PDA

View Full Version : saturday evening kickoffs

johnnybacaro
05-09-2017, 02:04 PM
http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-the-premier-league-are-considering-proposing-a-new-kick-off-time-20170904

Am I the only person here not completely opposed to the idea? I have always believed selhurst is a special place at night and would love a night match when i dont have to work the next day.

Obviously, I would want a few restrictions

1) eliminate the ridiculously early kickoffs (noon and 1)
2) limits these match to local derbys or ones with minimal travel

Icy
06-09-2017, 09:42 AM
The only games i'm really opposed to are Friday night kick offs. Evening Saturday (and lunchtime kick off's) are fine as long as they are local games where transport isn't a problem.

What annoys me is that they change the games / times at short notice. TV should need to decide the televised games and times 3 months in advance so we can take advantage of decent travel deals, not be losing money when they move a game seemingly at a whim.

They might as well just scrap the no televised 3pm kick off rules instead now so we can get back to regular 3pm Saturday games like the old days.

saxoneagle
06-09-2017, 09:50 AM
The traditionalist in me says football should be at 3pm on a Saturday.

But as the OP says, I love night matches. Sports with floodlights are way better than daytime stuff, just seems to add to the atmosphere.

pallet
06-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Saturday evening kick offs usually happen in our house when I dont want to watch Strictly.

mroakley9
06-09-2017, 09:56 AM
No thanks. Every match should be played 12pm on a Saturday (if not earlier).

Twilko
06-09-2017, 09:59 AM
No thanks. Every match should be played 12pm on a Saturday (if not earlier).

3pm kick offs are fine as it means I can go out drinking and make it home in time for the match at 11pm~12am. Evening kick-offs are not fun.

Kirby
06-09-2017, 10:02 AM
I quite like the 5.30pm Saturday kick-offs as it gives you plenty of time for a few beers before and after and you're still comfortably home for MOTD.

Don't think there's any need for 7.45pm Saturday kick-offs, however I think it's inevitable.

eagleborn
06-09-2017, 10:02 AM
http://www.sportbible.com/football/news-the-premier-league-are-considering-proposing-a-new-kick-off-time-20170904

Am I the only person here not completely opposed to the idea? I have always believed selhurst is a special place at night and would love a night match when i dont have to work the next day.

Obviously, I would want a few restrictions

1) eliminate the ridiculously early kickoffs (noon and 1)
2) limits these match to local derbys or ones with minimal travel

They'd never do a local derby or match between rivals late on a Saturday. People would get too pissed and cause trouble. They'll only ever do it between non-rival teams

Nigel_Scarfer
06-09-2017, 10:07 AM
I like Friday evening kick offs myself, but on the proviso that 1) it is against Charlton, 2) it is away, 3) I have the day off work to get on the rice and have a piss up around London Bridge, 4) we have Pyro in the away end and, preferably but not essential, 5) KG volleys in just before half time.

The atmosphere in the away end that night was something else. The state of some of our fans that evening was a sight to behold though!

aj4england
06-09-2017, 10:16 AM
In preference of kickoff - I find the worst day for football is a Monday. Generally a dull atmosphere and Monday is always the worst day after the weekend. Also do not like Sunday Or Sat early kick offs as messes travel up and generally atmosphere is dead, possibly due to less time pre game in the pub.

1) Saturday - 3pm
2) Tuesday or Wednesday - 8pm
3) Friday Night - 8pm
4) Sunday 4pm
5) Sat 5.30pm
6) Sunday 1.30pm
7) Sat 12.30pm
8) Monday - 8pm

tsunamiman
06-09-2017, 10:20 AM
I'd like all premier league games to move to 5.30pm on saturday so they can be shown on tv. But then again I'm in the minority there.

ChiswickEagle
06-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately the train system would leave fans unable to get home from some away matches as with midweek cup matches presently.

SilentAssassin
06-09-2017, 10:45 AM
Great for home and local matches. Shite if we're up north and you normally travel by train or work on a Sunday.
You would of hoped by now clubs or the league would have cottoned on to making journeys for fans that want to go to away games cheaper and easier, especially having announced ridiculous kick off times like we had with Hull last season.

I do also wonder what effect that would have on players recovery times. Would the league still make teams play a Saturday night game and then a Monday night game for example?

Phil's Barber
06-09-2017, 10:46 AM
Lets face it, the attending fans are not going to be considered. This is all about global live broadcasts and local timings.

cpfc4evandeva
06-09-2017, 10:54 AM
3pm is probably the most convenient time for away fans.

They can usually have a beer or two before the game, but get home at some ungodly hour. Earlier kick-offs mean an early start and little chance to visit a pub, late kick-offs mean getting home late or not at all.

But this won't mean anything if the Yanks want to start chucking money at the Premier League.

GreatGonzo
06-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Lets face it, the attending fans are not going to be considered. This is all about global live broadcasts and local timings.

Evening Kick-Offs are surely for the American market as Asia is asleep then aren't they?

SilentAssassin
06-09-2017, 11:02 AM

Of course but that should mean even more so that the paying fan should be considered when the league and clubs are getting 's of selling live games.

RCUK
06-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Liverpool 3 - 3 at night was the perfect time for it.

Dont think it would have been the same as a Saturday 3pm kick-off, for some bizarre reason i cant explain.

Johnnieboy
06-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Evening Kick-Offs are surely for the American market as Asia is asleep then aren't they?

Exactly this. Won't suit the majority of fans who actually go to games, and the live UK TV audiences probably won't be too high either (it being a Saturday rather than any other night)

Leopald Stotch
06-09-2017, 12:03 PM
I've been to several Sat late evening games in Spain, and cannot remember 1 minute of action. The logic being that for most Spanish fans this is a usual time to have a game, but for most English supporters, it is an opportunity to spend the whole of Saturday (up until 5 minutes before kick-off) getting absolutely bladdered. In all honesty, I don't think the toilets in selhurst would cope. It's bad enough on a normal game, let alone when the average fan is trying to piss a vat full of lager every time the go.

Oli28
06-09-2017, 12:05 PM
I do also wonder what effect that would have on players recovery times. Would the league still make teams play a Saturday night game and then a Monday night game for example?
Don't think it'd too great an impact. You wouldn't play Saturday and Monday as it is.

Mr Mojo Risin
06-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Surely the time has come to lift the ban on televising games on Saturday at 3pm? I doubt that it would affect attendances anymore and there is so much demand for it. The clubs would get more exposure and money, Sky/BT could televise more games and fans who can't make the game can watch it on TV. Everyone would win.

Dorking .Eagle
07-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Friday and Monday night away games are an utter pain (unless local), Saturday night is preferable to either.

Don't think the UK viewing figures would be very high, in too many households Strictly or the X Factor would be chosen rather than football

WLYWLYAWYPWF
07-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Don't think the UK viewing figures would be very high, in too many households Strictly or the X Factor would be chosen rather than football

Even if there wasn't football on I'd object to that shit being on the TV. :D

eagles #1
07-09-2017, 06:45 PM
I like Friday evening kick offs myself, but on the proviso that 1) it is against Charlton, 2) it is away, 3) I have the day off work to get on the rice and have a piss up around London Bridge, 4) we have Pyro in the away end and, preferably but not essential, 5) KG volleys in just before half time.

The atmosphere in the away end that night was something else. The state of some of our fans that evening was a sight to behold though!

That was a top night. The mob leaving the Barrowboy and Banker in London Bridge was huge.

Felt like a constant stream of pyro that night :p

IL47U4rZj_k

njUyUowWKEA

Ah, those were the days..

baughurst eagle
07-09-2017, 07:16 PM
as there is so much shite on the tv Saturday nights its got to be a bonus !!!

Mad Raschic Ken
07-09-2017, 08:04 PM
No problem with a Saturday evening game in my opinion. Much better than games on any other day of the week or Saturday lunchtime.

lee_cpfc
07-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Get rid of lunchtime kick offs and Monday evenings and then anything goes as far as I'm concerned

PeterH
07-09-2017, 08:34 PM

LOL