PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Sell Van Aanholt

Dedders
29-08-2017, 09:09 PM
If we need to raise cash, surely we should sell PVA given the cover we have for his position?
Thoughts

Jim Cannon
29-08-2017, 09:12 PM
we will take a hit on what we paid, plus being Dutch seems to ensure he is in FDB's plans

Lombardo's hair
29-08-2017, 09:13 PM
One problem ......Who wants him enough to pay for him?

Nostrils
29-08-2017, 09:15 PM
With Schlupp, Reidewald and possibly Souare available soon, he's the one that I'd let go, even at a loss. Sorry PvA.

dilem
29-08-2017, 09:16 PM
hes awful never liked him

Jim Cannon
29-08-2017, 09:16 PM
With Schlupp, Reidewald and possibly Souare available soon, he's the one that I'd let go, even at a loss. Sorry PvA.

I think the one FDB would dump is Schlupp though

in-exile
29-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Why is he starting...Schlupp is much better as a wingback! SellSellSell!

Nostrils
29-08-2017, 09:20 PM
I think the one FDB would dump is Schlupp though
I agree, he just doesn't fit the mould. He's not exactly technical, but think he's got a lot to offer and feels very Palace to me. I bet he would've played with a lot more passion than PvA did last week.

glaziers fan
29-08-2017, 09:21 PM
I must be the only fan of his on the BBS. I think he's a cracking player. He had a stinker last week, but he is much better on the ball than Schlupp, and his runs forward are very clever. Plus he chips in with goals. Perfect as a wing back. Positionally suspect, and poor in the air, but with good players around him and covering him he's decent enough to be worth a place in the XI. Appreciate I'm in the minority though. Schlupp, who played brilliantly last season, is de rigeur on here.

Thefunkymonk
29-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Ah let's sell one of two left backs and hope the other doesn't get injured...

Close thread

theCoach
29-08-2017, 09:22 PM
I made the case for pva over sluppy quite vehemently with mates before Saturday s game. He let me himself and the team down with that awful display.makes you wander if his head has been turned?

glaziers fan
29-08-2017, 09:27 PM
I made the case for pva over sluppy quite vehemently with mates before Saturday s game. He let me himself and the team down with that awful display.makes you wander if his head has been turned?

It's 45 mins of football in a team devoid of class (no Zaha or RLC) with Puncheon as his nearest option. His passing was poor but I'd still have him over Schlupp, especially in winnable home games.

glaziers fan
29-08-2017, 09:29 PM

Close thread

Pape on the mend.

Gregz41
29-08-2017, 09:31 PM
I don't like him. He's one of those players rival fans seem to rate, but when you watch him closely each week you see the flaws in his game. It's not just one thing, his awareness off the ball is terrible, while being OK on it. For a wing back, you need to be prepared to make runs beyond the ball and I haven't seen that. Defensively, he is often yards away from where he should be. I can recall numerous poor clearances also.

We don't need 3 left backs, it makes sense to sell one if it means we can strengthen other areas of the squad. Goalkeeper remains a priority as well as competition for the front three. Maybe we'll look to sign someone who can play centrally or wide. I wonder how much Origi or Perez would cost.

Thefunkymonk
29-08-2017, 09:34 PM
Pape on the mend.

Pape won't be named in 25.. he is nowhere near ready

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
29-08-2017, 09:35 PM

Close thread

To be fair we have 3 left backs who could play wing back too and if we revert to a back 4, Riedewald would give us four comfortable in that position.

Kidofwonder
29-08-2017, 09:36 PM

We dont have anywhere near 25 players so we'll have no choice, Mutch will have to be named too

glaziers fan
29-08-2017, 09:37 PM

You say that, but at present there are only about 21 players of the requisite age at the club! I think he has a good chance of being named. If he is playing again already, he should be fairly fit in 6 weeks time.

AJ
29-08-2017, 09:39 PM
There is a good chance, we have 26 players over 21 and that includes Wickham, Mutch, Lee, Lapado, Soaure, Williams and Anderson.

RisZero
29-08-2017, 09:47 PM
I like PVA going forward but I cant deny that I get the feeling Schlupp should be starting

Malarkey
29-08-2017, 09:48 PM

Pape > PVA

Pape > Schlupp

He'll be named

Martin H
29-08-2017, 11:28 PM

Close thread

Souare? Its a risk but I would take that and sell PVA first but if not then Schlupp and keep Pape as long as the docs are positive/optimisitic

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
30-08-2017, 12:32 AM
Have to admit that selling one of PVA or Schlupp wouldn't be the worst idea if we could close to what they cost and use that elsewhere. (Doubt we will be offered close to those fees though).

As I posted above, in a back 4 we have Riedewald and Souare who could play left back, as well as the other those two.

And if we continue with 3 at the back then we don't really have anyone comfortable in that role on the right, while we have 2 or 3 comfortable on the left (depending on where Souare is on his return).

danpalace07
30-08-2017, 02:21 AM
I could get behind this in Jan if Souare is fit. Liked the signing but I don't think I rate him.

thefox
30-08-2017, 02:37 AM
Pape > PVA

Pape > Schlupp

He'll be named

:D

People seem to have forgotten how bad Pape defending was.

PVA is the best left back we have had in years. One of the reasons we stayed up. He crossed for one our only chances on Saturday as well. Schlupps defending isn't great either.

Don't judge anyones performances under this system.

orp pisshead1
30-08-2017, 06:22 AM
If we need to raise cash, surely we should sell PVA given the cover we have for his position?
Thoughts

Agree plus defensively he's toilet.

army11
30-08-2017, 06:44 AM
Agree...sell pva as his tosh....only looked half decent in a really poor Sunderland team...never seems like he can be arsed..

cpfcfan1
30-08-2017, 06:45 AM
Looked great under Sam.... funny how players now look poor under a poor managers reign

army11
30-08-2017, 06:55 AM
Looked great under Sam.... funny how players now look poor under a poor managers reign
Looked great????? Really.....are you talking about his tattoos !!!

PauLo
30-08-2017, 07:03 AM
STOP SUGGESTING PLAYERS TO SELL. WE BARELY HAVE ANY.

eagle-leg
30-08-2017, 07:05 AM
Seems a waste of time having 3 left backs in the sqaud if we are going to play ward there.

Stockport_Eagle
30-08-2017, 07:10 AM
* except Mutch ;)

Reg_Maudling
30-08-2017, 07:13 AM
Souare was never a great defender pva is a similar level but with the occasional goal and assist

Dedders
30-08-2017, 07:40 AM

It's widely reported we need to sell to bring in players we need
We have cover at left back
We don't upfront

Dedders
30-08-2017, 07:40 AM
Seems a waste of time having 3 left backs in the sqaud if we are going to play ward there.

4 if you include Jairo

Mr Palace
30-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Classic Palace - we go from having no left backs to having three!

If Souare were fit shortly (and he won't as he will need time) then I could see the value in selling PvA to raise funds for other more needed positions. PvA has had a very poor start but he played ok under Sam so I wouldn't be writing him off yet. He does need to up his game and workrate though.

Sceagle
30-08-2017, 07:47 AM

This

Malarkey
30-08-2017, 08:01 AM
:D

People seem to have forgotten how bad Pape defending was.

PVA is the best left back we have had in years. One of the reasons we stayed up. He crossed for one our only chances on Saturday as well. Schlupps defending isn't great either.

Don't judge anyones performances under this system.

Pape is the best left back we've ever had.

Wandle_Eagle
30-08-2017, 08:03 AM
I think Souare's injury and good guy persona has clouded people's judgement of how utterly crap he was at defending. He NEVER stopped a cross from coming in because he would always stand about 10 yards off the crosser, positioning was poor but made up for some of that with pace to get back, would allow a winger to dribble into the box because he'd back off instead of meeting them before they got into the box. A few spectacular slide tackles shouldn't be confused with good defending. Good cross on him mind but a good defender he is not.

palacea
30-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Is Schlupp injured?

Harry Bassett
30-08-2017, 08:14 AM

"ever" you have to be kidding!

orp pisshead1
30-08-2017, 08:19 AM

Showing your age there pal:)

Malarkey
30-08-2017, 08:20 AM
Showing your age there pal:)

Pape GOAT

orp pisshead1
30-08-2017, 08:21 AM
I think Souare's injury and good guy persona has clouded people's judgement of how utterly crap he was at defending. He NEVER stopped a cross from coming in because he would always stand about 10 yards off the crosser, positioning was poor but made up for some of that with pace to get back, would allow a winger to dribble into the box because he'd back off instead of meeting them before they got into the box. A few spectacular slide tackles shouldn't be confused with good defending. Good cross on him mind but a good defender he is not.

Agree but still better than Pva who's shit tbh.

orp pisshead1
30-08-2017, 08:24 AM
Pape GOAT

Buries his head in the ground?:lux:

orp pisshead1
30-08-2017, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=orp pisshead1;13812340]Buries his head in the ground?:supergrin:

Having a mare :wallbash:

adman50
30-08-2017, 08:26 AM
People letting sentiment cloud judgement.

Pape can't defend and is prone to silly rash challenges.

I still maintain PVA is the best out of the three but is clearly either off form or unfit.

bourne man
30-08-2017, 08:27 AM

I'm sure you mean, the best you've ever seen play for Palace, which is a bit sad really :sob:

Malarkey
30-08-2017, 08:27 AM

I still maintain PVA is the best out of the three but is clearly either off form or unfit.

But Pape has better hair

Malarkey
30-08-2017, 08:28 AM
I'm sure you mean, the best you've ever seen play for Palace, which is a bit sad really :sob:

Since 1905

orp pisshead1
30-08-2017, 08:33 AM

Neither he's ******* clueless defensively, several times Saturday he either didn't know where the ball was or couldn't even judge the bounce.

rambo1
30-08-2017, 08:40 AM
It's widely reported we need to sell to bring in players we need
We have cover at left back
We don't upfront

We can buy 2 Players,over 21,before we Need to sell.
Keshi Anderson & Sullay KaiKai turned 22,this Year,6th of April & 26th of August & won't Need to be Named.
So if we Sign 3 Players,over 21,Goal-Keeper,Centre-Back & a Striker.
1 will Need to be Sold or Loaned.

rambo1
30-08-2017, 08:42 AM

No.
That's Kenny Sansom.

Nigelbrag
30-08-2017, 09:41 AM
The mistake Big Sam made was signing Both PVA and Schlupp as Both are good attacking players but suspect defensively, but then forgetting it was a Defensive LB we were looking for as the main signing.
It should have been One or the Other, and a true LB brought in who knows how to defend and that should have been Kieran Gibbs.

Martin H
30-08-2017, 09:48 AM
The mistake Big Sam made was signing Both PVA and Schlupp as Both are good attacking players but suspect defensively, but then forgetting it was a Defensive LB we were looking for as the main signing.
It should have been One or the Other, and a true LB brought in who knows how to defend and that should have been Kieran Gibbs.

I had thought that he was recruiting Schlupp as a wide LM or LW but someone who could cover if needed at LWB and so was surprised he has mostly been deployed at LB with very few chances further forward. He looks better at the back than I had seen in his Leicester games but nevertheless it is strange. A very expensive squad player.

With Souare returning (played 45 mins yesterday) and assuming he looked good and docs are confident then I would be letting PVA go now and rely on Pape and Jeff. Can't see us getting the cash back though.

Bryan
30-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Think Schlupp adds much needed energy to the first team when played.

Generally not impressed by PVA but it's strange that for both Schlupp and PVA none of us fans seem to know what position they were bought to play in.

rambo1
30-08-2017, 10:23 AM
Think,Damien Delaney,will be Released.

sherstonpalace
30-08-2017, 10:24 AM

Kenny Sansom was not only the best left-back we've ever had. He was also quite possibly the best left-back England have had for many, many decades....

mroakley9
30-08-2017, 10:28 AM
Pape GOAT

http://i.imgur.com/yNMmj7K.jpg

DARZET EAGLE
30-08-2017, 10:32 AM

You obviously never saw Kenny Sansom play.

mroakley9
30-08-2017, 10:33 AM
You obviously never saw Kenny Sansom play.

He doesn't need to though because he's seen Pape play.

Eric the Ginga
30-08-2017, 10:34 AM

Totally agree. He's better than Kenny Sansom, Dean Gordon, Mark Dennis, Paul Bodin, John Loughlan, Jack Bannister, Eddie Presland et al

orp pisshead1
30-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Totally agree. He's better than Kenny Sansom, Dean Gordon, Mark Dennis, Paul Bodin, John Loughlan, Jack Bannister, Eddie Presland et al

You missed Shaw out , the Jack bannister ?

rambo1
30-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Kenny Sansom was not only the best left-back we've ever had. He was also quite possibly the best left-back England have had for many, many decades....

Absolutely.
Though only on Loan Here,Ashley Cole,was Pretty Good.

Nigelbrag
30-08-2017, 10:59 AM
I had thought that he was recruiting Schlupp as a wide LM or LW but someone who could cover if needed at LWB and so was surprised he has mostly been deployed at LB with very few chances further forward. He looks better at the back than I had seen in his Leicester games but nevertheless it is strange. A very expensive squad player.

With Souare returning (played 45 mins yesterday) and assuming he looked good and docs are confident then I would be letting PVA go now and rely on Pape and Jeff. Can't see us getting the cash back though.

What i have always said is we have needed a LB that can defend and was surprised that SA did not rectify that as a priority. He would have been aware of PVA's capabilities and defensively was Not one of them, but that is history now.
I felt on Saturday with Zaha missing we should have gone with Schlupp at LB and PVA further forward on the Left side which would have given us a far better balance, and then play Townsend in his more favoured position on the Right side, which again would have given us a far better balance and then who knows what the result could have turned out to be, perhaps it would have been very different.

AJ
30-08-2017, 11:08 AM
It is all irrelevant as who would buy PvA, let alone pay anywhere near what we did.

Dedders
30-08-2017, 11:14 AM
We can buy 2 Players,over 21,before we Need to sell.
Keshi Anderson & Sullay KaiKai turned 22,this Year,6th of April & 26th of August & won't Need to be Named.
So if we Sign 3 Players,over 21,Goal-Keeper,Centre-Back & a Striker.
1 will Need to be Sold or Loaned.

I think you are missing the point

I understand that there is plenty of space in our squad which, lets face it, is looking threadbare in some positions

More to the point, though, if we need money to fill the positions we need filled with good players then some players need to go. Indeed, it is widely reported that some will need to go for us to bring good players in and to keep us in line with FPP

This thread is about- why not PVA as we have that position covered and we would get for him...

Penstone Eagle
30-08-2017, 11:25 AM

Lol

sydnsteve
30-08-2017, 11:40 AM
Lousy defender. I think we only got him because there was no ther LB available for BFS. Can be good going forward, but that's about it. Whoi would buy him thopugh, and Schlupp is more winger than FB,TBH.

Malarkey
30-08-2017, 01:43 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yNMmj7K.jpg

Jesus

Malarkey
30-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Glad people agree