PDA

View Full Version : Better than last season?

southwesteagle
07-09-2017, 09:52 AM
If we revert back to a back four has the summer transfer window resulted in us being a better team?

Kirby
07-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Starting 11, yes.

Squad, no.

Penstone Eagle
07-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Starting 11, yes.

Squad, no.

This.

Was hoping/ expecting a better bench this season.

Hector
07-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Yes but not by much. Loftus-Cheek is an upgrade and probably TFM is as well but that's it. The team just avoid relegation last year so it'll be no surprise to see us in another fight.

st albans
07-09-2017, 11:04 AM
also, sakho for longer

GreatGonzo
07-09-2017, 11:40 AM
If we revert back to a back four has the summer transfer window resulted in us being a better team?

Compared to what?

September 2016?
February 2016?

Chris K
07-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Yes but not by much. Loftus-Cheek is an upgrade and probably TFM is as well but that's it. The team just avoid relegation last year so it'll be no surprise to see us in another fight.

Not neccessarily, I think we massively underperformed last year

Windsor_Eagle
07-09-2017, 12:19 PM
OK - let's consider what the team / squad looks like with everyone fit.

(My) Starting XI

Hennessey
TFM
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Cabaye
Luka
Townsend
RLC
Wilf
Benteke

Bench / rotation options

Speroni
Ward
Tomkins
Jairo
Kelly
Damo
Schlupp
Souare
Punch
Sako
Lee
Wickham

Youngsters / Fringe

Lokilo
KaiKai
Dreher
Ladapo
Mutch

With the exceptions of a better keeper and cover for Benteke before Wickham is back, I don't think it is as shabby as everyone makes out.

BuffotheEagle
07-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Given we seem incapable of keeping anyone fit. I would say we are weaker, I think it's scary how short we are in various places, Benteke gets injured and our season is over, plus if Wilf is going to continue to be targeted and starts getting knocks which is quite likely, we lose our only real attacking impetus.

Gregz41
07-09-2017, 12:29 PM
I was thinking about this now that a week has passed since the transfer window has shut.

I'd echo sentiments that the starting XI when fit has improved. The majority of people would like to see us line up 433 or a variant in 4231.

Approximation of preferred match squad after January
16/17:

-------------------Hennessey------------------
Ward-------Tomkins------Sakho-------Van Aanholt
---------Cabaye----Milivojevic--Puncheon---------
Townsend--------------------------------------Zaha
--------------------Benteke--------------------------

Bench:
Speroni, Lee, Campbell, Mcarthur, Schlupp, Kelly, Dann

Sako and Remy were omitted, but probably would have been included if they actually managed to get fit.

Preferred match day squad 17/18:

-------------------------Hennessey-------------------------
Fosu-Mensah-----Dann-----------Sakho-----------Schlupp
-----------Cabaye---Milivojevic--Loftus-Cheek-------------
Townsend----------------------------------------------Zaha
--------------------------Benteke----------------------------

Bench:
Speroni, Tomkins, Van Aanholt, Puncheon, Sako, Mcarthur, Ladapo

Positives:
- Sakho back permenantly
- Fosu-Mensah is an upgrade on Ward. He provides more ability on the ball and has great pace
- Loftus-Cheek looks like a fantastic signing. He provides pace and drive from central areas

Negatives:
- GK wasn't upgraded which should have been a priority
- Allocated too many defenders in the 25 man squad for a back four
- Firepower off the bench. Admittedly, Remy and Campbell contributed very little last season, but to only have Ladapo fit at the moment is underwhelming should we go behind in games
- Backup for Zaha/Townsend. Lee is tidy but rarely makes match changing moments. Sako has a great shot, but the rest of his game is limited and often injured. Kaikai and Lokilo are untested at this level.

smoll
07-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Given we seem incapable of keeping anyone fit. I would say we are weaker, I think it's scary how short we are in various places, Benteke gets injured and our season is over, plus if Wilf is going to continue to be targeted and starts getting knocks which is quite likely, we lose our only real attacking impetus.
Spot on

Mr Palace
07-09-2017, 07:31 PM
I think the problem is that the two most important areas of the pitch have been weakened.

Billy Rhino
07-09-2017, 07:58 PM
I think the problem is that the two most important areas of the pitch have been weakened.

Where? :confused: it's no different to last season other than Cabaye not starting games yet.

OP has a good point here in that our first team is better than last season. All we need is for FDB to get the best out of them, and get Wilf back of course.

smoll
07-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Where? :confused: it's no different to last season other than Cabaye not starting games yet.

OP has a good point here in that our first team is better than last season. All we need is for FDB to get the best out of them, and get Wilf back of course.
We have 1 fit striker and the worst keeper in the league you twat.

PeterH
07-09-2017, 08:06 PM
also, sakho for longer

we hope...

PeterH
07-09-2017, 08:08 PM

Why call him a twat?

Maidstoned Eagle
07-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Why call him a twat?

He called me a prick the other day, maybe genitalia is his thing?

Mr Palace
07-09-2017, 08:53 PM

Well, we have one striker whereas last season we had Campbell and a fit wickham (for some of it at least). We also had remy though he added little.

In goal we had Mandanda as well - not a major difference but we had three keepers and now we have two.

The squad is no better or worse. We've added some young defenders and Loftus Cheek. It's been a very poor summer transfer wise.

GorBlimey
07-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Well, we have one striker whereas last season we had Campbell and a fit wickham (for some of it at least). We also had remy though he added little.

In goal we had Mandanda as well - not a major difference but we had three keepers and now we have two.

The squad is no better or worse. We've added some young defenders and Loftus Cheek. It's been a very poor summer transfer wise.

Every time Fraizer Campbell played he was called shit on here and it was suggested we got rid of him.

Well we have - we just couldn't secure a replacement.

eagle-leg
07-09-2017, 09:48 PM
OK - let's consider what the team / squad looks like with everyone fit.

(My) Starting XI

Hennessey
TFM
Dann
Sakho
PvA
Cabaye
Luka
Townsend
RLC
Wilf
Benteke

Bench / rotation options

Speroni
Ward
Tomkins
Jairo
Kelly
Damo
Schlupp
Souare
Punch
Sako
Lee
Wickham

Youngsters / Fringe

Lokilo
KaiKai
Dreher
Ladapo
Mutch

With the exceptions of a better keeper and cover for Benteke before Wickham is back, I don't think it is as shabby as everyone makes out.

You have missed out Mcarthur

Looking at the bench options, there are far too many defenders

If we are to revert to a back 4, there might be value in using Riedewald as a midfielder if he can play there.

aj4england
07-09-2017, 09:56 PM

And a manager who is currently less capable than Sam

GorBlimey
07-09-2017, 09:58 PM

How many titles did BFS win?

Mr Palace
07-09-2017, 10:04 PM
Are you counting Dutch titles?

Two words for you: Steve McClaren.

ebyeeckeagle
07-09-2017, 10:05 PM
How many titles did BFS win?

Not sure some Dutch titles mean much.

The issue is FDB has had no time (nor great financial support as yet) to prove himself. I suppose its the price of modern football.

Yet I fall a little in the same camp. I just doubt if he is able to adjust. Yet how can I really make that call on just 3 games! Sigh.

Mr Palace
07-09-2017, 10:05 PM
Every time Fraizer Campbell played he was called shit on here and it was suggested we got rid of him.

Well we have - we just couldn't secure a replacement.

Err, we have one fit striker. I'd say that was a pretty bad situation to be in. Campbell wasn't a particularly good player but he was better than nothing. Who do we play if Benteke gets injured? That would be no one.

Simple&Stupid
07-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Are you counting Dutch titles?

Two words for you: Steve McClaren.

Two words for you: Ronald Koeman. Never managed a Dutch title.

Mr Palace
07-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Two words for you: Ronald Koeman. Never managed a Dutch title.

And?

I should say that I'm not in the de Boer out camp at all but I find it ridiculous that gorblimey implies de Boer is a better manager than Allardyce because the latter never won a league title.

Simple&Stupid
07-09-2017, 10:25 PM
And?

I should say that I'm not in the de Boer out camp at all but I find it ridiculous that gorblimey implies de Boer is a better manager than Allardyce because the latter never won a league title.

Gorblimey can, and does, speak for himself. You implied Dutch titles were second rate, easily achieved.

Billy Rhino
07-09-2017, 10:29 PM

Neither Campbell or Mamdanda were first team players in the end and were not very good in most games they played. If we had kept them would our squad be better now than last season?

Billy Rhino
07-09-2017, 10:34 PM

Unfortunately you are correct. The manager is always the key component to a successful team and ultimately makes all the difference. The op's point though was do we have a better team and technically we do. As I said, if FdB can get the best out of them we should be fine. Big if of course.

Billy Rhino
07-09-2017, 10:35 PM

Right, go upstairs and wash your mouth out with soap you naughty boy. And no supper for you!

Billy Rhino
07-09-2017, 10:37 PM
Or alternatively go and post on Twitter with all the other mongs

markydonn
07-09-2017, 11:03 PM
Much better squad, why people moaning, bought a French international defender as well as defender Holland international as well 2 loaned players from united and Chelsea, 10 years ago could you imagine that! Get a bloody grip for gods sake

GorBlimey
07-09-2017, 11:06 PM
And?

He simply is.

BFS hasn't accomplished much in his career yet achieved the ultimate job in English football because no-one else would take the poisoned chalice that it is. Even then, his innate greed managed to screw it up.

Palace gave him a second chance to re-build his reputation but he decided to jack it all in after six months.

He was a clogging lump as a player too.

PeterH
08-09-2017, 12:26 AM
I think it depends on how long term the injuries are before we can judge.

Wickham, Sakho, even Zaha. Add an older Cabaye and Macarther seemingly on the treatment table a lot, and Tomkins coming back.

Too short of cover to be better than last season.

PeterH
08-09-2017, 12:31 AM
He called me a prick the other day, maybe genitalia is his thing?

It's a strange posting technique on a reasonable discussion thread, that's for sure.

I wonder whether he uses the same style in the pub - pre and post Palace.

Person A: I hope Speroni plays instead of Hen today.

smoll: Twat!

Person A: I wonder whether FdeB will play 3 or 4 at the back in today's game.

smoll: Prick!

Tourettes?