PDA

View Full Version : Press Conference Live: Pre-Burnley Friday 1:30pm

Pages : [1] 2

EddieEdwards
08-09-2017, 06:40 AM
https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2017/september/press-conference-on-friday/

bradpitt
08-09-2017, 08:20 AM
Is it really that difficult to stream them live?

Kirby
08-09-2017, 08:33 AM

They managed it (occasionally) last season so God knows what's happened this year.

Maybe the camera couldn't take any more of BFS/FDB's monotone performances and chose death instead.

andyocpfc
08-09-2017, 08:39 AM
I've given up on watching it live and prefer to listen now once the video has been uploaded on the eagles site.

ForestGateEagle
08-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Given the inane level of questioning at these events, it'll probably be mainly about FdB's views on the Wayne Rooney DUI arrest, anyway.

Shipp Ahoy!
08-09-2017, 08:48 AM
You're seriously surprised we aren't streaming this? :D

... and I'm not talking about our level of technical (in)competency!

MFBias
08-09-2017, 08:51 AM
This is probably the must eagerly awaited press conference ever.

Martin H
08-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Given the inane level of questioning at these events, it'll probably be mainly about FdB's views on the Wayne Rooney DUI arrest, anyway.

No it will be a bunch of provocative, unreasonable inane questions that deserve a slap. They smell blood and tend to try to finish them off don't they? Suspect that they will try to ask him if he is happy with transfer business SP did and crowbar that open.

Wouldn't be totally surprised if FDB dodged this one and let someone else do it.

TheCharmer1
08-09-2017, 08:55 AM

no its not

BillyTKid
08-09-2017, 08:59 AM
I hope they ask him about our transfer business. How does he rate it? How much influence did he have and was Sakho a signing he pushed for? Won't happen though.

gold76
08-09-2017, 09:04 AM
Not trolling, but when did pre match press conferences become a thing?

Its sky nonsense really isn't it..

There was never any of this in the Mullery or Coppell days

When we were struggling in 81, I doubt whether the fanbase would give 2 ****s about listening to Dario

I just want to see the boys get on the pitch on Sunday and do their job with the minimum of fuss

Martin H
08-09-2017, 09:44 AM
Not trolling, but when did pre match press conferences become a thing?

Its sky nonsense really isn't it..

There was never any of this in the Mullery or Coppell days

When we were struggling in 81, I doubt whether the fanbase would give 2 ****s about listening to Dario

I just want to see the boys get on the pitch on Sunday and do their job with the minimum of fuss

It's a PL requirement isn't it, presumably for PR purposes. Not sure if Sky started it or not but can't see it going away now.

meee
08-09-2017, 10:01 AM

You have just passed the job interview of every tabloid in the country.

whereEaglesFly
08-09-2017, 10:26 AM
Scenes when Freedman walks out

Penstone Eagle
08-09-2017, 10:50 AM
This is probably the must eagerly awaited press conference ever.

Lol

Zulu84
08-09-2017, 10:53 AM
no its not

Yea, not even a little bit.

SilentAssassin
08-09-2017, 11:23 AM
This is Franks Mike Bassett moment.

v7hEqCdAwjs

tbooker
08-09-2017, 11:44 AM
I'd prefer Mike Basset. Shows some passion whilst not wearing white chinos which must be a bonus.

MFBias
08-09-2017, 12:07 PM
'Crystal Palace will play 3....4....fookin' 3'

Then walks out...

adman50
08-09-2017, 12:11 PM
If you're old enough, you're good enough!

adman50
08-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Maybe we've signed Benson and Hedges on free transfers!

regal_eagle
08-09-2017, 12:20 PM
Maybe we've signed Benson and Hedges on free transfers!

They'll have to play in plain clothes covered in health warnings though.

Personally I'd rather go for Riz LaCrosse and Bako.

heath_eagle
08-09-2017, 12:21 PM
I have pre-warned the Samaritans in case FDB announces he will play 3 at the back.

regal_eagle
08-09-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm quite looking forward to this. Classic Palace stuff: backs against the wall, coming out fighting, winning against the odds and getting everyone on side.

Well, at least that's what I'M hoping for. Go on Frankie Boy, get stuck in.

On your marksch...

Ralph
08-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Best outcome is that he comes out, holds his hands up, admits some tactical mistakes and has been working solidly with the players to identify their strengths and give them their belief and confidence in whatever system they all agree will work against Burnley.

And to have Sahko, RLC and Zaha in contention.

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:28 PM
http://www.football.london/incoming/article13590029.ece/ALTERNATES/s510b/DIESd1tXUAAoAi8-1.jpg

Shipp Ahoy!
08-09-2017, 12:29 PM
I have pre-warned the Samaritans in case FDB announces he will play 3 at the back.

More like the job centre...

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Almost everybody is getting fit. Only Connor Wickham and Zaha still injured.
Sakho is fit but not game fit but he’s looking good, working very hard. Will probably play on Monday in the U23s.
The rest we have to wait for tomorrow like Loftus-Cheek, Tomkins, Kaikai, hopefully all available for Sunday.

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:33 PM
on Mama Sakho
Hes looking good. He is very eager to come here and he’s already a very good influence on the pitch and dressing room.
I’m very delighted he is here and you can already see his impact with his positivity.

wedgetail
08-09-2017, 12:34 PM
More like the job centre...

Amsterdam office.

Shipp Ahoy!
08-09-2017, 12:34 PM
Blimey so Sako is fit?

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:35 PM
On deadline day
Frank is asked about the window closing potentially before the start of the season
You can see both sides. As a manager from day one when you start pre-season and the whole squad is there it’s the ideal situation.
You can build up to where you want to go.
If you have injuries it can help of course.
But if a big club signs one of your better players that can be a problem.

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Frank on the Parish quotes
Frank is asked about Steve Parish’s quotes on the start “not being great”..
I have always had serious conversations with Steve, one day in the week we come together and talk about what’s going on.
I’m not so concerned about it, we have a very good relationship. We know this is not a one day project, it’s long term.
You cannot expect to win every game, it’s a work in progress still. I’m 30 years in pro football, sometimes it takes more time.
I have a positive feeling about it, training has been good.

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:40 PM
‘Do you deserve time?’, someone asks Frank.
It always takes time.
Everybody wants the points but you also have to know what it going on here. We think we are going it the right way, Steve knows that, the board knows that.
The problem is everyone thinks I only play one way. They say I play 3-4-3, but the players I have added to the squad are normally defenders, so you could say it’s 5-3-2.
We looked very carefully to our squad and in our point of view this is the best for the team. Wilf playing more up front than he normally does.
It was legitimate to play this system. We can play directly also, which is different to what I normally play, and that’s down to the quality we have in the team, not that different to before.

Hitchin Eagle
08-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Frank is asked about Steve Parishís quotes on the start ďnot being greatĒ..
I have always had serious conversations with Steve, one day in the week we come together and talk about whatís going on.
Iím not so concerned about it, we have a very good relationship. We know this is not a one day project, itís long term.
You cannot expect to win every game, itís a work in progress still. Iím 30 years in pro football, sometimes it takes more time.
I have a positive feeling about it, training has been good.

Is that complacency or putting a brave face on things or somewhere in between?

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:41 PM
Frank on needing to win at Burnley
No, I spoke to Steve and we know what we are going to do.
Everybody wants results, I want results, and to see performances.
At Ajax I didn’t talk about champions, I spoke about how we are going to play and doing things the right way.
It’s the same here, every game we want points, but we have to look at performances.
If we keep doing what we are doing results will come I am sure of it.

Ralph
08-09-2017, 12:41 PM
ĎDo you deserve time?í, someone asks Frank.
It always takes time.
Everybody wants the points but you also have to know what it going on here. We think we are going it the right way, Steve knows that, the board knows that.
The problem is everyone thinks I only play one way. They say I play 3-4-3, but the players I have added to the squad are normally defenders, so you could say itís 5-3-2.
We looked very carefully to our squad and in our point of view this is the best for the team. Wilf playing more up front than he normally does.
It was legitimate to play this system. We can play directly also, which is different to what I normally play, and thatís down to the quality we have in the team, not that different to before.

Sack him.

:supergrin:

WLYWLYAWYPWF
08-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Well this is boring. Was hoping it would be proper spiky with a walk out.

Excowboy
"If we keep doing what we are doing results will come I am sure of it."

Oh God

Hitchin Eagle
It always takes time.
The problem is everyone thinks I only play one way. They say I play 3-4-3, but the players I have added to the squad are normally defenders, so you could say itís 5-3-2.
It was legitimate to play this system. We can play directly also, which is different to what I normally play, and thatís down to the quality we have in the team, not that different to before.

Complacency.

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Frank is asked if he has been surprised by the PL
I know how it works. I have good staff here with experience of working in it.
I am not surprised. I am very privileged to be here, the greatest league in the world but not surprised.
We know every game is tough and that’s why we have to work very hard.
Of course [we need to get something from next few games]. We need confidence.
If we are working together then we can make every team feel difficult.

Windsor_Eagle
Blimey so Sako is fit?

Yes. I said as much in and amongst the sea of hysterical bullshit on 1st September.

Marksf
Yes. I said as much in and amongst the sea of hysterical bullshit on 1st September.

Sako, not Sakho.

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:44 PM
How have you handled speculation on your future Frank?
I am always aware there is speculation as a manager. I have played at clubs where pressure is always high when you don’t get results.
I always try not to get involved in emotional things, just concentrate on things you really can have an effect on; training with the players and trying to change things soon.
I always look at the glass half full, if I leave I want to leave through the front door not the back door. They can always say afterwards he did everything he could, always 100%. I will do that.

Hitchin Eagle
08-09-2017, 12:45 PM
On SSN after ads.

Windsor_Eagle
Sako, not Sakho.

:D

Oh, Fair play.

As you were.

Ralph
"If we keep doing what we are doing results will come I am sure of it."

Oh God

Maybe he's being cute and leading Burnley into a false sense of security. Dyche might be listening and will let his players have the day off and treat them to a night out before thinking it'll be a walk in the park.

cdm61
I always do it my end cos in the end I am responsible.
If someone else tells you how to do things that’s not a healthy situation.
I am not naive I just look at the quality of my squad.
The quality of Arsenal is higher than Palace, but we can compete with a lot of energy and the right system to do that.

Marksf
08-09-2017, 12:46 PM

Oh, Fair play.

As you were.

:p

**** me Sako is fit :supergrin:

exiledeagle
08-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Did anyone ask about no cover for Benteke , keeper , winger ?

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:47 PM
Frank on next steps
Points are very important for confidence.
I’ve played games and thought ‘how can I lose this game cos the performance was fantastic’.
If we continue playing the way we want the points will follow.
Points will help, goals will help to get confidence back.
What I’ve seen in training I think the players have a lot of confidence to get a result.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
08-09-2017, 12:48 PM
On SSN after ads.

Like seeing him say it will be any different to reading it in a monotone style as I already have. :D

art malice
08-09-2017, 12:48 PM
'I always look at the glass half full, if I leave I want to leave through the front door not the back door.'

Not sure there is a back door is there? Maybe at the training ground. But then he'll end up on the wicket at Kent County Cricket club.

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:49 PM
How much time will it take Frank?
Normally you have 10 games to think ‘this is the way we like to play’.
We only had four pre-season games, three PL games and one cup game. We still are are 7 or 8 games.
I think still we can improve a lot in how we want to play.
When you analyse the three games we lost, we had a good performance against Liverpool. We didn’t give many chances away.
Swansea had two and a half shots on goal, we had eight or nine.
The points were negative but there were some positive things I am focusing on.
The stupid mistakes we have to get rid of, but I am convinced every week we are getting better.

orp pisshead1
08-09-2017, 12:50 PM
You have just passed the job interview of every tabloid in the country.

cdm61
Frank on Burnley
Burnley are tough, they win second balls, they have options.
They are doing very well but we have a good opportunity to get a result if we concentrate.

Shipp Ahoy!
So we have another 3 games of crap before he thinks about changing? Or he gets sacked of course...

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Will you change if it isn’t working?
Of course, we always analyse the performance. When the results are disappointing we are trying to turn it around.
Whether it’s 5-3- or 3-4-3 or 4-3-3- at the end of the day the players have to execute it.
I am convinced whatever system we play on Sunday the players will understand how we want to play.

Thefunkymonk
08-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Doesn't sound like he's willing to be flexible

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Frank on Souare's recovery
He was out for a long time but still I have to give compliment to him and the medical staff.
It was a terrible accident but now if you see him running and playing you don’t see anything [like that].
He can be a very good player for us. He played 70 minutes in the U23s, he needs a few more 90 minutes then he can come back into the team.
I am very happy for him. He’s very close, he’s already training with the first team squad but you don’t want to rush things

eagle-leg
08-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Been following Jim Daly's updates at

http://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/de-boer-palace-press-conference-13589965

Frank is either putting a brave face on things, or he's deluded.

My concern is the latter.

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Frank on Burnley again
They are organised. They know their plan.
They don’t make it difficult for themselves.
They had a great result against Chelsea.
They are looking very good, a very hard team to beat, we saw that last season too.
But still I think we have a good opportunity to get a result.

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:54 PM

http://www.football.london/crystal-palace-fc/de-boer-palace-press-conference-13589965

That's what I've been posting

eagle-leg
08-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Doesn't sound like he's willing to be flexible

Nope... my way or the highway.

See ya Franky!

cp eagles
08-09-2017, 12:55 PM
No mention on who this free agent could be?

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Frank literally quotes Rocky Horror
I always stick to my own principles.
I talk to everyone from chairman to kit man to the players.
Especially people around this place because they have been in the situation.
That’s why we speak to those people. Still we have a plan and it’s not that you are going to make a 360 degrees plan and go the other way.
Maybe a small step to the left and small step to the right.

glenn.f
08-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Cue more tears from our patient support.....3,2,1 go

Hitchin Eagle
08-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Frank on next steps
Points are very important for confidence.
Iíve played games and thought Ďhow can I lose this game cos the performance was fantasticí.
If we continue playing the way we want the points will follow.
Points will help, goals will help to get confidence back.
What Iíve seen in training I think the players have a lot of confidence to get a result.

Have we started playing the way we want? If we continue playing the way we have been we will be relegated.

cdm61
08-09-2017, 12:57 PM
There you go then incremental small step change....lets see on Sunday

eagle-leg
08-09-2017, 12:57 PM
That's what I've been posting

He'll probably want some kind of credit then.

jimmy the gent
08-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Frank on Burnley again
They are organised. They know their plan.
They donít make it difficult for themselves.
They had a great result against Chelsea.
They are looking very good, a very hard team to beat, we saw that last season too.

The exact opposite of us then.

jimmy the gent
08-09-2017, 12:59 PM
No mention on who this free agent could be?

Dougie Freedman.

Riley
Easy to pick apart every word, especially for those who have already made their minds up, but I don't see how his remarks could cause much consternation?

Not sure what people want him to come out with.

jackstacks
We looked very carefully to our squad and in our point of view this is the best for the team. [/QUOTE]

This is the telling point. If he and his team have concluded playing three at the back suits the squad, he is wrong and will need to move on.

art malice
08-09-2017, 01:00 PM
'Maybe a small step to the left and small step to the right.'

Is this about Hennessey?

cdm61
08-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Have we started playing the way we want? If we continue playing the way we have been we will be relegated.

I guess he means we haven't been playing the way he wants - hence the defeats - I think you have to give some leeway for interpretation through his translation into English

Ralph
08-09-2017, 01:01 PM

Is this about Hennessey?

:lux:

jimmy the gent
08-09-2017, 01:02 PM
Easy to pick apart every word, especially for those who have already made their minds up, but I don't see how his remarks could cause much consternation?

Something along the lines with "perhaps i've been a little over ambitious too early, what we have to do now is look at the group and work on a shape and style that will get us points on the board. I have a three year contract and there is plenty of time for a gradual change in the playing style, maybe we need to go back to basics a bit, and that's something we will have to look at in the coming months."

jimmy the gent
08-09-2017, 01:03 PM
We looked very carefully to our squad and in our point of view this is the best for the team.

This is the telling point. If he and his team have concluded playing three at the back suits the squad, he is wrong and will need to move on.[/QUOTE]

This 100%.

adrenalin john
08-09-2017, 01:03 PM

Is this about Hennessey?

Very good.:D

Did he also say I am flapping a bit but won't go down.

WLYWLYAWYPWF
08-09-2017, 01:04 PM
We looked very carefully to our squad and in our point of view this is the best for the team.

This is the telling point. If he and his team have concluded playing three at the back suits the squad, he is wrong and will need to move on.[/QUOTE]

May as well book his flight from Manchester to Amsterdam.

Uswortheagle
08-09-2017, 01:05 PM
Did anyone ask about no cover for Benteke , keeper , winger ?

Are you really expecting questions that we would ask - shock horror

exiledeagle
08-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Like any other Manager we have had recently , without Zaha we will struggle ( well actually exclude Pulis )

Hitchin Eagle
08-09-2017, 01:07 PM

I haven't made my mind up but I'm looking for something to hang some optimism on and haven't seen anything.

TheCharmer1
08-09-2017, 01:11 PM
This is the telling point. If he and his team have concluded playing three at the back suits the squad, he is wrong and will need to move on.

This 100%.[/QUOTE]

He didnt say that though did he

bubbs11
08-09-2017, 01:11 PM
De Boer: When you analyse the three games we lost, we had a good performance against Liverpool. We didn’t give many chances away.

:sob: They had 13 shots on target!

Windsor_Eagle
08-09-2017, 01:15 PM

Quite.

Windsor_Eagle
08-09-2017, 01:16 PM

In fairness, quite a few of them were speculative.

ExiledStirling
08-09-2017, 01:17 PM
We will find out Sunday lunchtime if he is deluded or not.

However he is coming across more like Pardew than Allardyce, so I am still worried.

Stellavista
Why don't these journalists ask the question:'Why only one striker?'.

TAK
Speculate to accumulate.

mylona
08-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Nope... my way or the highway.

See ya Franky!

Yay, reminds me of Bogart's speech in the Caine Mutiny there are 4 ways of doing things, the wrong way, the right way, the navy way and my way and on this ship it's my way.

Chris K
08-09-2017, 01:18 PM

Most came after they scored, if it wasn't for Luka and also Benteke's miss we may have come away with a point

Yep

Maidstoned Eagle
08-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Speculate to accumulate.

OI! Iīm messaging you to make sure you havenīt been tsunamied and here you are posting bon mots on the BBS!

alanlee11
08-09-2017, 01:26 PM

Haha Jim Daly gets accreditation for press conferences.

glaziers fan
08-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Is Zaha close to being fit? Any updates from the presser on Wilf?

Yogya
08-09-2017, 01:38 PM
I haven't made my mind up but I'm looking for something to hang some optimism on and haven't seen anything.

Best way. When you get optimism at Palace we lose. Better to feel depressed after say the press conference and convince yourself we will never win again. That way the only surprise will be a positive one

Yogya
08-09-2017, 01:41 PM
Is Zaha close to being fit? Any updates from the presser on Wilf?

Croydon Advertiser saying still out, along with Wickham

Hector
08-09-2017, 01:43 PM
It always takes time.

sh** he's going to play 3 at the back or am I panicking:eek:

sylvan eagle
08-09-2017, 01:48 PM

Does that mean sakho's fit

JackTheBiscuit
08-09-2017, 01:48 PM

Is this about Hennessey?

:supergrin::supergrin:

switchboard
08-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Do we have the usual twitter feed update for those that boycott Jim 'Chamakh for good' Daley?

glaziers fan
08-09-2017, 01:53 PM

Out for 1-2 weeks according to Maidstoned Eagle.

rambo1
08-09-2017, 01:53 PM
sh** he's going to play 3 at the back or am I panicking:eek:

Frank De Boer,said the Same as Me,with the Right Players.
The Formation can change from 3:4:3,to 4:3:3 or 5:3:2,without changing the Personnel.
Mamadou Sakho,should be Involved & a Crucial Inclusion.

ExiledStirling
08-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Mamadou Sakho,should be Involved & a Crucial Inclusion.
FDB has said he is not match fit so will not be playing. He is playing in an U23 on Monday

Tomo
08-09-2017, 02:02 PM
Meh.
Even more deluded than Pardew.
Response to 3-5-2 is 5-3-2.
Thinks Zaha is better more centrally.
Thinks the way we are playing will get results eventually.

Nah.

BringbackShipps
08-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Meh.

Nah.

Wanted him to do well, but based on that...TAXI.

glaziers fan
08-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Meh.

Nah.

When did he say that?

CPFC31
08-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Would sack now and give the Burnley game to Freedman.

ScottHooky
08-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Would sack now and give the Burnley game to Freedman.

Memories of the Doog's hat-trick up there in 37C heat :lux:

eagle-leg
08-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Yay, reminds me of Bogart's speech in the Caine Mutiny there are 4 ways of doing things, the wrong way, the right way, the navy way and my way and on this ship it's my way.

Agreed, he's essentially said - If I'm getting sacked, I'm at least going to get sacked playing the way I want. Oh and p.s.. I'm not resigning - if you want me out you'll have to sack me. Pay up.

Im a bit concerned that this game will essentially go to waste over 'compensation terms'.

My money is that De Boer will be gone on Monday.

alf
08-09-2017, 02:20 PM
In fairness, quite a few of them were speculative.

Possibly we should be more speculative in our shooting :)

Danny boy
08-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Some worrying quotes today.

Surely he can't be that deluded :eek:

regal_eagle
08-09-2017, 02:22 PM
It's all a smokescreen. He's gonna play 4 at the back. I hope.

BringbackShipps
08-09-2017, 02:30 PM

:clown:

ExiledStirling
08-09-2017, 02:36 PM
It's all a smokescreen. He's gonna play 4 at the back. I hope.
Every chance. He said that he was playing 3-4-3 v Liverpool but didnt.

Just have to hope that whatever tactics he adopts, he plays to the players strengths and they all understand and make sense of exactly how he wants it executed.

GB2506
08-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Meh.

Nah.

This for me is the most worrying point.

Zaha is one of the best players in this country 1 on 1 with a full back who 9 times out of 10 he will beat. Get him out wide were he was superb for us last season.

mylona
08-09-2017, 02:41 PM
Every chance. He said that he was playing 3-4-3 v Liverpool but didnt.

Just have to hope that whatever tactics he adopts, he plays to the players strengths and they all understand and make sense of exactly how he wants it executed.

I see Frank as a plumber who's putting some radiators in my house. The first radiator was undersized and didn't heat the room. The second radiator leaked. The third radiator fell off the wall. Now do I think he's sorted it and is OK to install the fourth radiator?

Martin H
08-09-2017, 02:41 PM

Zaha is one of the best players in this country 1 on 1 with a full back who 9 times out of 10 he will beat. Get him out wide were he was superb for us last season.

But out wide it's also easy to put 3 men onto him. I would genuinely keep an open mind on this because I really do think there is a good chance he is right. Wilf's ability to turn either way and beat a man, going wide or at goal should pay dividends. He needs to get some composure on his shooting. It' doesn't stop him drifting wide anyway. Whoever is the manager, I would like to see Wilf in this slot.

Green Bin
08-09-2017, 02:51 PM

Where did he score his goals from?

Remember Chelsea away was basically Benteke and Zaha as a front two

917L
08-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Memories of the Doog's hat-trick up there in 37C heat :lux:

Great day out that, 9 man come back win with a perfect hat trick

Mictor Voses
08-09-2017, 02:59 PM

I think he can be. Even Parish thinks he's hopeless he just hasn't found a replacement yet.

glaziers fan
08-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Where did he score his goals from?

Remember Chelsea away was basically Benteke and Zaha as a front two

Absolutely. I want goals from him, not just beating full backs 10 times in a game for no benefit. He's a poor crosser, but he can finish well off both feet. Get him closer to Benteke, reduce his workload, and let him press from higher up the pitch.

The other positive you get from staying higher is a chance that he might close down a defender, and nick the ball off him. Instead of tracking back and winning the ball close to our penalty area, Wilf winning the ball on the edge of their area, 1-on-1 with a lumbering centre back will be a scary thought for their defenders to worry about.

glaziers fan
08-09-2017, 03:03 PM
But out wide it's also easy to put 3 men onto him. I would genuinely keep an open mind on this because I really do think there is a good chance he is right. Wilf's ability to turn either way and beat a man, going wide or at goal should pay dividends. He needs to get some composure on his shooting. It' doesn't stop him drifting wide anyway. Whoever is the manager, I would like to see Wilf in this slot.

Me too. And imho Zaha's shooting is vastly improved. Think he will score 10-15 goals for us this season.

palacemetros
08-09-2017, 03:07 PM
I see Frank as a plumber who's putting some radiators in my house. The first radiator was undersized and didn't heat the room. The second radiator leaked. The third radiator fell off the wall. Now do I think he's sorted it and is OK to install the fourth radiator?

The better analogy would be that you've asked a plumber to install your central heating and when he gets to your house, you tell him how you want him to do the work and give him a load of old rads to hang, using the existing 1950s back boiler. You then wonder why it doesn't work properly.

Penstone Eagle
08-09-2017, 03:08 PM
So everythings rosy between FdB and Parish

Lol

glaziers fan
08-09-2017, 03:08 PM

When the plumber came to install the second and third radiators they were out of stock of the radiator and brackets that he wanted to use, and so had to use an inferior brand. That radiator should be back in stock soon. I'd let him have a couple of practice runs with the inferior branded radiator, and install the fourth radiator in 1-2 weeks time.

Martin H
08-09-2017, 03:09 PM
Me too. And imho Zaha's shooting is vastly improved. Think he will score 10-15 goals for us this season.

TBF to you GF, I remember you suggesting we played him up front a long while back. I really wasn't convinced back then but he is a far better player today and better equipped for it now. He just need to nail his movement but that is difficult when is in a heap on the floor holding his knee after being clattered yet again. I think he could be quite special there. Bit gutted he got injured so soon,.

Green Bin
08-09-2017, 03:18 PM

If you insert " realised we had bugger all in the way of strikers" after the word 'squad' and it all makes a lot more sense!

No Zaha, No Wickham, Bakary Sako never fit (unless there's an AFCON place going) Campbell released and not replaced, Remy not replaced (I know he barely played, but he was nominally a striker), Puncheon not used as a forward in ages, Loliko only 18 and untried, KaiKai not really premiership quality, Jordan Mutch (so poor he was consigned to the U23's pre-season) RLC has been injured- is he really a striker, Ladapo...please!

glaziers fan
08-09-2017, 03:18 PM
TBF to you GF, I remember you suggesting we played him up front a long while back. I really wasn't convinced back then but he is a far better player today and better equipped for it now. He just need to nail his movement but that is difficult when is in a heap on the floor holding his knee after being clattered yet again. I think he could be quite special there. Bit gutted he got injured so soon,.

Thanks. I agree, and wish these referees would start protecting him a bit more.

Selhurst Celtic
08-09-2017, 03:19 PM

I think he'll score a million.

Green Bin
08-09-2017, 03:20 PM
I think he can be. Even Parish thinks he's hopeless he just hasn't found a replacement yet.

Well he's been struggling to find a new goalkeeper and a couple of strikers...so what's new?

glaziers fan
08-09-2017, 03:43 PM
And, finally, COYP

4 cryingOutloud
08-09-2017, 03:45 PM

So many clairvoyant's on this thread today, who can read other peoples minds. FFS give the bloke a chance. He's tried to explain himself and I have to wonder how most of you would get on doing that, especially if you had to do it in a foreign language with a bunch of know nothing parahna's dissecting your every word?

No, he's not made an impressive start, but unless we give him the opportunity to try, we will never get any better than we have been, and our historic record shows that hasn't been impressive at all. So what DO you want?

rbarmy
08-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Thought he came over quite well actually

cpfcben
08-09-2017, 03:50 PM
results determine everything. listening to that press conference was hugely depressing.

Martin H
08-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Not sure if many have had time to listen to the whole press conference on eagles site yet but it is worth a listen. But to set expectations, he isn't doing a song and dance routine or cracking jokes. He is in a foreign language answering carefully the questions asked by a bunch of journalists looking for a headline. In the situation we 'perceive' him to be in right now I would say it was quite an impressive performance and he made a lot of sense. I don't expect everyone to agree with him and I am sure a bunch will panic but he didn't sound like a Manager that doesn't listen or won't change but neither is he dumb enough to think you should stop something a couple of matches after starting.

I ended up being quite impressed because I don't think that would have been easy. Another thing he doesn't have right now is that journalist appeal. They really want someone who will keep them amused, feed them a headline or a story. Frank is just not that guy.

palacemetros
08-09-2017, 03:52 PM
results determine everything. listening to that press conference was hugely depressing.

Have a listen to an old Dalgleish presser. Bindippers won f*ck all under him.

alanlee11
08-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Not sure if many have had time to listen to the whole press conference on eagles site yet but it is worth a listen. But to set expectations, he isn't doing a song and dance routine or cracking jokes. He is in a foreign language answering carefully the questions asked by a bunch of journalists looking for a headline. In the situation we 'perceive' him to be in right now I would say it was quite an impressive performance and he made a lot of sense. I don't expect everyone to agree with him and I am sure a bunch will panic but he didn't sound like a Manager that doesn't listen or won't change but neither is he dumb enough to think you should stop something a couple of matches after starting.

I ended up being quite impressed because I don't think that would have been easy. Another thing he doesn't have right now is that journalist appeal. They really want someone who will keep them amused, feed them a headline or a story. Frank is just not that guy.

likewise. He's trying to do the job he was brought here to do, I feel sorry for him because during the last two weeks the press and social media users have gone to town making up reports and circulating them. The club have not backed him with a statement or with support for the squad (goalie, striker).

He did well today with handling the press. Hope he turns it around.

bubbs11
08-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Have a listen to an old Dalgleish presser. Bindippers won f*ck all under him.

Yep...3 league titles and 2 FA Cups.

CPFC.1990
08-09-2017, 04:01 PM

What did you expect after the dreadful way he has been treated since Swansea? No one at Palace is coming out of this looking good.

Lombardo's hair
08-09-2017, 04:13 PM

It's pointless....no pun intended trying to reason with some. 3 defeats is all they look at. I said before if they had their way Sam would have been gone after Sunderland. It's probably risky sticking by FDB but I think we should. We call for stability and 3 games or even 4 into a season and some want more upheaval. And if the next manager comes in and loses his first 3 which is probably likely in view of fixtures....do we sack him too or let him off because they were tough games?

Mictor Voses
08-09-2017, 04:17 PM
What did you expect after the dreadful way he has been treated since Swansea? No one at Palace is coming out of this looking good.

The man is meant to be a leader and should therefore be defiant in front of critics like Allardyce was in turn installing confidence in those around him. When we lost those games under Allardyce you had players and the owners still coming out and backing him therefore you should take note that this is not happening with De Boer. Not only is FDB apparently seeing things about his team that nobody nobody else in football sees, and in turn taking us down the wrong path, he is also the least inspiring and charasmatic person I have ever seen associated with this football club.

cpfcben
08-09-2017, 04:22 PM

some sign that he willing to change his ways. if I am bored listening to him god knows what it is like as a player

Lombardo's hair
08-09-2017, 04:25 PM
Yep...3 league titles and 2 FA Cups.

but he didn't win any awards for his press conferences did hr?
Doug bored me with his drive...it was always the same....we had a game plan.....ugh! Sam was very downbeat for most of his time here. I'd be more annoyed if FDB found our predicament amusing and worth joking about and slagged off the players and said we are doomed. FFS some people have no sense of balance when posting about FDB.

CPFC31
08-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Judging by the full press conference, it sounds like he is going for 3 at the Back at Burnley. 'We have a plan and are not going to make at 360 degree turn the other way'.

Lombardo's hair
08-09-2017, 04:28 PM
The man is meant to be a leader and should therefore be defiant in front of critics like Allardyce was in turn installing confidence in those around him. When we lost those games under Allardyce you had players and the owners still coming out and backing him therefore you should take note that this is not happening with De Boer. Not only is FDB apparently seeing things about his team that nobody nobody else in football sees, and in turn taking us down the wrong path, he is also the least inspiring and charasmatic person I have ever seen associated with this football club.

Have you ever heard a player come out and say the manager has to go. We don't back him. He's crap? Well?
Joel Ward backed FDB on talksport today.Had a chance to put knife in........didn't!

CPFC31
08-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Have you ever heard a player come out and say the manager has to go. We don't back him. He's crap? Well?
Joel Ward backed FDB on talksport today.Had a chance to put knife in........didn't!

Well, a player would very rarely come out and say that about their own manager would they :bash:

burgess hill 84
08-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Of course he didn't, his in the team every week, when we all know he should been dropped.

wrightchipvcfc
08-09-2017, 04:32 PM

Lol but other then that
Truth is we looked 2 nd best in all 3 games

Lombardo's hair
08-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Well, a player would very rarely come out and say that about their own manager would they :bash:

Which negates the point if the poster about Sam when we kept losing. Which was my point. Players support managers in public

James SG
08-09-2017, 04:37 PM

I'm with you on this one. Very composed and confident in what he is trying to deliver. Hope it does well for him on Sunday!

eagleali
08-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Frank is asked about Steve Parishís quotes on the start ďnot being greatĒ..
I have always had serious conversations with Steve, one day in the week we come together and talk about whatís going on.
Iím not so concerned about it, we have a very good relationship. We know this is not a one day project, itís long term.
You cannot expect to win every game, itís a work in progress still. Iím 30 years in pro football, sometimes it takes more time.
I have a positive feeling about it, training has been good.gone after sunday regardless of result.

henryhallandhisbasque
08-09-2017, 04:46 PM
I suppose Freedman's Palace return interview has been held over until he's gone, which is probably early next week if the Burnley game ends in defeat. If so, the shortest managerial reign since Kevin Cullis's at Swansea?

4 cryingOutloud
08-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Judging by the full press conference, it sounds like he is going for 3 at the Back at Burnley. 'We have a plan and are not going to make at 360 degree turn the other way'.

360 degrees is full circle and back to where you started, 180 would turn you around, and with regards to your "sounds like", I don't think he would give away how we would line up. An overactive brain-cell on your part.

4 cryingOutloud
08-09-2017, 04:49 PM
gone after sunday regardless of result.

Who you? TGFT.

bodger
08-09-2017, 04:52 PM
gone after sunday regardless of result.

So we win and play well and you think he gets sacked that would be mad. Sacking him would be mad even if we lose but with DF in the background it could happen.

Maidstoned Eagle
08-09-2017, 04:54 PM
The man is meant to be a leader and should therefore be defiant in front of critics like Allardyce was in turn installing confidence in those around him.

really?So the comments on BFS being (and Iīm paraphrasing here) "dour" "not up for it" "going through the motions" etc on every press conference thread didnīt happen?

CPFC.1990
08-09-2017, 04:56 PM

Steve Coppell was hardly the most upbeat person. Today's Palace fan would have said the exact same thing about Sir Steve.

CPFC.1990
08-09-2017, 04:56 PM
really?So the comments on BFS being (and Iīm paraphrasing here) "dour" "not up for it" "going through the motions" etc on every press conference thread didnīt happen?

CPFC.1990
08-09-2017, 04:57 PM
some sign that he willing to change his ways. if I am bored listening to him god knows what it is like as a player

Were you bored of Steve Coppell?

Martin H
08-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Steve Coppell was hardly the most upbeat person. Today's Palace fan would have said the exact same thing about Sir Steve.

I remember it well. Deeply depressing and that is when we had won :)

Penstone Eagle
08-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Let's face it FdB won't care about Palace going down. He'll stick to his ways pi**ing off players as he goes.

Riley
08-09-2017, 05:10 PM
I suppose Freedman's Palace return interview has been held over until he's gone, which is probably early next week if the Burnley game ends in defeat. If so, the shortest managerial reign since Kevin Cullis's at Swansea?

This is entirely made up of guesswork. You might as well have posted in papier mache.

4 cryingOutloud
Let's face it FdB won't care about Palace going down. He'll stick to his ways pi**ing off players as he goes.

Jesus wept! why don't you do yourself a favor and go top yourself, and take a couple of others with you.

CPFC.1990

What a strange thing to say.

Naboo
08-09-2017, 05:12 PM

Are you stupid?

You think this is helping his career?

He needs to do well here to further his career and build a reputation in England, ultimately to one day have a change of managing one of the bigger clubs in the country.

He messes this up, after the spell he had at Inter and no either club outside of Holland will give him a chance

palacemetros
08-09-2017, 05:16 PM

Yes of course. I see it now. He's an agent provocateur for Bloom. :wallbash:

DARZET EAGLE
08-09-2017, 05:18 PM

Are you a plumber? You seem to anticipate all the problems.:confused:

Eagle's Nest
08-09-2017, 05:18 PM

I suspect he's a little smarter than that. If he fails here he's unlikely to get another top level job.

mushroom
08-09-2017, 05:20 PM

It's unlike you to be negative.

Mictor Voses
08-09-2017, 05:28 PM

Coppell operated in an era when he was hardly ever in front of the cameras. De Boer is working for one of the most exposed clubs in the world so should at least show some passion. I thought he looked a beaten man in that press conference.

Riley
08-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Coppell operated in an era when he was hardly ever in front of the cameras. De Boer is working for one of the most exposed clubs in the world so should at least show some passion. I thought he looked a beaten man in that press conference.

Funny how people can see the same thing completely differently. I thought he handled himself well: with composure and with exactly the right amount of confidence.

I might be in the minority but I actually find him an interesting listen.

CPFC.1990
08-09-2017, 05:37 PM

But the poster said he wouldn't inspire confidence due to his charisma. Using that logic Coppell should have been a dreadful manager.

Kirby
08-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Thought he spoke well to be honest.

However, if we line up with three at the back on Sunday I'll happily slate him.

glenn.f
08-09-2017, 05:50 PM
Certainly didn't think it was as downbeat as some have made out. Tickles me that we have some complaining they were bored having watched it. Granted it wasn't gripping viewing, but short of entering with back flips, a bit of stand up, followed by a flounce out and v sign, it was never gonna be more than what it was. The guy deserves more backing than what he's getting from the entire fan base and board, because it the only way we'll really go forward.

Nth Kent Eagle
08-09-2017, 05:51 PM

How long was Dario O'Grady(sp) at Palace?

glaziers fan
08-09-2017, 05:53 PM

agreed.

SJ'sLoveMonkey
08-09-2017, 06:00 PM
Jesus wept! why don't you do yourself a favor and go top yourself, and take a couple of others with you.

:lux:

SJ'sLoveMonkey
08-09-2017, 06:02 PM

Good grief

exiledeagle
08-09-2017, 06:08 PM
I am not convinced about FDB but I thought he came across well in press conference - fingers crossed

Martin H
08-09-2017, 06:09 PM

Bit surprised that you say that. To me he looked exactly like he has in all of the others TBH and was composed in what was no doubt a pressured situation. In fact I would give him 10/10 for emotional control albeit that does freak a lot of people out I know. The room was packed apparently and they didn't all just come to wish him well did they? They were expecting blood in the water.

philsick
08-09-2017, 07:12 PM

You've completely lost the plot

PeterH
08-09-2017, 07:19 PM
He just need to nail his movement but that is difficult when is in a heap on the floor holding his knee after being clattered yet again. I think he could be quite special there. Bit gutted he got injured so soon,.

He might get fouled less in the middle, and refs might give more.

Wrightys Tooth
08-09-2017, 07:19 PM

I'm never on here, but sorry, I'm too angry to not comment .....
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha... to the simple, stupid blatant and lazy statement above.

Listen.... I drive back after every Home Match (ST) and a helluvalotta Away Matches with my buddy and Co..... We were/are not in a good place (in the car that is) ref this situation... (and f3ck... it is a REAL 'situation' Club-wise)
But come-the-shit on lads (& lasses)... ridiculous/ridiculous/ridiculous!!!!!!

There is no possible statement any more *****il we go down perhaps) quoting 'Palace' are just a small Club... ..... we are MASSIVE now!!!!
Yes, sounds odd, even to me... but we are PREM.
Let's not delude ourselves!!!!
WE........ NEED......... STABILITY.........
Please, please, please let's get behind OUR Manager, regardless of the chaos that exists at present :p

PS.... love you all #upthePalace
PPS... I am 106 years old

PeterH
08-09-2017, 07:20 PM

Bassett was by far the shortest time.

Chobham Eagle
08-09-2017, 07:26 PM

Dare I say that some might have described Steve Coppell as uncharasmatic?

I also think there is a language issue here. He may speak excellent English but it's still not his first language and he therefore has think more about the words he uses before actually saying them. Van Gaal - also Dutch - had much the same problem.

TheCharmer1
08-09-2017, 07:32 PM
I was pro fdb before watching this press conference. No wonder the players are confused. So am I. His English is so bad. Parish had a month s worth of interviews. He's got it wrong.

Happy Arthur
08-09-2017, 07:34 PM
^ well all will be revealed Sunday. Not long to wait.

orp pisshead1
08-09-2017, 07:39 PM

Too long !

meee
08-09-2017, 07:41 PM
I was pro fdb before watching this press conference. No wonder the players are confused. So am I. His English is so bad. Parish had a month s worth of interviews. He's got it wrong.

How can you lose confidence in someone during a press conference?It's literally there to tick some boxes.

Martin H
08-09-2017, 07:46 PM
How can you lose confidence in someone during a press conference?It's literally there to tick some boxes.

:)

exiledeagle
08-09-2017, 08:09 PM

His English is quite good ?

Lombardo's hair
08-09-2017, 08:24 PM
His English is quite good ?

Better than some posters on here

Lombardo's hair
08-09-2017, 08:28 PM

Yes. So much so it was said he had lost his mojo. Pundits said it fans said it and it seemed he had..I would be disappointed if a manager was happy about losing. Remember Sam beaming after beating Bournemouth....then his demeanor when we lost the games? Upbeat....don't think so

Lombardo's hair
08-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Bassett was by far the shortest time.

Ugh? When
?

GorBlimey
08-09-2017, 08:39 PM

Like an arsehole, everyone has an opinion but yours tends to share the function of said arsehole - the place where a load of shit comes out.

Nth Kent Eagle
08-09-2017, 08:49 PM

Blimey. The guy is a professional so of course he will care. Besides, from a personal view it wouldn't exactly enhance his career prospects, would it?

aj4england
08-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Was an interesting contrast listening to Dyche on talk sport . They seem polar opposite , Dyche generally not keen on 3 at the back , have to play systems that suits players not dictate the system and expect everyone to adjust , need to get the best out of the skill set you have , knit them together and be organised , need to be pragmatic and adjust - gradual morphing.

kelsus24
08-09-2017, 09:12 PM
I'm personally in favour of us giving him 10 games minimum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just have the feeling this guy will give us stability we have been craving for. People talk about his character and his bad English I just find it hilarious that's part of an appraisal for someone managing us. I get the playing 3 at back debacle I do but just so typical of current times. Give the guy some respect or give him a real chance to earn it. you may think he's barmy or lost the plot but what if he's actually seen something that the fans, media and chairman hasn't. What if he actually has a long term plan that could see us just survive and then thrive next season.

I've seen plenty of discussion on decisions taken by other clubs where some are quick to criticise but I feel like we need to start looking at ourselves and ask who are we trying to be. I feel like we look backwards too much and this Dougie Freeman appointment sums up mentality I mean DOF. I remember when he left for Bolton and look at his career since. If there is optimism of him coming back because he will play 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 or whatever then if that is basis for progress because he knows "the palace way" then we deserve everything we get and we won't ever get out of this cycle.

The instability stems from this expectation of instant success above everything. Would it be any worse if FdB played 4 at back and lost first 3 games? I would prefer this be treated like a project and if we go down we persist. I don't actually think he would leave. Burnley went down under Dyche and they were horrendous in that season but they backed him and he's cemented his philosophy on that team and they look a stable outfit. Manager stays long enough builds a foundation and eventually signs players to fit style vs. Sack him and new manager reverts to trusted 4 at back but hates players A, B and C so we have another transfer window of papering over cracks until that manager leaves after x games and cycle continues.

A change in philosophy does not happen overnight. I care about ourcresults as much as anyone. I hate it when I go to game and we lose but some of abuse that get said about players, current and previous managers, name calling of other fans it's like we have some infection spreading across the club. Is it worse because we are in premiership or has it always been there I wonder. I am frustrated with Parish as if he wanted results and continuation he should have taken a punt on Dyche or someone who would continue what we were doing but you can't change DNA of club in an instant with more or less same personnel.

People can analyse all they want but it's simply unreal we would sack a manager 4 games into a season. I used to laugh at other clubs doing this thinking not palace but we are getting just as bad. Taking this approach is simply not sustainable if you want stability. Mark Hughes had a horrendous start last season but they persevered and backed him by staying out of media and not saying anything to fuel speculation yet Parish doesn't help situation by making direct comment about football being a results business on SSN 3 games in for a manager that took over 6 weeks to identify.

So if FdB's replacement takes us down shall we sack him? And who shall we get as his replacement? I would rather us actually try do something a bit long term for once instead of this constant chop and changing of managers it's been rinsed and we keep banking on a manager doing a rescue job. Something has to change but not necessarily the manager and not 4 games into a season.

This roller coaster ain't going to stabilise because FdB leaves it's going to require us taking a brave decision and some dutch courage and actually letting it play out for good or for worse. There are clubs in far far more grave positions than us and I look and think root cause is typically due to continued instability.

We have run out of firefighters and don't want Roy Hodgson who has been linked so he can save us and then retire into sunset ahead of another manager merry-go-round. Probably (no definitely) not a popular opinion but maybe it's going with popular opinion at first sign of disappointment that might be our downfall. I remember people were calling for Sam's head after Sunderland and look how that turned out. Football is a funny game. I personally hope he stays but can't see it happening even if we win as people will just wait for next defeat to start calling for blood.

PalaceOfVariety
08-09-2017, 09:19 PM

Fully agree

in-exile
08-09-2017, 09:21 PM
About time the players got us some points....

Penstone Eagle
08-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Was an interesting contrast listening to Dyche on talk sport . They seem polar opposite , Dyche generally not keen on 3 at the back , have to play systems that suits players not dictate the system and expect everyone to adjust , need to get the best out of the skill set you have , knit them together and be organised , need to be pragmatic and adjust - gradual morphing.

Yep, heard the interview, so much sense spoken.

Penstone Eagle
08-09-2017, 09:23 PM
Like an arsehole, everyone has an opinion but yours tends to share the function of said arsehole - the place where a load of shit comes out.

Dear oh dear, grow up.

Wright+Bright
08-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Thought he handled that very well - dignified, respectful and honest. Fair play must have been difficult.

Hoping he can turn in around!

NorthPalace23
08-09-2017, 09:27 PM

Dyche would be a better fit for us.

Underrated manager.

I think sometimes a person's playing career can influence how good we think they will be at management when the two are completely seperate.

GorBlimey
08-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Dear oh dear, grow up.

You should try heeding your own advice.

What do you get from making things up and posting the crap as if it was fact?

Really, how old are you?

palacelad197o
08-09-2017, 09:33 PM
This is Franks Mike Bassett moment.

v7hEqCdAwjs

:lux: best post of the year lol :supergrin:

PalaceOfVariety
08-09-2017, 09:42 PM
At some point we have to move on with respect to our playing style. Talking for me personally, I can't take it season on season defending for 80 minutes, nicking a goal hear and there to convert 1 point into 3 so that we stay up.

I've thought hard about it and I don't see that a gradual transition works. You either have the players or you don't. But look at other teams (our bottom 6 competition) - they too lack quality and yet they are progressing.

So I say - let's go for it! Stick with FDB because we are going to get found out sooner rather than later playing the way we have been since promotion.

If we can keep relatively safe (even if that is marginal) until the next transfer window - and then have a review, style and players.

palacelad197o
08-09-2017, 10:06 PM
At some point we have to move on with respect to our playing style. Talking for me personally, I can't take it season on season defending for 80 minutes, nicking a goal hear and there to convert 1 point into 3 so that we stay up.

I've thought hard about it and I don't see that a gradual transition works. You either have the players or you don't. But look at other teams (our bottom 6 competition) - they too lack quality and yet they are progressing.

So I say - let's go for it! Stick with FDB because we are going to get found out sooner rather than later playing the way we have been since promotion.

If we can keep relatively safe (even if that is marginal) until the next transfer window - and then have a review, style and players.

We will be rooted to the bottom of the table

palacemetros
08-09-2017, 10:27 PM
We will be rooted to the bottom of the table

I see it as a choice between continued mediocrity at this level or the chance to maybe do something a bit special. That chance will only come by taking big risks and you have to be prepared to accept that the attempt might end in failure.

Another way of putting it might be...FFS grow a pair!

EddieEdwards
08-09-2017, 10:42 PM
Do we have the usual twitter feed update for those that boycott Jim 'Chamakh for good' Daley?The quality of the official Twitter feed summaries has taken a nosedive this season but here it is for the sake of completeness...

The gaffer has just arrived for his press conference here at Copers Cope. Updates to follow and full details on http://cpfc.co.uk

Team News: Good news on the injury front as Ruben Loftus Cheek returns to the squad for the game this weekend.

Frank de Boer hoping that James Tomkins & Yohan Cabaye will be available for the squad but final decision after Saturday's training session.

FDB: I have a positive feeling from what I have seen in training this week. We know it takes time & it is a long term project we have here.

FDB: I want to start seeing the performances I am expecting and once we start getting results it will give us all the confidence we need.

FDB on Sakho: Delighted to have Mamadou and he was eager to come here & already has had an influence on the grass and in the dressing room.

FDB on Burnley: We know they are a team who have played well and have options as to how to play but if we play as we can we will do well.

The broadcast section questions have now finished but don't forget the full conference will be on http://eagles.cpfc.co.uk shortly.

Kirby
08-09-2017, 10:54 PM
His English is so bad.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Are you sure you were watching the right press conference? He speaks almost perfect English.

Of all the things to slate him for :supergrin:

palacelad197o
08-09-2017, 10:56 PM
I see it as a choice between continued mediocrity at this level or the chance to maybe do something a bit special. That chance will only come by taking big risks and you have to be prepared to accept that the attempt might end in failure.

Another way of putting it might be...FFS grow a pair!

we wont be at this level for much longer and do you really think in ya wildest dreams de bore bore would stay with us in the championship ?

bubbs11
08-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Just had the chance to watch it in its entirety; as others have said, all credit to de Boer; the press were certainly out to trip him up but he dealt with it very admirably with an inner strength in his beliefs and ideals. Well done that man.

In my heart though, I still feel that what he's trying to achieve is not something our club can do in 38 Premier League games and come out smiling; but maybe the rabid obsession of staying in this league is getting in the way of long term progress? Now there's an interesting dilemma.

Years ago you could afford to think long term to the detriment of the short term - Malcolm Allison being the classic example; the fruits that came from back to back relegations were unprecedented in quite simply the most exciting group of young players this club and most clubs in fact, have ever produced at one time.

But in today's mind blowing financial climate when sitting at the top table - can we literally afford relegation from this league?

PeterH
08-09-2017, 10:57 PM
has had an influence on the grass

What like Chris Armstrong? :afro::eek:

Windsor_Eagle
08-09-2017, 10:59 PM
I'm personally in favour of us giving him 10 games minimum. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just have the feeling this guy will give us stability we have been craving for. People talk about his character and his bad English I just find it hilarious that's part of an appraisal for someone managing us. I get the playing 3 at back debacle I do but just so typical of current times. Give the guy some respect or give him a real chance to earn it. you may think he's barmy or lost the plot but what if he's actually seen something that the fans, media and chairman hasn't. What if he actually has a long term plan that could see us just survive and then thrive next season.

I've seen plenty of discussion on decisions taken by other clubs where some are quick to criticise but I feel like we need to start looking at ourselves and ask who are we trying to be. I feel like we look backwards too much and this Dougie Freeman appointment sums up mentality I mean DOF. I remember when he left for Bolton and look at his career since. If there is optimism of him coming back because he will play 4-4-2 or 4-3-2-1 or whatever then if that is basis for progress because he knows "the palace way" then we deserve everything we get and we won't ever get out of this cycle.

The instability stems from this expectation of instant success above everything. Would it be any worse if FdB played 4 at back and lost first 3 games? I would prefer this be treated like a project and if we go down we persist. I don't actually think he would leave. Burnley went down under Dyche and they were horrendous in that season but they backed him and he's cemented his philosophy on that team and they look a stable outfit. Manager stays long enough builds a foundation and eventually signs players to fit style vs. Sack him and new manager reverts to trusted 4 at back but hates players A, B and C so we have another transfer window of papering over cracks until that manager leaves after x games and cycle continues.

A change in philosophy does not happen overnight. I care about ourcresults as much as anyone. I hate it when I go to game and we lose but some of abuse that get said about players, current and previous managers, name calling of other fans it's like we have some infection spreading across the club. Is it worse because we are in premiership or has it always been there I wonder. I am frustrated with Parish as if he wanted results and continuation he should have taken a punt on Dyche or someone who would continue what we were doing but you can't change DNA of club in an instant with more or less same personnel.

People can analyse all they want but it's simply unreal we would sack a manager 4 games into a season. I used to laugh at other clubs doing this thinking not palace but we are getting just as bad. Taking this approach is simply not sustainable if you want stability. Mark Hughes had a horrendous start last season but they persevered and backed him by staying out of media and not saying anything to fuel speculation yet Parish doesn't help situation by making direct comment about football being a results business on SSN 3 games in for a manager that took over 6 weeks to identify.

So if FdB's replacement takes us down shall we sack him? And who shall we get as his replacement? I would rather us actually try do something a bit long term for once instead of this constant chop and changing of managers it's been rinsed and we keep banking on a manager doing a rescue job. Something has to change but not necessarily the manager and not 4 games into a season.

This roller coaster ain't going to stabilise because FdB leaves it's going to require us taking a brave decision and some dutch courage and actually letting it play out for good or for worse. There are clubs in far far more grave positions than us and I look and think root cause is typically due to continued instability.

We have run out of firefighters and don't want Roy Hodgson who has been linked so he can save us and then retire into sunset ahead of another manager merry-go-round. Probably (no definitely) not a popular opinion but maybe it's going with popular opinion at first sign of disappointment that might be our downfall. I remember people were calling for Sam's head after Sunderland and look how that turned out. Football is a funny game. I personally hope he stays but can't see it happening even if we win as people will just wait for next defeat to start calling for blood.

Much sense here.

Repped.

palacemetros
08-09-2017, 11:03 PM
we wont be at this level for much longer and do you really think in ya wildest dreams de bore bore would stay with us in the championship ?

In answer to your question, probably not. Having said that, if he fails, there won't be anywhere else for him to go so it's always possible. As for your statement, that's a matter of opinion. I happen to think we won't be at this level for much longer if we revert to "what we're good at" because frankly, it's only just about worked in the last two seasons and I don't think "what we're good at" is good enough for the longer term.

Martin H
08-09-2017, 11:10 PM
Much sense here.

Repped.

Ditto

palacemetros
08-09-2017, 11:12 PM
Ditto

And again

bubbs11
08-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Yes, very well said kelsus.

But from Parish and the boards perspective, do you think they'll believe that taking a massive short term hit - which relegation will be for those guys, worth perusing this long term goal - no matter how exciting?

This Premier League is one humongous all consuming horrible monster that we're holding onto for dear life it seems...but there's just so much at stake for us in terms of redeveloping the stadium and make no bones about it, relegation will hit that ambition hard. Let's be honest as fans, relegation will hurt but it won't change things that much for us will it? I'll still get just as excited watching us score against Burton as I would Burnley; but as custodians of the club, Parish and co really have a whole other set of priorities. I don't envy Parish's half fan/half businessman dichotomy.

Chris K
09-09-2017, 12:15 AM

I'm not one for quoting massive posts on here but you've won the BBS today.

Let's see how sunday pans out and I hope every one going backs the lads throughout which normally happens with our away support in times of adversity. We're Palace FFS but reading the BBS and Twitter over the last couple of weeks you'd think we'd become some Charlton/Tottenham hybrid

eagleborn
09-09-2017, 01:18 AM

An excellent post. I'd be interested to see a response from the usual negative suspects who criticise every possible aspect of the club regardless of what is going on. Would be interesting to hear their take on this, although I imagine they will tactically avoid...

bigend1
09-09-2017, 03:58 AM
A mixed bag from me having just seen it.

I suppose it's fair he's hung up on the 3 at the back criticism and was defensive regarding that as for many that is the focal point but he obviously ignored all the rest. The playing players out of position etc.. for example he has ward as rwb weather he was playing 3 or 5 at the back etc.. but we've done that.

Some bold comments though and he looks unshaken which is in everyone's interest.

Basically I think the key points he wanted to get across were

He wasn't playing 343 all the time, let it go! He does believe he's playing the best way for this squad not he's trying to impose a system not suited on the players.

He's going to be the one that takes responsibility if it fails so he will do it his way.

Results are important but look at the performance against Burnley too. A freak defeat set against a fantastic performance shouldn't hide the progress as it can and will always happen in football

He said he should get 10 games, interestingly including the pre season. That to me has said 'give me three more games then judge me' it's bold, might buy him a stay of execution for those games but I also think he's rolled the dice. I suppose he's nothing to lose now as he was likely to go after Burnley but if there isn't a huge improvement in three games he's drawn the line now on what's reasonable and he'd be off.

Huge few weeks ahead for him.

Regardless of opinion, let's hope frank can do something special for us all.

GorBlimey
09-09-2017, 04:31 AM
I suppose he's nothing to lose now as he was likely to go after Burnley but if there isn't a huge improvement in three games he's drawn the line now on what's reasonable and he'd be off.

Ever think he might be taking the piss?

He's here to complete a project and if we don't grant him enough time and resources to do that, we're the ones who will look like a complete basket case and not FdB.

Who the f*ck will we replace him with should we so stupid enough to fire him? Freedman???

FdB has seen more success as both a manager and a player than anyone at Palace and he needs to be given time, resources and an injury-free squad to show just what he can do.

Fire him if we lose to Burnley?

F*cking hell's bells!!

Maidstoned Eagle
09-09-2017, 06:08 AM
Kelsus24 is spot on.

Reg_Maudling
09-09-2017, 06:22 AM
Dyche would be a better fit for us.

Underrated manager.

I think sometimes a person's playing career can influence how good we think they will be at management when the two are completely seperate.

Completely agree

De boer is a 'big name' in world football more for his playing career with barcelona and holland

Penstone Eagle
09-09-2017, 06:55 AM
I'm not one for quoting massive posts on here but you've won the BBS today.

Let's see how sunday pans out and I hope every one going backs the lads throughout which normally happens with our away support in times of adversity. We're Palace FFS but reading the BBS and Twitter over the last couple of weeks you'd think we'd become some Charlton/Tottenham hybrid

Your last sentence is ridiculous, EVERY set of fans are the same on forums, Twitter and in the stands, to somehow make out that because 'we' are Palace' that we shouldn't do it is deluded.

Wake up to the fact that people have varying opinions, no matter how harsh or unfair you might think they may be.

olly cromwell
09-09-2017, 06:57 AM
Gor Blimey is spot on as well as kelsus24

It was interesting to hear Joel Ward backing de Boer on talk sport

Worksop Palace
09-09-2017, 07:17 AM
Gor Blimey is spot on as well as kelsus24

It was interesting to hear Joel Ward backing de Boer on talk sport

Yeah because you would always expect a player to go on the radio and call his manager a useless twat wouldn't you

SeaEagle
09-09-2017, 07:18 AM
itís not that you are going to make a 360 degrees plan and go the other way.

Mathematically correct

Worksop Palace
09-09-2017, 07:19 AM

He's here to complete a project and if we don't grant him enough time and resources to do that, we're the ones who will look like a complete basket case and not FdB.

Who the f*ck will we replace him with should we so stupid enough to fire him? Freedman???

FdB has seen more success as both a manager and a player than anyone at Palace and he needs to be given time, resources and an injury-free squad to show just what he can do.

F*cking hell's bells!!

He's managed two clubs

One in a league comparable to the championship and one where he lasted 82 days. Mmm, hugely successful that.

It's simple, if we lose on Sunday he's gone.

Reg_Maudling
09-09-2017, 07:38 AM
The English championship is a better preparation for the premier league than the eredivisie

gold76
09-09-2017, 07:54 AM
Blimey so Sako is fit?

Course he is the feckin deadline has gone!

gold76
09-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Haha Jim Daly gets accreditation for press conferences.

His transfer deadline blog and memery was top class

Maidstoned Eagle
09-09-2017, 08:15 AM
He's managed two clubs

One in a league comparable to the championship and one where he lasted 82 days. Mmm, hugely successful that.

It's simple, if we lose on Sunday he's gone.

He was also hugely influential in getting Holland to a European final

Maidstoned Eagle
09-09-2017, 08:16 AM
The English championship is a better preparation for the premier league than the eredivisie

Ian Holloway? Neil Warnock?

Reg_Maudling
09-09-2017, 08:23 AM

the championship is a better preparation for the premier league than the eredivisie - its not the premier league

Maz
09-09-2017, 08:24 AM
Kelsus24 is spot on.

Yes. And under 30 posts on the BBS !

Worksop Palace
09-09-2017, 08:24 AM

Sean Dyche, Eddie Howe...

Sleeping Giant
09-09-2017, 08:39 AM
What was telling in that was this part:

FDB: "What we are trying to do here is unravel the successful structure that an England manager just beat Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea with and replace it with something that really looks interesting and the best for these players. What we'd ideally like to do is implement this on a long term plan basis by someone with no experience in this league at all. The whole club are excited by the project and it shows the world of the football just how progressive we are. We move in the direction strong because we move together. It is why we will be successful. "

Eagle96
09-09-2017, 08:40 AM
What was telling in that was this part:

FDB: "What we are trying to do here is unravel the successful structure that an England manager just beat Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea with and replace it with something that really looks interesting and the best for these players. What we'd ideally like to do is implement this on a long term plan basis by someone with no experience in this league at all. The whole club are excited by the project and it shows the world of the football just how progressive we are. We move in the direction strong because we move together. It is why we will be successful. "

He certainly talks the talk, I'll give him that. Proof's in the pudding, and we've been terrible by all accounts. Bar RLC, I can't think of another player who has looked comfortable when we play 3 at the back - we look poorer defensively and there's absolutely nothing going the other way. We've had one clear-cut chance in three matches, including an abysmal Swansea side who beat us comfortably. Not buying it Frank. Get back to basics, get it out wide, put it in the box to Benteke. And repeat.

redeagle
09-09-2017, 08:47 AM
I thought he spoke pretty well and generally said the right things and gave the impression of tactical intelligence in the face of sometimes ill informed criticism . But I would expect him to, after all he clearly did a good interview. But there was something false about it. It s the performance not results, in time we will get there, the relationship with SP is good and the players are looking great in training. I don't believe any of that. The negative press reports about him being sacked obviously came from the club and that means there is no future for him. It is interesting how the stories changed from getting rid to one match to save his job.

My hunch is that SP tried to bully him into a face saving parting of the ways a la Holloway (no doubt with reduced comp). However FDB is no Holloway and told him where to go and has dug his heels in. As the international break wore on it would also have become clear that sacking FDB and replacing with DF as caretaker would be a divisive PR disaster.

So it's a stalemate. FDB is going nowhere unless he is sacked and contract is paid up in full. There is no long term successor in the frame and the preferred caretaker is a PR non starter.
In the mean time everyone hopes, against all expectations, that the players pull a win or two out of the bag to take some heat out of the situation. But if the players want rid it tends to be reflected on the pitch and so it is hard to see anything changing there.

So you would think Sunday will be a nailed on home win. But this is the Palace rollercoaster and I have a sneaky feeling we might get something out of the game. We tend to play better away as well.....

kelsus24
09-09-2017, 09:00 AM
Yes, very well said kelsus.

But from Parish and the boards perspective, do you think they'll believe that taking a massive short term hit - which relegation will be for those guys, worth perusing this long term goal - no matter how exciting?

This Premier League is one humongous all consuming horrible monster that we're holding onto for dear life it seems...but there's just so much at stake for us in terms of redeveloping the stadium and make no bones about it, relegation will hit that ambition hard. Let's be honest as fans, relegation will hurt but it won't change things that much for us will it? I'll still get just as excited watching us score against Burton as I would Burnley; but as custodians of the club, Parish and co really have a whole other set of priorities. I don't envy Parish's half fan/half businessman dichotomy.

I don't disagree with anything you say. We probably would take a big hit on things like our stadium ambitions but this is our 5th season in premiership and we still are no nearer to realising those ambitions from what I can tell. It might give us the reboot we need if the worst happened. You are spot on with Parish position being difficult can't be an easy job.

kelsus24
09-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Yes. And under 30 posts on the BBS !

Thank you

philsick
09-09-2017, 09:08 AM

This should be made a sticky at the top of each page on this and similar threads. It should also be sent to the owners.

Only bit i disagree on is the minimum amount of games being 10. i think it shoud be more unless he's obviously lost the majority of the dressing room.

Far East Eagle
09-09-2017, 09:16 AM

Amazing post. Can anyone send it to Steve Parish to have a read?

redeagle
09-09-2017, 09:23 AM
I don't disagree with anything you say. We probably would take a big hit on things like our stadium ambitions but this is our 5th season in premiership and we still are no nearer to realising those ambitions from what I can tell. It might give us the reboot we need if the worst happened. You are spot on with Parish position being difficult can't be an easy job.

The fact that our time in the PL has not led to a lasting legacy like a new stadium, does not mean relegation would not be a total disaste. Palace this season are nothing like the Burnley team that was relegated. They won promotion with a well organised team with good team spirit. They then spent very little and kept the same team in the Premiership. The players they recruited were essentially championship players. They were relegated and were able keep the team intact (apart from Trippier) and buy a free scoring striker. They went straight back up and now had a core of a team that was battle hardened and experienced.

We have a massive wage bill and if we went down all our best players would leave (probably at a loss). The players that remained would not be good enough to win promotion. If we didn't go up before the Parachute payments dried up we would literally back to square one. Pretty much every Championship team without parachute payments who are aiming for promotion run at a significant loss. Our American backers simply would not accept such a state of affairs. Not sure what the answer is?

Martin H
09-09-2017, 09:23 AM
Amazing post. Can anyone send it to Steve Parish to have a read?

Errrm, well you could, couldn't you?

bigend1
09-09-2017, 09:29 AM

F*cking hell's bells!!

Why would he be taking the piss? No i didn't think that as that would be stupid.

Also you've quoted me, removed the context to make it look like I said sack him after Burnley! Don't be a dick, I didn't say that at all.

Also the rest of your post is wrong but we've done that to death and won't agree