PDA

View Full Version : Mentions of Roy Hodgson as a Palace schoolboy in old programmes/memorabilia?

Dorking .Eagle
13-09-2017, 05:48 AM
Not in any way doubting that Roy Hodgson was a Palace schoolboy circa 1965/66 - it is well documented and not disputed.

I have looked in the yearbooks of that time, and there is no mention of him. Playing for Palace schoolboys was of course a step below the apprentices and amateurs (of which Steve Kember was one back then)

Just curious really and wondered if any of our more avid collectors of programmes and keepers of scrapbooks and cuttings have anything original such as mentions in match reports or line-ups which mention his name from waaaaay back then?

CP Satellite
13-09-2017, 09:58 AM
The 'Hodgson Mystery' has been puzzling me for years also.

My wife had two cousins that both played for Palace juniors in mid to late 1960's, they are both in this picture, which I'm guessing is circa 1966 because that is the last year before we reverted back to Claret and Blue (or light blue and thin claret stripes if I'm right?) - anyway I posted this in another thread, I know it's not great quality, but one or two lads do look a bit like Roy - maybe someone knows.

I like the story I heard about Roy Hodgson's Dad, a scouser, who was a South Croydon bus driver, who also had a Mr Kember as his clippie (ticket collector) - Steve Kember's dad!

Slightly off thread, one of the first black players to play for Palace - Chick Maynard (the first, I think, was Tony Collins in the late 1950's) - also featured in Palace reserve teams of the mid 60's - you can see a great photo of him if you look up his name on Getty Images- maybe that's a young Roy Hodgson in the background of that photo?!

https://s25.postimg.org/qe9yy3gb3/2017-06-18_11.22.10.jpg

Eastern Boy
13-09-2017, 11:05 AM
My monies on Roy being second from left, bottom row. Does look like him?

CPFC Since 68
13-09-2017, 03:07 PM
If it is 1966 that would have made him 19 at the time so cant be right unless its an earlier photo. He could look very young for his age though :)

CJ PLUM
13-09-2017, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=CP Satellite;13843234] I like the story I heard about Roy Hodgson's Dad, a scouser, who was a South Croydon bus driver, who also had a Mr Kember as his clippie (ticket collector) - Steve Kember's dad!

Not a true story as Steve Kember's dad was a policeman.

old git
13-09-2017, 03:32 PM
Tony Blair bottom row, far left.

Harry Bassett
13-09-2017, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=CP Satellite;13843234] I like the story I heard about Roy Hodgson's Dad, a scouser, who was a South Croydon bus driver, who also had a Mr Kember as his clippie (ticket collector) - Steve Kember's dad!

Not a true story as Steve Kember's dad was a policeman.

It is a true story but Kembers dad was also in the in the police.

Harry Bassett
13-09-2017, 04:10 PM

My wife had two cousins that both played for Palace juniors in mid to late 1960's, they are both in this picture, which I'm guessing is circa 1966 because that is the last year before we reverted back to Claret and Blue (or light blue and thin claret stripes if I'm right?) - anyway I posted this in another thread, I know it's not great quality, but one or two lads do look a bit like Roy - maybe someone knows.

I like the story I heard about Roy Hodgson's Dad, a scouser, who was a South Croydon bus driver, who also had a Mr Kember as his clippie (ticket collector) - Steve Kember's dad!

Slightly off thread, one of the first black players to play for Palace - Chick Maynard (the first, I think, was Tony Collins in the late 1950's) - also featured in Palace reserve teams of the mid 60's - you can see a great photo of him if you look up his name on Getty Images- maybe that's a young Roy Hodgson in the background of that photo?!

Just a minor point but a "clippie" was a reference to female bus conductress:cool:

CP Satellite
13-09-2017, 07:17 PM
Just a minor point but a "clippie" was a reference to female bus conductress:cool:

Move along please.

MAW
15-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Wikipedia (yes, I know) states that Roy's youth career was 1963-65 and his senior career 1965-66, although he did not appear in the first team.

I am not sure if this is correct. Can anyone confirm?

I understand he then moved to Sutton United and played in their reserves 1966-67 but Wikipedia states Tonbridge Angels 1966-1969.

Is there a biography / autobiography which mentions his time at Palace?

Maidstoned Eagle
15-09-2017, 03:54 PM

I 'ate you Basset.......

big bad John
15-09-2017, 06:30 PM
Joe Hart's aged quite well.

Sleeping Giant
15-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Must be bottom middle no?

ian king
15-09-2017, 06:58 PM
I am virtually 100% certain that Roy never made the Reserves team at Palace and also did not play in any of the Youth Cup ties at the time. My details for the Southern Junior Floodlit Cup are more sketchy. Perhaps Tony1947 could help here.

Dorking .Eagle
15-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Keep digging guys, there must be an authentic name check somewhere!

Ruskin Old Boy
15-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Might help in an ID - Roy H (centre) in the John Ruskin School photograph taken in 1962

big bad John
15-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Might help in an ID - Roy H (centre) in the John Ruskin School photograph taken in 1962

good work ROB. Is that Parish's old fella in front of him on the right." When you make it big son, make sure you give a job to my old mates."

Ruskin Old Boy
15-09-2017, 07:38 PM
good work ROB. Is that Parish's old fella in front of him on the right." When you make it big son, make sure you give a job to my old mates."

:D

Remembered one more thing about Steve K - his brother Keith became a policeman like their dad.

big bad John
15-09-2017, 09:12 PM
:D

Remembered one more thing about Steve K - his brother Keith became a policeman like their dad.

I think he had a brother or cousin called Robin who might have been on Palace's books for a short while. I played against him when he played for Whytleafe

Purepalace
16-09-2017, 01:17 AM

How do you explain the absence of a club badge?

"In 1964 Palace played Real Madrid in a friendly to celebrate the installation of their new floodlights. For the next two seasons they wore an all white kit similar to the European Champions adorned with a simple crest in red, white and blue."
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Crystal_Palace/Crystal_Palace.htm

tony 1947
16-09-2017, 06:57 AM
I am virtually 100% certain that Roy never made the Reserves team at Palace and also did not play in any of the Youth Cup ties at the time. My details for the Southern Junior Floodlit Cup are more sketchy. Perhaps Tony1947 could help here.

Sorry at the moment cannot find any mention. Certainly not in any Youth Cup games I have details about.

jimmy the gent
17-09-2017, 03:04 PM
He is the Kaiser Souze of Crystal Palace it seems.

HRP
17-09-2017, 03:13 PM
Not in any way doubting that Roy Hodgson was a Palace schoolboy circa 1965/66 -

I have looked in the yearbooks of that time, and there is no mention of him. Playing for Palace schoolboys was of course a step below the apprentices and amateurs (of which Steve Kember was one back then)

It's along the lines of Parish being a lifelong palace fan story