Cabaye - 9
Townsend - 7
Lee - 0
Benteke - 5

Lumeka - 6
Riedewald - N/A

Spindle
10-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Cabaye class. Townsend and Macca played well. Dann was very good aside his miss.

sl6 Eagle
10-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Hennessey 4

Ward 6
Dann 4
Mensah 6
Schlupp 7

Cabaye 6
Puncheon 2
MacArthur 3

Townsend 8
Benteke 3
Lee -10

CPFC.1990
10-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Hennessey 5
Fosu-Mensah 6
Dann 7
Ward 6
Schlupp 8
Puncheon 4
Cabaye 8
Townsend 6
Lee 5
Benteke 7
McArthur 6

eagleborn
10-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Hennessey 4

Ward 6
Dann 4
Mensah 6
Schlupp 7

Cabaye 6
Puncheon 2
MacArthur 3

Townsend 8
Benteke 3
Lee -10

Not really sure what Hennessey did wrong to get a 4. A few very harsh people are giving him some blame for the goal (which us a joke IMO) but otherwise he didn't do much wrong. No worse than anyone else

alexcpfc
10-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Hennessy 6

Ward 7
Mensah 7
Dann 7
Schlupp 7

Cabaye 8
MacArthur 7
Puncheon 5

Townsend 7
Benteke 7
Lee 1

Overall a good performance, we need to create more, stop the dumb ass mistakes, stop messing around with throw ins get Zaha, RLC and Sakho in the side and we will be alright, if it wasn't for Lee we would have had at least a point, that was the least we deserved.

FdB should have played Schlupp on the left wing and PVA at left back. Otherwise keep it 4-3-3 the players look comfortable with it and passed it around, best of both worlds.

okey eagle
10-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Hennessey - 6
Ward - 7
Fosu Mensah - 8
Dann - 7
Schlupp - 6
Puncheon - 6
McArthur - 6
Cabaye - 8
Townsend - 8
Lee - 5
Benteke - 6

Lumeka - 5
Riedewald - 6

Eagle's Nest
10-09-2017, 08:35 PM
There was something there today to be hopeful about.

Mr Palace
10-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Hennessey - 6
Ward - 6
Dann - 7
TFM - 5
Schlupp - 7

Cabaye - 7
Puncheon - 5
McArthur - 6

Townsend - 7
Lee - 3
Benteke - 5

Subs
Lumeka - 6
Riedewald - 5

de Boer - 5

Danny boy
10-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Benteke form has been so poor. Zero movement in the box and finishing is nowhere near good enough for a 30m player.

Cabaye was good though and Riedweald looks like could do a decent job in the holding role with his passing.

Pete79
10-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Cabaye and Townsend played well, tried to make things happen. Cabaye was very comfortable in posession, a noticable improvement on the previous games.

The defence was mostly faultless. Ward and Dann played well and Dann positioned himself well for each of his chances. Its a shame none went in...

Schlupp was also good on the left with Lee fairly anonymous, except for his assist for the winner.

Puncheon? We know he can't tackle or shoot. Now we know that he can't beat a defender on the outside and can barely hold on to posession given his apparent lack of speed or strength. I don't like being negative about a Palace player and its not his fault the manager keeps picking him. He truly will be undroppable if he maintains his place when RLC and Zaha are back. With MacArthur, Cabaye and Townsend playing well there's surely no space in the starting 11 for Puncheon.

Damn but we miss Zaha.

alexcpfc
10-09-2017, 08:38 PM
There was something there today to be hopeful about.

And once we get Sakho, Zaha and RLC in that side we will be fine. Yes I know it's not nice to have 4 straight defeats but it wouldn't be Palace without the drama. Our luck will change.

Pete79
10-09-2017, 08:51 PM
In four games we've had 57 shots on goal (about 14/game). Of those a total of 13 (23%) have been on target. Additionally we've had a few good opportunities in which we have not been able to get a shot off. Obviously we haven't scored a goal.

Its hard to see how that is the manager's fault. It might have helped if we had a second forward to come on, somone who might have put away one of Dann's chances today. Its Still early and Sakho, RLC and Zaha will be a massive injection of talent. I think we're going to turn it around.

in-exile
10-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Hennessey - 9. **** the haters that always blame him for every goal.
Ward - 8 .. honest pro.
Dann - 1 .. gone backwards of late
TFM - 4 ..not sure .
Schlupp - 8..wants to be a hit with us.

Cabaye - 8 our best player after Wilf.
Puncheon - 4 ..Punch. FFS get your mojo back!
McArthur - 3 ..we have see the best of him... Should have sold him.

Townsend - 6 .. Class but always ineffective for the most part.
Lee - 1.. Championship player.
Benteke - 2 pull your Bloody finger out..

Subs
Lumeka - 4
Riedewald - 4

Dear Boer - **** knows ..poor luck and injuries... Lack of buys have not helped.

jimmy the gent
10-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Hennessey - 6 Cant really expect a keeper to save those, least of all a poor keeper.

Schlupp - 6 decent going fwd, a better option than PVA

Dann - 7 two shots cleared and one shocking header missed, bizarrely our best goal threat

TFM - 6 looks shakey under aerial deliveries, but has excellent pace and seems pretty composed

Ward - 6 got turned a few times by his namesake, other than that solid enough

Cabaye - 8 class act. shame he is having to do so much grafting, while the ineffective Puncheon is in the more advanced role.

MacArthur - 6 busy, but lacked any cutting edge

Puncheon - 4 offers nothing. i dont care if he's a great guy and is from Croydon, he is nowhere near justifying his weekly inclusion in the side and hasnt been for years. So laboured, slow and does he ever win the ball, or break up an opposition move? If we had a manager with some bollocks he'd be dropped.

Lee - 3 that was woeful. Not just the error, that can happen to anyone, but when has he ever looked remotely Premiership class? So weak, so ineffective, his passing and crossing was so poor. Can;t believe he lasted 60, should have been hooked at HT.

Towsend - 7.5 our only good crosser of the ball out there today. Bright, great turns and link up play. A real handful for Burnley all game.

Benteke - 6 out of form, at least he seemed to put himself about a bit. Decent shot well saved by their keeper. STill can't believe we have literally no other option on the bench or in the squad. Appalling situation to be in.

De Boer - Does he do anything on the bench? Why the f*ck wait til the 60th minute to take Lee off, he was having a shocker. How Puncheon stays on when he;s so poor stuns me. Doesnt seem to offer any direction or encouragement just sits there.

Burnley were very poor today, and i doubt we'll player poorer opposition away from home all year. Still couldnt convert any of our shots, and never really looked like doing so. Players look bereft of confidence. It was an improvement not being in De Boers 343, which was f*cking obvious to anyone ever since he came to the club. The fact it's taken him all up to this to get him to try it out, says to me the man has no judgement, doesnt appear to offer much leadership and now just seems like a dead man walking. Feel sorry for the bloke, but it's just not going to work out for him here. What a mess we've got ourselves into with this appointment.

TouchyAndalou
10-09-2017, 08:59 PM
It was a pretty good performance. It was clever of Frank to play such a high line against their two carthorse forwards, because without the pace to get in behind it negated much of their threat. If we'd played deep against those two, Burnley would have been dropping balls onto their heads all game. So it worked well, apart from Chungy playing Wood through so beautifully. :D

I think 4-3-3 is definitely the way forward for now and there were signs today of improvement in a lot of individual player's performances, especially Ward and Dann who struggled playing 3-4-3. Obviously Burnley sat off us having taken the very early lead, but still when have we ever fashioned 23, 25 or however many chances in the Premier League? And some of those chances were certainly good enough for us too feel unlucky not to take something from the game. We were also organised defensively and reasonably comfortable on the ball. The issue was our complete lack of cutting edge. Put Zaha and RLC in today's game and we're a completely different prospect going forward. Get them the ball in the areas that Punch and Lee were getting it, and I'm pretty confident it's a different result.

Zulu84
10-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Hennessey - 6 Cant really expect a keeper to save those, least of all a poor keeper.

Schlupp - 6 decent going fwd, a better option than PVA

Dann - 7 two shots cleared and one shocking header missed, bizarrely our best goal threat

TFM - 6 looks shakey under aerial deliveries, but has excellent pace and seems pretty composed

Ward - 6 got turned a few times by his namesake, other than that solid enough

Cabaye - 8 class act. shame he is having to do so much grafting, while the ineffective Puncheon is in the more advanced role.

MacArthur - 6 busy, but lacked any cutting edge

Puncheon - 4 offers nothing. i dont care if he's a great guy and is from Croydon, he is nowhere near justifying his weekly inclusion in the side and hasnt been for years. So laboured, slow and does he ever win the ball, or break up an opposition move? If we had a manager with some bollocks he'd be dropped.

Lee - 3 that was woeful. Not just the error, that can happen to anyone, but when has he ever looked remotely Premiership class? So weak, so ineffective, his passing and crossing was so poor. Can;t believe he lasted 60, should have been hooked at HT.

Towsend - 7.5 our only good crosser of the ball out there today. Bright, great turns and link up play. A real handful for Burnley all game.

Benteke - 6 out of form, at least he seemed to put himself about a bit. Decent shot well saved by their keeper. STill can't believe we have literally no other option on the bench or in the squad. Appalling situation to be in.

De Boer - Does he do anything on the bench? Why the f*ck wait til the 60th minute to take Lee off, he was having a shocker. How Puncheon stays on when he;s so poor stuns me. Doesnt seem to offer any direction or encouragement just sits there.

Burnley were very poor today, and i doubt we'll player poorer opposition away from home all year. Still couldnt convert any of our shots, and never really looked like doing so. Players look bereft of confidence. It was an improvement not being in De Boers 343, which was f*cking obvious to anyone ever since he came to the club. The fact it's taken him all up to this to get him to try it out, says to me the man has no judgement, doesnt appear to offer much leadership and now just seems like a dead man walking. Feel sorry for the bloke, but it's just not going to work out for him here. What a mess we've got ourselves into with this appointment.

He had to wait till then, couldn't exactly hook the player he stupidly started in the first place. The guy is way to stubborn.

AJ
10-09-2017, 09:06 PM
That was better, but Burnley are really poor. Our problem is too many average outfield players who can play in the team if they are the only one, but not together.

Ward - average...replace with TFM(Sahko to CB)
McArthur - replace with Loftus-Cheek
Punch - replace with Luka
Lee - replace with Zaha

Off course we need to wait for those players out to be fit.

Palestinian
10-09-2017, 09:14 PM
And once we get Sakho, Zaha and RLC in that side we will be fine. Yes I know it's not nice to have 4 straight defeats but it wouldn't be Palace without the drama. Our luck will change.
Think this is right. From the stream, it looked as though Benteke was horribly isolated for much of the time, so the threat he poses was easily snuffed out by Burnley.

beelsylegend
10-09-2017, 09:24 PM
It was a pretty good performance. It was clever of Frank to play such a high line against their two carthorse forwards, because without the pace to get in behind it negated much of their threat. If we'd played deep against those two, Burnley would have been dropping balls onto their heads all game. So it worked well, apart from Chungy playing Wood through so beautifully. :D

I think 4-3-3 is definitely the way forward for now and there were signs today of improvement in a lot of individual player's performances, especially Ward and Dann who struggled playing 3-4-3. Obviously Burnley sat off us having taken the very early lead, but still when have we ever fashioned 23, 25 or however many chances in the Premier League? And some of those chances were certainly good enough for us too feel unlucky not to take something from the game. We were also organised defensively and reasonably comfortable on the ball. The issue was our complete lack of cutting edge. Put Zaha and RLC in today's game and we're a completely different prospect going forward. Get them the ball in the areas that Punch and Lee were getting it, and I'm pretty confident it's a different result.

Good comment, agree with all of it. There are reasons for optimism

costello
10-09-2017, 09:24 PM
Just got back from Turfmoor. Was looking forward to seeing a groundswell of support for the team and management after a much, much improved performance. Instead, more negativity...

Anyhow, this is what I saw today.

It was a pleasure to see us play such good football out of defence. The work that the players and coaches has put in was there to see. F de Boer set us up really well. The midfield was excellent, Cabaye in particular. Defensively we were pretty solid. Going forward Andros had a very good game.

Hennessey 6. V little to do. One good save
Ward. 6. Ok. Felt he was a little narrow at times and they had too much space to put
crosses in
Fosu-Mensah 7. This boy is going to be some player.
Dann 7. Always calm. Found himself in good positions in the opposition box.
Schlupp 6. A mixed afternoon. Disappointing not to see him go past players when he
had the chance but some good moments
Cabaye 8. MoM. Controlled the midfield. Great interceptions, telling passes. Always calm and controlled.
Puncheon 6. Solid.
Lee 4. Received the ball well but weak under pressure. Always had to cut back inside. Terrible mistake for goal.
McArthur 5. Ok
Andros. 8. Excellent game. Would like to have seen him shoot after finding himself in good positions.
Benteke. 4. Missed chances. Last year's reserve centre back had him in his pocket

F de Boer. 8. What more could he have done today? Completely right to drop Luka and PVA.

CPFC247
10-09-2017, 09:27 PM
Just got back from Turfmoor. Was looking forward to seeing a groundswell of support for the team and management after a much, much improved performance. Instead, more negativity...

It was a pleasure to see us play such good football out of defence. The work that the players and coaches has put in was there to see. F de Boer set us up really well. The midfield was excellent, Cabaye in particular. Defensively we were pretty solid. Going forward Andros had a very good game.

Ward. 6. Ok. Felt he was a little narrow at times and they had too much space to put
crosses in
Schlupp 6. A mixed afternoon. Disappointing not to see him go past players when he
Cabaye 8. MoM. Controlled the midfield. Great interceptions, telling passes. Always calm and controlled.
Puncheon 6. Solid.
Lee 4. Received the ball well but weak under pressure. Always had to cut back inside. Terrible mistake for goal.
McArthur 5. Ok
Andros. 8. Excellent game. Would like to have seen him shoot after finding himself in good positions.
Benteke. 4. Missed chances. Last year's reserve centre back had him in his pocket

F de Boer. 8. Set the team up really well.

Steady on, you can't post common sense on here at the moment! Agree with most of the above, we deserved to win.

Wright+Bright
10-09-2017, 09:31 PM

crosses in
Puncheon 6. Solid.
McArthur 5. Ok

F de Boer. 8. What more could he have done today? Completely right to drop Luka and PVA.

Couldn't agree more. I enjoyed watching that - we completely bossed the game. Unbelievable that we lost.

El Aguila
10-09-2017, 09:42 PM
It looked the same to me on the telly as it did to Costello at the game, really.

Martin H
10-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Hennessey - 6
Ward - 6
Dann - 7
TFM - 5
Schlupp - 7

Cabaye - 7
Puncheon - 5
McArthur - 6

Townsend - 7
Lee - 3
Benteke - 5

Subs
Lumeka - 6
Riedewald - 5

de Boer - 5

Bit gobsmacked that you only gave Timbo a 5 - really?

alanlee11
10-09-2017, 09:46 PM
Schlupp lashing the ball over the bar from 10 yards out, with no immediate pressure from a defender - that is one of the most pathetic things I've seen a Palace player do recently. So, so poor for a Premier League footballer.

exiledeagle
10-09-2017, 09:48 PM
Hennessey 6 Not much to do , Lee at fault for goal
Ward 6 Decent and looked more comfortable
Schlupp 6 Decent but think he has more to offer
Dann 6 Not troubled much should have scored
Mensah 6 Not surecentral defence is his best position
Cabaye 6 Decent just think we lacked pace in midfield
McArthur 5 Okish
Puncheon 4 Just not great at moment
Benteke 4 Isolated but he needs to do more
Townsend 7 Our main threat but lacked options
Lee 3 Terrible mistake and generally poor

It was better performance last 30 mins . Personally I would have had Schlupp instead of Lee and played Van Aanholt at left back . Desperately need Wilf and RLC back . Burnley were poor today but we still didn't score .

AJ
10-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Shame that Lee cannot put the same kind of ball thru to Benteke that he did for Wood today.

wrightchipvcfc
10-09-2017, 09:55 PM
Gutted but know we deserved to win that players deff tried for the manager just wasn't there day Cabaye stood out some are just not prem standard.when we get our best 11 on pitch think results will pick up but by then we could be long way behind other relegation candidates dreading them 3 difficult fixtures coming up could realisticly be on 0 or 1.point after 8 games

Martin H
10-09-2017, 09:55 PM

Agree. The high line normally with Dann is a real risk but not against them and Timbo to cover. He really is like an express train. That really worked well.

I don't think it was just them sitting back TBH - every time they tried to come forward we smothered it. I also don't think they knew what to do with that high line. It's not rocket science either is it - you just put someone up there with some legs :) but Big Sean didn't go for it. Too stubborn I reckon :)

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
10-09-2017, 09:57 PM
For me the Dann missed header and Schlupp's sky high shot resulting in him going down with cramp were both indicative of a team of players who are just trying too hard. If we had grabbed a gifted opener today, rather than them, then we would have scored another 4 or 5, but everyone is too tense and too desperate. The managers stress and fear is percolating down to the players on the pitch.

We needed a spot of luck today and we didn't get it. We needed a plan B to implement earlier than the pressure we put them under in the final 10. But when results are going against you the break doesn't seem to come.

4 games, no goals, no points despite having an established valuable experienced squad and having played 3 weak on paper teams out of the 4. Hmmmm. Bloody Palace :) And still I could swallow it but feel of all our Premiership seasons where we had a lot to lose, this year we have the scum alongside us and the stakes are so so much higher.

Mr Palace
10-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Bit gobsmacked that you only gave Timbo a 5 - really?

Yep, thought he was all over the place for the first half hour especially - with wood and Vokes dominating him. The commentators kept making that point too. He doesn't look strong enough to play as a CB in a back four but I bet he would be very good as a right back in a back four. That's where I'd like to see him play. It's where united fans say his best position is too.

Krise
10-09-2017, 10:10 PM
Yep, thought he was all over the place for the first half hour especially - with wood and Vokes dominating him. The commentators kept making that point too. He doesn't look strong enough to play as a CB in a back four but I bet he would be very good as a right back in a back four. That's where I'd like to see him play. It's where united fans say his best position is too.

Dann and Fosu-Mensah started a bit shakey, but soon found an understanding, I thought. It's the first time they've played together as a cb pair.

Mr Palace
10-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Dann and Fosu-Mensah started a bit shakey, but soon found an understanding, I thought. It's the first time they've played together as a pair.

That's a good point - they may get better with games. Although I would imagine Sakho will partner Dann and TFM will go to right back. That would be a decent looking back four along with Schlupp who was good today.

TouchyAndalou
10-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Yep, thought he was all over the place for the first half hour especially - with wood and Vokes dominating him. The commentators kept making that point too. He doesn't look strong enough to play as a CB in a back four but I bet he would be very good as a right back in a back four. That's where I'd like to see him play. It's where united fans say his best position is too. To be fair, it's not every game he's going to be matched up with two guys more suited to rugby than football. They'd give a lot of centrebacks problems. Dann did really well helping cover for him early in the match though, and also DeBoer's tactics helped lessen the impact they had on the game.

Mr Palace
10-09-2017, 10:14 PM
To be fair, it's not every game he's going to be matched up with two guys more suited to rugby than football. They'd give a lot of centrebacks problems. Dann did really well helping cover for him early in the match though, and also DeBoer's tactics helped lessen the impact they had on the game.

They are a couple of beasts. Shame we didn't get Wood. He looked decent. Already scored two goals in two games.

Krise
10-09-2017, 10:15 PM
That's a good point - they may get better with games. Although I would imagine Sakho will partner Dann and TFM will go to right back. That would be a decent looking back four along with Schlupp who was good today.

Absolutely. I have high hopes for a back four of Fosu-Mensah, Dann, Sakho and Schlupp.

Louis
10-09-2017, 10:24 PM

crosses in
Puncheon 6. Solid.
McArthur 5. Ok

Listening on the radio, I heard a similarly positive performance

Louis
10-09-2017, 10:36 PM
Highlights are here ...

http://www.results24.co.uk/match/burnley-crystal-palace-2017-2018/vX8GykVE/#video

Green Bin
10-09-2017, 10:51 PM
Absolutely. I have high hopes for a back four of Fosu-Mensah, Dann, Sakho and Schlupp.

That'll be class

Then add RLC. Lukas (or Riedewald) and Cabaye in midfield, Wilf, AT and Benteke up front and that'll do nicely

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
10-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Re. Lee's error.

It is quite remarkable when you watch it back. He is a wide forward in a front 3, picks the ball up about 10 yards inside the opponents half... why, oh why is he even looking to play the ball back in to that area in the first place? I know he gets pressed but even so.

It was an absolute shocker and to fall behind again so, so early was a huge blow. Especially against a team who like to defend deep.

Martin H
10-09-2017, 11:14 PM

Will watch it again tomorrow but I thought he was excellent. He and Dann got mixed up early on but did far better together than I expected against two thuggish Forwards and even the evil Barnes later on. :) I think he has probably been our best defender in every game so far. But will watch again and look out for him. Cheers.

Celestial Empire
10-09-2017, 11:20 PM

If you want a decent feed to Benteke, use Schlupp as a sub, and pray for the early return of Souare. Luka is our best defensive midfielder, allowing the other midfielders to play further forward. FdB has screwed up his head by insisting on playing him at CB.

Brumie Allan
10-09-2017, 11:38 PM

crosses in
Puncheon 6. Solid.
McArthur 5. Ok

F de Boer. 8. What more could he have done today? Completely right to drop Luka and PVA.Thanks for that. It was pretty much how I saw it on TV. I'm so glad I'm normally at the game and not on the match day thread. So many clueless people on here. Hennessey 4! He had **** all to do but when he was called on, late in the second half, he made a good save. Lee made one silly mistake but he was not as bad as people were making out.

meee
10-09-2017, 11:42 PM
Thanks for that. It was pretty much how I saw it on TV. I'm so glad I'm normally at the game and not on the match day thread. So many clueless people on here. Hennessey 4! He had **** all to do but when he was called on, late in the second half, he made a good save. Lee made one silly mistake but he was not as bad as people were making out.

Agree on Hennessey but Lee was shockingly bad.I can't think of anything he did well.He gave them the goal,gave the ball away cheaply,put poor crosses in,played backwards when he had a chance to run at players,didn't track their fullback the one time he came forward and put in minimal effort.It was an embarrassment to play like that after being given probably one opportunity too many already.

Martin H
10-09-2017, 11:43 PM
If you want a decent feed to Benteke, use Schlupp as a sub, and pray for the early return of Souare. Luka is our best defensive midfielder, allowing the other midfielders to play further forward. FdB has screwed up his head by insisting on playing him at CB.

Oh come on. Are you really saying 3 friendlies have screwed him up after years of playing pro football? He is surely better than that.

Luka was excellent in most games last year but had 2 or 3 stinkers. I would list them but can't remember which was which now. This season, he really hasn't done well despite being back, sitting in front of the defence. I don't mean he is now a poor player but I do understand why he hasn't been picked. Even more so after a midweek friendly. Whether it's his head or his form, he has to get that right. I think Luka is a very professional player and a 'team man' and I would give him more credit than assume he has been thrown by the friendlies.

Just to add this is an honest view of what I have seen and I am definitely a Luka fan' so have no axe to grind.

glaziers fan
10-09-2017, 11:54 PM
He had to wait till then, couldn't exactly hook the player he stupidly started in the first place. The guy is way to stubborn.

The truth is that I'm sure he would have been hooked at ht if there was a replacement on the bench with a handful of Premiership starts to his name.

Chas
10-09-2017, 11:57 PM
I can't believe people are saying that de Boer was right to drop Luka while Puncheon plays week in and week out. If Punch gets a second, third, and 56th chance, then Luka deserves the benefit of the doubt as well.

glaziers fan
11-09-2017, 12:00 AM
Agree. The high line normally with Dann is a real risk but not against them and Timbo to cover. He really is like an express train. That really worked well.

I don't think it was just them sitting back TBH - every time they tried to come forward we smothered it. I also don't think they knew what to do with that high line. It's not rocket science either is it - you just put someone up there with some legs :) but Big Sean didn't go for it. Too stubborn I reckon :)

Touché! (I reckon they don't have anyone with legs to go in behind!)

Martin H
11-09-2017, 12:04 AM
Touché! (I reckon they don't have anyone with legs to go in behind!)

:)

glaziers fan
11-09-2017, 12:07 AM
I can't believe people are saying that de Boer was right to drop Luka while Puncheon plays week in and week out. If Punch gets a second, third, and 56th chance, then Luka deserves the benefit of the doubt as well.

Yep, one rule for Luka (who admittedly has been poor and deserves to be dropped), and one rule for Captain Fantastic Jason Puncheon. Ei ei skipper. Jason, have a word with Frank and ask to be dropped. Please put us all out of our misery of having to watch your inept performances every week.

Lego Knight
11-09-2017, 12:21 AM
With the exception of Lee and Hennessey I thought we played really well, and not sure De Boer could do much else to make the team win today. The thought that we didn't have Zaha, RLC or Sakho adds to my optimism that maybe we'll start getting some points once we can call on some of those guys as well.

Zulu84
11-09-2017, 12:24 AM
The truth is that I'm sure he would have been hooked at ht if there was a replacement on the bench with a handful of Premiership starts to his name.

You mean besides Van Anholt and Luka? Wait I'm I getting wooshed?

glaziers fan
11-09-2017, 12:26 AM
I didn't go to this one, but just from the highlights reel, wanted to praise Scott Dann for wonderful control to set up both his shots. Top class technical play for a centre back to be able to do that. Well done SD, your luck will change.

glaziers fan
11-09-2017, 12:28 AM
You mean besides Van Anholt and Luka? Wait I'm I getting wooshed?

CYL was playing wide left in a front 3. The only replacements for that position were two inexperienced kids. Had Sako been on the bench, for example, it would have been easier for FdB to hook Lee at ht.

Zulu84
11-09-2017, 12:29 AM
I didn't go to this one, but just from the highlights reel, wanted to praise Scott Dann for wonderful control to set up both his shots. Top class technical play for a centre back to be able to do that. Well done SD, your luck will change.

Yup, especially the first one, really unlucky

Zulu84
11-09-2017, 12:30 AM
CYL was playing wide left in a front 3. The only replacements for that position were two inexperienced kids. Had Sako been on the bench, for example, it would have been easier for FdB to hook Lee at ht.

We could have shifted punch out wide with Luka central or played van Anholt out wide, he's barely a defender anyways.

macstar
11-09-2017, 12:32 AM
Not really sure what Hennessey did wrong to get a 4. A few very harsh people are giving him some blame for the goal (which us a joke IMO) but otherwise he didn't do much wrong. No worse than anyone else

id give him a 5...

i think, as the pundits have said, he came rushing out and made Wood's mind up for him.

If he'd stayed in his box then it wouldve given Wood a bit more to think about....he could use his hands for a start and make himself big, not try a bizarre flying header to try and stop the shot.

Just a bit pathetic, but yes, you cannot blame him overall.

Martin H
11-09-2017, 12:34 AM

Unfortunately that final header after the brilliant cross from Yohan was almost as bad as Lee's mistake TBH. I can't get my brain around why he didn't just head it into the open net he could see in front of him. He clearly knew where he was and had time. My only guess was that he thought he was going to be clattered but even that doesn't make sense really.

orp pisshead1
11-09-2017, 12:41 AM
Unfortunately that final header after the brilliant cross from Yohan was almost as bad as Lee's mistake TBH. I can't get my brain around why he didn't just head it into the open net he could see in front of him. He clearly knew where he was and had time. My only guess was that he thought he was going to be clattered but even that doesn't make sense really.

Especially when your a centre half as getting clattered is part of the game ffs. Really felt sorry for FdB when he missed it.

orp pisshead1
11-09-2017, 12:42 AM
That'll be class

Then add RLC. Lukas (or Riedewald) and Cabaye in midfield, Wilf, AT and Benteke up front and that'll do nicely

Agree that's quality :lux:

glaziers fan
11-09-2017, 12:44 AM

Yes, I think he thought he was going to be clattered; defender put him off at least. He mis-headed it, think he was trying to direct it into the corner by the near post. Should have got more on it and powered it towards goal to at least get it on target. Ok keeper might have saved it but at least it is not an error. Easy to say in hindsight though.

orp pisshead1
11-09-2017, 12:45 AM
Thanks for that. It was pretty much how I saw it on TV. I'm so glad I'm normally at the game and not on the match day thread. So many clueless people on here. Hennessey 4! He had **** all to do but when he was called on, late in the second half, he made a good save. Lee made one silly mistake but he was not as bad as people were making out.

Sorry mate but disagree re Lee too light weight and poor crossing.

Martin H
11-09-2017, 12:48 AM
Especially when your a centre half as getting clattered is part of the game ffs. Really felt sorry for FdB when he missed it.

The playback from live made that worse because he sees it coming and he is heading it in for him on the touchline (saw it later) and then you see him replay it in the dugout a bit later talking to Trusty. Gutting.

MFBias
11-09-2017, 12:57 AM
Hennessey 6 (Lee put him on the spot there is nothing he could do)
Ward 6
Schlupp 5 (missed a shot he should have drilled and was abit all over the place)
Dann 6 (got forward and was involved with a few decent shots, would have been a 7 but for the miss)
Fosu-Mensah 6
Cabaye 7 (played well and attempted to break our deadlock)
McArthur 7 (cant understand why he was subbed 2nd half instead of Punchoen he was starting to Influence the play and was everywhere)
Puncheon 5 (weak, slow, and wasteful)
Townsend 8 (was the only attacking outlet, took it past players, had decent shots and worked harder than anyone)
Lee 4 (he was starting to come into the 2nd half with some decent play on the left, but that howler is abysmal and de Boer doesnt deserve it)
Benteke 5 (immobile and stranded, looks one dimensional)

Rieldwald 7 (look good and confident)
Lumeka 6 (unlucky with the header, had a good few touches but was generally average)

de Boer 5 (cant really blame him for the defensive howler, and had his plans thrown out the window immediately, the players are looking paralysed by the pressure and with that they make errors trying over lthink because if the change in style, most of the goals we have conceded have been uninstinctional errors which suggests to me the players are trying to play rather than play, maybe there too many instructions and orders for passing etc, I dont agree with him taking off McArthur and Lee was just starting to look bright either take him off at halftime or let him come back into the game; Puncheon; needed subbing so I think ge's subs were strange.

Louis
11-09-2017, 01:29 AM
The way he slumped to the ground in disappointment showed he knew it was a bad miss.

gilesy14
11-09-2017, 02:58 AM
Can't believe I'm seeing TFM get 4's & 5's! For a young defender, against 2 big old school centre forwards, he could've easily been bullied in this game. However, I thought he looked really comfortable & his distribution from the back was superb. He was one of our standout performers for me, alongside Schlupp, Cabaye & Townsend.

Essexeagle
11-09-2017, 03:34 AM
I think Riedewald looked comfortable in midfield. Maybe that's where he'll end up. He was mobile, strong and threading better passes than Punch.

Sharkba1t
11-09-2017, 05:22 AM

I had some sympathy before yesterday for Frank but when I saw Lee in the line up, my sympathy vanished.
Has he done any research on any of the players? Lee is lower lever championship...we all know that having seen him play often enough. Never in a million years should he be in the first team. Yet Frank picks him.
Just F O Frank and take Lee with you before the damage is irreversible.

GorBlimey
11-09-2017, 05:31 AM
I had some sympathy before yesterday for Frank but when I saw Lee in the line up, my sympathy vanished.
Has he done any research on any of the players? Lee is lower lever championship...we all know that having seen him play often enough. Never in a million years should he be in the first team. Yet Frank picks him.
Just F O Frank and take Lee with you before the damage is irreversible.

You're an utter twat.

Giving players a chance to prove themselves or otherwise in a real match is the only way we can move forward. Some will have a really bad day at the office as Chungy had but FdB will be looking at everything in context.

Get behind the club or f*ck off. It's all getting rather tedious now.

IanH
11-09-2017, 05:35 AM
Went to the game. Thought we played well and should have won comfortably. Missed chances cost us. Burnley were poor. The issue we have is that we have some dreadful back up players in the squad who are not Premier League standard - Lee clearly is nowhere near Premier League standard and he is not a winger. As for the results so far, fine lines really - if Benteke scores the sitter at Anfield and the header early at Turf Moor we could have won both away games. The home form is the real worry. Should we set up like Burnley and draw teams on to us so we can counter attack? We did under Pulis.

bubbs11
11-09-2017, 05:41 AM
Obviously 4 at the back works better for our lads at the moment, so why did it take 4 awful games plus a few friendlies to come to that realisation? However, yesterday I still feel we looked disjointed with players not comfortable or knowing exactly what their jobs are.

You look at Burnley once they scored, they were totally comfortable in their own skin to sit back and let us dictate possession. They were lucky in the end to get 3pts yes, but they are a hugely limited side at Premier League level and the fact we've surrendered yet another 3pts to a side we should be getting something from is just a nightmare in survival terms.

Just feels like a total mess to me and I feel the long term damage this time for the season might be irreversible. When this has happened at other clubs I laughed at their naivety as we watched the inevitable relegation play out thinking, 'we'd never be that stupid.' :(

aj4england
11-09-2017, 06:07 AM
Obviously 4 at the back works better for our lads at the moment, so why did it take 4 awful games plus a few friendlies to come to that realisation? However, yesterday I still feel we looked disjointed with players not comfortable or knowing exactly what their jobs are.

You look at Burnley once they scored, they were totally comfortable in their own skin to sit back and let us dictate possession. They were lucky in the end to get 3pts yes, but they are a hugely limited side at Premier League level and the fact we've surrendered yet another 3pts to a side we should be getting something from is just a nightmare in survival terms.

Just feels like a total mess to me and I feel the long term damage this time for the season might be irreversible. When this has happened at other clubs I laughed at their naivety as we watched the inevitable relegation play out thinking, 'we'd never be that stupid.' :(

Spot on players now in relegation anxiety mode to .

Nostrils
11-09-2017, 06:14 AM
Schlupp lashing the ball over the bar from 10 yards out, with no immediate pressure from a defender - that is one of the most pathetic things I've seen a Palace player do recently. So, so poor for a Premier League footballer.

It was horrible, but apart from one over weighted pass to McArthur, I thought he had an excellent game. Quick, strong, direct, some decent crosses put in with pace and exactly the kind of work ethic that PVA hasn't shown this season.

He's not perfect, but he's the kind of player we need right now (maybe with some better accuracy with his shooting boots).

Skintagain
11-09-2017, 06:24 AM
Not sure what the panic is about, the central midfield did very well although its not what I'd have picked wanting to give the back four more cover I'd have had Luka in for Mc Arthur.
The defence struggled a bit at first, Burnley have a muscular approach to the front line. Bit of test for Fosu-Mensa.
WH was fine, who cares he's the whipping boy so we'll get him on something, Ward was fine but again as backup whipping boy lets gloss over that.
Benteke, not so good.

de Boer did everything pretty much right although I might have had Chungy off a bit earlier.

What was missing here was the introduction of a striker late in the game. We have one when we need 4 (maybe 3) in a squad. We are totally dependent on the injuries and form of one bloke.

McpfcS
11-09-2017, 06:29 AM
You're an utter twat.

Giving players a chance to prove themselves or otherwise in a real match is the only way we can move forward. Some will have a really bad day at the office as Chungy had but FdB will be looking at everything in context.

Get behind the club or f*ck off. It's all getting rather tedious now.

But anyone that's ever watched Lee over the last 3 years knows he's not good enough. We don't need to keep giving away points to prove it over and over again as per Hennessey, Kelly, Ward.

Braders
11-09-2017, 06:40 AM
I think Riedewald looked comfortable in midfield. Maybe that's where he'll end up. He was mobile, strong and threading better passes than Punch.

Absolutely spot on, apart from a pass straight into touch :eek: thought Riedewald looked very promising in midfield and was composed with the ball, looks like that could be his position.

McpfcS
11-09-2017, 06:42 AM
Absolutely spot on, apart from a pass straight into touch :eek: thought Riedewald looked very promising in midfield and was composed with the ball, looks like that could be his position.

I think he's always been a better prospect for us in midfield than at CB.

He's too young and inexperienced (in PL terms) to play CB at this stage in his career.

Ron Dogers
11-09-2017, 06:44 AM
The telling point for me was that we are an established prem side now and overall haven't spent big but wouldn't buy a forward, just pi$$ed about when it was too late when a small side like Burnley got a decent forward in and the difference shows.
We were all over them, DVD really had them playing well but simply only had one forward option. If CB gets a crock WTF would we do. Madness

aj4england
11-09-2017, 06:46 AM
Schlupp MOM - Shouldve been moved to winger with PVA coming on.
Dann and Cabaye had good games.
Townsend went from very good to very bad.

Puncheon offered nothing as usual. TFM improved but was caught out positionally a lot.

What cost us? NO SQUAD. No striker or established winger to bring on to freshen it up

Palacebear
11-09-2017, 06:47 AM
We could have shifted punch out wide with Luka central or played van Anholt out wide, he's barely a defender anyways.

I agree with this, I was surprised Lee wasn't hooked sooner and I actually expected to see PVA come on.

DHeagle
11-09-2017, 06:49 AM
Oh come on. Are you really saying 3 friendlies have screwed him up after years of playing pro football? He is surely better than that.

Luka was excellent in most games last year but had 2 or 3 stinkers. I would list them but can't remember which was which now. This season, he really hasn't done well despite being back, sitting in front of the defence. I don't mean he is now a poor player but I do understand why he hasn't been picked. Even more so after a midweek friendly. Whether it's his head or his form, he has to get that right. I think Luka is a very professional player and a 'team man' and I would give him more credit than assume he has been thrown by the friendlies.

Just to add this is an honest view of what I have seen and I am definitely a Luka fan' so have no axe to grind.

Agree with all points, with the caveat that playing in the 3-4-3 system has required him to play more of a box-to-box role. Not that he isn't good enough to do that, but it's a much tougher job than sitting in front of the back four where you can see everything going on in front of you.

Malarkey
11-09-2017, 06:49 AM
Burnley were very lucky. On another day we wouldn't have lost that.

Jordan's Jacket
11-09-2017, 06:53 AM
We did ok. Some good performances throughout. Still very frustrated that Puncheon is playing he really does upset our attacking rhythm and rarely offers anything anywhere on the pitch

sunshine lucas
11-09-2017, 06:56 AM

Said this on the Live thread...

Why do we never try Punch wide now? And yes I know he had one 'take on' wide where he failed late on... but Pulis played him wide and he was pretty effective... Shifted into central midfielder he has become lost IMO...Many say 'what does he do?' And I'm baffled as well... He presses well, shifts the ball around a bit but doesn't do a lot more... Encouraging that he actually had a couple of shots yesterday (both blocked of course) but why don't we put him back wide... Things are desperate enough currently to try something different and I'd rather him wide than Lee and get more strength ine middle....

BillyTKid
11-09-2017, 07:00 AM
It's just so poor that we don't have any backup striker. I think we were well organised and deserved the win yesterday. We could have got it if we had another forward option or two to bring on when we pilling on the pressure.

Essexeagle
11-09-2017, 09:19 AM

Yeah - that was a pretty bad first exchange. But after that he popped up in a lot of good positions, always showed for the ball, passed very accurately in tight areas. Not sure he missed a pass after that initial howler?

Nigelbrag
11-09-2017, 10:00 AM
Hennessey - 6
Ward - 6
Dann - 7
TFM - 5
Schlupp - 7

Cabaye - 7
Puncheon - 5
McArthur - 6

Townsend - 7
Lee - 3
Benteke - 5

Subs
Lumeka - 6
Riedewald - 5

de Boer - 5

Hard to disagree with these ratings, but our attack is so toothless and by not having another proper attacker on the bench to replace Benteke when he needs replacing is a major worry, we desperately need to score goals.
Also we badly need Zaha back, to bring that much needed flair to open up the opposition, and hopefully along with the return of RLC and Sakho and the reintroduction of a back to form Luka will bring much needed quality, and most importantly a stable lineup that can develop an understanding.
Oh boy that can't come quickly enough hopefully before we play the "big 3" up shortly.

Ardent
11-09-2017, 10:22 AM

You obviously didn't see Tomkin's miserable effort against Swansea then, this also resulted in him being injured and out yet again for a few weeks.

Otherwise, except for Lee and Puncheon, a very encouraging performance and with Zaha, Loftus Cheek and Sako to come in some cause for optimism, if only heads don't drop.

SW11 Andy
11-09-2017, 12:27 PM
I think he's always been a better prospect for us in midfield than at CB.

He's too young and inexperienced (in PL terms) to play CB at this stage in his career.

Which begs the question, why was he signed when we needed an experienced CB

Parish out - others can run the admin side, few could run the football side of CPFC worse.
Egotistical knob !!

palace23
11-09-2017, 02:12 PM
But anyone that's ever watched Lee over the last 3 years knows he's not good enough. We don't need to keep giving away points to prove it over and over again as per Hennessey, Kelly, Ward.

And Puncheon.
Some people mention him some are always blaming the three above.
But the main reason for no opportunities created from central positions and no goals is him.
And he is club captain.

I have liked him as a player so think he is just about worth a squad spot for this season but even then unless he starts to shine occasionally, by end of this season or next we should get rid of him completely.

And what most posters forget is that for a new manager which once again we are in the unevitable position of having, because of another pre-season of terrible planning by Parish, (no scouting network after five seasons is laughable) they find it hard to drop the club captain or ascertain what the rest of us have noticed over four seasons, ie: that Henn/Ward/Punch are adequate squad fillers ONLY and not ever present first choices and Kelly / Lee only adequate squad fillers in that order.

When is Alexander going to be sacked and a competent Premiership-class Chief Executive appointed as well!!!

That said once RLC and Wilf are fit we have a good midfield again as long as Benteke takes one of the chances then created and isn't injured.

regal_eagle
11-09-2017, 05:40 PM
Have any suspicious betting movements been reported or brown envelopes been delivered to the club today with C.Y.L. written on them?

It wouldn't surprise me after the job-losing dross he served up yesterday. The back-pass after looking up and the cancelled flick of the boot at JimmyMc's header (and resultant stare from him) had alarm bells ringing for me.

Stuart O'Keefe did less (back pass v Chelsea) and paid for it with his job.

(the views above are not an accusation)

Martin H
11-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Have any suspicious betting movements been reported or brown envelopes been delivered to the club today with C.Y.L. written on them?

It wouldn't surprise me after the job-losing dross he served up yesterday. The back-pass after looking up and the cancelled flick of the boot at JimmyMc's header (and resultant stare from him) had alarm bells ringing for me.

Stuart O'Keefe did less (back pass v Chelsea) and paid for it with his job.

(the views above are not an accusation)

I think there would have to be one with SD on it too though. I still can't work out how that header was missed.

Chas
11-09-2017, 05:54 PM

But then you say nothing about the 10 for Lee. Gonna go out on a limb and say that that post wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Chas
11-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Shame that Lee cannot put the same kind of ball thru to Benteke that he did for Wood today.

I can't even remember the last time we tried a ball like that...Townsend's ball the Benteke to start the attack that led to Benteke's chip at Stamford Bridge?

Martin H
11-09-2017, 06:01 PM
I can't even remember the last time we tried a ball like that...Townsend's ball the Benteke to start the attack that led to Benteke's chip at Stamford Bridge?

Someone played a nice ball through for Benteke but he didn't power past the defender - who stayed with him. Was it from Cabaye maybe? Can't remember now.

grand aigle
11-09-2017, 06:27 PM
I agree with this, I was surprised Lee wasn't hooked sooner and I actually expected to see PVA come on.

Yet strangely 12 people have Lee as MOM! Are they weed fans or just having a ******* laugh?

EaglesSnapBack
11-09-2017, 06:57 PM
Does anyone else think that TFM is really really good? I think when you watch the games on TV sometimes you get a weird impression but I was really impressed by him and I think when Sakho starts playing our defense will be solid AF!

regal_eagle
11-09-2017, 07:25 PM
I think there would have to be one with SD on it too though. I still can't work out how that header was missed.

Because he's not a striker. Mind you, I'd suggest the calls for him to play for England in defence were pretty wide of the mark also..

regal_eagle
11-09-2017, 07:27 PM

There have been countless times in the past few months where the simple little through ball has been overlooked in favour of some long-winded way of getting there, allowing the defenders to get back. Whoever comes in I hope knows how to coach through balls.

Biggineagle
11-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Voted Chungy best defence splitting pass I have seen this season. Nice.

Mr Palace
11-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Two games having to put Dann up front at the end of games tells us all we need to know about our options in the final third. We have none. Don't blame Dann for missing that - he's not a striker.

Panther
11-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Two games having to put Dann up front at the end of games tells us all we need to know about our options in the final third. We have none. Don't blame Dann for missing that - he's not a striker.

He's scored enough headed goals in the past to be expected to bury that one though.

Mr Palace
11-09-2017, 08:23 PM
He's scored enough headed goals in the past to be expected to bury that one though.

Maybe but we shouldn't need to be playing a defender up front in any games, let alone so soon into the season. It's a nightmare how light we are up front.