money about on 50k a week, 4 year contracts for mediocre players when you'll be on the hook for them if we go down. Agents just don't accept a reduction in pay as a result of relegation any more, and they know we are desperate.

xian1
27-08-2017, 08:59 AM
Sell Townsend for 15 million, loan in Skorupski, buy William Carvalho and Mama and get the young French striker from Le Havre. Most of these deals are structured these days, use our January contingency now and get this quality in ...

Jim Cannon
27-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Sell Townsend for 15 million, loan in Skorupski, buy William Carvalho and Mama and get the young French striker from Le Havre. Most of these deals are structured these days, use our January contingency now and get this quality in ...

Sell Townsend for 15M well thankfully he will not be sold at that price which would be madness

spy
27-08-2017, 10:00 AM

I thought two loans was the maximum?

Stats74
27-08-2017, 10:02 AM
Foreign loans are allowed. Maximum two from other Premier League clubs.

xian1
27-08-2017, 10:12 AM
Sell Townsend for 15M well thankfully he will not be sold at that price which would be madness

Do you believe the 27 million figure that Leicester want to pay ? No way we get more than 15 million

mpfn
27-08-2017, 10:33 AM
This is what happens when you leave it too late.
We need a minimum of 4 players as it stands, but outgoing players will need replacing as well.
Won't happen.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
27-08-2017, 10:42 AM
I think we could argue that Cabaye has already been replaced by Loftus-Cheek, so I can reluctantly understand that sale. He has 1 year left, is 31(?) and on big wages.

But if Townsend goes, then he certainly needs to be replaced - Ward as our first choice right midfielder is a scary thought.

We still haven't replaced a keeper we sold about a month ago (longer?). I don't think we should have sold without a replacement lined up.

Then there is the blindingly obvious striker problem (back-up for Benteke)

And we undoubtedly need someone to play in the first team alongside Wilf and Benteke. If that is going to be Loftus-Cheek, then we DO need to replace Cabaye after all.

Thefunkymonk
27-08-2017, 10:46 AM
This is what happens when you leave it too late.
We need a minimum of 4 players as it stands, but outgoing players will need replacing as well.
Won't happen.

Yep 4 days to sort out this shambles. Ridiculous management from the top

Prince Phillip
27-08-2017, 10:49 AM
No points, no goals; CPFC,
Give DeBoer the cash?; No Guarantees,
Defence is shite, midfield is poor,
Will we ever see Benteke Scooooore.......?
Long live Deadline Week,
Viva Deadline Week,
C'est Magnifique, Deadline Week,
Magnifique, Deadline Week............

Reps AJ
27-08-2017, 10:50 AM

Still at least we've learned from last year...

Oh :(

davech
27-08-2017, 10:56 AM

And make sure Brendan Guilfoyle is still on speed-dial....

Martin H
27-08-2017, 11:18 AM
As posted elsewhere I think the fundamental problem underpinning our 5 year struggle is that even now we haven't reached the tipping point for Premier quality players in the matchday squad.

The constant managerial changes, ageing players (moving past their peak) and a lack of a long term plan for squad strength/quality/ages because of sticking plaster signings. The annual fight against relegation has made short term decisions a way of life for the club.

We have dodged relegation with a 'Championship Cup-like' run on each occasion. The problem with that is that at some point you simply can't replicate that and we are running out of crap teams to complete with to ensure we beat 3.

Unless we are backed by some uber rich owners who agree to handle FPP then we are in a corner we can't get out of, which is why the big clubs all 'support FPP'. You get one shot at it at promotion time and frankly we screwed that up big time (understandably) and have been tussling with that ever since. The only other way out I can see is to shift our big cost, fee players and buy younger quality at astute prices. Our business so far is the sort of pattern but obviously purchases not loans.

So that may mean radical surgery and Benteke, Cabaye and Townsend would be casualties plus as many fringe, older players than we can jettison. But we need to have lined up the replacements beforehand or prices will soar yet again.
It is a bit like Football Manager roulette.

But expecting the current squad to survive, even if Sakho was added is kidding ourselves. I wouldn't choose to lose any of them, especially Cabaye. I get the feeling that Benteke is ticking over so far this season and maybe he knows this is the plan and deals are agreed somewhere.

The Vicar
27-08-2017, 11:25 AM
Still cannot believe SP has not dealt with the keeper situation.

Thefunkymonk
27-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Another issue is...

Who in their right mind is going to look at us and think we are a good prospect now?

We are a shambles

Crunchie
27-08-2017, 11:47 AM
As posted elsewhere I think the fundamental problem underpinning our 5 year struggle is that even now we haven't reached the tipping point for Premier quality players in the matchday squad.

The constant managerial changes, ageing players (moving past their peak) and a lack of a long term plan for squad strength/quality/ages because of sticking plaster signings. The annual fight against relegation has made short term decisions a way of life for the club.

We have dodged relegation with a 'Championship Cup-like' run on each occasion. The problem with that is that at some point you simply can't replicate that and we are running out of crap teams to complete with to ensure we beat 3.

Unless we are backed by some uber rich owners who agree to handle FPP then we are in a corner we can't get out of, which is why the big clubs all 'support FPP'. You get one shot at it at promotion time and frankly we screwed that up big time (understandably) and have been tussling with that ever since. The only other way out I can see is to shift our big cost, fee players and buy younger quality at astute prices. Our business so far is the sort of pattern but obviously purchases not loans.

So that may mean radical surgery and Benteke, Cabaye and Townsend would be casualties plus as many fringe, older players than we can jettison. But we need to have lined up the replacements beforehand or prices will soar yet again.
It is a bit like Football Manager roulette.

But expecting the current squad to survive, even if Sakho was added is kidding ourselves. I wouldn't choose to lose any of them, especially Cabaye. I get the feeling that Benteke is ticking over so far this season and maybe he knows this is the plan and deals are agreed somewhere.

We were still shit under Sam until Sakho started playing. I am all for getting Wimmer too don't get me wrong but we need to sell Dann/Tomkins/Kelly

Kai
27-08-2017, 11:56 AM
Parish and Freedman MUST sit down with FdB today and explain that things are not working and the decision time is now. They've had all fecking summer to find the right players and implement a new formation and nothing has been done. They only things we've got in are kids and a quick look at our bench shows there is nothing to support the First XI.

What manager chooses his formation before he knows his team? Sam and Pulis played to our strengths and it worked. That type of football is our strength with the players we have now and if the style is to change it must come gradually.
Pards tried and failed because the players didn't suit the system. De Boer will fail for the same reason.

I know it's not the thing that normally happens but now that Freedman has been appointed as sporting director I suppose it is his job to tell FdB that the tactics must be altered to fit the players. If he refuses to change then good riddance. The interests if the Club are greater than the interests of one or two people.

cdm61
27-08-2017, 12:03 PM
The interests of the club are the interests of the Yanks

Kidofwonder
27-08-2017, 12:35 PM

This is basically what is happening

chrisophiex
27-08-2017, 12:36 PM
I just get this horrible feeling of sleepwalking into an irreversible position.

People saying give him 10 games. I know we've only played 3 league games, but he's had a few pre season games too....so 6 games or so down the line and we look woeful, without any improvement.

You don't win football matches unless you start with a clean sheet mentality. I would be still quite comfortable with this situation if we were peppering the goal with chances, and scoring consistently. We can't defend and we don't score.

Big, big trouble.

bradpitt
27-08-2017, 12:36 PM
I wonder who actually does the negotiating for the transfers, presumable Parish himself and Teflon Two Admins, but if we're looking at multiple deals on deadline days surely there are more people involved.

AJ
27-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Putting on my calm sensible hat for a second, i think Parish has been scared off with the crazy prices for players and has waited until he hopes the prices go down. As a club we cannot afford paying 13m for an average player and 20m for something a little better. It maybe we need to look away from the prem league and find some cheaper options, although there is some huge risk in that. We spent around 30m in January and PvA looks a little better than Kelly, but worse than Ward, Shlupp doesnt get on the field and Luka hasnt looked 1/2 the player he did last season. I think Parish will fight to keep Wilf, but the rest of the team are available as we need the money to strengthen the rest of the team.

Martin H
27-08-2017, 01:40 PM
I think we have secretly completed deals for Chambers, Walcott another top striker/forward, a RWB, another CB and 2 GKs and just finalising the outbound with Frank on Monday.

Eagle's Nest
27-08-2017, 01:43 PM
I think we have secretly completed deals for Chambers, Walcott another top striker/forward, a RWB, another CB and 2 GKs and just finalising the outbound with Frank on Monday.

This being the best dream you've had in a long while?

Imagine Walcott at Palace. Arrives on deadline day, gets injured signing the contract.

The Vicar
27-08-2017, 01:45 PM

:supergrin:

Martin H
27-08-2017, 01:52 PM
This being the best dream you've had in a long while?

Imagine Walcott at Palace. Arrives on deadline day, gets injured signing the contract.

More likely during the photo shoot and after the contract is lodged. The flash blinding him, he stumbles and falls over the bannister landing on Wilf, Reuben and Yohan who were all playing cards. Scott pulled stomach Muscle laughing and Timbo pulled both groin muscles trying to clear the debris.

dim
27-08-2017, 01:52 PM
The club are still swimming with the dead weight of the Pardew legacy around our necks. The sort of dough he did on dogshit footballers is always going to be hard to rectify.

We have failed to replace or improve all over the park for 2 years now.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
27-08-2017, 01:53 PM
The club are still swimming with the dead weight of the Pardew legacy around our necks. The sort of dough he did on dogshit footballers is always going to be hard to rectify.

Sad but true

RisZero
27-08-2017, 01:57 PM

When Arsenals entire B-team rocks up on deadline day :D

Walcott drops the contract pen on Wilsheres foot putting him out of action for 6 months

CP-RJW
27-08-2017, 02:03 PM

Same thing happened at Newcastle, took them a relegation to get rid of shite Pardew brought in like Gouffran, Marveaux, Williamson, Riviere etc

Eaglesmad123
27-08-2017, 02:08 PM
He hasnt been backed properly in the window and that is the fault of the chairman

Wycombe Eagle#2
27-08-2017, 02:30 PM
I just get this horrible feeling of sleepwalking into an irreversible position.

People saying give him 10 games. I know we've only played 3 league games, but he's had a few pre season games too....so 6 games or so down the line and we look woeful, without any improvement.

You don't win football matches unless you start with a clean sheet mentality. I would be still quite comfortable with this situation if we were peppering the goal with chances, and scoring consistently. We can't defend and we don't score.

Big, big trouble.

Groundhog day with this club

S.P.R.
27-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Putting on my calm sensible hat for a second, i think Parish has been scared off with the crazy prices for players and has waited until he hopes the prices go down. As a club we cannot afford paying 13m for an average player and 20m for something a little better. It maybe we need to look away from the prem league and find some cheaper options, although there is some huge risk in that. We spent around 30m in January and PvA looks a little better than Kelly, but worse than Ward, Shlupp doesnt get on the field and Luka hasnt looked 1/2 the player he did last season. I think Parish will fight to keep Wilf, but the rest of the team are available as we need the money to strengthen the rest of the team.

Err..30m? Try more like 43m! Schlupp - 14m!, Van Aarnholt - 13m! Milivojević - 16m...

mylona
27-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Another issue is...

Who in their right mind is going to look at us and think we are a good prospect now?

We are a shambles

This is true, we are embarrassing.

Seanee Pawnee
27-08-2017, 02:50 PM
I honestly think we won't sign anyone!

mylona
27-08-2017, 02:54 PM
He hasnt been backed properly in the window and that is the fault of the chairman

Just as well if you look at what he is doing to the players he has.

JamTheEagle
27-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Once again another season has started and we look like one of, if not the, least prepared squads in the league and are deservedly in the bottom three.

This same shit has been going on for the past few seasons and nothing changes, I don't really see how any manager is going to make a difference if we can't even strengthen our squad that has been needing it for over 2 years now. It's pathetic, I can appreciate it isn't easy but when you see clubs like Huddersfield doing good business over the summer for not large amounts of money, it really does make you question what the hell is going on at the club.

I can't see this cycle being broken for a while.

RAB
27-08-2017, 03:50 PM

Well if we don't, it may be that The Board have decided we cannot afford to remain in the Premier League at this rate of expenditure. Ordinary players are costing 10m. The moderately better are 25m. The exceptional are out of range. Even players from the Championship now come with a premium if a Premier League club comes in.

It all seems very odd that the Club stated that Pardew was replaced by Allardyce because the changes to the playing style were a mistake and it would be back to tried and tested. Yet Palace have hired an exponent of 'total football' without having the players to use it and so far the only reinforcements provided to FdB are inexperienced youngsters. This is further problematic merging with new team mates who allegedly were responsible in Pardew's departure and rejecting a style of play similar to what is being imposed.

Then again maybe the Board have gone to the wire and the obvious back up for Benteke, GK and other key positions will be filled in the next few days.

Martin H
27-08-2017, 04:07 PM
Well if we don't, it may be that The Board have decided we cannot afford to remain in the Premier League at this rate of expenditure. Ordinary players are costing 10m. The moderately better are 25m. The exceptional are out of range. Even players from the Championship now come with a premium if a Premier League club comes in.

It all seems very odd that the Club stated that Pardew was replaced by Allardyce because the changes to the playing style were a mistake and it would be back to tried and tested. Yet Palace have hired an exponent of 'total football' without having the players to use it and so far the only reinforcements provided to FdB are inexperienced youngsters. This is further problematic merging with new team mates who allegedly were responsible in Pardew's departure and rejecting a style of play similar to what is being imposed.

Then again maybe the Board have gone to the wire and the obvious back up for Benteke, GK and other key positions will be filled in the next few days.

If they had decided that then they would sell now before there was any risk of relegation. Relegation means their asset depreciates dramatically.

CPFC85
27-08-2017, 04:13 PM

The whole thing is a complete ******* mess and it all stems from those at the top.

CPFC85
27-08-2017, 04:15 PM
Once again another season has started and we look like one of, if not the, least prepared squads in the league and are deservedly in the bottom three.

This same shit has been going on for the past few seasons and nothing changes, I don't really see how any manager is going to make a difference if we can't even strengthen our squad that has been needing it for over 2 years now. It's pathetic, I can appreciate it isn't easy but when you see clubs like Huddersfield doing good business over the summer for not large amounts of money, it really does make you question what the hell is going on at the club.

I can't see this cycle being broken for a while.

Indeed. We're reaping what we has been sown.

To have squandered the chance to invest and consolidate this season (after the shambles of 2016/17) is unforgiveable and ******* idiotic.

Wycombe Eagle#2
27-08-2017, 05:12 PM

I agree with what you say further down but don't get this bit sorry. We were losing money hand over foot in the championship. A debt that was being paid for by the owners. Was it something like 5m a season.

By being in the premier league I'm not aware we've made a loss and puts us in a position to be able to service any debt with the guaranteed income which wasn't available in the championship. If we can't service the debt given the guaranteed incomes each season then we are being miss managed at board level on a similar basis to Goldberg and Jordan****** note that at this stage I'm not saying we are and refuse to believe we are in financial difficulties. I mean how the hell can we.

Gawkes
27-08-2017, 05:25 PM
I just can't see how anyone would want to sign for us after this shambolic start, it feels like we've left it too late to do our business again, which for me has been a common theme throughout our time in this league.

Jon_C-Pal
27-08-2017, 05:40 PM
If they had decided that then they would sell now before there was any risk of relegation. Relegation means their asset depreciates dramatically.

Maybe they've tried and nobody is interested.

Shipsisourking
27-08-2017, 05:41 PM
some massive decisions to take in the next few days and decisions they've known about for months or even a couple of years.

if our owners want to stay up then have a chat with Mr D B, if they want us to go down then continue as we are, but use these days wisely chaps as they will be defining in our clubs future and history. The dark days of admin and lloyds bank, Kevin's Wembley penalty and Crystanbul will have a new addition with 'remember the shit times under De Boer and the boards inability to back/ sack him?'

Good luck

Jon_C-Pal
27-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Indeed. We're reaping what we has been sown.

To have squandered the chance to invest and consolidate this season (after the shambles of 2016/17) is unforgiveable and ******* idiotic.

TBF the last two words there could describe everyone in charge of this club right now.

HRP
27-08-2017, 05:46 PM

I agree , with two players sold as well

jimmy the gent
27-08-2017, 05:55 PM
Sack De Boer, bring in Steve Coppell to work with Sammy Lee, and hunker down for a long, but at least united season.

eagleali
27-08-2017, 05:55 PM

Then they should sell up and give it to others who will invest ,quite alot of us i are getting sick and tired of this club making excuse after excuse and not admitting someone screwed up when it goes tits up us fans pay good money to expect to watch the team play well especially at home and walk away after the game feeling more prouder then we did entering the ground but seeing poor displays game after game and hearing this ,that and the other through media circa is annoying to say the least.

cdm61
27-08-2017, 06:11 PM
I would buy 3 players then take them off the bill for the sale as good will - go actively seek buyers

Bexhill Eagle
27-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Parish and Freedman MUST sit down with FdB today and explain that things are not working and the decision time is now. They've had all fecking summer to find the right players and implement a new formation and nothing has been done. They only things we've got in are kids and a quick look at our bench shows there is nothing to support the First XI.

What manager chooses his formation before he knows his team? Sam and Pulis played to our strengths and it worked. That type of football is our strength with the players we have now and if the style is to change it must come gradually.
Pards tried and failed because the players didn't suit the system. De Boer will fail for the same reason.

I know it's not the thing that normally happens but now that Freedman has been appointed as sporting director I suppose it is his job to tell FdB that the tactics must be altered to fit the players. If he refuses to change then good riddance. The interests if the Club are greater than the interests of one or two people.
I can't believe Sammy Lee has not had some input as to our best style of play. Maybe no-one is listening.
Could it be that the apointment of Dougie has more that one purpose.

RAB
27-08-2017, 06:32 PM
I agree with what you say further down but don't get this bit sorry. We were losing money hand over foot in the championship. A debt that was being paid for by the owners. Was it something like 5m a season.

By being in the premier league I'm not aware we've made a loss and puts us in a position to be able to service any debt with the guaranteed income which wasn't available in the championship. If we can't service the debt given the guaranteed incomes each season then we are being miss managed at board level on a similar basis to Goldberg and Jordan****** note that at this stage I'm not saying we are and refuse to believe we are in financial difficulties. I mean how the hell can we.

I understand the point and it's a similar view taken by Martin H. I am grateful to both of you for reading my post and commenting.

As I understand it too, CPFC2010 were covering the losses whilst we were in the Championship until the riches came with promotion. Since then Palace have fought tooth and nail to cling on in the Premier League.

Now I obviously do not have any knowledge of the Club's finances but we are often told they are very tightly managed and even though added investment came in, there will be no hard and fast risks taken with the Club's future and risking another administration.

However, from some reports, Parish was not in agreement with the record breaking Benteke deal, fearing it too excessive but was overruled. That came on top of some expensive deals as well as another expensive record breaker, prior to Benteke, with Cabaye.

Last January, the Club seemed to move Heaven and Earth to accede to Allardyce to spend big in a gamble to stay up and it succeeded.

During all this time, it is beyond argument that the costs of running Palace over the last 4 years have increased considerably and so too have the rewards. However it's a bit like looking at inflation and income in family budgets. Some family budgets can ride for longer with a shortfall between expenditure and income. Now perhaps for a small club like Palace in this league, the squeeze is beginning to hurt.

Whilst Palace fill the ground every week, the pressure to increase income generation might be floundering and causing frustration. That really might be it in a nutshell.

Comparisons might be made with a 'smaller' club like say Bourmemouth but I guess many of us, other than the financial boffins on the BBS, know little about that club's financial backing.

Now I take the point, why would the owners of any organisation hold back on investment and see the value of it depreciate? I have no idea but I suspect for some business reasons it just might happen.

It's just meandering thought really and I am a conspiracy theorist. Everything has some devious plan. Perhaps some in the know financial people might be able to scotch my rubbish thoughts.

Maiden Eagle
27-08-2017, 06:46 PM

Jeez, after watching that garbage yesterday, if we sell Townsend and Cabaye (the only 2 players who gave us any hope against Swansea), I will throw my ST on the bonfire.

Lingfield Eagle
27-08-2017, 07:17 PM
If we don't strengthen the squad by the end of Thursday I can see FdB walking out using the excuse that the board failed to back his plan and he's not been given the resources he was promised. If he's finding this a harder job than he imagined it's a good excuse to bail out blaming someone else whilst not ruining his reputation.

chrisophiex
27-08-2017, 07:20 PM
If we don't strengthen the squad by the end of Thursday I can see FdB walking out using the excuse that the board failed to back his plan and he's not been given the resources he was promised. If he's finding this a harder job than he imagined it's a good excuse to bail out blaming someone else whilst not ruining his reputation.

I wonder how many Palace fans would be sad at that scenario ?

Wycombe Eagle#2
27-08-2017, 07:23 PM
I understand the point and it's a similar view taken by Martin H. I am grateful to both of you for reading my post and commenting.

As I understand it too, CPFC2010 were covering the losses whilst we were in the Championship until the riches came with promotion. Since then Palace have fought tooth and nail to cling on in the Premier League.

Now I obviously do not have any knowledge of the Club's finances but we are often told they are very tightly managed and even though added investment came in, there will be no hard and fast risks taken with the Club's future and risking another administration.

However, from some reports, Parish was not in agreement with the record breaking Benteke deal, fearing it too excessive but was overruled. That came on top of some expensive deals as well as another expensive record breaker, prior to Benteke, with Cabaye.

Last January, the Club seemed to move Heaven and Earth to accede to Allardyce to spend big in a gamble to stay up and it succeeded.

During all this time, it is beyond argument that the costs of running Palace over the last 4 years have increased considerably and so too have the rewards. However it's a bit like looking at inflation and income in family budgets. Some family budgets can ride for longer with a shortfall between expenditure and income. Now perhaps for a small club like Palace in this league, the squeeze is beginning to hurt.

Whilst Palace fill the ground every week, the pressure to increase income generation might be floundering and causing frustration. That really might be it in a nutshell.

Comparisons might be made with a 'smaller' club like say Bourmemouth but I guess many of us, other than the financial boffins on the BBS, know little about that club's financial backing.

Now I take the point, why would the owners of any organisation hold back on investment and see the value of it depreciate? I have no idea but I suspect for some business reasons it just might happen.

It's just meandering thought really and I am a conspiracy theorist. Everything has some devious plan. Perhaps some in the know financial people might be able to scotch my rubbish thoughts.
It's a good and fair point that the increased spending came about when the americans arrived. I'm not aware of SP being unhappy but you could argue those pieces of quality have helped us survive last season and prior. My only concern would be that our signings before the american were just as wasteful. Remember the scater gun approach so I can't say SP approach was a success either. In fact you could argue by signing players of the calabre or Cabaye and it's being touted that we may even receive a decent fee back for him. What hasn't helped is signing the like Mutch, Kebe etc that we struggle to shift and are stuck on the payroll on ridiculous amounts.

You have to ask questions of how we're managed above when the likes of Stoke can attract decent players for sensible fees.

Young Trolley
27-08-2017, 08:57 PM
I wonder how many Palace fans would be sad at that scenario ?

I would as it would prove Parish has sold us all down the river...

Chillo
27-08-2017, 09:50 PM
You have to ask questions of how we're managed above when the likes of Stoke can attract decent players for sensible fees.

But all teams make mistakes and have to shift unwanted players on large salaries; even do-called well-run clubs.

Arsenal and Mustafi? Chelsea and Torres? Man City and Dzeko? Stoke and Bony?

chelmsfordeagle
28-08-2017, 07:07 AM
I don't envy being Steve Parish at the moment. So many key questions to consider and so little time:

1. The majority owners of the club clearly have no appetite for the annual relegation dogfight (and as Pards pointed out, don't really understand football). They want a quick return on their investment, then to cut and run. How do you reconcile this with making the three or four key signings which might get our season back on track?

2. Do you back your new manager in his continuing quest to change the playing culture, when it clearly either doesn't fit with the players we have in the squad, or they are stubbornly refusing to try and adopt it? Can you buy enough round pegs for round holes in 4 days? Seems highly unlikely.

3. At what point do you have to insist that we actually have a very good first XI when they are deployed to their strengths, insist on returning to a 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1 with wide men and service for Benteke, and buy some decent back up in positions where there is little depth?

4. Do you play the long game, let the Americans asset strip and manage an orderly relegation, relying on Dougie Freedman's talent for identifying value in the Football League ?

5. Do you seek to sell on to a completely new foreign owner because you've poured your life and soul in to the last 7 years and could do without the thankless hassle and aggravation?

This is now a very high stakes game of stick or twist, which could have far reaching consequences for Crystal Palace. Only time will tell if decisions made over the next few days were good ones.

Whilst this isn't SP's decision and i imagine nearly any manager would walk if told what formation to play by his chairman this is what needs to change in the short term. De Boer did play a more traditional formation for ourselves in the second half and bar the ridiculous goal we looked OK (not great, OK). Hopefully De Boer the coaching will look at using a 4-2-3-1 formation as a base and then experimenting as the season progresses and, hopefully, confidence grows.

redandblue
28-08-2017, 07:28 AM
Whilst this isn't SP's decision and i imagine nearly any manager would walk if told what formation to play by his chairman this is what needs to change in the short term. De Boer did play a more traditional formation for ourselves in the second half and bar the ridiculous goal we looked OK (not great, OK). Hopefully De Boer the coaching will look at using a 4-2-3-1 formation as a base and then experimenting as the season progresses and, hopefully, confidence grows.

Why would a manager walk if he walks he won't get paid his contract if he gets sacked he will be paid out.

Jon_C-Pal
28-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Why would a manager walk if he walks he won't get paid his contract if he gets sacked he will be paid out.

To save his reputation for future jobs? I suppose leaving and claiming the responsibility lays with the owners is better than being sacked and blamed for the inevitable shower of shit that's upon us.

chelmsfordeagle
28-08-2017, 07:49 AM

'Walk' is an expression. If he left he would still get money. His agent would negotiate his exit. My point was no manager is going to except being told what formation to play by his chairman, especially a manager with the background De Boer has.

elgin eagle
28-08-2017, 08:10 AM
I like the few players we have signed this summer so far, and I like the appointment of Dougie in the sporting director role. His strengths are identifying players with character and fight and getting them to sign. Thats the positives.

De Boer I feel has come in and tried to change too much too quickly, and impose a style of play on a group that can only really play one way. That is a flat back 4 with two covering midfielders. He's been unlucky losing Wilf and Loftus Cheek. He's sat on his hands on Saturday, and looks lost now. So do the players. As a chairman you can't let that continue. There will be other factors that we aren't privy to as well.

Swansea proved last season that changing a non performing manager quickly was ultimately the correct decision. I hope we can do the same. The next appointment is critical if we feck him off during the international break and accept that the sporting director signs the players these days under this system.

CoDownEagle
28-08-2017, 08:28 AM
Changing anything quickly at Palace is not going to happen. It took us how long to sack Pardew and how long to appoint his successor ?

Garfy
28-08-2017, 08:31 AM
I like the few players we have signed this summer so far, and I like the appointment of Dougie in the sporting director role. His strengths are identifying players with character and fight and getting them to sign. Thats the positives.

De Boer I feel has come in and tried to change too much too quickly, and impose a style of play on a group that can only really play one way. That is a flat back 4 with two covering midfielders. He's been unlucky losing Wilf and Loftus Cheek. He's sat on his hands on Saturday, and looks lost now. So do the players. As a chairman you can't let that continue. There will be other factors that we aren't privy to as well.

Swansea proved last season that changing a non performing manager quickly was ultimately the correct decision. I hope we can do the same. The next appointment is critical if we feck him off during the international break and accept that the sporting director signs the players these days under this system.
This assumes that all the Chairman does is fire managers. Perhaps he should act more like a chairman of business and work with his manager to improve performance not just make him the scape goat.

st albans
28-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Changing anything quickly at Palace is not going to happen. It took us how long to sack Pardew and how long to appoint his successor ?

We appointed his successor last Monday....

elgin eagle
28-08-2017, 08:34 AM
This assumes that all the Chairman does is fire managers. Perhaps he should act more like a chairman of business and work with his manager to improve performance not just make him the scape goat.

That assumes a lot of things too in fairness :) I doubt any fan knows the full picture behind the scenes. It sure as feck isn't working out though.

Eagle's Nest
28-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Imagine an alternative reality.

We sign Dyche and he brings in a Burnley centre half and Chris Wood. We'd have such a better start.

chelmsfordeagle
28-08-2017, 08:39 AM

How many managers has he sacked in 7 years?

eaglejez
28-08-2017, 08:45 AM
get Sakho, another striker like long, keep everyone else and get few injuries and we can stay up. lose Townend and Cabaye and we are gone.
And go back to 4 at the back FFS

Langers
28-08-2017, 08:53 AM
get Sakho, another striker like long, keep everyone else and get few injuries and we can stay up. lose Townend and Cabaye and we are gone.
And go back to 4 at the back FFS

Most fans would agree with this so let's see what happens - if none of the above then we know that FDB has been hung out to dry and it is only a question of time until Freedman becomes temporary manager.

minch1
28-08-2017, 09:03 AM
Jeez, after watching that garbage yesterday, if we sell Townsend and Cabaye (the only 2 players who gave us any hope against Swansea), I will throw my ST on the bonfire.

Townsend and Wilf are essential to maximising the effectiveness of Benteke.

The fact is, FdB needs to stop playing players out of position and return to 4 at the back. He also needs to win the players over and maybe a couple of results going our way will do that. He comes across as a nice guy but has he got the character , passion , humour and air of authority to win the players over?

Based on the evidence to date, this is the most critical decision for SP and co this week. At this stage the transfer window depends on luck. Selling key players would be suicide.

WinoEagle
28-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Hmm. Are we really in such a desperate place?

We need a new 'keeper. That's a given. Disappointed we didn't step in for Pickford right at the outset.

It looks as if Mama Sakho might yet happen. So a back three of Fosu-Mensah, Sakho and Tomkins isn't a disaster, is it?

Then a mid of Luka (holding), Cabaye, Loftus-Cheek and Lee/McArthur, with Townsend, Benteke and Zaha up front.

Is that such a bad side?

JamTheEagle
28-08-2017, 09:46 AM

We need a new 'keeper. That's a given. Disappointed we didn't step in for Pickford right at the outset.

It looks as if Mama Sakho might yet happen. So a back three of Fosu-Mensah, Sakho and Tomkins isn't a disaster, is it?

Then a mid of Luka (holding), Cabaye, Loftus-Cheek and Lee/McArthur, with Townsend, Benteke and Zaha up front.

Is that such a bad side?
On paper it is OK, judging by the first three results and FdB's system it will be relegation material.

Langers
28-08-2017, 09:50 AM

Is that such a bad side?

You are correct - we have thin squad but a decent team. This all comes down to money and who runs the club. It looks like FDB was the choice of SP but the Yanks won't back more transfers. Without backing FDB is the wrong manager - SP knows this and if I'm correct expect Sammy Lee in charge sooner rather than later

CaptainCharisma
28-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Out of curiosity, what actually is the American investment??? It was supposedly 100m to develop the ground and raise the capacity, yet nothing has happened. Some seats have been painted, cladding out up, poorly thought out disabled seating areas created and a fan zone that lets be honest, is nothing special. But no work on stands, not even a hint of it. So what investment have they made other than to literally oversee our slump from Stoke say until now

RisZero
28-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Out of curiosity, what actually is the American investment???

No one knows

S.P.R.
28-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Out of curiosity, what actually is the American investment??? It was supposedly 100m to develop the ground and raise the capacity, yet nothing has happened. Some seats have been painted, cladding out up, poorly thought out disabled seating areas created and a fan zone that lets be honest, is nothing special. But no work on stands, not even a hint of it. So what investment have they made other than to literally oversee our slump from Stoke say until now

According the blurb when the Americans invested, there was a 50m injection of capital that was 'ring fenced' for the redevelopment of the Main stand.

So, presumably that is still there.

The last sound bite from SP was that we are going for planning, and that we will deal with the problem of purchasing the required 'slither' of car park we need from Sainsbury's, as and when.

Who knows how much of the 43m we spent in January was financed by them or if it was just out of the clubs budget from TV revenue, etc.

jimos_uk
28-08-2017, 11:30 AM
No one knows

Villains.