PDA

View Full Version : Will a loss at Burnley be acceptable ?

racehorse-80s
04-09-2017, 10:50 AM
I think not given what has happened in the last 3 games .

Kirby
04-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Depends on the circumstances. If we batter them for 90 mins and lose to a smash and grab you could accept it as bad luck.

Lose like we did against Huddersfield and Swansea and it's going to be very hard for FdB to come back from, especially with away games at City and United coming up.

Malarkey
04-09-2017, 10:55 AM
I'm expecting a loss, regardless of how our previous games have gone :D

Mictor Voses
04-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Whatever happens I'm expecting a dire game of football. I'll be going anyway though.

redsox
04-09-2017, 11:06 AM
Why would anyone think we would win this game . Burnley are way ahead in skill, confidence and ability. All those things that are missing from Palace.

Mr Bo Jangles
04-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Back to basics with a 4-5-1 (4-3-3) approach with Townsend and Schlupp providing the width and speed and crosses for Benteke, RLC back, Cabaye fully fit and hopefully starting. Despite the absolute dross of the first 3 games I feel surprisingly confident.

ozzie eagle
04-09-2017, 11:27 AM
I do wonder if FDB has lost the dressing room, and hence the players won't turn up knowing full well a loss will result in FDB receiving his marching orders...

Son of Ron
04-09-2017, 11:37 AM
I do wonder if FDB has lost the dressing room, and hence the players won't turn up knowing full well a loss will result in FDB receiving his marching orders...

in which case why not sack some players instead of the manager !

dowieslovechild
04-09-2017, 11:48 AM

Did he ever have it?

The cracks had already started to appear during the Liverpool Asia Cup game. His tactics are quite simply dreadful. He doesn't know his players and doesn't know how to win a game. His body language screams that he's totally lost. Get rid of him now.

CP-RJW
04-09-2017, 11:50 AM
I think not given what has happened in the last 3 games .
Yep, if we had say 3 or 4 points from our previous matches it would be acceptable but in our current state no. Still expecting to lose though.

alf
04-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Did he ever have it?

The cracks had already started to appear during the Liverpool Asia Cup game. His tactics are quite simply dreadful. He doesn't know his players and doesn't know how to win a game. His body language screams that he's totally lost. Get rid of him now.

Initially, a lot of people criticised BFS's body language......just saying. Maybe we will turn the corner.

Miklemoose
04-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Initially, a lot of people criticised BFS's body language......just saying. Maybe we will turn the corner.

And I remember feeling the same way after our first 3 games of the year that we got promoted. Would never have asked for Doog to be sacked back then though (before he ditched us)

Gotta give FDB another 5 games at least IMO.

On the Burnley game: more acceptable than Swansea & Huddersfield but the cumulative effect will make defeat feeling disasterous.

bodger
04-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Why would anyone think we would win this game . Burnley are way ahead in skill, confidence and ability. All those things that are missing from Palace.

Confidence yes tactics/system yes not skill and ability we have a few weak links yes but a midfield of Cabaye McArthur RLC and Punchoen is good enough to create the chances to beat them.

glaziers fan
04-09-2017, 12:28 PM
If Tomkins is fit we have a chance of a draw. But I think they will bully our centre backs and without Zaha we are very unlikely to win. Freedman might be able to grind out a 0-0 draw.

davech
04-09-2017, 12:31 PM
I'm expecting to lose. Doesn't make it acceptable though.

We need at least a point to stop the rot.

rambo1
04-09-2017, 12:39 PM
I'm expecting a loss, regardless of how our previous games have gone :D

I always Expect a Victory.
Keep Making the Chances we Did against,Huddersfield & Swansea,the Chances will,Eventually,be Taken.
Its Keeping them out that's the Problem.

Hector
04-09-2017, 12:46 PM
I'm expecting FdB to be sacked whatever the result. A loss make it easier for the board.

We are likely to be piss poor certainly if he's lost the dressing room they are hardly going to save him.

mrgins
04-09-2017, 01:36 PM
Shouldn't be a yes or no poll. Depends how we line up, our effort, substitutions, injuries. We'd be happy with three points if they scored an own goal that won us the game even if we were shit, but that's not acceptable (well we'd take it but it's not good enough!)

racehorse-80s
04-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Franks under a lot of pressure this weekend going by the Poll .

Mad Raschic Ken
04-09-2017, 04:21 PM
For me the performance and the direction of travel is more important than the result in terms of the manager's future. If nothing changes, we play more drab pedestrian passing football with no width and fluke a win I would want him gone. Conversely, if he makes some positive changes and shows a willingness to adapt to the players we have and still lose I would like to see him given more time.

Football has too many influences he can't control to decide his future based on a single result.

aj4england
04-09-2017, 04:25 PM
nope definately not

Kosowski
04-09-2017, 05:16 PM
If we lose, he needs to go.

SE5eagle
04-09-2017, 05:21 PM
^

This.

Last chance saloon for me.

Mr Palace
04-09-2017, 05:31 PM
If you were looking at independently of other results then of course it would be acceptable but it's not acceptable in the context of throwing away six highly winnable points and with the fixtures we have coming up. Must at least not lose this.

NorthPalace23
04-09-2017, 05:38 PM
If a manager is one game away from the sack you may as well just sack him.

I want us to win. We need to get something from the game.

Looking at the bigger picture De Boer needs to go asap for us to avoid relegation so hopefully a defeat will put an end to his time here.

bern5161
04-09-2017, 06:12 PM
It's a results business. We lose he goes.

Payroll Legend
04-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Since when does what's acceptable make any difference

dowieslovechild
04-09-2017, 09:10 PM
Make changes to the serial wrong decision maker. SP is more at fault than FdB. FdB wasnt thorough enough with his research, I genunely believe that he just wanted to manage a Premier League side and didn't look at who he had at his disposal to execute his style of play and probably knowing that he had a limited budget to make player adjustments where it was necessary.

SP had the time to make the right manager choice and when there was a reasonable shortlist of credible managers available to look at. IMO this one is by far his worst manager choice to date.

What I am not saying is to sack the chairman, but we need a structure in place to improve the hiring/selection process. It failed so miserably with Pardew, why would he think that reverting back to this strategy/formation, with the same players, would be any different and when it is blatantly apparent that our side is incapable of playing this way?

Jordan's Jacket
04-09-2017, 09:24 PM
inevitable is the word you are searching for

TWELLSEagle
04-09-2017, 09:30 PM

That's football, expect the unexpected. Plus you're wrong about skill and ability, we are way ahead on those, just far behind on strategy, confidence, team play, leadership, nouse. The former are worthless without the latter.

16eagles
04-09-2017, 09:40 PM
I just think Dyche will have them fired right up for this. Would of come to us if we would of been in for him. Debatable but probably our next manager for me.

CPFC.1990
04-09-2017, 10:02 PM
Of course it would be acceptable. We are in a dire mess and I fully expect to see Burnley take advantage. Confidence must be rock bottom and could take weeks to get over this speculation.

DARZET EAGLE
04-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Any Palace loss is unacceptable to me, but with the current supporters mindset of disappointment and frustration a loss at Burnley would be expected. This is Palace though, get the players on side, play the system that they are comfortable with and FDB could orchestrate a surprise. I'm not holding my breath though.

Lombardarian
04-09-2017, 10:15 PM
Lose on Sunday and by the time we are done with the 2 Manchester away games(barring miracles) we have lost our 6 of our first 7 games and that is presuming a result against Southampton.

jimmy the gent
04-09-2017, 10:44 PM

Their players aren't bad either.

racehorse-80s
04-09-2017, 10:51 PM
It's grim up north on Sunday .

PeterH
05-09-2017, 01:14 AM
If we get humped he must be gone.

Unlucky for him that the players that could save him are injured.

Maidstoned said in July that the one thing he feared this season was losing Zaha to a long term injury.

Huddersfield kicked him off the park with no referree protection - I'd make sure that referree and the referees association are sent a letter about that.

red&blue_moomin
05-09-2017, 02:13 AM

Burnley. AKA keep it narrow and tight bang it long to the big man Burnley. They are a side we struggle with precisely because we are crap with the ball. We give it back to them so often with aimless pumped balls that it makes it easy for them.

Burnley have effort and desire and in this league it won't last look at our lot you can't keep playing shite attritional football week in week out season after season it makes you reliant on one or two star players when they get injured or off form you slump. Sound familiar.

H.Bomb
05-09-2017, 05:28 AM
It depends on the manner of the defeat.

Asagaya_Eagle
05-09-2017, 05:59 AM
Yeah - would be ******* great

CPFC85
05-09-2017, 06:33 AM
No

Dutch O
05-09-2017, 09:07 AM
If a manager is one game away from the sack you may as well just sack him.

I want us to win. We need to get something from the game.

Looking at the bigger picture De Boer needs to go asap for us to avoid relegation so hopefully a defeat will put an end to his time here.

Alex Ferguson was one game away from the sack apparently.

While I can admit there have been very little, if any, positive signs this season, I still don't think 4 games is a big enough sample size to work out if fdb is going to be a success. I reckon we could revert back to a pulis/ allardyce style manager and have a good chance of staying in this league, but I think those tactics can only get you so far. If you want to break further into the top 10 we need to evolve into a more possession based team and control games more, which is what fdb is trying to do.

I would personally be looking at the manager situation after 10 games and see where we are then, but as you can tell by my username I might be looking at it through more orange tinted specs than most people!

mexicaneagle
05-09-2017, 09:18 AM
What does it mean to be "unacceptable"? Do we not accept the result, and pretend it was a draw or win? Lodge an appeal with the FA to change the result? Do ST holders rip them up?

Looking at the thread, it seems to mea that should we lose, we should sack FdB. I'd say no to this.

unforgivable, yes. But we need to give managers time (unless the rumours on here are true and he's universally hated at the club)

NorthPalace23
05-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Alex Ferguson was one game away from the sack apparently.

While I can admit there have been very little, if any, positive signs this season, I still don't think 4 games is a big enough sample size to work out if fdb is going to be a success. I reckon we could revert back to a pulis/ allardyce style manager and have a good chance of staying in this league, but I think those tactics can only get you so far. If you want to break further into the top 10 we need to evolve into a more possession based team and control games more, which is what fdb is trying to do.

I would personally be looking at the manager situation after 10 games and see where we are then, but as you can tell by my username I might be looking at it through more orange tinted specs than most people!

Ferguson was one of the best managers of all time. With that logic you would never sack anyone. You can't say that a manager one game away from the sack will emulate Ferguson, or even be successful.

If we lose to Burnley and Southampton we will have 0 points from 5 games. We then have Chelsea, Man U, and Man C next. Realistically that would be 0 points from 8 games.

The formation and style doesn't work and won't work. I don't buy the argument that De Boer's approach is better or progressive. Leicester won the league without large possession. A Pulis side will never come close to relegation. With Allardyce/Pulis in charge since 2013 I don't think we would ever have come close to relegation. The managers not the style were to blame for our struggles.

We don't have the players to break into the top 7. There is no point trying to play them at their own games as they are better at it. We did however beat Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool playing effective football.

I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. I'm desperate for us to win or even draw. I just think De Boer is a mistake and needs to go asap.

GorBlimey
05-09-2017, 09:54 PM
If we lose to Burnley and Southampton we will have 0 points from 5 games. We then have Chelsea, Man U, and Man C next. Realistically that would be 0 points from 8 games.

So he would be up there with BFS's results at the start then.

Jim Cannon
05-09-2017, 10:08 PM
Of course it would be acceptable. We are in a dire mess and I fully expect to see Burnley take advantage. Confidence must be rock bottom and could take weeks to get over this speculation.

On it's own it would be, but after the start we have had it is not. With tough games coming up we could potentially be on 0 points after 6 games! At this stage I just want to see us score a ******* goal though

Johnny Byrne
05-09-2017, 11:28 PM
No

Sleeping Giant
06-09-2017, 09:01 AM
A draw isn't good enough either now with the upcoming fixtures. It is where we have put ourselves given beyond idiotic direction at the top.

Kylie_Tracey
06-09-2017, 09:07 AM
I'm dreading this game especially with their home form, another 2/3-0 loss, I see the same scenario against Southampton and nothing against the Manchester clubs, seven games pointless and possibly goalless as well

GreatGonzo
06-09-2017, 09:14 AM
So he would be up there with BFS's results at the start then.

He was 4 points from 8 games. BFS 'only' got 26 points from his 21 games, over the course of the season that is 47 points despite spending the net single most amount of money in a transfer window in our history.

The Sakho run of games was all that kept us up last year so we need to be far ahead of the BFS record IMO. Without Sakho his record was played 13 points 10!

Kirby
06-09-2017, 09:35 AM
We struggle enough without Wilf at the best of times. With him still out I can't see us creating much on Sunday.

Our best hope is a battling 0-0 or a smash and grab from a set piece IMO.

Let's just hope we go with four at the back and play everyone in their best positions, then we may at least start to see some progress.

Sleeping Giant
06-09-2017, 10:05 AM
We struggle enough without Wilf at the best of times. With him still out I can't see us creating much on Sunday.

How often have we won when one of any two of Bolasie/Wilf/AT haven't played? (in whichever era that we had 2) Hardly ever? All the noise about Hennessey and a reserve striker in the transfer window was worthy but without tricky winger winger cover we are utterly impotent. Hardly mentioned. What weird self destructive times these are.

Kirby
06-09-2017, 10:23 AM
How often have we won when one of any two of Bolasie/Wilf/AT haven't played? (in whichever era that we had 2) Hardly ever? All the noise about Hennessey and a reserve striker in the transfer window was worthy but without tricky winger winger cover we are utterly impotent. Hardly mentioned. What weird self destructive times these are.

I dread to think.

That's why I'd play Kaikai.

He may not be the finished product but he offers something a bit different, can score goals and takes a mean set piece.

Much rather take a chance on him than watch the same old predictable Lee/Sako shitshow.

GreatGonzo
06-09-2017, 10:31 AM

Our best hope is a battling 0-0 or a smash and grab from a set piece IMO.

Let's just hope we go with four at the back and play everyone in their best positions, then we may at least start to see some progress.

Once we had changed formation and Cabaye had come on against Swansea we created a series of opportunities, half chances, albeit no gilt edged ones. With RLC possibly coming back into the side i think we will create some chances. Our problem so far this season has been taking any of them, i think the 'expected goals' graphic has a combined total of about 4 for us so far this season and yet we have 0.

Gerry from Sussex
06-09-2017, 10:32 AM
It's a strange question for me. I don't think of results in acceptable/unacceptable terms - just whether the result of each game is deserved or not based on the performance. So, I can't really say til we see the game. You could argue about whether the performance itself is acceptable or not but even then I don't usually think about it so much in those terms as there are so many variables and, especially at times like this, lack of confidence can be a real killer however hard the lads try.

Kirby
06-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Once we had changed formation and Cabaye had come on against Swansea we created a series of opportunities, half chances, albeit no gilt edged ones. With RLC possibly coming back into the side i think we will create some chances. Our problem so far this season has been taking any of them, i think the 'expected goals' graphic has a combined total of about 4 for us so far this season and yet we have 0.

Unfortunately for us Burnley's defence is a lot more resolute than Swansea's (as we found out at Selhurst last season).

Having Cabaye back in the starting eleven will be a bonus though.

Payney
06-09-2017, 10:35 AM
I'd take a point.

aj4england
06-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Pack it with our biggest players, be tight and go for set pieces Pulis style.

aj4england
06-09-2017, 10:37 AM
What does it mean to be "unacceptable"? Do we not accept the result, and pretend it was a draw or win? Lodge an appeal with the FA to change the result? Do ST holders rip them up?

Looking at the thread, it seems to mea that should we lose, we should sack FdB. I'd say no to this.

unforgivable, yes. But we need to give managers time (unless the rumours on here are true and he's universally hated at the club)

Id say hes pretty unliked by the fans already. The performance is probably as important as the result this weekend. That said if we lose, he should be sacked (though I think he should go anyway)

GreatGonzo
06-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Unfortunately for us Burnley's defence is a lot more resolute than Swansea's (as we found out at Selhurst last season).

Having Cabaye back in the starting eleven will be a bonus though.

Will be interesting to see their defence having lost Keane. Certainly in terms of the number of shots teams have face only Swansea have given up more than Burnley. That obviously doesn't differentiate the difficulty of any shot but it may be we will get an opportunity or 2 more than we did last year.

The trouble is even if we get the shots they have Heaton in goal and we could do with him having a bad day.

GreatGonzo
06-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Pack it with our biggest players, be tight and go for set pieces Pulis style.

Think that would suit Burnley. Their defenders IMO are vulnerable to players running at them. Play our best XI and get at them is our best chance as it always is.

Ooh Betty
06-09-2017, 11:15 AM
Think that would suit Burnley. Their defenders IMO are vulnerable to players running at them. Play our best XI and get at them is our best chance as it always is.

Zaha (and maybe RLC) is/are injured.

scro
06-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Football is a game of fine margins. It's perfectly possible to lose any given game without being innept or incompetent. I feel really uncomfortable with this notion that FDB is gone if we lose. I think that entirely misses the reasons for keeping him or letting him go. If the only thing keeping him in the job is 3 points at the weekend then he should be gone anyway. Otherwise if he has the support of the dressing room and an agreed method with the board he should obviously be given more time regardless of the result.

Adlerhorst
06-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Football is a game of fine margins. It's perfectly possible to lose any given game without being innept or incompetent. I feel really uncomfortable with this notion that FDB is gone if we lose. I think that entirely misses the reasons for keeping him or letting him go. If the only thing keeping him in the job is 3 points at the weekend then he should be gone anyway. Otherwise if he has the support of the dressing room and an agreed method with the board he should obviously be given more time regardless of the result.all of this.

Keeping his job because we fluke a 1-0 win whilst getting battered on the pitch would be as silly if he lost it because we played them off the park but managed to lose 1-0.

Stockport_Eagle
06-09-2017, 11:57 AM
Football is a game of fine margins. It's perfectly possible to lose any given game without being innept or incompetent. I feel really uncomfortable with this notion that FDB is gone if we lose. I think that entirely misses the reasons for keeping him or letting him go. If the only thing keeping him in the job is 3 points at the weekend then he should be gone anyway. Otherwise if he has the support of the dressing room and an agreed method with the board he should obviously be given more time regardless of the result.
Agree with this...but...if we lose on Sunday, we'll be staring down the barrel at the very real possibility of being Played 8, Lost 8 in a few weeks time, given the fixtures.

It's perfectly possible to lose any game, yes, but it's equally unprecedented (probably?) for any team to lose the first 8 games of any Premier League season.

Jim Cannon
06-09-2017, 12:21 PM

In any case can anyone see FDB trying to go Pulis style? Nope, me neither.

Mr Bo Jangles
06-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Bottom 3 after 8 games last season Sunderland 2, Swansea 4 and Stoke 6. Would probably settle for 4 at this time, 8 games with no points is just unthinkable Sunday has become very important.

glaziers fan
06-09-2017, 02:33 PM
Wheel out Wilf, the manager's job is on the line.

In all seriousness it will be an extremely tough game. Don't forget that Burnley have an excellent record in the Premiership at Turf Moor. We are missing key players through injury. FdB hung out to dry with a threadbare squad, probably not of his choosing. Ridiculous.

glaziers fan
06-09-2017, 02:34 PM
In any case can anyone see FDB trying to go Pulis style? Nope, me neither.

Were we gung-ho at Anfield? I must have missed that.

Pierre
06-09-2017, 02:53 PM
FDB is under pressure already but he will not lose his job or be hung out to dry if we lose on Sunday:-
Unless we play an abject miserable game devoid of any ambition, system or game-plan. Then I could see the pressure really mount on him.

In very recent talks and discussions with SP he surely has been given more time to put over his possible changes in plans and formations, style of play and what he expects from the squad into practice.

However everyone knows FDB has not got long to put all the pieces together and make this work. I for one hope he does and soon.
A draw on Sunday would not be a disaster!
The week after however Wilf's return and a Selhurst Park welcome back to Sakho before beating Southampton would just be the icing on the cake for me. I think FDB would settle for that as well!

Danny_Cheviot
06-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Yes, because we won't play 4-2-3-1 with Sakho and Zaha in the team.

Ooh Betty
06-09-2017, 03:14 PM
FDB is under pressure already but he will not lose his job or be hung out to dry if we lose on Sunday:-
Unless we play an abject miserable game devoid of any ambition, system or game-plan.

So that's him gone then.

IanH
06-09-2017, 03:34 PM
This is Palace. We will win at Burnley and FDB will keep his job but we will then lose at home to Southampton and he will get fired after yet another home defeat. God help anyone coming in quickly after Southampton though looking at the next three fixtures! [emoji15]

Spindle
06-09-2017, 03:39 PM
It's not acceptable to be physically beaten although that is what I expect to happen.

Davy64
06-09-2017, 03:57 PM
Will the players play for him? i doubt it from what i've heard

st albans
06-09-2017, 04:28 PM
needs 4 points from the next 2. Don't care which way round they come. Anything less and it's see you later

westsussexcpfc
06-09-2017, 04:52 PM
We will lose at Burnley and FdB will get the push.
Dougie will take over as caretaker and lose the next four.
Leaving Big Sam to make a glorious comeback beating the Toon and Wham, thus leading us charging up the table.

danpalace07
08-09-2017, 12:30 AM
Not really but it really depends on the performance. If we are creating chances, not looking shit at the back but get done on a set piece then you can kind of forgive that

bubbs11
08-09-2017, 02:55 AM
Not really but it really depends on the performance. If we are creating chances, not looking shit at the back but get done on a set piece then you can kind of forgive that

It's the 'creating chances' that I'll be looking for as that has been worryingly missing from all our games under FDB including the friendlies. Law of averages really; the more you create the more chance of scoring. I still can't believe we've gone three league games without scoring a goal - think that is a season starting club record.

rhiannapaul
09-09-2017, 08:53 PM
No ...Brighton are above us for the first time in a billion years ..i don't like it. Start winning

TouchyAndalou
09-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Will the players play for him? i doubt it from what i've heard What you've heard from posters on a message board? Or do you have an inside Twitter source?

alexcpfc
09-09-2017, 11:22 PM

Has FdB really lost the dressing room? 3 games he has had that's it yes 2 were at home and were shocking performances however I have the solution for him :

Play the pretty football, passing from side to side, back and forth and so on then when we get the ball out wide just smash / cross it up to Benteke, guaranteed to get goals. Do this till we get to 40 points and then you can change everything.

This very simple formula will work then again if only it was that simple. Maybe it actually is.

eagleborn
09-09-2017, 11:36 PM
After today's results, another defeat would be pretty disastrous. 4 defeats per se isnt. However when you consider that these are (bar potentially liverpool) games we should have been picking up points from, then it's pretty bloody bad.

laths
09-09-2017, 11:48 PM
Where just a sh*t team in London, just a sh*t team in London etc etc

TAK
09-09-2017, 11:48 PM
Brighton won we have zero points.

If we lose tomorrow it's more how we lose than the result. Same shambles as our two home games then yes. Build on the way we played at Anfield then no.

grand aigle
10-09-2017, 06:52 AM
No ...Brighton are above us for the first time in a billion years ..i don't like it. Start winning

It wont last, they have a long history of bottling it....they will not be above us at the end of the season even if we are relegated.

Lydder
10-09-2017, 07:12 AM
Reading the FdB article on Sky Sports with him stating he will not be swayed from his philosophy is pretty worrying, more boring sideways / backwards passing served up today. It's a sad state of affairs but if the guy can't see that these players aren't upto it, if he is going to continue trying to put square pegs in round holes, he deserves his fate.

A loss today is not acceptable but another abject performance even less acceptable.

Tim
10-09-2017, 07:42 AM
If FdB wasn't going to given time or money then what was the point of the whole experiment? Might as well have just given Dyche the job in the first place.

bubbs11
10-09-2017, 08:10 AM
If FdB wasn't going to given time or money then what was the point of the whole experiment? Might as well have just given Dyche the job in the first place.

Not given money?

Spent nearly 40m on signings this summer and God knows how much the wages of Mensah and Loftus Cheek are? I would think near the 100k a week mark. Add that to the 40m odd we spent in January.

How much money do you think we've got?

New LP
10-09-2017, 08:20 AM
Reading the FdB article on Sky Sports with him stating he will not be swayed from his philosophy is pretty worrying, more boring sideways / backwards passing served up today. It's a sad state of affairs but if the guy can't see that these players aren't upto it, if he is going to continue trying to put square pegs in round holes, he deserves his fate.

A loss today is not acceptable but another abject performance even less acceptable.

It's what he believes in though and what we signed up to.

If we didn't want this approach, and to be honest any sane person wouldn't with the resources we have. Then don't appoint him in the first place. To then slate him for not 'adapting' and going to 4-3-3 etc misses the point. He came with his own stubbornly held philosophy, influenced by Van Gaal etc. That's what we signed up to.

Tim
10-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Not given money?

Spent nearly 40m on signings this summer and God knows how much the wages of Mensah and Loftus Cheek are? I would think near the 100k a week mark. Add that to the 40m odd we spent in January.

How much money do you think we've got?

I don't think Sakho was an FdB signing do you? RLC was signed because he's South London & proud..

Spindle
10-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Brighton won we have zero points.

If we lose tomorrow it's more how we lose than the result. Same shambles as our two home games then yes. Build on the way we played at Anfield then no.

We weren't that good at Anfield. They missed a couple of sitters and we had only 1 great chance. It was mostly huff and puff defence, we didn't look all that dangerous.

bubbs11
10-09-2017, 08:36 AM
I don't think Sakho was an FdB signing do you? RLC was signed because he's South London & proud..

Sorry I thought we were debating on logic not the imaginings of your mind. In that case, you're right.

dasboy
10-09-2017, 08:41 AM
But he played 4 at the back at Ajax so why the obsession with 3 now? If he does not adapt he will be gone and the sooner the better. A good manager looks at the players he has and then sets them up in the system most suited to them and picks the best 11 players for the system.
If he does not do this then quite simply he gas not a good manager.
Everyone I speak to feels 433 is the most suitable formation and almost to the man picks the same eleven. Misfield 3 of Luca Cabaye and RLC is a must. Front 3 at the moment surely Schlupp Benteke Townsend.
Very worrying times - I was excited about this appointment based on playing career but he seems very inflexible and the football is so boring.
Possession is pointless if you do not do anything with it. We were much more exciting to watch under Allardyce I think.
Is know a few people who actually want us to lose today and next week so that he goes- sad state of affairs.

modernsouler
10-09-2017, 08:47 AM
If we lose today but actually somehow manage to score a goal today, I would call that progress and give him one more game.

Bryan
10-09-2017, 09:05 AM
it seems like an age since I've been able to enjoy a Palace win. Even when Sam was winning last season we were still in trouble and it's felt like such a long slog since the yanks took over. Please can we just get some respite as it ruins my weekend.

And please no Andy Townsend type commentators (best wishes go with those that travel btw).

Expat Eagle
10-09-2017, 09:07 AM
As long as we play some adventurous, aggressive, counter attacking football today and not the insipid drudgery that's been served up so far, plus not playing Ward as a wing back, then I'd give him more time. We could lose today but win against Southampton and I'd give him the next three tough games too. It's all about how we play rather than the results, for now.

I still think it's unforgiveable not getting in a new keeper and a spare striker in the window.

exiledeagle
10-09-2017, 09:17 AM
Has to be a win today

bodger
10-09-2017, 09:19 AM
We weren't that good at Anfield. They missed a couple of sitters and we had only 1 great chance. It was mostly huff and puff defence, we didn't look all that dangerous.

Arsenal didnt look good there either they are a top four team it was a TP/SA like peformance hard to beat try to nick a goal. We had the best move of the match as well.

Billy Rhino
10-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Let's be honest, a heavy defeat today and unfortunately he has to go.

exiledeagle
10-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Let's be honest, a heavy defeat today and unfortunately he has to go.

Can we afford to sack him even if SP wants to ? Paying up his contract and his backroom staff , bringing in new Manager and backroom staff . Could we be talking of 10m ?

PALACEFAN
10-09-2017, 10:18 AM
They are very good at home although I'm sure that'll be overlooked by many on here. Having said that, we need the points. A draw would be decent, a win excellent.

glaziers fan
10-09-2017, 10:18 AM
I think he should have at least the next home game to sort it out, even if we lose vs Burnley.

NorthPalace23
10-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Can we afford to sack him even if SP wants to ? Paying up his contract and his backroom staff , bringing in new Manager and backroom staff . Could we be talking of 10m ?

Can we afford the cost of relegation?

Neckinger Eagle
10-09-2017, 10:27 AM
I've avoided this thread because it is like the Brexit vote. The situation is just too nuanced to be decided on a Yes/No vote.

If the players put a decent, agressive shift in, face an inspired goalie and get beaten by a Clattenberg then, no. There would be enough signs of improvement to want to give FDB time.

If we are subjected to tedious passing across the back three, not getting close to the Burnley goal, and then they saunter up and score a couple, then yes, get rid.

But I don't have confidence in the current regime to pull another managerial rabbit out of the hat. Freedman? Hodgson? Another ex-Palace player? Do me a favour. I'm starting to lean towards giving FDB time irrespective of his appalling performance so far because all looks lost anyway.

Tim
10-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Sorry I thought we were debating on logic not the imaginings of your mind. In that case, you're right.

Franks made 2 signings apart from that its Sams team & that's not in my mind mate.

Bryan
10-09-2017, 11:40 AM
it seems like an age since I've been able to enjoy a Palace win. Even when Sam was winning last season we were still in trouble and it's felt like such a long slog since the yanks took over. Please can we just get some respite as it ruins my weekend.

And please no Andy Townsend type commentators (best wishes go with those that travel btw).

PhuketEagle
10-09-2017, 02:45 PM
Thought we far outplayed Burnley today after the 3rd minute goal. Twice as much possession, 13 corners, 23 shots, 2 off line...how did we not score? We played some great football @ times & surely the results will come, its just that first goal...WHEN FFS?!

beef
10-09-2017, 02:45 PM
I have accepted the loss now.

mrgins
10-09-2017, 05:01 PM
I have accepted the loss now.

Not much choice, but in some ways it was a loss and yet an improvement. Just very concerned. No doubt we'll play very well against the top clubs but lose by one goal

mrgins
10-09-2017, 05:02 PM
Thought we far outplayed Burnley today after the 3rd minute goal. Twice as much possession, 13 corners, 23 shots, 2 off line...how did we not score? We played some great football @ times & surely the results will come, its just that first goal...WHEN FFS?!

How did we not score? Because some professionals couldnt hit the broad side of a barn, including our 30mil striker when he got service to his head

SJ'sLoveMonkey
10-09-2017, 05:03 PM

On any other day we would have scored 5 today but we didn't and we are where we are. We need to get that first win and goal next week otherwise after the next three fixtures the teams confidence could be irreversibly damaged

wrightchipvcfc
10-09-2017, 07:20 PM
I said no before game but in fairness to fdb I don't remember dominating a away game so much and lose stats tell you that and creating so many clear cut chances just combination of bad finishing and there keeper stopped us winning.the one mistake fdb did make was selecting lee we have been down this road before his not a prem player and that cost him dearly but other then that without RLC tomkins sakho and wilf that was a good performance agaist a poor burnley team wish we could play so bad at home get murdered and still pick up 3 points

CoDownEagle
10-09-2017, 07:29 PM
I would love to know who wanted sakho other than the fans. If FDB did not see him as a priority then it's unfair to blame him for the performance. We were crying out for somebody to put the ball in the net today but have nobody else other than Benteke, meanwhile our 26m centre back (the 6th centre back in the squad) sits in the stands as he hasn't played a game in 6 months and is not match fit. Lunacy ?

PemboExpress
10-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Frank's not getting sacked and quite rightly so. End of. Parish has said as much. Time to move on and support the team going forwards rather than create mischief and panic here.

Reg_Maudling
10-09-2017, 07:30 PM
change poll to: will a loss against southampton be acceptable?