PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: £40m January War Chest for Hodgson.

Pages : [1] 2

4 cryingOutloud
13-09-2017, 11:38 PM
Apparently, Roy has been told he has £40m to spend in January, plus anything he gets for players he sells. I wonder if that's what stopped the completion of some transfers, if the club knew that DeBore was departing.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/853757/Crystal-Palace-News-Roy-Hodgson-40m-relegation-scrap-Chris-Hughton-Brighton-News

Green Bin
14-09-2017, 04:42 AM
Apparently, Roy has been told he has £40m to spend in January, plus anything he gets for players he sells. I wonder if that's what stopped the completion of some transfers, if the club knew that DeBore was departing.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/853757/Crystal-Palace-News-Roy-Hodgson-40m-relegation-scrap-Chris-Hughton-Brighton-News

Would seem to be a very strange thing to do...leave ourselves short of a proper goalkeeper, a right back and at least one back up striker to January, when we will overpay anyway to make up for the deficiencies we have and the position in the table. We over-paid for two left sided players last Jan. and whilst I think in Schlupp we have a decent and versatile player, from what I have seen of PVA this season that £14M looks like robbery.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cabaye is off in January, which will be another place to fill, not forgetting of course that RLC isn't ours either so come the summer we will need to rebuild the midfield

cpfcfan1
14-09-2017, 06:16 AM
If we gave De Boer 40 million wed end up with Van Persie

CharlieCPFC
14-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Goalkeeper
Winger
Number 10
Striker

Nostrils
14-09-2017, 06:26 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if we're not going to bother filling up a space with a free agent just in case we can't get rid of a few in the window. Personally, I'd sell them at a bit of a loss, but it's not my money I suppose.

£40m should buy:
Tosun,
Skorupski or the other youngster we almost got deadline day,
Winger.

I'm hoping that the first two were on Freedman's radar and we're still in for them.

spt1978
14-09-2017, 06:39 AM
Sounds like rubbish, why leave the squad bare now and risk being cut adrift at the bottom. January window offers even less value than the summer window.

cpfcfan1
14-09-2017, 06:42 AM
Lee, mutch, sako out

Malarkey
14-09-2017, 06:43 AM
Brahimi

Spindle
14-09-2017, 06:50 AM
Chris Hughton can do one

Brighton manager Chris Hughton reckons De Boer’s sacking strengthens the case for the introduction of a window to limit the hiring and firing of managers.

He supports the view there should be a restriction on clubs making changes in the dug-out that mirrors the transfer window for players – although he admits trigger-happy owners are unlikely to agree.

CPFC85
14-09-2017, 06:50 AM
Simples. Goalkeeper and a Forward.

Spindle
14-09-2017, 06:53 AM
Sounds like rubbish, why leave the squad bare now and risk being cut adrift at the bottom. January window offers even less value than the summer window.

Getting rid of Mutch and Sako, then replacing them with pot plants will improve the squad

beef
14-09-2017, 06:55 AM
Who are we going to war with?

Eagle's Nest
14-09-2017, 06:56 AM
Out:

Mutch
Lee
Sako
Kelly

In:
GK
Striker
No.10
RB
Winger

Pokerface
14-09-2017, 07:03 AM

Sounds a bit that way:

"We are also disappointed as there were another couple of deals we wanted to do that didn't get done - but the positive news of that is we have some money left over for January now".

http://m.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/steve-parish-my-delight-at-landing-mamadou-sakho-from-liverpool-for-crystal-palace/story-30501284-detail/story.html

S.P.R.
14-09-2017, 07:09 AM
This fits, as I seem to remember a quote just after deadline day by SP when talking about the two we missed out on, saying we have a bit of money for January.

There was also a rumour that we bid 18m earlier in the window for a young Italian keeper but, forget who it was now, so that would suggest there is decent money available.

aj4england
14-09-2017, 07:18 AM
This fits, as I seem to remember a quote just after deadline day by SP when talking about the two we missed out on, saying we have a bit of money for January.

There was also a rumour that we bid 18m earlier in the window for a young Italian keeper but, forget who it was now, so that would suggest there is decent money available.

Scott Flinders, the second coming

teesdale99
14-09-2017, 07:28 AM
Out:

Mutch
Lee
Sako
Kelly

In:
GK
Striker
No.10
RB
Winger
The theory is good. However in practice who is going to want to buy and pay the wages of any of those four players? There is such disparity between our best 14 players and the rest of our squad. Look at Ledley, a stalwart of our squad for 3 or 4 years, rapid deterioration over 18 months or so and now can't find a club even though he is a free agent. We had to wait until Campbell's contract expired before we could get rid of him as no one would pay a transfer fee and his wages and I'm afraid it's the same with the 4 you mentioned.

We may look to sell pva? we have gone from having no left back to 4 that can play there assuming souare makes a full recovery plus schlupp and reidewald. Delaney won't get any football unless we get 4 or 5 injuries to centre backs - time to send him off for a final season in the championship?

I certainly agree with the positions that need filling.

Stavros 69
14-09-2017, 07:40 AM
Striker
Winger
No.10

Sell - all the dross, just get rid of them quickly.

Latvian Eagle
14-09-2017, 07:41 AM

Only keepers I can see being worth that are Simone Scuffet or Alex Meret both Udinese keepers but they know they can't keep both so will eventually have to sell one. Meret is currently back out on loan at SPAL for the season.

Meret seems to fit the profile as talk of other clubs including Napoli offering about €17m for him.

pR9QohVsTH0

UpRI4LdNUk4

out vile jelly
14-09-2017, 07:52 AM
Would seem to be a very strange thing to do...leave ourselves short of a proper goalkeeper, a right back and at least one back up striker to January, when we will overpay anyway to make up for the deficiencies we have and the position in the table. We over-paid for two left sided players last Jan. and whilst I think in Schlupp we have a decent and versatile player, from what I have seen of PVA this season that £14M looks like robbery.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cabaye is off in January, which will be another place to fill, not forgetting of course that RLC isn't ours either so come the summer we will need to rebuild the midfield
I actually think Van A is a really talented footballer but is just woeful when not on form. If Hodgson can get what Allardyce could out of him then I still think he can be a great player for us.

desperado
14-09-2017, 07:53 AM
Out:

Mutch
Lee
Sako
Kelly

In:
GK
Striker
No.10
RB
Winger

We had three months to do that during the summer and didn't get any of it done

It will be even harder in January to get quality and value in and move the dead wood out

Latvian Eagle
14-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Just found this... Seems it was Genoa's Mattia Perin we made a bid for. Great keeper. Only problem for me is that he has done both of his cruciate ligaments in the last two seasons. :eek:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/crystal-palace-mystery-pl-club-made-late-18m-bid-24-year-old-goalkeeper/

OriginalNutter
14-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Sounds a bit that way:

"We are also disappointed as there were another couple of deals we wanted to do that didn't get done - but the positive news of that is we have some money left over for January now".

http://m.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/steve-parish-my-delight-at-landing-mamadou-sakho-from-liverpool-for-crystal-palace/story-30501284-detail/story.html

Until by some miracle we rise up to midtable ish, and then the squad is deemed god enough and they push the money back under the bed.

west eagle
14-09-2017, 08:04 AM
Just hope we are still intouch then, if the 1st 11 keep fit we should be fine, when the injuries and suspensions start to hit all the lower 12 clubs suffer and the newly promoted more than most.

bern5161
14-09-2017, 08:06 AM
If we gave De Boer 40 million wed end up with Van Persie

Playing right wing back?

dave_who_ru
14-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Surely it all depends where we are at Christmas.

If we were cut adrift at the foot of the table chucking another £40m at the problem wouldn't make sense. We will just end up overpaying for players happy to take a possible pay cut if we end up in the Championship.

James SG
14-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Out:

Mutch
Lee
Sako
Kelly

In:
GK
Striker
No.10
RB
Winger

Sounds like what was being said in the summer.... and probably the previous summer....

glaziers fan
14-09-2017, 08:26 AM
None of our fringe players, with the possible exception of one of the 3 left backs, are worth much at all. So I reckon £40m might not be enough!

Anyway, in the January window I hope for the following:

Top class No1 goalkeeper
Jack Wilshere
Young winger
Wickham return to fitness

We will need to do business because otherwise we will need to bring in 8 or 9 in the summer, which would be a big ask. By the way, I reckon we will be safe in mid-table by January. And what we require will depend on the formation we play.

PJJY
14-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Clearly not very easy to shift the deadwood.

Disparity in wages between PL and other leagues means that, generally, the only realistic buyers are the 19 clubs above us - and who's going to want Sako, Lee, Mutch etc.?

Selhurst Celtic
14-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Who are we going to war with?

Brighton.

Gollum
14-09-2017, 08:30 AM
If Souare if properly fit, then we can afford to release and sell one of the left backs. Probably Van Annholt.

ForzaPalace
14-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Be lucky to sign one player with that

The12thman
14-09-2017, 09:06 AM
Lee almost went to Bolton on loan but we didn't do it due to lack of cover.

I can see Lee and Mutch going on loan in Jan but no one buying them on a perm transfer.

Kelly might go if he's not playing and teams get injures and see him as cheap cover.

Sakho I just don't know. We got £4m bids last year but he wanted to stay and fight for his place and Sam was short of cover. V quiet this summer. Someone might loan him/buy in Jan.

Those 4 would save us a bit in wages even if a portion is covered by loans but would prob only get us £6-7m in fees max I think.

glaziers fan
14-09-2017, 09:15 AM
I actually think Van A is a really talented footballer but is just woeful when not on form. If Hodgson can get what Allardyce could out of him then I still think he can be a great player for us.

Yes. I think out of PVA, Schlupp and Souare that PVA is the best footballer. Souare is the best crosser, but Schlupp is the best defender.

xian1
14-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Amazing that we couldn't pick any of the players on the shortlist. Burke was obviously one of them. Let's hope we manage to hold on to the pack until January. 3 fit left backs seems like a bit of a luxury too ...

SilentAssassin
14-09-2017, 09:39 AM
We had three months to do that during the summer and didn't get any of it done

It will be even harder in January to get quality and value in and move the dead wood out

No one even attempted to shift any of them bar Mutch on loan by what was said about our transfer strategy.
I think it would be easier to shift them come January. Thier contracts will have run down and sadly for us, we will probably get less but it is surely better to cut our losses with the likes of Mutch and Lee?

Old Joe Paxton
14-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Lee almost went to Bolton on loan but we didn't do it due to lack of cover.

I can see Lee and Mutch going on loan in Jan but no one buying them on a perm transfer.

Kelly might go if he's not playing and teams get injures and see him as cheap cover.

Sakho I just don't know. We got £4m bids last year but he wanted to stay and fight for his place and Sam was short of cover. V quiet this summer. Someone might loan him/buy in Jan.

Those 4 would save us a bit in wages even if a portion is covered by loans but would prob only get us £6-7m in fees max I think.

Sako

Son of Ron
14-09-2017, 09:43 AM
why do we come out with this stuff....now when we want a £15m striker in Jan, they know "Roy has a £40m war chest" so that striker is now £25m please Palace.

eastend eagle
14-09-2017, 09:56 AM
Very much hoping there's a missplaced h in there :p.

JamTheEagle
14-09-2017, 09:59 AM
Hope this is true but i'll believe it when I see it.

In before no signings until deadline day, once again.

ForzaPalace
14-09-2017, 10:31 AM
Hope this is true but i'll believe it when I see it.

In before no signings until deadline day, once again.

Will gladly put money on us signing no one.

Terrace Bickle
14-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Yes. I think out of PVA, Schlupp and Souare that PVA is the best footballer. Souare is the best crosser, but Schlupp is the best defender.
Maybe we can get special dispensation for all 3 to share a shirt on match days.

jamieb73
14-09-2017, 10:50 AM
There is no way in hell we have £40m available to spend in January. We don't have the money, are making a loss and will only spend that if we were to sell some players for serious money.80% of our income goes on player wages and agents.

Mictor Voses
14-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Goalkeeper
Winger
Number 10
Striker

With £40m to spend we'd have to go to League 1 to get all of those.

Martin H
14-09-2017, 10:55 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if we're not going to bother filling up a space with a free agent just in case we can't get rid of a few in the window. Personally, I'd sell them at a bit of a loss, but it's not my money I suppose.

£40m should buy:
Tosun,
Skorupski or the other youngster we almost got deadline day,
Winger.

I'm hoping that the first two were on Freedman's radar and we're still in for them.

We resubmit the 25 in January - so that can't be the reason.

Martin H
14-09-2017, 11:05 AM
It's difficult to distinguish I know but this point is about the club not FDB.

Why didn't the club jettison it's baggage train of unwanted players in the Summer? That hasn't been the Manager's job (other than to say yes or no) up until now and I can't see why we didn't get rid of any (other than Mandanda who had to fight to leave by all accounts).

In addition, if we really had £40m why didn't we spend at least another £25-30m of it in the window that has just closed when prices are cheaper, there is more choice and we get the benefit throughout the whole season? It just seems suicidal on the clubs part even allowing for issues/doubts over the Manager. So a budget of £75-80m plus player sales would have allowed a significant refresh of the squad together player sales and loans.

I have to assume the sudden hike in prices, an over optimistic view of 'final day availability plus the odd every day, screw up has combined to a perfect storm. Sheesh

Richwak
14-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Would love Thomas Delaney from Werder Bremen

Eagle's Nest
14-09-2017, 11:32 AM
The theory is good. However in practice who is going to want to buy and pay the wages of any of those four players? There is such disparity between our best 14 players and the rest of our squad. Look at Ledley, a stalwart of our squad for 3 or 4 years, rapid deterioration over 18 months or so and now can't find a club even though he is a free agent. We had to wait until Campbell's contract expired before we could get rid of him as no one would pay a transfer fee and his wages and I'm afraid it's the same with the 4 you mentioned.

We may look to sell pva? we have gone from having no left back to 4 that can play there assuming souare makes a full recovery plus schlupp and reidewald. Delaney won't get any football unless we get 4 or 5 injuries to centre backs - time to send him off for a final season in the championship?

I certainly agree with the positions that need filling.

I agree it's tricky. Just have to hope some other clubs get desperate.

Obviously all of them will come back and score against us.

In terms of the 'ins' we need to have more of the Wood from Leeds to Burnley deals. 15m was a snip for one of British football's most recent prolific strikers.

Tomo
14-09-2017, 11:33 AM
Part speculation, part of something I was told…
I was told Club had players lined up that were identified with Allardyce. FdB said he wanted to check the squad out too before deciding, and then decided he didn’t want those players.
Speculating, that after knowing what positions he wanted, he wasn’t as good at identifying players that he wanted, and those that he had, concerned the board i.e. Reiderwald being too small.
This meant that the board were concerned about backing him too heavily, particularly knowing that it was likely he’d be gone pretty soon, meaning budget is available now.

JamTheEagle
14-09-2017, 11:42 AM
One of the main problems with us changing our manager so often over the past few years is that it has allowed the dross to remain at the club as they get given a new chance each time.

GreatGonzo
14-09-2017, 11:47 AM
There is no way in hell we have £40m available to spend in January. We don't have the money, are making a loss and will only spend that if we were to sell some players for serious money.80% of our income goes on player wages and agents.

The last set of accounts were the first to show a loss in the PL. In that time we still have a surplus. Think it is closer to 70% on wages but only the accounts in a few months will show us that with the increased TV deal.

Oh and if you are using the profit and loss accounts to justify whether we are likely to sign a player, then transfer fees are depreciated over the length of the contract.

GreatGonzo
14-09-2017, 11:52 AM
It's difficult to distinguish I know but this point is about the club not FDB.

Why didn't the club jettison it's baggage train of unwanted players in the Summer? That hasn't been the Manager's job (other than to say yes or no) up until now and I can't see why we didn't get rid of any (other than Mandanda who had to fight to leave by all accounts). Have you tried selling your rubbish instead of having the council collect it? Fact is our deadwood is not good enough for the wages they are on so no-one will take them.

In addition, if we really had £40m why didn't we spend at least another £25-30m of it in the window that has just closed when prices are cheaper, there is more choice and we get the benefit throughout the whole season? It just seems suicidal on the clubs part even allowing for issues/doubts over the Manager. So a budget of £75-80m plus player sales would have allowed a significant refresh of the squad together player sales and loans. We were reportedly in for several players on deadline day even after the Sakho deal was done, therefore we were trying to spend the money. Some reports suggest FDB kept saying no.

I have to assume the sudden hike in prices, an over optimistic view of 'final day availability plus the odd every day, screw up has combined to a perfect storm. Sheesh

We certainly need to do better in the window in future.

Martin H
14-09-2017, 11:54 AM
I was told Club had players lined up that were identified with Allardyce. FdB said he wanted to check the squad out too before deciding, and then decided he didn’t want those players.
Speculating, that after knowing what positions he wanted, he wasn’t as good at identifying players that he wanted, and those that he had, concerned the board i.e. Reiderwald being too small.
This meant that the board were concerned about backing him too heavily, particularly knowing that it was likely he’d be gone pretty soon, meaning budget is available now.

I don't think Jairo is too small to play in a 3, as long as he gets up well and is physically strong (TBH I don't think I can tell so far having seen very little game time back there). Playing him in a 2 could be far more of a struggle. Obviously it's better if you are taller. To digress - I wonder how Bobby Moore or Colin Todd would fair these days. I just looked up how tall Bobby was and one site said he was 6'2". If he was really that tall I think he must have shrunk in the wash when I saw him play. :)

Jim Cannon
14-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Chris Hughton can do one

well I assume the next time Chris finds himself out of work he will do the honourable thing and reject any approaches from clubs interested in him should it be mid season

JDawg
14-09-2017, 11:58 AM
We've got to stop doing this

Owngoal
14-09-2017, 12:03 PM
All this 40 million and links to Jack w are all press speculation to make a story out of nothing. I will pay attention when the next window opens

RisZero
14-09-2017, 12:07 PM
So anyone who has followed him closely, how has Roy been in previous transfer windows? What kind of players does he tend to go for?

TAK
14-09-2017, 12:19 PM

I heard something similar. We had a keeper all agreed and about to sign. When FDB came on board he cancelled it.

andyocpfc
14-09-2017, 12:22 PM
God I hate the term 'War chest'. It sounds so over the top and immature.

Jim Cannon
14-09-2017, 12:23 PM
So anyone who has followed him closely, how has Roy been in previous transfer windows? What kind of players does he tend to go for?

Paul Konchesky

Martin H
14-09-2017, 12:25 PM
God I hate the term 'War chest'. It sounds so over the top and immature.

Alternatives?

Pot of gold, loadsamoney, transfer stash, jackpot, escape cash.

It's pretty accurate because it is something that is held back for something that might happen later.

TWELLSEagle
14-09-2017, 12:25 PM

Bang on. Can we merge them?!

CommercialStone
14-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Out:

Mutch
Lee
Sako
Kelly

In:
GK
Striker
No.10
RB
Winger

If we want to improve the team, we will probably only be able to afford 2 players.....

Palace Bear
14-09-2017, 12:34 PM
why do we come out with this stuff....now when we want a £15m striker in Jan, they know "Roy has a £40m war chest" so that striker is now £25m please Palace.

Who has come out with it?

Russboy
14-09-2017, 12:36 PM

Extraordinary (if true) that seemingly none of this was discussed at the interview stage.

Calmc
14-09-2017, 12:40 PM

Danny Murphy on the debate last night went over this and said he was smart in the window. At fulham he brought in the likes of zamora, Gera, Duff. Now all be it they aint going to set the world alight but they were all experienced and he got the best out of them!

GreatGonzo
14-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Extraordinary (if true) that seemingly none of this was discussed at the interview stage.

Why do you think none of it was discussed at interview?

Could be it WAS discussed and therefore this is why FDB has gone so quickly.

CharlieCPFC
14-09-2017, 12:46 PM
With £40m to spend we'd have to go to League 1 to get all of those.

Depends on what market you're looking at.

Skorupski - £6M
Traore up to £15M
Tosun £10M
That would leave £10Mish for a number 10 although not a priority with Loftus Cheek.

andyocpfc
14-09-2017, 12:46 PM
Alternatives?

Pot of gold, loadsamoney, transfer stash, jackpot, escape cash.

It's pretty accurate because it is something that is held back for something that might happen later.

No idea really. Just using the term 'war' in relation to football seems way over the top.

War is a state of armed conflict between societies. It is generally characterized by extreme aggression, destruction, and mortality, using regular or irregular military forces. An absence of war is usually called "peace".

Latvian Eagle
14-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Skorupski - £6M
Traore up to £15M
Tosun £10M
That would leave £10Mish for a number 10 although not a priority with Loftus Cheek.

Rather spend a bit more and get Mattia Perin or Alex Meret as a proper long term top tier goalkeeper. ;)

Skorupski is decent but I think we should aim higher.

Eaglesmad123
14-09-2017, 12:54 PM
I believe it when we see it. Lots of names mentioned but bids put in at 10.30 on deadline day. It would be nice if deals were done before the window.

desperado
14-09-2017, 12:56 PM

When he was at Fulham one of the first signings he made in the January transfer window was Brede Hangeland, who he had worked with before, to shore up the defence

After staying up in the summer window he bought dependable experienced Premier League players such as Mark Schwarzer, Zoltan Gera, Damien Duff, Jimmy Bullard, Andrew Johnson and 'discovered' teenager Chris Smalling

Nothing exciting just solid signings that you know what you are going to get. The type of signings I would expect Pulis or Allardyce to make at a club the size of Fulham, Palace or West Brom

CommercialStone
14-09-2017, 12:57 PM

Skorupski - £6M
Traore up to £15M
Tosun £10M

It's not Football Manager though is it?

Players cost more in January and plus clubs will know we are "desperate".

dave_who_ru
14-09-2017, 01:03 PM
No one even attempted to shift any of them bar Mutch on loan by what was said about our transfer strategy.
I think it would be easier to shift them come January. Thier contracts will have run down and sadly for us, we will probably get less but it is surely better to cut our losses with the likes of Mutch and Lee?

We are losing so much on managers that another couple of million won't matter in the long run.

Based on what we were rumoured to have paid for both they are probably valued in the accounts at c£2.5m.

AJ
14-09-2017, 01:12 PM
SA preferred to play Shlupp over PvA on many occasions, which says to me that SA didnt rate him as a lb and probably realized we vastly overpaid for him.

Maidstoned Eagle
14-09-2017, 01:19 PM
No idea really. Just using the term 'war' in relation to football seems way over the top.

War is a state of armed conflict between societies. It is generally characterized by extreme aggression, destruction, and mortality, using regular or irregular military forces. An absence of war is usually called "peace".

You ever been to a Palace Brighton game?

Russboy
14-09-2017, 01:20 PM
Why do you think none of it was discussed at interview?

Could be it WAS discussed and therefore this is why FDB has gone so quickly.

Possibly. Maybe de Boer went along with the names suggested at the interview and then turned around and said I want these targets instead, which were not considered upgrades or suitable for the Prem by SP. There was a claim on here SP knew he made a mistake within 2 weeks of the appointment. Maybe transfers were the first indicator, and why business was conducted (or should I say attempted) so late in the window.

Maidstoned Eagle
14-09-2017, 01:20 PM
SA preferred to play Shlupp over PvA on many occasions, which says to me that SA didnt rate him as a lb and probably realized we vastly overpaid for him.

And PvA was injured.

Sharkba1t
14-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Striker
Winger
No.10

Sell - all the dross, just get rid of them quickly.

This :

Chungy can just eff off, personally don't care if we get a £10 for him.
Kelly can go too, though in fairness he always tried his best, even if that usually fell short.
Ward and Delaney too can go.

Getting rid of those lot immediately reduces our mistake(s) risk level.

Sharkba1t
14-09-2017, 01:26 PM

Wonder if its a story put out to make the existing players fear for their places.
Most haven't been too bothered so far this season, it seems!

EagleSE24
14-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Will be interesting to see how the club play it based on our league position. If we're adrift will we spend nothing? Will we look for players who can do a job in the Championship without breaking the bank? If we're in touch with our rivals will we look for PL ready players on big money and just go for it?

jimmy the gent
14-09-2017, 01:36 PM

Parish was bored of interviewing people at that point apparently.

PeterH
14-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Getting rid of Mutch and Sako, then replacing them with pot plants will improve the squad

It'll improve the entrance to the executive areas.

Nostrils
14-09-2017, 02:13 PM

Skorupski - £6M
Traore up to £15M
Tosun £10M
If Tosun was rumoured to be £12m in the summer, I bet we'd end up paying £15 in January. I hope we still get him though.

andyocpfc
14-09-2017, 02:14 PM
You ever been to a Palace Brighton game?

Well of course I have, numerous times and Milwall home and away (including petrol bombs being set off in the mid 90s at the New Den) but as I said, just using the term war is very over dramatical.

Lombardo's hair
14-09-2017, 02:26 PM
I don't believe we would adverise how much money we have available. It is silly to do so. I do find it strange when club's say how much a manager has available to spend.Makes negotiting difficult. £10 mill? But you have another £30 mill make it £25 mill.
It was why CB probably cost so much as Liverpool knew we'd just got £25mill for Yala

Bryan
14-09-2017, 02:32 PM
Why are there 500+ people on the transfer thread?

windy
14-09-2017, 02:43 PM

18 members and 500 guests, WTF???

4 cryingOutloud
14-09-2017, 02:46 PM

Bit like the January sales, they're camped out waiting for it to open. :supergrin:

ForzaPalace
14-09-2017, 02:46 PM
If Tosun was rumoured to be £12m in the summer, I bet we'd end up paying £15 in January. I hope we still get him though.

After the start to the season he's had it will be closer to £20m. Well done again, Parish :wallbash:

in-exile
14-09-2017, 03:32 PM
Sell Benteke buy Tammy Abraham's from Chelsea ..

GreatGonzo
14-09-2017, 03:37 PM
Will be interesting to see how the club play it based on our league position. If we're adrift will we spend nothing? Will we look for players who can do a job in the Championship without breaking the bank? If we're in touch with our rivals will we look for PL ready players on big money and just go for it?

What if we are mid-table?

gold76
14-09-2017, 03:50 PM

Am not a boo boy or a hater at all but PVA was pub player esque against Swansea and rightly hoiked at half time

Reps AJ
14-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Goalkeeper
Winger
Number 10
Striker

That was the summer shopping list

We got 3 centre halves instead

Nigelbrag
14-09-2017, 04:05 PM
The blessing in disguise will be having the next Four months to access his squad properly of strengths and weaknesses before making his move in the window. Who those players would be i would not even hazard a guess, but with his contacts home and abroad will ensure they will be thoroughly researched hopefully.
I can see RH making many of his doubters eat their words come May....... I HOPE!!!!

Nostrils
14-09-2017, 04:18 PM
The blessing in disguise will be having the next Four months to access his squad properly of strengths and weaknesses before making his move in the window. Who those players would be i would not even hazard a guess, but with his contacts home and abroad will ensure they will be thoroughly researched hopefully.
I can see RH making many of his doubters eat their words come May....... I HOPE!!!!

Good shout, decent backup for Wilf.

Nigelbrag
14-09-2017, 04:24 PM
Good shout, decent backup for Wilf.

Clever way of disguising it in One sentence, well spotted.:p

Ogilvy
14-09-2017, 04:27 PM
That was the summer shopping list

We got 3 centre halves instead

We all dream of a team of centre backs

Palaceguard
14-09-2017, 06:07 PM

Skorupski - £6M
Traore up to £15M
Tosun £10M

Adama? From Boro?

That young Maddison lad at Norwich Parish was keen on but ended up choosing them a couple of windows ago might be a decent cheaper option in the number 10 role

RCUK
14-09-2017, 06:10 PM
We've proverbially told the double glazing salesman we can only afford £10k for the windows, and all of a sudden the windows were £14k, but he will do us a 'deal' for £10k ...

Even if the war chest rumour isn't true, everyone knows we need another striker so prices going to be sky high, and as Fergie said bar signing Vidic, January was always a bad time to buy.

spt1978
14-09-2017, 06:40 PM

Scored a stunner away to Porto in the champions league last night, suspect we would be looking closer to £20m.

FMH57
15-09-2017, 10:09 AM

Have you googled Harris and Blitzer's net worth ? And as regards FFP, it doesn't look like anyone else took any notice last window.

GrayP41ace
15-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Chris Hughton can do one

I think it's a good idea.

Clubs will have a window where they can't sack them. In return the clubs can sack them for one months salary in the window where they can. Not sure many, money hungry, failed managers will agree though.

GreatGonzo
15-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Have you googled Harris and Blitzer's net worth ? And as regards FFP, it doesn't look like anyone else took any notice last window.

Or that FFP is so loose that no-one is in danger.

elgin eagle
15-09-2017, 10:22 AM
Chris Hughton can do one

I nominate Mutch.

Eddie McGoldrick's tash
15-09-2017, 10:35 AM
I just can't understand why we would keep so much money back if we really do have that much. We run of the risk of being relegated by one injury to Benteke this side of the window.

If you are desperate to avoid relegation then surely it makes more sense to try to avoid it from the start of the season not just in the second half of it.

Far East Eagle
15-09-2017, 10:48 AM
I just can't understand why we would keep so much money back if we really do have that much. We run of the risk of being relegated by one injury to Benteke this side of the window.

If you are desperate to avoid relegation then surely it makes more sense to try to avoid it from the start of the season not just in the second half of it.
Businessman not a footballman in charge

CaterhamEagle
15-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Striker, Keeper and someone who can play across a front 3 please. And early in the window, for once.

Excowboy
15-09-2017, 10:59 AM

A big part of the reason they have that net worth is only ever investing if they have a very good chance of that asset growing by more than the investment. They're not going to start throwing money around like a gulf state.

Big Blue Eagle
15-09-2017, 05:21 PM

We didn't if you believe several journalists. We were happy to buy a striker and a keeper but de Boer never decided who he wanted and time ran out or players went elsewhere.

Billyd
15-09-2017, 05:45 PM

https://i.holmesdale.net/image.php?p=news/3771.jpg&w=638

S.P.R.
15-09-2017, 07:09 PM
I hope Jairo has decent period of his career with us and we convert him into a defensive midfielder to compete for the place with Luka. Can have that position sorted for years to come.

johnnybacaro
15-09-2017, 08:44 PM
I dont think it was an issue of holding money back. It was just that we couldnt get the players we wanted across the line.

The Omen
16-09-2017, 09:00 AM
Worth watching (or reading) this report that followed Chris Wilder on transfer deadline day. Gives a good insight to how frustrating the day can be.

The video is a little way down on the page

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2730888-a-day-in-the-life-of-sheffield-united-boss-chris-wilder-on-transfer-deadline-day

TomEagle
16-09-2017, 12:57 PM
£40m? £400m is more like what's needed

Hemeleagle
16-09-2017, 01:10 PM
What we need is a bloody new chairman

Beneaglee
16-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Hennessy, ward dann and Jimmy Mac all need replacing.

JamTheEagle
16-09-2017, 01:22 PM
In case it wasn't already obvious, our pathetic lack of organisation and the way we conduct ourselves during transfer windows will finally cost us. Why we haven't strengthened in positions we so clearly need it is ******* amateur.

CoDownEagle
16-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Totally agree how did we end up with just one fit centre forward for the next 4 months ?

The squad is competely unbalanced.

GB2506
16-09-2017, 01:37 PM
Save the money and plan for the championship.

tamlamotowner
16-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Spend it on the ground facilities

wrightchipvcfc
16-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Do any of us honesty believe on Jan 2 or 3 were have 3 or 4 new premier league standard players who are deff starters that will improve team. the way things are going it will be to little to late by them the truth is if we are relegated it won't be all fdb roys or who ever is in charge by may fault were be relegated on what happened or didn't happen in the summer at boardroom level.

spt1978
16-09-2017, 02:08 PM
******* AMATEUR MANAGEMENT

If we have £40m left and went into the season with major shortfalls in priority position the guys at the top need sacking. I am doubtful though as we hear this shit every season, we all know our January involves signing a few players in the last week of the transfer windows.

Our summer penny pinching over a couple of million we see us lose £100m in TV rights, well done management team *slow clap*

Malarkey
16-09-2017, 02:15 PM
******* AMATEUR MANAGEMENT

If we have £40m left and went into the season with major shortfalls in priority position the guys at the top need sacking. I am doubtful though as we hear this shit every season, we all know our January involves signing a few players in the last week of the transfer windows.

Our summer penny pinching over a couple of million we see us lose £100m in TV rights, well done management team *slow clap*

Is this the most correct thing I have ever read?

If the £40m exists of course.

Shipp Ahoy!
16-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Ive been a big Steve Parish fan and supporter but spot on.

Wtf happened in the last window...

Pay the extra £5million for 2-3 players to get them in before the end of the window. Going to cost a lot more when we get relegated... will probably cost us a lot more in January now too... see Schlupp J and Aanholt PV :(

SJ'sLoveMonkey
16-09-2017, 02:22 PM
It will all be too late by January

spt1978
16-09-2017, 02:23 PM
It will all be too late by January

Yup. Back to being a loss making championship club.

I miss the other three.

Nigelbrag
16-09-2017, 02:44 PM
The problem we will face when the January window opens is, where will we be in the table come December which will dictate who and what we can bring in, as currently we have to be honest and accept we look certs for relegation even after just 5 games.
Firstly, which quality player worth his salt will want to join? and if relegated we are then left with an expensive flop, on the other hand do we plan for the Championship and bring in players accordingly?
This nightmare scenario has happened because of our terrible summer planning.

JamTheEagle
16-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Yup. Back to being a loss making championship club.

I miss the other three.

At our rate of spending we will be in League One.

Jon_C-Pal
16-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Our best hope is to sell Benteke and a few more of the high earners and get ready for the championship early. Lots of players either not capable of championship football or have to high opinion of themselves to play there. If we don't start getting ready in January we will have back to back relagations, that I am certain of.

mrgins
16-09-2017, 04:46 PM
We have two goalies, let's focus on two strikers who can create chances and are energetic. Then we can get another winger and a goalie.

L'head Eagle
16-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Better off not spending now, had our chance and its gone. At least FDB tried to blood some hungry youngsters, but again that chance has gone. What a mess.

The Vicar
16-09-2017, 04:57 PM
The problem we will face when the January window opens is, where will we be in the table come December which will dictate who and what we can bring in, as currently we have to be honest and accept we look certs for relegation even after just 5 games.
Firstly, which quality player worth his salt will want to join? and if relegated we are then left with an expensive flop, on the other hand do we plan for the Championship and bring in players accordingly?
This nightmare scenario has happened because of our terrible summer planning.

:sob:

Lee sinnots ear
16-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Our best hope is to sell Benteke and a few more of the high earners and get ready for the championship early. Lots of players either not capable of championship football or have to high opinion of themselves to play there. If we don't start getting ready in January we will have back to back relagations, that I am certain of.

Well after a little dispute with you last week I actually agree with you:hi:

I think this £40 mil story is pure fantasy. Talking to somebody really ITK our wage bill is £109 pa with nearly £50 mil still owed on outstanding transfer fees.

So let's forget the Jan spend unless we off load, and the players we want to off load nobody else wants. So I'm with you let's start preparing for a promotion push 2018/19 because this shower of shit haven't got a prayer.:wallbash:

Spindle
16-09-2017, 05:41 PM

Loser

old git
16-09-2017, 05:42 PM
Well after a little dispute with you last week I actually agree with you:hi:

I think this £40 mil story is pure fantasy. Talking to somebody really ITK our wage bill is £109 pa with nearly £50 mil still owed on outstanding transfer fees.

So let's forget the Jan spend unless we off load, and the players we want to off load nobody else wants. So I'm with you let's start preparing for a promotion push 2018/19 because this shower of shit haven't got a prayer.:wallbash:

Let's start by getting Gayle back.

elgin eagle
16-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Let's start by getting Gayle back.

Never sell your goalscorers. Was thinking earlier about how well Murray and Gayle linked up on the few occasions we saw them together (burnley away, crystanbul). Neither superstars, but both know where the net is. Still require service though, and that tippy tappy midfield is never going to provide it. Think we are fooked personally, which is crazy when you only need 12 wins from 33 attempts and have Zaha and Sakho.

Daniel_Nash
16-09-2017, 06:29 PM
I hope you don't waste any of it on Wilshere.

CPFC85
16-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Plan for the Championship.

TomEagle
17-09-2017, 08:36 PM
We'll wait until Jan 31st to spend it anyway when we'll be panic buying like a bad episode of Dale's supermarket sweep

Halfwayline
17-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Who will want to come here if there is even a 50/50 chance of relegation? We will certainly be in the bottom 6 come January. Maybe good players in mid Championship sides or 3rd choice players at Prem clubs.

We can only hope that Sako, Wickham and Wilf can make a difference.

palacelad197o
17-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Could do with signing a central defender i say we should sign one for £39 million that cant play until april 2018

CP-RJW
17-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Who will want to come here if there is even a 50/50 chance of relegation? We will certainly be in the bottom 6 come January. Maybe good players in mid Championship sides or 3rd choice players at Prem clubs.

We can only hope that Sako, Wickham and Wilf can make a difference.
Decent players from the continent will still be interesting in coming to a prem team scrapping relegation. However, identifying these players requires a scouting network more sophisticated than our tried and true method of booting up football manager.

Big Fella
18-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Will more than likely be a firesale rather than buying if this form continues.

Gyro1780
18-09-2017, 06:39 PM

What a load of BO**OCKS !!
Your talking out of your ar*e. WE'VE ONLY PLAYED 5 GAMES. :jerkit:

pauldrulez
18-09-2017, 06:42 PM
We need to get a lot younger in terms of the depth of the squad and some of the starting 11.

To me, that means moving on the likes of McArthur, Puncheon, Dann etc.

But also, we have to fill the squad somehow with cheaper, younger, hungry players with re-sale value. Why we haven't tried to do this already is beyond me, considering all SP went on about early in his reign was "re-sale value" when in reality only Bolasie and Gayle have had any value upon leaving.

Eagle's Nest
18-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Lookman would have been a good purchase back when he was available to us.

racehorse-80s
18-09-2017, 06:58 PM
What a load of BO**OCKS !!
Your talking out of your ar*e. WE'VE ONLY PLAYED 5 GAMES. :jerkit:

Before the run under big Sam we had an appalling 18 months , The squad is not as good as you think and it was only good Management and defensive tactics that saved us last season . We are now playing to form and not raising our game , Zaha is our outstanding player and it shows when he is out injured , If nothing changes in our form between now and January a decision about whether the best players are sold before relegation or after will need to be made .

Eagle's Nest
18-09-2017, 06:58 PM

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're being really silly.

Once you're in the Premier League, do everything you can to stay in it.

Gyro1780
18-09-2017, 07:13 PM
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're being really silly.

Exactly this :p

"Get ready for the championship..." F**K OFF :jerkit:

SE5eagle
18-09-2017, 07:20 PM
If I were the manager I'd spend thirty mil on a goalie, ten mil on a striker and then spend 50p of my own money on broccoli that I'd stick in my ears so I couldn't hear the bbs moan.

palacelad197o
18-09-2017, 08:16 PM

Like buy a striker before the season starts so you have at least 2 available

El Aguila
18-09-2017, 08:37 PM
If I were the manager I'd spend thirty mil on a goalie, ten mil on a striker and then spend 50p of my own money on broccoli that I'd stick in my ears so I couldn't hear the bbs moan.

You could just spend 28 mill on the goalie and get some really excellent broccoli.

SE5eagle
18-09-2017, 09:44 PM
You could just spend 28 mill on the goalie and get some really excellent broccoli.

Excellent idea, just the kind of thinking we need.

Consider yourself hired; you are now our Sprouting Director.

Now get out there and source me some.

Wrap up warm, it's brassica out there.

Bryan
18-09-2017, 10:42 PM

racehorse-80s
18-09-2017, 11:02 PM
£40 million is no longer a war chest in the Premiership . A £40 million trinket box would be more apt .

eagle-leg
19-09-2017, 01:41 AM
Exactly this :p

"Get ready for the championship..." F**K OFF :jerkit:

Yep. These are probably the same people who wanted to pocket the 100m and accept a relegation when we got promoted.

We fight to stay up!!

SE5eagle
19-09-2017, 02:44 AM
£40 million is no longer a war chest in the Premiership . A £40 million trinket box would be more apt .

If you don't think a 28mil keeper and 2mil of high grade broccoli are the solution, then you are the problem and need to bounce that about on a farmyard.

We've got Wickham back soon.

glaziers fan
19-09-2017, 07:49 AM
We need to get a lot younger in terms of the depth of the squad and some of the starting 11.

To me, that means moving on the likes of McArthur, Puncheon, Dann etc.

But also, we have to fill the squad somehow with cheaper, younger, hungry players with re-sale value. Why we haven't tried to do this already is beyond me, considering all SP went on about early in his reign was "re-sale value" when in reality only Bolasie and Gayle have had any value upon leaving.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying completely. Personally, I wouldn't move on Puncheon, because I think he has a good influence on the squad. And I wouldn't move on Dann because he has defended ok, is a set-piece threat and Tomkins is perenially injured.

But you are right, that we need to bring the average age down. If we sign young talented players, not only do they have resale value, but they also are on lower wages, prepared to sit on the bench more and create competition for the first XI.

I think Steve Parish would have bought more youngsters in this window if the transfer market hadn't gone potty. I think he can see that's exactly what we need to do. But to be honest, I can understand the reluctance previously because we needed players who are experienced and Premiership-ready, in order to stay up. Even now, 5 games in, we probably need that kind of player first and foremost as come mid-October we will be in deep trouble. It all depends on how we do in October and November as to who we will be able to bring in when the window opens, and also whether the experienced first XI player can stay fit. Crucial to get ourselves into a relatively safe position. Games in October, November and early December give us a chance. We will need to get wins on the board.

All down to you again Wilf :p

glaziers fan
19-09-2017, 08:04 AM

The transfer market went completely potty in the summer. I actually think that we did ok in the window. Jairo is one for the future, Sakho will surely be our captain, and the 2 youngsters are top top class - far better than the players they will replace in the first XI.

This idea about needing a striker will be history once Wickham comes back in November. I for one am pleased we didn't sign a striker. They cost more than players in other positions, and we'd do well to afford or attract anyone better than Benteke to be first choice, or Wickham to be second choice.

We need a goalkeeper for sure (although not sure any decent ones will be available mid-season), we need a young winger (there's no decent cover for WZ or AT), we will need centre mids by the summer (JM, JP and YC in their 30s and RLC back to Chelsea), and we will also probably need a right back when TFM returns to his parent club.

So I would look to sign the following:

January: young winger and a central midfielder
Summer: goalkeeper, right back, central midfielder

Pinkie Brown
19-09-2017, 08:06 AM

Have you got Steve Parish's mobile?, asking for a friend ;)

TWELLSEagle
19-09-2017, 08:47 AM

Purple sprouting?

Nigelbrag
19-09-2017, 10:25 AM
So much speculation, but it will all be dependant on where we are come the 1st of January if unfortunately we are adrift at the bottom then it will be a fire sale of our most valuable assets like Zaha, Benteke and Townsend which in this ludicrous market would fetch around 100m, and then prepare for the Championship.
As much as it may be unpopular to fans and appear that we have thrown in the towel, but in reality if Parish has the courage to take that decision then it may be one of the most sensible he has made for sometime.
He then needs to support RH into bringing in high quality young Championship players coupled with good young Foreign players along with a few good experienced pros as Huddersfield did, and then maybe after a couple of seasons we can return to the Premiership far better prepared.
Having already wasted 4 years in the premiership with all it offers plus the American investment with nothing of note to show is scandalous, when our aim should have been in trying to establish ourselves as a mid table club initially and then aim higher in time, it has been such a waste of an opportunity. Instead all we have done is change more managers than a mother does when changing nappies, is it any wonder that the club is in a mess?
Lets hope this is me jumping the gun and that we survive and have learnt lessons from this farcical period.

Shipp Ahoy!
19-09-2017, 10:53 AM

A £20million keeper and a £20million striker would probably sort us ;)

Although I'll settle for a £15million of each and then a third player for £10million :D

Martin H
19-09-2017, 11:15 AM
So much speculation, but it will all be dependant on where we are come the 1st of January if unfortunately we are adrift at the bottom then it will be a fire sale of our most valuable assets like Zaha, Benteke and Townsend which in this ludicrous market would fetch around 100m, and then prepare for the Championship.
As much as it may be unpopular to fans and appear that we have thrown in the towel, but in reality if Parish has the courage to take that decision then it may be one of the most sensible he has made for sometime.
He then needs to support RH into bringing in high quality young Championship players coupled with good young Foreign players along with a few good experienced pros as Huddersfield did, and then maybe after a couple of seasons we can return to the Premiership far better prepared.
Having already wasted 4 years in the premiership with all it offers plus the American investment with nothing of note to show is scandalous, when our aim should have been in trying to establish ourselves as a mid table club initially and then aim higher in time, it has been such a waste of an opportunity. Instead all we have done is change more managers than a mother does when changing nappies, is it any wonder that the club is in a mess?
Lets hope this is me jumping the gun and that we survive and have learnt lessons from this farcical period.

It's funny but I put together a long post based on something similar for the summer but I deleted it without finishing it in part because it was so long and SP announced what a wonderful squad of players we have and so seemed pointless. But the thought started with the squad badly needing a serious refresh because it has really been allowed to get into a poor state due to constant short term mgt. The idea that we shift out Benteke, Cabaye, Macca, Townsend, the FDB suggestions etc. to raise funds and rebuild the squad with younger high potential around Wilf. This would have been a risk for sure but with foreign loans, UK loans and maybe a top up we could with the new manager (at the time FDB pre-problems) I just thought it might have come off and over the next few years with careful squad management we could move up the table while changing the culture etc.

Obviously this is well and truly down the pan right now but maybe Hodgson can start that as he did with England, identifying the right potential and bringing them into the squad. Can't see him finishing the job though. So very similar to what you are suggesting in Jan.

My long term hobby horse has been our failure (over decades it seems) to hold onto a Manager and the turmoil that has caused. I am always told that isn't the modern way but that is by definition self fulfilling. Maybe the Sports Director is a start - but I just can't believe that DF is reasonable candidate. I hope I am wrong but what are the odds that our former (average by football standards) player who has failed to establish himself as a Manager anywhere or win anything suddenly (player or manager) emerges as the genius to architect us through that. Wonder what the odds will be. Also, if he does look like being at all successful, he has proven to us several times now that he will simply move on elsewhere for more cash.

I do think SP needs to go away somewhere and talk to non-Palace people and get his head well and truly out of his daily work. Spend a week with Fergie at Harvard. Pay a $1m to get them to develop a plan and identify talent. What can't work is employing ex Players in the hope that they will become something that they have never been. The only asset currently in 'Knowing the Palace way' is to know what to avoid when it comes to building and maturing a club. Go and steal the architect for Southampton, or Spurs, or ..... I don't know what, but don't just carry on as we are.

Some of the phrases above are blunt in part to make the point and in part to avoid making the post even longer than it is.

Nigelbrag
19-09-2017, 05:23 PM
It's funny but I put together a long post based on something similar for the summer but I deleted it without finishing it in part because it was so long and SP announced what a wonderful squad of players we have and so seemed pointless. But the thought started with the squad badly needing a serious refresh because it has really been allowed to get into a poor state due to constant short term mgt. The idea that we shift out Benteke, Cabaye, Macca, Townsend, the FDB suggestions etc. to raise funds and rebuild the squad with younger high potential around Wilf. This would have been a risk for sure but with foreign loans, UK loans and maybe a top up we could with the new manager (at the time FDB pre-problems) I just thought it might have come off and over the next few years with careful squad management we could move up the table while changing the culture etc.

Obviously this is well and truly down the pan right now but maybe Hodgson can start that as he did with England, identifying the right potential and bringing them into the squad. Can't see him finishing the job though. So very similar to what you are suggesting in Jan.

My long term hobby horse has been our failure (over decades it seems) to hold onto a Manager and the turmoil that has caused. I am always told that isn't the modern way but that is by definition self fulfilling. Maybe the Sports Director is a start - but I just can't believe that DF is reasonable candidate. I hope I am wrong but what are the odds that our former (average by football standards) player who has failed to establish himself as a Manager anywhere or win anything suddenly (player or manager) emerges as the genius to architect us through that. Wonder what the odds will be. Also, if he does look like being at all successful, he has proven to us several times now that he will simply move on elsewhere for more cash.

I do think SP needs to go away somewhere and talk to non-Palace people and get his head well and truly out of his daily work. Spend a week with Fergie at Harvard. Pay a $1m to get them to develop a plan and identify talent. What can't work is employing ex Players in the hope that they will become something that they have never been. The only asset currently in 'Knowing the Palace way' is to know what to avoid when it comes to building and maturing a club. Go and steal the architect for Southampton, or Spurs, or ..... I don't know what, but don't just carry on as we are.

Some of the phrases above are blunt in part to make the point and in part to avoid making the post even longer than it is.

To be frank i think a lot of our comments are born out of frustration Martin, i felt after what the club had gone through prior to CPFC2010 taking over was then long gone, and felt finally there was a light at the end of the tunnel as far as Palace were concerned, but we just can't seem to learn from mistakes.
We seemed (hoping) to have turned the corner when first Pulis then Pardew then Allardyce and finally De Boer appointed, amazingly all of these changes happening in under 3 years, so is it any wonder no progress has been made and we find ourselves in this situation of uncertainty yet again, and in all honesty probably heading for relegation.
Hence why i feel maybe with Roy Hodgson who i accept is 70 yrs old, but has so much proven experience and quality at the highest level to offer, but is not appreciated by some due to that ICELAND horror, whilst forgetting he did take England in qualifying being unbeaten in 10 games.
But surely has so much that he can bring to Palace and also has an affinity with the club and would delight in making us a success, and will stay loyal providing we do the same.
It maybe as far as Palace is concerned we need to accept this decline has been a long time coming and he may not be our saviour this time in saving our premiership status due mainly to bad management planning.
That is why i suggested it may be time to accept our fate in January if it is to be so (hopefully not as there is still time) but then plan ahead by what i mentioned may be the way forward, who knows? but surely we can't keep on playing Russian roulette season after season, we need long term planning if we are to ever move forward.

Martin H
19-09-2017, 06:37 PM
To be frank i think a lot of our comments are born out of frustration Martin, i felt after what the club had gone through prior to CPFC2010 taking over was then long gone, and felt finally there was a light at the end of the tunnel as far as Palace were concerned, but we just can't seem to learn from mistakes.
We seemed (hoping) to have turned the corner when first Pulis then Pardew then Allardyce and finally De Boer appointed, amazingly all of these changes happening in under 3 years, so is it any wonder no progress has been made and we find ourselves in this situation of uncertainty yet again, and in all honesty probably heading for relegation.
Hence why i feel maybe with Roy Hodgson who i accept is 70 yrs old, but has so much proven experience and quality at the highest level to offer, but is not appreciated by some due to that ICELAND horror, whilst forgetting he did take England in qualifying being unbeaten in 10 games.
But surely has so much that he can bring to Palace and also has an affinity with the club and would delight in making us a success, and will stay loyal providing we do the same.
It maybe as far as Palace is concerned we need to accept this decline has been a long time coming and he may not be our saviour this time in saving our premiership status due mainly to bad management planning.
That is why i suggested it may be time to accept our fate in January if it is to be so (hopefully not as there is still time) but then plan ahead by what i mentioned may be the way forward, who knows? but surely we can't keep on playing Russian roulette season after season, we need long term planning if we are to ever move forward.

I am with you for sure. The main thing I think is that if the worst was to happen that we really are prepared to handle it and reclaim the top tier status. Clubs that don't come back risk a much deeper decline and I am not sure we have the fan base ready for that these days. Here's hoping that Roy works magic, but magic it must be I think.

Far East Eagle
20-09-2017, 08:43 AM
After our win last night I am starting to feel a lot more confident about staying up. Wagner said we came into the game completely differently, much more defensive and organised. If we can take this into the league now with West Ham and Newcastle coming up, then we could get to 15 points by New Year's Day.

If we have a real fighting chance at that point, we would be in a brilliant position to get some good talent and with a bit of luck sign them with half an eye on keeping them if we go down.

fang
20-09-2017, 08:50 AM
Wagner said we came into the game completely differently,.

Like Valkyries.

Bryan
20-09-2017, 03:15 PM
To be fair £40m should be enough if we keep in touch with 4th place by Christmas.

Buys at least three decent players even in this market.

4 cryingOutloud
20-09-2017, 05:35 PM
To be fair £40m should be enough if we keep in touch with 4th place by Christmas.

Buys at least three decent players even in this market.

Just one problem with that, we still can't buy anyone until 1st January 2018 and if we're out of touch it'll cost us twice the going rate for players, because we'll be desperate and the selling club will scalp us like they did with PVA and Schlupp who simply weren't worth their fees, so our £40mil will only buy £20mil worth of players if we're lucky.

TouchyAndalou
20-09-2017, 10:39 PM
If we gave De Boer 40 million wed end up with Van Persie Except we wouldn't. The players he did bring in were all young players with potential (Sakho was almost certainly a Parish signing)

eagle-leg
20-09-2017, 11:05 PM
Except we wouldn't. The players he did bring in were all young players with potential (Sakho was almost certainly a Parish signing)

I heard that RLC was also a club target rather than a De Boer target.

Ian Hart
22-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Only keepers I can see being worth that are Simone Scuffet or Alex Meret both Udinese keepers but they know they can't keep both so will eventually have to sell one.

If either of them are top drawer, won't he end up at Watford?

Martin H
22-09-2017, 05:51 PM
I heard that RLC was also a club target rather than a De Boer target.

It's not what Steve P himself said in one of his recent interviews (sorry can't remember which one now) he listed RLC, Timbo and Jairo as ones FDB 'insisted on' and he was obviously pleased to get Sakho but wanted him from day one.

glaziers fan
26-09-2017, 07:49 AM
What will be interesting is to see how the squad is shaping up in January. Obviously a goalkeeper would be great, but it's unlikely that we will get a decent one half way through the season - I think that may have to wait until the summer.
What I am hoping for are some young, hungry midfielders and wingers; we have enough experience in the squad. If we could sign RLC on a permanent (pipe dream I know) it would free up a loan slot for a striker. Maybe Danny Ings at Liverpool could be a possibility?
But would also like us to go for a young winger; someone like Demarai Gray or Adama Traore? We need to buy young, hungry players.

CharlieCPFC
26-09-2017, 08:06 AM
We need a forward, I still think Mitrovic would be a good option. Obviously Cenk Tosun is still there but reports suggest his stock is going up. You've also got Jannssen at Tottenham.

Another winger is a priority, Traore is the Palace fit. He's quick, direct and can beat his full back. A similar player from what I've seen is Samuel Adegbenro Whos at Rosenborg. I know the club has been keeping tabs of him.

A keeper is still a priority, we've had Hennessey costing us for a while now we're being accustomed and familiar with it. I still believe Skorupski for half a season on loan is a great gamble.

I just hope we're eyeing these deals up now.

Trying to get RLC and TFM on permananet deals would be superb but I can't see those happening sadly.

Palace121
26-09-2017, 08:09 AM
What will be interesting is to see how the squad is shaping up in January. Obviously a goalkeeper would be great, but it's unlikely that we will get a decent one half way through the season - I think that may have to wait until the summer.
What I am hoping for are some young, hungry midfielders and wingers; we have enough experience in the squad. If we could sign RLC on a permanent (pipe dream I know) it would free up a loan slot for a striker. Maybe Danny Ings at Liverpool could be a possibility?
But would also like us to go for a young winger; someone like Demarai Gray or Adama Traore? We need to buy young, hungry players.

It stil surprises me that nobody took the chance on Traore. He's raw but has huge potential with the speed and skill he possesses. Unsurprisingly, he's been tearing players apart in the Championship.

Weren't Barcelona being linked?

elgin eagle
26-09-2017, 08:27 AM
It stil surprises me that nobody took the chance on Traore. He's raw but has huge potential with the speed and skill he possesses. Unsurprisingly, he's been tearing players apart in the Championship.

They sold him so might realise they had made an error. Was hoping we would try and sign some attacking options but we didn't and here we are.

macstar
26-09-2017, 08:43 AM

Traore at Boro? Early last season he was being raved about hugely...... but as the season went on it was clear he actually wasnt that good. DIdnt he fail to score or provide an assist or some stat like that.

macstar
26-09-2017, 08:44 AM
We need a forward, I still think Mitrovic would be a good option. Obviously Cenk Tosun is still there but reports suggest his stock is going up. You've also got Jannssen at Tottenham.

Another winger is a priority, Traore is the Palace fit. He's quick, direct and can beat his full back. A similar player from what I've seen is Samuel Adegbenro Whos at Rosenborg. I know the club has been keeping tabs of him.

A keeper is still a priority, we've had Hennessey costing us for a while now we're being accustomed and familiar with it. I still believe Skorupski for half a season on loan is a great gamble.

I just hope we're eyeing these deals up now.

Trying to get RLC and TFM on permananet deals would be superb but I can't see those happening sadly.

Mitrovic would definitely be a crowd favourite. Need that kind of aggression from Benteke.

CharlieCPFC
26-09-2017, 08:49 AM
Mitrovic would definitely be a crowd favourite. Need that kind of aggression from Benteke.

Exactly what I've been saying.

We've seen the talented individuals technically at Selhurst but what the crowd love most is someone who gets the crowd into play and shows some desire. I've defended Benteke several times but recently his work rate is woeful. And his brothers comments on twitter really do add up.

Mitrovic is mates with Luka, Luka even said one person he'd love to play with at Palace would be Mitrovic.

He's still young, he will mature. And he knows where the net is, he's not leading the line for Serbia who are walking their group for no reason.

Kiazer Soze
26-09-2017, 09:38 AM
We should of bought Gray from Burnley,even Salad said it

Martin H
26-09-2017, 10:07 AM

He went to Watford for a total deal of £18.5m! By the sounds of it we couldn't have afforded the agent commission, let alone the fee. :(

AJ
26-09-2017, 10:25 AM
If we are still on 0 points in January I trust money with either be saved or used to buy the best championship players.

mroakley9
26-09-2017, 10:28 AM

have

Big Fella
26-09-2017, 12:26 PM
If we are still on 0 points in January I trust money with either be saved or used to buy the best championship players.

No need with Williams, Mutch, Lee, Hennessey. Money in the bank. :sob:

swissroll
26-09-2017, 12:38 PM

12 points or less and we would be wise to sell not buy and get inflated prices for our players with Freedman tapping the market to re do the squad for the championship

Chas
26-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Only keepers I can see being worth that are Simone Scuffet or Alex Meret both Udinese keepers but they know they can't keep both so will eventually have to sell one. Meret is currently back out on loan at SPAL for the season.

Meret seems to fit the profile as talk of other clubs including Napoli offering about €17m for him.

pR9QohVsTH0

Maybe if we had a Foot Scout, we wouldn't be in this ******* mess.

jmemour
26-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Cenk Tosun with a superb assist in the champions league [emoji854][emoji854][emoji854]

st albans
26-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Cool

Far East Eagle
27-09-2017, 02:43 AM
He went to Watford for a total deal of £18.5m! By the sounds of it we couldn't have afforded the agent commission, let alone the fee. :(

The Watford deal we should have upended was them buying Chabaloah (sp) for 6m !!

Latvian Eagle
29-09-2017, 04:15 PM
First bit of business for 1st January I would be going about if I were Steve Parish is to enquire to Real Betis what the release clauses are in Antonio Adán (Goalkeeper) and Tony Sanabria's (Centre Forward) contracts.

Failing that I would be trying to find out what Real Madrid want for Kiko Casilla (Keeper) as he is far too good to be sitting on the bench whether he supports them or not.

spt1978
29-09-2017, 04:26 PM
First bit of business for 1st January I would be going about if I were Steve Parish is to enquire to Real Betis what the release clauses are in Antonio Adán (Goalkeeper) and Tony Sanabria's (Centre Forward) contracts.

Failing that I would be trying to find out what Real Madrid want for Kiko Casilla (Keeper) as he is far too good to be sitting on the bench whether he supports them or not.

Not sure he would leave the bench at Real for the bottom of the premier league....

People may need to get realistic about who we will be able to attract in January. Also, do we really have time for players to adjust to this league.

Latvian Eagle
29-09-2017, 04:29 PM
Not sure he would leave the bench at Real for the bottom of the premier league....

People may need to get realistic about who we will be able to attract in January. Also, do we really have time for players to adjust to this league.

Maybe, maybe not. But he has represented Spain before, and a World Cup next year. I'd take a 6 month loan. ;)

orp pisshead1
29-09-2017, 04:34 PM
Exactly what I've been saying.

We've seen the talented individuals technically at Selhurst but what the crowd love most is someone who gets the crowd into play and shows some desire. I've defended Benteke several times but recently his work rate is woeful. And his brothers comments on twitter really do add up.

Mitrovic is mates with Luka, Luka even said one person he'd love to play with at Palace would be Mitrovic.

He's still young, he will mature. And he knows where the net is, he's not leading the line for Serbia who are walking their group for no reason.

What did Benteke's brother say?.

Latvian Eagle
29-09-2017, 05:41 PM
What did Benteke's brother say?.

I too am intrigued by this. I am guessing probably having a dig that we released him and now have no strikers?

Panther
29-09-2017, 06:11 PM
If we still had him we'd still have no strikers.

El Aguila
29-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Didn't he come on for a bit in one of those games early last season? I recall a rather risible first touch. The sort that would make Fraizer Campbell shudder.

cpfcfan1
29-09-2017, 06:28 PM
Didn't he come on for a bit in one of those games early last season? I recall a rather risible first touch. The sort that would make Fraizer Campbell shudder.
Boro i think?

jjeagle
29-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Boro i think?

Yep, Boro away. Came on as a second half sub l do believe.

PeterH
29-09-2017, 07:13 PM

Aaaah. So all of this is the fault of the BBS moaning brigade. Fair enough. As you were Parish.

PeterH
29-09-2017, 07:14 PM
This idea about needing a striker will be history once Wickham comes back in November. I for one am pleased we didn't sign a striker. r

Wickham will last 6 games.

JDawg
30-09-2017, 09:55 PM
Where' the £40m going to come from?

palacelad197o
30-09-2017, 10:07 PM
Wickham will last 6 games.4 max

palacemetros
30-09-2017, 10:07 PM
Where' the £40m going to come from?

The sale of Wilf, Cabaye and Benteke

Fitzy1
30-09-2017, 10:09 PM
40 million, we need double that.

palacelad197o
30-09-2017, 10:10 PM
The sale of Wilf, Cabaye and BentekeWorth at least £60 mil so we will be £20 mil in profit

palacelad197o
30-09-2017, 10:11 PM
40 million, we need double that.As long as we buy some defenders we will be fine :-)

st albans
£40m won't touch the sides. If we're still be some miracle within touching distance this squad needs a major overhaul in Jan. £40m isn't enough

palacemetros
Worth at least £60 mil so we will be £20 mil in profit

Worth, yes. But what we'll get...?

palacelad197o
30-09-2017, 10:25 PM
Worth, yes. But what we'll get...?We will get £60 mil but what will we reinvest ? Will we do our work now and prepare for next season or will we spunk our money to try and stay up ? I fear the latter we will spend £40 mil in jan on a keeper or a left back :-) and a striker

sheepy
30-09-2017, 11:44 PM
£40m isn't enough

It's more than enough as long as you have the right scouts / idea of what type of players you need in place.

Buying over-hyped, over priced "established names", is no guarantee of buying quality.

CoDownEagle
01-10-2017, 07:17 AM
The issue won’t be the transfer kitty....nobody will want to come here. The club is completely unstable and with the current league position we may be as good as relegated by Jan anyway.

We would be better trying to bring on the youngsters now as they will be the future in the championship.

racehorse-80s
01-10-2017, 07:19 AM
Will Roy still be at Palace to spend it ?

Golf Boy
01-10-2017, 07:20 AM
£40m won't touch the sides. If we're still be some miracle within touching distance this squad needs a major overhaul in Jan. £40m isn't enough

Rubbish - 40 millon gets you a tomkins, Schlupp and Van Anholt. Sorted.

spt1978
01-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Looking forward to the Jan 31st rush to sign players.

Gazza2
01-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Jan will be sell sell sell to keep club afloat after relegation. Total income will drop from about £122m this season (assuming we finish bottom or close to it) to about £70m in first year in Championship. If still there then total income in Championship after parachute payments end would be about £25m.

Reg_Maudling
01-10-2017, 08:43 AM
Looking forward to the Jan 31st rush to sign players.

2 minutes to deadline on jan 31st there may be frantic but ultimately fruitless efforts to get them over the line but at least they would have tried

Dobbo
12-10-2017, 06:34 AM
Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson is targeting experienced Premier League players in January as he bids to steer the club clear of relegation. (Daily Mail)

Far East Eagle
12-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson is targeting experienced Premier League players in January as he bids to steer the club clear of relegation. (Daily Mail)

So exactly what Pulis wanted to do 3 years ago and was blocked :wallbash:

Sodermalm
12-10-2017, 06:54 AM
Crouch then?

RedStripe Eagle
12-10-2017, 07:35 AM
So exactly what Pulis wanted to do 3 years ago and was blocked :wallbash:

Exactly, been going backwards as a club ever since then, I know Pulis was a dick about things, but if he had got what he wanted players wise - oh what could have been - yes we would be boring, yes people would be moaning about our style - but we would not be heading for the championship.......:sob::sob:

Friskey
12-10-2017, 07:57 AM
Can't see any point in signing players. Save the money for next season.

Jimmy Eagle
12-10-2017, 08:27 AM

I couldn't cope with us not beating Derby's infamous points tally so for that reason alone, I hope we strengthen in January.

bigend1
12-10-2017, 09:05 AM

Maybe they are trying to have targets sorted for January incase we win a couple of games?

Be a bit shit if we are only 3/4 points from safety come January and decide we should sign a couple of players as we can stay up but didn't have any targets because we gave up in October

If we are 10+ points adrift I doubt we'll spend much on players that won't stay for the championship

adrenalin john
12-10-2017, 09:08 AM
I will give my support 100% to Hennessey but we need to sign a goalkeeper for whatever division we are going to be in!

BLUE BOY
12-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Surely this is all dependent on our position in January. If we are cut adrift then no point wasting money on players. If we are in with a fighting chance then getting the right players is crucial.

palacelad197o
12-10-2017, 07:13 PM
I will give my support 100% to Hennessey but we need to sign a goalkeeper for whatever division we are going to be in!

And a left back and 10 more defenders :D

palacelad197o
12-10-2017, 07:14 PM

Or here is a better idea get the players in january for next season that way we will be up and running :-) nope nope thats far to easy

Jim Cannon
12-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Surely this is all dependent on our position in January. If we are cut adrift then no point wasting money on players. If we are in with a fighting chance then getting the right players is crucial.

If we are cut adrift, nobody will want to come anyway

swissroll
12-10-2017, 08:49 PM
If say below 15 points then we should be selling and get the overinflated prices for a war chest and new team in the championship

modernsouler
12-10-2017, 11:44 PM
If we lose our next six games I cannot see how Hodgson will still be the manager going into the Brighton game.

Hopefully things will change for the better in the next six games and we can look forward to that transfer window with renewed hope.

Penstone Eagle
13-10-2017, 07:09 AM
If we are cut adrift, nobody will want to come anyway

It's that simple.

sheepy
13-10-2017, 12:22 PM
If say below 15 points then we should be selling and get the overinflated prices for a war chest and new team in the championship

No body wanted to sign for Derby the year after their 11pt season (bar very over priced washed up players).

I'm not sure it's as simple as sell up and plan for next season regardless of how many points we're on. Decent players don't want to sign for teams on the back of a humiliating campaign.

Gawkes
13-10-2017, 01:24 PM
Our brand has been ****ed by the utter incompetence of the higher echelons of the club, no one in their right mind would hop on this sinking ship right now, and I don't blame them.

Jim Cannon
13-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Our brand

I detest this bollox, let Man Utd and Arsenal have a brand, we are Palace

glaziers fan
13-10-2017, 05:35 PM

Agreed. Keep it for our Europa League push. We will attract better players in the summer after our top 10 finish.

King William
13-10-2017, 08:06 PM
Our brand has been ****ed by the utter incompetence of the higher echelons of the club, no one in their right mind would hop on this sinking ship right now, and I don't blame them.

Brand?

:clown:

Chas
13-10-2017, 08:47 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/09/52/4d/09524da39e31d4ffd2d9a31bdb3acb66--elton-brand-los-angeles-clippers.jpg

Gawkes
14-10-2017, 12:00 AM

Even if you detest it it's still a huge part of being a football club in this modern day and age, attracting players to this circus is not going to be easy in January because of our recent history, lot's of hard work undone by some very avoidable errors.

Can't say it wasn't expected though, typical Palace and all that, just thought we might learn from previous errors.

PeterH
14-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Nope, I am with Jim Cannon. How did that tournament in HK go with our Premier preparation. A Liverpool love in for the locals and fecked our preparations big time. Let us stick to traditional pre seasons prep from now on.

PeterH
14-10-2017, 05:39 AM
Brand?

:clown:

Indeed. Outside the BBS and HOL nobody knows us.

bigend1
14-10-2017, 06:25 AM

I appiciate the sentiment but it's adapt or die.

The brand is like food for us to a modern day football club. Without it you will be struggling to survive. It is what it is

Penstone Eagle
14-10-2017, 07:20 AM
Nope, I am with Jim Cannon. How did that tournament in HK go with our Premier preparation. A Liverpool love in for the locals and fecked our preparations big time. Let us stick to traditional pre seasons prep from now on.

Never going to happen unfortunately.

Although relegation would see us return to proper pre season prep.

Penstone Eagle
14-10-2017, 07:25 AM
We'll never have a 'brand'.

We're known for allegedly having the best atmosphere, a succession of managers due to relegation battles, comical desperation signings, and an Eagle that flies up and down the pitch.

Fine by me.

Adlerhorst
14-10-2017, 10:34 AM

We're known for allegedly having the best atmosphere, a succession of managers due to relegation battles, comical desperation signings, and an Eagle that flies up and down the pitch.

Fine by me.
Fwiw that is a brand

Raggy
14-10-2017, 10:43 AM

Fine by me.

Add in a delipidated old school ground, a whiff of authenticity, anti-establishment rebelliousness (largely from the HF), lots of support from celebrities (particularly comedians), fit cheerleaders, flash chairmen, and an almost comic lack of trophies to show for our 112 years of existence (even Swindon, Oxford and Wigan have won major trophies ffs).

RisZero
14-10-2017, 01:52 PM
Might need to be £80m after this game

mroakley9
14-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Might need to be £80m after this game

Maybe we'll be able to re-sign Campbell with that