PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations to sit

Katy
14-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Hi,

Pretty much, my boyfriend is absolutely obsessed with Palace but never gets to see them these days. So for his 21st birthday, one of the things I'll be doing is getting tickets to see a game (I know a contact). I'm more accustomed to Craven Cottage than Selhurst so I'm wondering; where is the best place to sit? Any birthday recommendations for anything else Palace-related would also be appreciated!

Neckinger Eagle
14-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Nobody going to answer?

I'll have a stab. Holmesdale Upper Tier, best view in English football (in my opinion).

If you and your boyfriend like it a bit more raucous and don't mind standing up, then Holmesdale Lower.

I don't like the Arthur much because the sun makes you squint.

I like the shabbiness of the Main Stand (on the outside at least) but the pillars get in the way.

It must be 30 years since I watched a game in the Whitehorse Lane end.

PremierPalace
14-09-2017, 07:44 PM
Hi,

Pretty much, my boyfriend is absolutely obsessed with Palace but never gets to see them these days. So for his 21st birthday, one of the things I'll be doing is getting tickets to see a game (I know a contact). I'm more accustomed to Craven Cottage than Selhurst so I'm wondering; where is the best place to sit? Any birthday recommendations for anything else Palace-related would also be appreciated!

Main stand is pretty peaceful the few times I've sat there but pillars can be a slight issue, though I've never had too much trouble.

Mr Palace
14-09-2017, 07:44 PM
You sound like a nice girlfriend - good work!

Definitely lower or upper Holmesdale I'd say.

New LP
14-09-2017, 07:46 PM
Anywhere you can get a ticket these days, which tends to be the Arthur Wait stand. A sort of cattle shed with away fans at one end.

Se9 eagles
14-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Hi,

So 'absolutely obsessed' he never goes to the games?

CharlieCPFC
14-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Sit on his face

thereichstuff
14-09-2017, 07:53 PM
Sit on his face

I laughed .

PremierPalace
14-09-2017, 07:59 PM

This attitude is so tiresome

CJ PLUM
14-09-2017, 08:32 PM
Give it 4 games and there might be an empty seat on the bench.

Se9 eagles
14-09-2017, 08:37 PM

Oh dear.What a shame.Premier Palace eh?Not a glory hunter yourself?

David of Kent
14-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Nobody going to answer?

I'll have a stab. Holmesdale Upper Tier, best view in English football (in my opinion).

This would be my vote.

Good girlfriend work :p

AddoWolz
14-09-2017, 09:01 PM
He's 21 , get him a ticket for block B lower Holmesdale , he won't be sitting but he'll love it whatever the score :p

Maz
14-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Arthur awaits is fine. If it's sunny bring a hat.

Edit. Waite. Damn spellcheck.

Celestial Empire
14-09-2017, 09:44 PM
Arthur awaits is fine. If it's sunny bring a hat.

Edit. Waite. Damn spellcheck.

Wait.
Spellcheck again ?;)

WLYWLYAWYPWF
14-09-2017, 10:13 PM
Sit on his face

:supergrin:

Worksop Palace
14-09-2017, 10:19 PM
Tell him Roy is in charge.

Should save you 40

Wolfnipplechips
14-09-2017, 10:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dax_tnZRExc&feature=share

:D

Benzhiyi
14-09-2017, 10:22 PM
I can't believe it took seven posts.

(Kudos to those who've answered seriously, too.)

TAK
14-09-2017, 10:24 PM

You really are an embarrassment.

As for seating, as said before.

Lower Holmesdale for atmosphere, upper for view.

Old/Main stand obstructed views bur not the end of the world, friendly and good bar.

RCUK
14-09-2017, 10:35 PM
Not everyone has the means to attend games.

Doesn't make them any less of a fan.

mcmean
14-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Gallery surely. That's the best view. It's the first 3 rows of the Holmesdale upper tier.

That's a birthday present I'd love

TouchyAndalou
14-09-2017, 11:13 PM
So 'absolutely obsessed' he never goes to the games? Are you really 54? You come across like a child or an adult with learning difficulties.

Spindle
15-09-2017, 08:26 AM

Twat

aj4england
15-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Whitehorse, left said of the goal, back row. Best view, close to the pitch, lino and away fans, decent atmosphere.

hatter8142
15-09-2017, 09:05 AM
In the Brewers

pallet
15-09-2017, 09:15 AM
I like the way the OP new comes back.

Eaglez
15-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Nobody going to answer?

If you and your boyfriend like it a bit more raucous and don't mind standing up, then Holmesdale Lower.

I don't like the Arthur much because the sun makes you squint.

I like the shabbiness of the Main Stand (on the outside at least) but the pillars get in the way.

It must be 30 years since I watched a game in the Whitehorse Lane end.

Best view definitely the main stand. Can't beat the sideways view on the half way line. Pillars more of an issue in the Arthur to be honest.

Kirby
15-09-2017, 09:43 AM
The whole 'best view' thing is subjective really isn't it?

Personally I find the sideways view is like watching tennis and the upper tier reminds me of playing Sensible Soccer on the Amiga.

I like the back of the Holmesdale Lower Tier as the atmosphere's better yet you're still high enough to see all of the action.

It really depends what you're looking for though. As he's a lad in his early 20s I'd go with the Holmesdale Lower and save the other stands 'til you're married/retired ;)

Johnnieboy
15-09-2017, 09:45 AM
We had tickets in the Gallery when it opened but personally I didn't like it as I felt a bit detached from the rest of the ground so moved downstairs. Others love it of course, and once Selhurst is double tier all the way round I might feel different ;-)

GreatGonzo
15-09-2017, 10:30 AM
I can't believe it took seven posts.

(Kudos to those who've answered seriously, too.)

The BBS isn't what it used to be.

No mention of the 19% yet either!!!!

Oh no, wait, there you go, I just did.

Sidney Kickit
15-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Back of the lower Holmesdale gives you nearly the elevation of the upper tier, plus the atmosphere of the lower. Block E or F is central and far enough from the fanatics you don't have to stand but can still hear them. Protection for the elements and quick access to the food and drink concessions at half time and quick entry / exit.

Spindle
15-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Have you considered that most of the locations you are talking about are sold out? Pretty much the Arthur is the only realistic option

west eagle
15-09-2017, 11:52 AM
take him down the Holmesdale for a few beers before & he wont mind where he sits/stands.

oh and a Crystals Calendar is always a good start as a present.

Forever Stripes
15-09-2017, 12:12 PM
The Lower Holmesdale gets my vote. Good view, no TV gantries or pillars in the way, and unless in the front few rows good view of everything. Generally a reasonable atmosphere there although it depends where you sit recently.

Yes some typical BBS remarks but I say all credit to the lady for registering etc just to ask for her boyfriend. Really amazed no one has dug her out for saying she is more "accustomed to Craven Cottage". Hope you have a good day. It may even be the start of your own conversion to the Palace way of life.

PremierPalace
15-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Oh dear.What a shame.Premier Palace eh?Not a glory hunter yourself?

Oh yeah I forgot that a name on a forum dictates whether you are a glory hunter or not :jerkit: as other people have said to you, there are several reasons people can't attend. Work, money, where they live, other commitments etc.

It's a shame that the BBS is subject to posters like you, who can't just let someone ask for some friendly advice and let people who actually do give a shit and want to help, answer.

For the record I have a ST in the Holmesdale, and have been a fan all my life, not that I owe you any kind of explanation.

A Wooden Fish On Wheels
15-09-2017, 03:12 PM
If you and your boyfriend like it a bit more raucous and don't mind standing up... Fnarr fnarr.... say no more.

Spindle
15-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Oh yeah I forgot that a name on a forum dictates whether you are a glory hunter or not :jerkit: as other people have said to you, there are several reasons people can't attend. Work, money, where they live, other commitments etc.

It's a shame that the BBS is subject to posters like you, who can't just let someone ask for some friendly advice and let people who actually do give a shit and want to help, answer.

For the record I have a ST in the Holmesdale, and have been a fan all my life, not that I owe you any kind of explanation.

Afraid not. Here you are ranked, and anything pre BBS registration is written off because you or Palace didn't exist prior, and then the weight of your opinion correlates directly to that.

Have you PM'd him declaring your level of devotion? I think he's the Gatekeeper of the High Temple of Fanaticism.

Katy
15-09-2017, 03:59 PM
This is all great stuff, it seems like upper/lower Holmesdale are the best bets. Thanks!

As for the absolute helmet in the corner trying to relate loyalty to the club to how many games they've been able to see: your logic is flawed on all levels. If the only 'dedicated' Palace fans were only the ones in the stands every match then you'd have a pretty small fanbase and a rather large financial problem :) support comes from everywhere, not just from the fans lucky enough to be at Selhurst regularly.

Thanks to all for your advice! Makes things a lot easier

Dodger
15-09-2017, 04:04 PM
Lol @ Se9 eagles you absolute helmet.

SeaEagle
15-09-2017, 04:11 PM
For a nicer matchday experience I would say Upper Hol or Main Stand. If you're struggling to get tickets in a good position then have a look at Twickets.

TAK
15-09-2017, 04:12 PM

That made me smile.

bigend1
15-09-2017, 04:13 PM

Getting to a palace game costs me more than the cost of a season ticket by some margin.

I try to get to two or three games a year so shove it up your arse superfan!

Cpfc72-MB
15-09-2017, 04:20 PM
LOL. Good on ya Katy

mether
15-09-2017, 04:31 PM
This is all great stuff, it seems like upper/lower Holmesdale are the best bets. Thanks!

As for the absolute helmet in the corner trying to relate loyalty to the club to how many games they've been able to see: your logic is flawed on all levels. If the only 'dedicated' Palace fans were only the ones in the stands every match then you'd have a pretty small fanbase and a rather large financial problem :) support comes from everywhere, not just from the fans lucky enough to be at Selhurst regularly.

That told him. :lux:

Se9 eagles
15-09-2017, 06:43 PM
That told him. :lux:

Agreed!

mcmean
15-09-2017, 07:13 PM

:supergrin:

King William
15-09-2017, 07:25 PM

Will you change your user name to Championship Palace soon? (And then maybe League 1 Palace)

Lombardo 888
16-09-2017, 07:13 AM
Only my personal opinion of course but I have been sitting in the main stand for about 150 years so for cup games we sit in the Holmesdale upper tier for a different view. It's nice up there with a good unobstructed panoramic view but for me, the 'whole view' of the pitch and the distance from the action is not as good as the sideways views. Stevenson lounge is pretty good also. Welcome to Palace.

Salad_Burnet
16-09-2017, 08:36 AM

People are only hating on SE9 Eagles because it's a woman asking. SJ era and there'd be a baying mob the other way, rather than a fawning mob in the OP's favour.

Katy
16-09-2017, 11:03 AM
People are only hating on SE9 Eagles because it's a woman asking. SJ era and there'd be a baying mob the other way, rather than a fawning mob in the OP's favour.

Or just that any normal person, regardless of gender, would understand the fact that not everyone has the means to be able to go to Selhurst regularly? Frankly, it's really a basic idea that has nothing to do with gender