PDA

View Full Version : Official: Jonny Williams joins Sunderland on season long loan

mikeywm3
31-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Keith Downie‏Verified account @SkySports_Keith 50s50 seconds ago
Crystal Palace midfielder Jonny Williams is in his way to Sunderland for a medical ahead of a season long loan move.

cpfcfan1
31-08-2017, 02:50 PM
More loans than wonga that kid

Seaside Eagle
31-08-2017, 02:51 PM
Excellent move for Joniesta. Hopefully he'll get regular football.

Jman
Good move for him!

DARZET EAGLE
Crystal Palace midfielder Jonny Williams is in his way to Sunderland for a medical ahead of a season long loan move.

Great news for Jonny, hope he can make an impact there if true.

thomasbroad
Just hope he can stay injury free for a season...

RisZero
Good move, maybe this one will stick

Kai
31-08-2017, 02:52 PM
An injury free season for a promotion chasing team might be a great move for him

james powell
I said about a week ago, I knew he'd be going out on Lon this window, looks like my gut feeling was right :( :(

sylvan eagle
Just announced on ssn

TheCharmer1
31-08-2017, 02:54 PM
Just hope he can stay injury free for a season...

lets hope he can pass the medical.

The12thman
31-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Great move for him. If injury free he'll be a good player for them. Be great to see him have an injury free season and see what he can do.

AddoWolz
31-08-2017, 02:57 PM
More loans than wonga that kid :D

ExiledStirling
We have had all these youngsters blooded by FDB in pre season yet he gave JW next to no time to prove himself.. He is a highly regarded Wales international yet just dumped to the side yet again .. Really pisses me off, particularly as we have been shit so far :veryangry

st albans
out of the frying pan....

OLD BASING EAGLE
31-08-2017, 02:58 PM
I've always liked joniesta there is certainly a good player in there. Injury has stopped him blossoming. Wish him all the best wherever he goes.

the drexciyan
Good luck to him.

eagle69

In his own way , he'll take a fall & be injured before he even gets there

carter
31-08-2017, 03:01 PM
An injury free season for a promotion chasing team might be a great move for him

Looking at Sunderlands team they'll do well to make play-offs.

Decent move for him though shame for him and us that it's not permanent

mb23
31-08-2017, 03:03 PM
Wonder how much in wages we're saving by letting Williams and Mutch go out on loan...

New LP
31-08-2017, 03:04 PM
We have had all these youngsters blooded by FDB in pre season yet he gave JW next to no time to prove himself.. He is a highly regarded Wales international yet just dumped to the side yet again .. Really pisses me off, particularly as we have been shit so far :veryangry

Putting sentiment aside he isn't the answer.

bald-eagle
31-08-2017, 03:05 PM

IMO not good enough for a regular prem place

in-exile
31-08-2017, 03:07 PM
I would have loaned him to Fulham.

orp pisshead1
31-08-2017, 03:08 PM

Spot on :p

TheMexicanHorse
31-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Found his natural level
Lower table EPL minor

ExiledStirling
31-08-2017, 03:14 PM
Based on what exactly? He has never been given a chance to prove himself.

Stavros 69
31-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Good luck JW

Yogya
31-08-2017, 03:18 PM

The fact that FdB was willing to give anyone a chance and still gave JW such limited time does suggest he is not up to it. Sad fact, I want him to succeed but unfortunately cannot see him developing without a period of playing week in week out. We only have to look at Hennessy to know that playing for Wales does not mean much. My fear is that his pleasant personality opens as many doors as his current ability

16eagles
31-08-2017, 03:25 PM
Really good move this for me. Grayson brilliant manager, reckon they could come up. Knows Grabban and Vaughn well. Good luck!

PauLo
31-08-2017, 03:26 PM
We've seen the last of him. I hate to say it, but we won't see him in red and blue again.

Mictor Voses
31-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Why did we give him a new contract?

4 cryingOutloud
31-08-2017, 03:46 PM
I think Jonny's going for the all time record for being loaned while still registered to Crystal Palace. The club should let him go permanently.

Adlerhorst
31-08-2017, 03:48 PM
Anyone else surprised it isn't a loan to ipswich?

I had that as my transfer deadline day banker

Big Blue Eagle
31-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Why did we give him a new contract?

Simple...we knew no one would gamble on a sale this window given his recent injury and after Xmas he could have negotiated a freebie/tribunal. Had he had a very good loan spell, we could have therefore been missing out on a decent fee.

Now, he has a full season at a good level (hopefully) plus international appearances, and come next summer will either command a reasonable transfer fee with a year left on his contract or a chance in the squad if there is a slot.

Protecting our investment, pure and simple.

orp pisshead1
31-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Found his natural level
Lower table EPL minor

:jerkit:

orp pisshead1
31-08-2017, 03:54 PM

You mean not fit enough mate the lad has tons of ability:p

MFBias
31-08-2017, 03:55 PM
I said about a week ago, I knew he'd be going out on Lon this window, looks like my gut feeling was right :( :(

A gut feeling based on something he has done on every window?

orp pisshead1
31-08-2017, 03:58 PM
The fact that FdB was willing to give anyone a chance and still gave JW such limited time does suggest he is not up to it. Sad fact, I want him to succeed but unfortunately cannot see him developing without a period of playing week in week out. We only have to look at Hennessy to know that playing for Wales does not mean much. My fear is that his pleasant personality opens as many doors as his current ability

Really if you look at what FdB has done to the team currently I'd suspect means he's not done his research on JW. If it's a fitness issue then fair enough and in that case Parish is an idiot for giving him a contract but his talent can't be questioned imo.

MFBias
31-08-2017, 03:59 PM

Williams is over 21, so it is better to keep the decent u21's who dont take up a squad place in the 25. It would be silly to send Lokilo on loan as he may get the odd minute here and there because he doesnt take an extra birth.

mushroom
31-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Cracking player.

Big Blue Eagle
31-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Really if you look at what FdB has done to the team currently I'd suspect means he's not done his research on JW. If it's a fitness issue then fair enough and in that case Parish is an idiot for giving him a contract but his talent can't be questioned imo.
I suspect it's a combination of lack of match fitness (hence the U23 matches) and uncertainty about his best position. In a 3-4-3 he would have to displace/cover one of Cabaye, Puncheon or RLC which is unlikely to happen without a run of games, or maybe take a wide role. Not sure what formation Grayson plays but hopefully, as well as fitness, he'll find a settled position.

Ardent
31-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Cracking player.

That's the trouble, he cracks too easily!

Oli28
31-08-2017, 04:16 PM
There's nothing whatsoever to suggest that he has the talent to play in the Premier league; he's yet to make more than a handful of cameos at this level. He had a couple of good games at the Euros, but aside from those and a handful of impressive performances for us 5-6 years ago he's not achieved anything of note. Even if he could stay fit, there's no evidence to suggest that he'd be good enough to play for Palace.

All this is very unfortunate of course but he won't play for us, and probably won't ever play in the premier league.

Adlerhorst
31-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Cracking player.

You mean something will crack if he plays

Edit: Damn, that one's been done

jaspercpfc
31-08-2017, 04:20 PM
Found his natural level
Lower table EPL minor

you'll get negged for speaking the truth. Nice guy, but JW desperately needs this move for the good of his career. Wish him well.

Lombardo's hair
31-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Based on what exactly? He has never been given a chance to prove himself.

What I saw of him he was not as good as puncheon. And I think Puncheon should be dropped
Don't say they are different types of player. Both hold on to ball too long and give the ball away a lot.

Wolfnipplechips
31-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Should free up some wages........

But more importantly should free up the physio.

TheCharmer1
31-08-2017, 04:29 PM
ah the urban myth, little Johnny wasn't given a chance to prove himself at palace. Never gets old.

charltonhater
31-08-2017, 04:34 PM
Good practice for him. I strongly expect we'll be in Sunderland's position this time in 2018.

TheMexicanHorse
31-08-2017, 04:37 PM
:jerkit:

Holloway, Millen, Pulis, Millen, Warnock, Millen, Pardew, Millen, Allardyce, De Boer.

Work that out from behind your kode box

TheMexicanHorse
31-08-2017, 04:39 PM
you'll get negged for speaking the truth. Nice guy, but JW desperately needs this move for the good of his career. Wish him well.

Give it by November and he's injured again and back to flogging rio Ferdinand snap backs on social media .

It's actually a good move, Sunderland are a big club and amazed an EPL minor club has taken him on.

This move is make or break.

RobertCPFC
31-08-2017, 07:50 PM
According to Sky he's at the Sunderland training ground.

Keith Downie ✔ @SkySports_Keith
The trio of Jonny Williams, Marc Wilson & Callum McManaman have all arrived at the Sunderland training ground in the last 10 minutes.

New LP
31-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Give it by November and he's injured again and back to flogging rio Ferdinand snap backs on social media .

It's actually a good move, Sunderland are a big club and amazed an EPL minor club has taken him on.

An EPL minor club? As opposed to us?

Zulu84
31-08-2017, 07:57 PM

You mean break literally right?

JAS78
31-08-2017, 07:59 PM
An EPL minor club? As opposed to us?

Ethiopian Premier League?

sydnsteve
31-08-2017, 08:01 PM

Now now C block. Very harsh. I think he has bundles of talent, but can he keep fit? I agree it is a good move all round. And it is make or break (probably literally in poor old Jonny's case)

orp pisshead1
31-08-2017, 08:03 PM
There's nothing whatsoever to suggest that he has the talent to play in the Premier league; he's yet to make more than a handful of cameos at this level. He had a couple of good games at the Euros, but aside from those and a handful of impressive performances for us 5-6 years ago he's not achieved anything of note. Even if he could stay fit, there's no evidence to suggest that he'd be good enough to play for Palace.

All this is very unfortunate of course but he won't play for us, and probably won't ever play in the premier league.

Of course he's good enough and proved it on the international stage which is imo comparable to the PL. All about opinions I get and respect that ( apart from the horse who is trolling:D). I think he'd be an asset to FdB if given the chance but that'll have to be next season now if both have a fair bit of luck:p

Zohar's Penalty
31-08-2017, 08:03 PM
I love Jonny just like everyone does. But if we're totally brutally relentlessly honest- it's not going to happen for him. It's heartbreaking cos he's a seemingly great bloke and genuinely very very talented. I would love to see him take a permanent transfer and prove me wrong. Either way, an umpteenth loan is no good for him.

Oli28
31-08-2017, 08:05 PM
Of course he's good enough and proved it on the international stage which is imo comparable to the PL. All about opinions I get and respect that ( apart from the horse who is trolling:D). I think he'd be an asset to FdB if given the chance but that'll have to be next season now if both have a fair bit of luck:p
Hennessey plays for Wales.

orp pisshead1
31-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Holloway, Millen, Pulis, Millen, Warnock, Millen, Pardew, Millen, Allardyce, De Boer.

Work that out from behind your kode box

What box? I'm talking about having seen him play live and following his international career.

orp pisshead1
31-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Hennessey plays for Wales.

:D ffs you can't compare :D

Sp1Eagle
31-08-2017, 10:05 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIlxqP-W4AA-2tY.jpg:large

Joooe
31-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Good luck Jonny. :)

Will never give up hoping he can make it here though. Never.

Halfwayline
31-08-2017, 10:22 PM
How many Palace managers and coaches have looked at him since promotion. If you can't impress one of them you are not doing enough. Even Ipswich did not, as far as we know, come in for him.

Sp1Eagle
31-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Sunderland have signed Welsh international midfielder Jonny Williams from Premier League side Crystal Palace on a season-long loan.

https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2017/august/deadline-day/williams-arrives-on-loan

cpfcfan1
31-08-2017, 10:33 PM
Must have more shirts than hnm

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
31-08-2017, 10:37 PM
Good luck to him

SeaEagle
31-08-2017, 10:37 PM
23:31
DONE DEAL

And another one for Sunderland as Jonny Williams, the man they call Joniesta, joins on loan from Crystal Palace.

:supergrin: Hope he stays fit and does well, good luck Jonny

beef
31-08-2017, 10:46 PM
Hope he does well up there and stays fit. I think they'll really warm to him (having seeing a bunch of mercenary shits over the years).

TouchyAndalou
31-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Sunderland supporters:

"Shit hair, no thanks"

"Sounds like a country and western singer."

"Was a decent player when he was a kid. He's 54 now."

"attacking midfield. He's only about 5"7 so reminds me of Steed Malbranque. Doesn't really score but quite "jinky" on the ball. Always good decent for Wales."

"Is that the dwarf who makes up the numbers in wales squad?"

"Happy with him. Something different to what we got. CAN ACTUALLY GO PAST PLAYERS. Plays 'in the hole' aswel. Bit like Mcormack but doesn't get as many goals."

beef
31-08-2017, 10:56 PM
lol they sound more jaded than us!

eagleborn
31-08-2017, 10:59 PM
We will never see Williams as a regular for us unless we are relegated this season. If we are not relegated this season he will not be good enough to play for us and will be sold. Anyone who thinks otherwise is clinging onto false hope. He will never have a prem career.

Martin H
31-08-2017, 11:22 PM
Good luck Joniesta. Time to grasp the opportunity.

Oli28
31-08-2017, 11:30 PM
:D ffs you can't compare :D
At least Hennessey is a regular for Wales!

As far as I can see, JW started one game at Euro 2016 and was subbed off in that one. All the other appearances were a few mins here and there towards the end of each match. Williams is regularly cited as having this great international career, but if that's the case why don't they give him more minutes?

Braders
31-08-2017, 11:37 PM
Best of luck to him.

Yogya
26-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Is he injured, or just not good enough to get into Sunderland squad?

changepersona
26-09-2017, 11:26 PM
Is he injured, or just not good enough to get into Sunderland squad?

From what I’ve heard they’ve all been raving about him and calling him the best player on the pitch. Think I read he is ill at the moment.

PeterH
26-09-2017, 11:29 PM
Titter - "Is that the dwarf who makes up the numbers in wales squad?"

Far East Eagle
27-09-2017, 02:40 AM
He didn't feature at all in their last game. Hope he isn't injured

jaspercpfc
27-09-2017, 04:14 AM
6 years ago today he was sublime in "that" game down in the Amex. Unfortunately I don't think he'll ever reach those dizzy heights which promised so much.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/09/27/article-2042533-0E1DD12E00000578-954_468x332.jpg

cpfcfan1
27-09-2017, 06:02 AM
Has played his obligatory four games and is probably injurdd, will be back and sent on loan to Ipswich in january

Maidstoned Eagle
27-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Has played his obligatory four games and is probably injurdd, will be back and sent on loan to Ipswich in january

He was ill....apparently.

cpfcfan1
27-09-2017, 01:36 PM
He was ill....apparently.
Fatigue?

Braders
27-09-2017, 01:57 PM
From what I’ve heard they’ve all been raving about him and calling him the best player on the pitch. Think I read he is ill at the moment.

That won't stop the weird anti-Williams brigade slating the lad

switchboard
27-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Sunderland fans have really warmed to him already on their forum, great to see. Appreciated everywhere but Palace!

Lee passes away points here whilst Williams will win points somewhere else...mental!

Ridcully
27-09-2017, 02:55 PM
He had a migraine apparently

Owngoal
27-09-2017, 02:55 PM

I don't think anyone is anti-jW, just hugely disappointed that he has had such a poor career compared to that envisaged for him when we first saw him. If he ever stays fit enough everyone would want to see him get into the first team. But unless there is a real change in his luck he won't find a club who will take him on permanently. Bit like Jack W at Arsenal, who I hope we don't take a risk on for the same reason.

ExiledStirling
27-09-2017, 02:58 PM
He should be in the Palace squad. How the **** are we passing up on one of the greatest players to emerge from our own academy?

New LP
27-09-2017, 04:31 PM
He should be in the Palace squad. How the **** are we passing up on one of the greatest players to emerge from our own academy?

He isn't one of the greatest players to come through the youth ranks at Palace. You are just being sentimental.

He was a popular young player of reasonable promise who put in some bright performances for the first team in the championship 6 years ago. He's too small, lacks a finish and his development has been hampered by injuries since that time. If he had showed that he can offer anything at this level countless managers would have selected him, fitness permitting obviously.

ExiledStirling
27-09-2017, 04:47 PM
He isn't one of the greatest players to come through the youth ranks at Palace. You are just being sentimental.

He was a popular young player of reasonable promise who put in some bright performances for the first team in the championship 6 years ago. He's too small, lacks a finish and his development has been hampered by injuries since that time. If he had showed that he can offer anything at this level countless managers would have selected him, fitness permitting obviously.
I aint sentimental, just rate him very highly, as is obvious :)

orp pisshead1
27-09-2017, 05:00 PM

Spot on !, instead of people having digs at a player who had he stayed fit would've imo been as big for us as Wilf and no not coz he's academy product but because he's a class player. We should all be gutted that he likely won't make it due to stop start career :(. What could've been eh.

orp pisshead1
27-09-2017, 05:05 PM
I aint sentimental, just rate him very highly, as is obvious :)

Exactly ES, bollocks to sentiment as that does **** all to the club as we currently see behind the scenes. JW is a class class player.

orp pisshead1
27-09-2017, 05:06 PM

Again 100% spot on arguably one of the greatest:p.

orp pisshead1
27-09-2017, 05:08 PM

I agree with a lot of your posts but your having a giraffe if you think he had reasonable promise as he had exceptional promise imo.

Maidstoned Eagle
27-09-2017, 06:24 PM
The time I saw him play live Barry Bannan outclassed him.

Mr Palace
27-09-2017, 06:28 PM
I'd certainly love to have him as an option off the bench at the moment. Not sure why we let him go on loan given we are short on quality in the final third.

orp pisshead1
27-09-2017, 06:29 PM

And what about when Williams outclassed Moderic?.

orp pisshead1
27-09-2017, 06:30 PM

Last time I saw the lad play he hit pass of the match to Murray vs hamsters

Maidstoned Eagle
27-09-2017, 06:48 PM

What about it?

Maidstoned Eagle
27-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Last time I saw the lad play he hit pass of the match to Murray vs hamsters

Was Moderic playing?

orp pisshead1
27-09-2017, 09:36 PM
What about it?

Exactly same point as you saying Bannan outclassing Williams.

orp pisshead1
27-09-2017, 09:37 PM
Was Moderic playing?

:) even the WC winners can't afford him.

macs-tash
27-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Technically he always seems very gifted but just doesn't look strong enough on the ball and loses possession far too often when under pressure. I think upper Championship is around his level. A good defensive midfielder would break up his plays all day long.

in-exile
27-09-2017, 09:46 PM
The time I saw him play live Barry Bannan outclassed him.What crap Barry bananaboy is!

in-exile
27-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Technically he always seems very gifted but just doesn't look strong enough on the ball and loses possession far too often when under pressure. I think upper Championship is around his level. A good defensive midfielder would break up his plays all day long. Doesn't lose possession much .. he draws fouls normally, there's still a good player in him...much better than Barry.

mrgins
27-09-2017, 10:06 PM
He's a playmaker and has has good special awareness. Would've done well in fdb' plan but seems like a great player to coach in any system. His problem is he's small and gets knocked over too easily.

Oli28
27-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Literally happened about four years ago now, how does this still get mentioned

Bannan over Williams any day

jmemour
27-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Don't think JW is PL standard but he's sure as shit better than Chung Yong fckn Lee

orp pisshead1
28-09-2017, 12:49 AM
Technically he always seems very gifted but just doesn't look strong enough on the ball and loses possession far too often when under pressure. I think upper Championship is around his level. A good defensive midfielder would break up his plays all day long.

By fouling him :rolleyes:

orp pisshead1
28-09-2017, 12:51 AM
Literally happened about four years ago now, how does this still get mentioned

Bannan over Williams any day

And when did bannan outclass Williams ?. All about opinions of course , I think Williams plays in the championship due to injuries and think bannan plays there due to ability.

orp pisshead1
28-09-2017, 12:52 AM
Doesn't lose possession much .. he draws fouls normally, there's still a good player in him...much better than Barry.

Exactly this ^^^^^

costello
28-09-2017, 06:15 AM
Could still be a key player for us next season if this one doesn't improve.

glaziers fan
28-09-2017, 06:51 AM
Glad to hear he is doing well. The guy has talent, and ability. He's still young enough to make it given a run of games. Injuries mean there aren't too many miles on the clock either. Will improve and do well. Think he will be a bottom half Premiership player, eventually.

sydnsteve
02-10-2017, 05:33 PM
I really like JW. Hope he does well for them.

gold76
03-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Paper talk of Birmingham being keen

Tim
03-10-2017, 06:50 AM
Paper talk of Birmingham being keen

He’ll light it up in League 1 next season.

AJ
03-10-2017, 12:45 PM
We need to keep him for the time being as he will be an asset in our championship midfield next season.

Bones14
03-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Will be very handy next season you'd think.

Marksf
03-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Glad to hear he is doing well. The guy has talent, and ability. He's still young enough to make it given a run of games. Injuries mean there aren't too many miles on the clock either. Will improve and do well. Think he will be a bottom half Premiership player, eventually.

Yeah all those lengthily injuries are sure to benefit his longevity.

radiomike
03-10-2017, 02:27 PM
a diehard sunderland fan confirms to me they are very impressed up there with JW but fears he may be inured again

Maidstoned Eagle
03-10-2017, 06:51 PM
And when did bannan outclass Williams ?. All about opinions of course , I think Williams plays in the championship due to injuries and think bannan plays there due to ability.

The game I saw was the cup game vs Newcastle. JW was a poor 2nd to Bannan that night