PDA

View Full Version : If he plays Ward at right wing-back he is digging his own grave

glaziers fan
10-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Joel Ward, a top professional, and great servant of the club. BUT if he plays him at right wing back he deserves to go. Why not stick to your guns FdB and play Townsend there? If RLC and Sako are back to assist Benteke there's no reason not to play Andros at wing back. Be bold Frank.

If we go 3-5-2 Townsend at wing back please.

16eagles
10-09-2017, 10:34 AM
I actually think Ward would be suited best in the right centre half role in the back 3. Like Azceulpeta does for Chelsea. But Mensah does look good there too.

He can play there but has he's work cut out in that role. PVA I think has been worse on other side in this role but no-one seems to want to talk about that.

Martin H
10-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Joel Ward, a top professional, and great servant of the club. BUT if he plays him at right wing back he deserves to go. Why not stick to your guns FdB and play Townsend there? If RLC and Sako are back to assist Benteke there's no reason not to play Andros at wing back. Be bold Frank.

If we go 3-5-2 Townsend at wing back please.

It's difficult because these are just shorthands and they rely on our understandings of what each formation means.

In a 343 I would say you are right. The wingback in a 343 tends to be mostly winger with defensive responsibilities. In a 532 or even a 352 it tends to be more of an attacking fullback that fills the role. The 352 is debatable I guess if it's an attacking 352. Ward has played RB for years and has been OK but not great coming forward. So I think that can work 'OK'. but all of that presupposes a lot about how the rest of the team is playing so who knows :)

TBH today will be the same as every week and that do our players win their battles, do our strikers take their chances and do the defenders avoid stupid mistakes. Depends a lot on who is fit.

beef
10-09-2017, 10:46 AM
It's over if we see Ward at RWB - no doubt in my mind

TWELLSEagle
10-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Agree with GF, if we have to play that system he must be bold and play Townsend there. Hope we go 4 at back mind.

CP-RJW
10-09-2017, 10:53 AM
Glaziers Fan has become scarily sensible since his return, what's happened?

Martin H
10-09-2017, 11:30 AM
It's over if we see Ward at RWB - no doubt in my mind

The point is more which version of a RWB do you have in mind when you say that. There isn't just one. What is pretty certain is that we could do a lot better wgichever RWB we are talking about.

cpfc4evandeva
10-09-2017, 11:35 AM
Ward isn't good enough any more to play as a standard full back, let alone wing back.

He should have been replaced in the Summer, but kept on as a defensive squad player. It's crazy that he's still starting, and doing so out of position.

Green Bin
10-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Ward isn't good enough any more to play as a standard full back, let alone wing back.

He should have been replaced in the Summer, but kept on as a defensive squad player. It's crazy that he's still starting, and doing so out of position.

Looks like he's starting as a normal RB, as played there by Freedman, Holloway, Pulis, Warnock and Pardew. Nothing revolutionary about that.

Very possibly if Sakho was match fit TFM might play there.

Given that our board failed to sort the other glaring weaknesses in the squad, Ward is probably the last thing to worry about

Skintagain
10-09-2017, 11:44 AM
He's talking about 433 now. Ward will be fine.

Gizmo
10-09-2017, 11:54 AM
Ward is and we are playing 4 3 3 today

Martin H
10-09-2017, 12:00 PM
He's talking about 433 now. Ward will be fine.

Hope you are still saying that after the game.

cpfc4evandeva
10-09-2017, 12:16 PM
If Townsend is in front of him, I think he'll be ok. If it's Lee, then I think he'll struggle.

exiledeagle
10-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Ward was decent today , if anything Mensah looked uncomfortable central defence and a bit hesitant .

beef
10-09-2017, 03:19 PM
The point is more which version of a RWB do you have in mind when you say that. There isn't just one. What is pretty certain is that we could do a lot better wgichever RWB we are talking about.

I agree with that. We can't play with wing backs when we don't have one for the right side.

mrgins
10-09-2017, 04:36 PM
Thought ward played well today

adrenalin john
10-09-2017, 04:47 PM
Thought ward played well today

He lacks pace but he knows his job in a back 4 and did as well as he can, which against bottom half sides is plenty good enough